Working in close collaboration with the firm’s dispute resolution, regulatory, corporate and finance specialists, MJM Limited's real estate group primarily assists clients with residential and commercial property acquisitions and sales, as well as mortgage issues. Notable projects and transactions span residential, recreational, resort, industrial, commercial, hotel, office and retail properties. Director Denis de Frias leads the firm’s property practice, while Hildeberto (Hil) de Frias is also experienced in property-related transactions.
Real estate in Bermuda
Led by senior counsel Michelle Stone, the team at Wakefield Quin is ‘fully informed on laws in Bermuda with respect to real estate purchases’, with particular expertise in the acquisition and development of hotels, hotel residences, and residential and commercial property. Stone is noted for her advice on high-end residential properties, hotels and bank security work, while senior counsel Scott Swainson regularly provides property-related advice to banks and other commercial lenders, developers and investors. Real estate-related restructuring transactions, the administration of condominium complexes, fractional interest acquisitions, and commercial leases are other areas of focus for the team, which also includes associate Celia Tuzo.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are fully informed on laws in Bermuda with respect to real estate purchases. Very efficient and excellent communication practices.’
‘We worked with Michelle Stone, who comes highly recommended.’
Clearwater Development Limited (Azura)
Sardis Development Ltd.
Washington Properties Limited
Shirlestone Trust/ QoE Development
Gilbert Lopes / GL Construction
Yellowfin Restaurant Group
TP Holdco/Gencom Group (Tuckers Point)
- Advised a range of local and overseas investors on the $20m acquisition of the former Surf Side Beach Club.
- Assisted Sardis with its $45m acquisition of The Pink Beach Hotel from its receivers and the financing of the redevelopment of the site to create the new Loren Hotel and associated villas.
- Assisted Washington Properties Limited with the $100m+ construction of its most recent office block, Washington House (with penthouse apartments above) and the letting the office space to various anchor tenants (reinsurance, accountancy, brokers).
The real estate team at Conyers is instructed by international and domestic clients on major commercial real estate developments, including a large volume of residential purchases and sales. Acting for a wide range of sellers and buyers, from first-time homebuyers to high-net-worth purchasers and developers, the department also focuses on leases and property financing work. The key name to note is counsel Francesca Fox, who heads up the Bermuda property department.
Gencom Acquisition LLC
Bermuda Skyport Corporation Limited
Hamilton Properties Limited
Hotelco SRB Holdings Limited
- Advised Hotelco Bermuda Holding Limited on the acquisition from the Government of Bermuda of long leasehold interest in vacant land for construction of a new luxury hotel complex and associated residential accommodation, dealing with associated development financing and sale of hotel residences.
- Advised MND Properties Limited on the acquisition of an office building for redevelopment to create a mixed-use rental and leisure/office building.
- Advised Gencom Acquisition LLC on the acquisition of Fairmont Southampton Princess Hotel and renovation.
Lorren Wilson leads Cox Hallett Wilkinson Limited’s private client and real estate department, which advises a mix of domestic and international clients on residential and commercial property transactions. Highlights include commercial and residential freehold and leasehold property acquisitions and disposals, property financings and infrastructure projects.