Highly regarded for its tech expertise and international perspective, Baker McKenzie's Argentine TMT practice is ‘always on top of developments in the industry, and constantly reports on how those changes can be leveraged’. The team’s ‘commercial and practical approach widely distinguishes them from the rest’, and is further recommended since ‘it does not limit itself to knowing the Argentine regulations, but always provides a more global vision'’. Combining advisory and regulatory services, the department assists tech, media and telecom multinationals on the full range of issues, including licensing and authorisation, digital transformation, cloud computing, privacy, e-commerce and publishing contacts, to name a few. IP tech specialist Guillermo Cervio is a ‘very practical lawyer’ who can ‘see problems clearly and identify simple solutions'. He co-leads the team with Roberto Grane, who has a strong transactional and regulatory background and experience advising cross-border clients. Additional support comes from younger partners Francisco Fernández-Rostello and Martin Roth, principally corporate and banking, and corporate/transactional practitioners, respectively, who are both engaged in the new tech segment on matters such as data privacy, e-commerce, social-network regulation, internet search engine companies and fintech. Experienced associate Agostina Coppola is also a key name in the practice group.
TMT in Argentina
Guillermo Cervio; Roberto Grane
‘The team led by Roberto Grane shows great flexibility at all times. Responds with great dedication to emergencies. He does not lose sight of the general objective even when dealing with the details’.
‘The 100% remote work during the pandemic worked perfectly’.
‘Roberto Grane is an excellent negotiator and mediator. Always focused on the good of the client and avoiding legal adventures with little chance of success’.
‘The response speed is very high, availability 24/7’.
‘Guillermo Cervio is a very practical lawyer who can see problems clearly and identify simple solutions’.
‘It is a team from a firm with a practical and agile perspective on the issues, but at the same time with a lot of legal solvency. In addition to their permanent availability to resolve inquiries, their commercial and practical approach widely distinguishes them from the rest’.
‘The practice group seems to be always on top of developments in the industry, and constantly reports on how those changes can be leveraged for our business’.
‘Regarding the team, Roberto Gran has a practical, fast and clear approach; he simplifies complex issues while still giving them the depth and seriousness they require’.
‘Guillermo Cervio and Agostina Coppola provide a comprehensive overview of trends and interpretations at the regional or global level’.
‘It does not limit itself to knowing the Argentine regulations, but always provides a more global vision’.
- Provided Twitter with a customised analysis of recently-issued regulations concerning online gambling and ads, and specifically regarding which such advertisements may be published on its platform.
- Provided Google with a customised analysis of recently-issued regulations on online gambling and ads.
- Advised Sigi -a soon-to-be-launched digital platform and companion app- that acts as a marketplace for patients to identify and interface with psychologists, on the development, launch and operation of the platform and app.
The experienced TMT team of Beccar Varela earns its place at the top end of the market by representing a diverse portfolio of clients, from infrastructure and service providers, to content developers, tech manufacturers and entertainment players. The firm increasingly handles data protection, privacy, cybersecurity and cybercrime issues, as well as advising on software licenses, outsourcing and cloud computing agreements. Other core specialisms include regulatory issues and the ever-growing fintech sector. Emilio Beccar Varela’s expertise covers media and entertainment, telecommunications, IT, IP and corporate advice. He is co-practice head along with Florencia Rosati, who handles litigation and advice on trade marks, patents, copyright, entertainment, communications and new technologies. The team was further strengthened in April 2020 with the arrival of senior Mariana Lamarca Vidal from Abeledo Gottheil Abogados, adding further associate support to that provided by intermediates Agustina Pardo and Martin Beccar Varela.
Emilio Beccar Varela; Florencia Rosati
Phoenix Tower International
The Walt Disney Company Argentina
- Regular advice to Samsung Electronics Argentina on data protection legal aspects, covering access rights by data subjects, drafting of privacy policies and consents, review and drafting of data processing agreements, advice on international transfers of data between subsidiaries of the same group, among others.
- Day-to-day advisory to Chinese vehicle-for-hire company DiDi, regarding the services it provides in Argentina, including on data protection issues -such as drafting of privacy policies, valid consents, processing agreements, international data transfers- and intermediaries’ liability issues, among other matters.
- Lately we are representing communication-satellite services provider Intelsat in obtaining landing rights in Argentina for the satellite IS-37e in replacement of satellite IS-901.
The 12-strong team at Bomchil is known for its ‘tailor-made, innovative solutions’, its ‘hands-on partners’ and provision of 'accurate, up-to-date and reliable information'. The team houses ‘deep experience and knowledge on technology and telecommunications matters’, as well as fintech and foreign exchange regulations. Data privacy is also a core strength of the group, alongside the transactional, contractual and employment advice it undertakes in the technology and media sectors. Of late, alongside ongoing regulatory advice, the practice has primarily been engaged in assisting clients in relation to Government 'emergency' decrees - most notably the "Necessity and Urgency Decree" (no. 690), which categorises information and communications groups as public, essential and strategic services - with various regulatory ramifications. Marcelo Bombau focuses on M&A in the area and co-leads the team with Francisco Gutiérrez, who is considered ‘one of the top regulatory experts in the TMT market' and also has ‘deep expertise in administrative law and international arbitration’. Corporate-finance practitioner María Victoria Funes is active in fintech regulatory matters; while counsel Paula Beveraggi manages day-to-day advice to media clients and has particular expertise in the regulatory framework for broadcasting. Corporate and transactional senior associate Francisco Zappa is also active in the sector and has expertise in data protection law, new technologies and privacy matters.
Francisco Gutiérrez; Marcelo Bombau
‘The firm in general, and the lawyers who attend our account in particular, provide accurate, up-to-date and reliable information. They normally propose different approaches to the situation analysed, thus adapting the needs of the company. At the same time, they are very diligent when requesting information in a short time’.
‘Always open to new approaches that the company may have, trying to provide differential value solutions (not standard)’.
‘Interdisciplinary team. All areas are connected and provide a comprehensive service in addition to generating high added value. Collaboration and technology were implemented quickly and efficiently to meet the challenges of the pandemic’.
‘High availability and customer focused. Always up-to-date with news, they seek to stay up-to-date and offer customers the tools to update themselves’.
‘Francisco Zappa: senior lawyer in charge of our account, handles issues and interaction with other areas of the firm, transmitting our needs and responding efficiently and professionally to our queries. A rising star’.
‘Bomchil’s practice is known for its tailor-made, innovative solutions. Its approach is distinguished by hands-on partners. They have deep experience and knowledge on technology and telecommunications matters. They are always available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide prompt and efficient responses and in record time, which makes them unmatched by other firms’.
‘Bomchil regularly offers its clients training seminars on various topics, including fintech regulations and FX regulations. It also regularly provides spaces to discuss diversity and integration and has coordinated a series of inspirational seminars with relevant speakers’.
‘Francisco Gutierrez is considered one of the top regulatory experts in the TMT market. He has also a deep expertise in administrative law and international arbitration’.
Aeropuertos Argentina 2000
Amazon Prime Video
Buenos Aires Arena
Ernst & Young
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius
Mills Capital Markets
Shin & Kim
SBA Communications Corporation
- Regular advice and representation of Bloomberg in telecoms matters, along with advisory regarding regulatory and data privacy matters related to the implementation of two new services for the recording of voice calls and videoconferences.
- Advising satellite-TV provider DirecTV and its international shareholders in connection with exceptional regulatory measures enacted by the Government, most notably, August 2020’s Necessity and Urgency Decree 690 ruling that Information and Communications Technologies be categorised as public, essential and strategic services, which means that the regulatory authorities have broad power to regulate such services and impose performance and investment obligations, including wholesale and retail price controls.
- Advice to various fintech industry players -inclding prepayment platform Más Simple, P2P lending platform TuTasa and e-commerce service provider Dlocal- on their legal strategies during the establishement of their business, their operational launches and on-going matters. either for the launch of operations or during the se- up of their business as well as on ongoing matters
Marval O’Farrell Mairal is recommended as an ‘exceptional firm in every area, its people, its knowledge, its availability’. The TMT practice combines this with its track record of being at the ‘technological forefront, conducting interesting seminars for the sector and participating in important discussions about the business’. The consolidated media, technology and telecoms department provides multidisciplinary expertise covering regulatory, transactional and contentious advice. Online gaming and fintech are key areas of work within the broad practice, which also -uniquely- offers criminal and civil advisory regarding technology, from internet matters to privacy and cybersecurity. The large practice -over 20 layers- is co led by Daniel Di Paola, who specialises in advising large media and telecoms companies on a range of issues; Javier Etcheverry Boneo, a practitioner who is ‘technically rigorous and who knows most about the evolution of the sector in recent years’; and Gustavo Giay, who is head of the IT and privacy group. Technology expert Diego Fernández is also noted. At associate level, key support comes from senior Claudia Paluszkiewicz and intermediate Manuela Adrogue; however, former fellow senior Mariano Javier Peruzzotti moved to Ojam Bullrich Flanzbaum in February 2021.
Daniel Di Paola; Javier Etcheverry Boneo; Gustavo Giay
‘They are strong in all areas’.
‘Marval has an outstanding update standard and was very useful for corporate management during times of quarantine’.
‘Reliability and efficiency. The participation and accessibility of the partners is an important element. In my particular case, I have direct access and a prompt and informative response from the partner in charge of the account’.
‘The team and the individuals within that team provide very prompt assistance, at times it has been at odd hours. I also found a human level of interaction alongside the professional. The collaboration is professional yet flexible to understanding the issue / matter at hand and proving pragmatic ways to move forward’.
‘It is a real pleasure to work with them and gives great peace of mind and assurance that the issues will be treated with the greatest responsibility and quality’.
‘During the pandemic, given their technology and structure, they have been able to provide the same quality of services remotely and outside the office’.
‘All the partners are the leaders in their areas and the team that they make up is made up of the best lawyers from the universities. The partners are very hands-on and are always available to take a call, resolve a question or review a topic to find a new or creative outlet’.
‘I believe that Marval is the best firm in Argentina in the area of technology. They are very responsive and the work is of high quality’.
‘Javier Etcheberry-Boneo is an outstanding professional. He is the most technically rigorous and the one who knows most about the evolution of the sector in recent years’.
The Walt Disney Company (Argentina) / Fox / ESPN
Facebook / WhatsApp
América Móvil / Claro Argentina
Globenet Cabos Submarinos
- Ongoing full legal advisory concerning the deployment of Globenet’s subsea cable system to Argentina (Project Malbec), as well as on the day-to-day operations of the local company.
- Legal advisory to Supercanal regarding the renegotiation of certain terms under a certain stock purchase agreement.
- Full legal advice to Playtech on the submission of its offer within the bidding process launched by the Province of Buenos Aires to legalise online gambling and sports betting, as well as on several other significant matters.
Given its longstanding strength in public law and regulatory matters, in conjunction with a broader service offering that includes a healthy corporate and tax capability, the TMT practice at O'Farrell has grown its presence in the sector, where it provides multidisciplinary counsel to a range of domestic and international telecom, media and tech companies. The eight strong practice group plays to its strengths advising telecom majors -such as Claro, Movistar and Nokia- on a full range of matters from taxation in the sector to the nuances of municipal authorisation litigation or, more recently, the obligations of recent infrastructure-sharing regulations. A former in-house legal counsel at Telecom Argentina, practice head Agustin Siboldi, advises on operational matters related to regulatory requirements and competition law, commercial decisions, transactional projects and the drafting of contracts, agreements and internal policies, among other matters. Partner-level backing comes from Jorge Muratorio who specialises in advisory and litigation for clients in heavily regulated sectors; and administrative and regulatory specialist Agustina Fanelli Evans. Similarly, associates Belén Micciarelli and Nicolás Vázquez both have a public law and regulatory background and are frequently active in administrative litigation on behalf of telecoms clients.
Comunicaciones y Consumos
Claro Argentina (new matters)
Transener – Transba
- Ongoing advice to CYCSA regarding the structuring of its products and services since its incorporation; and in relation to the impact of the new regulation for sharing infrastructure able to deploy telecommunications cables and equipment vis-à-vis its counterparts (electricity distribution companies across the country).
- Advised Farmacity regarding the design, definition and implementation of its online sales platform, considering certain tax restrictions and the presence of Mercado Libre.
- Advising and representing Claro Argentina in the class actions borught primarily by consumer associations.
Full-service firm Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen has particular experience in regulatory telecommunications, intellectual property, privacy, e-commerce and freedom-of-speech matters. The 20-strong practice group is also active in new products liability and the increasingly prominent areas of data protection regulations, privacy and content regulations. One of the firm's senior partners, Mariano Grondona handles transactions and litigation in the TMT space. He co-leads the team with Arnaldo Cisilino, who focuses on civil and commercial litigation, class actions, dispute resolution, technology, data protection, freedom of expression and privacy conflicts. The pair are supported by an extremely experienced group including counsels María Carolina Abdelnabe Vila (data-protection compliance as part of a wider practice including competition and consumer protection matters); Pía Politi (privacy and data protection; IT and technology disputes' matters); and Marina Basavilbaso, whose general practice is directed towards advising tech companies on matters including contracts, privacy issues, telecoms infrastructure, e-commerce, digital signatures, and software and digital content licences. Completing the group, senior associate María Eugenia Videla's specialisms include telecommunications and media, both advisory and litigation.
Mariano Grondona; Arnaldo Cisilino
Onex Corporation (Clarivate)
- Advised Google on all matters related to the landing of the Tannat submarine fiber-optic cable at las Toninas, Buenos Aires province, Argentina; a project of national importance and without precedents.
- In the wake of the re: “Kosten” (2018) leading casae regarding Internet Service Providers’ liability for products, the team has subsequently undertaken a further leading case (“Vergara”), establishing thatintermediaries in the e-commerce field are not supposed to actively monitor everything published on their platforms.
- Acts as Google’s external advisor on all Argentine data protection matters; this involves analysis of new products/services involving personal data, revsion of Terms & Conditions to ensure compliance with Argentine data protection regulations; and also involving Gogle’s management of big data invlving tehnology not contemplated by the legislation in force.
Best known for handling novel technology issues, Allende & Brea advises telecom, media, technology, e-commerce and fintech industries on a range of issues. The firm provides expertise in software licensing, outsourcing, data protection, privacy policies, internet and entertainment law. On the contentious side, the team is also experienced in cases related to data breaches, computer contracts, software licensing and personal data. New York-qualified head of practice Pablo Palazzi has over 25 years' experience and focuses on industrial and intellectual property issues, internet and technology law, data protection, domain-name registration and fintech matters. Primary associate support comes from senior Lucila Lódola de San Martín, who handles IP and IT advisory and litigation, data privacy and telecom and broadcasting regulatory matters.
‘The team is a specialist in issues related to privacy and data protection, and they are differentiated by the firm’s track record on these issues.‘
‘Pablo Palazzi stands out for his career and international renown as one of the most recognised lawyers in the field of data protection and privacy.‘
Libra Association (Facebook Technologies)
- Assisted Michaels Bubble and Luisana Lopilato in bringing injunctions and judicial actions against media companies due to the infringement of personal image rights on social networks and telecommunication channels.
- Undertook the analysis of various aspects of the creation of an electronic wallet and crypto currency for Libra Association.
- Undertook the review of several templates to be used by the Amazon Prime Video service in Argentina including services agreement, data transfer agreements and other accords.
‘Characterised by quick and effective responses’, Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi’s TMT department ‘stands out for its efficiency and solidity, not only in response times, but also in the ability to go over the key points and provide complete advice’. This full-service offering includes regulatroy advice on matters related to authorisations, permits and licenses for the provision of broadcasting and telecommunications services, along with related areas such asuse of the radio-electric spectrum, installation of telecommunications equipment and infrastructure, VoIP, permanent roaming and the internet of things. Within this, areas of particular expertise include privacy, data protection issues and IP. Reorganised in August 2020, the nine-strong "Intellectual Property, Privacy, New Technologies and Advertising Law" practice was is now co-lead trade mark specialist Paula Fernández Pfizenmaier (who has expertise in privacy, new technologies and advertising matters); former INPI President, Dámaso Pardo, who advises and litigates on trade marks, patents, and advertising and marketing law matters; and Ignacio Javier Minorini Lima, whose energy and economic regulation practice stretches into other regulated markets, including telecoms and, additionally, has international and domestic arbitration experience.
Paula Fernández Pfizenmaier; Dámaso Pardo; Ignacio Javier Minorini Lima
‘Above all, the BFM&L team is characterised by quick and effective responses. Over the years, the firm has continued to stand out for its efficiency and solidity, not only in response times, but also in the ability to go over the key points and provide complete advice’.
‘Very professional team and always updated’
‘They are very proactive in addition to having a permanent collaborative attitude. Empathy and putting yourself in the customer’s shoes’.
‘The work is very good. There is good collaboration and the billing is according to the work. Professionalism and neatness’.
‘Bruchou, Fernandez Madero & Lombardi offers comprehensive advice for the company, in all its areas and activities. In my experience as an internal lawyer for a company, I am very pleased to work with this firm. They have solid professionals in all areas of law’.
‘They have a very clear and transparent billing process, where they give a detailed account of the jobs they are billing. Something very important from a compliance point of view’.
‘I have the pleasure of interacting regularly with Sebastian Vedoya, Sergio Arbeleche, Pablo Crimer and Juan Zocca. All of them great professionals, but above all upright people, with a great vision of the business’.
Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques (SITA)
Barrick Gold Corp
Encompass TIBA Latin America
Lumen Technologies (formerly Century Link Argentina and Level 3 Argentina)
Superliga Argentina de Fútbol
Argentine Banking Association (ABA – Asociación De Bancos De Argentina)
Club Atlético Boca Juniors
Digital House Coding School
- Advised air transport communications and IT specialist company SITA, on general legal matters, including governmental procurement regulations, TMT regulation and data protection and privacy.
- Permanent regular advice to T-Systems Argentina on general telecommunications and software-related matters, licensing agreements, maintenance contracts, IP protection and registrations, services agreements with providers, and currently, particularly regarding litigation concerning enforcement of rights arising out of licensing and implementation agreements.
- Advised electronic transactions business Gire, on several matters related to technology platforms and software; specifically, assisting the company with software implementation and complex data processing transactions, e-commerce and internet-related matters.
Richards, Cardinal, Tützer, Zabala & Zaefferer
Representing a broad spectrum of clients from large multinationals to start-ups, Richards, Cardinal, Tützer, Zabala & Zaefferer specialises in disruptive technologies and digital transformation, including the key areas of blockchain, quantic computing, AI, machine learning, analytics, IoT and Big Data. A particular specialism of the team is cryptocurrency and fintech regulation. Lisandro Frene is experienced in IP, IT and fair-trade advertising law, who also handles data privacy. He co-leads the practice with fellow IP and IT specialist, name partner Juan Pablo Cardinal. TMT-specialist partner Damián Navarro is another core member of the practice and can draw on 15 years' experience in public law, administrative procedures, government contracts, infrastructure and antitrust, along with regulatory matters in general. Similarly, Patricio J Trench has considerable IT and TMT experience, regularly handling outsourcing agreements, IT services, software sales and development, e-commerce and fintech; while head of the consumer law practice María Guadalupe Pozzi Santamarina has expertise in TMT and related matters - particularly e-commerce, marketing and advertising law, consumer law and data privacy. Key associate support comes from María del Pilar Olaso (administrative law and economic regulation), and Julieta Sarmiento (TMT, administrative law and consumer defence).
Lisandro Frene; Juan Pablo Cardinal
‘Excellent technical quality, prompt responses, quick understanding of queries on complex issues. And their technical and human qualities, specifically: Lisandro Frene, Patrick Trench, Jorge Tutzer, Damian Navarro and Matias Zaefferer. For me, agility in response without compromising technical quality is key.’
‘It is a very professional team and always available for clients. The response time is very good and always with the availability to adapt to the client’s needs. They are specialist lawyers who promote the success of clients through their legal solutions.‘
The Walt Disney Company
- Counsel to Microsoft on all legal aspects related to the commercialisation of its cloud services to both the public and private sectors; as well as on the impact of GDPR and data protection law on its business in Argentina – particularly international data transfer agreements, the legal consequences of video surveillance, face recognition and AI from a multidisciplinary standpoint.
- Counsel to Mercedez Benz / Daimler on all legal aspects arising from technological added-services (‘Mercedes Me Connect’ – remote online driving assistant services) in its top range vehicles; as well as provideing legal analysis of bills related to internet service providers (ISP) and personal data protection bills submitted to Congress.
- Advised and assisted Mondelez Argentina on all contracts and regulatory matters related to its interactive advertising campaigns and sweepstakes, including data collection / processing proceedings and app-development agreements; and also regarding cybersecurity incidents.
Sáenz Valiente & Asociados
Primarily known for representing media, entertainment and telecoms companies, the 10-strong Sáenz Valiente & Asociados specialises in complex regulatory matters and disputes, supplemented by expertise in M&A and competition. Communications-law expert María Lucila Romero is a key name in the team.
José María Sáenz Valiente (h); Ignacio Sáenz Valiente; Damián Cassino; María Lucila Romero
Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro
Housing a growing practice, Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro handles a range of regulatory, fintech, commercial agreements and data protection issues. Gonzalo Oliva Beltrán is a key name in the team and focuses on technology transactions; also notable in the area is senior associate Lucía López Laxague whose practice includes regulatory advisory on tech matters, and data protection and privacy.
Gonzalo Oliva Beltrán
Dubbed 'pioneers in fintech and crypto issues in the local market', MBP Partners - Abogados approaches its fifth anniversary having carved out a specialist niche in the finance and payments segment of the TMT sector, with a 'recognised' team that 'understand[s] the language' when it comes to fintech and crypto-currencies. Its expertise extends to cover blockchain, smart contracts and P2P lending, among other matters, with the team also demonstrating regulatory experience and international know-how. Ignacio Meggiolaro focuses on capital markets, banking and fintech, along with compliance, investigations and anti-money laundering. He co-leads the team with Victoria Bengochea, whose strengths lie in corporate law and M&A - particularly foreign investments and business development. Of counsel Joaquín Arturo Pozzo has lengthy in-house experience in the compliance segment; and at associate level, March-2020 hire Juan Segundo Barbeito focuses on corporate, capital markets and fintech/crypto-currency matters. However, former tech-sector tax specialist, partner Martina Caunedo, moved in-house at Yata International in April 2021.
Ignacio Meggiolaro; Victoria Bengochea; Martina Caunedo
‘Modern approach. Very good advice in financial sector’.
‘As a strength, it is a team very close to the client and very up-to-date on new issues – not only legal issues but also issues specific to each industry’.
‘In terms of fintech and cryptocurrencies, they are recognised and understand the language, which is particular. In addition, the expertise in these matters covers regulatory, tax, corporate, IP, etc. issues. Therefore, they are shown as a comprehensive firm and full service’.
‘First, they are pioneers in fintech and crypto issues in the local market; for this reason, they tend to actively participate in congresses, work groups and academic environments. In terms of diversity, MBP is also recognised for promulgating values of diversity and inclusion, both in relation to the role of women and the LGBTQI + community. In this sense, we know that they are working on a trans inclusion probono project, sponsoring trans girls and boys in law school. In addition, as a novelty, they have expanded the team and incorporated new areas of practice such as labour law and social security’.
‘They avoid formalities and generate a very friendly and pleasant closeness with the client. All the lawyers are highly trained; in fact, the firm sponsors specializations and courses for all its lawyers. They all have an impeccable command of languages (English, Portuguese, etc.)’.
Ank (Itaú Unibanco)
- Legal counsel to Ripio to conduct cryptocurrency business worldwide, as well as on a new strategy for its P2P lending business unit.
- Advised Nation Traffic on its the landing in Argentina for the development of an enhanced crypto exchange which cooperates with gaming and sport betting sites to conduct payments from Argentine individuals by means of cryptocurrencies.
- Legal advice to virtual wallet company TAP from its early stage as a startup, including formation of the local vehicle, collection and incorporation of investors, registration before the Argentine Central Bank, legal matters related to the app and online platform such as terms and conditions and data protection compliance, among other matters, along with day-to-day regulatory and corporate support.