Standing out for its experience in transactional and regulatory matters, Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados has extensive oil and gas expertise, encompassing the gamut of sector-related matters (such as financings and stock and asset purchases), project agreements and contentious issues. In addition to its strong relationships with major exploration and production companies in Brazil, the team is also a popular choice among banks, private equity firms and natural gas distributors, which often seek assistance in acquisitions, lending transactions, commercial agreements, class actions and arbitration. With in-depth knowledge of oil and gas regulations, Giovani Loss steers the Rio de Janeiro-based team on a range of transactions, chiefly M&A. This is also a notable area of practice for Felipe Rodrigues Caldas Feres, who also brings a wealth of experience in contractual and regulatory issues. Other key individuals include Danielle Ludwig, who has a strong background in the oil and gas sector, and Bruno Chedid, whose track record features M&A, pipeline transportation matters and contract negotiation.
Hydrocarbons in Brazil
‘One of the most experienced teams in the oil and gas market in Brazil. Vast experience not only in regulatory matters, but also in complex transactions in the sector. Giovani Loss and Felipe Feres are great.’
‘Level of professionalism of the team, sophistication of advice and knowledge of the local market. Lawyers work in all or almost all major financing operations in the country.’
‘Giovani Loss is a national reference for financing transactions in the energy sector.’
‘Mattos Filho stands out in two distinct areas: level of service and knowledge of the oil and gas industry. They offer an exceptional level of service and are always readily available when needed with top professionals for contributing to legal issues. They are the type of law firm that readily seeks to solve problems and reduce risks, not simply point out risks. They are one of the most knowledgeable law offices in Brazil for oil and gas and stay up to date continually with practical application of their knowledge and review of new laws or jurisprudence.’
‘Felipe Feres is very knowledgable and experienced in gas law and sales agreements. An excellent professional in the area who can contribute to upstream, midstream or downstream negotiations for gas. Giovani Loss is an excellent leader of the O&G team at Mattos Filho who has successfully built a high performing team. Not only is he a solid leader of the team, but when needed he is also not afraid to “put on his boots” and join in detailed reviews or negotiations to assist in resolving challenges. He stays well up to date with the most recent laws and cases.’
Atem Distribuidora de Petróleo
- Advised Instituto Brasileiro de Petróleo e Gás – IBP (an association mainly formed by major oil companies) in matters regarding the bill of the New Gas Law.
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui, ING and Crédit Agricole during the acquisition by Trident Energy of 10 mature oil fields from Petrobras.
- Assisted Ecopetrol in the acquisition of a stake in BM-S-54 and Sul de Gato do Mato oil blocks from Shell.
Tauil & Chequer Advogados is seen with great regularity advising on high-end transactions, regulatory matters and project development in the oil and gas sector. The team draws on the firm’s full-service structure to advise hydrocarbon clients on the entire spectrum of mandates, cutting across tax, compliance, real estate, antitrust, environmental law and litigation. The group, which is fully integrated with global offices across the US, Europe and Asia, has also built a reputation for acting for industry-leading international clients in domestic and cross-border transactions. Global head of the oil and gas practice Alexandre Chequer is experienced in the upstream, midstream and downstream segments. He leads the team based in Rio de Janeiro, which also counts on other noteworthy practitioners: Victor Galante focuses on sector-related M&A and projects; Bruno Belchior has significant cross-border experience covering project finance, joint ventures, M&A and bids. Since publication, Alexandre Calmon and Marcelo Frazão left the firm, in October 2021.
‘Tauil & Checker Advogados has one of the best O&G teams in Brazil. They have a broad knowledge of the market, and with this information they are able to assist in the company’s internal decision-making.’
‘The level of complexity of most of the matters dealt with by the firm is high, given that most of them have never been discussed before in Brazil. The Tauil & Checker Advogados team has always stood out in its agility and ability to offer direct and correct answers. All the work developed with them was of excellent quality, both in terms of deadlines and in relation to the clarity of the information provided.’
‘Bruno Belchior is a professional with a lot of technical capacity.’
‘Tauil & Chequer, associated with the internationally renowned Mayer & Brown, has extensive and recognised expertise in energy law, in particular oil and natural gas. Its body of lawyers is up to date with all the regulations of the sector, in addition to maintaining good, legitimate and respected contact with decision makers in the public area. What distinguishes the firm from others specialised in oil and gas is the capacity of its team, which combines technical and legal knowledge.’
‘Victor Galante: partner, specialised in energy, with extensive experience in the private sector. Alexandre Checker: partner, specialised in economic law, with extensive experience in the private sector.’
TAG – Transportadora Associada de Gás
Transocean Offshore International
China National Petroleum Corporation
Equinor ASA – Angola
PECOM (Perez Companc)
- Acted for Engie and CDPQ in the acquisition of the remaining 10% shareholding stake held by Petrobras in Transportadora Associada de Gás – TAG for the final price of roughly R$1.1bn.
- Assisting CNOOC Petroleum Brasil in every step of the co-participation negotiation agreement with PPSA, following the acquisition of a 5% participating interest in the pre-salt field of Búzios.
- Assisting MISC Berhad throughout the bid proceeding of Petrobras for the charter and operation of the third floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) unit to be employed at the ultra-deepwater Mero field (Mero 3).
Cescon Barrieu stands out for its broad financing and transactional capabilities in the oil and gas sector, where it has an impressive track record that includes major financings for drilling rigs and oil platforms operating in Brazilian waters. Additionally, the practice is adept at assisting with an array of mandates involving oil and gas players, including tax and regulatory issues, contract negotiation and environmental law. Based in Rio de Janeiro, the hydrocarbons group is proficient in upstream and downstream mandates, and receives instructions from domestic and international banks, financial institutions, E&P companies and private equity firms, among others. Rafael Baleroni is one of the key points of contact for foreign clients in relation to upstream asset sales, contractual disputes, financing and equity investments. Maurício Teixeira dos Santos, whose experience covers M&A, tender offers and offshore assets, leads the infrastructure and project finance team.
Mauricio Teixeira dos Santos; Rafael Baleroni
‘Great expertise of Brazil’s O&G regulatory framework. Empathetic, attends clients’ urgent matters, has fresh ideas in difficult issues, a very professional team. I had the chance of working with Rafael Baleroni.’
‘The team is extremely capable. It is always available. They are able to take risks. Maurício Teixeira dos Santos and Rafael Baleroni are capable of leading an exceptional team.’
‘Quality of the final product, lawyers and partners are always well-informed and able to discuss issues without the need for extensive research. We worked with Mauricio Santos and Rafael Baleroni.’
‘Cescon Barrieu is a totally “client-driven” firm, able to understand the immediate needs of the client with a clear sense of priority and timing, without compromising the quality of the final product. Maurício Santos is the commander of a highly qualified team. Rafael Baleroni is an expert in the entire O&G chain, and stands out for his extensive knowledge in various sectors.’
Associação Brasileira de Produtores Independentes de Petróleo e Gás – ABPIP
GeoPark Limited and its Brazilian subsidiary
Seadrill Limited and its Brazilian subsidiaries
Copagaz – Distribuidora de Gás
Klaipedos Nafta Oil (KN)
Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social – BNDES
- Advises ABPIP on challenging the validity of the legal framework and the fees charged for licensing and annual renewal of environmental licenses issued by IDEMA, the environmental authority of the Rio Grande do Norte state.
- Advised GeoPark Brasil on the contractual, regulatory and tax aspects of its business in Brazil, particularly the sale of its interest in the Manati field.
- Advised Magni Partners, through its subsidiary Knarr Drilling, on the distressed leveraged acquisition of four drilling rigs in Sete Brasil’s judicial reorganisation, covering the restructuring, contractual, financing and regulatory aspects.
With an impressive track record in M&A transactions in the exploration and production segment, Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados acts for strategic clients in an array of transactional, contractual and regulatory matters. The team, which has recently experienced growth in E&P, gas and refining-related work, is particularly recognised for its role as the main advisor of Petrobras in relation to its divestment programme. Daniel Szyfman, who sits in the São Paulo office, leads the nationwide group, and is regularly sought by clients engaged in M&A and financing matters. He receives support from a talented team of associates based in Rio de Janeiro, which includes natural gas projects specialist Maria Fernanda Soares and Fernando Xavier, the latter of whom focuses on E&P projects and administrative litigation.
‘Machado Meyer is fully aware of the company’s drivers and values and always provides legal support straight to the point and with a commercial oriented mindset.‘
‘The team has extensive experience in the natural gas sector, supporting government and key stakeholders in the gas sector. Maria Fernanda Soares stands out for her regulatory knowledge of the sector. She follows the legal developments related to the Brazilian Gas Market opening closely.’
‘ Harmony, dedication, respect and discipline. Fernando Xavier is great.’
‘Daniel Szyfman and Fernando Xavier are excellent lawyers, business oriented and straight to the point, always adding value to our legal discussions and issues.’
- Hired by Petrobras to create the contractual and tax structure (in compliance with the changing regulatory framework) to grant non-discriminatory and negotiated access to its natural gas processing units (UPGNs).
- Advised Petrobras on the sale of 19 offshore fields and 85 onshore fields for an aggregate consideration of $3.87bn, as part of the company’s ambitious divestment plan for mature and onshore fields.
- Assisting Oil Group in the creation of a project for a modular refinery with a processing capacity of up to 50MMb/d in the Açu Port.
Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados
The oil and gas team at Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados provides comprehensive assistance to domestic and foreign clients engaged in asset and stock acquisitions, and contractual and regulatory matters pertaining to upstream and downstream projects. Headquartered in Rio de Janeiro, the specialist group often acts for private equity firms, financial institutions and oil companies in relation to LNG, offshore supply and pipeline construction projects. These are all areas of expertise for co-head Paulo Valois Pires, who is also seasoned in sector-related transactional matters. Fellow co-leader Rogério Sobral de Miranda is proficient in the exploration and production segment, and regularly handles M&A, project finance and contracts with cross-border elements. Isabela Faria is another name to note in the team; she excels in project finance and EPC contracts.
Paulo Valois Pires; Rogério Sobral de Miranda
‘The firm has legal expertise in the area of oil and natural gas, providing us with excellent service in the process of acquiring oil and natural gas fields.’
‘Paulo Valois, in addition to being an excellent professional, through his training and cordiality, has helped our company in its positioning in the Brazilian oil and gas market, as well as introducing us to several potential investors.’
BHP Billiton Petroleum
Petrobras Distribuidora BR
Angel Fundo de Investimento em Participações Multiestratégia
- Represented Petrobras Distribuidora in the acquisition of a 70% equity stake of Targus Comerlizadora.
- Acts for Petrobras Distribuidora in a joint venture with Golar Group for the distribution of LNG in Brazil.
- Assisted Seacrest Petróleo in negotiations with Karavan Petróleo e Gás for the joint acquisition of the Cricaré Cluster in a bidding procedure under the divestment program carried out by Petrobras.
Vieira, Rezende, Barbosa e Guerreiro Advogados
With 'extensive knowledge of the market, availability and great technical skills', Vieira, Rezende, Barbosa e Guerreiro Advogados is adept at assisting clients from the natural gas and offshore industries. Located in Rio de Janeiro, the team is routinely instructed in matters pertaining to administrative and regulatory issues, bidding rounds, M&A transactions, concession rights acquisitions and project finance. Daniela Ribeiro Davila, who is highlighted for her knowledge of oil and gas regulations and financing projects, oversees the group, which particularly stands out for its experience in advising foreign companies, chiefly Norwegian, in their offshore activities. Joyce Jacobsen is a key contact for cross-border mandates and leads the firm’s Norwegian desk. Thiago Luiz Pereira da Silva continues to support clients in the E&P sector, but has been increasingly focusing on gas-to-power projects and regulations. Gas specialist Ricardo Martinez de Almeida is another name to note in the team for midstream and downstream matters.
Daniela Ribeiro Davila
‘The team at Vieira Rezende is very professional. Always available at short notice for any assistance related to legal matters. We found them very professional & helpful.’
‘Strong knowledge of and experience with relevant local laws for the energy business in general. Very quick turnaround times and great availability. Daniela Ribeiro Davila and Joyce Jacobsen are recommended.’
‘It has extensive knowledge of the market, availability and great technical skills. Thiago Luiz Pereira da Silva and Daniela Ribeiro Davila are excellent lawyers and have extensive knowledge of the market.’
Total Gas & Power
BW Energy Maromba
- Assisted DBO Energia with the preparation of all documentation required to be presented to the Brazilian Stock Exchange Commission, for the IPO of 3R Petroleum, a company in which DBO Energia is a shareholder.
- Assisted ATDL in connection with a refinancing that involved a bond issue and a senior secured term loan facility in Norway, in which the Brazilian subsidiary of ATDL, BassDrill Brasil Serviços de Petróleo, was required to grant certain guarantees.
- Retained by Biosev to conduct the legal part of the emergency response related to the explosion of a biofuel tank (ethanol) of 5 million litres, located within its biofuel plant of Passatempo, in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul.
Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper fields a specialised oil and gas team, which is regularly instructed by international clients operating in Brazil or seeking to enter the market. Recently, the team has been particularly active assisting major oil companies in bidding procedures, M&A transactions, operational agreements, and in the development of offshore and onshore projects. Since publication, the team saw a major change with the departures of former practice head David Meiler and Bárbara Bittencourt, and the arrivals of Marcelo Frazão and Alexandre Calmon from Tauil & Chequer Advogados, in October 2021.
‘We have a long and successful relationship with the firm, mainly in the oil & gas area. We have always been very well attended, both from the point of view of service quality and the attention given to our demands.’
Murphy Oil Corporation
ETESCO Cosntruções e Comércio
Maersk Supply Services
San Antonio- Lupatech
Perenco- Oil and gas
Mitsui & Co.
- Assisted PetroRio and its affiliate Brasoil Manati Exploração Petrolífera in the preparation and negotiation of the sale and purchase agreement executed with Gas Bridge for the sale of its participating interests in Manati Concession.
- Acted for Murphy Oil Corporation in the acquisition of 30% of Wintershall’s participating interests in the exploratory fields POT-M-857, POT-M-863 and POT-M-865, located in the Potiguar Basin.
- Advised 3R Petroleum on the acquisition of Fazenda Belém Cluster, located in the state of Ceará.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados assists domestic and foreign clients operating in the oil and gas sector, commercial banks, service providers and equipment suppliers in a range of transactional, regulatory and contentious matters. Based in Rio de Janeiro, the group is seasoned in mandates pertaining to the upstream and downstream segments, and witnessed an uptick in contractual and regulatory work as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Marcelo Viveiros de Moura is the main point of contact for oil and gas clients, and demonstrates particular expertise in sector-related regulations and M&A deals involving hydrocarbon assets. Francisco Werneck Maranhão and Marcello Lobo are other names to note for high-value transactions, chiefly financing deals and M&A with regulatory implications. Recently promoted partner Raphael Moraes Paciello is also noted for M&A transactions.
‘Excellent customer support, with great knowledge of the market. High responsiveness and effectiveness.’
‘Skills and availability.’
‘The Corporate and Oil & Gas practice led by Marcelo Moura is uniquely qualified in acting on the buy side in deals involving privatisation. Marcelo Moura and Raphael Paciello stand out in the Rio legal market in terms of experience and efficiency in providing legal solutions.’
‘Raphael Paciello is a rising star. He is always available and technically solid. Great knowledge of the energy sector.’
Mubadala Investment Company PJSC
Public Joint Stock Company Acron
Macquarie Brasil Participações
Mitsui Gás e Energia do Brasil, and Mitsui & Co
Nova Transportadora do Sudeste – NTS
Brookfield Asset Management
Compass Gás e Energia
New Development Bank – NDB
Mitsubishi Corporation do Brasil
MODEC Offshore Production Systems
- Assisted Mubadala Investment Company PJSC in the potential acquisition of 100% of Petrobras’s interests in a wholly owned subsidiary that will be set up to operate the Landulpho Alves refinery.
- Acted for Arcadis in the sale of its indirect equity interest in Arcadis Logos Energia to Porto de Cima Concessões, an entity of the JMalucelli group.
- Advised Macquarie Brasil Participações on the process to obtain a license to import and export fuels with the National Petroleum Agency – ANP, and in an administrative process.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe provides 'targeted, easy to digest advice in a complex, heavily regulated sector'. The firm offers multidisciplinary services covering compliance, ESG issues, tax planning and antitrust matters to a varied client roster that features private and public sector oil and gas clients. Recent mandates included advising on M&A and investments involving hydrocarbon assets, regulatory issues, project development and dispute resolution. Danielle Valois oversees the oil and gas industry group in Brazil and the whole of Latin America. Valois specialises in sector-related cross-border disputes, compliance and transactions. Contractual and administrative law are notable areas of practice for Gabriela Bezerra Fischer, who is also often involved in oil and gas deals.
‘I have been following the work in the oil and gas area of the Trench Rossi team for many years and I have very good references for its performance in the market. The practice works in complex regulatory discussions in both the upstream and midstream segments.’
‘Danielle Valois, responsible for the oil and gas area, has a prominent position in the sector due to her excellent knowledge of sector regulation. Her consolidated experience in relevant projects certainly contributed to the firm’s development of a pioneering and differentiated practice in the market. More recently, Trench has been at the forefront of discussions on the structuring of policies for the New Natural Gas Market.’
‘The TRW team was extremely user friendly, and gives targeted, easy to digest advice in a complex, heavily regulated sector. We have used TRW across energy, M&A, capital markets and corporate aspects of our Brazilian investment, and have found them to be extremely proficient across the board. Everyone in the team is a pleasure to work with.’
‘The lawyers have a vast knowledge of the Brazilian energy market due to the expertise acquired over the years they have been supporting several companies in the industry. The team provides a very high quality service. Gabriela Bezerra and Danielle Valois are excellent professionals, with vast technical and practical knowledge, punctuality and precision in their work.’
‘TRW Advogados has one of the best oil and gas practices in the market. They have experience in all sectors of the industry, both nationally and internationally, combined with solid technical knowledge.’
Shell Brasil Petróleo
BP Energy do Brasil
PTT Exploration and Production LLC
BassDrill Brasil serviços de petróleo
Diamond offshore drilling
Instituto Brasileiro de Petróleo – IBP
Associação de Empresas de Transporte de Gás Natural por Gasoduto – ATGÁS
- Assisted RWE Supply & Trading with the contribution of DBO’s equity interest in SPE Macau to 3R Petroleum.
- Acted as Brazilian counsel to Kraton Corporation in all corporate, regulatory, contractual and tax matters involving the global sale of Kraton Corporation’s Cariflex business unit to South Korea-based conglomerate Daelim Industrial, for a purchase price of $530m.
- Advised Rhone Capital V on the regulatory, public law and oil and gas industry contractual aspects of the carve out of the DRILCO business in Macaé, as part of a global acquisition of the segment of drilling, inspection and maintenance of drilling equipment.
The oil and gas department at Demarest Advogados focuses on work pertaining to transactions and regulatory issues, and often assists international clients in bidding rounds. It regularly acts in close collaboration with other firm-wide practices, including tax, competition, environment and litigation, to advise oil and gas players facing an array of legal challenges. Transactions related to onshore exploration and production and fuel distribution matters are other key areas of activity for the Rio de Janeiro-based team, which is led by ‘outstanding lawyer‘ João Luis Almeida. The practice head has substantial experience in M&A and financing transactions in the sector, and Roberta Batalha is noted for regulatory and transactional work. Since publication, the firm was given a major boost by the arrival of David Meiler and Bárbara Bittencourt from Campos Mello Advogados, in October 2021.
João Luis Almeida
‘In addition to their excellent legal work, João Luis Almeida, the head of the team we worked with, demonstrated to be one of the most commercially oriented lawyers I have seen in my life. He helped us navigate very complex negotiations with internal and external stakeholders. Every single member of the team was super committed and had an extraordinary sense of interpersonal skills. All members of the team put the needs of their clients first with a strong focus on the individuals’ specific needs.’
‘Our principal interaction with Demerest was through João Luis Almeida. João and Demarest have provided legal support and leadership for several years where they advised on a myriad of complex acquisition and divestment, regulatory and transaction engagements. João is an outstanding individual and lawyer. I’ve worked with law firms across North America, South America and Europe and João and his team are on par or superior to other law firms.’
‘I am fully satisfied with the quality of the service provided, as well as the professionals participating in the processes that I consider to be top-notch.’
Petrom Produção de Petróleo e Gás
Companhia de Gás do Estado de São Paulo – COMGAS
Associação das Distribuidoras de Combustíveis – Brasilcom
World Fuel (Terrana)
Larco Comercial de Produtos de Petróleo
Petroleum Geo-Services (PGS)
- Advised QPI Brasil Petróleo on the acquisition of blocks C-M-541, C-M-659 and C-M-713.
- Assisted Duna Energia in the acquisition of a 100% participating interest in the rights and obligations derived from the concession contracts related to Redonda and Ponta do Mel Field.
- Advised Petrom Produção de Petróleo & Gás on the acquisition of 50% participating interest of Rabo Branco Field.
Based in Rio de Janeiro, Lefosse Advogados‘ oil and gas team demonstrates particular strength in regulatory and transactional matters. With a proven track record in divestments and M&A deals involving oil and gas assets, the group is also proficient in refinery sales, fuel distribution businesses and natural gas processing agreements. Practice head Felipe Boechem, who has a strong background in cross-border mandates, is adept in all market segments, gas transportation and monetisation projects. Since publication, project finance and development expert Miriam Signor joined the firm from Stocche Forbes Advogados, in April 2022.
‘Lefosse Advogado has one of the best energy teams in the market, offering extensive experience and expertise in highly complex projects and transactions. The practical and effective solutions invariably proposed by the office are really impressive.’
‘Felipe Boechem is a rising star in the market. He combines a solid academic background with extensive international experience in the sector, being able to really understand the demands of clients and create appropriate legal strategies.’
New Fortress Energy
Petróleo Brasileiro – Petrobras
Petrogal Brasil – Galp
Companhia de Gás do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul – SULGAS
BP Energy do Brasil
BW Offshore do Brasil
Total Brasil Distribuidora
Great Holding Group
Nova Transportadora do Sudeste – NTS
Instituto Brasileiro de Petróleo e Gás – IBP (Brazilian Petroleum and Gas Institute)
- Advising Petrobras and Transpetro in connection with the sale of Refinaria Landulpho Alves and associated logistic assets.
- Advised Petrobras on the sale of Liquigás Distribuidora – a gas distribution company – to Copagaz Distribuidora de Gás and Nacional Gás Butano Distribuidora.
- Assisted Petrogal Brasil in the negotiation of infrastructure sharing agreements for the offloading of natural gas from pre-salt offshore fields and natural gas processing agreements with Petrobras, Shell and Repsol.
Stocche Forbes Advogados is primarily active in financing and corporate transactions involving oil and gas companies and assets. In addition, the group often advises clients in relation to public bids and administrative matters, as well as construction and off-take agreements. The department – which is split between São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro – is under the joint leadership of five practitioners: Guilherme Forbes specialises in M&A and financing deals involving the oil and gas industry; Frederico Moura focuses on transactional, contractual and regulatory matters; Bruno Gandolfo is recommended for M&A in regulated sectors; and Mariana Saragoça is noted for public procurement and regulatory matters. Since publication, Miriam Signor left the firm, in April 2022.
Guilherme Forbes; Frederico Moura; Bruno Gandolfo Damico; Mariana Saragoça
‘The Stocche Forbes Team is attentive, has attention to detail, is practical, holistic and fair. One of the best legal teams I have worked with in my career. They have superb understanding of commercial law, tax, finance and have provided us with excellent legal advice throughout the process of our complex transaction during the Covid-19 pandemic.’
Syndicate of Secured Lenders composed of Citibank, BNP Paribas, ING Capital and others
ATEM’s Distribuidora de Petróleo
- Acted as Brazilian counsel to Morgan Stanley for the refinancing of the FPSO Cidade de Itajaí, operated by a joint venture controlled by the Ocyan and Altera Infrastructure groups.
- Advised Petro Rio Group in connection with the issuance of senior secured notes by Petrorio Luxembourg in the total amount of $450m.
- Assisted the consortium formed by Engie, GDFI and CDPQ in the acquisition of the remaining 10% stake in Transportadora Associada de Gás
With deep regulatory knowledge of the downstream, midstream and upstream sectors, the oil and gas practice at Veirano Advogados receives regular instructions from clients engaged in bid procedures launched by Petrobras. The group is recognised for its significant experience in advising hydrocarbons companies on tax planning and tax regimes in Brazil. Other typical mandates include sector-related environmental licensing, M&A and greenfield project development. 'Standout individual' Ali El Hage Filho is a seasoned practitioner in M&A and financing deals involving the oil and gas industry. He jointly leads the practice with tax specialist Andre Carvalho and Rogério Campos, who focuses on corporate and contractual matters.
Ali Hage; Andre Carvalho; Rogério Campos
‘The team at Veirano is excellent. Always available at short notice for any assistance related to legal matters. The team is very professional.’
‘In our view, Veirano has a strong team that can meet our needs not only in regulatory/JV matters in the oil & gas industry, but also in tax, environmental, labor and immigration. Their lawyers usually work in an integrated basis with good results. Ali El Hage Filho brings immense practical knowledge from his in-house days, providing the most useful, clear, and commercially sound advice.’
‘Very good firm in oil and gas matters. They have the right mix of specialisation and broad general corporate support.’
‘This firm is unique due to its great tradition in several areas, but I can only speak about the quality of the team of partner Ali El Hage Filho in contractual matters and intellectual property. The quality of the work was excellent and the availability to clarify queries, even after delivery, was also great.’
‘Ali El Hage Filho is a standout individual. Personal attention given to customers, cordiality in communication and in the provision of services, as well as the attention to detail in consultations.’
‘Great knowledge of the market. Ali El Hage Filho is a competent professional with deep knowledge of the oil and gas market.’
Compass Gás e Energia
IBP – Instituto Brasileiro de Petróleo, Gás e Biocombustíveis
Bluewater Energy Services
DeepWater Corrosion Services
- Acted as counsel to Compass Gás e Energia in the competitive process for the lease of a regasification terminal in the coast of Bahia from Petrobras.
- Assisted Pulse Monitoramento Estrutural (part of the Acteon Group) in a Petrobras bid for system installation, monitoring and post-processing services in relation to field data from drilling risers and surface systems.
- Advised Intermoor (part of the Acteon Group) on a Petrobras bid, in which Petrobras acted as block operator on behalf of Consortium Libra_P1, for hiring engineering design services, pre-launch and supply of goods for the anchoring lines for the FPSO Sepetiba.