TMT in Argentina
Baker McKenzie is widely lauded for its ‘high level of technical knowledge’ and its ability to ‘always make the client feel supported’. The group acts for an impressive raft of multinational corporations on TMT-related matters, with particular experience in technology and telecoms issues — both regulatory and transactional. The firm is also distinguished by its record in regional and cross-border matters, as well as its strength in key supplementary practice areas, including data protection, consumer law and fintech. Guillermo Cervio is noted for his ‘very particular business touch’ and advises on the full spread of TMT matters, with an emphasis on technology. Francisco Fernández Rostello, who sits in the banking and finance group, also has experience in regulatory and transactional TMT issues, with a focus on fintech.
‘The team at Baker McKenzie has a high level of technical knowledge, which gives clients confidence in its advice.’
‘The team’s strength is that they always make the client feel supported. They respond immediately to queries and give you a time range of how long it will take to receive substantive responses.’
‘They compare favourably with other firms as they work as a team, with a leading partner in practice and associates specialised in different specific topics.’
‘Guillermo Cervio provides a high level and quality of assistance and legal support in technology issues, with a very particular business touch that makes his recommendations fit perfectly into what is needed to commercially solve the problem.’
Yahoo! – Oath
- Advised SAP on telecoms regulatory matters concerning the development and launch of the ‘SAP Contact Center’ in Argentina.
- Represented Twitter in a multimillion-dollar defamation lawsuit filed by a former model and public figure, concerning its alleged failure to remove defamatory or insulting tweets from her Twitter profile.
- Advised Airbnb on multi-jurisdictional legal matters related to platform immunity and liability for user-generated content.
- Advised Expedia on the local telecoms regulatory and privacy aspects of their US- based website, prior to the launch of new services in Argentina.
- Acted for Uber on a global corporate reorganisation affecting specific licenses and authorisations granted in Argentina.
Beccar Varela climbs a tier on the back of its increasing profile for TMT matters and its ‘great understanding of business’, which ensures advice ‘is not merely theoretical, but is based on practice and experience’. The firm is routinely engaged by leading names from across the TMT spectrum, including infrastructure and service providers, content developers, media and entertainment companies and software developers. Traditionally best known for its reputation in transactions, the group has also carved a niche for itself in the regulatory sphere, where it advises on both contentious and non-contentious matters. Emilio Beccar Varela specialises in TMT, IP and corporate work and is recognised for his premier experience in TMT transactions. Florencia Rosati, who co-heads the group alongside Beccar Varela, is recommended for her focus on entertainment, communications and new technologies, including data protection. Former senior associate Mariel Marcet moved to Eutelsat in March 2020.
‘EBV provides an excellent service both professionally and personally.’
‘They have very solid technical skills and a great understanding of business, which allows support and advice that is not merely theoretical, but is based on practice and experience, and is usually very well adjusted to concrete needs that are raised.’
‘We value lawyers’ professional strength and personal friendliness and empathy. Also response times and availability.’
‘The advice provided by Beccar Varela in TMT matters is highly useful and valuable. The quality of their services is extremely valuable given their fees.’
Phoenix Tower International
The Walt Disney Company Argentina
- Advised Phoenix Tower International on due diligence and negotiations with developers and sellers, in relation to the potential construction and purchase of communications towers.
- Advised Red Bull on various data privacy and data protection issues.
- Acted for SuperAwesome on the acquisition of shares in local advertising platform, Kids Corp.
- Advised Intelsat on obtaining landing rights to provide satellite facilities.
- Advised Brazil-based fintech, Nubank, on its establishment in Argentina and related data protection regulations.
Regulatory stalwart Bomchil is valued for its ‘very practical and pragmatic’ lawyers. The group is widely regarded as a leader in the telecoms and media field on the back of its work for key players, such as Telefe, AMC Networks and AT&T subsidiary, DirecTV. The department is arguably best known for its regulatory and administrative law expertise, with a strong track record in representing companies in complex litigation, including regulatory disputes, judicial cases and class actions. The firm also has strong experience in TMT-related commercial agreements and corporate transactions. Marcelo Bombau co-heads the telecoms and media practice and also sits within the M&A group; he brings to bear market-leading expertise in both regulatory and transactional matters. Administrative law specialist Francisco Gutiérrez co-leads the department and is recommended for regulatory compliance and litigation.
‘The Bomchil attorneys are very practical and pragmatic with their advice, at times acting as our in-house counsel or as a business decision maker.’
‘They are very knowledgeable in all aspects of corporate, labour and employment, and media law, and have become our one-stop shop.’
‘Marcelo Bombau and counsel Paula Beveraggi treat our company as if they are employees, and care as much as we do about our bottom line.’
TTNI US (TT Network Integration US)
Telefe – Televisión Federal
AT&T / DirecTV
- Assisted Telefe with regulatory matters related to new Congress bills aimed at including the obligation to add an increased amount of local content to their programming.
- Advised TTNI US, a Toyota affiliate, on the licensing requirements to operate a private network for Toyota to communicate with Toyota Argentina and its network of concessionaires in the country.
- Represented fixed telephone and broadband operator, Iplan, in a regulatory dispute.
- Advised Hispasat on regulatory disputes with the telecoms authorities concerning landing rights for licenses to operate in Argentina.
- Represented DirecTV in class actions related to the quality of services and customer billing.
According to some, Marval O’Farrell Mairal is ‘the best in Argentina’ for TMT matters, on the back of its ‘business-savvy’ and ‘very smart lawyers’. The group stands out for its impressive combination of regulatory and transactional expertise, and it also benefits from its ability to lean on the firm’s specialist offering in technology-related white-collar crime. The department’s client roster is well balanced across all key pillars of TMT, including major local and global names such as Claro Argentina, Intelsat, Grupo Vila-Manzano and Google. Daniel Di Paola advises on transactional and regulatory matters related to the telecoms, broadcasting and entertainment sectors. Di Paola jointly heads the team together with transactional specialist Javier Etcheverry Boneo and Gustavo Giay, who specialises in IT and privacy law. Up-and-coming technology partner Diego Fernández is ‘very knowledgeable and responsive’.
‘They are well recognised in this field; I believe the best in Argentina.’
‘Great service, quality advice and very smart lawyers.’
‘The team, led by Javier Etcheverry Boneo, is very business-savvy and well versed on the issues that concern digital platforms and the gig economy. They are determined to investigate matters further, and provide practical advice.’
‘Javier Etcheverry Boneo and Claudia Paluszkiewicz have been great advisors in navigating us through the maze of regulatory laws in the sector in Argentina, as well as providing pragmatic, down-to-earth advice, taking into consideration important business factors, and actual evidence as well. They are aware of business, and understand your specific needs.’
‘Diego Fernández was very knowledgeable and responsive and a pleasure to work with. I could not ask for a better external counsel.’
‘Diego Fernández is very proactive and understands the needs of the clients.’
Facebook / WhatsApp
América Móvil / Claro Argentina
Grupo Vila-Manzano / América TV
- Advised Globenet Cabos Submarinos on the deployment of Globenet’s subsea cable system to Argentina and also on the day-to-day operations of the local company.
- Represented Playtech on its bid within the tender process launched by the province of Buenos Aires to legalise online gambling and sports betting.
- Advised Logitek on the development of logistic services in South America within Argentina.
- Advised Cisco Systems on regulatory matters related to the development of an over-the-top media service platform called ‘BroadCloud Calling and Webex Calling’.
- Assisted Antel Uruguay and Google with regulatory matters regarding the deployment of subsea cable systems co-owned between Antel Uruguay and Google.
Sáenz Valiente & Asociados
TMT is a core practice area at mid-size outfit Sáenz Valiente & Asociados. The firm is best known for representing media, entertainment and telecoms companies in complex regulatory and contentious matters; it also brings to bear complementary offerings in M&A and competition. María Lucila Romero enjoys a strong reputation in the market as a leading light for communications law.
Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi’s multidisciplinary group attracts praise for its ‘strong knowledge of the industry’ and its ‘creativity in devising legal strategies’. The firm advises a mix of local and multinational clients on telecoms, media and technology law, with a focus on regulatory and commercial work. The department is now led solely by public law specialist Ignacio Minorini Lima, following the departure of senior associate and department co-head Marcos Santiváñez Vieyra to ClarkeModet.
‘The team at BFML is very client-oriented. They have advised us on numerous occasions within a short time frame, and under pressure, but the team takes the work in their stride and manages to move projects forward on time and as required by the client.’
‘The advice we receive is first rate and they provide alternative solutions for our problems, allowing us to choose our business strategy, while taking into consideration the different legal and regulatory risks. In addition, the team is perfectly aware of clients’ needs, so has a complete understanding of the industry and its regulatory context.’
‘BFML specialises in this area, and the team is made up of lawyers and consultants who know and understand the specific legal issues relating to TMT.’
‘Their strongest points are: close relationships with clients; strong knowledge of the industry and the regulatory framework; creativity in devising legal strategies and suggesting alternatives; and good response times.’
Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques (SITA)
Encompass TIBA Latin America
CenturyLink Argentina (formerly Level 3 Argentina)
Superliga Argentina de Fútbol
Argentine Banking Association (ABA – Asociación De Bancos De Argentina)
Club Atlético Boca Juniors
Digital House Coding School
- Advised Club Atlético Boca Juniors on contractual matters related to its rights and assets, including digital exploitation of its rights through new platforms and technologies.
- Assisted Encompass TIBA Latin America (a satellite and telecoms service provider) with various regulatory issues.
- Advised CenturyLink Argentina on telecoms, privacy, data protection and general regulatory issues.
Estudio O'Farrell’s practice is significantly weighted towards regulatory work, including administrative litigation and competition law-related cases. The team is particularly active on the telecoms side, due in no small part to its close relationship with Claro Argentina, but it also has experience in the technology and media sectors. Department head Agustín Siboldi, who sits in the public law and economic regulation department, specialises in telecoms matters.
Comunicaciones y Consumos
- Advised Claro Argentina on regulatory matters, including administrative and judicial proceedings.
- Advised Inversiones Condor on municipal regulations applicable to telecoms network deployments.
- Represented Claro Argentina before the administrative and judicial authorities in challenging the merger between the incumbent Telecom Argentina and the main independent cable and internet service provider, Cablevision Fibertel.
Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen leverages the firm’s wider full-service offering to advise TMT clients on a range of regulatory, IP, contentious and transactional matters. The team is best known for its work in the technology field, with Google standing out as a trophy client — it has recently represented the technology giant on several high-profile disputes. Mariano Grondona, who leads the Google work, is a key contact.
Google / Google Argentina
Onex Corporation (Clarivate)
- Advised Google on all matters related to the landing of the Tannat submarine fiber optic cable at las Toninas, in the province of Buenos Aires.
- Assisted MSD Argentina with Argentine data protection regulations.
- Represented Google in claims concerning the ‘right to be forgotten’ from search results.
According to sources, Allende & Brea’s team stands out as ‘the best prepared in Argentina’. The group enters the table on the back of its strong run in technology matters — particularly regulatory and data protection issues — for household-name clients such as Facebook and Amazon. Technology specialist Pablo Palazzi provides ‘clear, direct and imaginative advice’ and co-leads the team alongside administrative law partner María Morena del Río.
‘What sets the team apart most of all is their knowledge and practical perspective, as well as their proactivity and tenacity.’
‘Allende & Brea and their lawyers stand out because of their understanding of — and dedication to — our legal matters. They respond rapidly, something that is necessary these days, and provide legal advice beyond merely reciting the law.’
‘The TMT team at Allende & Brea is without a doubt the best prepared in Argentina.’
‘The data privacy team is led by one of Latin America’s most highly regarded lawyers in this field. Pablo Pallazi is one of the most highly regarded lawyers in this area with an excellent track record in data protection and privacy matters.’
‘Pablo Palazzi and the rest of his team are proactive, with in-depth legal knowledge. In their day-to-day advice, they provide innovative solutions that are aligned with clients’ commercial needs and their businesses.’
‘Pablo Palazzi is, without a doubt, a brilliant lawyer, with extremely broad and strong legal knowledge, not just in the area of TMT, but also in IP, data privacy, fair trading and other branches of law. His background and extensive academic experience make him unique in his field.’
‘Pablo Palazzi has given us invaluable strategies for dealing with the data regulator and getting the approval of legal authorisations. The team handle matters personally and never let a single detail pass unnoticed, making them leaders in the region.’
‘Pablo Palazzi combines theoretical knowledge of data protection issues with clear, direct and imaginative advice.’
Liga española de Futbol
- Advised Apple TV+ on all aspects of the launch of its service in Argentina, including regulatory, data protection and IP matters.
- Advised Facebook on the potential merger of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp messaging services and the legal implications in terms of consumer protection law, antitrust law and data protection law.
Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro
New entry to the table Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro is distinguished by its ‘attention to detail’ and ‘fast response times’. The firm houses a growing TMT practice that is particularly active in technology matters, including regulatory issues, fintech, commercial agreements and data protection. The ‘pragmatic and decisive’ Gonzalo Oliva Beltrán specialises in technology transactions and heads the department. Senior associate Lucía López Laxague provides capable support.
‘The firm’s partners have extensive knowledge of their specialist field. They are highly regarded at a national and international level for their expertise. In addition, all the lawyers at the firm work together as a team, which means they can look at matters in more depth, dividing up the tasks and achieving better synergy.’
‘The firm has a large team, and the partners are very involved in all the matters, which means they have a greater knowledge of the right strategy to follow and can provide better advice. Unlike with other firms, the partners participate actively in all cases, leading the advice and taking part in the preparation of a strategy from day one.’
‘They have a broad knowledge of M&A, capital investments and acquisitions of debt. Their attention to detail and fast response times are what make them stand out.’
‘Lucía López Laxague and Gonzalo Oliva Beltrán stand out for their availability, excellent response times, attention to detail and broad knowledge. They have an in-depth knowledge of the legislation and the decisions of the regulatory bodies. They are aware of the status quo and the practices of the market and of the key players. They have a good understanding of clients’ problems.’
‘Gonzalo Oliva-Beltrán is pragmatic and decisive. He is aware of the new developments and practices in the market, and makes informed recommendations.’
Richards, Cardinal, Tützer, Zabala & Zaefferer
Richards, Cardinal, Tützer, Zabala & Zaefferer’s team works ‘intelligently, efficiently and collaboratively’, according to satisfied clients. The group packs a punch on the technology side, where it acts for an array of local and foreign start-ups, fintechs and multinational companies on regulatory and commercial matters, including litigation. Lisandro Frene specialises in IP, IT, data privacy and advertising law and co-heads the team alongside Juan Pablo Cardinal, who has a focus on commercial IT matters.
‘They work intelligently, efficiently and collaboratively. They are very precise and provide immediate responses to any queries.’
‘We trust them without hesitation for all legal and contractual matters in which we require advice, no matter how important, as we know that they are the best in their field.’
‘The knowledge, experience and proactivity of the firm’s lawyers allow us to accelerate the legal and commercial processes of our company.’
‘They stand out for their in-depth knowledge, level of commitment and transparency. I can attest to Juan Pablo Cardinal’s abilities.’
Thomson Reuters Foundation
- Advised Microsoft on all aspects of the commercialisation of its cloud services to the public and private sector, and also on data protection matters.
- Advised Mondelez Argentina on all contracts and regulatory matters related to its interactive advertising campaigns and sweepstakes.