K&L Gates > Beijing, China > Firm Profile
K&L Gates Offices
SUITE 1003, TOWER E3
ORIENTAL PLAZA, NO.1 EAST CHANG AN AVENUE
K&L Gates > The Legal 500 RankingsK&L Gates‘ Greater China IP practice ranges from portfolio management and prosecution work to litigation. Its expertise covers patent litigation, section 337 investigations before the US' ITC, and portfolio development matters in the US, Asia, Australia and Europe. Dividing his time between Hong Kong and Beijing, Jay Chiu is a widely respected US-qualified IP litigator; and Beijing counsel Edward Yao advises on IP creation, protection and enforcement work, along with anti-counterfeiting and licensing programmes. Hong Kong-based Winnie Chan advises on trade marks, copyright, designs, patents and domain names.
‘K&L Gates performs very well in the field of patent litigation – outstanding work.‘
Actions Microelectronics Co
Darfon Electronics Corp
Getac Technology Corporation
Guangdong Juxin New Materials Technology Co
OnePlus Technology (Shenzhen) Co
Realtek Semiconductor Corp
Shenzhen Haimingrun Superhard Materials Co
Shenzhen Nukun Technology Co
Zhengzhou New Asia Superhard Materials Composite Co
- Defending Luxshare Precision (a connector company) and its subsidiaries against patent infringement claims over electrical connectors and cages.
- Defended respondent Realtek Semiconductor Corp against patent infringement allegations concerning video processing devices and digital smart televisions.
- Representing Zhengzhou New Asia Superhard Materials Composite Co, Guangdong Juxin New Materials Technology Co and Shenzhen Haimingrun Superhard Materials Co in a USITC/Section 337 case, which was filed by US Synthetic in relation to polycrystalline diamond compacts and articles.
Morgan Stanley Private Wealth Group
Q Fund Management
- Assisted the principals of VS Partners to implement an endowment model of investing comprising a blend of typical investments and less traditional offerings.
- Organized one of the first limited partnership funds under Hong Kong’s new LPF Ordinance.
China > Tax: foreign firms Tier 3Roberta Chang, based in Shanghai, and Sydney-based global tax practice head Betsy-Ann Howe are key figures in the K&L Gates tax team, supported by associate Anita Zhou. The practice assists clients operating in China, including multinational companies, on cross-border tax issues, such as those pertaining to acquisitions and joint ventures, corporate restructurings, financings, and dissolutions. It also provides advice on tax considerations in administrative law controversies and appeal cases, as well as more general compliance advice.
Roberta Chang; Betsy-Ann Howe
Other key lawyers:
‘K&L Gates has broad spectrum of legal area coverage and provided truly one-stop-shop services.’
‘Frank Voon, not only with his legal professional skills, we are impressed with his close and proactive involvement in the project.’
3D Systems Corporation
BC Technology Group
China Zenix Auto International Limited
DiDi Chuxing Co., Ltd.
Getac Technology Corporation
Wolfspeed, Inc. (formerly known as Cree, Inc.)
- Represented Brookfield in its acquisition of a Singapore group of companies that will come to own approximately 200,000 square meters of land-use rights in Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu PRC.
- Acted for Wolfspeed, Inc. (formerly known as Cree, Inc.) as its international counsel in connection with the sale of its global LED business and transfer of employees in 12 countries to SMART Global Holdings, Inc.
- Advised DiDi Chuxing, a global e-hailing business, in its expansion of its hail-riding and food delivery service business into various jurisdictions including South Africa, Bangladesh, Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco, Nepal, Nigeria, Qatar, Sri Lanka and Tunisia, as well as on-going regulatory work in Japan.
‘Very thorough support. Frank Voon and Amigo Xie are recommended.’
‘Frank Voon and his team are knowledgeable, personable, and responsive.’
‘I recommend the firm for its understanding of regulatory landscape, relationships in China and excellent understanding of the market.’
Chalco Trading Hong Kong Co., Limited
Luye Pharma Group
Ortho Clinical Diagnostics
- Advised leading global genetics and diagnostic health testing company Prenetics and its wholly-owned U.K. subsidiary DNAFit on its acquisition of Oxsed (an Oxford University spin-off which developed the Oxsed RaViD test technology that provides COVID-19 test results within 15–30 minutes).
- Assisted TCL Holdings with its privatisation of Tonly Electronics (HKSE:1249) through a scheme of arrangement.
- Assisted Hines, a global real estate firm, with its acquisition of a Hong Kong joint venture company formed by Chinese and U.S. fund managers to develop, through a Chinese subsidiary, Walmart’s South China Fresh and Cold Food Supply Chain and Distribution Centre in the Guangdong Province of China.
K&L Gates > Firm Profile
The Firm: K&L Gates has seven offices that are strategically located in major financial and commercial centers across Asia. Our full-service Asia-based team is closely integrated with the firm’s offices in Australia, Europe, South America, and the United States. The collaboration across our global platform, coupled with our focus on long-term relationship building, allows us to effectively advise our clients on a national and global basis.
We established our presence in Asia by opening our Hong Kong office in 1996. Today, we are strategically located in key financial and commercial centers throughout Asia. We have lawyers on the ground in Beijing, Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Taipei, and Tokyo. In 2019, we further expanded our capabilities in Singapore by combining with Singapore law firm Straits Law Practice LLC, creating K&L Gates Straits Law LLC and becoming one of a few international law firms in Singapore with the capability to advise clients on Singapore law and cross-border legal issues. The combined firm has bolstered our disputes, corporate, funds, and banking and finance service offerings and further opened our global platform to clients across Southeast Asia. We also have designated India, Indonesia, and Malaysia practices, allowing our capabilities to span beyond our physical office locations.
Through our integrated network of offices, we are positioned to advise both domestic and international clients throughout Asia Pacific and beyond. Our lawyers understand the legal challenges that clients face today, and they have the experience to respond to those needs creatively and efficiently. Our on-the-ground experience, knowledge, and networks in each market enable us to give clients valuable insights into local policies and practices. We have advised local and multinational companies at every stage of their development in Asia, from local start-ups, to mid-sized overseas companies looking to enter the market or mid-sized regional companies looking for outbound opportunities, to experienced global businesses with well-established operations in the region. We also regularly advise local governments, NGOs, educational institutions, financial institutions, and other key market players. To learn more about our service offerings, visit klgates.com/services.
Asia: Beijing, Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Taipei, Tokyo. Australia: Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney. Europe: Berlin, Brussels, Frankfurt, London, Luxembourg, Milan, Munich, Paris. Middle East: Doha, Dubai. United States: Austin, Boston, Charleston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Fort Worth, Harrisburg, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York, Newark, Orange County, Palo Alto, Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh, Research Triangle Park, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington, D.C., Wilmington. South America: Sao Paulo.
Taiwan: Employment & Labour Law
Published: March 2022
Authors: Jacqueline Fu Cecilia Lee
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Employment & Labour Law laws and regulations that may occur in Taiwan.
Taiwan: Mergers & Acquisitions
Published: April 2022
Authors: Jacqueline Fu Joseph Tseng
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Mergers & Acquisitions laws and regulations that may occur in Taiwan.
Singapore: International Arbitration
Published: November 2022
Authors: Narayanan Sreenivasan S.C. Raja Bose Robert Houston
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to International Arbitration laws and regulations that may occur in Singapore.
China: Renewable Energy
Published: June 2022
Authors: Cindy Ha Christopher Tung
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Renewable Energy laws and regulations that may occur in China.