Projects and infrastructure in Brazil
Fielding one of the biggest infrastructure and project finance teams in the market, Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados covers the entire spectrum of legal services relating to projects. Mandates range from advising on public-private partnerships (PPPs), project finance and development to government concessions, bidding processes and M&A involving regulated sectors. The team receives instructions from significant domestic and international players operating in a variety of sectors, with particular emphasis in sanitation, oil and gas, transportation and energy. José Virgílio Lopes Enei, who excels in project financing and M&A in regulated sectors, leads the practice. José Ribeiro do Prado Júnior has extensive experience in the energy, roads and mining sectors, while Mauro Bardawil Penteado is often retained to structure complex PPP arrangements. Project and structured finance transactions are areas of expertise for Adriano Schnur. Alberto Faro is another name to note for domestic and cross-border project financing.
Inter-American Development Bank
International Finance Corporation
Corporacion Andina de Fomento – CAF
International Terminal Container Services – ICTSI
Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ)
Mubadala Investment Company
New Development Bank
- Acting for LD Celulose in the development and construction of a greenfield integrated $1.5bn industrial plant in the state of Minas Gerais, which will be the largest dissolving wood pulp plant in the world.
- Assisted International Container Terminal Services (ICTSI) in the acquisition of 100% of the shares of Libra Terminal Rio (currently ICTSI Rio Terminal 1) by ICTSI, as an isolated productive unit in the context of Libra’s judicial recovery process.
- Acted as legal counsel to Farallon and Mubadala in the acquisition (through the investment vehicle SCP 1355 FIP) from Odebrecht Rodovias of an 85% equity stake in Concessionária Rota das Bandeiras.
- Assisted Rumo in all aspects of the privatisation project of a railway located between Porto Nacional, State of Tocantins, and Estrela D’Oeste, State of São Paulo, known as the North-South Railway, by means of a sub-concession agreement.
- Advised Santander on the preparation and negotiation of all the documents necessary for the issuance of infrastructure debentures by Tropicália Transmissora de Energia, in the amount of R$407m.
Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados is equipped to assist clients throughout all phases of a project, and showcases an indisputable position in the market. The practice possesses strength in sophisticated project finance transactions, providing advice to leading Brazilian and international banks and sponsors. Other areas of activity include assisting with PPPs, project development and construction issues, as well as M&A and capital markets transactions pertaining to the infrastructure sector. The department often plays a key role in advancing new regulations and policies in relation to projects in the power, oil and gas, roads, ports, railways and healthcare sectors. M&A transactions and regulatory issues are among Giovani Loss's specialisms. Pablo Sorj focuses on infrastructure transactions, as well as project finance and development, which are also areas of focus for Thiago Fernandes Moreira. The team was recently strengthened by the arrival of André Luiz Freire from Demarest Advogados, who excels in PPPs, public bids and administrative law. In other team developments, Bernardo Môcho and Nilton Mattos were promoted to partner in 2019.
‘Very strong team with full-service practice.’
‘The team has been able to advise very thoroughly in relation to oil and gas regulations in Brazil in the context of an RBL financing for a group of international banks. In providing their advice they were able to make the connection between what lenders would typically require in an RBL financing and what would be achievable from a Brazilian legal standpoint.’
‘We have largely worked with Giovani Loss. He was able to provide very clear descriptions on what was and was not possible from a legal standpoint in Brazil, taking into account the context of ongoing discussions between lenders and borrower.’
‘Thiago Moreira is recommended.’
Total EREN Group
Statkraft Energias Renováveis
CELSE – Centrais Elétricas de Sergipe
Enel Green Power
GNA – Gás Natural Açu
Argo Transmissora de Energia
- Assisted Prumo, PDA, GNA I and Siemens on the financial aspects of the development of two natural gas-fired thermal power plants in the Port of Açu area, located in the city of São João da Barra, state of Rio de Janeiro.
- Advised Pátria Investimentos in the drafting and negotiation of the project agreements related to the implementation of a photovoltaic power generation park with approximately 500MW of installed capacity.
- Acting for IDB Invest in the granting of financing to RMR (a project company controlled by BRK Ambiental) for the development of water treatment and sanitation services infrastructure in Recife’s metropolitan area.
- Assisted a consortium led by Patria Investimentos with its participation in the bidding procedure for the concession of public services of operation and maintenance of the highway system called Piracicaba-Panorama Lot.
- Advised Mitsui in the acquisition of Odebrecht Mobilidade’s stake in Supervia, the urban train concessionaire of the State of Rio de Janeiro.
Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados possesses a strong track record in innovative project financing structures, and is also well equipped to advise on project development, assisting clients with bidding, project structuring, negotiations with suppliers and related tax issues. Adopting a multi-disciplinary approach, the practice is able to cover a wide range of projects, including those concerning airports, railway, roads, ports, as well as renewable energy, oil and gas, mining and sanitation. Leading the practice is Maurício Teixeira dos Santos, who is experienced in all aspects pertaining to infrastructure projects, ranging from financing issues and tender offers to M&A transactions, development and restructuring. Karin Yamauti Hatanaka has in-depth knowledge of structured and project finance in the energy, sanitation and logistics sectors; Rafael Baleroni regularly assists with administrative and regulatory issues.
‘Maurício Teixeira dos Santos is a very seasoned lawyer.’
‘Rafael Baleroni is one of the most technical lawyers I know. It is very good to have him on a deal.‘
‘Karin Yamauti Hatanaka is a very good lawyer in the infrastructure space.‘
BNDES – Brazilian Development Bank
IDB- Inter-American Development Bank
Banco Santander (Brasil)
JP Morgan Stanley and Barclays Bank
- Advising Magni Partners, an affiliate of Borr Drilling, on the acquisition of four drilling rigs in Sete Brasil’s judicial reorganisation.
- Provides advice to BNDES on matters pertaining to two public lighting PPPs, with issues ranging from the definition of the regulatory, tax and contractual framework to the design of the tender.
- Advised the lenders on the $232m financing of the construction and acquisition of an FSRU vessel by BW FSRU III; the FSRU will be integrated in the terminal of Port of Açu and will provide storage and regasification for the LNG-to-power project in the terminal.
- Assisted IDB Invest with the financing of the expansion of Cabo and Videomar’s operation in the cities of Natal and Fortaleza, as well as developing new operations by Cabo and Videomar in the States of São Paulo and Minas Gerais.
The projects and infrastructure practice at Demarest Advogados brings together expertise in M&A, regulation, banking and finance, public law and capital markets to address the needs of clients from a range of industries, including energy, oil and gas, transport, sanitation, mining and healthcare. With significant experience in PPPs, the team has the ability to advise clients from the outset to the completion of a project, covering financing, development and regulatory aspects. The team has recently been active in M&A deals and concessions in relation to the incorporation of joint ventures in the urban mobility area, toll roads, subways, as well as water and waste management sectors. The incorporation of Bruno Aurélio and his team from Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown broadened the department's offering in the areas of infrastructure development and financing projects. Paloma Valéria Lima left for Lefosse Advogados, while André Luiz Freire joined Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados.
‘The infrastructure and regulatory team at Demarest, headed by Bruno Aurélio, is technically able, and has a very business-oriented approach.’
‘Lawyers know which challenges the sector faces, and understand the correct paths to take. The team is always available to answer queries and solve problems on behalf of clients.’
‘Besides the high technical ability, lawyers are very attentive, answering promptly to queries and worrying about understanding the matter. Advice is efficient.’
AENA Desarrollo Internacional SME
Socicam Administração, Projetos e Representações
Arc Comércio Construção e Administração de Serviços
Construtora Queiroz Galvão
Transmissora Aliança de Energia Elétrica – Taesa
- Advised AENA Desarrollo Internacional on the bidding process for the concession of 12 federal airports in the Northeast, Midwest and Southeast regions of Brazil, allocated in three different lots.
- Represented Socicam Administração, Projetos e Representações on the international public bid for the administrative concession (PPP) of public services related to the management, maintenance and commercial operation of bus terminals linked to São Paulo’s urban transport system.
- Representing Consortium Smart Luz on the public bid for the administrative concession (PPP) of public services related to the modernisation, expansion, operation and maintenance of Rio de Janeiro’s public lighting network infrastructure, which includes the modernisation of 100% of the public lighting points.
- Represented Construtora Marquise on two major projects regarding interest procedures aiming to develop a PPP for the provision of services of urban cleaning and solid waste management.
Dias Carneiro Advogados is regularly involved in domestic and cross-border financing and debt restructuring deals, as well as M&A transactions in the context of infrastructure projects. The practice is particularly experienced in providing advice to credit agencies and development banks, but also excels in a range of industries, including renewable energy, sanitation, mining, oil and gas, telecoms and ports. The service offering also covers the negotiation of project contracts and regulatory issues. The department is jointly headed by finance expert Thiago Vallandro Flores and Ricardo Sanches, whose legal background also includes public law. Gustavo Junqueira is noted for his expertise in financing and debt restructuring transactions. The recent hire of Luana Komatsu Falkenburger from Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados boosted the team's offering in relation to financing and corporate deals in the infrastructure sector.
‘Luana Komatsu is a rising star. She is objective, with a solid legal and regulatory knowledge and an outstanding practical and academic background. She is a killer in drafting sessions, thus a unique piece in a law firm.’
Inter-American Development Bank
Inter-American Investment Corporation
China Development Bank Corporation
Vestas Wind Power
Banco KEB Hana
USJ – Açúcar e Álcool
International Finance Corporation
Corporación Interamericana para el Financiamiento de Infraestructura
Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation
- Advised Kinea as a potential initial investor/debenture holder, in the third issuance of debentures of Tropicália Transmissora de Energia, for the long-term financing of Tropicália’s power transmission public services concession project in Bahia.
- Assisted Vestas Wind Power, a Danish group and the world’s largest manufacturer of wind turbine generators, on the negotiation of agreements with EDF France for the supply and installation of wind energy turbines.
- Provided advice to IDB, IDB Invest and Canadian Fund on an up to $110m loan to be granted to Banco Cooperativo Sicredi to increase its lending portfolio in companies and individuals that will promote low carbon projects.
- Assisted IDB Invest, as lender, in a financing to Klabin to expand the existing integrated pulp and paper facility in Ortigueira, Paraná, and the installation of certain waste and water treatment and gasification plants in Brazil.
Drawing on the firm's multi-disciplinary expertise, the infrastructure team at Pinheiro Neto Advogados has the ability to advise on projects in the power, oil and gas, mining, construction and transportation sectors. The practice often advises clients on domestic and international funding transactions, such as financing deals involving public banks, multilateral agencies, local offerings of project debentures and international bond offerings. The firm's broad service offering encompasses public bids, project and construction contracts, tax issues, PPPs, concessions and litigation. Júlio Bueno stands out for his expertise in construction law, engineering contracts and project finance; the latter is also an area of focus for Ricardo Coelho. Ricardo Russo leads advice in relation to project finance through banking and capital markets instruments, and assists clients with project development.
‘Legally sound, but most importantly they adopt a very practical approach and are very attuned to the client’s needs. Quick turnaround and extremely to committed to producing good work.’
‘Thaís Fernandes Chebatt is clear and reliable. She is a go-to in the project team.’
‘Sílvia H. Johonsom di Salvo is very reliable and committed to the client.’
- Advised Banco Itaú BBA, BB-Banco de Investimento, Banco Bradesco BBI, Banco BTG Pactual, Banco Santander and XP Investimentos on the financing granted to Rumo for the funding of railway infrastructure and logistics operations.
- Assisted Banco Itaú BBA, Bradesco BBI and Banco ABC in eight issues of debentures/promissory notes made by Energisa and other companies of the Energisa Group.
- Assisted the consortium formed by AviAlliance and Pátria Investimentos in the fifth round of airport concessions opened by the Brazilian federal government, involving the privatisation of 12 airports.
- Acted as external legal counsel to Usina Jequitibá SPE, the issuer, in its first issuance of debentures with restricted placement efforts to finance the building of its photovoltaic field.
Stocche Forbes Advogados stands out for its track record in project finance, displaying expertise in both loan agreements and securities offerings. The team also assists clients on the structuring and negotiation of engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, supply agreements, as well as administrative law. Miriam Signor advises on financial, corporate and restructuring transactions involving infrastructure assets. Guilherme Forbes is often instructed by large infrastructure groups and national and foreign banks. Project finance is an area of strength for Frederico Moura and Bruno Gandolfo, who are also adept at handling mergers and acquisitions within regulated sectors.
‘A strong team with solid technical skills, practical advice and good client service.’
‘Frederico Moura is very responsive and provides practical advice to complicated problems. He is supported by a solid team of associates and other colleagues.’
‘Guilherme Forbes is a very good lawyer, pragmatic. Miriam Signor is very helpful, business-oriented.‘
‘Frederico Moura has great commercial sense. Bruno Gandolfo Damico is a very good lawyer. Associate Laercio Munechika is also very highly regarded.‘
Éléctricite de France
Banco (Santander) Brasil
CELSE – Centrais Elétricas de Sergipe
- Advised Engie in the acquisition finance for the purchase by Engie and CDPQ of a 90% stake in Transportadora Associada de Gás – TAG, the largest natural gas transportation company in Brazil.
- Advised Banco Santander, as underwriter, in the public offering of debentures issued by Eletrobras to be used for the implementation of the Angra 3 Thermonuclear Energy Plant and the Belo Monte Hydroelectric Power Plant.
- Acted for Citigroup Global Markets as global coordinator and joint bookrunner in connection with the issuance of senior secured notes to refinance the project finance for the construction of a floating production, storage and offloading unit (FPSO) owned by Cernambi Sul MV24 and operated by Modec.
- Assisted Banco Santander (Brasil) in the public offering of debentures issued by Sanesalto Saneamento connected to infrastructure investments in the urban, domestic and industrial sewage treatment system in the city of Salto, State of São Paulo.
Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown excels in cross-border projects, combining cross-practice expertise to assist clients throughout the entire life-cycle of infrastructure projects, from the initial contract preparation through to financing, construction, operation and dispute resolution. The team has a proven track record in project finance, covering capital markets deals and debt restructuring transactions, as well as in the development of projects through public concessions and PPP models in the fields of infrastructure (road, rail and ports), power plants, renewable energy and oil and gas. Typical mandates also involve regulatory and public law issues. The team is jointly led by Eduardo Lima and Alexandre Chequer. Luis Montes is active in project financing transactions and construction law. The practice was recently strengthened by the arrival of Bruno Werneck and Mario Saadi from Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados, who both have thorough knowledge of concessions, PPPs and infrastructure projects. Bruno Aurélio departed for Demarest Advogados.
‘Well-known partners and associates, with a robust knowledge of the law and transactions.’
‘One of the few law firms capable of delivering transactions involving NY and Brazilian laws.’
‘Luis Montes is a star and a unique and outstanding attorney, with a solid practical and scholar knowledge of the law.’
‘Eduardo Lima and Luis Montes are recommended.’
‘Individuals are interested and proactive.’
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Bank Of China
Banco Btg Pactual
Banco Credit Agricole
Ing Wholesale Banking
Banco Abc Brasil
Aegea Saneamento E Participações
Empresa Brasileira De Infraestrutura Aeroportuária – Infraero
Banco Btg Pactual
Engie Brasil Energia
Aegea Saneamento E Participações
Empresa Brasileira De Infraestrutura Aeroportuária – Infraero
- Acts as Brazilian, PRC and English counsel for a syndicate of banks which are providing financing for the expansion of a cellulose plant located in Lençóis Paulista, SP, owned by a subsidiary of Bracell Intl.
- Advised Karoon Petróleo e Gás in connection with a reserve-based lending transaction entered with ING Bank for the purposes of acquiring and developing certain oil concessions and and other related assets from Petrobras.
- Advising Banco Santander (Brasil) in subscription line financings for Patria Infrastructure Fund, which will be used for investments in infrastructure projects.
- Advised the banks in the context of the renegotiation of the existing debts of Queiroz Galvão, arising from debts originally contracted by Concessionária Move São Paulo, the concessionaire of the Line 6 – SP Subway.
Veirano Advogados advises clients on all phases of project development, with a special emphasis on financing and construction issues. The practice is well-versed in international and Brazilian projects involving a variety of industries, such as energy, ports, roads, logistics and oil and gas. Its client portfolio features a number of construction and power sector players, as well as companies operating in the pulp and paper industry. The team is coordinated by four partners: Ana Carolina Barretto is particularly active in power projects; Pedro Freitas and Ricardo Veirano stand out in project finance matters; and Robson Barreto excels in projects pertaining to the telecoms sector. Daniel Engel, who has significant expertise in M&A transactions involving energy and infrastructure assets, and João Paulo Servera, whose focus is on cross-border matters, recently joined the firm from Cascione Pulino Boulos Advogados.
‘Veirano Advogados is a large law firm that provides high quality services to its clients, mainly due to its experienced and multidisciplinary team.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable of market practices, allowing the deal to advance smoothly.
‘Deep expertise in the energy, oil and gas, and infrastructure sectors which is key in the projects practice and enables them to advise in the project development phase as well as on project finance.’
‘Ana Carolina Barretto is the key partner and she is extremely engaged in the deals. Her ability to pay attention to details while at the same time focus on getting the deal done is outstanding.’
Concessionária Move São Paulo
Acquamarina Santo André Empreendimentos Imobiliários Ltda. (Hirmer Group)
ENGIE Brasil Participações
Concessionária do Aeroporto Internacional de Guarulhos
Westrock, Celulose, Papel e Embalagens
CNPC International (CNPC)
Fraport Brasil Aeroporto de Porto Alegre
- Supported Shell throughout phases 1 and 2 in relation to Marlim Azul Project, a greenfield 565.5MW gas-fired thermal power plant located in Macaé.
- Advising ECB Group on the structuring and development of the Omega Green project, a $800m plant that will produce renewable diesel and synthetic paraffinic kerosene.
- Acting as legal counsel to Move SP, the concession holder of São Paulo subway line 6, advising on the financing structure for the project, and in connection with environmental and insurance matters related to the concession.
- Counsel to Acquamarina in the preparation and submission of legal feasibility studies for the construction and operation of a new airport in the state of Bahia, within an unsolicited proposal (Manifestação de Interesse Privado).
Azevedo Sette Advogados is adept at assisting clients with administrative issues, PPPs and project finance. Drawing on its strong profile in public law, the practice is also proficient in bid procedures, concessions and contractual matters. Frederico Bopp Dieterich is recommended; Leonardo Moreira Costa de Souza and Rafael Adler are also noted for infrastructure matters.
Pinheiro Guimarães – Advogados advises clients from the initial structuring of a project, including the drafting and negotiation of agreements with sponsors, to tax planning, regulatory analysis, environmental licensing, construction and operation. The practice excels in the development and implementation of renewable energy projects, and also has experience in a range of infrastructure sectors, including telecoms, road, railways, ports, airports and oil and gas. Leading the practice is André Sigelmann, who often advises companies in the pulp and paper, oil and gas and power sectors, and Roberta Pimentel, who is noted for project finance.
EDP Energias do Brasil
Aeris Indústria e Comércio de Equipamentos para Geração de Energia
- Advised Eneva on the development and implementation of an integrated project comprising a processing and liquefaction plant for the gas produced in the Azulão Field, and a natural gas-fired power plant and LNG plant, tanking and regasification facility.
- Acted for Neoenergia in connection with its participation in the supply of wind turbines and the provision of operation and maintenance services for 12 wind farms within the Oitis Wind Complex, with a total installed capacity of 566MW.
- Acted as counsel to Total Eren in connection with the development and implementation of four wind farms within the Terra Santa and Maral complexes in the state of Rio Grande do Norte.
Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados assists domestic and international clients with the development of projects in the oil and gas, energy and infrastructure sectors. The practice is also experienced in handling water and sanitation projects, as well as airport and transport-related matters. Typical mandates range from financing issues to acquisition of infrastructure assets, construction matters and bidding processes. Paulo Valois Pires is noted for LNG projects, while Guilherme Schmidt's areas of focus include corporate and infrastructure transactions. Project finance is one of Rogério Sobral de Miranda's area of expertise; Luis Fernando Pacheco is adept at advising clients on public bid processes.
‘Listen to instructions carefully, communicate effectively, business orientation.’
‘Rogério Miranda is very attentive, organised and results driven.’
Ouro Preto Óleo e Gás
Gas Natural AÇU – GNA
Rio Motor Sports
- Assisted Enerflex Energia, a subsidiary of Enerflex, in the development of a gas processing project in the State of Rio de Janeiro.
- Provided legal advice to Crown Consultoria and Rio Motorsports on the contractual modelling of the PPP project for the construction of a race track in Rio de Janeiro.
- Provided regulatory, corporate and contractual assistance to BP Global Investments in the construction and operation of a 1,238MW thermal plant of the Açu Gas Hub project in the Port of Açu, State of Rio de Janeiro.
TozziniFreire Advogados attracts instructions from multilateral agencies, sponsors and local and foreign investors in relation to public bids, projects and M&A transactions involving the energy, water, waste, mobility and logistics sectors. Regulatory issues affecting PPPs, concessions and public procurement also populate the department's portfolio. Pedro Seraphim, whose experience includes transactional matters involving the Brazilian energy sector, leads the practice alongside Claudia Elena Bonelli, who specialises in public sector issues and government contracts.
‘They are highly competent in all the areas that they have acted on: M&A, energy, compliance, labour, litigation, tax, etc.’
‘Their strengths are professionalism, legal technical expertise, aggressive negotiating, promptness in clarifying doubts, and capability to manage difficult situations. In comparison to other firms, TozziniFreire offers an extremely high level of professionalism.’
‘Pedro Seraphim is recommended.’
Advent do Brasil Consultoria e Participações
IFC – International Finance Corporation
Philips do Brasil
Mckinsey & Company
Statkraft Energias Renováveis
China Three Gorges
- Provided assistance to Uberluz Energética and Caraguá Luz in several matters to develop a project of a Smart City using public lighting resources.
- Advised Advent do Brasil in the acquisition of 100% of the shares of a special purpose vehicle which owned and operated a coal-fueled thermal plant in Brazil.
- Assistance to Norte Energia in claims and negotiations related to the contract for the construction of the civil works of Belo Monte Hydroelectric Power Plant executed with Consórcio Construtor de Belo Monte.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe handles a broad range of projects and infrastructure matters, including those pertaining to renewable energy and biofuels, port terminals and sports arenas. The team has been actively advising companies in relation to privatisation and concession issues in Brazil, and has recently strengthened relationships with Chinese players looking to invest in these sectors. Practice head José Roberto Martins is experienced in greenfield development projects and PPPs. Anna Tavares de Mello assists with M&A and corporate structuring in the infrastructure field.
Casa dos Ventos
SPIC Brasil Participações
Brasil Terminal Portuário
- Provided full legal assistance to Canadian Solar in the purchase of a solar photovoltaic generation plant.
- Assisted a client in its investment into an energy company, backing the latter’s quest for acquisitions and growth in the Brazilian oil and gas offshore market.
- Assisted Vopak Brasil in its participation in a public tender procedure for a liquid terminal in Santos Port.
Arap, Nishi & Uyeda Advogados
Arap, Nishi & Uyeda Advogados handles a wide range of matters in the projects and infrastructure space; mandates range from advising clients on bid procedures, concessions and PPPs to contractual issues and administrative proceedings. Practitioners to note include Sami Sobrinho Arap and Massami Uyeda Junior.
BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão's projects team covers the energy, airports, toll roads, ports, railways, urban transport, water and sewage sectors, and also has experience in public lighting and social infrastructure PPPs. The practice is able to advise on all phases of projects and transactions in regulated markets, encompassing project financing, tax planning and contractual issues. The department is led by founding partner Plínio Simões Barbosa, capital markets and finance expert Camila Goldberg and Rafael d’Avila Dutra, who is a name to note for project finance. Eduardo Hayden Carvalhaes departed for Lefosse Advogados, while Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho joined from TozziniFreire Advogados, strengthening the team's offering in regulatory matters in the infrastructure sector.
IGT – Global Solutions Corporation
Grupo Queiroz Galvão
Olympique Lyonnais Groupe
Antel – Administración Nacional de Telecomunicaciones
- Advised Zurich Airport Latin America in its winning bid for one of the blocks in the fifth privatisation round of Brazilian airports.
- Assisted Seaborn Networks in expanding its operations in Brazil by establishing a partnership with local investors to create a 500km branch for its Seabras-1 cable to Recife.
Cascione Pulino Boulos Advogados
In the infrastructure space, Cascione Pulino Boulos Advogados offers legal support to Brazilian and international companies, including financial investors, service providers, equipment suppliers and financial institutions. With particular strength in greenfield projects, the team is well equipped to assist with project modelling, finance and M&A involving infrastructure assets. The team witnessed a recent change in leadership, with former partner head Daniel Engel joining Veirano Advogados, and senior partner Eduardo Juaçaba and recently hired Carolina Caiado now co-ordinating the department. Project finance and M&A are some of Juaçaba's areas of focus, while Caiado is noted for her knowledge of administrative law, infrastructure and public sector issues.
‘I would like to highlight the team’s ability and pragmatic approach especially in what comes to complex topics. Lawyers have always been able to come up with solutions that were not only creative, but also reliable and feasible to be implemented. It distinguishes itself from other firms for its business perspective.’
‘Dedicated team which provides efficient advice and solutions, as well as prompt answers. Great quality of services delivered by a team of diligent lawyers, who assist clients in complex matters with tight deadlines.’
Goldwind International Holdings (HK) Limited
Global Power Generation
SANESUL – Empresa de Saneamento Básico de Mato Grosso do Sul
- Assistance to IG4 Capital, one of the main players in the special situations/distressed investment management business, in the acquisition of Novo Metropolitano, a company holding a PPP concession of the metropolitan hospital of Belo Horizonte.
- Assisted Guimarania I Solar SPE and Guimarania II Solar SPE, two solar power generation plants, and their controlling shareholder Global Power Generation, in the negotiation and execution of a financing agreement with BNDES.
Lefosse Advogados recently bolstered its projects and infrastructure practice with the addition of Paloma Valéria Lima and Eduardo Carvalhaes, who joined from Demarest Advogados and BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão, respectively. Lima, who brings expertise in regulatory and contractual issues pertaining to infrastructure projects, and Carvalhaes, whose areas of focus include public law, are now jointly overseeing the department. Advising clients across all stages of their infrastructure projects, the team is adept at handling both project finance and development matters, demonstrating particular strength in greenfield projects. M&A in regulated sectors, including ports, urban transport and energy, as well litigation before regulatory agencies, are also mainstays of the practice.
‘Paloma Lima is one of the best lawyers in Brazil for infrastructure project finance. She can think creatively of solutions.‘
Petroleo Brasileiro – PETROBRAS
Agencias Universales – AGUNSA
Centrais Elétricas do Norte do Brasil – ELETRONORTE
EDP GRID Gestão de Redes Inteligentes de Distribuição
Tropicália Transmissora de Energia (BTG Pactual)
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners – CIP
Interamerican Development Bank – IDB Invest
International Finance Corporation – IFC
Swiss Export Risk Insurance – SERV
- Advised Petrobras in the negotiation of a potential strategic alliance with CNPC for the purpose of forming a joint venture to conclude the construction of COMPERJ refinery.
- Assisted AGUNSA in the structuring and negotiation of a consortium with Construcap CCPS Engenharia e Comércio, aiming at the joint participation in an auction for the concession for the expansion, maintenance and exploitation of certain state-owned airports.
Lobo de Rizzo Advogados acts for domestic and foreign banks, multilateral development banks and sponsors on project finance deals, fielding expertise in project bonds issuances. The team is also adept at assisting with the development and implementation of infrastructure projects, advising owners and contractors on construction and supply agreements, as well as cross-border transactions. Project finance is an area of activity for Fabrizio de Oliveira Sasdelli and Milton Pinatti, while Rodnei Iazzetta has extensive experience in concession bid procedures and PPPs. Gustavo Cunha was promoted to partner in 2020.
‘Very committed and available to deliver any task. Fabrizio Sasdelli and Gustavo Silveira Cunha are recommended for their professionalism and commitment to clients.’
‘They have a smaller team when compared to the large firms, which ensures partners intense participation and high quality associates.’
‘Fabrizio Sasdelli is a very dedicated partner who handles well the negotiations and is attentive to market practice. Gustavo Cunha is a top notch associate, who leads the deals.’
‘Gustavo Cunha is an incredible attorney and I hope that he becomes a partner soon. He is always willing to help and reverts always with priority.’
Banco Bradesco BBI
Banco do Brasil
Banco Itaú BBA
Banco BTG Pactual
Banco Sumitomo Mitsui Brasileiro
Marlim Azul Energia
Atlantic Energias Renováveis
BRK Ambiental Participações
- Provided assistance to the financial agents in the financing to Aliança Transportadora de Gás for the acquisition of shares representing 90% of Transportadora Associada de Gás.
- Advised Concessionária do Aeroporto de Salvador on the development of an innovative project of construction of a photovoltaic energy plant at the airport for self-consumption of the generated energy.
Manesco, Ramires, Perez, Azevedo Marques Sociedade de Advogados provides assistance in relation to the entire life-cycle of a project, demonstrating particular strength in advising on innovative models of interaction between governmental entities and private stakeholders. Concession projects and PPPs are among the team's key strengths. Practice head Floriano de Azevedo Marques Neto has more than three decades of experience in the projects and infrastructure field.
‘Floriano Azevedo always demonstrated technical and practical knowledge.’
SEDUR – Secretaria de Desenvolvimento Urbano do Governo do Estado da Bahia/ CTB Companhia de Transporte da Bahia
Consórcio. Grupos CCCC e CRCC (CR20)
SPGG-RS. Secretaria de Planejamento, Governança e Gestão do Rio Grande do Sul
IFC/Prefeitura do Rio de Janeiro
World Bank / Convênio com a AMFRI – Associação dos Municípios da Foz do Rio Itajaí
RioMais – PPP Parque Olímpico
- Assisted CR20 (part of CRCC, China Railway Construction Corporation) and the consortium which was the winning bidder for the construction of the Salvador-Itaparica bridge.
- Advised SEDUR and CTB Companhia de Transporte da Bahia on a monorail project in Salvador, State of Bahia.
Siqueira Castro – Advogados
Siqueira Castro – Advogados fields a multi-disciplinary team, which combines expertise in regulatory issues, corporate and M&A as well as environmental law to assist clients with every step of project implementation. Its experience encompasses projects in the oil and gas, airports, telecoms and transportation sectors. Carlos Roberto Siqueira Castro is experienced in public tenders, PPPs and government contracts. Administrative law and regulatory matters are key strengths for Renata de Abreu Martins, while recently promoted Thiago de Oliveira has advised on the structuring of infrastructure projects.
Fraport AG Frankfurt Airport Services Worldwide
Fraport Brasil Aeroporto de Fortaleza
Fraport Brasil Aeroporto de Porto Alegre
Associação Nacional Das Empresas Administradoras de Aeroportos – ANEEA
CEG – Companhia Distribuidora de Gás Do Rio de Janeiro and CEG Rio
Construtora Camargo Corrêa
Aena Desarrollo Internacional SME
Aeroportos do Nordeste do Brasil
- Retained by Fraport Brasil – Aeroporto de Fortaleza, a wholly owned subsidiary of Fraport, a major player in the airport concessions space, to assist in all legal documents derived from the last airports bidding round.
- Advises Construtora Passarelli on several of its administrative contracts entered into with the public administration of different states concerning infrastructure projects.
Exclusively devoted to the construction and infrastructure sectors, Toledo Marchetti Advogados assists clients with project finance, construction contracts, regulatory advice and alternative dispute resolution. The team also brings experience in corporate issues and M&A involving infrastructure assets, as well as administrative proceedings, tax law and compliance matters. Leonardo Toledo da Silva is not only noted for his proficiency in relation to complex engineering and construction contracts, but also for his experience in handling arbitration procedures. Project development is a notable area of focus for Marcelo Vicentini Marchetti.
‘This team knows the market inside out, and can provide clients with innovative solutions for many aspects relating to the EPC contracts.’
‘The key strength of this firm is that the partners have extensive experience in infrastructure, they really do know the market. Marcelo Marchetti’s capabilities and technical knowledge are outstanding.’
‘Extensive knowledge of the subject and agile and efficient service.’
‘They are extremely accessible, even during non-business hours. Extensive knowledge of the subject and also of the needs of our enterprise.’
Toyo Setal Empreendimentos
Construtora Queiroz Galvão
Estaleiros do Brasil (EBR)
Tiisa Infraestrutura e Investimentos
SANPAC TECNOLOGIA AMBIENTAL
GPA GESTORES PRISIONAIS ASSOCIADOS
ODEBRECHT ENGENHARIA E CONSTRUÇÃO OEC
TUP PORTO SÃO LUIS
CONSTRUÇÕES E COMÉRCIO CAMARGO CORRÊA
VIABAHIA CONCESSIONÁRIA DE RODOVIAS
CONSTRUTORA ANDRADE GUTIERREZ
HTB Engenharia e Construção
Darby Overseas International
- Hired by SANPAC to advise it on the legal studies necessary to structure a new model for providing the public basic sanitation service in Sergipe (75 municipalities).
- AssistingTUP Porto São Luis with the implementation of a project in Porto São Luis, Maranhão, including the drafting of the pre-construction services contract, the main EPC contract and the subcontracts.
Barros Pimentel, Alcântara Gil, Rodriguez e Vargas Advogados
Barros Pimentel, Alcântara Gil, Rodriguez e Vargas Advogados is skilled at drafting and negotiating complex contracts pertaining to project development and implementation. The team is also proficient in financing matters, advising on sectors ranging from energy, oil and gas, transportation, water and waste management to mining and telecoms. Caio Farah Rodriguez is a name to note.
The projects team at Dal Pozzo Advogados stands out for its longstanding experience in litigation, regulatory and contentious administrative matters involving a range of industry sectors, including roads, urban mobility, construction, airports and sanitation, as well as energy, education and healthcare. The team is skilled at representing both public and private entities on issues arising from PPP bids and throughout the development of a given project. Augusto Neves Dal Pozzo and Antonio Araldo Ferraz Dal Pozzo jointly head the department; both focus on administrative law, which is also an area of expertise for João Negrini Neto.
‘They have genuine interest in new ideas and exploring how new ideas can apply in practice and influence policy.’
‘The Dal Pozzo team is really strong and powerful.’
‘They have deep knowledge of the infrastructure sector, and they understand the complex scenario of the legal system in Brazil. They are an authority on the infrastructure field, who are able to advise private and public sector clients.’
‘Augusto Dal Pozzo, Beatriz Dal Pozzo and João Negrini is recommended.’
Consórcio CPM Novo Fortaleza
Viarondon Concessionária de Rodovia
Consórcio CR-Almeida Consbem
CART – Concessionária Auto Raposo Tavares
Concessionária Rota das Bandeiras
Consórcio Bacias, Paraíba e Cantareira
BR Modalidade Baixada Santista
Consórcio Barragem Braço Norte
HFTS Heleno & Fonseca Trail Infraestrutura e Spvias
- Acted for Consórcio CPM Novo Fortaleza in judicial proceedings regarding the termination of a contract for the construction of an airport in Fortaleza for the 2014 World Cup.
Felsberg Advogados possesses a proven track record in handling development and implementation projects in the fields of energy (power plants and transmission lines), sanitation, roads, airports and port terminals, among other sectors. Project finance and PPPs are particular areas of focus. Practice leader Graça Pedretti specialises in corporate finance and infrastructure matters, while co-head Rodrigo Bertoccelli is regularly retained to advise on public bids, concession contracts, M&A and administrative law issues.
GS Inima Brasil
Concremat (grupo CCCC)
Teixeira Duarte Engenharia e Construções
- Advising Acciona Infraestrutura on issues related to the feasibility of sanitation projects and regulatory issues, including the desalination project in the metropolitan region of Fortaleza.
Justen, Pereira, Oliveira & Talamini Advogados is noted for acting for a portfolio of clients which operate port terminals in Brazil and other countries. Apart from port infrastructure, the department is also proficient in handling projects pertaining to highways and toll-road concessionaires, as well as water and sewage. The team is well equipped to advise on government contracts, private projects and related disputes. Practice head Cesar Pereira also leads the arbitration department, while co-leader Rafael Wallbach Schwind is not only active in infrastructure projects, but also in anti-corruption issues.
‘Team composed of great lawyers with in-depth knowledge of the sector, real involvement in matters and outstanding availability.’
‘Prompt responses and high quality advice.’
‘Great professionals who are knowledgeable and available.’
‘Dedicated team which focuses on achieving successful results for clients.’
ABRATEC – Associação Brasileira dos Terminais de Contêineres de Uso Público
Alunorte – Alumina do Norte do Brasil
APM Terminals Itajaí
Bahia Mineração – BAMIN
BRK Ambiental Participações
Brookfield Energia Renovável
CHESF – Companhia Hidro Elétrica de São Francisco
Companhia de Desenvolvimento do Complexo Industrial e Portuário do Pecém – CIPP
Concessionária Aeroporto Rio de Janeiro
Concessionária das Rodovias Ayrton Senna e Carvalho Pinto – ECOPISTAS
Concessionária Ecovia Caminho do Mar
Concessionária Ecovias dos Imigrantes
CR ALMEIDA – ENGENHARIA DE OBRAS
ECO135 Concessionária de Rodovias
ECO101 Concessionária de Rodovias
Ecorodovias Infraestrutura e Logística
Eldorado Brasil Celulose
ELETROPAULO METROPOLITANA ELETRICIDADE DE SÃO PAULO
Empresa Concessionárias de Rodovias do Sul – ECOSUL
Log-in Logística Intermodal
Rodovia das Cataratas – ECOCATARATAS
TCP -Terminal de Conteineres de Paranaguá
Xingu Rio Transmissora de Energia
- Represents Terminal de Contêineres de Paranaguá – TCP in several disputes at the Federal Court of Audit, the Federal Public Ministry (Prosecutor’s Office) and Federal Courts commenced by an alleged whistleblower.
L.O. Baptista Advogados
L.O. Baptista Advogados is retained by clients seeking advice on public and private bids, administrative proceedings, concessions and contractual issues, covering project finance and development. Assisting with the structuring of PPPs and dispute resolution are other areas of activity for the department, which counts Fernando Marcondes and Alberto Sogayar among its key members.
Rolim, Viotti & Leite Campos Advogados
In projects and infrastructure, Rolim, Viotti & Leite Campos Advogados provides a mix of consultancy and litigation support to its clients, which operate in a range of industries, particularly energy, mining, metal and steel. The team combines cross-practice expertise in corporate law, M&A in regulated sectors, tax and contracts. The group is jointly led by tax expert Cristiano Augusto Ganz Viotti and Luis Gustavo Miranda, whose experience encompasses infrastructure projects, foreign investments and contracts.
‘Rolim, Viotti & Leite Campos Advogados’ expertise in contractual matters among other legal related issues has been an invaluable asset to our company.’
‘Paulo Fernandes and Luis Gustavo provide outstanding legal support.’
Vallourec do Brasil
Brazilian Nickel Limited
Spal Indústria Brasileira de Bebidas
Fiat Chrysler Automóveis Brasil
Kinross Gold Corporation
Mosaic Fertilizantes do Brasil
MF Projetos em Energia
Macaúbas Energias Renováveis
- Providing legal assistance to Vallourec do Brasil since the beginning of the construction of the Vallourec Sumitomo Steel Complex at Jeceaba, in the State of Minas Gerais.
Vieira, Rezende, Barbosa e Guerreiro Advogados
Vieira, Rezende, Barbosa e Guerreiro Advogados assists with the structuring of large-scale infrastructure projects, and also guides clients in the management of regulatory issues and administrative proceedings. The team is proficient in advising on the negotiation of a variety of contracts, and in the bidding phase of PPPs and concessions. With particular strength in the ports and logistics sectors, the team is led by Cláudio Guerreiro, whose expertise covers mining development projects; Claudio Roberto Pieruccetti Marques, who has longstanding experience in administrative law and dispute resolution; and Marina Ferraz Aidar and Celso Arbaji Contin, who are practitioners to note for project finance.
EDP Renováveis Brasil
Serveng Energias Renováveis
CER – Companhia de Energias Renováveis
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Banco Sumitomo Mitsui Brasileiro
Macquarie Bank Limited
Banco BNP Paribas Brasil
Banco BTG Pactual
- Provided legal advice to a subsidiary of EDP Renováveis on structuring and negotiating long-term financing, granted by BNDES, for the construction, implementation, operation and maintenance of six wind farms and an associated power substation.