Boutique law firm Arrieta Mantilla & Asociados is recognised for its solid handling of infrastructure projects, public contracts and public procurement contracts, and has acted as legal advisor to public entities, concessionaires and key players aross the infrastructure sector. Álvaro Mantilla provides legal advice to transnational private companies, and Carlos Gustavo Arrieta Padilla has extensive experience in structuring projects. Recently promoted to the partnership, Álvaro Mantilla Sánchez has broad experience in administrative law and infrastructure projects; while the ‘excellent‘ Yady Villaquirán Castro was recently appointed co-head of the practice. Associate Ramón Enrique Ramírez is also noted for providing legal advice to international private equity and venture capital investment firms, for projects in the areas of renewable energy and sustainable resources management.
Projects in Colombia
Alvaro Mantilla Padilla; Yady Villaquirán Castro; Álvaro Mantilla Sánchez; Ramón Enrique Ramírez Monroy
‘AM&A’s team of lawyers is made up of professionals with excellent preparation and capabilities; they have extensive experience and great prestige in various areas of law, especially in the area of infrastructure, which is the business of our company. Due to the above and because they know and understand our business and specifically our concession contract for several years, we feel very satisfied and calm with the advice we receive. Taking into account the above, we can ensure that the AM&A firm stands out and positively differentiates itself from other firms.‘
‘The professionals of the AM&A office have extensive experience and have demonstrated excellent skills and knowledge in relation to the issues on which they have advised us. We have a high degree of confidence in the quality and timeliness of their advisory services and we turn to them for the issues that are of the greatest importance to our company. We highlight the experience and knowledge of Dr Alvaro Mantilla Padilla, who knows and understands the concession model for infrastructure projects since he began its implementation in Colombia.‘
‘Very good team with active participation of senior members’.
‘What makes this practice unique is the high quality of services and constant and direct communication with the firm. The Arrieta Mantilla team has been with us for more than 15 years during the execution of the road concession contract and they know the particularities of the project in detail. The strengths and abilities that characterise the team that makes up the projects area of the firm, are the coordinated work among its members (where we always have the accompaniment of its partners and top quality lawyers); the deep analysis and a high level of detail of the cases entrusted; and the ability to maintain a direct and trustworthy relationship with the client. For these reasons, the area compares favourably with the teams at other firms.‘
‘Álvaro Mantilla Padilla, is the senior partner who has accompanied us from the beginning, and stands out for his great analytical capacity in the cases, which allows him to provide comprehensive legal advice. Likewise, given the experience of the coordinators Álvaro Mantilla Sánchez and Ramón Enrique Ramírez, and their judicious and detailed study of the cases entrusted to them, the firm manages to project timely and high-quality responses on different issues. As these individual characteristics are present in the same team, synergies are achieved that result in very high quality work and broad communication channels, which makes them outstanding in relation to other competitors.‘
‘It is a team of lawyers with great strength in terms of private/public sector relations and in the structuring of infrastructure projects from the area that they are responsible for (legal).‘
‘Dr Carlos Gustavo Arrieta is a highly prestigious jurist in the country and is recognised in both the public and private sectors, as a person of great rectitude and with correct concepts in his professional field.‘
‘Dr Yady Villaquirán, in turn, is an excellent lawyer with knowledge and experience in public infrastructure projects involving private participation in various sectors; studious, she attends to the details of the issues to be developed in a structured manner.‘
‘Yady Villaquirán is a committed and dedicated lawyer.‘
Concesionaria Vial de los Andes (Coviandes)
Concesionaria Vial Andina (Coviandina)
Concesionaria Vial de Oriente (Covioriente)
Concesionaria Vial del Pacífico (Covipacífico)
Concesionaria Vial del Mar (Covimar)
Estructura Plural Aeropuertos del Suroccidente
Baggerwerken DeCloedt en Zoon
Patrimonio Autónomo Lagos de Torca
Empresas Públicas de Medellín
KPMG Advisory Services
Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional (FDN)
Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Barranquilla
- Advised Coviandes on the negotiation and execution of an amendment to the transaction contract entered into with the ANI for the construction of the Chirajara bridge.
- Permanent legal advice to Covioriente regarding the performance of the Vial del Oriente concession contract entered into with the National Infrastructure Agency, as well as on the contracts executed with its subcontractors.
- Advises Corficolombiana and AENA Desarrollo Internacional on their presentation -as Estructura Plural Aeropuertos del Suroccidente- of a private initiative PPP to manage, operate and maintain the Bonilla Aragón (Cali), Benito Salas (Neiva) and Gerardo Tobar López (Buenaventura) airports.
Brigard Urrutia's 30-strong practice offers legal advice to both national and international banks and investors on their heavyweight banking and infrastructure practices, as well as in the development of complex and breakthrough infrastructure projects. The firm also advises on both private and public finance initiatives relating to the energy sector, and on several road, rail, port, airport, natural resources and mining projects. Seven partners head the practice: Carlos Umaña, who is commended for his knowledge in infrastructure; Carlos Fradique-Méndez, who is active in project finance; César Felipe Rodríguez, who acted as local counsel to Concesión Transversal del Sisga in the review and negotiation of the terms and conditions of a credit and liquidity facility agreement; Claudia Navarro, who advises clients in the energy sector; and Carlos Urrutia Valenzuela works with national and international companies. The final two partners joined the firm in January 2021: María Fernanda Diago from Baker McKenzie LLP and Felipe Alarcón from Superintence of Finance. Key associates Julián Parra and Juan Pablo Canaval are also noted. Manuel Fernando Quinche departed the firm to join Cuatrecasas, with effect from mid-November 2020.
Carlos Umaña; Carlos Fradique-Méndez; César Felipe Rodríguez; Claudia Navarro; Carlos Urrutia; Felipe Alarcon; María Fernanda Diago
‘I’d highlight their extensive knowledge and expertise in transactions; and the lawyers’ kindness, closeness and constant collaboration – particularly Carlos Fradique, Nicolas Alonso and Luis Gabriel Morcillo.‘
Metro Línea 1
Perimetral Oriental de Bogotá
Concesionaria Ferrea de Occidente (a company controlled by China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation)
Concesión Transversal del Sisga
Fondo de Deuda Senior para Infraestructura en Colombia CAF-AM Ashmore I
Nomura Securities International
Interamerican Development Bank
Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional
Autovía Neiva Girardot
Itaú Corpbanca Colombia
Vía 40 Express
US International Development Finance Corporation
Banco de Bogotá
Banco de Occidente
Electribus Bogotá Fontibón II
Banco de Comercio Exterior de Colombia
- Represented a plural structure integrated by China Harbour Engineering Company and Xi’an Metro Company in its participation in the prequalification and in the public tender process conducted by Metro Company of Bogota.
- Brigard Urrutia acts as legal counsel to the Concesionaria Férrea de Occidente that has been awarded a concession agreement for the first local train in the country (the so-called ‘Regiotram De Occidente’) that will connect Bogota DC with several municipalities located on the western side of the city.
- Acted as legal counsel to the Israeli-Colombian plural structure Shikun & Binui-Grodco which has been awarded a concession contract by the Colombian Infrastructure Agency to build a 153 km (approx. 95 miles) highway on the eastern outskirts of Bogota.
The team at Durán & Osorio Abogados Asociados has 'high knowledge, experience and exposure to complex transactions and regulatory developments', with the practice representing clients in public-private partnerships, privatisations and infrastructure projects. Álvaro Durán and Carlos Andrés Sánchez jointly led in advising ISA on its strategy to enter in the Colombian road concessions market. Jorge Gabriel Taboada is noted for his expertise in infrastructure, government agencies and public transportation projects; Gustavo Osorio was part of the legal team that structured a PPP scheme for the water and sewage system of the city of Santa Marta; and Álvaro Gasca has advised public and private clients in the structuring and implementation of road and specialised urban transportation infrastructure projects. Gigliana Rivero Ramirez, Edgardo Maya and Felipe Herrera are also names to note.
Álvaro Mauricio Durán Leal; Jorge Gabriel Taboada; Gustavo Adolfo Osorio García; Carlos Andrés Sánchez García; Álvaro José Gasca Moreno
‘This firm compares favourably with other teams due to its extensive experience in this type of consulting and its excellent work.’
‘They have a great knowledge which allows them to provide complete and accurate advice. They help in an agile way in solving any problem that may arise and are available quickly to attend to the requests that are required around the project.’
‘For the evaluation of projects, I believe that Durán & Osorio is the best firm in the market.’
‘Team with high work capacity, high dedication to the client, experience and knowledge in the matters that are the object of the advice.’
‘Team with high knowledge, experience and exposure to complex transactions and regulatory developments, which makes them up-to-date in the different matters whose services are required. Álvaro Durán and Felipe Herrera stand out.’
‘Technically expert lawyers with great human qualities. Always ready to support the customer.’
‘Outstanding lawyers and with whom I had the opportunity to work: Gigliana Rivero and Carlos Sanchez: respectful treatment and with great technical capacity to address the issues covered in the contract.’
‘We actively have a relationship with two partners Jorge Gabriel Taboada and Álvaro José Gasca, who complement each other to achieve an excellent service. Jorge Gabriel Taboada provides us with knowledge and experience in contractual and corporate matters mainly. Álvaro José Gasca provides us with advice on contractual processes and preparation of bidding processes. As I mentioned, the joint work of both allows us to cover all areas of the processes and transactions with the partners.’
‘In my case, I worked with Álvaro Durán, Felipe Herrera and Álvaro José Gasca in the legal structuring of the Bogotá Metro. His commitment to the project and to the quality of the work was incredible. For me it was a learning experience. Additionally, his human quality made the team grow in every way.’
‘Their experience in Colombia makes them know the institutions and officials, facilitating interaction and providing sui generis solutions.’
Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional
Promotora Ferrocarril de Antioquia
Financiera de Desarrollo Territorial (FINDETER) & Prosperity Fund
Empresa Férrea Regional
Agencia Nacional de Infraestructura
Empresa de Acueducto y Alcantarillado de Bogotá
Mercantil Colpatria – Unidad de Infraestructura
- Advised Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional (FDN) and Empresa Metro de Bogotá (EMB) on the construction, operation and maintenance of Bogotá’s First Metro Line Project, regarding the tender process for the selection of the PPP contract supervision and the contractual requirements for the beginning of the PPP contract design phase.
- Counsels Bid Invest on the legal structuring of the Magdalena River Waterway Project.
- Advising ISA on its strategy to enter in the Colombian road concessions market.
Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) is ‘an excellent multi-disciplinary firm, top-notch and extremely ethical’, with the projects practice comprised of experts from the infrastructure; banking, finance and capital markets; administrative and constitutional law; energy and natural resources; M&A; disputes resolution; and tax departments. The group advises a stellar list of national and international clients (including infrastructure, public entities, energy, utility and technology companies), such as Macquarie Capital, Empresa Metro de Bogotá, and Consur Río 7H, among others. Practice heads José Luis Suárez (head of infrastructure), and Paola Larrahondo (director) lead the team, with support from key partners Ricardo Fandiño and Felipe Mariño, who are recognised for their participation in infrastructure and real estate matters. Senior associate Juan Antonio Ucrós is a key name to note for his involvement in transactions relating to PPPs and public utilities. Andrés Hoyos departed the firm in December 2020. Since publication, Larrahondo has been raised to the partnership with effect from January 2022.
José Luis Suárez; Paola Larrahondo
‘An excellent multi-disciplinary firm, top-notch and extremely ethical. They have a deep bench which they bring in to tackle a project from a legal perspective, tax, corporate, foreign exchange, importation, energy, etc.’
‘GP has a very distinct culture in terms of social responsibility and they are progressive on gender issues.‘
‘They are knowledgeable about the subject (road concessions, in particular), they clearly explain the concepts and take ownership of the case. Names: Paola Larrahondo and Alejandra Mora. The team compares favourably with those of other firms due to the personalised treatment and orderly management.‘
Jajomar (IP Montería)
Group of Lenders / Concesionaria Vial Del Pacífico (CoviPacífico)
Concesión Santa Marta Paraguachón
Fondo De Capital Privado Ashmore Andino Ii
Caisse De Dépôt Et Placement Du Québec (CDPQ) / Infraestructura Asset Management Colombia (Inframco)
Graña & Montero
Sistema Integrado De Provisión De Flota Si 2018
Orinoco Energy I / Sunco Capital
Invenergy Solar Development North America
International Finance Corporation (IFC) / Banco Davivienda
Empresa Metro de Bogotá
- Advising Macquarie Capital on the assessment, acquisition, and financing of BTS (Briceño, Tunja, Sogamoso), a third-generation roadway project.
- The counsel for the permanent advice to Sacyr on tax matters to implement the most efficient structure for the company and its affiliates in relation to its toll roads’ concessions portfolio, including the 4G projects.
- Advising Fondo de Capital Privado Ashmore Andino II on the sale of “Santa Marta – Paraguachón” a first-generation roadway project, awarded in 1994.
Recommended firm Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría is comprised of highly specialised lawyers in public law, infrastructure and project finance. The team advises local and international clients, including construction companies, sponsors, local and international lenders, multilateral credit agencies, private equity funds, export/import financing agencies, governmental entities, and institutional investors, among others. The practice is jointly led by four co-heads: project and corporate financing expert Juan Fernando Gaviria; Jorge Di Terlizzi, who focuses on infrastructure matters and advised China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation-CCECC during the Regiotram's Railway Concession Agreement awarding process; Hernando Padilla and recently appointed partner Carlos Padilla. Camilo Forero is also a name to note for his involvement in infrastructure and projects.
Jorge Di Terlizzi; Juan Fernando Gaviria; Hernando Padilla; Carlos Padilla
Credit Agricole – Ca CiB
Sociedad Aeroportuaria del Caribe (Cartagena Airport Concessionaire)
Grupo Aeroportuario de la Costa (Barranquilla Airport Concessionaire)
Aeropuertos de Oriente (North East Airports Concessionaire)
Royal Boskalis Westminster Group
Inter-American Investment Corporation – IDB Invest
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG )
Ruta del Cacao (4G Concessionaire)
China Harbor Engineering Corporation
Mexican Infrastructure Partners (MIP)
China Construction America (CCA)
Corporación Andina de Fomento
Ashmore – CAF
- Advised China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation during the Regiotram’s Railway concession agreement awarding process.
- Advised JP Morgan Chase Bank and Deutsche Bank, acting as joint lead arrangers of a syndicate of 10 financial institutions, on the structuring and execution of: (i) a $450m loan agreement under New York law; (ii) a COP$245bn loan agreement, also under New York law; and (iii) a security package of collateral agreements under Colombian law.
- Advised Banco Santander and BTG Pactual in connection with the USD 185 million mini-perm financing for the 4G toll road concession project “Autopista Puerta de Hierro – Palmar de Varela y Carreto – Cruz del Viso”.
The team at Castro Leiva Rendón Abogados ‘stand out for their professionalism and knowledge of the sector‘, with the practice specialising in all aspects of infrastructure and public law, focusing on road and airport concessions; public transportation; litigation and arbitration. The firm advises throughout all stages of project work, as well as on the execution of concession agreements and public works, and in the structuring of public-private partnerships. The team is currently serving as legal adviser to over 30% of the road concessionaires in Colombia. Marcela Castro and José Ignacio Leiva head the eight-strong practice, and are currently advising ODINSA in the acquisition of a majority stake of the Concession Tunel De Oriente.
Marcela Castro Pineda; Jose Ignacio Leiva González
‘I’d highlight the direct support from partners; I also appreciate the electronic billing.‘
‘Direct attention from the partner who, in turn, manages other projects of the same nature with other companies, which gives him a great knowledge of the sector.‘
‘They stand out for their professionalism and knowledge of the sector.‘
‘Direct attention from the partner (Marcela Castro) and relationship with the rest of the team.‘
‘The partners of the firm are at the forefront of the issues, providing the service in a reliable way, unlike other firms that, due to their size, rely on junior lawyers for many tasks.‘
‘Marcela Castro provides an excellent service, is in charge of all the details of the work, has knowledge and control over all tasks, knows other projects in the sector which provides added value in terms of experience and relationship with those involved in the drafting.‘
‘The team has knowledge of many other projects in the same sector that makes them a very specialised firm.‘
Concesión Briceño – Tunja – Sogamoso
Concesión Girardot – Cajamarca
Concesión Chía Mosquera Girardot
Concesión Pacifico 2
Concesión Unión Vial Río Pamplonita
Concesión Pacífico Tres
Concesión Alto Magdalena
Concesión Costera Cartagena Barranquilla
Shikun – Binui
Mota – Engil
Consorcio Constructor POB (JV–POB)
Fondo de Capital Privado Inverlink Estructuras Inmobiliarias
Concesionaria del Desarrollo Vial de la Sabana
Concesionaria Alternativas Viales
Concesión Santa Marta Paraguachón
Concesión San Rafael
Concesión Cambao Manizales
Concesión Perimetral de Occidente de Bogotá
Concesión Autopistas de Urabá
Concesión Aliadas por el Progreso
Concesión Mar 2
Concesión Conexión Norte
Concesión Autopistas del Nordeste
- Legal advisors to WSP on the negotiation of the contract for the design, implementation and execution of the Bogota’s Subway mega project.
- Legal advisors to OCENSA–Central Pipeline on the planning and execution of the infrastructure contract for the implementation of a new device to pump crude-oil for tanking ships.
- Legal advisors of more than 30% of the road concessions in the entire country.
The ‘highly responsive‘ team at Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas is noted for advising foreign and local agents, including major multinational corporations, commercial banks, private equity funds, developers, construction companies, government entities, and multilateral organisations on matters involving infrastructure projects and PPP projects. Bernardo Cárdenas heads the team and has more than 25 years’ experience in project finance, which includes advice to multilateral corporations and multinational banks on syndicated loans to the industry. Pablo Jaramillo leads the transactional side and has experience in project structuring, finance and development in various transport sectors and power generation facilities in Colombia and Latin America. Catalina Pinilla is another name to note for her experience advising multilateral entities.
‘Highly responsive M&A transaction team dedicated to the project. We are extremely satisfied with the team’s expertise and services. Partner Pablo Jaramillo is very responsive, practical and highly committed.‘
‘Team’s availability is great. They are always a phone call away to answer any questions you may have.‘
‘Pablo Jaramillo and Jorge Neher are two very responsible partners and Lucia Escobar is a great associate who is always available as link between partners and client.‘
Puertos, Inversiones y Obras
Puerto Bahía Colombia de Urabá
Amcor Rigid Packaging USA
- Acting as an advisor to Puertos Inversiones y Obras, the developer of a multipurpose port terminal located in Bahía Colombia, dedicated to containers, general cargo and bulk (capacity: 650,000 TEU); including advice on the applicable regulatory framework for port concessions and contractual matters related to infrastructure construction and development.
- Advising Amcor on the negotiation of a supply contract for the energy generated by the solar power system with gratuitous bailment of the interconnection equipment between Amcor and Celsia Colombia ESP, as part of the development of a solar power plant intended to supply power to one of Amcor’s manufacturing plants in Colombia.
- Advising the client on the process before the Mining and Energy Planning Unit to obtain tax benefits, such as 50% income deduction, VAT exclusion, tariff exemption, and accelerated depreciation, granted by this entity to non-conventional renewable energy projects.
Garrigues ‘ ‘hardworking and committed‘ team is comprised of experienced lawyers with expertise in project finance, corporate, M&A, public law, public procurement and regulatory law. Adriana Espinosa, who has nearly 20 years experience in public law and infrastructure matters, co-leads the team with counsel Francisco Noguera , who specialises in project finance and has participated in transactions ranging from toll roads to oil and gas, energy and public infrastructure. Principal associate Iván Fierro is noted for his extensive experience in the structuring of public-private partnership projects. Recent work mandates saw the team advise Concesionaria Alternativas Viales, Grupo Icein and Mota Engil on the financing for the Cambao-Manizales 4G toll road project. Since publication, Noguera has been raised to the partnership - effective January 2022.
Adriana Espinosa; Francisco Noguera
‘Their international scope makes gives them a comparative advantage with other firms, as they have a great knowledge of the local market but can easily rely on offices in other countries for any queries. The experience and participation of the partners in the transaction gives them great strength . I would like to highlight Adriana Espinosa (partner) and Iván Mauricio Fierro (associate).’
‘It is a firm with a trained team with good experience and always ready to help us when we need them most. They work hard and are attentive to detail. They are straightforward and seek to accommodate the particular needs that we have.’
‘It is a team that leverages its specialised teams well, both in the country and abroad, which helps to give a 360 vision of the project.’
‘It is a hardworking and committed team that builds trust. Adriana Espinosa is always ready to serve and collaborate with her clients. Iván Fierro is a lawyer characterised by his commitment and management. Juan Ospina is characterised by his management and his dedication to work.’
‘It is a top-of-the-line team that achieves a clear articulation by transmitting to the client a very interesting integrality, coherence and understanding. It favours the adequately coordinated, personal attention of each specialist, in conjunction with permanent customer support and a creative and efficient search for alternatives. They integrate physical facilities and technological facilities with personalised and timely attention.’
Empresa Metro de Bogotá
Promotora Hospital de Bosa
Unidad Administrativa Especial Aeronáutica Civil (AEROCIVIL)
Instituto de Desarrollo Urbano (IDU)
Scania Colombia / Scania Latin America
Corporación Financiera Colombiana (Corficolombiana)
Global Infrastructure Partners
Concesionaria Alternativas Viales
Concesionaria Vial del Pacífico
Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional
Banco de Bogotá
Banco de Occidente
Unión para la Infraestructura
CAF Ashmore Fund
Cubico Sustainable Investments
- Advised Empresa Metro de Bogotá on the legal structuring of the first line of Bogotá’s metro system, described as the most important infrastructure project for the city and in Colombia, given that the jobs generated will be crucial for the country’s economic and social recovery.
- Advising Promotora Hospital de Bosa and Grupo Ortiz and Incot on the Hospital de Bosa project, the first health infrastructure project to be developed in Colombia under a PPP scheme.
- Advising OHL as a potential bidder in the tender for the first in the 5th generation toll road program launched by the Colombian government in April 2020.
The team at Posse Herrera Ruiz have a ‘great technical knowledge of projects‘ and work closely with the banking and finance, corporate/M&A, and dispute resolution teams in the financing/refinancing and litigation arising from major projects. Recent work mandates include advising the global engineering firm Greely and Hansen in relation to ensuring that the designs for the Canoas Wastewater Treatment plant will be executed in a timely manner. José Alejandro Torres heads the team and has multidisciplinary experience advising clients on public law matters and real estate issues; Mariana Posse is noted for her significant experience in project financing work; and Alvaro José Rodríguez focuses on structuring and implementing projects in the private sector. An October-2020 hire with over 20 years’ experience in the projects sector, Cristina Vásquez is associate director of the firm’s infrastructure and public law practices. Since publication, Vásquez has been raised to the partnership – effectiveJanuary 2022.
José Alejandro Torres
‘Total coordination between the lawyers of the firm in practice and with those of the other practice areas of the firm to provide comprehensive advice.‘
‘It compares favourably with other firms.‘
‘They are technically competent but practical lawyers, they seek to make projects viable but without putting them at risk, clearly their purpose is to help and not to bill; I highlight Isabel Cristina Vásquez and Gabriel Sánchez.‘
‘The greatest novelty in a firm of this size is the availability of its lawyers, it is a large firm that works closely with the client and constantly monitors them.‘
‘Great technical knowledge of projects that facilitates legal management. Total availability of advisers in all hierarchies. Total commitment to customers.‘
Greely and Hansen
InfraRed Capital Partners
Autovia Neiva Girardot
Terminal de Transporte
Promotora Miel II
- Acted as legal counsel to Unión Vial Río Pamplonita and its sponsors Sacyr Concesiones Colombia and Sacyr Concesiones Participadas I, on the execution and first disbursement of two loans (denominated in US-dollars and Colombian-pesos) from Chinese, French, German, Spanish, UAE, US and Colombian lenders, in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, for the financing of the “Pamplona–Cúcuta” project.
- Advised the port project, Puerto Antioquia, in obtaining a mezzanine credit for the development of the port.
- Advised Brazilian multinational WEG Industries on the negotiation, drafting and definition of the scope of an EPC contract with local electricity provider Electricaribe to construct, test and put electricity substations into operation in northern Colombia.
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.‘s practice has expertise in complex and high value project development in the infrastructure, power, mining and oil and gas sectors, covering both greenfield and brownfield project development. The team has solid experience in PPP projects related to the development and operation of infrastructure such as highways and airports. With over 12 years’ experience advising on oil and gas, power generation and transmission matters, Alejandro Mesa co-leads the team alongside Carolina Duque, who specialises in financial transactions with an emphasis on project financing. Ricardo Trejos Robledo provides additional support to the team alongside senior associate María Montejo.
Alejandro Mesa; Carolina Duque
‘Carolina is a star in her area. In addition to her being impeccable in her work, she is a kind and calm person in stressful situations. Carolina’s arrival was the good news and what a great asset they brought in. In addition, it gives the impression that, unlike other firms, they take on the issues of diversity, sustainability, etc. seriously.‘
Bonus Banca de Inversión
Aena Desarrollo Internacional
Sistemas Operativos Móviles
Graña y Montero
China United Engineering
Oak Creek Energy
Coremar Compañía de Servicios Portuarios
Autopista Río Magdalena
- Advised Autopista Río Magdalena and Aleatica, in connection with the negotiation and closing of a secured bridge loan for the financing of “Concesión Autopista al Río Magdalena 2” granted by Banco Santander; despite the usual complexity of a project finance, the transaction closed in four weeks.
- Currently advising Bonus on the structuring of two public initiative PPPs (Public-Private-Partnership) projects for the construction, refurbishment, operation and maintenance of roads in the Colombian department of Valle del Cauca and its surrounding area (approximately 750kms).
- Advising Oak Creek Energy Services in connection with the future development of wind power generation projects in Colombia.
Infraestructura Legal SAS
Boutique firm Infraestructura Legal SAS specialises in the legal structuration for infrastructure projects, mainly projects under a PPP arrangement. The firm provides advice to clients within the public and private sectors, regarding projects of national and local transcendence. Francisco Suárez has over 26 years experience in the sector and has a deep knowledge of infrastructure project management, public works, infrastructure, concessions and PPP matters. Francisco Real focuses on investment banking and private advisory in administrative law, public contracting and structuring projects involving infrastructure with private funding for public and private entities. Both Suárez and Real co-head the five-strong boutique. Recent highlights include providing legal advice to the Instituto de Desarrollo Urbano – IDU, as a public agency, in the infrastructure projects of the city.
Francisco Suárez; Francisco Real
‘Cleint service with attention and respect to deadlines. I use it for promotions and the firm has always served me well.‘
‘Luis Werneck is the figure of note!‘
Bonus Banca de Inversion
MGM Innova Capital
Instituto de Desarrollo Urbano (IDU)
Instituto Distrital de Recreación y Deporte (IDRD)
Ernst & Young
- Infraestructura Legal has structured the legal component of the feasibility studies of a strategic plan for the intelligent and inclusive historical center (Santa Smart-a) and that of an integral control and operations center (CICO) for the District of Santa Marta and the territorial development finance company (FINDETER), considering the technical, financial, gender equity and social inclusion components of the project.
- Infraestructura Legal has been carrying out the legal structuring of the PPP project for the recovery of degraded ecosystems of the Dam Watercourse -Canal del Dique- within the Magdalena River, for the National Infrastructure Agency (ANI), CORMAGDALENA and the Adaptation Fund.
- Infraestructura Legal has provided legal advisory to the Instituto de Desarrollo Urbano – IDU about important long-term contracts for the city of Bogotá, such as BRT (Bus Rapid Transit – Transmilenio) system for the improvement of the cities mobility and highways, pedestrian connections, public space works, road conservation works, amongst others.
Zuleta Abogados Asociados S.A.S six-strong practice has ‘extensive knowledge about the structuring and negotiation of projects’, and is renowned for its expertise in dispute resolution and international law, as well as providing advice in structuring PPP projects. The team has strong experience in project finance, public procurement law, contract law, oil and gas regulations, and environmental and infrastructure law regulations. Practice co-head Miguel Castro has ‘great knowledge in business structuring’ and specialises in public procurement and administrative law matters, particularly PPPs. Recent mandates saw Castro lead the ongoing advice for Copasa in multiple aspects such as public biddings, prequalification processes for PPP projects, performing complex PPP contracts, and negotiating NDAs and SPAs, among others. Rafael Rincón also co-heads the team, and has 15 years experience in transnational disputes involving state entities in the infrastructure, energy, and oil and gas industries.
Miguel Castro; Rafael Rincón
‘Active participation in all kinds of meetings. They remain attentive and only issue positions after having consulted with the technical area to be able to give concepts and positions based on technical and legal support.‘
‘Their attention is quick and efficient, which makes them stand out in a market as competitive as the legal one in large projects. Miguel Castro especially, is a lawyer who always seeks, from well-argued and solid positions, a consensus between the parties. Thanks to the excellent work they carry out, we count on the firm practically exclusively.‘
‘Zuleta Abogados has extensive knowledge about the structuring and negotiation of projects, as well as the resolution of disputes in this sector. Likewise, they care about knowing the business and proposing useful, viable and simple solutions. They have a great team of associates, who make teamwork possible.‘
‘I would highlight Rafael Rincón, a partner of the firm. Always present, unconditional support in transactions and with a vast knowledge of law and business, which allows us to obtain comprehensive solutions.‘
‘Extensive knowledge in structuring projects.‘
‘It is a team that is characterised by seeing options and alternatives for solving problems posed.‘
‘Miguel Castro has great knowledge in business structuring, especially knowledge of the National Infrastructure Agency, allowing him to manoeuvre strategically in the challenges presented.‘
‘The knowledge of the infrastructure sector in Colombia at Zuleta lawyers is enviable, they have a strong relationship with state entities, therefore they present strategies that fit perfectly.‘
‘Here I must speak directly of Dr Miguel Castro: first of all, he is a sensitive person, with passion for his work and totally trustworthy. With the work of the team that he leads, we feel calm, because he always gives us a clear risk analysis so as to make each decision.‘
‘The novelty lies in the fact that the lawyers on the Zuleta team have the sensitivity of people who put themselves in the client’s shoes and from that point of view propose alternative solutions.‘
Currie & Brown
Torrescámara y Cia de Obras
Aleatica (through project company Autopista Río Magdalena)
Obras y Servicios (COPASA)
Conconcreto / Pactia / Grupo Heroica
CAS Mobiliaria / Conconcreto
- Advising Torrescámara y Cia de Obras on the legal structuring process of a public private partnership.
- Advising Valtalia Investments on the negotiation and drafting a sale purchase agreement.
- Advising Pavimentos Colombia and Mario Huertas on the legal structuring process of public private partnership.
The team at Ariza & Marin stand out for their ‘attention, availability, management and preparation for all the projects involved’, providing legal advice to clients in the infrastructure sector (roads, energy, aqueduct and sewage), sanitation, and construction of housing and commercial real estate. Camilo Marín, (who has 12 years of experience in the field of infrastructure projects, conflict resolution, and crisis management), and Carolina Ariza, (who provides legal advice on the execution of various infrastructure contracts such as road concessions and public works, as well as consulting, design and auditing contracts), co-head the five-strong team.
Camilo Marín, Carolina Ariza
‘We highly praise Ariza & Marin’s team for its excellent assertive communication with our internal group, in addition to its high quality of knowledge, generating confidence in our team to make the best decisions. Given our experience with other firms, we were able to differentiate great competitive advantages over the others by Ariza &Marin.’
‘We consider the skills that Ariza & Marin present before other firms and their efficiency in front of the diverse situations to be solved as extremely important.’
‘Carolina Ariza and Camilo Marin are lawyers with an excellent disposition to always meet our requirements in a short time, always presenting well-founded responsible solutions for the good of our company.’
‘The team is aware of all the circumstances that our work entails, from legal, economic, financial and productive points of view. I think they do their job very well, bettering many similar firms.’
‘The direct treatment is a very positive aspect, as is their continuous attention to the cases.’
‘I’d especially note the personalised attention. Other offices are less close.’
‘In order to carry out a project, the lawyers of Ariza & Marin first internalise the different points of view of the entire work team and all the opinions of all the collaborators, as well as those of external people to be able to give an opinion on it. They know perfectly what the position of the company is within the sector in which we participate and the technical, economic and social situation where we are. All of the above makes the team much superior to those of other firms.’
‘We have been supported and all the necessary meetings have been held through video conferences, where it has allowed us, due to current health requirements, to be present in different places and with different people. All billing and communication has been through digital media, which has greatly simplified these relationships. I believe that the Ariza & Marin office is up with all the cutting-edge technological advances.’
‘The lawyers of Ariza & Marin are well-prepared and capable lawyers, ready to face the different commitments required. What makes them different is their attention, availability, management and preparation for all the projects involved: Camilo Andrés Marin, Juanita Arbeláez and Miguel Lozano.’
‘Commitment and diligence with the client; they compare them very favourably with other firms. I highlight Camilo Marin, Nicolas López, Maria Antonia Valencia, Miguel Lozano and Juanita Arbelaez.’
Obras Subterráneas – sucursal Colombia (Ossa)
Consortium ANSA (Andina de Construcciones y Asociados, and Sanear)
Consortium Redes Continente (Ingenieros y Constructores Asociados de Colombia, Tecnoevoluciones Aplicadas Sucursal Colombia and Marco Infraestructura y Medio Ambiente)
Consortium Acueducto Redes San Nicolás (Andina de Construcciones and Redyco)
Ingeniería y Contratos
Hyundai Engineering And Construction, Hyundai Engineering, and Acciona Agua
Unión Temporal Mejía Acevedo-S&E (Mejía Acevedo and Comercializadora S&E)
- Represented Vías de las Américas in the liquidation of the concession for the intervention of Sector 1 of the Corredor de las Américas, whose original value amounted to COP$1.158bn.
The team at CMS Rodríguez-Azuero are experts in structured project and corporate finance, infrastructure and public law, and public procurement anticorruption regulations. The practice has been involved in providing advice to clients in relation to concession and PPP contracts, public work contracts, and framework agreements, among others. Daniel Rodríguez heads the team and has significant expertise regarding the social, environmental and land acquisition complexities related to project finance deals and infrastructure projects. Senior associate María Lucía Amador is a key team member and also participates in the banking and finance and compliance practice areas.
Coral Delgado & Asociados
The team at Coral Delgado & Asociados provides a legal service to public entities and private companies, specialising in the development of infrastructure projects. Founding partners Javier Delgado and Alfredo Coral co-head the team, which is supported by Diana María Bonilla, who has extensive experience in the field of public and private contracting, as well as in the structuring and evaluation of infrastructure projects; corporate and private law director Lady Estupiñán; and Stella Judith Gutiérrez, director of litigation and arbitration.
Alfredo Coral Triviño; Javier Delgado Campuzano
‘CD&A is characterised by its commitment to tasks. In multidisciplinary teams, the legal component is transversal to the other elements of complex projects. In addition to their professionalism, the willingness of the members of CD&A to seek the right solution and work as a team is remarkable and facilitates the development of projects. Our experience with CD&A is to discuss openly and sincerely at the beginning of the projects and once agreements are reached, these are respected and the projects are developed on that basis without any novelties and with a lot of knowledge, professionalism and commitment on the part of the firm. While the partners of CD&A rely on what is a competent team, they are not limited to the commitments made and are very attentive to the quality control of their products as well as to ensure quick and accurate responses to clients.‘
‘Timely and personalised attention from members. Sufficiently argued concepts. Timely attention and permanent access to members. Permanent presence of partner Javier Delgado.’
Departamento Administrativo del Espacio Público – Bogotá DC
Consorcio Férreo PAA
Consorcio el Sol
Consorcio Etsa Siga
Vía al Puerto
Financiera de Desarrollo Territorial (Findeter)
Secretaría de Infraestructura Municipal – San José de Cúcuta
Unión Temporal Econometría Multimodal
Departamento Nacional de Planeación
Instituto de Desarrollo Urbano (IDU)
- Supervision of the technical, legal, financial and gender equity and social inclusion structuring of a Cargo and Passenger Train between Bogotá and Zipaquirá.
The ten-strong team at DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán have been advising clients on every angle of complex railway, road, telecommunications, transport, airport, energy and power, infrastructure, process plant, water and other infrastructure projects across numerous countries. ‘Their commitment to the client and, permanent availability and the speed with which they respond to inquiries are all outstanding‘, with Felipe Quintero, Camilo Martínez and Juan Manuel de la Rosa all names to note. Sebastián Lora co-heads the projects practice and is highly experienced in the project finance and banking and finance field; alongside Paola Aldana, who has expertise advising private and public entities in all stages of infrastructure projects.
Paola Aldana; Sebastián Lora
‘It has a team of specialists in all specialties, all are very good and that makes a difference. In addition to the above, their commitment to the client and, permanent availability and the speed with which they respond to inquiries are all outstanding.‘
‘Specialised procedures and processes have multiple aspects. Although there is a leading lawyer with a certain specialty, he always has the support of others in different collateral specialties relevant to the case at hand.‘
‘It has an exceptional human team. What differentiates them is their considerable empathetic ability to interpret the needs of their clients. In the aforementioned, it compares favourably with other teams.‘
‘Paola Aldana’s human qualities, in the sense of interpreting the needs of her clients and putting herself in their shoes, make her a very prominent lawyer in this practice.‘
‘The appointment of Paola Aldana as a partner is the great news of the year.‘
Caribesol De La Costa
Departamento Nacional de Planeación
Steward Healthcare International
Sociedad Concesionaria Vial Andina / Corficolombiana
Autopista Mar 2
Inter-American Development Bank
Peninsula Investments Group
- Advised the Departamento Nacional de Planeación on the legal structuring of a PPP project consisting of a wastewater treatment system for the city of Neiva which will benefit over 350.000 inhabitants of the city and reduce pollution levels in the Rio Magdalena, Colombia’s main river.
- Legal advisors to Caribesol de la Costa ESP in the COP$275m guaranty structure required under the acquisition of a portion of the operation of Electricaribe ESP, one of the most representative and complex M&A operations of the country in recent years.
- Advised Banco de Bogotá and Banco de Occidente, as lenders, on the negotiation, execution and closing of a Colombian law-governed credit agreement for an amount of COP$595m to finance the design, construction, operation and maintenance of the “Vías del Nus” toll road project (part of the 4G Colombian toll road concession program).
The team at Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos primarily handles the structuring of infrastructure and technology projects, advising on the structuring of concession agreements related to software and computer services and technology, and hardware and electronics, along with assessing clients regarding public bids. Felipe Piquero (who is active in arbitration, particularly as regards airport concession cases, as well as public procurement and PPP projects), co-heads the team alongside Juan Carlos Esguerra and Andrés Jaramillo Hoyos. With his focus on project finance, Juan Pablo González is an additional name to note, as is associate practice director Adriana Nieto who is also an integral member of the team. Recent highlights include advising PAYC with regards to legal inquiries, administrative sanction procedures and auditing contracts for construction agreements. Since publication, Nieto has been raised to the partnership - effective as of January 2022.
Juan Carlos Esguerra; Felipe Piquero; Andrés Jaramillo
Ministerio de Transporte
Armada Nacional de Colombia – Base Naval Bogotá
Gilat Satellite Networks (Israel) and Gilat Colombia ESP
- Legal advisors to Ministerio de Transporte in the legal structuring of (i) the new concession that will operate the RUNT project (Single National Registry of Transit) and (ii) the auditing agreement (in Spanish, contrato de interventoría) by which an independent party will comprehensively (technically, financially and legally), supervise of the concession agreement.
- Legal advisors to Armada Nacional de Colombia – Base Naval Bogotá on the structuring of the project by which the feasibility studies required for the operation a newly incorporated public naval transportation company (Empresa de Transporte Naviero de Colombia) where to be contracted.
- Legal advisor to Gilat Group in the public bids opened by Fondo de las Tecnologias de la Informacion y las Comunicaciones and Ministerio de Tecnologías de la Información y las Comunicaciones, initially under the name of Accesos Rurales and subsequently as Digital Centers; the primary purpose of said projects being to provide internet access to schools across the country and in remote areas.
Gamboa Abogados has recognised expertise and a considerable track record in dispute resolution, with project clients also featuring on its litigation roster. The firm has proved able to develop a reputation in the market as specialists in the handling of projects related to port terminals. Ernesto Gamboa heads the team; he is supported by Eduardo Gamboa, who has participated in national and international proceedings and arbitrations related to ports and infrastructure; and Paula Isaza, who focuses on commercial law, as well as in competition and labour law matters.
Steadily developing tis presence, Goh house lawyers with considerable experience advising on infrastructure projects as well as the legal aspects of public and private contracting, public and private partnerships, project-financing agreements, and engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) agreements, along with associated environmental issues. Jaime Moya heads the team and provides comprehensive legal advice on corporate and commercial matters. Moya is currently leading the advice to Concesionaria Desarrollo Vial al Mar (Devimar) in their consultancy for the execution of the financing, aas well as advising on all matters related to the project’s execution and the concession contract. Associates Steffany Serebrenik and Natalia Fernández are also noted.
‘The accompaniment of this firm provides a lot of confidence to its clients due to their professionalism, the knowledge they demonstrate regarding the practice, and their availability and openness to debate any subject.’
‘We have received very personalised advice, with unlimited time availability. Advisors who perfectly understand the nature, dynamics and peculiarities of their client. A special interest is evident in protecting the interests of the client but also facilitating and promoting negotiation with the counterpart. We highlight the names of Jaime Moya, Natalia Suárez and Luis Felipe Noreña.’
‘There is an excellent dynamic between the firm’s senior lawyers and the partners of the firm. Matters are assigned in a very effective way so that they are assumed by those who, according to their experience and capabilities, should know or solve the task.’
‘The great strengths of the team come from the professional and human quality of its members. The preparation and dedication are exceptional.’
‘Their availability to customers, and the fact that they “put on the shirt” for the causes entrusted. They are always innovative and up-to-date with everything.’
Sacyr Concesiones Colombia
Concesionaria Desarrollo Vial al Mar (Devimar)
Empresas Públicas de Medellín (EPM)
Hyundai Engeneering and Construction
Stoa Infrastructure & Energy
Concesionaria Alternativas Viales
Mafer Real Estate de Colombia
- Currently accompanying Concesionaria Desarrollo Vial al Mar (Devimar) on the consultancy for the execution of its project financing and providing general advise on all the matters related to the project’s execution and the concession contract.
- Advised EPM on the organisation of a project with a strategic ally called INVENERGY to consolidate its participation in the renewable-energy market.
- Advised Cruzco on the development of a real estate project to build 150,000 country houses for the elderly in Fusagasuga; as well as on the design and structuring of the project with the most suitable accurate vehicle to formalise an association with a possible partner who would be providing the lands for theundertaking of the project.
The team at Holland & Knight is noted for having extensive experience in Colombian and Latin American environmental compliance and regulatory litigation, oil and gas projects, mining projects, project finance, foreign investment projects, mergers and acquisitions, complex corporate reorganisations and financial restructurings. Norberto Quintana and Enrique Gomez-Pinzon are the key practice contacts.
The projects practice at Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados assists clients requiring strategic support with public tenders, bidding procedures and public-private partnership processes. The seven-strong team handles projects across a broad array of sectors, including the chemical and petrochemical industry, gas, transportation and health, among others. Recent matters include advising Arendal on the preparation of a legal memorandum addressing the possibility and legal mechanisms to structure an integral project for the design, construction, financing and operation of a detention center in Colombia. Practice head Diego Muñoz Tamayo –who has extensive experience in privatisation and project finance projects– is a ‘strong lawyer, a trusted advisor and offers deep knowledge of the market'. Felipe Trías has over 35 years' experience and has played a leading role in the practice on a number of privatisation processes and public bids. Senior associates Antonio Rojas Mayol and Fernando Bermúdez are also key members of the team.
Diego Muñoz Tamayo
‘We work with Muñoz Tamayo on a tender for the public sector, within the framework of a turnkey infrastructure supply contract. First we worked with the tax team and later with the experts in environmental law. Both teams gave us great service.’
‘The people we worked with were Diego Muñoz Tamayo and Hugo Adolfo Hurtado Bejarano, from the fiscl area, and Juan Manuel Sabogal from the environmental area. All responded to our requests promptly.‘
‘One aspect that we liked a lot about their collaboration is that without having to ask us, they updated their memoranda to include the modifications that had arisen in telephone conversations. It is a plus that is not usually given often.‘
‘Small firm that gives the client exposure to well experienced, senior, legal professionals.‘
‘Diego Muñoz is a strong lawyer, a trusted advisor and offers deep knowledge of the market.‘
‘Alonso De Reyes is a hard working lawyer who provides very sound advice and whom you can rely on to get the job done.‘
Trina Solar Colombia (San Felipe)
Trina Solar Colombia (Campano)
Trina Solar Colombia (Cartago)
Trina Solar (Spain) Systems
Asociación Nacional de Empresas Generadoras (ANDEG)
Arendal / Ecopetrol
- Assisted Trina Solar Colombia in the auction of long – term renewable energy contracts, where it became the only player with solar solutions to be awarded.
- Assisted Scotiabank Colpatria, one of the leading financial institutions in Colombia, in conducting a detailed analysis of the effects that the presentation of the extrajudicial conciliation request by the General Manager of EPM with the support of the Mayor of Medellín and against the constructors, designers and auditors of the Hidroituango Proyect.
- Assisted Arendal with the preparation of a legal memorandum addressing the possibility and legal mechanisms to structure an integral project for the design, construction, financing and operation of a detention center in Colombia.
Palacio, Jouve & García
The practice at Palacio, Jouve & García advises and consults on public law matters, and also has experience in administrative law and government contracting. The team regularly act for public sector entities, concessionaires and international organisations, as well as medium-sized and large corporates on a wide range of infrastructure issues. María Teresa Palacio has extensive experience in matters of administrative law, state contracting, infrastructure and public services; Antonio Jouve García provides advice in project management and consulting; and Luis Felipe Arrieta Palacio focuses on state contracting, infrastructure and public services. Since publication the team has been further strengthened with the hire of contentious administrative, constitutional and public law specialist, María Lucía Posada, effective as of January 2022.
Luis Felipe Arrieta Palacio
‘The reserve and confidentiality in the handling of the information and, their knowledge of the subjects.‘
‘The humane manner and the knowledge of Dr. Maria Teresa Palacio.‘
‘The most important thing apart from professionalism and knowledge of the issues is the humane treatment received.‘
Palacios Lleras is highly recognised for its management in the elaboration and monitoring of the project finance contracts in the energy and gas market. However, the April and May 2021 departures of Ángel Castañeda and associate Luís Alberto Vicuña to boutique X100 Legal will have impacted on its capbilities. Neverthelss, Felipe Forero has extensive experience in the areas of energy and litigation, and senior parter and practice head Hugo Palacios Mejía and fellow senior partner Óscar Gutiérrez both active in the practice. The team primarily advises companies in the energy market, with recent matters including legal advice to Promigas on the expansion of one of the company’s pipelines.
Hugo Palacios Mejía; Óscar Gutierrez;
- Advice to Promoenergía on the negotiation of the selling and development contracts for three wind farms: in Culantral, Magdalena and Galerazamba; the team advised Promoenergia throughout the negotiation and the legal structuring of the project.
- Legal advice to Promigas on the expansion of one of the company’s pipelines.