Corporate and finance in Dominican Republic
At Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández, the corporate practice is jointly led by Roberto Rizik, who is highly regarded for his expertise in project finance and M&A, and Sarah De León, noted for her experience in joint ventures and foreign investment work, among other areas. The department is adept at handling a wide range of corporate matters, and is well known for its capabilities in finance and transactional work, which it handles for banking, technology, manufacturing and pharmaceutical companies. Mary Fernández and Jaime Senior jointly head the finance practice. Eileen Jiménez has expertise in project finance and M&A; senior associate Fernando Marranzini is 'completely business-oriented' and provides 'timely, clear and useful advice'.
‘Senior associate Fernando Marranzini has the necessary knowledge, but in addition to this he is completely business-oriented and provides timely, clear and useful advice‘.
Banco BHD León
Cisneros Group / Tropicalia
Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc.
Zona Franca Industrial de Las Américas
Central American Bank for Economic Integration (CABEI)
Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica (BCIE)
Cooperativa de Leche Dos Pinos
Johnson & Johnson
- Advised the Evertec Group on an $800m loan from the Bank of America.
- Advising Scotiabank on the upsizing of a $383m and an €18m loan to Phoenix Tower International for the expansion of its wireless infrastructure.
- Acts as local counsel to Johnson & Johnson regarding its corporate activities in the Dominican Republic.
- Acted as local counsel to consumer products company Spectrum Brands on the $2bn restructuring of its local business operations, involving the acquisition by Energizer of the client’s global battery and portable lighting business.
- Assisted PedidosYa with its acquisition of Movil Media, which owned and operated the online food delivery service DeliveryRD.
The 'dynamic' team at OMG stands out for its 'high level of commitment and dedication'. The practice is noted for its strong capabilities in assisting clients from the financial sector, with lender-side mandates keeping the group particularly busy recently. It is also adept at handling high-value M&A, restructuring work and acquisitions, and financial regulation is another area of expertise. Key names in the team include corporate law expert Leonel Melo; Esperanza Cabral, noted for her expertise in restructurings and M&A; Manuel Troncoso, who is very experienced in financing work; and international practice director Juan Alcalde.
‘A high level of commitment and dedication‘.
Banco Dominicano del Progreso
Corporación Interamericana para el Desarrollo de Infraestructura (CIFI)
International Finance Corporation
Putney Capital Management
- Advised Inter-American Investment Corporation on the registration of its first local currency bond programme in the Dominican Republic, with an aggregate value of $204m.
- Acted as local counsel to Energizer on its acquisition of Spectrum Brands’ global battery and portable lighting business.
The 'extremely reliable' team at Pellerano & Herrera provides 'clear and practical solutions' for international and domestic clients, including a number of household name companies, on a broad range of corporate matters. The department has solid capabilities in financing mandates, and is equally adept in high-value M&A, where it has an impressive track record. Recent work includes assisting Parkland Fuel Corporation with the acquisition of a 75% stake in Sol Investments, with an aggregate value of $1.21bn; Carolina Léon led on this matter. The firm also stands out for its dedicated Chinese desk, which draws on the expertise of a multi-disciplinary team to assist Chinese companies investing in the country. Managing partner Ricardo Pellerano is noted for his extensive expertise in M&A and transactional work, and Mariángela Pellerano counts project finance as a key strength. Joanna Bonnelly handles financing mandates, and Alessandra Di Carlo is very experienced in capital markets transactions.
‘Extremely reliable team‘.
‘They provide clear and practical solutions‘.
Uber International Holding
Novartis International AG
Citigroup Global Markets Inc.
Banco Popular Dominicano
Parkland Fuel Corporation
International Finance Corporation
International Development Bank
- Assisted Parkland Fuel Corporation with its $500m senior unsecured notes offering.
- Assisted Novartis with transferring its assets in the Dominican Republic as part of the separation and spin-off of the Alcon eye care business.
Squire Patton Boggs
Alejandro Peña-Prieto and Pedro Gamundi jointly head the practice at the Dominican Republic office of Squire Patton Boggs, which stands out for its extensive office network and its track record in high-profile transactions in the country. The department is very strong in regulatory compliance work, project finance, asset-based financing and large-scale M&A, where it acts for clients in the energy, civil aviation, financial services and healthcare sectors, among others. Rhina Martinez Brea is very experienced in financial and contractual matters, and Awilda Alcántara-Bourdier is noted for her expertise in M&A. Miguel Cano and Joey Núñez Aybar are key contacts at the senior associate level.
E. León Jimenes, S.A.
Aerodom Lending Group
Rivia Business Corporation
Caterpillar Financial Services, Caterpillar Credito, S.A. de C.V
Implementos y Maquinarias, S. A. (IMCA)
Diageo Latín America
Martí Petroleum Group
Gol Transportes Aéreos
- Assisted the Aerodom Lending Group with the renegotiation of a $533m loan granted to airport operator AERODOM.
- Advising beverages company Diageo Latin America and its affiliate, Diageo Dominicana, on corporate matters.
- Assisting Caterpillar Financial Services and Caterpillar Credito with structuring asset-backed financings for purchasing equipment.
- Acting as local counsel to Medtronic on corporate and contractual matters.
- Assisted Rivia Business Corporation with its acquisition of a controlling stake in Empresas Dominicanas (EDOM).
Castillo y Castillo
Castillo y Castillo's 'excellent' team is 'very efficient, resolute and above all professional'. Financing instructions from clients in the banking sector have formed the bulk of the department's recent workload, and the practice is equally strong in debt capital markets. Recent work for the group includes Práxedes Castillo Báez assisting Altice International with the issuance of two senior notes offerings, worth $1.6bn and €1.4bn respectively. Castillo Báez jointly heads the practice with Sebastián Jiménez, who is very experienced in financing matters. Luis Pimentel and senior associate Maria Portes are also active in this sector.
‘They offer an excellent service‘.
‘An excellent team; very efficient, resolute and above all professional‘.
Banco Popular Dominicano
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos (APAP)
Banco Multiple Ademi
Banco Caribe Internacional
Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana
Central American Bank for Economic Integration (CABEI)
Agence Française de Développement
Vishay Hirel Systems
- Assisted Banco Popular Dominicano with a $60m loan to Latin American Free Zone Investment Dominicana for the construction of industrial warehouses in Itabo Industrial Park.
- Assisted Banco Popular Dominicano with a $24m loan to Emerald Solar Energy to develop a 25MW solar power plant.
- Advised Altice International with the issuance of two senior notes offerings.
Commended for its 'knowledge, professionalism and capability', Jiménez Peña's practice has been kept especially busy with M&A and energy-related work, and is noted for its strength in corporate and financial restructuring, fund structuring and project finance. The department counts multinational financial institutions and Fortune 500 companies among its clients, and is jointly led by Luis Julio Jiménez, financing and securities expert Katherine Rosa, and Vilma Veras, who is noted for her expertise in M&A. Marcos Peña Rodríguez is well versed in project finance matters. Senior associate Jennifer Beauchamps and associate Gisselle Valera are also names to note.
‘They are committed, responsible, detail-oriented and have good general knowledge of various sectors‘.
‘Knowledge, professionalism, and capability‘.
American Airlines, Inc.
Grupo Punta Cana
Banco BHD Leon
Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Interamerican Development Bank
International Finance Corporation
- Advising Banco BHD Leon on a $15m loan to Consorcio Azucarero Central as part of an agricultural development project.
- Advising FCDS Advanced on its $5m loan to DOCALSA for the purpose of company development.
- Assisting financial institution DEG with its $15m senior loan to Banesco Banco Múltiple for setting up a credit programme for privately owned small- and medium-sized companies in the Dominican Republic.
- Advising FCDS Advanced on its $5m loan to DESAS for the purpose of financial restructuring.
Medina Garrigó Abogados houses a 'professional' team, which garners praise for its 'great sense of integrity'. The department is well versed in transactional work, including M&A, and has a solid track record in assisting US-based clients as local counsel with acquisitions of local entities. Regulatory work is another area of strength. Name partner Marielle Garrigó leads the practice. Other key members of the team include junior partner Laura Bobea and senior associates Patricia Álvarez and Melissa Silié.
‘A professional team with a great sense of integrity‘.
Autopista del Nordeste (ADN)
Boulevard Turístico del Atlántico (BTA)
Compañía de Electriccidad de Puerto Plata (CEPP)
Dominicana de Cales (DOCALSA)
- Acted as local counsel to medical devices company ConvaTec Group on the client’s $1.7bn debt refinancing.
- Advising Compañía de Electricidad de Puerto Plata (CEPP) on the sale of more than two million shares in the company, with an aggregate value of $700m, to one of its shareholders.
- Assisting the International Finance Corporation with a $110m loan to LatAm Logistic Properties for leasing and constructing warehouses in Central America.
- Assisted US-based company Dynamics Payments with its $2m acquisition of Agilisa Technologies.
Biaggi Abogados excels in regulatory matters, and the team is also equipped to advise on M&A, project finance, contractual matters and corporate restructuring. Day-to-day corporate work also features in the department's caseload. Energy, real estate, construction and tourism are among the key sector strengths for the team. Name partner Gustavo Biaggi heads the practice in conjunction with Rosa María Mena, who counts project finance, tax, commercial work and regulatory matters among her areas of expertise, and Edward Piña, who is noted for his experience in corporate governance and banking. Brenda Morales is also a key name.
‘They are professional, courteous and think outside the box. They have a “never say never” attitude and look at problems from many different aspects‘.
Puerto Plata de Electricidad
INVERAVANTE – Grupo Eolico
AC Engineering Home Done
DSV – Panalpina
Amstel Investment – Game Technology
- Advised Bupa on the regulatory aspects of its $1m investment in its local subsidiary.
- Advised Grupo Selman on an engineering, procurement and construction contract for the construction of a $10m cruise terminal in the port of Puerto Plata.
- Assisted Spanish energy company Ecoener with the corporate aspects of setting up a renewable energy project in the Dominican Republic.
ECIJA DVMS has 'solid knowledge of the financial regulations of the Dominican Republic and of the region, which makes them an invaluable partner in financial transactions in the capital markets'; its broad office network and significant presence in Spain and Latin America are particular draws. Recent work for the department includes assisting CCI Puesto de Bolsa with the structuring of an equity securities trust, launched on the stock market by Pasteurizadora Rica, as the first share-based public offering trust to be issued in the Dominican Republic. Gabriel Dejarden, well known for his corporate expertise, jointly heads the practice alongside financing expert Polibio Valenzuela.
‘They are friendly, service-oriented and professional‘.
‘A very well-prepared team‘.
‘The team has solid knowledge of the financial regulations of the Dominican Republic and of the region, which makes them an invaluable partner in financial transactions on the capital markets‘.
Pfizer Central America & Caribbean
Stewart Title Latin America
Findasense República Dominicana, S.R.L.
St. Louis Cardinals
CCI Puesto de Bolsa, S.A.
Asset Wealth Management, S.A.
- Advised CCI Puesto de Bolsa on the structuring of an equity securities trust, launched on the stock market by Pasteurizadora Rica.
Guzmán Ariza's corporate practice houses a 'well-rounded' team of 'dynamic lawyers'. Acquisitions and cross-border investments have been prominent in the team's recent workload, and the team also has substantial expertise in bankruptcy and restructuring. Energy, tax, media, mining, agriculture and financial services are sector strengths for the group. The practice is jointly led by founding partner Fabio Guzmán Ariza, Alberto Reyes, who handles corporate matters for infrastructure and construction companies, corporate law expert Fabio Guzmán Saladín and La Romana-based Alfredo Guzmán, who has particular expertise in real estate. Senior counsel Pamela Benzán is also noted.
‘A multi-disciplinary team with in-depth knowledge‘.
‘A well-rounded team‘.
‘They provide timely, precise answers and solutions‘.
Reckitt Benckiser LLC
SH Cacao CO Partners LP
Digital Works Company
UBS Group Investment Bank
General Cocoa Company – Coffee America
Asset Wealth Management
- Assisting Turkish television production company Acun Medya with corporate and other aspects of the production of a television series project, Survivor, which is being filmed in the Dominican Republic.
- Advising entertainment development company Katmandu Group on opening a theme park in Punta Cana.
- Representing Arconim Constructora in its $20m restructuring.
In operation since November 2018 and drawing on the vast experience of its partners, Pellerano Nadal is well equipped to advise domestic and international clients on corporate, finance, capital markets and regulatory matters. Managing partner Luis Rafael Pellerano is well known in the market for his established strength in financing, M&A and capital markets deals; he heads the practice in conjunction with fellow founding partner Gustavo Mena, who is noted for his expertise in cross-border transactions, and senior counsel Urania Paulino, who has over two decades of experience across a broad range of corporate matters, with particular strength in regulatory law. Senior associate Belkys Génesis Rodríguez and associate Eduardo Pellerano are also key contacts.
JetBlue Airways Corporation
Ferrari North America
Continental Negocios, S.A.
Honda North America, Inc.
Procter & Gamble
Mitsubishi Electric US
Bank of America
Belfond Enterprises (Pederson and Partners)
Goldquest Dominicana, SRL
Barrick Gold Corporation
CHT Energy GmbH
New Fortress Energy
SeaOne Holdings, LLC
Tullow New Ventures
- Assisting the Cosentino Group with terminating its distribution agreement with local distributor Abastel.
- Advising Continental Negocios, a subsidiary of Grupo Familia, on establishing its business operations in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisting Procter & Gamble on a commercial law matter.
Pereyra & Asociados
Luis Miguel Pereyra and Emma Mejía Batlle jointly head Pereyra & Asociados' corporate and commercial practice, which counts high-value financing and multi-jurisdictional M&A among its key capabilities. Other areas of practice include joint ventures, restructurings and day-to-day corporate matters, and its client base includes retail, food and beverage, telecoms, mining, banking, energy, technology and manufacturing companies. The firm also benefits from its membership of international law firm network INTERLAW. Associate Aseret Roque handles contractual work.
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Caribbean Property Group
Bed Bath and Beyond
Archer Daniels Midland Company
Haina International Terminals – HIT
- Assisted YouTube with its launch in the Dominican Republic.
- Advising mining company Industrias Gat on all aspects of its joint venture with Omya.
- Advising Starbucks on its entry into the Dominican Republic.
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti is commended for providing 'timely, in-depth corporate advice' to clients in the energy, banking, technology and healthcare sectors, among others. The practice is well known for its solid track record in cross-border finance and corporate matters. Managing partner Georges Santoni Recio heads the department in conjunction with José Maldonado Stark, who is very experienced in international project finance; Luis Heredia Valenzuela, who is noted for his expertise in contractual matters for mining, telecoms and agribusiness companies; and Puerto Plata-based Román Medina Diplan. Ariel Jáquez Núñez, who made partner in 2019, is also a name to note.
‘They provide timely, in-depth corporate advice‘.
‘A multi-disciplinary team‘.
‘Ariel Jáquez Nuñez is exceptional; prompt and thorough‘.
White Oak Global Advisors, LLC
Encina Business Credit
Siemens Mobility, SRL
Prizm Global Technology
Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc
American Baseball Imaging
- Advised AIG on the Dominican Republic aspects of its UK-based restructuring process.
- Assisted White Oak Global Advisors with its $260m loan to technology company PCS Wireless.
- Advising Encina Business Credit on a $25m loan to Encore Repair Services.
Andrés Emilio Bobadilla Fernández and María Del Mar Rodríguez jointly head Bobadilla Abogados' practice, which is instructed by international and domestic clients on commercial, debt capital markets, restructuring and multi-jurisdictional M&A transactions. Senior associate Ernesto Bournigal is another key contact.
DMK Abogados counts real estate-related work as a key capability, and is also active in financing and cross-border foreign investment. The firm reports an uptick in tourism-related instructions, and has been kept busy assisting clients from the hospitality sector with a range of corporate work. Managing partner Enrique de Marchena heads the practice alongside corporate law expert Patricia Read, who has additional expertise in customs and immigration. Andrés Ceara and associate Luis Hernández are also noted.
The Punta Cana Group
SENATOR HOTELS & RESORT
DAS MEDICAL, S.R.L.
Oriflame Dominicana, S.A.S.
STENDHAL DOMINICANA, S.A.S
Distribution Network Telecommunications, S.A.S.
- Assists Laurelton Jewelry, a subsidiary of Tiffany & Co., with a broad range of corporate matters; the firm assisted the same client with setting up its operations in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisting Cosmed Group, a sterilization and pasteurization company, with the corporate aspects of setting up a facility in a free zone area in the Dominican Republic.
Ulises Cabrera Abogados
Ulises Cabrera Abogados' 'excellent' corporate department is especially active in the pharmaceutical sector, with restructuring mandates forming the backbone of the group's recent workload. Key names in the team include founding partner Ulises Cabrera, who has over 50 years' experience in corporate and commercial matters; the 'always highly prepared and available' Monica Villafaña, who counts corporate transactions, project finance and M&A among her areas of expertise; and senior associate Paola Romero, who handles regulatory compliance work. At the associate level, Paula Hernández is noted. In March 2020, José Cruz Campillo joined from Jimenez Pena as managing partner.
‘The corporate department is excellent‘.
‘The members of the Ulises Cabrera Abogados team have a great sense of dedication‘.
‘Monica Villafaña is always highly prepared and available; a legal strategist, she goes above and beyond in her analysis of a case‘.
Fresenius Medical Care
Instituto Espaillat Cabral
North Life Pharma
GlaxoSmithKline Dominican Republic
Junta Agroempesarial Dominican (JAC)
West, S. A.
Bolsa Agroempresarial de la República Dominicana, S.A (BARD)
Megax Business Pharma
The Fort Group
Constructora Pérez Domínguez
Instituto Espaillat Cabral Centro Oftalmológico
Auto Europa – Porsche Center Santo Domingo
MR Luxury Villas
Antonio P. Haché
Sama WiFi Mexico
Asociación Bonao de Ahorros y Préstamos (ABONAP)
Corporación de Servicios Financieros y Alianzas, S.A. (COSEFI)
- Assisting Siemens with a major restructuring, involving the divestiture of 100% of the shares in the client’s Dominican Republic subsidiary to Siemens Gas and Power Holding.
- Assisting North Life Pharma with its entry into the Dominican Republic market.
Cáceres Torres' practice is noted for its capabilities in restructuring and contractual matters, and reports an uptick in financing mandates involving investments in real estate-related projects. The firm counts a number of domestic and international banks among its clients, and also acts for food and beverage, mining and agribusiness companies, among others. Key figures in the team include Gelda María Cáceres, Rafael Cáceres, managing partner Juan Manuel Cáceres, who is well known for his established strength in corporate law, and senior associate Laura Consuegra. Junior associate Angela Alfau is active in banking and real estate matters.
‘Their strong points are their sense of responsibility, their dedication to clients and to achieving results, and their flexibility in working with all the parties to close the deal‘.
‘They have excellent communication skills‘.
Molinos Modernos, S.A.
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Falconbridge Dominicana SA
Zenith Crop Science
Corporación Multi Inversiones – CMI
Storck Dominicana S.R.L.
Molinos del Ozama, S.A.
Grupo Industrial Alimenticio S.A
Universal Music Colombia
- Assisted Zenith Crop Sciences with corporate restructuring, including opening a branch in the Dominican Republic.
Commended for its 'broad knowledge of the sector', EY Law Central America's practice has been kept particularly busy assisting with syndicated loan agreements, restructuring and acquisition mandates; clients are drawn from the construction, energy and banking sectors, to name a few. Practice head Thania Gómez garners praise for her 'very clear leadership'. Senior manager Julio César Muñoz is also noted.
‘An excellent team‘.
‘They have a broad knowledge of the sector‘.
‘Thania Gómez shows very clear leadership‘.
Ingeniería Estrella, S.A.
Acero Estrella, S.A.
Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana
Grupo Sur, S.A.
Constructora J. Fortuna
G MAT, Administradora de Fondos, S.A.
Affinity Marketing International, S.R.L
- Assisted Ingeniería Estrella with obtaining a $125m loan from Citibank for restructuring its debt in the Dominican Republic.
JJ Roca & Asociados
JJ Roca & Asociados' 'excellent' team is jointly led by Jaime Roca and Sharin Pablo, and is well versed in advising on, among other areas, free zones, distribution agreements, securities, tax and contractual work for clients drawn from a broad range of sectors.
‘An excellent team‘.
Communicate to Connect C2C
Buckner Dominicana, Inc.
Think 360 Marketing and All Things, LLC
Joni & Friends
One Child Matters
- Assisting a financial institution with the closure of its subsidiary in the Dominican Republic.
RAFUL SICARD POLANCO & FERNÁNDEZ
Especially active in the aviation sector, RAFUL SICARD POLANCO & FERNÁNDEZ's practice counts corporate real estate and project finance as key strengths. Recent highlights include María Esther Fernández assisting Sky Airline with the corporate aspects of opening its first branch in the Dominican Republic. Ernesto Raful, noted for his expertise in labour law, maritime law expert Sara Sicard, Hilda Polanco, who advises on securities and telecoms matters, and associate Sabrina Angulo are names to note.
Zona Franca Industrial Las Américas
Centro de Medicina Avanzada Dr. Abel González
Phillip Morris Dominicana
Bolsa y Mercado de Valores de la República Dominicana
RDVAL Proveedora de Precios
AMAZON Web Services (AWS)
Grupo Boluda Fos Corporation SRL
Beaumont & Son
Allianz Global Insurance Company
- Advised Sky Airline on establishing a branch in the Dominican Republic.