Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property: PRC firms
Chang Tsi & Partners
The firm: Since 2002, Chang Tsi & Partners has been guiding multinational companies with its expertise in Chinese law and business. Headquartered in Beijing, with branches in the finance capital Shanghai, the trade capital Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and two liaison partners in the US, it has 260+ employees.View Profile...
Intellectual property: PRC firms in China
AFD China Intellectual Property Law Office has a strong non-contentious offering that handle various issues relating to patents, trade marks and copyrights. Key areas of work include filling, prosecutions and registrations. Founding partner Xia Zheng heads the practice. Hong Long is very experienced in patent prosecution and Jingjing Wu is a key contact in the firm's trade mark team.
‘AFD is a solid and reliable partner for patent prosecution. I trust their judgment and appreciate their guidance on each particular case.’
‘Consistent standard. Specialist attorneys. Efficient and responsive. Good uniformity of standards and service compared to other firms. Able to think laterally and meet client needs.’
Archer Daniels Midland
Beijing New Building Material (Group)
BOE Technology Group
AllBright Law Offices has a sizeable practice with plenty of experience in handling contentious matters relating to intellectual property. The team regularly advise on patents, trade marks, copyrights, and unfair competition issues. Practice head Liu Minxuan has a strong background in litigation and arbitration particularly for cases involving technology patents.
Beijing Kuaishou Technology Co., Ltd.(China)
Hellobike(Shanghai Junzheng Network Technology Co., Ltd. and Shanghai Junfeng Network Technology Co., Ltd.(China)
Artpioneerstudio(Shanghai) Ltd. (China)
The H.D Lee Company Inc. (United States)
Brother Industries, Ltd. (Japan)
Shanghai MicroPort Scientific Co., Ltd. (China)
Nike Innovate, C.V(United States)
Fast Retailing (China) Co., Ltd. (Japan)
China UnionPay Co., Ltd. (China)
Burberry Limited (UK)
- Advised Artpioneerstudio on IP protection and planning.
- Advised Burger King (China) Investment Co. on patent infringement and invalidation.
- Advised BEABA Inc. on design patent infringement.
An, Tian, Zhang & Partners has a team of specialists that cover a wide range of issues relating to intellectual property law, with a strong focus on contentious work. The team handles administrative and civil litigation cases concerning trade mark, patents, domain name, and copyright issues. Managing partner David Tian has expertise in intellectual property litigation with experience in handling cases concerning unfair competition and intellectual property rights enforcement. Tian is praised for his 'great expertise and communication'. Li Ruifeng is also noted and has very good 'case handling skills'.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have found the overall level of service to be of high quality.’
‘David Tian who is strong and knowledgeable lawyer.’
‘Precise, straight and to the the point. Very fast handling of issues and short response times. Good and helpful communication, high level of expertise and high success rate.’
‘Li Ruifeng: Very good communication and case handling skills. Understands and anticipates needs of client, helps to expedite matters.’
‘David Tian: Great expertise and communication.’
‘I have worked with the firm since its founding around 20 years ago and have always been impressed with its attention to detail.’
‘David Tian and Li Ruifeng are key partners that have run cases with me now and I have seen them develop from young lawyers into experienced partners.’
FRESHFIELDS Bruckhaus Deringer
Baron Philippe de Rothschild S.A.
Gilead Sciences, LLC
Jones & Co
Mazda Motor Corporation
Pernod Ricard Group
Shell Brands International AG
- Advised Syngenta Participations AG on the trademark infringement case and obtained a compensation of RMB1,000,000 for the client.
- Advised Hensley Industries Inc. on the patent infringement case and obtained a compensation of RMB350,000 for the client.
- Advised Shell Brands International AG on the invalidation against the malicious trademark filings and necessary administrative actions to stop the use of these marks.
AnJie Law Firm advises across a broad range of intellectual property-related issues including infringement, patent validity challenges, copyright, and unfair competition. Sectors of expertise include healthcare, sport, and technology. A key growth area for the practice has been its involvement in trade secrets work and the team now advises both domestic and international clients. Practice head Dr. Nick Liu has a strong background in litigation and arbitration and co-head Dr. Wu Li focuses on patent prosecution, invalidation actions and litigation. He Jing and Chen Zhixing are also noted.
ASSA ABLOY AB
Cambrios Film Solutions (Xiamen) Corporation
Rechsand Science & Technology Group
Teikoku Piston Ring Co., Ltd.
Edan Instruments, Inc.
AKZO Nobel Chemicals International B.V.
Shenzhen Dymind Biotechnological Inc.
Tianjin Hemay Pharmaceutical Technology Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Senior Material Technology Co., Ltd.
A. O. SMITH
ROCKWOOL INTERNATIONAL A/S
CHR. HANSEN A/S
Travel Sentry Inc.
Beijing Baocaisheng Food and Beverage Management Co., Ltd.
XIAO GUAN CHA
CHINA SEEDS INTERNATIONAL
- Advised EDAN on a series of patent lawsuits filed by Mindray.
- Advised Travel Sentry on issues relating to trade mark registrations, patent invalidation and copyright.
- Advised Beijing Baocaisheng Food and Beverage Management Co. on protecting its pastry brand and represented the client in a series of civil litigation cases.
Baker McKenzie FenXun
Baker McKenzie FenXun is recognised for its work in disputes and litigation involving trade marks, patents, copyright, trade secrets, enterprise names, trade dress, domain names, and unfair competition. The practice displays in-depth knowledge of the healthcare, technology, media and communications, luxury and consumer products, and the food and beverage sectors. Aggie Liu is experienced in handling a range of cases including enforcement, litigation and domain name issues. Binxin Li heads the firm's patent practice and advises on portfolio management and filing projects. Honghuan Liu and Xi Zhou are also noted.
Karen Murrell Enterprises Limited
Louis Vuitton Malletier
- Defended PanOptis in FRAND and antitrust litigation.
- Acted for Alfa Laval Corporate AB in infringement litigation.
- Advising Panduit Corp. in patent infringement appeal and invalidation defense.
CCPIT Patent and Trademark Law Office has a sizeable intellectual property practice and offers clients a full-service approach. The firm advises clients on both contentious and non-contentious matters relating to trade marks, patents, domain names and more. The firm has a strong international presence with office locations spread across Asia, USA, and Europe. Practice head Hao Ma focuses on patent prosecution, reexamination, invalidation actions and appeals in addition to transactional matters. Other key individuals include Zhongqi Zhou and Chuanhong Long, both of whom have a high level of expertise in advising domestic and foreign chemical and pharmaceutical companies.
- Represented Baidu in its dispute with Sogou.
- Represent APPLE INC in the patent of invalidation case of “finger sensing device including differential measurement circuitry and related methods”.
- Advising Xiamen Innovax Biotech CO.,LTD. and Xiamen University on all intellectual property-related matters.
Chang Tsi & Partners has a 'global outlook' and is 'pleasant to work with'. The firm has a strong client offering that covers the full spectrum of intellectual property law. The practice is spread across Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, as well as other domestic and international locations. The firm strengthened its international presence with the opening of a new office in Seoul in early 2020. Trade mark application work accounted for a large proportion of the team's workload, along with patent work. Litigation and disputes are also burgeoning areas. Beijing-based Simon Tsi and founding partner Spring Chang are highly recommended. David Lee, Chenyan Wu, and Kenneth Ng are also noted.
‘Spring Chang is the Managing Partner and is always very responsive and knowledgeable.’
‘Very attentive, efficient, pleasant to work with.’
‘Chang Tsi & Partners take special effort to present their advice using terms/expressions and strategies that practitioners from outside of China would be well familiar with. It is a Chinese firm with a global outlook.’
‘Ms Wu Chenyan – She is very responsive and diligent.’
Illinois Tool Works Inc.
Johnson Controls, Inc.
Guinness World Records Ltd.
Lego Toy (Shanghai) Co. Ltd.
- Successfully defended Michael Kors in a trade mark infringement case.
- Successfully represented Ambiq Micro in a trade mark infringement case.
- Successfully defended Pagoda Orchard Industrial Development in a trade mark infringement case.
China Patent Agent (H.K.) Ltd.
China Patent Agent (H.K.) Ltd. demonstrates a high level of expertise in contentious and non-contentious matters relating to intellectual property. Key areas of expertise include application prosecution, litigation, licensing in relation to patents, trade marks, and copyrights. The practice often handles substantial infringement cases before the Supreme Court, Intellectual Property Courts and People's Courts. The firm has a strong geographic presence in China, the United States, Japan and Europe. Dapeng Wen and Longzhi Yin jointly head the practice. 'Brilliant patent attorney and litigator' Yanfeng Xiong is also noted. Xiong focuses on patent prosecution, invalidation and litigation.
‘CPA is a powerhouse when it comes to IP, both contentious and non-contentious. I am mainly working with CPA in patent matters and is my “number one” if I have a non-Chinese client that needs to win a contentious patent case in PRC. My number one contact person is Mr. Yanfeng Xiong.’
‘Mr. Yanfeng Xiong is a brilliant patent attorney and litigator. If I have a contentious case in China, I will always contact him first. For me and my clients, he has a 100% winning rate. He knows all the tools in the legal toolbox and apply these to the cases very cleverly. Besides, he is nice and easy to work with. It’s always a pleasure working together with him and his team!’
ERASMUS UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER ROTTERDAM
ALFA LAVAL CORPORATE AB
BAYER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY GMBH
OERLIKON SURFACE SOLUTIONS AG，PFAFFIKON
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
HONEYWELL INTERNATIONAL INC.
INTERVET INTERNATIONAL B.V.
- Secured a favourable 2nd instance judgement from the IP Tribunal of the Supreme Court on behalf of Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam and Roger Kingdon Craig.
- Secured a favourable 2nd instance judgement from the IP Tribunal of the Supreme Court on behalf of Alfa Laval Corporate AB.
- Acted for Darwin Technology International Ltd. in a contributory infringement case.
Co-effort Law Firm LLP
Co-effort Law Firm LLP has a team of specialists that advise on trade mark registration, patent prosecution, copyright registration, and IP litigation and arbitration. Key industries of expertise include entertainment, media and technology. Co-founding partner You Minjian heads the practice. Fu Gang is noted for a focuse on corporate and unfair competition law in addition to IP.
BSA (Business Software Association of America)
China Construction Bank
Haohai Biotechnology 6826 HK
Suzhou Nikki Inc. Co., Ltd
- Advised Tencent in the first domestic AR game pre-trial injunction case.
- Successfully represented China Literature in an IP law suit and was awarded a significant sum of liquidated damages.
- Successfully represented Yoka Games as the claimant of a case claiming protection for game rules based on copyright law.
DeHeng Law Offices has a broad client base which includes some of the leading public and private organisations. The firm's clients are involved in a variety of sectors such as finance, energy, technology, transport and manufacturing. The team regularly advise on issues relating to patents, trade marks, copyright and unfair competition. Luo Mingjun has significant experience handling patents, trade secrets and unfair competition.
Chinese Academy of Sciences
IFLYTEK Co., Ltd.
Yibin Wu Liang Ye
Louis Vuitton Malletier
Beijing Redstar Wine
Higher Education Press
China Resources Sanjiu Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd
Shenzhen uCloudlink Network Technology Co.,Ltd
Jenny Bakery Food Company
Shandong Lukang Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
INNO INSTRUMENT INC.
Guangzhou Zhaolong Culture Technology Co., Ltd.
Yang Sheng Tang
Double Happiness Cooker Company
Weifang Lutong Machinery Co., Ltd
Gubeichun Co., Ltd
- Advised uCloudlink and its subsidiaries in numerous patent lawsuits filed by Skyroam and its subsidiaries.
- Assisted Jenny Bakery with legal guidance on trade mark application and registration, as well as invalidation and litigation.
- Successfully acted for Koi Kei Food Co. in a trade mark infringement case.
Dentons China has an experienced intellectual property litigation team that advises on a variety of issues, in addition to patents and trade marks - unfair competition claims and antitrust concerns. Weidong Wang is a key point of contact and is dual qualified as a lawyer and a patent attorney. Shanghai-based Yuzhou Yang advises on intellectual property litigation and invalidation. Yong Zhang specialises in trade secrets and anti-unfair competition matters. Feng Liu is also noted.
Beijing Zhongxin Financial Information Co., Ltd
Shandong Shinva Ande Healthcare Apparatus Co., Ltd
Foshan Deerma Electric Appliance Co., Ltd
Donghao Lansheng (Group) Co., Ltd.
Joy Air Holding Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Public Art Coordination Center (PACC)
Shanghai Yicheng Information Technology Co., Ltd.
Lezhuo Network Technology (Shanghai) Limited by Shares
Shanghai Songheng Network Technology Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Orient Webcasting Co., Ltd.
Hangzhou Qulian Technology Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Jiao Da Onlly Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Zhina Network Technology Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Pumen Environmental Engineering Technology Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Jinxin Network Technology Co., Ltd.
OmniVision Technologies, Inc.
Xiaomi Science & Technology Co., Ltd.
Qingdao Yeelight Information and Technology Co., Ltd.
Foreo (Shanghai) Trading Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Fujiang Technology Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Lihe Taimei Technology Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Xiaoguiren Trading Co., Ltd.
Guangzhou Huoduoduo Clothing Co., Ltd.
- Represented Foreo (Shanghai) against three corporations infringing its design patent before the Shanghai Intellectual Property Court.
- Advised Shenzhen Fujiang Technology Co. in lawsuits for the confirmation of patent application right, for technical secret infringement, and copyright infringement.
- Defended Xiaomi Science and Technology Co. in a patent protection and infringement case.
Fangda Partners has a strong reputation for handling high-profile intellectual property litigation involving IT, computer science, chemicals, semiconductor and telecommunication industries. The work includes patent infringement, anti-trust and FRAND disputes in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. Dr. Gordon Gao has a strong background in intellectual property disputes. Richard Yi Lin and Dixon Zhang head the practice alongside Gao. Zhang has expertise in anti-monopoly litigation and Lin specialises in intellectual property infringement and anti-counterfeiting. The team is praised for its 'professional and diligent' approach.
‘The members of the team are reasonable. The partners put much effort on each case and are responsible for all the paper works. They are very professional and diligent. Everyone work hard in their law firm.’
Astellas Pharma Inc.
Ralph Lauren Corporation
- Represented Astellas in seven patent infringement cases before six courts in China, seeking for the damages in a total amount of RMB180 million, against ten Chinese generic drug companies.
- Represented Valeo, a French automobile accessory manufacturer, in a civil patent infringement lawsuit.
- Advised Ralph Lauren Corporation in trade mark infringement lawsuits, copyright infringement lawsuits, unfair competition lawsuits and administrative litigation proceedings.
Ferrante Intellectual Property
Ferrante Intellectual Property has an established presence in contentious intellectual property work in which it displays a high level of expertise. The practice also has a particular strength in the registration and enforcement of trade marks, licensing and franchising, anti-counterfeiting and domain names. Founding partner Michele Ferrante is highlighted for his deep understanding of the China market and for 'offering solutions from a strategic point of view'.
‘Compared to larger firms, they offer a personal approach to clients with tailor-made solutions. I can talk to Michele and the Ferrante team directly without excessive procedures for IP advice. They are always resourceful in finding ways to deal with cases under limitation e.g. time, budget and information.’
‘Michele personally has IP experience in China for more than 20 years. He is a very experienced IP practitioner and understands my needs and the market where I do business. He and the team he’s leading have a deep understanding of the China market and dynamics. Michele and his people offer us solutions from a strategic point of view and always consider from the clients’ point of view and act in my best interests.’
‘Ferrante Intellectual Property is exceptional in the quality of work it delivers and their passion to protect their clients’ IP assets. Ferrante is experienced in dealing with IP matters in my industry. Also, their counterparts speak highly of Ferrante IP. They have a high success rate in trademark and patent actions and demonstrate high responsiveness and never compromise their quality of work. Their cultural diversity makes them flexible and able to communicate counterparts from different backgrounds.’
‘Michele is an IP guru, especially for the China market. He’s also leading a team with a deep understanding of the China market and Michele personally has IP experience in China for 20 years. Apart from the quality of work and professionalism, Michele is leading his team to offer solutions from a strategic point of view, understanding business and legal landscapes in the present as well as regulatory and market developments in the future, in order to act in my best interests.’
- Successfully obtained two innovative decisions from the Supreme People’s Court on the assessment of trade mark similarity.
Global Law Office has a strong contentious offering and handles cases that reach the Supreme People's Court and provincial-level high courts. The practice advises on high-value, and often, high-profile litigation cases involving patents, trade marks, copyright and unfair competition. The team also has a broad non-continues/transactional practice. Key points of contact include Ying Mu, Ping Qiao, and Jack Zhanke Li, who handles patent/ technology licensing, and portfolios management in addition to litigation. Also a central team member, Meph Jia Gui led on a trade secrets case involving damages of RMB0.27 billion.
‘Excellent partner for our trademark litigation in China. We strongly rely on the high quality advice.’
‘Clear communication, quick follow up, professional handling of our account.’
Honeywell International Inc.
LG Chem, Ltd
Sony Music Entertainment
Shenzhen Tencent Computer Systems Co., Ltd.
Ministry of Culture of PRC
Zhongxing Telecommunication Equipment Corporation
Light Chaser Animation
Agriculture Bank of China
Yang Video Media Development Co., Ltd.
Aikang Biotechnology (Hangzhou) Co., Ltd.
Beijing Kang Bei Er Food Co., Ltd.
COL Digital Publishing Group Co., Ltd.
OPPO Guangdong Mobile Communications Co., LTD.
QC House Technology Co., Ltd.
- Advised Yoovidhya Family in a series of trade mark ownership disputes with its former joint venture partner, Yan Bin.
- Defended Weltmeister/Weima before the Sichuan High Court in a trade secret dispute.
- Advised QC House Technology Co. on copyright issues concerning software.
Grandall Law Firm has a strong contentious offering within its intellectual property practice and displays in-depth expertise. The team handles trade secrets, unfair competition, infringement and domain name issues. Shanghai-based Fang Shilong and Shenzhen-based Xie Xianghui both have extensive experience handling issues relating to patents, trade marks and copyrights.
Other key lawyers:
PROSEGUR COMPANIA DE SEGURIDAD S.A.[Spain]
MD SKIN SOLUTIONS SARL [ Luxemburg]
ZIIP LLC （USA）
Merrill Inc (USA)
Shanghai Pharma Group Stock Company
Zhejiang Tianyu Pharm Stock Company
Zhejiang Giuseppe Clothing Stock Company
Dalian Energas Stock Company
Nouya New Material Stock Company
Shanghai Zhuofan IT Stock Company
Nanyang Commercial Bank (China)
University of Shanghai for Science and Technology
Sinopec Shanghai Gaoqiao Petroleum Company
Shanghai Sciyee Environmental Equipment Company
- Advised University of Shanghai Science and Technology on trade mark invalidation.
- Advised Tencent in disputes concerning trade mark infringement and unfair competition.
- Successfully defended Jiangsu Zhongxun Digital Electronics Co. in disputes concerning damage liability due to malicious initiation of IP litigation.
Han Kun Law Offices is known for being able to handle complex intellectual property and antitrust issues, as well as advising on patent and trade mark portfolios. The firm has three office locations in Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen. Key sectors of expertise include telecommunications, computer science, electronics, software, and chemistry. Lili Wu has a strong background in patent portfolio management and patent enforcement. Shenzhen-based Vivian He handles a wide range of contentious and non-contentious issues. Yan Wang is also noted and heads the contentious team.
- Represented HP in a series of patent infringement cases against multiple clone cartridges manufacturers and distributors regarding MOSFET technologies at Beijing IP Court and Shanghai IP Courts.
- Advised Sandvik on patent infringement.
- Representing Baidu in four patent infringement cases before the Beijing IP Court.
Hylands Law Firm has a wide range of expertise within intellectual property law and advises clients on both contentious and non-contentious issues. The practice has a particular focus on the television and media industries. Practice heads Yuzi Zhu and Zhengning Li have a strong background in the entertainment industry. Han Zhou is also noted.
CCTV Animation Group Co., Ltd No
International Copyright Exchange Center (DongfangYonghe) No
China Quanjude Group No
China Cultural Tourism and Creativity Co., Ltd
Cambridge Picture Company
Shanghai As One Pictures Co., Ltd
Actress Xu Qing & Beijing HongzongxiongYinian studio
- Provide legal service for the film Sheep Without A Shepherd from the script creation to the production process and the application for the release permit.
JunHe LLP handles both contentious and non-contentious intellectual property matters and advises clients on all aspects of trade marks, including registration, use and enforcement of rights. The practice has a strong focus on patents and advises clients on acquiring, using and maintaining their patent rights. The firm has office locations in Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and Silicon Valley in order to provide expertise in Chinese and US IP law. Zoe Wang heads the practice alongside Jessica Xu; Wang displays expertise in patent prosecution and infringement matters, and Xu is experienced in litigation and trade mark prosecution.
Other key lawyers:
- Acted for Aluminum Corporation of China Limited in a civil lawsuit with Suzhou Intermediate People’s Court for trademark infringement and unfair competition against Henan Hengmei Aluminum Co., Ltd. and Wuxi Xiheng Decoration Materials Co., Ltd.
- Advised Zhong Yuan Component Group Anhui Co., Ltd. in patent litigation.
- Advised PAG Asia Capital (HK) Limited on patent-related issues and patent protection.
Kangxin Partners, p.c. has a strong patents practice with specialists in chemistry, electronics, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, communications and computer technology, and mechanics. Along with the team’s in-depth industry knowledge, clients benefit from the practice’s intellectual property protection strategy involving preliminary, invalidation, and infringement searches. Shirley Dong heads the patent practice, while Samson Yu has a strong background in patent prosecution. Gloria Wu is a key contact in the trade mark team.
- Advised Automobili Lamborghini S.P.A on trade mark invalidation issues.
- Advised Bulgari S.P.A. on trade mark invalidation issues.
- Advised Luxottica Group S.P.A on trade mark application issues.
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons has a broad client offering; the practice is split between three departments which include litigation, patents, and trade marks. It has a strong overall presence in the traditional sectors, such as automobiles and manufacturing, but has increasingly been active in the technology and TMT sectors. The patents team advises on patent application drafting and prosecution, to patent enforcement and licensing. The trade mark team displays effective domestic and international expertise, advising on a range of issues from trade mark portfolio management to copyright protection. The practice is primarily based in Beijing with Zhu Nongfan, Wang Maohua, Yang Xiaoli, Li Xiaoyang running the practice. Cecilia Lou heads the practice in Shanghai.
Beijing XiaoJu Technology Co., Ltd. (DIDI)
Yuyuan BioScience Technology
Sinopec Research Institute of Petroleum Processing
- Successfully represented Baidu Online Network Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd. and Beijing Baidu Netcom Science and Technology Co., Ltd. in a series of patent infringement and litigation cases.
- Advised ABB on patent prosecution.
- Represented ECCO SKO A/S in a trade mark infringement case.
Lawjay Partners is known for its trade mark, copyright and unfair competition litigation practice. The firm is headquartered in Beijing and has a branch office in Guangzhou. Other areas of expertise include trade mark infringement and anti-counterfeiting. The team advise leading household names in the retail industry. Managing partner and 'trusted litigator' James Luo has a strong background in trade mark infringement.
‘They are a very effective litigation group that have secured a number of impressive precedent cases. Amongst those include many involving landlord liability, which is a very important basis for deterring landlords from offering premises for counterfeiters to operate out of.’
‘I wholeheartedly endorse James Luo as a litigator who I entrust with some of my most complex litigations. We are currently working on several cases that should alter the landscape of trademark law for the better.’
- Represented Synlait Milk Ltd. in an unfair competition and false advertising case involving its brand name.
- Advised The Procter & Gamble Company in a trade mark infringement and unfair competition case.
- Advised Skechers USA Inc., II in a trade mark infringement case.
Lifang & Partners offers clients a full-service approach to intellectual property issues, handling matters from prosecution, to unfair competition and administrative enforcement of rights. Key sectors of strength include pharmaceuticals, TMT, chemicals, and energy. Practice heads Sun Xi has a strong background in patent litigation, Zhang Bin specialises in trade mark and copyright litigation, and Xie Guanbin advises on intellectual property disputes, antitrust and competition law. Flora Li and Roy Liu are also noted.
‘Very solid legal skills combined with very practical solution-solving mind set.’
- Advised Samsung in a series of patent infringement disputes with Huawei.
- Advised Sogou in a series of disputes involving multiple software patents against Beijing Baidu Netcom Technology (“Baidu”) at Beijing IP Court.
- Advised China Railway Construction Corporation on trade mark protection issues.
Llinks Law Offices offers clients advice on both contentious and non-contentious issues relating to intellectual property in a broad range of industries including telecoms, software, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals. Key areas of work include patent, trade mark, copyright and domain name issues. Charles Qin heads the contentious offering and Nicholas Lou heads the non-contentious work. Xun Yang, Mark Zhang and Peiming Yang are also noted.
Shanghai Egoo Networks Co., Ltd.
SEC Transportation System Limited Company (SEC-TST)
Wuxi CRRC-hofer Powertrain System Co. Ltd
Shanghai Automobile Industrial Group
Shanghai Rixin BioTech Co. Ltd.
Hella Venture (Shanghai Hella Vehicle Technology Co. Ltd.)
Gain Capital Group LLP
Citic-Prudential Fund Management Co. Ltd.
Carestream Dental LLC
Boke Communication Technology Co. Ltd
- Assisting SEC Transportation System Limited Company (SEC-TST) with reviewing its current licensed rights and R&D process in order to meet “Independent IP Requirement.”
- Providing legal services for Capital Today Partners Limited and Jinzhiben Investment Consulting (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. on intellectual property protection and anti-unfair competition.
- Engaged by Metrasens Limited, an internationally renowned supplier of ferromagnetic detection systems, to provide legal services and advice with respect to a series of intellectual property disputes with a Chinese medical equipment distributor and a rival company.
Tahota Law Firm advises across a range of contentious and non-contentious issues concerning patents, trade marks, copyright, trade secrets and antitrust. The practice has particular expertise in the chemical, engineering, electronics, energy, and biomedicine sectors. Practice head Hong Ni who is based in Chengdu has a broad commercial practice which includes advising a range of well-known corporates on intellectual property protection.
Tian Yuan Law Firm has specialists in contentious work relating to intellectual property law. Areas of expertise include patent invalidation, infringement litigation and trade secrets cases. On the non-contentious side, the team handles areas such as trade mark applications and licensing. Practice head Yan Sun has a strong background in IT and software. Qi Li is also noted and specialises in dispute resolution and litigation.
China Tianchen Engineering Corporation (TCC)
China Telecom Corporation Limited, Jiangsu Branch
Chinese Academic Journal (CD) Electronic Magazine Co., Ltd.
Environment Sustainable System Engineering Technology Co., Ltd.
Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam Roger Kindon Craig
Guangdong Tongfang Science Park Co., Ltd.
Love Fruit (Beijing) Education Technology Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Appotronics Corporation Ltd.
Xiamen Geeboo Library
- Represented the Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam and Roger Kindon Craig in handling the first biomedicine patent case of the Intellectual Property Court of the Supreme People’s Court of China.
- Advised Chinese Academic Journal (CD) Electronic Magazine in the dispute with China Written Works Copyright Society on the second instance and retrial over copyright infringement.
- Advised China Tianchen Engineering Corporation (TCC) in the dispute with Japan Asahi Kasei Corporation over patent right ownership.
Unitalen Attorneys at Law is a boutique intellectual property law firm that handles procurement, licensing and enforcement of intellectual property rights. Notable areas of work include patent, trade mark and copyright applications. Deshan Li is a key point of contact who focuses on patent procurement and patent enforcement. Bradley Yu is also noted and advises on unfair competition, counterfeiting and domain names.
Wanhuida Intellectual Property is split into two legal entities, Wanhuida IP Agency and Wanhuida Law Firm, with office locations spread across all the major including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and more. The practice, which is praised for its 'extremely client oriented' approach, has a broad range of industry knowledge from healthcare and manufacturing, to e-commerce and technology. Trade mark and patent protection and enforcement cases are key areas of work for the team. Founding partner and managing committee chair Gang Bai, who heads the practice, is well known for his mastery of trade mark and copyright protection, having frequently acted on high-profile cases.
‘The service provided by WHS is characterized by being extremely client oriented, with an almost around the clock availability. Their communication style is very good and adapted to Western sensitivities. Their service is very thorough and has proven very supportive in the distance and also when travelling to China. They have become our close and reliable allies in China to the point of working almost like in-house counsels for us.’
- Advised United Family Hospital in a dispute concerning trademark infringement and unfair competition.
- Advised L’Oreal in criminal proceedings concerning counterfeit goods.
- Advised Bayer in administrative action concerning patent infringement.
Watson & Band
Watson & Band handles non-contentious and contentious matters relating to intellectual property, with a particular focus on litigation. The practice regularly handle trade mark proceedings, IP licensing, filing and prosecution matters. The team displays expertise in the entertainment, media and pharmaceutical sectors. Key contacts include George Fu, Shenmin Xu and Jean Yang.
Zhong Lun Law Firm advises across the full spectrum of intellectual property law covering both contentious and non-contentious issues. The team regularly advises on infringement, unfair competition and trade secrets, antitrust cases and more. Helen Cheng and Jihong Chen, who focuses on intellectual property-related contentious work are strongly recommended. Dongxiao Ma, Yonghong Wang , Jimmy Huang, and Cliff Yang also head the practice. The practice is praised for delivering 'top-notch service'.
‘Jimmy Huang and his team stand head and shoulders above other firms in terms of efficiency, responsiveness, sage and business-minded legal advice. They consistently and reliably deliver top notch service.’
‘Jimmy Huang provides personalized service taking into account not just the client and industry, but the individual with whom he is interacting. He is an excellent, intelligent, engaging and extremely likeable lawyer and person. Working with him is a true delight.’
‘The quality of the legal services are really high and they communicate in a clear and concise way. Their level of English is very good. They are available and can be relied upon when services are needed regardless if deadlines are short.’
Galvin Green AB, Sweden
Blue bottle coffee LLC
Nuctech Company Limited
TePe Munhygienprodukter AB
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC)
Beijing Sogou Technology Development Co., Ltd.
Saudi Basic Industries Corporation
KAUTEX TEXTRON GMBH & CO. KG
Organic Waste Systems (OWS)
Segway and Ninebot
ExxonMobil (China) Investment Co., Ltd. (ExxonMobil)
Netgear (Beijing) Net Technology Co., LTD
Dongguan Jingbo Photoelectric Co., LTD
Lens Technology Co., LTD
Shenzhen Xinhao Photoelectric Co., LTD
720 Degrees LLC
M (China) Co., Ltd.
Live Nation Worldwide, Inc./ Insomniac Holdings, LLC
JIM BEAM BRANDS CO./ BEAM SUNTORY UK LIMITED
SUPER BOCK GROUP, SGPS, S.A.
AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
SLOAN VALVE COMPANY
Amazon Connect Technology Services (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
Treasury Wine Estates Limited/Treasury Wine Estates (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.
- Advised Galvin Green AB on obtaining several favourable judgments in trademark invalidation lawsuit.
- Advised Roxtec AB on protecting the colour mark per se.
- Advised Evernote on obtaining favourable judgments in trademark invalidation lawsuit.