Real estate specialist Zang, Bergel & Viñes Abogados maintains its pre-eminent position in the market by advising on a comprehensive range of matters, including commercial, mixed-use and residential developments, shopping centres, retail and shopping arcades, hotels and special housing developments. The team has strength and expertise in purchase, sale, lease and barter transactions, as well as in the areas of property development, brokerage, construction, recycling and project management. Another distinguishing factor of the practice is its agricultural-sector expertise, advising domestic and international agriculture and livestock companies on real estate issues. The eight-strong team is co-led by Fernando Aguinaga, whose practice encompasses corporate law and M&A, real estate, agribusiness and sports law; and Juan Manuel Quintana, whose strengths include real estate, agribusiness, competition law and insurance matters. Also notable in the field is Pablo Vergara del Carril, and M&A, corporate law and foreign investment expert with considerable experience regarding investments and transactions in the sector. Key associate support comes from experienced senior, Inés Poffo.
Real estate in Argentina
Fernando Aguinaga; Juan Manuel Quintana
‘The ZBV team is exceptional. We are an innovative company and leader in real estate. ZBV has been accompanying us on this path for more than 30 years without losing its tenacity and freshness in search of new structures. The lawyers who make ZBV different in this matter are: Fernando Aguinaga, Ines Poffo and Juan Manuel Quintana. They accompany us in innovation. There is never a “no” for an answer. What comes is the solution to the request.‘
IRSA Propiedades Comerciales
- Advised IRSA Propiedades Comerciales on the sale of two floors and sixteen garages of the building that IRSA PC constructed on Avenida Eduardo Madero, Buenos Aires (called “200 Della Paolera”), to buyer Banco Industrial for a sum of $16.9m; the transaction closed in June 2020.
- Advised IRSA PC on the sale of the “Torre Bouchard” located at Bouchard 710, Buenos Aires, to PBB Polisur for $87.2m.
- Advised IRSA on the AR$576m sale of a share package in the developer Manibil (49% of its holding) to Land Group.
Representing real estate owners, project developers, property managers, lenders and investors, the six-strong practice at Beccar Varela provides broad ‘experience in the sector and a lot of knowledge of common problems’. The team's core strengths include acquisition and sales, property management and leasing, financings, restructuring and portfolio transactions in the real estate sector. Regulatory expertise is another key strength of group, which it combines with a specialisation in project finance. Highly-regarded practice head Pedro Nicholson is a well-known and highly respected figure in the market; he focuses on real estate, M&A and commercial law. Corporate, capital markets and project finance specialist Pedro Silvestri, who was raised to the partnership in April 2021, is also active in the sector, primarily on transactional matters; while dedicated senior associate Delfina Calabró is also noted.
‘Great knowledge of a very specific sector’.
‘Experience in the sector and a lot of knowledge of common problems’.
‘Identification with the objectives of the company, excellent knowledge of the practices required by a company with foreign capital’.
‘The partner in charge, Pedro Nicholson, is probably the most specialised real estate lawyer in the country’.
Fideicomiso El Anexo – Estancia Villa María
- Ongoing advice to CasaQuadra regarding the legal framework for the structure of residential projects which will be financed with green bonds; during 2020 counsel also included the negotiation and execution of a joint venture agreement with Ecipsa, one of the largest real estate developers in the provinces of Argentina.
- Assisting Fideicomiso El Anexo – Estancia Villa María with the legal and operative merger of an existing and very well-known gated community and country club in the Province of Buenos Aires, with a neighbouring gated community.
- Advice to JB Developers on the structuring and day-to-day operations of the development of a luxury real estate project located in Pilar, Buenos Aires province, known as “SLS Pilar Residences”, as well as on the block-sale of 33 units to local investment fund Cross Capital.
Marval O’Farrell Mairal leverages its top-tier corporate practice to specialise in advising on transactional real estate matters, particularly sale and purchase transactions, investment deals, real estate finance and leasing. It also has robust development expertise and its close relationships with key clients Hilton Hotels and property tycoon Edmond Safra underpins a significant proportion of that work. Corporate-finance partner Hernán Slemenson co-heads the practice and spearheads much of the group’s activity in the hospitality sector. Department co-head Diego Chighizola is an impressive up-and-coming real estate specialist.
Hernan Slemenson; Diego Chighizola
Guggenheim Nicklaus Partners
Pegasus Real Estate
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
JP Morgan Chase Bank
ABN Amro Bank (Argentina)
Nassef Sawiris (NNS)
Nicholson y Cano Abogados’ six-strong team is well versed in all the key stages of real estate work, from investment and acquisitions, through financing, construction and development, through to commercial exploitation. The group’s longstanding relationship with Pegasus Group translates into a prominent development practice, which is particularly active in shopping centre and mixed-use developments. Other sweet spots include leasing and investment matters. Department head Agustín Pérez Cambiasso has a focus on real estate, construction and infrastructure law. Key associate support comes from Sofía Schiariti.
Agustin Perez Cambiasso
Colegio San Andrés
Swiss Medical Group
Club de Polo La Reconquista
CEDU (Cámara de Emprendedores y Desarrolladores Urbanos)
Club Universitario de Buenos Aires
Nuevas Marinas del Plata
- Assistance to Grupo Pegasus with the ongoing sale and operation of Tortugas Open Mall Shopping Center, involving -during the course of 2020- furhter expansion of the shopping center, with the construction of an additional 11.000 square-metres on different levels, a cinema complex and food court expansion.
- Continuing advice to Asociación Civil Educativa Escocesa San Andrés (Saint Andrew’s Scots School) on a project which consists in transferring its educational centers to a new location called Campus San Andrés in Bancalari, San Fernando, Buenos Aires Province; the counsel includes legal advice ion the contracting of construction works and services for the new establishment.
- Ongoing advice to Pegasus Group affiliate NU Buenos Aires regarding a new mixed-use development project with residential units, professional studios and a parking area in the Recoleta neighbourhood, Buenos Aires.
The leading practice in the power-generation-facilities construction segment in Argentina -and a strong player in gated-community developments- the team at Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen also advises on a range of purchase, sale and lease matters across the sector. The nine-strong practice has a proven track record in construction and financing issues, as well as development projects related to housing, urbanization and industry. Development and real estate specialists Guillermo Quiñoa and Santiago Daireaux co-lead the team with Pedro Eugenio Aramburu, whose focus is more transactional. Key associate support is provided by Cristian Chang.
Guillermo Quiñoa; Santiago Daireaux; Pedro Eugenio Aramburu
‘This year we have executed a complex real estate transaction in record time with financing involved’.
‘Excellent work of Diego Serrano Redonnet and Danilo Parodi in the finance side and Francisco Romano in real estate’.
‘The team is approachable and willing to work closely with in-house attorneys. Its members have a high level of technical knowledge that matches the practical needs of the company’.
‘The practical experience in addition to the technical knowledge is an added value’.
Ayres Desarrollos (Chile – Argentina)
Mercado Libre (Argentina)
Dow Chemical Argentina
Grupo Luksic (Chile)
- Advised Dow Chemical Argentina on the purchase of an entire building -the “Bouchard Tower”- and several units of “Boston Tower”, both first class building with LEED certification.
- Advised Hewlett Packard Argentina on the sale of its headquartes in the City of Buenos Aires and the leasing of its new headquarters in the Province of Buenos Aires.
- Advised CCU Chile in connection with the purchase of rural properties located in the province of Mendoza and San Juan, obtaining the necessary clearances from the Rural Land Registry and Border Zones Authorities.
Acting for a diverse portfolio of international construction and development clients, the nine-strong team at Baker McKenzie provides legal advisory, tax and insurance planning, and brings to bear its experience in labour-cost controls as part of its offering in the real estate sector. The practice has a core focus on acquisitions, property development, commercial leasing and environmental issues, and also handles disputes arising in the sector. Practice head Alejandra Bugna is 'very solid' and 'knows how to negotiate'; she is particularly adept at handling cross-border construction and real estate transactions. Corporate transactional partner Martin Roth is also active in the sector as required.
‘Very professional team and committed to the result. Anticipate critical issues in negotiation’.
‘Fully bilingual team which simplifies relations with internal stakeholders in multinationals’.
‘Excellent commitment and quality of work. Knowledge of the business’.
‘Great sense of urgency and practical point of view’.
‘They work like an American firm. They have a lot of order and technology. Nothing is left to circumstances’.
‘Alejandra Bugna is very solid. She knows how to negotiate and her good faith is always perceived’.
‘Excellent team. In knowledge and expertise, interpersonal treatment and delivery’.
‘Very collaborative team, with clear proposals’.
‘It stands out for its practicality, availability and efficiency when working’.
Abbott Laboratories-Laboratorio Internacional Argentino
Caruso & Asociados / Jardines de la Facultad
CyC Arquitectura / CyC Emprendimientos
Closure Systems International
Knock Out International (OR Promotions)
- Ongoing work for Caruso & Asociados / Jardines de la Facultad on several projects including commercial lease agreements to be entered into with Embassy officers and the construction of a five-star hotel located in the City of Buenos Aires.
- Continued work for CyC Emprendimientos on the preparation of sale public deeds, barter public deeds, sale contracts, bills of sale, and corporate and financing structures for the development and implementation of two new real estate projects in the City of Buenos Aires.
- Assisted Knock Out International (OR Promotions) with the negotiation and drafting of long-term agreements for the lease of a well-known boxing stadium in Argentina.
Bomchil specialises in negotiating contracts for a range of projects, in particular new models for large-scale real estate developments. The firm’s expertise covers project financing, trust formation, development, construction and zoning, as well as advising on tax and regulatory issues in relation to real estate. Key projects that the practice has worked on include the construction of diverse industrial facilities, the development of residential and resort complexes, and the acquisition of real estate for the hotel industry. Adrián Furman has a particular focus on M&A and real estate in the entertainment, retail, hospitality, tourism and food sectors. He co-leads the team with transactional specialist Javier Petrantonio. Senior associate Francisco Zappa is also primarily focused on transactional matters; he demonstrates 'great knowledge of all the peculiarities of the area, its structures, vehicles, risks and solutions.'
Adrián Furman; Javier Petrantonio
‘What makes this team unique is its creativity and dynamics, combined with excellence in the work provided. They are very dynamic people, with immediate response and who perfectly understand the real estate business’.
‘They have the necessary flexibility that the market requires while maintaining a high degree of responsibility and reliability. I was surprised by their adaptation in times of pandemic. They have always provided uninterrupted work and have proven to be technologically up-to-date to face these new times. The technology in their meeting rooms really stands out too’.
‘Francisco Zappa always demonstrated having a great knowledge of all the peculiarities of the area, its structures, vehicles, risks and solutions. He is our point of reference within the firm for our real estate transactions’.
La Nación Group/Buenos Aires Arena
Integración Turística Hotelera / PepsiCo de Argentina
Ally Inversiones Inmobiliarias
- Advised Integración Turística Hotelera, owners of the hotel ‘Sheraton Mar del Plata’, on the negotiation of an agreement with Marriott International, for the operation of the hotel under the ‘Sheraton’ brand.
- Advised HIT in connection with the acquisition of real estate consisting of an entire floor in the landmark Al Rio office complex located in Vicente López, Buenos Aires province.
- Advised Buenos Aires Arena on all matters related to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on its business and operations as well as in alternative contracts to use parts of the venue for different activities during the pandemic.
Brons & Salas
The ‘knowledge of Argentine legislation is impressive’ at Brons & Salas, which contributes to the firm’s strength in real estate, rural land acquisitions and advising on the limitations of land ownership by foreigners. The practice is ‘always up to date with the latest practices and market developments’ and provides assistance to start-ups in the area, as well as traditional construction, infrastructure and engineering projects. Team leader Mariano del Olmo ‘stands out for his seriousness, commitment and professionalism’ and is backed by a group of experienced corporate and transactional associates including Laura Conde and Florencia Crivelli.
Mariano del Olmo
‘The knowledge of Argentine legislation is impressive and gave security to the signing of the contract considering that we are Brazilians starting activities in Argentina’.
‘The office works efficiently with technology. We hold meetings in Brazil and Argentina by video, discussing contracts. Technology makes work easier’.
‘Mariano del Olmo, Laura Conde, and Florencia Crivelli demonstrate total knowledge of the Argentine company’
‘The experience and professionalism of Mariano del Olmo from Brons & Salas is very competitive in relation to other peers’.
‘They are always up to date with the latest practices and market developments’.
‘Mariano Del Olmo stands out for his seriousness, commitment and professionalism. The speed of response and kindness. The strategic vision in relation to the advised company’.
Solar Turbines International
Gigawatt Global Coöperatief
Hotel Casino Tandil
Emprendimientos y Desarrollo
Global Investment Holding
San Jose Maria
Forage Genetics International
Simbiose Industria e Comercio de Fertilizantes e Insumos Microbiologicos
- Advised WPP Group on the $150m purchase of its AAA-rated, LEED certificate flagship building in Buenos Aires.
- Advised Grupo Peñaflor on the acquisition of rural land (with an aggregate value of $300m), in the Provinces of Mendoza, San Juan, Salta, Catamarca and Neuquén (including well known estates or ‘fincas’ such as , La Rosa, Santa Ana and Gualtallary), obtaining all relevant approvals from the Rural Lands Registry and the Border Security Zone Authorities; as well as ongoing advisory regarding real estate regulatory matters.
- Ongoing advice to agricultural chemicals manufacturer Simbiose on a deal with Bayer Group that consists mainly primarily of (i) the acquisition of real estate and other assets in Argentina and Brazil; and (ii) the transfer of employees from Bayer Group to Simbiose.
The five-strong practice group at Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi is ‘very good technically' and 'proactive in solving problems’ for foreign and domestic developers, lenders, investment banks, and real estate funds and investment trusts. The team advises across the spectrum of real estate related transactions, as well as on development projects throughout Argentina, including office buildings, residential homes, apartment buildings and luxury condominiums. Corporate and cross-border specialist Exequiel Buenaventura leads the team and is recommended as an ‘excellent partner' and 'technically very complete and capable’ in the real estate sector. Transactional senior associates Pilar Marcó ('very competent with pragmatic solutions') and Hernán Alal are also both noted.
‘The team is very good technically, and proactive in solving problems’.
‘Exequiel Buenaventura, is an excellent partner, technically very complete and capable. Always available to discuss issues, and advise efficiently’.
‘I have worked with Pilar Marcó and she has always responded very quickly in urgent cases. She has struck me as very competent with pragmatic solutions’.
‘Exequiel Buenaventura seems to me to be an excellent professional’.