Firm Profile > BARLAW – Barrera & Asociados S. Civil de R.L. > Lima, Peru
BARLAW – Barrera & Asociados S. Civil de R.L. Offices
AV. EL POLO 405, Of. 610
SANTIAGO DE SURCO
BARLAW – Barrera & Asociados S. Civil de R.L. > The Legal 500 Rankings
Intellectual property Tier 2
IP boutique BARLAW – Barrera & Asociados S. Civil de R.L. continues to expand both its client base and team, with three hires at associate level during 2019. New clients of the practice impressively include LEGO, Amazon, Under Amour and Kipling Apparel Corporation. Clients highlight the 'to-the-point and business-orientated advice’, 'personalised attention’ and the close relationship with the authorities of the firm's two partners Maria Ines Herrera and Adriana Barrera. They lead a team of 15 associates including seniors Medalith Albarracín, who handles trade mark and patent prosecutions, and Andrea Chunga, who is experienced in litigation, both at an administrative and judicial level.
‘They have great knowledge of IP law; very good networking with authorities; compliance with relevant standards. The highlights are their networking, personalised attention and corporate-standard service.’
‘I like working with a small practice of dedicated professionals and appreciate their great attention to handling industrial design filings on behalf of my clients in Peru.’
‘Excellent management capacity with authorities and they are responsive.’
‘The firm provides short and effective answers, with smooth and fast communication. They are always available. I would highlight the involvement of Maria Ines Herrera and Adriana Barrera as they are aware of our affairs and are always available.’
‘Finally we have found a local firm providing efficient and timely advice in this difficult jurisdition. Maria Ines Herrera and Adriana Barrera understand the client’s needs, and provide sound, business-oriented IP advice in a timely manner. They are also bilingual, which is very appreciated by us and our clients.’
‘I appreciate the pragmatic approach by BARLAW – Barrera & Asociados S. Civil de R.L. and value the to-the-point and business-orientated advice.’
‘Their strength is that they are proactive and strategic in every process or assignment they have. Definitely, it is a tier-one firm, not only for their expertise but also because they are involved in the business, with the ability to respond in a timely manner. Adriana Barrera, Andrea Chunga and Medalith Albarracín are extraordinary lawyers in the topics they lead.’
‘The law firm has a corporate vision, bringing practical solutions according to the client’s reality. Besides that, their personnel are well qualified and skilled. They are always professional and send the advice adding the corresponding action plans, making the decision process easier for us. Adriana Barrera and Maria Ines Herrera represent the proper way to deal with us.’
Amazon Technologies (Fenwick & West)
Kipling Apparel Corp
Honda Motor Co
Procter & Gamble
TEVA Perú / Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
PVH Group – Tommy Hilfiger
BARLAW – Barrera & Asociados S. Civil de R.L. > Firm Profile
BARLAW- Barrera & Asociados is an Intellectual Property boutique firm founded in August 2011 (9 years to date).
We handle all IP matters (patents, trademarks, copyrights, IP enforcement, IP litigation, IP licensing, Data Privacy, Internet and related matters), but we specialize and are leaders in the Peruvian market for IP litigation and enforcement. We have a strong prosecution practice with important clients, we handle interesting and complex cases.
Before founding BARLAW – Barrera & Asociados we were the IP department of Miranda & Amado law firm (Peru) from 2006 to 2011. At Miranda & Amado Mrs Barrera was partner of the Intellectual Property practice and Mrs Maria Ines Herrera was an associate.
Since 2018, BARLAW strengthened its leadership position in the legal services market with the merger (acquisition) of HA PUYO PATENTS & TRADEMARKS. HA PUYO is a law firm that has more than 100 years of professional experience in the field of industrial property and regulatory affairs, adding engineers and in-house translators to our staff.
Currently, our practice includes a wide spectrum of services such as:
- Registration, renewal, maintenance and monitoring of trademarks, slogans, trade names and domain names in Peru and other countries.
- Legal advice, protection and defense in all patent, utility models, industrial designs and plant varieties matters.
- Software and copyright protection.
- Clearance search reports.
- Trademark and other IP rights surveillance.
- Legal advice and recordal of change of name, address, licenses, assignments, mergers, demergers and acquisitions.
- Defense of Industrial Property rights and Copyrights, including any and all aspects related to oppositions, appeals, infringement actions, cancellations, nullities and civil administrative actions.
- Strategies against piracy and counterfeiting including IP rights recordal before Customs, investigations, market surveys, test purchases, raids, related legal actions, trainings, among others.
- Dissuasive strategies to cease illicit activities such as cease and desist letters, negotiations, settlement agreements and undertakings.
- Litigation and dispute resolution in civil and criminal cases related to IP matters.
- Legal advice, drafting and recordal of franchising agreements, license agreements, technology transfer agreements, co-existence agreements, and in general any contract or agreement involving Industrial Property elements.
- Legal advice in e-commerce and internet issues, such as strategies against piracy and counterfeit through social media and online platforms.
- Defense and legal advice in unfair competition, including legal advice in marketing and advertising campaigns.
- Defense in consumer protection matters.
- Regulatory affairs: Assistance for obtaining sanitary registrations: food & beverages, drugs/pharmaceutical products, cosmetics, veterinary products, agricultural products (pesticides, herbicides).
- Private data protection legal advice.
Nowadays, BARLAW team has 45 members. The group is composed by 17 lawyers and other professionals as: paralegals, translators, engineers, administrative support staff and accountants.
BARLAW has been recognized as a leader IP firm by different international rankings and magazines as: Legal 500, WTR 1000, Benchmark Litigation Latin America 2020, THE GLOBAL IP AWARDS – Trademark Firm of the year 2020, Managing IP Awards – Firm of the year 2020, Chambers & Partners, IP Stars, Leaders League, Latin Lawyer, The IAM Patent 1000 and Patent Lawyer.
|Adriana Barreraemail@example.com||+(51-1) 711-8002|
|María Inés Herrerafirstname.lastname@example.org||+(51-1) 711-8003|
|Medalith Albarracínemail@example.com||+(51-1) 711-8008|
|Andrea Chungafirstname.lastname@example.org||+(51-1) 711-8023|
|Giovana Palaciosemail@example.com||+(51-1) 711-8030|
|Catherine Escobedofirstname.lastname@example.org||+(51-1) 713-9960|
|Carlos Pulchaemail@example.com||+(51-1) 711-8026|
|Piere Abantofirstname.lastname@example.org||+(51-1) 711-8007|
|María Julia Goicocheaemail@example.com||+(51-1) 711-8010|
|Mr Piere Abanto||Associate||View Profile|
|Mrs Medalith Albarracín||Senior associate||View Profile|
|Mrs Adriana Barrera||Managing Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Andrea Chunga||Senior associate||View Profile|
|Mrs Catherine Escobedo||Off Counsel||View Profile|
|Ms Maria Julia Goicochea||Associate||View Profile|
|Mrs María Inés Herrera||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Giovana Palacios||Associate||View Profile|
|Mr Carlos Pulcha||Associate||View Profile|