Intellectual property in Brazil
Dannemann Siemsen Advogados
The highly specialised team at Dannemann Siemsen Advogados covers patent filings, trade mark prosecution, copyright and industrial design protection, trade secrets and software registration, among other areas. The firm is well equipped to represent clients in contentious matters before all Brazilian courts and public agencies, demonstrating particular strength in patent infringement lawsuits. It has a proven track record in advising key players from the pharmaceutical sector in relation to patent litigation and transfer technology contracts, and also advises clients operating in the oil and gas, agribusiness and automotive industries. Industrial property expert Luiz Amaral is experienced in franchising and licensing matters, while global companies often seek Gustavo de Freitas Morais's advice on a range of IP matters. Raul Hey stands out for his background in tech-related issues. Trade marks, domain names and software are some of Peter Siemsen's notable areas of focus. Joaquim Eugenio Goulart oversees the litigation team, while Attilio Gorini is a name to note for copyright and entertainment matters. Cândida Ribeiro Caffé receives strong praise.
‘Among the top three, if not the best law firm in Brazil at IP practice. Very reputable both domestically and abroad.’
‘DNS has a well-qualified team with great know-how on franchisee and trademark mark issues. The pro-client and business acumen is also a differential.’
‘The team has a long experience on Intellectual property subject. They are really specialists on the subjects and helps the company with ideas and it’s knowledge.’
‘Very good synergy with our company, well prepared to understand our needs.’
‘Very well skilled and attentive people, specially Rafael Dias de Lima and Mariana Reis Abenza.’
‘The work of partners Cândida Ribeiro Caffé, Rafael Atab and Markus Wolff are always valuable.’
‘Cândida Ribeiro Caffé is our partner focal point. She is very clever, polite and a short response time. Her team is also very efficient.’
‘Cândida Ribeiro Caffé is the partner in charge of our business. Cândida is an amazing professional with an outstanding knowledge of IP and Franchisee matters. She is also very responsive and a true partner in spite of the project.‘
Ishihara Sangyo Kaisha
BMW AG and BMW do Brasil
Bayer Intellectual Property
Societé des Produits Nestlé
Greenbrier Maxion – Equipamentos e Serviços Ferroviários
Stena Services Brazil
Stena Drillmax I (Hungary) KFT
Procter & Gamble
HPE do Brasil Automotores
- Successfully defended Bayer Healthcare in a patent cancellation action filed before the Federal Court of Rio de Janeiro.
- Represented Petrobrás Transporte – TRANSPETRO in a patent cancellation action.
- Defending the validity of a patent by ISHIHARA SANGYO KAISHA LTD in a cancellation action filed by NORTOX at the federal court.
- Assisted BMW AG and BMW DO BRASIL LTDA in an infringement action concerning an industrial design.
- Advised CrossFit in the planning and implementation of a strategy that resulted in the reversal of the rejection of the client’s mark in class 41, covering its core business.
Gusmão & Labrunie
Tailoring services to domestic and international clients from a broad range of sectors, Gusmão & Labrunie handles the full array of IP work. Its expertise encompasses patents, domain names, designs, copyright and trade marks, as well as unfair competition, trade secrets, advertising, media and entertainment. The team excels in the prosecution of IP rights, but is equally experienced in handling disputes, either through litigation or arbitral proceedings, across the oil and gas, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and IT fields, among others. José Roberto d’Affonseca Gusmão has a strong track record in IP litigation and cross-border arbitration. Joao Cunha leads the IP litigation practice, while the patent team, which has recently witnessed an increase in work, is under the leadership of Jacques Labrunie. Recently promoted partner Vanessa Ribeiro is noted for technology-related matters. The practice was further strengthened by the arrival of Marcos Blasi, who previously headed the innovation, IP and contracts department at B3 (Brasil Bolsa Balcão, the São Paulo stock exchange).
‘Gusmão & Labrunie is a highly qualified law firm on intellectual property. Their professionals have deep knowledge on legal landscape, as well as are solution oriented and pragmatic in their advices. Thus, they seek to comply with clients needs and respond faster in comparison to other law firms.‘
‘I would highlight João Vieira da Cunha, senior partner, a highly qualified lawyer, who has deep understanding of clients cases and needs. Thus, he has been very successful in IP litigation cases, as well as in settling positive agreements.‘
- Representing ArcelorMittal in a patent dispute against competitor Usiminas, concerning the process for the manufacturing and stamping of coated steel sheets.
- Acts for Xiaomi in trade mark disputes in Brazil, having recently obtained a favourable preliminary injunction against another company.
- Represents Unilever in a trade dress infringement dispute started by Coca-Cola, regarding the change by Unilever of Lipton’s trade dress.
- Assists The Fédération Internationale des Associations de Footballeurs Professionnels (FIFPRO) in image rights disputes in Brazil, including a case in which more than 200 Brazilian professional football players initiated lawsuits against video game producers.
- Acted for Mãe Terra in a copyright infringement lawsuit filed by a well-known artist.
Fielding particular strength in IP litigation, Kasznar Leonardos Intellectual Property stands out for its solid credentials in handling all types of related disputes. The team's caseload not only includes infringement and non-infringement lawsuits, but also encompasses cancellation actions, domain name disputes, trade secret cases as well as unfair competition and anti-piracy matters. Practice co-head Gabriel Francisco Leonardos is experienced in both litigation and the prosecution of IP rights, while trade secrets expert and co-leader Elisabeth Kasznar Fekete is adept at advising on anti-counterfeiting programmes. Rafael Lacaz Amaral oversees the anti-piracy and compliance team, and Anderson Ribeiro leads on transactional and regulatory matters pertaining to the life sciences industry. Licensing agreements are among Claudio Roberto Barbosa's notable areas of practice.
‘Creative, business-partners and effective response both in timing and results.’
‘Rafael Lacaz Amaral is a diligent and hard working partner. He is a top-notch lawyer who is skilled in high-profile IP litigation matters. Rafael understands clients’ needs and provides appropriate and tailor-made solutions.’
Hard on the heels of its tier one competitors, specialist IP firm Bhering Advogados is well versed in patents, trade marks, industrial designs, copyright, licensing matters, unfair competition and IT law. The broad service offering covers both IP prosecution and portfolio management, as well as litigation and enforcement against piracy and counterfeit products. Its client base includes a number of multinational corporations, particularly those based in the US, Europe and Asia; the firm also maintains a German desk, offering advice to German clients in their native language. Founding partner Pedro Bhering leads the licensing and technology transfer department. He also co-heads the trade mark practice alongside Philippe Bhering, who oversees the litigation and enforcement teams. The arrival of pharmacist and attorney Alice Rayol from Licks Attorneys further strengthened the life sciences area; she is now heading the patents group.
‘Bhering Advogados has a strong team capable of handling matters in many languages. Its service is excellent, as is its advice.’
‘Responsive, practical and clear. Philippe Bhering and his team are my go-to firm in Brazil.’
‘A good commercial IP team.’
‘Philippe stands out for his professionalism and efficiency.’
‘Deep knowledge of relevant IP laws in Brazil. Commercial approach to finding solutions.’
‘Philippe Bhering: Very responsive, approachable and commercially sound. He’s got a great knowledge of the industry, and his experience / qualification in Germany also gives him an excellent understanding of the issues from an European perspective.’
‘Excellent team, very proactive. Always provide good and out of the box solutions. Great response to urgent matters.’
‘Philippe Bhering is a great attorney, very sharp and reliable.’
Warner Bros. Entertainment
MAN Truck & Bus
Samsung Electronics Co
Hyundai Motor Company
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide
Kia Motors Corporation
Marriot Worldwide Corporation
- Represented Everlast and IBML before the state court and the Superior Court of Justice regarding a dispute over the termination of a consultancy and licensing agreement with Brazilian company Onkoy Sports.
- Responsible for Warner’s nationwide anti-counterfeiting programme in Brazil, which comprises hundreds of administrative and judicial procedures across more than 20 cities.
- Retained by MAN SE and Scania CV on a possible case of trade mark and software infringement against a Brazilian company.
- Assists the Marriot group in a dispute related to the mark “WESTIN”, owned by Westin Hotel Management.
Full-service firm BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão fields a specialised intellectual property department, which advises on the protection, management and enforcement of IP rights. Leading the practice is Antonella Carminatti, whose expertise covers IP litigation and prosecution, as well as transactional matters and anti-counterfeiting programmes. Franchising matters are a particular area of activity for Claudia Schulz, who often advises clients operating in the retail sector. Ana Müller co-ordinates the patent team, while Pedro Frankovsky Barroso oversees the IP litigation work, with a particular emphasis on patent litigation.
‘The team led by Antonella Carminatti is very reactive, and provides straightforward advice. They are experts in the field of luxury products.’
‘Antonella is one of the best lawyers in Brazil in the field of trademarks. She is always available and gives strategic advice.’
- Carried out a comprehensive trade mark infringement monitoring programme for Starbucks.
- Assisted Xuxa, a Brazilian television host, actress, singer, model and businesswoman, in connection with the recovery of her rights over the trade mark PAQUITAS.
- Acted for Netflix Brasil in a copyright lawsuit involving a cartoon series called “Super Drags”, having succeeded in avoiding an injunction against the client.
- Represents pharmaceutical company Hypera in lawsuits against Romark Laboratories to invalidate a patent for a broad-spectrum antiviral drug.
With longstanding experience in the field, Daniel Law acts for domestic and international clients ranging from emerging start-ups to leading global companies operating in a multitude of sectors, including electronics, pharmaceuticals, aeronautics and telecoms. Excelling in traditional IP prosecution matters, the practice is also proficient in high-stakes litigation, transactional work and brand protection. Practice head André Ferreira de Oliveira focuses on IP civil litigation and trade mark prosecution, while Ricardo Nunes leads the patents team. Trade marks are among Isabella Cardozo's areas of expertise; she often advises clients on the management of IP portfolios. Robert Daniel-Shores is another practitioner to note for brand protection and technology-related matters. The team has witnessed substantial growth recently, including the arrival of Luis Fernando Prado Chaves from Opice Blum, Bruno, Abrusio, Vainzof Advogados Associados, who is now leading the IT and data protection groups.
‘Daniel team, especially in regard patent litigation and patent prosecution, has a high level of commitment with the client and its cases. The team also provides creative or non-usual suggestions, and also has support of good statistical data to support that helps client’s decision. The team is also available for calls and meetings, they also have in general a good time response aligned to client’s need. The costs are suitable with the quality of the services provided.’
‘I would give special mention to the partners Ricardo Nunes (patent litigation), Leonardo Braune (patent litigation) and Gustavo Sartori (patent prosecution) to their high technical and expertise level, experience, availability and accountability. I believe they exceed other firms to their commitment to the client and to the case. I feel comfortable to delegate them the responsibility of our most important cases.’
‘The patent team is integrated – prosecution and litigation, highly skilled and knowledgeable. Advice is concise yet profound and straight to the point.’
‘Ricardo Nunes is a big-picture thinker and a rising star. He is able to discuss IP matters at a high level of complexity.’
- Represented a company with a well-known trade mark in filing a trade mark annulment action against a local company.
- Successfully assisted a manufacturing company in a judicial appeal to annul the PTO decision that rejected its trade mark application based on priority registrations for a similar name.
- Assisting a client in the filing of an infringement action against two companies, to make them refrain from using any marks containing certain expressions which are the client’s registered trade marks.
- Defending a leading technology company in relation to an infringement action claiming that the defendant is violating a trade mark and copyright.
Covering the full spectrum of IP rights, Montaury Pimenta, Machado & Vieira de Mello has a particularly strong track record in patent matters (including prosecution and litigation) and trade marks. In addition, the practice offers representation to clients before domestic and international arbitration chambers, and advises them in relation to invalidation actions, oppositions, technology transfers, franchising and licensing matters. The litigation team is led by Luiz Edgard Montaury Pimenta, while Eduardo Magalhães Machado leads the trade marks group. Roberto Vieira de Mello is adept at handling cross-border IP issues. The patent department is overseen by Gabriela Salerno, who has thorough knowledge of the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors. Joana de Mattos Siqueira and associates Ana Luiza Montaury Pimenta Corrêa and Ana Paula Brito are also recommended.
‘Very attentive to the client’s need, and knowledgeable about their business. Quick and hands-on advice can be expected from them.’
‘Eduardo Magalhães Machado has business sense and strategic thinking. Ana Paula Brito is highly responsive, and our trusted advisor, especially when it comes to copyright matters.’
‘Ana Luiza Montaury Pimenta Corrêa and Joana de Mattos Siqueira are the prosecution engines of the company. They handle a lot of cases for us, and they do it remarkably.’
‘The team is very responsive and handles your matters with precision.’
‘Eduardo Machado goes above and beyond for the client.’
‘Team is capable to deal with complex IP case starting from product chemistry, process, expert opinion and connecting all the dots to make the application to get favorable results. Proactively engage with partner to prepare for response against opponent queries.‘
‘Industry and process specific knowledge, proactiveness engagement with IP experts, appointed specialist.‘
‘Very good law firm with capable and responsive team.‘
‘Everyone one of the firm is outstanding.‘
- Represented a client in the protection of its trade dress rights in Brazil, which included the filing of a lawsuit in order to prevent a Brazilian company from using its famous trade dress.
- Acting for a leading multinational company in a lawsuit against a Brazilian company, which had been using one of the client’s trade marks.
- Represents a retail company in a long-running lawsuit filed in 2009, which concerns a trade mark and trade mark applications.
- Assists a household name company in a lawsuit before the Rio de Janeiro State Court in order to restrain another company from using the client’s figurative trade mark.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe is able to handle technology transfers, licensing transactions, patent infringement disputes and IP litigation. The team manages patent and trade mark portfolios on behalf of multinational companies in a range of industries. Other typical mandates include anti-counterfeiting, domain name disputes and IP due diligence in M&A transactions. Co-head Flavia Rebello has two decades' experience in the field of protection of IP rights. Specialising in IP and IT law, Gabriela Paiva and consultant Flavia Vasconcelos are other key practitioners. Marcela Trigo is the name to note for IP disputes. Felipe Zaltman Saldanha is regularly involved in IP litigation, and is proficient in patents and anti-counterfeiting work.
‘The team has the capability of organising the decision-making alternatives in a very pragmatic way. Lawyers are very responsive and organised.’
‘Marcela Trigo adds a sharp strategic view to her IP deep knowledge. She is an inspiring leader, balancing humour and seriousness.’
‘Felipe Zaltman is a top associate. He understands the challenges of the cases and has every skill to cope with them. Very responsive and thorough.’
Procter & Gamble
- Assisted Yum Brands in the restructuring of its franchising in Brazil, and in the negotiations of a reorganisation of the master franchisee that caused a significant impact to the business in the country.
- Advised Asahi Group Holdings in the application of trade mark KARAKUCHI to cover beer, which was opposed by Ambev based on its prior rights over the mark CARACU.
- Successfully enforced Belron International’s rights over the trade mark CAR GLASS against Icar Distribuidora Automotiva Eireli, a company engaged in glass and vehicle repair, which had applied for the registration of a similar logo.
- Successfully enforced H&M’s trade mark rights over the famous mark H&M against a Brazilian clothing store, which was reproducing its registered trade mark.
David do Nascimento Advogados Associados S/C
IP boutique David do Nascimento Advogados Associados S/C advises on the entire spectrum of IP assets. The service offering covers trade marks, industrial designs, patents, copyright, franchising and technology transfers. The team also offers representation to clients in IP disputes. Ricardo do Nascimento and Marcello do Nascimento are two of the standout practitioners.
Demarest Advogados' IP workload is populated by patent, copyright, trade mark, franchise and technology matters. Of particular note is the practice's proficiency in IP due diligence related to corporate transactions. Contentious matters - including both litigation and arbitration - are also among the team's regular instructions. Tatiana Campello heads the IP and innovation practice, while Marcelo Inglez de Sousa specialises in disputes. Camila Biral Vieira da Cunha Martins brings together expertise in IP and biotechnology, and Camila Garcindo Dayrell Garrote advises on the protection of IP assets. The arrival of data protection and IP specialist Eduardo Magrani in October 2020 provided a further boost to the team.
Stoller do Brasil
Womble Bond Dickinson (US)
- Advised Novus Mídia on the negotiation and execution with Turner International Latin America of a license agreement and a representation agreement to use and exploit CNN’s trade marks in Brazil.
- Assists Procomp in relation to patent prosecution, and handles the client’s trade mark and domain name portfolio.
- Assists Seoyon Group on reviewing, drafting and registering with the Brazilian Patent and Trademark Office agreements involving IP, such as technology transfers and trade mark and patent licensing.
Di Blasi, Parente & Associados
With IP at the core of the firm, Di Blasi, Parente & Associados caters to clients operating across a range of sectors, including hospitality, fashion, oil and gas, entertainment and pharmaceuticals. Demonstrating equal expertise in patent and trade mark litigation, registration and prosecution, the team is well equipped to advise on IP issues concerning foreign jurisdictions. It is under the joint leadership of managing partner Paulo Parente Marques Mendes and Gabriel Di Blasi, who is noted for his in-depth knowledge of franchising. Eriça Tomimaru focuses on patents, trade marks, trade dress and anti-piracy issues. Marcelo Oliveira de Souza is also recommended.
‘Very responsive to questions and friendly personnel.’
‘Marcelo Oliveira de Souza is very knowledgeable about patent processes in several jurisdictions.’
‘Gabriel Di Blasi is frank and honest about managing expectations, developing mutually beneficial relationships, and improving processes.’
Suzano Papel E Celulose
Angelus Industria De Produtos Odontológicos
Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc
J A Kemp
Jani-King Do Brasil Servicos E Franquias
Studio Torta S.P.A.
Buzzi, Notaro & Antonielli D’oulx
Fresenius Medical Care
Samsung Eletrônica Da Amazônia
Corteva Agriscience Agriculture Division Of Dowdupont
Staas & Halsey
Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health
Hotelaria Accor Brasil
- Represented Merial Saúde Animal and Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA (BIAH) in a series of lawsuits against Intervet regarding the production, commercialisation, and distribution of a blockbuster veterinary medicine by BIAH in Brazil.
- Acting for Suzano Papel e Celulose, a Brazilian forestry company and one of the largest producers of eucalyptus pulp, in a lawsuit against Eldorado in order to protect its IP rights regarding a plant variety.
- Represented Belov Engenharia in the filing of a lawsuit concerning its patent for technology related to the ‘Satellite System of Light Dive’.
Fielding a team of expert lawyers, trade mark and patent attorneys, IP boutique Guerra IP leads advice to local and international companies. With in-depth knowledge of the pharmaceutical and chemical industries, the practice advises on the development of national and global trade mark filings, maintenance and protection strategies as well as matters pertaining to patents and other IP assets. Sports law expert Alberto Guerra leads the team alongside Cristina Guerra, Flavio Leonardos and Ricardo Pinho. Diego Vieira left the firm in 2019 to join Felsberg Advogados.
‘Guerra IP stands out for its personal and tailored services, immediate and precise responses, and strong legal and practical knowledge of the Brazilian market and environment. Their practice is strong and reliable both in trademarks and patents.’
‘In our experience, this team is willing to go the extra mile. They are always available for additional queries and requests. They have great responsiveness and have always made themselves available. Guerra has a great multidisciplinary team which comes handy when dealing with complex issues or issues that involve more than one specialty.’
‘Cristina Guerra is an exceptional lawyer with sharp skills in everything related to trademark filing, prosecution, management and strategy. She also does a great anti-counterfeiting work in Brazil.’
‘Alberto Guerra is a seasoned, experienced and approachable lawyer with vast experience in complex litigation cases and also in IP portfolio management and strategy.’
‘Cristina Guerra is an excellent professional. Very active with the following up cases.’
‘Alberto Guerra is a very proactive professional and excellent counselor for IP matters.’
Licks Attorneys stands out for its expertise in patents and technology-related matters. The firm has a strong track record in assisting national and global companies, particularly in the telecoms and life sciences industries, with IP matters. Managing partner Otto Licks has longstanding experience representing international players in complex litigation; unfair competition and patents are areas of focus for Eduardo Hallak; Felipe Mesquita's key strengths reside in patent validity and infringement disputes. Other practitioners to note for IP litigation include Liliane Roriz, Carlos Aboim and Rodrigo Maior. The team is jointly led by all previously mentioned individuals.
‘The team is extremely engaged and proactive, always striving to understand and address our needs.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Biogen International GmbH
Telefonaktiebolaget L.M. Ericsson
Pierre Fabre Médicament
- Represented Merck Sharp & Dohme in defending the allowance and granting of its patent related to a formulation comprising temozolomide, marketed as Temodal IV.
- Acted for Comba Indústria e Comércio de Equipamentos de Telecomunicações in complex patent litigation against Andrew LLC, a CommScope subsidiary, involving RET antennas.
- Represented Syngenta in the assertion of a patent portfolio covering a blockbuster agrochemical, filing complaints against three generic companies in Brazil.
Murta Goyanes Advogados
Murta Goyanes Advogados' IP department assists companies from a multitude of industries, ranging from chemicals to fashion, media and entertainment, among others. Having seen recent growth in the team, the practice has also received an increase in the volume of work concerning trade mark, patent and industrial design prosecution. Domain names and copyright issues also feature on the team's workload. Founding partners Antonio Murta Filho and Marcelo Goyanes are names to note for IP disputes. Besides trade mark and patent law, Luiza Duarte Pereira specialises in IP licensing, franchising and technology agreements. Other key practitioners include João Marcos Gebara and Íris Miranda de Sá Galvão.
‘The team is always available and timely answers queries and legal requests. Murta Goyanes’s team is well prepared and offers high technical performance with a good cost and benefit balance.’
‘The firm cooperates with us mainly in matters of trademark prosecution. Murta Goyanes has a team of very flexible and efficient prosecutors, offering excellent service at competitive rates.’
‘Deep talent and excellent strategic thinking.’
‘Luiza Duarte Pereira is highly responsive and reliable.’
‘Antonio Murta Filho’s advice is of high quality, he is always available and very experienced in international litigation matters.’
‘Marcelo Goyanes is an excellent professional and Danielle Gonçalves is always available to provide us legal assistance on trademarks related issues.’
MercadoLivre Atividades de Internet
Sistema Globo de Rádio
Noble Drilling Services
Terras De Aventura Industria de Artigos Esportivos
Amazon Content Services
20th Century Fox
The Coca-Cola Company
- Represented Coca Cola in a lawsuit filed by Iporã Comércio, Distribuicão e Representacões de Água, Refrescos, Bebidas Alcoolicas e Alimentos challenging BPTO’s decision that rejected its trade mark application for the composite trade mark ACQUA BONNA.
- Acted for GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare (UK) IP GlaxoSmithKline Brasil in a trade mark infringement lawsuit against Nutriex Indústria de Nutracêuticos.
- Defends Warner Bros Music Brasil in a lawsuit seeking damages arising from contractual issues, which involves discussion of copyright, ownership and related rights.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados' IP team has a proven track record in complex litigation. Providing services across a range of IP assets, the practice is also well versed in patent, industrial design and trade mark prosecution. André Zonaro Giacchetta has extensive experience in litigation involving technology and IP rights. IP litigation is one of José Mauro Decoussau Machado's areas of practice; he also regularly advises domestic and international clients on transactional IP matters.
‘Pinheiro Neto has a great team which is able to advise on any IP matter.’
‘Pinheiro Neto’s IP team is very business driven without losing focus on legal risks. The team is always thinking in new ways to make business possible and allow development.’
‘The attorneys are well informed in all IP matters.’
‘José Mauro Decoussau Machado is a very experienced lawyer with a business acumen that makes him a valuable asset to all organisations.’
‘Gustavo Ferrer has a deep knowledge of all IP regulations and his experience both as an in-house lawyer and as outside counsel makes him a great partner to work with when assessing risk/rewards of any enterprise.’
- Representing Multisport Indústria, Comércio e Representações in lawsuits with Speedo International, which claims that the ‘SPEEDO’ trademark would have been registered in bad faith by Multisport in the late 70s.
- Acting for Stanley Black & Decker in a lawsuit in which the client seeks the annulment of the trade mark ‘CRAFTSMAN’ registered on behalf of Tools Club.
- Manages the IP portfolio of all companies of the ELOPAR Group, and also assists with the structuring of new IP rights and new ways to ensure the protection of already existent IP rights.
Offering advice to local and international companies, Veirano Advogados undertakes IP work pertaining to trade marks, domain names, patents and industrial designs. The team also advises clients on unfair competition, franchise agreements and technology matters. Key practitioners include Valdir de Oliveira Rocha Filho and Fábio Pereira.
Fialho Salles Advogados
The intellectual property, technology and innovation team at Fialho Salles Advogados advises on the protection of IP rights and the IP aspects of corporate transactions and international trade agreements. Other regular mandates include litigation, technology transfers, and a range of copyright, trade mark and patent matters. Lucas Spadano, who has joint expertise in IP and competition regulations, leads the department. Luiza Tângari has in-depth knowledge of IP rights across trade marks, patents, copyright and industrial design.
‘The team was able to find alternative ways to address important matters for us. They were also very successful in negotiating with the other party.’
‘The services provided by Fialho Salles Advogados go much further than mere IP prosecution. The firm is up to date to Industry 4.0 technologies. Besides, Fialho Salles Advogados holds a unique and comprehensive knowledge of IP International issues, like treaties and trade agreements, as well as their impacts on global trade.’
‘The team was very focused and prepared to negotiate the conditions and terms of contract and defend the best of our interest. They also were capable to propose alternative solutions and express and deal with the main issues and concerns of the business.’
‘Lucas Spadano has a robust background in international law and trade. He is extremely engaged and delivers legal opinions and documents with solid argumentation.’
‘Luiza Tângari and Bernardo Santos are two young brilliant minds with impressive academic backgrounds, international experience, and several foreign language proficiencies.’
‘Luiza Tângari, Bernardo Santos and Paula Rezende are our main contacts. They are very competent and they are always available to discuss our topics, providing precise opinions. ‘
Atlas Partners Serviços de Tecnologia de Informação
Aperam Inox América do Sul
Axxiom Soluções Tecnológicas
BH Iluminação Pública
BRK Ambiental Participações
Centro de Inovações CSEM Brasil
Cia de Fiação e Tecidos Cedro e Cachoeira
Clamper Indústria e Comércio
Conecta Administradora e Corretora de Seguros
Confederação Nacional da Indústria – CNI
Criteo do Brasil Desenvolvimento de Serviços de Internet
Dynamis Comércio e Serviços
Ecogranito Indústria e Comércio
Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners (Russian firm)
End to End Analytics Consultoria América do Sul (E2E)
Feluma Fundação Educacional Lucas Machado
Fisher Adams Kelly Callinans (Australian firm)
Forbes & Manhattan
Geofusion Sistema e Serviços de Informática
ICasa Indústria Cerâmica Andradense
Innovative Seed Solutions Brasil – Sementes Inovadoras
Inspira Mudança Participações
LV Confeções em Couro Eireli
Pointer Metais e Pirotecnia
Sandvik Mining and Construction do Brasil
Sano Saneamento e Participações
São Joaquim Holding & Empreendimentos
Slipstream Brazil Pty
Somos Educação e Participações
SumUp Soluções de Pagamento Brasil
Sunew Filmes Fotovoltaicos Impressos
Trymech Tecnologia Medica
Tysdo Desenvolvimento de Softwares
- Representing SumUp Soluções de Pagamento Brasil in three legal disputes regarding alleged undue use of trade marks as reference for Google Ads Service.
- Assisted Dýnamis Comércio e Serviços with patent infringement matters regarding vertical wind tunnels.
Gruenbaum, Possinhas & Teixeira
Gruenbaum, Possinhas & Teixeira is active across the full range of IP matters, advising domestic and foreign business groups from a multitude of sectors, including oil and gas, entertainment, tobacco, retail and pharmaceutical. Andréa Possinhas leads the trade mark group, while patents are under Leonardo Cordeiro's watch. Copyright matters, technology transfers, industrial designs, licensing and franchising are some of the team's notable areas of practice.
‘We engaged the firm for trademark prosecution work and handling cease and desist letters to competitors that are wrongfully using our clients’ marks. The work was excellent, timely and reasonably priced.’
‘The team is very dynamic, they are always following up on the matters, providing reports, responding in a fast manner and showing deep knowledge of different fields. Their response time is great.’
‘The team from Gruenbaum, Possinhas & Teixeira has always been very attentive and efficient. They provide quality work and are always available to solve doubts.’
‘We receive timely updates, procedure explanations, and excellent strategic advice from Andréa Possinhas, Isadora Lima, and Luiza Vitorino.’
‘Andréa Possinhas leads the department and is always behind matters.’
‘Possinhas is very professional and gets everything done.’
Vapor Pin Enterprises
Talavera Hair Products
Bidim Indústria E Comércio
Ceitec Centro De Excelência Em Tecnologia Eletrônica Avançada
Groom Wilkes & Wright
Neal Gerber Eisenberg
Bird & Bird
Womble Bond Dickinson
Cerro Grande Corporativo
Capital Business Management
Laboratorios Pisa De C.V.L.
Waterfurnace International Inc.
Temsa Ulaşim Araçlari Sanayi Ve Ticaret Anonim Şirketi
C.M.E. Blasting & Mining Equipment
- Representing Maschinenfabrik Gustav Eirich in a lawsuit filed by a third party, requesting the nullity of a decision of the Brazilian Trademark Office.
- Advised PUMA SE on the agreement to enable the co-existence of well-known device marks owned by Puma, Jaguar and Land Rover.
KLA Advogados has notable experience in transactional work involving IP rights. In addition, the team acts for clients in IP litigation, management and protection, covering trade marks, patents, industrial designs and copyright. Co-head Tania Liberman receives instructions from companies operating in the technology, entertainment and media fields, while co-leader Vanessa Pirró regularly handles IP litigation and unfair competition issues.
‘Knowledge of the matters discussed. Suggestions of alternatives. Close relationship with clients and availability.’
‘Competent people that promptly respond in a very technical and clear way.’
‘They get to the point and give us the solution without hesitating.’
‘Fast reply, great technical background.’
‘The response is always immediate and concise.’
JK Group S.P.A and Delaware Capital Formation
Fiera Milano Publicações e Eventos
Wieden + Kennedy
Gol Transportes Aéreos
- Assisted JK Group with the filing of a lawsuit due to the non-authorised use and registration of the ‘J-Teck’ trade mark in Brazil.
- Acted for Irwin Industrial Tool Ferramentas do Brasil in a lawsuit against Cortag Indústria e Comércio requesting that Irwin immediately refrain from commercialising a tile cutter that could violate Cortag’s IP rights.
IP boutique Luiz Leonardos & Advogados has longstanding experience in strategic matters concerning trade marks, patents, industrial designs, copyrights and domain names. IP litigation, anti-piracy measures and unfair competition issues are also among the practice's regular instructions. The team is under the leadership of three partners: Ana Paula Jardim oversees the patents group; Rodrigo Bonan leads on litigation; and Patricia Lusoli is in charge of trade marks. Luiz Leonardos and Gustavo Starling Leonardos are adept at advising on all areas of IP. Pedro Zardo, who specialises in judicial and administrative litigation, joined the recently opened São Paulo office in September 2019.
‘We would like to highlight the exceptional dedication and commitment that the firm has to their clients and how well prepared their members are to deal with their clients’ needs. The patent practice is outstanding and always provides us with solutions and high standards.’
‘Responsive and helpful.’
‘Ana Paula is an expert in the IP field, particularly in patents. She is always available and committed to seek the best interest of clients. She is a very technical person, providing solutions for any Novelty or Inventive Steps requirements.’
‘Ana Paula Jardim is always a pleasure to work with. She is very knowledgeable and helpful, and is well-known in the international patent circuit.’
- Representing an owner of a well-known brand in several oppositions before the Brazilian PTO.
- Assisted a household name company in the review and draft of a trade mark license agreement.
Mansur Murad Advogados
Specialised in IP, Mansur Murad Advogados not only manages national and international trade mark portfolios, but is also adept at handling trade mark litigation, with the firm offering support to clients from diverse sectors, including retail, food and beverage, financial services and entertainment. Other typical mandates include licensing agreements on software, patents and non-patented technologies. Founding partner Flavia Mansur Murad leads on patent prosecution and matters pertaining to fashion law. Pedro Vilhena recently joined from Kasznar Leonardos Intellectual Property to head three of the firm's practice groups: litigation, trade mark prosecution and data protection.
‘The team at Mansur Murad is client-focused and very attentive. They put all their efforts in finding the best result to our matters, always with down-to-earth and precise advice. Moreover, their fees are competitive and flexible.’
‘They have a diligent and competent service. They dedicate their time to answer our needs with calls, meetings and whatever is necessary for us to feel comfortable.’
‘The firm is small but highly effective and very well connected with all organisations related with IP work in Brazil.’
‘Flavia Mansur Murad, the founding parter, is a hands-on manager and is present in all matters. She always thinks on the big picture when evaluating the costs, benefits and alternatives to situations.’
‘Pedro Vilhena, the new partner of the national trademark practice is an important addition to the team and, in a short time, is proving to be an essential piece. His experience from larger firms brings a new perspective and insight.’
Fratex Indústria E Comércio
You Inc Incorporadora E Participações
New Content Group/Accenture
Queen Productions Limited
Hsi – Investimentos
Fiorentino Produções E Eventos
Lmlr Consultoria Empresarial
Alfa Parf Group
Eldorado Brasil Celulose
Cocam Cia De Café Solúvel E Derivados
Benx Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Rabbot Serviços De Tecnologia
Banco Industrial Do Brasil
Tec Saúde Administradora De Benefícios
Poupa Brasil – Associação Para O Desenvolvimento E Operação De Sistema De Captação Compartilhada
- Represented Vigor Alimentos, a leading brand of Greek yoghurt in Brazil, in a trade dress infringement and unfair competition case against Danone.
- Represented Eldorado Brasil Celulose in a patent infringement and damages lawsuit regarding a utility model.
With a strong focus on IP protection in digital channels, Silveiro Advogados excels in anti-piracy matters, as well as digital copyright infringement, trade marks and unfair competition. Other areas of expertise include domain name disputes and license infringement. Practice head Rodrigo Azevedo focuses on online brand protection and online IP infringement, marketplace take-down features and crisis management.
- Represented Termolar as plaintiff in a lawsuit filed against Soprano for industrial design infringement, which was successfully decided in first instance, conferring damages to Termolar.
- Defending Lojas Colombo, a major Brazilian retailer, in a lawsuit filed by the association in charge of the collection of musical performance rights in Brazil.
Siqueira Castro – Advogados
Siqueira Castro – Advogados has a strong focus on anti-counterfeiting matters and border measures, and is also well equipped to handle issues concerning patents, utility models, trade marks and industrial designs. The team is under the joint leadership of Eduardo Ribeiro Augusto, whose specialisms include trade mark registration and anti-piracy proceedings, and media and entertainment expert Daniel Pitanga. Pitanga is regularly instructed to advise on copyright, advertising and trade marks.
‘Differentiated attention and focus on results. They are always involved in matters of equal importance, regardless of the area and value involved. Lawyers have the ability to make quick decisions. The firm offers national coverage.’
Copag Da Amazonia
Sindicato Nacional Da Indústria De Trefilação E Laminação De Metais Ferrosos – Sicetel
Krj Indústria E Comércio
Tiferet Comércio De Roupas
V. D. Importadora E Distribuidora
Mapfre Seguros Gerais
Furukawa Industrial Produtos Elétricos
Indústria Gráfica Foroni
- Assists Copag Da Amazonia through a detailed anti-piracy project against products that reproduce the client’s brand without authorisation.
- Represents KRJ Indústria e Comércio in a lawsuit concerning the illegal use of a patent.
Soerensen Garcia Advogados Associados
Besides its focus on trade mark and patent prosecution and litigation, the IP team at Souto Correa Advogados demonstrates multi-disciplinary expertise, which allows it to support the audiovisual industry, advertising agencies, record labels as well as online content providers. Department co-head Leticia Provedel is proficient in franchising agreements, entertainment and technology matters. Mariana Vicentini is another key point of contact, whose areas of focus include trade mark prosecution, advertising and copyright.
‘The team has deep knowledge of intellectual property and are very helpful and quick.’
Wyndham Hotels and Resorts
WHG Caribbean Holdings
DiDi Chuxing (99 Tecnologia)
Rede Agro Fidelidade e Intermediação
The Madison Square Garden Company
Airbnb Serviços Digitais
Chevron Phillips Chemical Company
- Acted as Brazilian legal counsel to Kiini Inc in relation to a lawsuit filed against the client in the US by a Brazilian citizen for alleged copyright infringement of bikini designs.
- Represented 99 Tecnologia in an enforcement lawsuit for undue use of 99EATS in connection with an application for food delivery services, copyright infringement and unfair competition.
Covering the life sciences, food and beverage, manufacturing and technology industries, SPLaw is skilled at advising on a range of IP matters related to patents, trade marks and licensing agreements. The team often assists clients in a cross-border context, including on the outbound internationalisation of IP rights for Brazilian clients and inbound IP on behalf of foreign clients. Founding partner Benny Spiewak, who has more than 18 years' experience in the field, leads the department.
‘Practicality and objectivity in understanding and addressing the client’s needs, in particular in relation to complex life sciences and IT combined projects, where sometimes the client does not know what he needs to abide to.’
‘The firm stands out in the IP market due to the level of knowledge of the analysts, aligned with the fast communication on the themes and support of the associates.’
‘Benny Spiewak has deep knowledge in Medtech/Life Sciences/IT projects and outstanding readiness and assertiveness translating legal terms and guidance to the client.’
The UK Intellectual Property Office
Teva Pharmaceuticals Ltd
National Confederation of Industries (CNI)
- Advising Boehringer Ingelheim on the enforcement of its IP and regulatory rights towards unauthorised, substandard and/or irregularly imported pharmaceutical products.
- Assisted DuPont, Dow Agrosciences and Pioneer in ensuring all marketing and IP assets were successfully transferred to Corteva, the newly created seeds and biotech spin-off company, following the DuPont and Dow merger.
The IP team at TozziniFreire Advogados has a proven track record in handling transactional work on behalf of international and local clients from a range of industries, including chemicals, food, national defence, pharmaceuticals, technology and entertainment. Other areas of activity include the registration of patents, trade marks and administrative measures in relation to software and technology transfer agreements. Leading the department is Marcela Waksman Ejnisman, whose experience also encompasses the protection of trade marks, patents, utility models and industrial designs.
‘TozziniFreire is highly professional and fields a unique combination between efficiency and speed in response.’
‘TozziniFreire is an exceptional firm, the various teams and leaders are fully dedicated to clients’ needs solving problems in an efficient manner. The team provides precise answers and rise to the challenge when deadlines are short and complex analysis is required.’
‘A strong team with a full range of capabilities within the IP space.’
‘Marcela Ejnisman is very involved in clients’ matters, always present in calls and communications, with clear answers and efficient solutions. She provides the sound advice from an expert.’
‘Silvia Castro and Luis Felipe Bueno are always attentive to our requests and help in the coordination of a wide range of matters.’
Tishman Desenvolvimento Imobiliário Ltda.
Gol Linhas Aéreas S.A.
- Assisting Pokémon, a world leader in entertainment and games development, in prosecuting the registration of its trade mark portfolio in Brazil.
- Advised Merck on the transfer of its customer health business in Brazil, in particular, having prepared all the IP agreements related to this project.