Employment in Croatia
Praised for its 'strong team ethic, professionalism and approachability', Žurić i Partneri provides a 'very responsive service' to domestic and international corporates on the employment law issues associated with M&A mandates, ongoing human resources support, employment handbook drafting and revisions, and GDPR compliance. Senior associate Luka Vukelić provides 'high-quality' advice to foreign clients on the employment law issues of conducting business in Croatia.
Miroslav Plašćar; Ana Vrsaljko Metelko
‘The firm’s responsiveness makes it a very good collaborator, as you can rely on them at any moment.‘
‘Luka Vukelić is well prepared and easy to work with. He provides good quality professional support in various legal matters.‘
‘Luka Vukelić provides high-quality advice.’
‘Strong team ethic, professionalism and approachability.‘
‘Very responsive service.‘
Babic & Partners Law Firm provides 'timely and clear advice' to domestic and multinational corporates across a range of matters, including on GDPR compliance, employee share offerings and whistleblower issues. Team head Marija Gregoric provides 'high-quality advice' and has been particularly active of late advising on post-integration employment issues associated with several large-scale M&A mandates in the pharmaceutical space.
‘The firm provides timely and clear advice, and meet budgetary constraints when applicable.‘
‘Marija Gregoric’s responsiveness is great, and there is never a debate about contacting another firm for advice in Croatia.‘
‘Marija Gregoric provides high-quality advice.‘
Bardek, Lisac, Mušec, Skoko in association with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH (Austria)
Bardek, Lisac, Mušec, Skoko in association with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH (Austria) regularly handles the associated domestic employment issues relating to major cross-border transactions handled by the firm. In addition, the team handles standalone non-contentious and contentious employment work for international clients from the retail, technology, energy and pharmaceutical sectors, including advice relating to GDPR compliance, severance packages and collective bargaining agreements. Team head Ana-Marija Skoko is recommended.
VSB Holding GmbH
Bdar Center Inc.
Österreichische Post AG
Siemens AG Oesterreich
- Advising the SEE arm of Wabco on a range of employment matters, including drafting employment contract templates, developing guidelines for compliant track records, including working hours and annual leave, employment termination support, and other commercial and employment-specific support.
- Assisting luxury, app-based transfer services provider, Connecto, with the full set of services across several European jurisdictions, including coordinated employment and tax matters.
- Advising the Croatian arm of Becton Dickinson on the full range of employment matters, including complex termination strategies.
Divjak, Topic & Bahtijarevic provides a 'very responsive and client-oriented' service across the spectrum of day-to-day employment matters (including drafting of internal employment policies and GDPR compliance) for multinational corporates with operations in Croatia, including Heineken and Japan Tobacco International. 'Accessible and supportive' senior associate Andrej Žmikić has a 'wide spectrum of knowledge and practical experience', including in relation to TUPE, collective bargaining, and contentious work.
‘The firm displays high levels of professionalism and customer care.‘
‘Very responsive and client-oriented.‘
‘Outstanding support and collegial manner.‘
‘Andrej Žmikić is an excellent employment lawyer.‘
‘Andrej Žmikić: wide spectrum of knowledge and practical experience.‘
Heineken Croatia Ltd.
Globe Trade Centre
Japan Tobacco International
AL-KO Geräte GmbH
- Advising real estate development company, Globe Trade Centre, on the drafting of termination letters, employment and similar agreements, severance payments, bonuses, planning and restructuring of current employees within the company, among other matters.
- Acting for German perfume and cosmetics retailer, Douglas Holding, on day-to-day employment matters, including the drafting of termination letters, templates of employment and similar agreements, internal employment policies, and on GDPR compliance.
- Assisted German DIY and garden equipment provider AL-KO Geräte with the employment aspects of its acquisition of a Croatian entity.
Mamić Perić Reberski Rimac Law Firm LLC
As well as handling employment law matters in the context of a standalone event (including in relation to the employment law issues surrounding M&A, Mamić Perić Reberski Rimac Law Firm LLC also regularly provides ongoing employment advice to large domestic and international corporates on their day-to-day business operations in the country. Nikola Kokot is at the forefront of the most significant mandates handled by the team, including in relation to collective bargaining issues and health and safety matters.
TRAIN HUNGARY-Zagreb subsidiary
Exclusive representatives of L’Oreal and Aveda in Croatia
McKinsey Croatian Branch
Pepco Croatia d.o.o.
- Advising Train Hungary on the employment aspects of its Croatian operations; including representing it in over ten ongoing high-profile labour law-related disputes.
- Advising European media group Styria on employment issues, including recently advising on its GDPR requirements.
- Advising the local subsidiary of global management consultancy firm, McKinsey, on labour and employment law issues.
Headed by Dora Gaži-Kovačević, Wolf Theiss - Zagreb branch's employment team provides 'responsive and efficient' advice to clients on purely domestic matters, as well as in the context of strategic regional mandates throughout CEE and SEE, where it benefits from lawyers on the ground in key jurisdictions, including Serbia and Poland. Kovačević is particularly accomplished at providing the employment-related advice pursuant to M&A and strategic restructuring, including on transfer of employee issues. 'Very knowledgeable' consultant Ira Perić-Ostojić has 'extensive experience advising international clients in Croatia'.
Dora Gaži Kovačević
‘The firm offers an excellent service, they are prompt, business-oriented and provide high quality legal advice on both a local and cross-border basis.‘
‘Ira Perić-Ostojić is very knowledgeable, responsive and professional.‘
‘Ira Perić-Ostojić has extensive experience advising international clients in Croatia.‘
Addiko Bank (formerly Hypo Alpe Adria Bank)
Adriatic Gate (International Container Terminal Services)
Align Technology BV
Also International Services GmbH
Arrow ECS Central
BU Power Sistemi d.o.o.
Digea – Digital Services Provider
DMG Mori Austria International GmbH
Eli Lilly (Suisse) S.A.
Granite Services International
Hulla & Co Human Dinamics
MediaCom Central Europe Zagreb
Monster Energy Europe Limited
Optima (previously Redknee)
The Walt Disney Company
Visa Europe Services
- Advising Adriatic Gate on a range of employment matters, including on GDPR compliance, representation in litigation cases and dealings with the labour inspectorate.
- Assisting Vacansoleil with various employment law matters in Croatia, including on the preparation of employment contracts and internal bylaws, occupational health and safety issues, and representing the client in dealings with the labour inspection.
- Advising The Walt Disney Company on Croatian employment law aspects related to its acquisition of 21st Century Fox.
Law Firm Glinska & Miškovic Ltd provides ongoing employment law advice (including on employment handbook drafting, the termination and enforcement of employment contracts) to an impressive roster of domestic and international companies. Associate Ivona Anđelović has a good reputation for employment-related work, both in relation to the accompanying labour law advice pursuant to M&A and restructuring work, as well as for employment litigation.
H.M.Z. Beteiligungs-, Finanzierungs- und Management GmbH
SPAR Hrvatska d.o.o.
Polish Embassy in Zagreb
WYG Savjetovanje d.o.o.
Beckman Coulter d.o.o.
IR REAL ESTATE LEASING d.o.o. u likvidaciji
SGS ADRIATICA d.o.o.
P.S.C. Zagreb d.o.o.
Uber International Holding B.V.
Shire Pharmaceuticals Group
Mavenir Systems Inc.
- Acting for Adac Service Adria on a range of employment issues, including on the negotiation, termination and enforcement of employment contracts, HR strategies and organisational structures.
- Advising SGS Adriatic on a range of employment law issues, including advice on HR policies and drafting and implementing employment rule books; advice relating to organisational change; assistance with negotiating departures and settlement agreements; as well as data protection and privacy matters.
- Assisting Uber with a range of employment-related matters, including preparation of various rule books, guidance, contracts and also advice on various regulatory questions.
KOVACEVIC PRPIC SIMEUNOVIC LLC provides 'precise and responsive advice' across the gamut of employment matters for the firm's growing roster of multinational and SME corporate clients. The 'exceptional' Danijela Simeunović has recently been particularly active in relation to GDPR compliance matters.
Martina Prpić; Danijela Simeunović; Dinka Kovačević
‘They really operate as team, when a leading attorney for some reason is not able to attend or act there is always some other member who can jump in and that person is always up to the date with current topic.‘
‘The team provides precise and responsive advice.‘
‘The team has an in-depth knowledge of all aspects of the banking and finance sector as well as GDPR matters.‘
‘Danijela Simeunović is an exceptional lawyer who is knowledgeable and practical.‘
‘The highly regarded Dinka Kovačević constantly strives for the highest quality of work and thinks ahead, so she can pre-warn clients on a possible problem.‘
BUTAN PLIN d.o.o. member of LIQUIGAS S.P.A.
RWE Croatia d.o.o.
NEUROTH SLUŠNA POMAGALA d.o.o., member of Neuroth group
Ytong Porobeton d.o.o. member of XELLA Group
GENERAL ELECTRIC HRVATSKA d.o.o.
PELIKAN KLADIONICE d.o.o.
SYNLAB HRVATSKA – Polyclinic
SWEDISH EMBASSY in Croatia
FERRATUM GROUP and Ferratum Bank plc
OTP Banka d.d. (formerly Splitska banka d.d.)
- Advising Austrian family company, Neuroth, across a wide range of services, including preparing distribution contracts and drafting and implementing employee reward schemes.
- Representing Pelikan Kladionice in a number of its employment and damages-related litigation cases.
- Advising Planetaris on a range of matters, including on the drafting of employment by-laws, as well as advising on employment termination and drafting relevant documentation
Matekovic Law Firm provides an 'excellent legal service in the field of employment' and is noted for its 'robust protection' of employers. 'Proactive, solutions- and detail-oriented' team head Krešimir Mateković regularly handles employment work for the local subsidiaries of major multinational pharmaceutical companies, including Novo Nordisk and Sanofi Aventis. Associate Ivan Sabljić is 'constructive and detail oriented'.
‘It provides an excellent legal service in the field of employment.’
‘Krešimir Mateković is proactive, solutions and detailed-oriented.‘
‘Ivan Sabljić is reliable and deeply involved in employment matters.‘
‘Ivan Sabljić is constructive and detail oriented.‘
‘Dora Adzic is very hardworking and dedicated to employment issues.’
‘Dora Adzic is a smart thinker, reliable and solution-oriented.‘
Adriatic Luxury Development
China Dynamics (Holdings) Limited
Heta Asset Resolution
Luxottica South Eastern Europe
NOVO NORDISK Hrvatska
Raiffeisen – Leasing
RL – ETA
Sanofi Aventis Groupe
- Acted for Novo Nordisk on several employment law matters, including in relation to termination agreements for employees based in Croatia as a result of a reorganisation in the company.
- Negotiated the termination of two executive positions within the Croatian Sanofi subsidiary and subsequently drafted the relevant termination agreements.
- Drafting employment agreements and amendments to agreements for architectural design company Proarh.
Jointly headed by Jadranka Oreskovic and Zrinka Vrtaric, Oreskovic, Vrtaric and Partners in cooperation with Deloitte Legal regularly provides day-to-day employment support (including most recently a considerable amount of GDPR compliance advice) to domestic and international corporates from across the the retail, manufacturing, life sciences and financial services sectors. Leveraging the firm's cooperation with Deloitte, the team is also well placed to advise on major group restructurings, where in addition to employment considerations it is also well positioned from a corporate and tax perspective.
Jadranka Oreskovic; Zrinka Vrtaric
‘Jadranka Oreskovic provides easy to understand advice.‘
Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure
MAERSK CROATIA Ltd.
ĐURO ĐAKOVIĆ HOLDING
VIRO TVORNICA ŠEĆERA
Peek & Cloppenburg Ltd
Medis Adria Ltd
SDA Croatia Ltd (Aelia group)
Hagleitner Hygiene International GmbH
Johnson & Johnson Ltd.
Croatian Agency for Environment and Nature (CAEN)
City of Zagreb – Zagrebački holding Ltd
- Advising Peek & Cloppenburg on drafting employment contacts and other internal HR-related documents; representation before state authorities – courts in case of individual disputes and state inspectorate.
- Assisting SDA Croatia with day-to-day employment matters, including drafting employment contacts and other internal HR-related documents; representation before state authorities – courts in case of individual disputes and state inspectorate, communication with the client and the works council, interpretation of applicable collective agreement rules.
- Advising Medis Adria on all employment and commercial-related issues (includes drafting various employment related documents, commercial contracts etc.)
Praised for its 'creative and out-of-the-box thinking', Ostermann & Partners LLP provides 'logical and practical advice' to corporates across a range of employment issues, including the drafting of employment and executive contracts, collective bargaining and restructuring plans. Team head Mila Selak has a particularly strong reputation on the contentious front, and has successfully fended off many unlawful redundancy claims brought against a major domestic construction company.
‘The team has strong analytical skills, and is capable of analysing a lot of information in a short period of time.‘
‘Creative and out-of-the-box thinking.‘
‘Provides logical and practical advice.‘
‘The lawyers understood the specificity of the issues, complexity and broader context of the problem.‘
‘Mila Selak is meticulous and responsible, and takes good care of the client’s position.‘
Total Television for telecommunications
- Advising Ikea on various employment matters, including different types of work space conflicts, unions, working-time matters and internal by-laws.
- Defending construction company Osijek-Koteks in several hundred cases brought by employees against claims for unlawful redundancy lay-offs, field allowances and holiday remunerations.
- Representing construction and mining company, Velički kamen, in several hundred cases brought by employees in defence against claims for salary difference according to the branch collective agreement, field allowances and holiday remunerations.
Headed by Hrvoje Vidan - who 'has extensive knowledge of local laws' - Vidan Law Office provides 'strategic and comprehensive advice' to domestic and international corporates across the spectrum of contentious and non-contentious employment matters, including in relation to collective bargaining and trade unions.
‘The professional and friendly team provides responsive and accurate advice.‘
‘The advice was always provided swiftly and of a quality that allowed us to send the result to our clients without having to raise any additional questions or asking for amendments.‘
‘Strategic and comprehensive advice.‘
‘Hrvoje Vidan is very responsive and always delivers the expected quality.‘
‘Hrvoje Vidan has extensive knowledge of local laws.‘
- Advising ENEA Software (in liaison with Squire Patton Boggs) on a cross-border acquisition across five jurisdictions, including handling transfer of undertakings, involving all the assets and employees of the target business.