Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados has an impressive banking and finance practice, which handles a mix of high-end transactional and regulatory work. The firm’s lawyers have vast expertise across a wide range of transactional types, including acquisition and asset financings, distressed debt, trade finance and corporate loans. Additionally, the firm has built a strong platform for regulatory advice, particularly in the payments and fintech space, where it has represented Ant Group/Alibaba on a range of related issues. Maurício Teixeira Dos Santos and Alexandre Gossn Barreto are two of the lead partners for regulatory matters, as well as broader financings, where fellow partners Ana Paula Calil, Joaquim De Oliviera and Daniel Laudisio have also established notable practices.
Banking and finance in Brazil
Daniel Laudisio; Mauricio Santos; Alexandre Barreto
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce – CIBC
Ant Group/Alipay Brazil
Bank of America
Natura & Co Holding /Natura Cosméticos
Copagaz Distribuidora de Gás
- Advised OakTree Capital Management, as senior lender, and TMF Brasil, as local collateral agent, on a $750m tranche B DIP Financing extended to Latam Airlines.
- Provided advice to CPFL Energia on a R$960m financing from BNP Paribas, to help finance the acquisition of CEEE-D, the energy distribution company of the state of Rio Grande do Sul.
- Advised the lenders – Bradesco, UBS and BTG Pactual – on a R$300m financing to Elea Digital, guaranteed by the shareholders of the borrower, to help acquire Oi’s data centres in the context of Oi’s judicial restructuring.
Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados is commended for the ‘availability and proactivity‘ of its ‘super technical lawyers‘, who have established trusted relationships with some of the largest domestic and international banks operating in Brazil. The multi-faceted practice handles a broad range of transactional and regulatory mandates, including cross-border bond offerings, acquisition and project financings, and support on structured products and refinancings. Coupled with this is an increasing amount of advice to fintech and payments companies. Adriano Schnur has taken over leadership of the practice from the highly experienced Nei Schilling Zelmanovits, who remains a key contact for complex financings. Other lead partners include Eduardo Avila de Castro for regulatory matters and Renato Gomes Ribeiro Maggio for debt restructuring and special situations. The versatile Rafael Carretero has also developed a good name in the field of banking and finance.
‘The team is composed of super technical lawyers with availability and proactivity.’
‘They are always up to date and aware of the latest developments, dividing this knowledge and allowing us to increase our operations. In addition, they always work efficiently and within the (tight) deadlines we need.’
Mercado Pago/Mercado Crédito (Mercado Livre Group)
IDB – Interamerican Development Bank
IFC – International Finance Corporation
NDB – New Development Bank
CEF – Caixa Econômica Federal
Fundo Garantidor de Crédito (FGC)
- Advising Banco J.P. Morgan and JPMorgan Chase Bank on a loan to finance Mubadala’s $4.6bn acquisition of an oil refinery from Petrobras.
- Assisted Morgan Stanley Senior Funding and Wilmington Trust, National Association, as lenders, administrative agent, and collateral agent, on the Brazilian law aspects of two global syndicated $3.4bn loan transactions to Hyperion Insurance and Howden Group Holdings.
- Advising Banco BTG Pactual, Citigroup Global Markets, and Morgan Stanley & Co. on the Brazilian law aspects of a $900m bond issue and associated guarantees by Oi and Oi Movel as part of Oi’s reorganisation plan.
Mattos Filho has a leading multidisciplinary banking and finance practice, which covers all corners of the market. The team regularly assists lenders and borrowers on novel financings such as sustainability-linked revolving credit facilities, and other product types including securitisations, debt capital markets, project, trade and acquisition finance. The firm stands out for its corporate, fintech and regulatory work, which combined to good effect when advising the underwriters on Nubank’s ground-breaking $2.6bn global IPO. Among the partners, clients single out the ‘always available‘ Frederico Kerr Bullamah, and Flavia Magliozzi for her ‘proactivity, objectivity and refined technique‘. Bruno Tuca regularly handles major debt transactions, while Marina Anselmo Schneider is strong in structured finance. Pablo Sorj is active on the project finance side. Pedro Eroles is no longer at the firm.
Bruno Tuca; Frederico Kerr Bullamah; Marina Anselmo Schneider; Pablo Sorj
‘The main differential of the firm is the availability of the partner. Frederico Kerr Bullamah is always available to directly resolve the companies’ questions.’
‘Flavia Magliozzi – proactivity, objectivity and refined technique.’
Geru Sociedade De Crédito Direto
Goldman Sachs do Brasil Banco Múltiplo
Google Brasil Internet
MI Pagamentos do Brasil
Stone Instituição de Pagamento
Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica – CCEE
Inter-American Development Bank – IADB
Banco Itaú BBA
XP Corretora de Cambio Títulos e Valores Imobiliário
Nordex Energy Brasil – Comércio e Indústria de Equipamentos
Société de Promotion et de Participation pour la Coopération Economique – Proparco
DEG – Deutsche Investitions- Und Entwicklungsgesellschaft
GOL Linhas Aéreas Inteligentes
QATAR Airways Investments
Farallon Latin America
TAG Tecnologia para o Sistema Financeiro
- Advised the underwriters on the $2.6bn IPO of Nubank, which included a milestone offering of BDRs in Brazil.
- Advised Inter-American Investment Corporation and Banco Pan on a $150m financing to Banco Pan.
- Acted as counsel to Klabin and Klabin Austria, in Klabin’s $500m Sustainability-Linked Revolving Credit Facility Agreement agreed with Cooperative Rabobank, Banco Santander, Sumitomo Mitsui Bank, J.P. Morgan, Bank of America, Citibank, Itaú Unibanco and Mizuho Bank.
Pinheiro Guimarães is a top choice for high-profile domestic and cross-border financings. The firm acts for a broad range of leading private and institutional creditors, including banks, governments and development agencies, as well as corporate borrowers. This includes regular involvement on some of the largest structured, project and acquisition financings on the market. Lead partners Francisco José Pinheiro Guimarães and Plinio Pinheiro Guimarães N respectively lead the team from the firm’s offices in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Other key partners include Ivie Moura Alves for structured syndicated loans and debt capital markets and Fábio Yanitchkis Couto for distressed debt situations. Roberta Pimentel is particularly active in infrastructure, energy and natural resources-related financings.
Plinio Pinheiro Guimarães N; Francisco José Pinheiro Guimarães
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
B3 – Brasil, Bolsa, Balcão
Suzano Papel e Celulose
Moneda Asset Management
Redwood Capital Management
Rimrock Capital Management
EDF Energies Nouvelles
- Advised a syndicate of lenders led by Goldman Sachs, Temasek, Bain Capital Credit, Crestline and Oaktree in connection with a €750m loan granted to payments company SumUp Holdings Luxembourg.
- Advised Vale on a R$11.5bn secondary public offering of non-convertible subordinated participating debentures.
- Assisting several banks, including Banco BNP Paribas Brasil, Banco Bradesco and Banco BTG Pactualon, on the R$7bn debt restructuring of Biosev and Biosev Bioenergia.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados' ‘huge technical and market knowledge' makes it one of the first destinations for ground-breaking transactional and regulatory matters. The firm remained busy during 2021 and 2022 in the booming payments and fintech space, where it has advised on some of the market’s largest transactions, including the IPO of digital bank Nubank. On the financing side, the team also assists major banks on a range of products, including debt capital markets, project and acquisition finance, and real estate and agribusiness debentures. Bruno Balduccini is one of the lead regulatory partners, while Jose Luiz Homem de Mello brings ‘extensive experience' in transactional matters. Fernando Ruiz de Almeida Prado is a key contact for structured products, while Yuka Ono heads the active Japan desk. Recently promoted partners Tatiana Mello Guazzelli and Raphael Palmieri Salomão are also developing strong reputations.
‘I consider Pinheiro Neto a reference in the banking sector.’
‘The firm has an extensive knowledge of market operations that has contributed to the development of projects, anticipating situations that were previously experienced and were or were not successful. The firm also has knowledge of the company’s own operations as it has carried out several projects over time.’
‘José Luiz Homem de Mello has extensive experience and network with several players in the area that brings security and knowledge about the projects developed.’
‘The banking team led by Fernando Mirandez has huge technical and market knowledge, they always bring interesting solutions and proposals.’
- Advising J.P. Morgan on its strategic agreement with Brazilian digital bank C6 Bank and its founding partners, including its acquisition of a 40% stake.
- Advised funds managed by Advent International in the $400m investment in Ebanx, a Brazilian payments fintech.
- Advised Nu Holdings and other companies from Nubank’s group, including Nu Pagamentos and NuInvest, on Nubank’s $2.8bn IPO, which saw the digital bank listed on the NYSE and B3.
BMA – Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão is a popular destination for major corporate borrowers seeking support on their most complex financings. Recently, this has included advice on high-value cross-border restructurings and DIP financings, as well as asset-backed securitisations, acquisition financings and project finance mandates. The firm has also developed strong relationships with several leading banks, including BTG Pactual. The versatile practice head Camila Goldberg is experienced in structured financings and capital markets work, while partner Rafael D’Avila Dutra has notable project finance credentials. Anna Carolina Malta maintains an active practice advising investment funds and fund managers on related matters.
BHP Billiton Group
Agence Française de Dévéloppement
BHG S.A. – Brazil Hospitality Group
Creditas Soluções Financeiras
Alter Domus (US)
Leste Global Investments
Enforce Gestão de Ativos
Urca Capital Partners
- Advised Brasil Telecom Comunicação Multimídia, an indirect subsidiary of Oi, on a convertible R$2.5bn debenture issue.
- Advising BHP Billiton as a shareholder on the restructuring of Samarco Mineração’s banking and capital markets debt and the negotiation of a debtor-in-possession (DIP) facility from the shareholders to Samarco.
- Acted as deal counsel to Creditas Soluções Financeiras in several high-value home equity loan securitisations.
Demarest Advogados is considered by its banking clients to be ‘unique in its technical quality, in-depth knowledge of the subject and close relationships'. The well-regarded team has a good reputation for regulatory advice to banks, funds and fintechs, with practice head Fabio de Almeida Braga commended for being ‘excellent in the management of complex processes and technical knowledge'. On the transactional side, the firm advises on syndicated loans, project and trade finance, securitisations and structured products. Senior associate Marcelo Ikeziri is a key member of the team. Former partner Helen Naves left the firm in 2021.
Fabio de Almeida Braga
‘What makes Demarest unique is its technical quality, in-depth knowledge of the subject and close relationships. The firm collaborates directly with ideas beyond the execution of the contracted work.’
‘Technical knowledge, availability to help and solve problems regardless of time.’
‘Fabio Braga – excellent in the management of complex processes and technical knowledge.’
NH Latam Investments & Securities
Mosaico Negócios de Internet
Creditas Soluções Financeiras
StartMeUp Crowdfunding Sistema para Investimentos Colaborativos
PNC Bank, National Association
Bank of America
B3 S.A. Brasil, Bolsa, Balcão, Mercadorias e Futuros
Companhia de Geração e Transmissão de Energia Elétrica do Sul do Brasil – Eletrobras CGT Eletrosul
China Development Bank
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Moksha8 Brasil Distribuidora e Representação de Medicamentos
Bank of China Luxembourg Branch
Moto Honda da Amazônia S.A. Banco Honda
Banco Crédit Agricole Brasil
PGS Investigação Petrolífera
Banco BTG Pactual
Osher & Osher Administração de Imóveis
- Advised Smart RJ and its shareholders (Green Luce, High Trend Brasil, Proteres, ARC e Salberg) and Rio Smart Lighting (Rio Smart) on the issuance, by Rio Smart, of senior secured notes.
- Assisting Syngenta Proteção de Cultivos on the examination and negotiation of terms for the Moonshoot Project, designed to help finance farmers in restoring environmentally degraded land.
- Advising Gol Linhas Aéreas on a R$610m debenture offering.
Lefosse Advogados has placed a significant emphasis on its banking practice, which has seen considerable growth in recent years. The transactional side is particularly strong, with partners highly experienced in debt capital markets, securitisations, and structured, asset and project finance. This includes advice on cross-border financings and restructurings. The firm also has a notable track record in the payments and fintech space, supported by a solid grounding in financial services regulation. The deep bench of partners includes Roberto Zarour for structured finance, and Kenneth Antunes Ferreira, Renata Cardoso and Ricardo Prado for a variety of finance products and regulatory issues. The recruitment of Miriam Signor from Stocche Forbes Advogados added further experience to the team, particularly in real estate and project finance.
Ricardo Prado; Renata Cardoso; Roberto Zarour Filho; Kenneth Antunes Ferreira
PayPal Serviços de Pagamentos
Bank of America
- Acted as Brazilian counsel to Mercuria Energy Trading on its $45m loan to Karavan SPE Cricaré, a joint venture formed by Karavan O&G Participações e Consultoria and Seacrest Capital Group to finance its acquisition of the Cricare Cluster of assets from Petrobras.
- Advised Banco Volkswagen on its 9th issuance of financial notes worth R$750m.
- Acted as special counsel in Brazil to Morgan Stanley & Co. in FS Luxembourg’s $80m senior note offering.
TozziniFreire Advogados has a versatile banking group, which is noted for its ‘customised solutions‘. The firm is especially strong in regulatory matters, where it represents a mix of fintech companies, payments providers and banks on a range of related issues, including licensing and partnership agreements. The firm’s transactional practice was also boosted by the arrival of Ricardo Stuber from KLA Advogados; he is particularly experienced in Real Estate Receivables certificates. The team has also been involved in several novel social impact-related financings. The practice is led by the ‘extremely attentive, proactive and agile‘ Alexei Bonamin, with recently promoted partner Marcus Fonseca especially active on the fintech front. Pedro Eroles, whose practice focuses on fintech, payment regulation and cryptocurrency matters, joined from Mattos Filho in August 2022.
‘The team’s ability to seek customised solutions, in addition to the support that the brand offers, offers peace of mind for our partners.’
‘Alexei Bonamin, Marcus Fonseca – Extremely attentive, proactive and agile.’
Agricultural Bank of China
Bank of New York Mellon
Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul (Banrisul)
United States International Development Finance Corporation – DFC
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Bank of America Corporation
Banco Société Générale Brasil
Decolar / Koin
Raidiam Services Limited
- Advised Discovery on implementing its payment structure for the subscription of the Discovery+ streaming services in Brazil.
- Advised Blue Like an Orange Sustainable Capital and Órigo Energia on the first issuance of R$106m in non-convertible debentures to help broaden access to affordable clean energy to SMEs.
- Advised Raidiam, a fintech company responsible for delivering a suitable trust framework for Open Banking Systems, during the negotiations of an agreement that will regulate the duties and obligations of Raidiam when rendering its services in Brazil.
Veirano Advogados offers considerable expertise across a wide variety of domestic and cross-border financings. The firm has particularly notable experience in major transport, energy and infrastructure-related deals, where it represents major banks and multilateral lenders on ship and project finance. Structured products, debt capital markets and acquisition finance mandates also feature prominently in the firm’s workload. Rio de Janeiro-based partner Marcelo Mattos leads the team, with strong support from projects head Ana Carolina Barretto in São Paulo. Other key partners include Rogério Campos for ship finance, and Lior Pinsky for capital markets.
Marcelo Mattos; Ana Carolina Barretto
DEG – Deutsche Investitions-Und Entwicklungsgesellschaft
Société De Promotion et de Participation pour la Coopération Economique
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
Weatherford Indústria e Comércio
DVB Bank America
- Advising 14 international financial institutions in a major restructuring, involving over 45 vessels and almost €3bn in debt.
- Advised HSBC and other finance parties on the $670m syndicated facility for the financing of the floating production storage and offloading unit Anna Nery, which will be chartered to Petrobras and operated by Yinson Boronia.
- Advising the Brazilian Development Bank – BNDES, Banco BNP Paribas and several additional Brazilian and international financial institutions, in connection with the financing of the R$15bn construction and operation of the São Paulo subway Line 6 project.
Stocche Forbes Advogados is experienced across a wide range of debt transactions, from complex acquisition financings and structured products through to high-profile debenture offerings and project finance mandates. Clients of the firm benefit from its deep bench of partners, including Marcos Ribeiro for debt capital markets, and versatile name partner Guilherme Forbes, Henrique Filizzola and Bruno Gandolfo. The project finance side, which also includes Frederico Moura, was further boosted by the arrival of new partner Marco Aurélio Saliba, a former in-house counsel at Proton Energia. Former partner Miriam Signor left the firm in April 2022.
Guilherme Forbes; Henrique Filizzola; Marcos Ribeiro
Engie Brasil Energia
Banco Itau BBA
Teekay Offshore Partners
Banco BTG Pactual
Banco BNP Paribas
Banco Abc Brasil
Hong Kong Mortgage Corporation
- Advising IP Sul Concessionária de Iluminação Pública on its R$80m public offering of debentures.
- Acted as legal counsel to Banco Santander and Banco Modal on a R$350m debenture offering by TESC – Terminal Santa Catarina to finance the construction and expansion of port facilities.
- Advised Casa dos Ventos and Banco Alfa de Investimento, Banco Santander, Banco Votorantim, Banco do Brasil, Banco Itau and Banco BNP Paribas on a series of financings to help develop the Rio dos Ventos Wind Complex.
Tauil & Chequer Advogados has a good track record for cross-border financings, and its association with Mayer Brown gives it the ability to ‘meet demands that involve different laws'. In addition to major financings, the firm is also active in the fintech and payments space. Clients appreciate the team’s ‘high-quality and timely‘ service and ‘very well-balanced sense of priorities'. Versatile practice head Eduardo Lima has strong credentials for assisting sponsors, lenders and government agencies in project financings. Luis Montes is ‘very complete, not only technically speaking but also with respect to interactions in general‘. Priscilla Santos is particularly experienced in regulatory matters.
‘Rendering of services in a high-quality and timely manner, always bearing in mind the specifics and dynamics of certain transactions and with a very well balanced sense of priorities and urgencies.’
‘Luis Montes – in my opninion, he is one of the best attorneys in Brazil. Luis is very complete, not only technically speaking but also with respect to interactions in general (meetings, negotiations, etc.).’
‘Because they have international offices, they are able to meet demands that involve different laws.’
‘I recommend the work of partners Priscilla Santos and Eduardo Lima.’
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Banco BTG Pactual
Banco Itau BBA
Bank of China
Goldman Sachs do Brasil Banco Múltiplo
Yapay Pagamentos Online
Hub Fintech Gestão De Sistemas
- Advised Goldman Sachs on a R$400m investment in a credit right investment fund (FIDC) established by Goldman Sachs together with one of Mercado Livre’s entities in Brazil.
- Assisted Rabobank, Credit Agricole, Société Générale, BNP Paribas, Natixis, ING and ABN AMRO as lenders in the restructuring of several existing syndicated loans granted to the Biosev Group.
- Advised Banco Santander (Brasil) in a $150m subscription line financing for the invested entities of Vinci Capital Partners Fund III.
Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper has a versatile practice, and can regularly be found assisting clients in a mix of regulatory and transactional matters. The firm’s international reach ensures a good flow of cross-border transactions for major banks, multilateral agencies, private credit funds, financial services companies and borrowers. Lead partners include Roberto Vianna do R Barros, who has a varied practice, embracing capital markets, project finance and structured finance, as well as regulatory advice, and Jorge Gallo, who is experienced in debt capital markets, non-performing loans, securitisations and restructurings.
Roberto Vianna do R Barros; Jorge Gallo
Starboard Restructuring Partners Consultoria em Negócios
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Banco RCI Brasil
Grupo Rio Alto
Aymoré Crédito, Financiamento e Investimentos
Hyatt Hotels Corporation
Cascione Pulino Boulos Advogados excels in matters related to payments, fintech and associated regulatory issues. The firm represents a broad mix of banks, financial institutions and disruptive technology providers on the full suite of issues, including product launches and partnership agreements. Transactional work also features prominently, with a steady flow of work for banks in secured transactions, syndicated loans and project financings. Founding partner Fábio de Souza Aranha Cascione is the key contact for financings alongside recently promoted partner Gabriel Capella. Marcelo Padua Lima handles the payments, foreign exchange and regulatory side.
Fabio Cascione; Marcelo Padua Lima; Gabriel Capella
Banco Itaú BBA
Mi Pagamentos do Brasil
Google Brasil Pagamentos
Ipiranga Produtos de Petróleo
Leroy Merlin Companhia Brasileira de Bricolagem
OLX Meios de Pagamento
Market Pay Brasil
- Advised Banco Itaú BBA as lead underwriter of R$600m in Financial Bills issued by Banco Toyota do Brasil.
- Advising Google Brasil Pagamentos regarding payment schemes, payments, foreign exchange regulation and other matters.
- Advising C&A Modas in the launch of the C&A Pay project, including assistance on payments regulation.
Dias Carneiro Advogados is noted for its ‘excellent market and technical knowledge‘. The firm’s clients include a mix of international banks and multilateral lenders, which instruct the firm on a variety of financings and debt restructurings. This extends to acquisition, trade and project finance, often linked to key sectors such as energy, natural resources and agribusiness, where the team also represents several borrowers. The team is a popular Brazilian co-counsel for international law firms, and practice head Thiago Vallandro Flores is ‘a great lawyer, widely recognised in the market for his expertise‘. Paulo Leme and associate Fernanda Savorelli Melhem are also noted.
Thiago Vallandro Flores
‘Excellent market and technical knowledge.’
‘Thiago Vallandro Flores is very experienced on the banking side. I highly recommend him as he is very knowledgeable and always available to help with any problem that arises.’
‘Thiago Vallandro Flores is a great lawyer, widely recognised in the market for his expertise and very easy to work with.’
‘Paulo Leme – vast market and legal knowledge.’
‘Fernanda Savorelli Melhem – excellent management, and organisation of documents.’
‘I’d highlight Ricardo Sanchez and Paulo Leme.’
Inter-American Development Bank / Inter-American Investment Corporation
China Development Bank Corporation
Banco KEB Hana
USJ – Açúcar e Álcool
International Finance Corporation
Corporación Interamericana para el Financiamiento de Infraestructura
- Advised IDB and IDB Invest on the new $300m tranche to Banco Daycoval.
- Advised DEG and PROPARCO on a $40m loan granted to Banco Industrial do Brasil.
- Advised IDB, IDB Invest and DNB on a joint $70m loan loan to Atlas Renewable Energy.
Lobo de Rizzo Advogados
Lobo de Rizzo Advogados represents borrowers and lenders in a wide range of transactions, including syndicated loans, acquisition finance and debt restructurings. The firm is particularly active in financings in the energy and infrastructure space, including deals linked to solar and wind power. Key partners include Fabrizio De Oliveira Sasdelli, Milton Pinatti and Maria Costa Neves Machado, who is experienced on the debt capital markets side. Recently promoted partner Gustavo Cunha is also developing a good practice.
Fabrizio de Oliveira Sasdelli
Hidrovias International Finance
Nova Olinda e Lapa (CGN – Brasil Energia e Participações)
CGN Santa Vitória do Palmar
MEZ 1 Energia
CGN Complexo Morrinhos
Lagoa do Barro (CGN)
Ace Capital – Rising Stars
- Assistance to Itaú BBA USA Securities, J.P Morgan Securities, BOFA Securities, Morgan Stanley and Santander Investment Securities as underwriters in the $500m bond offering by Hidrovias International Finance.
- Assistance to CGN Brasil Energia e Participações in the renewal of bank guarantees issued by Banco Santander (Brasil) concerning solar power projects.
- Assistance to CGN Complexo Morrinhos Energias Renováveis on the R$102m issuance and renewal of bank guarantees by Banco Santander (Brasil).
Vidigal Neto Advogados
Vidigal Neto Advogados represents a broad mix of banks and financial services companies, including investment funds and their senior executives. Name partner Rubens Vidigal Neto is a prominent figure in the market, and the firm is especially strong in strategic regulatory matters, often in conjunction with product and fund launches and related corporate transactions. The team has a notable track record in the fintech and payments sphere, and also advises on debt capital markets, including asset-backed debentures. Practice co-head Fernanda Mary Sonoki is active on the transactional side.
Rubens de Camargo Vidigal Neto; Fernanda Mary Sonoki
National Association of Participants in Trade Receivables Funds (ANFIDC)
Banco Itaú BBA
XP Investimentos CCTVM
Omni S.A. Crédito, Financiamento e Investimento
CREDZ Administradora de Cartões de Crédito
Fortbrasil Administradora de Cartões de Crédito
- Advised WNT Gestora de Recursos, an asset manager focused on receivables funds, and its controlling shareholder and a prominent local executive, on the incorporation of a broker-dealer.
- Assisted Singulare, a local broker-dealer and asset manager, and its controlling shareholder, in the sale of Singulare’s portfolio of clients to XP Investimentos Corretora de Câmbio, Títulos e Valores Mobiliários.
Candido Martins Advogados
Candido Martins Advogados has developed a good reputation for providing transactional finance advice to borrowers across a wide range of industries. This includes support on complex debt refinancings, asset-backed securitisations, local bond issues, and acquisition and leveraged finance. 2021 was a busy year, with the firm helping negotiate over R$1.5bn in debt market transactions. Renata Simon leads the practice, which includes corporate head and founding partner Henrique Martins. Daniel Rodrigues Alves is also experienced in the leveraged finance and private equity side.
Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional – CSN
Intercement South Africa
CNA – Companhia Nacional De Alcool
Selfit Academias Holding
Natural One Gestão Patrimonial
Enc Energy Brasil e Participações
Hemisfério Sul Investimentos
Riza Asset Management
Cerc Central De Recebíveis
- Advised Intercement Group on the issuance of R$1bn in debentures to professional investors in a cross-border deal that formed part of the company’s debt refinancing strategy.
- Advised Cerc Central de Recebíveis on a private placement of debentures that was entirely subscribed to by an investment fund managed by Riza Asset Management.
- Advised Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional (CSN) on the leveraged buyout of Metalgráfica Iguaçú.
Felsberg Advogados has invested into its banking and finance practice in recent years. The recruitment of Ricardo Higashitani as partner from KLA Advogados added experience in areas such as cross-border syndicated loans. The practice has traditionally been strong in project and aviation finance, areas in which Maria Da Graça Pedretti is particularly active, and represents major banks, multilateral lenders and borrowers. The team also represents clients in administrative proceedings before the key regulators in the financial services industry.
Maria da Graça Pedretti; Ricardo Higashitani
Bank Leumi USA
Grupo Standard Bank
Banco Bari de Investimentos e Financiamentos
Gryps Empreendimentos Imobiliários
FCT Combustão Brasil Importação e Exportação
ARMCO do Brasil
- Advised Bank Leumi USA on a secured credit facility to Technisys and the creation of security interest over the equity interest held in the Brazilian entity, Technisys do Brasil Desenvolvimento de Software Bancário.
- Assisted Renova Energia and other companies in the group (as borrowers), on the early termination of the DIP financing granted under the coordination of Quadra Gestao de Recursos for the completion of Phase A of the Alto Sertão III Project.
- Advising textile company Malwee Malhas on a R$540m debt restructuring.
Focaccia, Amaral e Lamonica Advogados (FAS Advogados)
Focaccia, Amaral e Lamonica Advogados (FAS Advogados) has ‘a highly qualified team', which has ‘been working brilliantly with Brazilian regulators in the area of banks and fintechs'. Clients include major banks, start-ups and international fintech and payments companies, which use the firm on the full range of related regulatory and commercial issues. Name partner Paulo Mertz Focaccia is ‘extremely strategic and always understands the needs of his clients', while Vicente Piccoli Medeiros Braga is ‘a top-flight finance and fintech partner', noted for his ‘efficiency, knowledge, and responsiveness’.
Paulo Mertz Focaccia; Vicente Piccoli Medeiros Braga
‘Vicente Piccoli Medeiros Braga is a top-flight finance and fintech partner. We are very happy with his efficiency, knowledge, and responsiveness. He has an impressive breadth of knowledge and experience.’
‘Focaccia, Amaral and Lamonica Sociedade de Advogados has been working brilliantly with Brazilian regulators in the area of banks and fintechs. It has a highly qualified team prepared to act, in several areas of legal knowledge, with the constant innovations of the financial system bringing solidity to proposals without neglecting the innovative side.’
‘Vicente Braga and his team have been precise in the guidelines related to the regulation of the Central Bank of Brazil regarding the activities of financial market infrastructure. In addition to the unique technical expertise of Vicente Braga and Pedro Duarte, the team offers exceptional client service.’
‘The individuals that stand out the most are Paulo Focaccia, Vicente Braga, Renata Homem de Mello, Leo Lopes, Juliana Porchat, Luiz Eduardo Amaral and Marcio Lamonica. Paulo Focaccia is extremely strategic and always understands the needs of his clients. The others are extremely technical in their areas, with incredible expertise.’
‘Vicente Piccoli Braga, Carla Anastácio and Débora Santos da Cunha who has presented excellent results, acting with distinction and high legal knowledge in the demands we have presented. They are professionals who show extreme competence and keep up to date with the busy regulatory environment for banks and fintechs in the country and abroad.’
‘ They are punctual, very technical and specialised.’
Banco de Lage Landen Brasil
Banco Brasileiro de Créditos
Banco Luso Brasileiro
CERC Central de Recebíveis
Santana Financeira CFI S
PagSeguro Internet Instituição de Pagamento
Tiagn – ‘Libertpay
Rapyd Brazil Soluções de Pagamento
Icredit Capital (Bava Bank)
Fundo Garantidor de Créditos – FGC
Visa do Brasil Empreendimentos
Mercado Pago Instituição de Pagamento
Novadax Brasil Pagamentos
CBSM – Companhia Brasileira de Soluções de Marketing
Paraisopolis’ Union of Residents and Merchants
Paygo Administradora de Meios de Pagamento
Payu Brasil Intermediação de Negócios
Acqio Holding Participações
Avista – Administradora de Cartões de Crédito
Sinlog Tecnologia em Logística
Ifood.com Agência de Restaurantes Online
FreteBras Internet e Serviços
Migo Serviços de Tecnologia
Inswitch Tecnologias Financeiras
Companhia Brasileira de Soluções e Serviços
Oppens Sociedade de Empréstimo entre Pessoas
Global 81 Brasil Correspondente Cambial
Sumup Sociedade de Crédito Direto
YOP do Brasil Digital
- Advising C6 Bank on regulatory issues linked to Brazil’s Open Banking system.
- Assisting global vendor finance company DLL Brazil in adapting its products to digital channels and to new rules regarding the registration of collateral.
- Advising Tribanco from a regulatory standpoint on its move into digital banking, including its development of new services and products while also reviewing its existing ones.
Santos Neto Advogados acts for domestic and international banks on a broad range of financing transactions. The firm has been creditor’s counsel on several significant debt restructurings, and also advises on syndicated loans, debt capital markets and high-value trade finance deals; the team’s strong reputation in the lattermost area builds on its solid understanding of the agribusiness and commodities sectors. Domicio Dos Santos Neto is the main contact. Nicolau Nardo recently joined from the Brazilian branch of Dutch investment bank, ABN Amro, as a partner.
Domicio dos Santos Neto
Inter American Development Bank – IDB
ABN AMRO Bank
Crédit Agricole Corporate Investment Bank
- Advised Sucden in a DIP financing granted to Moreno Group to help conclude its judicial reorganisation proceeding.
- Assisted BNP Paribas in the debt restructuring of Biosev.
- Assisted Rabobank as lead arranger in a $500m facility to Sucafina and Sucafina Brasil Indústria, Comércio e Exportação.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe represents a diverse mix of domestic and international borrowers and lenders. The firm is particularly experienced in cross-border financings, debt capital markets, project finance and debt restructurings, including deals involving export credit guarantees. The team is also active in the regulatory space and regularly assists technology companies on fintech, payments and foreign exchange-related issues. Practice head Luís Ambrósio is developing a good name in the field of banking and finance.
Luis Alberto Ambrósio
- Acted as Brazilian legal advisers to China Construction Bank, acting as administrative and security agent for the pre-export facility lenders in the negotiation of a $600m novation deed to CMOC Brasil Mineração.
- Advised ANZ Bank as lead arrangers, and Citicorp as agent and security agent, on the negotiation of a $750m sustainability facility agreement to SKI Carbon Black.
- Advised Natura as borrower on a £100m facility involving an export credit guarantee from the UK government.
Vella Pugliese Buosi e Guidoni Advogados represents a broad selection of domestic and international borrowers and lenders. The firm regularly advises on acquisition and project financings, as well as syndicated loans and sector-related corporate work. The team also has an increased focus on regulatory matters for fintech companies, including advice on payment products, credit cards, joint venture agreements and banking services. Corporate finance partners Gabriella Maranesi Najjar, Denise Chachamovitz Leão de Salles and Rodrigo Vilardo Vella each have a good track record in this area. The firm’s alliance with Dentons gives it an edge in cross-border matters.
Gabriella Maranesi Najjar; Denise Chachamovitz Leão de Salles; Rodrigo Vella
‘Knowledge and quality of service.’
‘I positively highlight the availability and speed of consultations and processes that we are conducting, as well as the flexibility in adapting instruments to the Brazilian reality.’
‘We work especially with Denise Chachamovitz Leao de Salles and Fernando Henrique Lopes. From the first call we had, both of them showed that they have a high command of legal issues in the financial and banking sector, they have always had the best disposition, they respond promptly to our requests, they have a very friendly treatment, attention to detail, the quality of legal documents and opinions is excellent. We trust Denise and Fernando a lot, and we recommend them without hesitation. They are exceptional.’
Banco Santander (Brazil and Spain)
Diamond Offshore Drilling
EQI Agentes Autônomos de Investimentos
First Abu Dhabi Bank – FAB
Huf Hülsbeck & Fürst (Huf)
National Bank of Canada
- Advised First Abu Dhabi Bank (FAB) on the bid to acquire Petrobras’ Landulpho Alves refinery and associated logistics assets in the state of Bahia.
- Advising Diamond Offshore Drilling on exit facilities related to its Chapter 11 procedure.
- Advised a group of more than 50 promissory note holders on extending the maturity of their existing promissory note loans to the automotive supplier Huf Hülsbeck & Fürst (Huf).