Providing ‘a lot of knowledge in technology and novel topics in law’, Baker McKenzie specialises in multidisciplinary advice to leading telecom, media and tech companies, as well as representing local and global non-TMT companies in technology and privacy issues. The team covers the full spectrum of telecoms matters, notably licensing, infrastructure and global satellite matters, while in the media and entertainment space it advises extensively on rights collection and publishing contracts. Moreover, the broad experience of the practice in tech, media and privacy matters includes digital transformation, cloud computing, music licensing and e-commerce. Tech law specialist Guillermo Cervio co-leads the team with Roberto Grané, whose strengths are primarily in transactional and regulatory law. Younger partners Francisco Fernández Rostello and Martin Roth also dedicate a susbstantial proportion of their time to TMT matters. However, counsel Agostina Coppola left in May 2022 to move in house at JPMorgan Chase & Co.
TMT in Argentina
Guillermo Cervio; Roberto Grané
‘Excellent predisposition for team solving of unstructured problems. Excellent presence and representation of the interests of the corporation.‘
‘It has a complete team on various legs that involve practice in TMT issues. Great global development allows them to have formats already predetermined and requested by international clients at the time of executing a job. Having corporate experiences from other jurisdictions makes them different and efficient with what the client needs.‘
‘The team has a lot of knowledge of the world market, and about each market where Baker operates in particular. They have a practical, deep and business-oriented approach. They know the risks and can accurately advise on the local enforcement of data agencies.‘
Bytedance (Tik Tok)
LVMH Moët Hennessy • Louis Vuitton
Sony Music Publishing Argentina
- Advised Twitter and Google with customised analysis of recently-issued regulations around online and social gambling and ads, specifically concerning which such advertisements may be published on their platforms.
- Advice to Cubic Telecom on regulatory matters that apply to car and mobile connectivity solutions on B2B contracts, mainly involving telemetry infotainment.
Beccar Varela’s broad TMT practice provides a full-service offering to infrastructure and service providers, content developers, entertainment companies and technology developers. The team stands out in the areas of data protection and data privacy, as well as handling a range of software licensing, outsourcing, cloud computing and confidentiality agreements. Sector specialisms include mobile, satellite, broadcasting, digital media, fintech, technology and e-commerce. Senior partner Emilio Beccar Varela is a key name in the area and focuses on media and entertainment, telecommunications, IT, IP and corporate advice. He co-leads the team with Florencia Rosati, whose practice centres on contentious advice in the TMT space. At associate level, senior Mariana Lamarca Vidal handles legal, corporate, contractual advisory and litigation regarding trade marks and patents and copyright, entertainment, e-commerce, privacy and personal data protection, and new technologies.
Emilio Beccar Varela; Florencia Rosati
Banco del Sol
Samsung Electronics Argentina
S4 Capital (MightyHive and Media Monks)
The Walt Disney Company
- Advice to DiDi regarding the services it provides in Argentina, including data protection issues.
- Advice to Banco del Sol on different technology and data protection matters.
- Advised Samsung Electronics Argentina on the legal aspects of data protection.
Well regarded for its telecommunications sector work, Bomchil advises international investors, foreign and local operators and regulators across the sector. Regulatory expertise is a key strength for the firm, as are disputes and class actions in the TMT segments. Data privacy and data protection matters are another forte of the practice, particularly when such matters have a multijurisdictional element; while fintech and crypto space constitute a strong growth segment for the practice, where its increasingly active year-on-year. Francisco Gutiérrez is known for his track-record in the regulated industries, particularly for regulatory conflicts and day-to-day operational advice in the TMT sector. Gutiérrez leads the team and is well supported by senior associate Francisco Zappa, who specialises in data protection law, new technologies and privacy matters. Corporate and transactional counsel Paula Beveraggi has extensive day-to-day advisory experience with media clients, particularly as regards the regulatory framework for broadcasting.
‘The relationship with people and internal collaboration is outstanding. The entire firm works as a team giving solutions throughout the legal spectrum, but with an interlocutor who attends to the needs and requirements according to what is requested by us.‘
‘Bomchil manages resources very well to provide professional response with reasonable fees. It presents clear and predictable budgets, which allow the company to manage its legal budget organically. Francisco Zappa, senior in charge of the account, handles all commercial issues and coordinates within the firm to give us great service. Rising star!‘
Aeropuertos Argentina 2000
Buenos Aires Arena
Ernst & Young
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius
Mills Capital Markets
Paramount Global (formerly ViacomCBS)
Shin & Kim
Televisión Federal – Telefe
SBA Communications Corporation
Alipay (Ant Group)
- Advice to Bloomberg on telecoms, regulatory and data privacy matters regarding the implementation of two new services for the recording of voice calls and video-conferences.
- Advised AT&T Services on the Argentine regulatory aspects related to the sale of Vrio’s TV and internet operations under the DirecTV brand across 11 countries in Latin America.
- Assisted Buenbit with strategic advice and risk assessments on financial regulatory matters, including FX and anti-money laundering regulations and innovative and complex contractual matters.
The multidisciplinary TMT team at Marval O’Farrell Mairal provides ‘solid support, complemented by professionals from related areas so that the advice is comprehensive’. The firm brings together expertise in regulation, finance and litigation to advise across the TMT spectrum, including television, telecoms and online gaming. The dedicated IT practice group handles criminal and civil matters related to technology, from internet matters to privacy and cybersecurity. Blockchain and fintech are also key strengths, with the team advising on crypto-assets, virtual wallets, and cloud and blockchain transactions. The group is co-led by Daniel Di Paola, who focuses primarily on telecoms and broadcasting; Javier Etcheverry Boneo, who specialises in business law, particularly in the broadcasting, internet, media and telecom sectors; and IT and privacy expert Gustavo Giay. Also active in the area is Diego Fernández, whose expertise includes multijurisdictional data protection and privacy work. However, key senior associate Claudia Paluszkiewicz moved in house as regional legal head at Blockchain.com in March 2022.
Daniel Di Paola; Javier Etcheverry Boneo; Gustavo Giay
‘Very solid support, complemented by professionals from related areas so that the advice is comprehensive.‘
‘Proactivity, being one step ahead, full time availability.‘
‘A team of highly trained professionals, who understand the needs of the business and willing to take risks.‘
‘Diego Fernández is an extraordinary professional, a benchmark in the field of data privacy, with a very close and friendly treatment.‘
‘Great knowledge and experiences in the area of data protection law in Argentina.‘
‘Diego Fernández knows a lot about the practices of foreign companies, their advice is always useful and practical for our clients (Japanese companies). His response is always timely and the fees are always transparent.‘
The Walt Disney Company (Argentina) / Fox / ESPN
América Móvil / Claro Argentina
Globenet Cabos Submarinos
- Advice to Globenet Cabos Submarinos regarding the deployment of Globenet’s subsea cable system to Argentina (Project Malbec; connecting Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Buenos Aires) and the day-to-day operations of the local company.
- Advice to Playtech on the submission of its offer in the bidding process launched by the Province of Buenos Aires to legalise online gambling and sports betting.
- WarnerMedia and Discovery merged to become a new company that is now one of the largest US media businesses; the team provides regulatory and antitrust advice regarding the local impact of the operation.
Allende & Brea advises domestic and foreign clients from the telecom, media, technology, e-commerce and fintech industries on a diverse range of matters - key examples being software licensing, outsourcing, data protection, privacy policies, internet and entertainment law. The team is experienced in telecom and broadcasting regulatory issues, data transmission and collection matters, and also undertakes litigation across the TMT sector. An ‘international benchmark in the field of data privacy’, Pablo Palazzi leads the team and has particularl expertise in technology transactions, IP issues, internet and technology law. Key support comes from IP-oriented senior associate Lucila Lódola De San Martín, who also handles internet law, entertainment law, the draft and review of IT and IP contracts, privacy and data protection, habeas data, telecom and broadcasting regulatory framework matters.
‘Excellence and speed to respond to queries, understand the business and are not conservative in their positions, something we value very much.‘
‘Pablo Palazzi is an international benchmark in the field of data privacy, we value his opinion on the matter.‘
Discovery Inc – Discovery Plus
Libra Association (Facebook Technologies)
Facebook / Meta Platform
- Assisted Spotify with the launching of a new service in Argentina; in particular, the need (or not) of a local presence, the hosting of data on a local server, and the need for licenses from various authorities.
- Assisted Facebook with data protection and privacy laws, specifically in relation to the Facebook platform and app, Instagram, and WhatsApp.
- Undertook training for F Hoffmann-La Roche regarding data privacy matters for the employees.
Providing ‘excellent lawyers, with knowledge of the case and the business', Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen advises on a range of telecommunications regulatory, intellectual property, privacy, e-commerce and freedom-of-speech matters. Practice co-head Mariano Grondona's expertise includes telecoms regulation, privacy matters, product liability and dispute resolutions in the TMT sector. Fellow co-head Arnaldo Cisilino specialises in assisting companies with internet-related claims, data protection, new projects and products. A strong second-line is led by counsels Pía Politi and María Carolina Abdelnabe Vila who are both specialists in Argentine data privacy regulation.
Mariano Grondona; Arnaldo Cisilino
‘Excellent lawyers, with knowledge of the case and the business.‘
‘Full-time availability to review cases.‘
‘The lawyer has direct contact with the business, it is easier to understand the complexity of the operation and thus advise more quickly and effectively.‘
Onex Corporation (Clarivate)
- Helped Merck, Sharp & Dohme on continuing its business using online platforms and how to comply with Argentine Data Protection regulations.
- Undertook analysis for Pirelli Neumáticos in relation to privacy and data protection during the Covid-19 outbreak.
Known for expertise in IP and regulatory matters, Bruchou & Funes de Rioja is experienced in authorisations, permits and licenses for the provision of broadcasting and telecommunications services, as well as handling IT agreements, privacy and data protection issues. The team acts on class actions and copyright litigation, while on the transactional side a key area of work is the structuring of purchases and assignment-of-rights transactions across the technology, entertainment, sports and broadcasting sectors. Key names in the IP, privacy, new technologies and legal advertising practice group are co-heads Dámaso Pardo, Ignacio Javier Minorini Lima and Alejandro Barrientos.
Dámaso Pardo Correa; Ignacio Javier Minorini Lima; Alejandro Barrientos
Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques (“SITA”)
Barrick Gold Corp
Encompass TIBA Latin America
Lumen Technologies (formerly Centurylink Argentina)
Argentine Banking Association (ABA – Asociación De Bancos De Argentina)
Club Atlético Boca Juniors
Digital House Coding School
- Provided local and cross-border legal counsel to Grupo Werthein on the acquisition from AT&T of Vrio Corp, the holding company of its leading digital entertainment services company in Latin America.
- Advising Lumen Technologies’ Argentine subsidiary on the administrative and judicial challenge of a contractual fine imposed by the Province of Buenos Aires related to a telecommunication links supply contract.
- Advised the Barrick Group on various telecommunications matters related to its mining activity in Argentina.
Specialising in telecommunication matters, O'Farrell acts across the sector for clients ranging from start-ups to leading telecoms players. The firm has a track record in obtaining municipal authorisations and acting in litigation that may arise from this process, as well as for advising on taxation, regulatory and commercial matters in the sector. Agustín Siboldi leads the team and is experienced in defence of competition, energy and natural resources and telecoms matters.
‘The knowledge and experience of the firm’s lawyers in matters of regulation in the telecommunications sector generates a lot of confidence and tranquility when hiring the services of the firm. They convey a solid image of teamwork. They are agile in the answers and highly available adjusting their times to the need of the company.‘
‘Professionalism, trajectory, success stories, research and involvement in current and / or sensitive issues that dominate the telecommunications sector.‘
Comunicaciones y Consumos
Transener – Transba
- Filed a claim on behalf of Claro Argentina for the “indirect negative” assignment of ARTEAR signals: channel 13 HD and TN HD before regulatory authority LDC.
- Advised Farmacity on the joint venture with the shareholders of retailer “The Food Market” to further develop it and expand its offering.
- Advising Huawei in connection with a number of initiatives which are all related to its offer of cloud services from abroad.
Richards, Cardinal, Tützer, Zabala & Zaefferer
Technology specialist firm Richards, Cardinal, Tützer, Zabala & Zaefferer advises on disruptive tech and digital transformation, notably blockchain, quantic computing, AI, machine learning, analytics, IoT, big data and data processing, as well as assisting clients with cryptocurrency and fintech regulations. The firm’s experience covers IP advice to consumers, fair trade law, data privacy, telecoms regime, OTT, convergence and regulatory matters. Practice co-head Lisandro Frene focuses on IP, IT, fair trade advertising law and data privacy; he co-leads the team with name partner Juan Pablo Cardinal, whose strengths are IT licensing and technology issues.
Lisandro Frene; Juan Pablo Cardinal
The Walt Disney Co
Michael Page Intl
Mondelez (Formerly Kraft)
- Advised Microsoft on all legal aspects related to the commercialisation of its cloud services to the public and private sectors, as well as regarding the regulatory framework for online videogames in Argentina.
- Counseled Mercedez Benz on all legal aspects arising from technologically-added services to its top range vehicles; cross border data transfer among subsidiaries, and between subsidiaries and cloud providers.
- Assisted Mondelez Argentina with all contracts and regulatory matters involved in its interactive advertising campaigns and sweepstakes.
Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro
Experienced in multidisciplinary and cross-border technology work, Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro handles contractual agreements, disputes and regulatory advice for clients across the sector. Complimented for ‘the detail of the answers and the knowledge and experience of the team’, the practice group is increasingly active in the areas of edtech, software development, insurtech, fintech, payment services providers and digital banking. Corporate law expert and practice head Gonzalo Oliva Beltrán focuses on the technology sector and receives strong support from senior associate Lucía López Laxague, who has particular expertise in multinational data security issues and cross-border transfers of data.
‘Bodlegal is a highly customer-oriented firm, in their meetings, their emails and their meetings, kindness, respect, competence and professionalism always stand out. They knew how to guide us in our terms and conditions for an online service, delimiting and distancing us from medical and emergency services. While integrating the policies and terms of other telecommunications services involved in the process.‘
‘Bodlegal is a firm that works as a team. We worked mainly with Gonzalo Oliva Beltrán and Lucía López Laxague, but throughout the employment relationship they introduced us to their colleagues to the extent that they could contribute their expertise to the needs we had.‘
‘The plus they offer is the one-on-one contact, the time they take to understand our business and our needs, the clarity with which they translate their work into the legal language and their availability.‘
Martínez de Hoz & Rueda represents technology companies and non-technology companies active in TMT issues arising from software licenses, data protection, privacy and cybersecurity, cloud computing and IT law. As well as regulatory and contract matters, a key area of practice for the team is the digital transformation of traditional banking institutions. TMT and banking and finance specialist Martín Lepiane co-leads the team in conjunction with experienced associate Marcos Blanco, whose experience ranges from privacy and data protection to fintech regulation and implementation.
Martín Lepiane; Marcos Blanco
‘In our experience with the Martinez de Hoz & Rueda studio, the analysis of the various issues, although coordinated by our account manager, is carried out by different members of a team that provides the appropriate answers as required by our activities.‘
‘They stand out for the certainty in the answers, the depth of the analyses carried out and the experience in the development of each topic. Our main point of contact is Martin Lepiane who is an excellent professional and treated us very well. Clear and precise.‘
Fortex / Prex
Delta Patagonia (licensee of “Gulf Oil” trademark)
- Represented The Cyprinus (Spanish SaaS provider) in connection with a broad corporate reorganisation to carry out business in Latin America and an initial round of venture capital investment.
- Assisted Fortex with the implementation of a digital payment platform, prepaid card, outsourced crypto services and online foreign exchange broker (Prex and Fortigold) in Argentina.
- Assisting Chronoswallet with the implementation of a digital payment platform in Argentina.
MBP Partners - Abogados
Recommended for its ‘knowledge of the industry and market trends', MBP Partners - Abogados has a particular niche in fintech and innovative banking matters, drawing from expertise within the firm in the areas of finance and banking law. Regulatory advice to fintech clients in Argentina and across Latin America is a key area of work for the practice. Practice head Ignacio Meggiolaro is the go-to name in the area for his specialisms in banking, finance, fintech, capital markets and compliance law.
‘The team is excellent, led by committed partners prepared to meet the challenges of the industry.‘
‘People are highly trained professionals, close to customers, very easily accessible, with a lot of knowledge of the industry and market trends.‘
Ank (Itaú Unibanco)
PedidosYa (Delivery Hero)
- Legal counsel to Ripio on the new strategy for its P2P lending business unit.
- Legal counsel to MercadoLibre’s fintech and regulatory team, particularly in realtion to the release of new fintech products.
- Legal advice to TAP from its early stages as a start-up, particularly as regards the release of new fintech products.
Sáenz Valiente & Asociados
Best known for representing media, entertainment and telecoms companies, medium-sized corporate firm Sáenz Valiente & Asociados specialises in complex regulatory matters and disputes, supplemented by expertise in M&A and competition. Communications-law expert María Lucila Romero is a key name in the team.
José María Sáenz Valiente (h); Ignacio Sáenz Valiente; Damián Cassino; María Lucila Romero