Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property: PRC firms
Chang Tsi & Partners
The firm: Since 2002, Chang Tsi & Partners has been guiding multinational companies with its expertise in Chinese law and business. Headquartered in Beijing, with branches in the finance capital Shanghai, the trade capital Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and two liaison partners in the US, it has 260+ employees.View Profile...
Intellectual property: PRC firms in China
AFD China Intellectual Property Law Office is home to a strong non-contentious IP practice, which assists clients with filing of IP rights and the maintenance of portfolios both patents and trade marks. Founding partner Xia Zheng leads the 'highly effecient' group and specialises in patent-related matters, while Jingjing Wu heads up the trade mark practice and Hong Long is another key figure in the patent prosecution team. In addition to its strong registration and filing practice, the firm is also active in cancellation and invalidation claims, particularly for trade marks.
‘The team is responsive and where matters are urgent we know we will receive a reply within the stipulated deadline‘.
‘Xia Zheng is able to communicate well in terms of the issues in disputes and how best to handle the situation.‘
‘The team has good service, fast processing speed, smooth communication, timely feedback, high suggestions for reference, and a good understanding of legal and technical issues‘.
‘Long Hong is able to provide practical advice from the perspective of the applicant, good at solving difficult problems, and has forward-looking arrangements‘.
‘Each team has its own unique characteristics. The team not only focuses on individual abilities, but also emphasises collaboration. It has a clear division of labour and cooperates with each other. Each case and different agent can achieve detailed communication with clients in a timely manner.‘
‘Zheng Xia deserves special mention. She has strong business abilities and rich professional knowledge. She can quickly understand the needs of our company and provide corresponding solutions, communicate smoothly with us, and be sincere and friendly‘.
Archer Daniels Midland
Modine Manufacturing Company
Beijing New Building Material (Group)
BOE Technology Group
- Advised Natural Wellbeing limited to file a timely change of name within WIPO to overcome the refusal of its trade mark registration in China.
- Assisted a pharmaceutical client in its new drug licensing project through an FTO analysis for China.
AllBright Law Offices
AllBright Law Offices covers the spectrum of IP work, including prosecution, mediation and enforcement. The firm has particular experience in litigation related to patent, trade mark, copyright, domain name, trade secrets and unfair competition. Patent attorney Minxuan Liu leads the team and focuses on dispute resolution, as well as providing expertise in non-contentious IP services. Other key names to note in the practice include Henry Ding, who specialises in IP litigation, and Yanyu Wang, particularly notable in patent matters.
Youku Information Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
Burger King (China) Co., Ltd.
Zhejiang Ledison Optoelectronics Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Oriental Maritime Engineering Technology Co., Ltd.
Haimo Technologies Group Corp.
Shanghai 2345 Network Holdings Group Co., Ltd.
Beijing Sensetime Technology Development Co., Ltd.
Sichuan Language Development Co., Ltd.
Alibaba Group Holding Limited
Shenzhen Bit Microelectronics Technology Co., Ltd.
- Acted for Taiyuan Heavy Industry Co., Ltd. in an invention patent infringement case.
- ACted for Zhejiang Ledison Optoelectric Co., Ltd., in a patent infringement case against Zhejiang Branch US Electric Co., Ltd.
- Acted for Shanghai 2345 Network Holdings Group Co., Ltd., among others, in a patent infringement dispute against Beijing Qihoo Technology Co., Ltd. and Beijing Qizhi Business Consulting Co., Ltd.
An, Tian, Zhang & Partners is a dedicated intellectual property firm based in Beijing. The team, led by David Tian, advises overseas clients primarily in significant disputes pertaining to the prosecution, litigation and enforcement of their trade marks, patents and copyrights. In terms of industry sectors, the group is most renowned for its expertise in the agriculture, automobile and industrial lubricants industries. Also notable are Ruifeng Li and Yang Guo who is particularly known for his work on patent litigation and analysis matters.
‘The IP lawyers are very good at providing tailored strategic planning advice for protecting our client’s rights in China. They are also flexible and willing to go the extra mile to assist their clients.’
‘I have worked with ATZP for a long time and find their approach and responsiveness impressive compared to other PRC firms.’
‘David Tian’s leadership and ability to control the team always leads the case to a successful result, especially in anti-counterfeiting cases.’
‘David Tian is an experienced senior partner, and Ruifeng Li is a capable pair of hands and trusted advocate on technical issues.’
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Gilead Sciences, LLC
Martell & Co
Shell Brands International AG
Mazda Motor Corporation
- Acted for Sysmex Corporation when it initiated a court proceeding against Citotest Labware Manufacturing on the grounds of patent infringement.
- Represented Syngenta in trade mark infringement and unfair competition dispute against Syngenta (Shanghai) Fertilizer Co., Ltd.
- Represented DR. SEUSS in infringement of trade mark, copyright and trade name, as well as false advertisement and unfair competition claims against Kunming Susi Enterprise Management Co., Ltd. and Susi Kindergarten in Kunming.
- Represented Daimler in trade mark and design patent infringement claims against Zhejiang Aotong Aluminium Wheel Co., Ltd.
- Represented Nestle in a trade mark invalidation proceeding against Shenzhen Jiawanda Trading Co., Ltd.
AnJie Law Firm recently expanded its offering by hiring Jerry Xia from Honeywell (where he was Chief IP Counsel) and Lan Li from Baker McKenzie FenXun. Led by Jing He, Qinghui Liu, Wu Li and Kefeng Zhao from Beijing, the team has recently secured several high-profile victories in infringement, validity and unfair competition disputes, and has started advising multinational and domestic clients on sensitive trade secret cases. On the advisory side, the firm continues to assist clients such as Beijing Universal Studio theme park with their licensing and exploitation strategies.
He Jing; Liu Qinghui; Wu Li; Zhao Kefeng
Xiao Guan Cha
Foreign Language Teaching and Research Publishing
- Represented AstraZeneca in the patent administrative litigation procedures of its critical compound patent ‘ticagrelor’, and successfully persuaded the court of second instance to reverse the first-instance decision which invalidated the patent.
- Represented Qualcomm at the Jiangsu High People’s Court in three patent infringement cases.
- Acting for ASSA ABLOY (PAN PAN) in a major trade mark infringement and unfair competition civil case at the Jiangsu Provincial High Court.
- Advised Alibaba Entertainment Group on its transactions with copyright owners for the livestreaming of entertainment materials.
CCPIT Patent and Trademark Law Office is a full-service intellectual property firm headquartered in Beijing which provides consultation, prosecution, mediation, administrative enforcement and litigation services relating to patents, trade marks, copyrights, domain names, trade secrets, unfair competition and other related matters. Spearheaded by Hao Ma, the firm represents clients across a vast array of industry sectors. Zhongqi Zhou and Chuanhong Long are also key names to note in the senior ranks. Gang Hu is best known for his work in complex and high-value trade mark disputes, while Ji Liu focuses on patent prosecution.
- Continues to represent the Pilot Corporation as claimant in a series of patent infringement cases.
- Successfully represented Canon in a patent infringement case.
- Successfully defended the validity of one of Novartis’ Chinese patents.
The intellectual property specialists at Chang Tsi & Partners cover all areas of intellectual property disputes, including trade marks, patents, copyrights and domain names. Beijing-based Simon Tsi is highly experienced in handling complex petitions, retrials and crisis management for Chinese and multinational corporations, and co-heads the offering with Spring Chang who is also based in Beijing. In Shenzhen, David Lee focuses on anti-infringement actions. The team also has several partners based in the US; Kenneth Ng handles the development of strategy and tactics for enforcement, case management and budgeting, and Chenyan Wu is an experienced patent practitioner. Michael Fu and Kaiming Bu were recently promoted to the partnership.
Simon Tsi; Spring Chang
‘The team can give practical suggestions based on the client’s business characteristics, and is very familiar with the client’s business and products‘.
‘Close communication with the clients, proactively understands and listens to client’s needs, and proactively track cases. The feedback is efficient, and a large amount of resources can be mobilised to respond to emergencies in a short time‘.
Johnson Controls, Inc.
Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd.
Shenzhen city Tencent computer system Co. Ltd.
Charles Schwab &Co. , Inc.
Johnson & Johnson
Illinois Tool Works Inc.
Michael Kors L.L.C.
Guinness World Records Ltd.
American Eagle Outfitters, Inc
Lego Toy (Shanghai) Co. Ltd.
- Represented Baidu Online Network Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd. in its fight against Sogou Inc. in four invention patent infringement lawsuits before Beijing Intellectual Property Court.
- Conducted research and issued a legal opinion for Spectrum to change operating entity of its Tmall store.
- Acted for ConocoPhillips as claimant against Guangzhou Kangfei in unfair competition and trade mark violation litigation.
- Represented Skechers against Spieth Wensky regarding a trade mark infringement proceeding.
- Represented Levi Strauss & Co. vs Guangzhou City Xin Fan Cai Trading Company & Shenzhen City Bao’an District Shiyan Royal Jienan Garment Factory as claimant in a trade mark infringement litigation (second instance).
China Patent Agent (H.K.) Ltd.
Dapeng Wen and Longzhi Yin jointly lead the intellectual property group at China Patent Agent (H.K.) Ltd. in Beijing. The practice provides comprehensive services to its clients in China and abroad, with particular expertise in application prosecution, litigation, mediation, licensing, assignment and counseling in relation to patents, trademarks, copyrights, domain names, anti-unfair competition,and other IP-related areas. In Hong Kong, experienced patent litigator Yuhe Wu is a key name to note while Shanghai-based Yanfeng Xiong focuses on Standard Essential Patent litigation and invalidation for multinationals in telecommunication field.
Dapeng Wen; Longzhi Yin
‘The firm always puts together the best possible team of litigation lawyers and skilled patent attorneys for its contentious matters. In contrast to other Chinese firms, I feel that I can always trust their teams’.
‘They have a good combination of experienced attorneys with litigation experience and patent attorneys with strong technical background. They are very responsive and abide by a strict budget‘.
‘Grasp the main points of the case accurately and provides the best solution for clients‘.
‘Yanfeng Xiong is one of the best Chinese patent attorneys. He knows all the legal tools in the toolbox and applies his strategic thinking and business acumen to all cases. I am always impressed by his performance! Besides, he is fluent in English too which is a real asset when serving European clients’.
‘Yanfeng Xiong is open-minded and is good at explaining complicated technology in simple terms‘.
‘Yanfeng Xiong is very knowledgeable in certain IPR areas and keen to expand his practice scope. He seems to be a born litigator and masters the art of presenting the case in the court hearings. I strongly recommend him for his professionalism, deep knowledge and insights about IP, dedication and excellent skillset for litigator‘.
Prym Intimates Group
KING & SPALDING LLP
KLARIS LAW PLLC
TOEI ANIMATION KABUSHIKI KAISHA (D/B/A: TOEI ANIMATION CO., LTD.)
CALLAWAY GOLF COMPANY
LA RURAL VINEDOS Y BODEGAS S.A. LTDA
- The team currently represents SAIC General Motors to defend the infringement lawsuit filed by J.S.T. Mfg. Co., a Japanese manufacturer of electrical connectors.
- The group is currently representing Koninklijke KPN N.V. to handle its SEP licensing and litigations in China, including studying the FRAND rules and case laws in China and forming litigation strategies.
- The group represented F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG filing a series of lawsuits against local companies for infringement of patents.
- The firm represented Darwin Technology International Ltd. in its patent indirect-infringement litigation in Beijing.
- The group represented Ericsson in the administrative litigation, in an attempt to restore an invalidated 3GPP SEP.
Co-effort Law Firm LLP
Co-effort Law Firm LLP advises on a range of IP matters, including trade mark registration, patent prosecution, copyright registration, IP litigation and enforcement. The firm focuses on the development of domestic and international markets, acting for large multinational companies. The practice is also increasingly active in the fields of software, media, mobile games, animation as well as film and TV programming. Founding partner Minjian You is known for IP work, particularly in litigation, transaction, financing and management. He co-leads the team with Fu Gang, who specialises in practice and research involving IP, corporate and anti-unfair competition law.
You Minjian; Fu Gang
Suzhou Nikki Inc. Co., Ltd
BSA (Business Software Association of America)
China Construction Bank
- Represented Pook to defense the validation dispute procedure towards 捕鱼达人 at the Supreme Court and won the case in the retrial procedure.
- Represented Actoz software file the preliminary injunction application against Wemade Entertainment Co., Ltd. and its affiliate ChuanQi IP Co., Ltd., for the prevention of the renewal of an agreement between the parties.
Mingjun Luo leads the IP team at DeHeng Law Offices in Beijing. The group has recently been advising its impressive client roster on patent prosecution, trade mark and copyright registration, unfair competition claims and domain names litigation. Shanghai-based Xinliang Tao is a key name to note for patent matters while, in Shenzhen, Jun Cui has wide experience of both advisory and contentious matters pertaining to both IP and corporate law. Also notable is Min Huang who sits in the Hefei office.
Shenzhen City Tencent Computer System Co., Ltd
IFLYTEK Co., Ltd.
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Westlake Education Foundation
Louis Vuitton Malletier
Suzhou Daoxiang Village food co. LTD.
Wemade Entertainment Co., Ltd.
- Acted for Suzhou Daoxiangcun Food Industry as defendant in civil litigation against Beijing Daoxiangcun which filed a trade mark infringement claim and also an injunction to stop the sale of the alleged infringing product.
- Represented Shenzhen City Tencent Computer System against Qianshan Company in a dispute focused on whether destroying a competitor’s technical measures through technical means constitutes an infringement of right of dissemination via information networks.
- Represented Louis Vuitton Malletier in its claim against the lobby store of Jiangmen Ligong International Hotel which sold counterfeit goods that infringed Louis Vuitton’s exclusive right of registered trade marks.
- Continues to provide general legal services to the Chinese Academy of Sciences and its affiliates around each province in China on several IP matters.
- Representing a famous Chinese musician Gao Xiaosong in his fight against copyright infringements of his works.
The intellectual property practice at Dentons China is led by patent law specialist Weidong Wang, dual-qualified as a lawyer and a patent agent, and the firm acts for clients on a wide range of IP issues. The firm is strong on litigation, advising both claimants and defendants on disputes involving patents, trade marks, unfair competition and trade secrets. Notable names within the practice include Yuzhou Yang and Feng Liu.
Xiaomi Science and Technology Co., Ltd
Guangdong OPPO Mobile Telecommunications Co., Ltd
OmniVision Co., Ltd
Emerson Electric Co., Ltd
Beijing Fengtai District ABC Foreign Language School
Konecranes Equipment (Shanghai)Co., Ltd
NXP Co., Ltd
Xiaomi Communication Technology Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Fujiang Technology Co., Ltd.
Youon Technology Co.,Ltd.
Suzhou Lopsking Aluminum Co., Ltd.
Hella Corporate Center (China) Co.,Ltd
Anji Microelectronics (Shanghai) Co., Ltd
SDAAC Automotive Air-Conditioning Systems Co., Ltd., Shanghai
- Represented Xiaomi Science and Technology Co., Ltd against Dutch Royal KPN in a patent lawsuit.
- Defended Shanghai Yicheng Information Technology Co., Ltd in an unfair competition and trade secrets lawsuit brought by 51job
Fangda Partners is best known for handling high-profile IP litigation involving complex legal and technical issues in the IT, computer science, chemicals, semiconductor and telecommunication technical fields. The group is jointly led by Beijing-based Gordon Gao, Richard Yi Lin who sits in Shanghai and Dixon Zhang who is based in the Shenzhen office. Also notable in Beijing are Fang Qi who frequently acts for pharmaceutical, biotechnology, petrochemical, telecoms, and manufacturing companies, and Alexandra Yang. Tingting Liao was recently promoted to partner in the Shanghai office.
Gordon Gao; Richard Yi Lin; Dixon Zhang
Ralph Lauren Corporation
Astellas Pharma Inc.
- Represented Astellas in seven patent infringement cases at six courts in China, seeking total damages of RMB180m, against ten Chinese generic drug companies.
- Advised on IP enforcement strategy for Ralph Lauren to seek primary and permanent injunctive orders, as well as a total amount of RMB70m as damages.
- Represented Valeo throughout proceedings in the Intellectual Property Court of PRC Supreme Court including initiating and handling the lawsuit, applying creative procedural devices, such as obtaining an interim judgement.
- Represented InterDigital in the retrial at the PRC Supreme Court against Huawei in the First FRAND/SEP case in China.
- Represented Metso Corporation in an unfair competition civil action at the Shanghai Pudong Court.
FenXun Partners is particularly strong on contentious IP, often representing clients of its partner firm Baker McKenzie FenXun before Chinese courts. Recent work has included trade secrets misappropriation, trade mark disputes and patent litigation, including in the appeals phase. Binxin Li and Aggie Liu head the practice, with the former being particularly specialised in patent work, and the latter operating from the firm's joint operation office.
Aggie Liu; Binxin Li
Global Law Office is known for litigation involving patent, trademark, copyright and un-fair competition. The firm also has expertise in research and training related to IP law. Notable in this area are Ying Mu, Ping Qiao, Jack Zhanke Li, Hongbin Zhang and Meph Jia Gui. They co-lead the team with with Yonghua Zhang, who joined from Legal Affairs Department of SIPO in 2018; and Degang Ma, who arrived from Jingtian & Gongcheng in 2018.
Ying Mu; Yonghua Zhang; Degang Ma; Ping Qiao; Jack Zhanke Li; Hongbin Zhang; Meph Jia Gui
‘They work very closely with the client to understand the technology and commercial needs behind the case’.
‘Keep client very informed of every process and progress of the case. They have strategic thinking as well’.
‘Jack Zhanke Li and his team have strong expertise in IP litigation’.
‘Jack Zhanke Li has good English language skills and communicates smoothly with clients. He has extensive expertise and practical knowledge’.
‘Meph Jia Gui is very responsive and efficient. With a profound legal foundation and remarkable eloquence, he excels in court cases’.
‘Ying Mu can quickly determine the focus and core issues of the case, and proposes targeted and practical solutions when encountering specific problems‘.
Beijig Tantan Technology Co., Ltd.
Beijing Momo Technology Co., Ltd.
Unity Technologies ApS
Le Cordon Bleu International BV
Beijing New Airport
Shenzhen Tencent Computer Systems Co., Ltd.
Honeywell International Inc.
LG Chem, Ltd
Sony Music Entertainment
- Representing Red Bull in a high profile trade mark infringement litigation.
- Act as the attorney for Beijing Momo Technology Co., Ltd. and Beijing Momo Information and Technology Co., Ltd. in a series of patent infringement cases.
- Represented ZTE Corporation in a dispute regarding its standard necessary patent license rate in Shenzhen, China.
- Represented Taiping Life in an unfair competition dispute against Dongyang Midday Sunshine.
Grandall Law Firm
At Grandall Law Firm, Xiangui Xie focuses on copyright, trade mark, patent, trade secrets and anti-unfair competition matters from the Shenzhen office. In Beijing, Xiaonan Su has a particular expertise in the high-tech, fashion, internet, medical devices, finance, and automotive sectors, while Shanghai-based Shilong Fang advises IP strategy, the evaluation of intangible assets, the negotiation of transaction agreements, and the exploitation of IP portfolios.
Xie Xianghui; Su Xiaonan; Fang Shilong
‘The team is highly experienced in the IP field and can always come up with the best solutions for their clients‘.
Wilo China Ltd.
- Represented Wilo China and won an important trade mark invalidation dispute and follow-up administrative litigation cases in China.
- Successfully represented Tencent in a trade mark infringement and unfair competition case.
- Represented Blue Lion in a copyright infringement case.
- Acted for BBK Education in a series of violations of information network communication rights cases.
Han Kun Law Offices advises on full life cycle of a trade mark, from conducting availability search and filing new applications, to challenging or defending in administrative and criminal enforcement matters. The firm has particular experience assisting start-ups and TMT companies with formulating IP strategies and managing their portfolios, including copyright registrations, software registration and enforcement matters. On the contentious side, the department is known for handling patent litigation and IP-related antitrust litigation. The non-contentious practice is co-led by Lili Wu, who joined in 2018 from CCPIT Patent and Trademark Law Office and focuses on providing patent portfolio management and patent enforcement, as well as providing experience in strategically managing patent portfolios for multinational clients; Vivian He, who specialises in handling a range of contentious, non-contentious and transactional IP matters; and Yan Wang, who acts for domestic and international clients and also leads the contentious team.
- Represented ByteDance in a patent infringement disputed initiated by a Chinese NPE in online data transmitting technology industry. The patent-at-issue is related to online video data transmitting technology.
- Represented Symrise in a patent infringement action against Nanjing Spechem, a domestic company engaged in the development and manufacture of cosmetic materials.
- Acted for iDreamsky in a copyright and unfair-competition action against ZPLAY.
- Represented Estee Lauder in a dispute caused by an investigation report published by China Consumer Association (CCA), in which CCA found that NetEase Kaola was selling counterfeit cosmetic products.
- Acted for Kraft Heinz in a matter that involves the alleged infringement on the competitor’s trade dress.
Hylands Law Firm has an established reputation in the IP space where it handles both contentious and advisory matters for household names such as CCTV, the NBA and ESPN. Based in Beijing, Yuzi Zhu is an expert in IP infringement disputes as well as challenging government decisions, while Zhengning Li is best known for his work in the entertainment industry where he represents directors, actors and artists. Also notable is Han Zhou who was recently promoted to partner in the Beijing office.
Yuzi Zhu; Zhengning Li
Other key lawyers:
China Film Copyright Association
China Quanjude Group
China Guardian Auctions Co., Ltd
- Acted for NBA in a copyright and unfair competition dispute with PPS and iQIYI regarding whether copyrights of live sports programmes could be extended to internet non-interactive broadcasting.
- Assisted CCTV Animation as claimant with its copyright dispute with Xuzhou Lebi Trading Co Ltd regarding its “Panda and Little Mole” cartoon.
- Represented K2 in its appeal against the judgement made by Beijing Intellectual Property Court which rejected the client’s application for trade mark.
The team at JunHe LLP primarily focuses on patent procurement, transactions and enforcement in China in a variety of technology areas including pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, medical devices, material sciences, chemistry, energy, clean technology, telecoms, electronics, software, and e-business. The group is split into the patent department - jointly led by Zhaohui (Zoe) Wang and Jian (James) Zhu; and the trade marks department, jointly led by Chumeng (Jessica) Xu and Qiang Ma.
Chumeng Xu; Qiang Ma; Jian Zhu; Zhaohui Wang
‘This is a good team that works well with US businesses’.
‘The JunHe team combines thoroughness and practicality, and delivers results. Their analysis is always on-point. JunHe clearly is essential to helping us make smart decisions in the China legal and business space’.
‘Johnson Wang has prevailed for us before the PRB, resolving patent litigation before anything substantive happened by invalidating the patent’.
‘Qiang Ma’s level of English, dedication to his clients, and familiarity with overseas trade mark business are high enough to distinguish him from other competitors‘.
‘We continue to be impressed by Tao Sun and the standard of work that he sets for the JunHe team. Without question, he is our ‘go-to’ person for all of our IP woes in China’.
BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft(AG))
Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
Emerson Electric Co.
Carl Freudenberg KG
Mary Kay, Inc.
- Represented BMW in the retrial against an official decision of cancellation of improper registration at the Supreme Court.
- Represented the Lonati/Santoni Group in its filing of six patent enforcement litigations at three different courts.
- Acted for Beijing Dong Lai Shun Group Co., Ltd. in maintaining the registration of its famous 稻香春 trade mark.
- Represented Project Management Institute, Inc. in its appeal at Beijing Higher People’s Court, claiming that the use of the mark “PMBOK” by the adversary on publications constitutes infringement of PMI’s trade mark “PMBOK”.
Kangxin Partners, p.c.'s patents offering is spearheaded by James Chen and Shirley Dong and is divided into electronics, chemistry and life sciences, and mechanics sector sub-groups. On the trade marks side, Gloria Wu's group advises its clients on the optimum strategy for the complete protection of their intellectual property rights across the entire life cycle of their product or brand, and assists with issues arising from online domain names. Also notable is Samson Yu who specialises in patent and trade mark prosecution, due diligence, and counseling.
Gloria Wu; Shirley Dong; James Chen
Other key lawyers:
Christian Dior Couture
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons' 'experienced' team has substantial experience in the automobile, manufacturing, and healthcare and pharmaceutical sectors. Xiaoli Yang specialises in trade mark, domain name, copyright and unfair competition matters, while Maohua Wang leads the patent team. The group recently expanded its patent offering through the promotion to partner of Linlin Zhao and Niu Weiran in Beijing, and Yirui Zhang in Shanghai. Also notable is the arrival of experienced patent attorney Tina Tai in Beijing from China Patent Agent (H.K.) Ltd., contentious IP partners He Wei and Qu Miao, and Beijing's Zhu Nongfan who focuses on IP asset management and transactional matters.
Xiaoli Yang; Maohua Wang; He Wei; Qu Miao; Zhu Nongfan
‘The firm’s IP team, especially the contentious team, has been enjoying a prestigious reputation for its expertise, quality of service and the capability and competency in dealing with highly complex and delicate cases, in a solution and client-oriented manner’.
‘Compared to other firms’ contentious teams, the King & Wood Mallesons team is distinguished for its language proficiency, solid and highly experienced leading partners and quality of the associates’.
‘Miao Qu has the ability of managing complex and cross-border cases in a thoughtful way. She’s easy to communicate with, sensible and very solid and determined in defending the client’s legitimate interests’.
Johnson & Johnson
Beijing Xiaoju Technology Co., Ltd.
Fast Retailing Co., Ltd.
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Emerson Electric Co.
N.V. Bekaert S.A.
Christian Louboutin S.A.S
Ryohin Keikaku Co., Ltd.
China National Petroleum Corporation
Ryohin Keikaku Co., Ltd.
K11 Concepts Limited
General Electric Company
GlaxoSmithKline Services Unlimited
China UnionPay Co., Ltd.
- Successfully represented Daiichi Sankyo Company in a patent validity case by obtaining a retrial judgment issued by the Supreme People’s Court of The People’s Republic of China.
- Successfully assisted Gilead with the defence of its key compound TAF patent’s validity at the Patent Re-examination Board.
- Acted for Baidu Online Network Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd. and Beijing Baidu Netcom Science and Technology Co., Ltd. on a series of patent infringement and litigation cases.
- Represented Gilead in maintaining its patent for a blockbuster antiviral drug.
- Successfully represented Fujitsu in a lasting battle with a Chinese infringer in a complex trade mark invalidation case.
Boutique IP firm Lawjay Partners is best known for its trade mark, copyright and unfair competition litigation practice. Managing partner James Luo recently represented several leading global brands in Supreme Court retrials and obtained a high-profile victory in a trade mark infringement action against an online counterfeiter and its online service provider. The firm is headquartered in Beijing and has a branch office in Guangzhou.
Pandora A/S 6
- Represented Synlait Milk in civil actions for unfair competition and false advertising against a dairy company that produced imitations and misleading similar products, and a company that maliciously pre-emptively registered the client’s trade mark.
Lifang & Partners is particularly well known for its strong patent litigation department, which is led by Xi Sun and acts for some of the key players, both foreign and domestic, in the China market. Bin Zhang heads the wider IP litigation team, which also handles trade mark, copyright, and technical contract disputes in addition to the patent practice. The firm also provides non-contentious IP services, including due diligence, licensing, transactions, and registration of IP rights.
The IP team at Llinks Law Offices advises clients on all issues pertaining to patent, trade mark, copyright, domain name, trade secrets, unfair competition and technology imports and exports across a wide range of industries such as telecoms, electronics, software, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and e-commerce. Additionally, the group designs protection schemes for the protection and enforcement of intangible asset portfolios. Also notable are litigators Peiming Yang and Mark Zhang, and transactional IP partner Xun Yang who advises on IP strategy, outsourcing, competition and data privacy.
Charles Qin; David Yu; Nicholas Lou
‘Their response time to our requests is quick. The advice on IP management and contracting is exceptionally helpful, especially on the setting up of subsidiaries in China for business areas that have restrictions‘.
‘The team’s deep understanding and insight in intellectual property rights effectively protect the rights and interests of clients‘.
‘Xun Yang has good understanding and professional skills in the software industry. In extremely complex business negotiations, he discovers the potential risks behind complex software transactions and finds solutions in a timely manner‘.
Shanghai Egoo Networks Co., Ltd.
- Representing Shanghai Egoo Networks Co., Ltd. as claimant in an unfair competition and infringement case pertaining to the violation of non-disclosure and non-competition obligations by a competitor and a former staff.
- Advising an electric appliance manufacturer on its trade mark licensing agreement with a European manufacturer.
The IP experts at Tahota Law Firm specialise in the chemical engineering, electronics, machinery, energy, metallurgy, physics, biomedicine sectors where the team handles litigation, arbitration, mediation and non-litigatious matters pertaining to patents, trade mark, copyright, trade secrets and antitrust issues. Hong Ni leads the practice from Chengdu and represents a varied client base including several government agencies and universities.
Sichuan Renzhong Investment Management Co., Ltd.
Huang Laowu Food Co., Ltd
Societe Jas Hennessy & Co.
Beijing Sogou Technology Development Co., Ltd., Beijing Sogou Information Service Co., Ltd.
Yanlord Land (Chengdu) Co., Ltd.
Yanlord Land (Chengdu) Co., Ltd.
- Represented Huang Laowu Food Co., Ltd. in an unfair competition claim against Sichuan Wende Food Co., Ltd.
- Acted for Sichuan Renzhong Investment Management Co., Ltd. in its action against Miaolong Xiao Long Kan Hot Pot of Chang’an District, Xi’an on the grounds of trade mark infringement and unfair competition.
- Represented Environmental Design Langshining in its suit against the Patent Reexamination Board of SIPO and the third party Sichuan Tianjina Machinery Equipment Manufacturing Co., Ltd. following a decision made by the Board to reject the client’s patent invalidation request.
- Handled the retrial of a copyright infringement dispute between Shenzhen Feipengda Boutique Manufacturing Co., Ltd., as claimant and the respondent, Beijing AVIC Zhicheng Technology Co., Ltd., regarding the copyright of an aircraft model.
- Acted for Tsinghua University in its suit against Lu Cheng, Beijing Laolushuo Management Consulting Co., Ltd and Fenghuang Aiting (Beijing) Information Technology Co., Ltd. regarding trade mark infringement and unfair competition dispute.
Tian Yuan Law Firm advises on the full gamut of intellectual property services including trade mark application and litigation, patent invalidation and infringement litigation, IP licensing and implementation, trade secret infringement litigation, strategic management consultation and IP-aspects of transactions. Practice head Yan Sun is particularly experienced in the IT sector and works closely with Qi Wang who specialises in contentious IP matters.
Other key lawyers:
Sichuan Yema Automobile Co., Ltd
Beijing Education Star Technology Co., Ltd.
Hongjun Industrial Development Co., Ltd
Beijing Watchdata Co., Ltd.
China Tianchen Engineering Corporation
- Acted for Sichuan Yema Automobile Co., Ltd in its dispute against Ford China and its authorised dealer Sichuan Pioneer Motors Co. Ltd for the infringement of its trade mark.
- Represented Beijing Education Star Technology Co., Ltd. as defendant in a patent infringement dispute filed by Wuxi Seemile Technology Co., Ltd.
- Acted for Hongjun Industrial Development Co., Ltd as defendant in a trade mark infringement claim filed by HUGO BOSS regarding the use of the “BOSSsunwen” mark.
- Continues to advise Beijing Watchdata Co., Ltd. on a series of patent infringement disputes with Hengbao Co., Ltd.
- Represented China Tianchen Engineering Corporation as defendant in a breach of trade secret case filed by Akzo Nobel Chloroacetic Acid Chemical (Taixing) Co., Ltd, China Pingmei Shenma Group Kaifeng Dongda Chemical Co., Ltd, and Shandong Minji Chemical Co., Ltd.
Unitalen Attorneys at Law is an IP boutique with experience in the procurement, licensing and enforcement of IP rights, as well as expertise in matters related to the infringement of existing third-party IP rights. The firm is also known for advising on patent, trade mark and copyright applications. Notable in this area are Deshan Li, who focuses on patent procurement and patent enforcement; and Bradley Yu, who specialises in trade mark, trade dress, unfair competition, domain names, licensing and anti-counterfeiting matters.
Wanhuida Intellectual Property handles patent and trade mark filings, manages portfolios, and has a particularly strong expertise in the trade marks field where the team advises on matters such as parallel import, fair use, co-existence, liability of online trading platform, super well-known trade mark status, character merchandising and conflicts of rights. Also notable is the firm's strength in the patents space which it regularly handles complex patent disputes for clients including Bayer HealthCare, Decathlon and SEB. Gang Bai leads the practice from its Beijing office with the support of senior partners Hui Huang, Halyan Ren and Sam Li. Jason Yao is also a name to note who divides his time between Shenzhen and Hong Kong.
‘The firm is specialised in patent prosecution, particularly in handling national PCT applications’.
‘Sam Li has very broad knowledge of IP, knowledge of what a company really needs instead of just providing legal advice’.
- Representing Lacoste in a invalidation proceeding and the subsequent administrative litigation initiated by Cartelo Crocodile Pte Ltd against its registered trade mark.
- Representing a major Keemun tea maker in invalidating the registration of Keemun Black Tea certification trade mark, which erroneously designated Qimen County as the exclusive growing region of Keemun tea.
- Acting for the Commercial Press in bringing a trade mark infringement and unfair competition action against an infringer that publishes copycats of the client’s best-selling dictionary, obtained favorable court decision, judicial WKTM recognition of the client’s unregistered trade mark, injunction and damages of RMB3.27m.
- Representing China Spider King, a major Chinese footwear maker and proprietor of prior spider device trade mark registration in the opposition review administrative proceeding against another spider device trade mark application filed by Spider Group Limited.
- Representing Bayer HealthCare in a patent administrative enforcement action against an infringer offering for the sale of the patented products and obtaining favourable IPO decision.
Watson & Band
Specialising in contentious IP issues, Watson & Band is experienced acting in trade mark proceedings, IP licensing, filing and prosecution matters. The firm has particular expertise in the entertainment, media and pharmaceutical sectors. Key contacts include George Fu, Shenmin Xu and Jean Yang.
Zhong Lun Law Firm is home to an IP team which is strong on all areas of both contentious and non-contentious work, covering the whole spectrum of rights beyond the more standard patent, trade mark and copyright issues. The practice is headed by Jihong Chen, Cliff Yang, Weihua Yang, Helen Cheng, and Fanglong Sun, while Jimmy Huang is highly recommended for contentious work, including trade mark litigation, domain name disputes and unfair competition cases. Other key areas of work for the firm include IP licensing, strategic advice on IP rights exploitation, and due diligence on the IP aspects of M&A transactions
‘Full service practice with excellent IP and litigation capabilities. Very high professional standard throughout the entire spectrum of services. They understand what Western clients need‘.
‘Very responsive with expertise in IP, regulatory and other areas, allowing a holistic approach to advice given‘.
‘Because the team’s service covers all trade mark-related matters, it can prevent and control dispute resolution risks in the trade mark application, and when dispute arises, the team can handle it seamlessly leveraging the experience and advantages of filing of trade marks‘.
‘Helen Cheng is very responsive and dedicated‘.
‘Helen Cheng is particularly knowledgeable on both IP Matters and other issues, and is able to give pragmatic, industry appropriate advice. Helen’s language capabilities are excellent, as are her interpersonal skills’.
‘Weihua Yang provides effective solutions in a timely and flexible manner‘.
Galvin Green AB, Sweden
Blue bottle coffee
Huntsman Advanced Materials (Switzerland) GmbH
Schunk Sono Systems
DSM Jiangshan Pharmaceutical (Jiangsu) Co., Ltd
Eli Lilly and Company
Beijing Sogou Technology Development Co., Ltd.
Organic waste systems (OWS)
Jinko Solar Co., Ltd.
Qidong Vision Mounts Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen ZhiYi Technology Co., Ltd (iLife)
Shenzhen Tencent Computer System Co., Ltd.
Beijing Iqiyi Science and Technology Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Hai Dian Software Co., Ltd.
Hangzhou Weiquan Food Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Xunmeng Information and Technology Co.,Ltd.
Shanghai Feng Chuang Information Consulting Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Cai Tong De Tang Traditional Pharmacy Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Erguang Food Management Co., Ltd.
Nanosphere (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.(Xi Neng ,INC.)
Micro Medical Cloud (Hangzhou) Holdings Ltd.
Gua Hao Wang(Hangzhou ) Technology Co., Ltd.
Hangzhou Guanggfa Technology Co., Ltd.
Zhejiang Tianmei Electronics Co., Ltd.
Guangzhou Cool Dog Computer Technology Co., Ltd.
Jiangsu Hengyuan Lighting Co., Ltd.
Jinhua AI Mo Li Baby Products Co., Ltd.
Newmans (Shanghai) Food Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Fun Network Technology Co., Ltd.
Anhui Bauhinia Wallpaper Co., Ltd.
Hangzhou Jingwei Network Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Halls Oil Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Wenhua Financial Information Co., Ltd.
Jiangsu Guanghua Wright Lighting Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Yingbin Tian Hao Food Management Co., Ltd.
Shenyang Shijie Technology Co., Ltd.
Hitevision Co., Ltd.
Fresenius Kabi China
Beijing Xiaoju Technology Co., Ltd.
Hengbao Co., Ltd.
Bittel Intelligent Technology Co., Ltd.
Ceragem Co., Ltd.
UP Chemical Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Mileseey Technology Co., Ltd.
O-Film Tech Co., Ltd.
Beijing Shougang International Engineering Technology Co., Ltd.
Beijing Bytedance Telecommunications Co., Ltd.
O2 Micro Technology Co., Ltd.
Chengdu DKM Network Technology Co., Ltd.
The People’s Insurance Company (Group) of China Limited
Zhongrong International Trust Co. Ltd.
China National Offshore Oil Corporation
China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation Limited
State Development & Investment Corporation
Beijing Qiyi Century Science and Technology CO., LTD.
Shenzhen Meixixi Catering Management Co., Ltd.
Toyota Motor China Investment Co., Ltd.
Cainiao Network Technology Co., Ltd
Beijing Mewe Media Co., Ltd.
Beijing SOHU New Era Information Technology CO., LTD.
Renrendai Business Consultant (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
Power Dekor Group Co., Ltd.
Ping An Health Cloud Company Limited
Chongqing Jingxiaobai Liquor Co., Ltd.
Ferrante Intellectual Property
Ferrante Intellectual Property has offices in Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong, and handles a range of IP matters, including registration, enforcement and anti-counterfeiting. It also has additional expertise in licensing, customs, product liability and advertising law. Among its recent successes was its representation of Consitex in a dispute concerning two trade marks; the team obtained two favourable judgments from the Supreme People's Court in 2018, setting aside the unfavourable second instance judgments and ordering the TRAB to issue new decisions to invalidate the disputed trade marks. Michele Ferrante is the founding and managing partner.
Other key lawyers:
James Wang; Felice Meli; Dorothy Hu; Zoey Xu
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER LLP
PORTA, CHECCACCI & ASSOCIATI S.p.A.
Barzanò & Zanardo
TROPHEE DMN DIVISION SRL
- Represented fashion company Consitex in a dispute against trade marks “Yves Zegnoa” and “伊夫•杰诺亚”(Chinese version of “Yves Zegnoa”) in Class 25 held by Liu Sanwen.