Heavyweight market leviathan, Carey, fields a nine-strong team that has broad expertise in the pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and medical devices sectors, including product labelling, clinical trials and advertising, along with issues concerning biological, biotechnological and veterinary products, and agrochemicals. Other key areas include compliance, data protection, patents (and other associated IP matters), litigation and product liability. In addition, the practice is active in relation to infant milk formulas, food supplements, animal food product authorisations, customs clearance proceedings, distribution contracts, and assistance before food industry associations. IP head Guillermo Carey has built the life sciences practice, which also includes experienced partner Ignacio Gillmore, counsel Fernando García and associates José Santos Ossa, Cindy Thorsen, Cristina Busquets and José Ignacio Mercado.
Life sciences in Chile
‘The service we receive is personalised and very consistent with our needs. It covers a wide range of legal issues specific to our industry.‘
‘The Carey life sciences team has deep knowledge of the pharmaceuticals industry and market, from a business point of view. This results in standout ability, compared to many other attorneys and law firms.‘
‘Ignacio Gillmore is rated for his knowledge and industry experience.‘
‘Ignacio Gillmore is the go-to person.‘
Johnson & Johnson
- Successfully defended Nestlé against several summary sanitary proceedings, which related to the presence of exogenous substances in milk products.
- Advised Livanova, a medical device manufacturer of cardiac surgery and neuromodulation devices, on the launch of its operations in Chile.
- Advised Asociación Gremial de Dispositivos Médicos de Chile (ADIMECH), a medical devices industry association, on an ongoing assessment of regulatory, tax, corporate and antitrust matters.
- Advised the Chilean subsidiary of Swiss multinational healthcare company Roche on the development of a defence strategy against a competitor’s attempts to have the Araucanía Sur Health Service revert its decision to grant a tender to Roche.
Jara Del Favero Abogados' seven-strong group has provided multi-disciplinary advice to leading pharmaceuticals, veterinary, cosmetics, food and agro-industrial multinational companies for over 20 years. In addition to its experience in antitrust and intellectual and industrial property, typical work includes product registration and obtaining marketing authorisations before the health authorities. Other notable areas are advertising, labelling, data protection, clinical studies, and life sciences-related M&A, together with contract reviews, pharmaceutical campaigns, public tenders, product launches and litigation. Manuel Jiménez Pfingsthorn and Andrea Abascal Marin, who was made partner in February 2020, are the principal contacts. Manuel Bernet Paez is an associate to note.
Monsanto Chile – Bayer Chile
Zoetis de Chile
Edgewell Personal Care
- Ongoing adisory to animal pharmaceuticals company Zoetis de Chile, including regulatory market issues, distribution of pharmaceutical products and sanitary procedures.
- Ongoing advise to agro-industry company Monsanto Chile regarding a wide range of legal matters, including regulatory issues.
- Assistance to AstraZeneca on a daily basis with regard to regulatory matters, tenders, data privacy, relations with health professionals, clinical trials and sanitary procedures, among others.
Sargent & Krahn
Sargent & Krahn, Cariola Díez Pérez-Cotapos' associated IP firm, fields a five-strong life-sciences team that is experienced in both transactional matters and regulatory litigation, as well as data protection management. It is particularly experienced in advising on bio-equivalency and bio-similarity matters involving chemical and biotech pharmaceutical products, and their intersection with IP rights. The principal advisers are patent department head Juan Pablo Egaña and senior associate Cristián Barros.
Johnson & Johnson
Cámara de Innovación Farmacéutica (CIF)
Universidad Andres Bello
Universidad Católica de Chile
Laboratoires des Produits Ethiques Ethypharm
- Successfully defended Regeneron Pharmaceuticals against a third-party opposition application before the National Institute of Industrial Property.
- Assisted Syngenta and Syngenta Participations with the successful prosecution before the Industrial Property Court of a patent-term adjustment request.
- Advised Janssen Sciences Ireland, part of the Johnson & Johnson group, on its prosecution of a successful appeal before the Industrial Property Court.
The five-strong department at Albagli Zaliasnik is experienced in the pharmaceuticals (human and veterinary), biotechnology, food and beverage, agro-industrial and pesticide sectors. In addition, the practice assists with disputes, regulatory issues, patent infringements, and matters before the Health and Drug Authorities. Ariela Agosin's broad practice includes brand protection and proceedings in the pharmaceuticals and healthcare sectors, particularly in relation to patents; intellectual and industrial property group director Eugenio Gormáz is also active in the practice.
Farmacolgía en Aquacultura Veterinaria (FAV)
- Defended American healthcare company Abbott Laboratories against patent infringement claims brought by Germany’s Bayer Pharmaceuticals.
Alessandri & Compañía Abogados
Alessandri & Compañía Abogados ' department of eight lawyers is highly focused on life sciences projects. Patent department partner Rodrigo Velasco A is head of the practice group; and Santiago Ortúzar, otherwise recommended for portfolio management, has particular knowledge of biotechnology patents, plant varieties and data privacy. Senior associate Francesca Rodríguez's practice is focused on patents, industrial designs, sanitary authorisations and plant varieties.
Bayer Intellectual Property
Nanotec Universidad de Chile
Agrosuper Comercializadora de Alimentos
- Acted for Universidad de Chile in a Chilean patent application for a human antibody for the treatment of tumours.
Baker McKenzie Chile
Baker McKenzie Chile's three-strong team is led by Valentina Venturelli, who has over a decade of experience in the life sciences sector. The practice provides specialised regulatory advice to pharmaceutical, cosmetics, food and animal feed companies, on issues ranging from product registration to design of local clinical trials. It is also experienced in both sanitary authority audits, and subsequent administrative proceedings.
Shire Human Genetics Therapies
Ortho Clinical Diagnostics
A young firm on the Chilean market, Covarrubias & Cía's seven-strong team, which includes managing partner Arturo Covarrubias, is recommended for IP-related life sciences matters. The practice group includes lawyers, biologists, chemists and engineers. Head of patents, non-legal associate and biochemist Matías Valenzuela, is also active in the practice.
‘It compares favourably with other law firms. The work is thorough and responsible, and the lawyers are vigilant and careful in their work.‘
‘I have long worked with Arturo Covarrubias, and more recently with Matías Valenzuela, on matters related to the pharmaceutical industry. What makes them very particular in the Chilean market is their knowledge and experience in legal regulatory matters; but in addition to this, they have extensive technical knowledge, something that is not often found in law offices in LATAM.‘
‘Arturo Covarrubias is a bold, meticulous, responsible and careful lawyer. He strives to provide the best service and do his best to obtain a favourable result.‘
‘Arturo Covarrubias is an all-around IP lawyer, with extensive experience and knowledge in pharmaceutical regulation in Chile, in addition to the complexities of patenting pharmaceutical products. Arturo’s most outstanding feature is his ability to give the best advice from a practical and economic point of view, in addition to his constant availability to attend to even the smallest of matters.‘
‘For his part, Matías Valenzuela is in charge of reviewing all the technical issues associated with the matters that we entrust to the firm. His extensive knowledge of biochemistry makes him a highly trained professional.‘
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Pronova BioPharma Norge
- Acted for Swiss global healthcare company, Novartis, on several patent applications.