Venable LLP > Los Angeles, United States > Firm Profile
Venable LLP Offices
2049 CENTURY PARK EAST
LOS ANGELES, CA 90067
Venable LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsVenable LLP is instructed on M&A transactions by a national client base of both public and privately held companies. Charles Morton routinely appears on both buy- and sell-side transactions, boasting particular expertise of the consumer products, healthcare and technology sectors; he co-leads the practice alongside Bryan Rakes , an M&A, joint venture and financing transaction specialist, as well as Patricia McGowan who frequently advises REITs, financial institutions and healthcare entities on local corporate law.
Charles Morton; Robert Bolger, Jr; Bryan Rakes; Patricia McGowan
Other key lawyers:
Sharon Kroupa; Anthony Rosso; Michael Schiffer; Thomas Washburne
‘Our key point of contact is Bryan Rakes – I think he’s uniquely good at understanding issues and delivering good work on expected timelines.’
‘We love Bryan Rakes and would and do recommend him highly.’
‘Venable is absolutely best in class for Maryland law, particularly as it relates to REITs. They are always up to speed on developments, forward-thinking and also very commercial and practical in how they work.’
‘Patricia McGowan is excellent in all respects, but particularly with respect to Maryland corporate law and governance matters.’
‘The Venable team looks to understand how your business operates, so that helps negotiate M&A deals.’
‘They have a calm demeanor which is helpful in the heat of an M&A deal.’
Pinnacle Care International, Inc.
Special Committee of the Board of Directors of SmartStop Self Storage REIT, Inc
Special Committee of the Board of Directors of CIM Real Estate Finance Trust, Inc.
Huntington Bancshares Incorporated
Howden USA Company, Howden Roots LLC, and James Howden & Company Ltd
GenRock Capital Management and Quality Restaurant Group
Merkle Group Inc.
Riggs, Counselman, Michaels and Downes, Inc.
Cognizant Technology Solutions U.S. Corporation
All Roads Company and its subsidiaries
- Acted as Maryland counsel to the Company in its $22bn all-stock merger with Detroit-based TCF Financial Corp, creating a top 25 U.S. bank holding company.
- Acted as Maryland counsel to Affiliated Real Estate Entities of a Global Alternative Investment Management Company in its acquisition of QTS Realty Trust, a publicly traded data center REIT.
- Acted as Maryland counsel to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of CIM Real Estate Finance Trust, Inc.
Cynthia Lewin; George E Constantine
‘In our case, their expertise in Postal Service regulation and practice is most important. I believe they have a wide spectrum covering all important issues faced by nonprofits. While we are heavily involved in postal, when other issues come up, Venable is very helpful.’
‘Eric Berman is our lawyer for postal matters. He spent a couple of years getting fully up to speed before his predecessor retired. The hand-off was seamless. Eric brought new perspectives to postal matters and experience in other matters affecting nonprofits. He is very hard-working, available, and responsive to me and our board.’
‘Super smart lawyers; practical and strategic advice; always available for consultation; they treat client’s priorities as their own.’
‘Cindy Lewin. As a former in-house GC, she understands client needs impicitly. Very, very smart and a delight to work with.’
American Cancer Society
Alliance of Nonprofit Mailers
ALSAC/St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Association of Materials Protection and Performance
The Common Application (CommonApp)
Council for Advancement and Support of Education
Entertainment Industry Foundation
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
MPA – The Association of Magazine Media
National Association of Manufacturers
National Retail Federation
U.S. Chamber of Commerce
World Wildlife Fund
- Advised an entertainment industry foundation on licensing, corporate sponsorships, talent contracts, tax issues, and fundraising compliance nationwide for a blockbuster television fundraising program shown simultaneously on all networks and over 50 cable channels.
- Advised four large national nonprofit organizations on internal investigations related to potential self-dealing and harassment allegations.
- Assisted two major national charities with the design and implementation of their impact investing programs respectively, from negotiating side letters to advising on the tax exemption and securities aspects of direct investments in for-profit technology start-ups.
Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices Tier 2The healthcare and life sciences sector is the centerpiece of Venable LLP‘s accomplished national product liability offering and sees the firm regularly engaged as national counsel overseeing the litigation strategy for many high-profile clients including Merck. The Baltimore-based team also has niche expertise defending vaccine manufacturers in litigation brought by plaintiffs following adverse reactions and side effects. Kathleen Hardway regularly serves on nationwide trial teams in complex pharmaceutical disputes and is particularly adept at working with expert witnesses. As part of his broad trial practice, Craig Thompson is regularly engaged in pharmaceutical product liability litigation, including his current role as co-national counsel to Takeda in litigation related to its proton-pump inhibitor medications. During his career, Bruce Parker has been lead trial counsel in four mass torts and as well as his advocacy skills, he is also recognized for his ‘fantastic expertise in epidemiology and science’. Jason Rose co-chairs the group alongside Hardway.
Other key lawyers:
‘Bruce Parker has fantastic expertise in epidemiology and science, and is a pleasure to work with.’
Merck & Co., Inc.
Organon & Co
Takeda Pharmaceuticals U.S.A., Inc.
Daiichi Sankyo, Inc.
Laboratory Corporation of America
- Representing Merck in litigation related to its shingles vaccine, Zostavax, in which plaintiffs allege that the vaccine causes patients to develop shingles and, in more limited instances, eye and neurologic injuries, and that Merck’s label did not adequately warn users of these risks.
- Representing Takeda in litigation related to their proton-pump inhibitor (PPI) medications, including Prevacid and Dexilant, which treat acid reflux and GERD. In this litigation, plaintiffs allege that Takeda’s PPI medications cause certain kidney injuries.
- Representing Organon as national counsel for litigation related to Organon’s osteoporosis medication, Fosamax, in which the plaintiffs allege that Fosamax contributes to atypical femur fractures (AFFs).
Other key lawyers:
‘Roger Colaizzi combines extraordinary litigation skills, knowledge of the advertising and marketing skills, and a personal commitment to exceptional service. If you have legal problems in the realm of advertising and marketing, you should hire Roger.’
‘Roger actually listens to his clients and tailors his services to meet their needs.’
Premier Nutrition Corporation
Vitamin Shoppe Industries, Inc.
Sargento Foods, Inc.
Tri Union Seafoods LLC
Response Marketing Group
- Defended Trader Joe’s in a putative class action alleging misleading labeling of chicken products.
- Representing Premier Nutrition in ten class actions that allege that the Joint Juice products were falsely advertised.
- Representing Sargento, one of the largest privately held companies in the United States, and one of the country’s largest retail cheese companies in two actions which allege false advertising claims.
Emilio Cividanes; Stuart Ingis
Other key lawyers:
‘The Venable team is always willing and able to engage on thorny privacy and security concerns, and excels at working through complex questions with their client’s stakeholders. Ability to help make sense of how regulators are thinking about emerging privacy and security issues.’
‘The Venable team is extremely responsive and always willing to make time for their clients no matter the time or day an issue hits. In particular, Mike Signorelli and Milo Cividanes are fantastic partners on a whole host of privacy, security, and incident response matters, and Grant Schneider’s insights and experience have been invaluable to my team as we think through the increasingly complex regulatory landscape.’
‘This is the top firm in privacy and cybersecurity. It has a talented bench of professionals that includes not just senior partners, but also access to the top cybersecurity think tank at the Center for Cybersecurity Policy and Law. Venable has the ability to provide top legal services and also integrate that into a policy and lobbying campaign.’
‘A tremendous knowledge of what is happening behind the scenes in the administration and Congress.’
‘Venable’s team is very knowledgeable in regulatory matters. They understand the business well, and always provide advice tailored to the business. They are also creative, and help you find solutions to difficult issues.’
‘Julia Tama is very knowledgeable, and provides an excellent service. She is always able to provide accurate advice, while also finding creative solutions to difficult issues. Stu Ingis is extremely knowledgeable of different industries and the regulatory landscape.’
‘Stuart Ingis, Emilio Cividanes, Tara Potashnik, Robert Hartwell: each of these individuals are experts on Data Privacy and Data Security. They have a wonderful “can-do” spirit and show a willingness to roll up their sleeves and do the hard work and analysis with us. Robert, in particular, is very helpful and really feels like part of the team!’
Privacy for America
Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA)
Self-Driving Coalition for Safer Streets
Partnership for Responsible Addressable Media (PRAM)
Center for Cybersecurity Policy and Law
Association of National Advertisers (ANA)
Network Advertising Initiative (NAI)
American Association of Advertising Agency (4A’s)
Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB)
Early Warning Services
- Advised Privacy for America and engaged in dialogue with Senate and House staff and other regulators to discuss developments advancing comprehensive data privacy legislation in the United States.
- Advising the PPL WG on privacy, legal, policy, and other areas relevant to developing new standards for addressable media across the Internet.
- Acting as counsel to a coalition of advertising trade associations seeking to harmonize data standards that are being rolled out across states.
William Russell; Nora Garrote; James Nelson; Armand Zottola
Other key lawyers:
Rebecca Liebowitz; Anthony Rosso
‘A solid team that delivers great work and is great to work with while being very competitive from a pricing perspective.’
‘Anthony Rosso has been a great partner to our M&A team, assisting with numerous transactions over the years.’
‘Deep knowledge of the tech industry and the market standards for key terms and conditions. Excellent language skills (Spanish) and ability to convey complex concepts and structures to non expert audiences, which facilitates efficient decision making purposes.’
‘Nora Garrote is an attentive, kind and pragmatic attorney who is always willing to go the extra mile and provide timely support to complete important and urgent deliverables. I value her sense of responsibility, warmth and experience in dealing with complicated matters and a diverse array of counterparties. Rebecca Liebowitz is a charming, creative and detail-oriented attorney who is great at managing the portfolio of trademark applications and registrations that we hold in the US, Europe and Asia. I value her dedication, frankness and optimism.’
Dura-Line (subsidiary of Orbia Advance Corporation S.A.B. de CV)
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
DC Green Bank
The Carnegie Hall Corporation
- Advising GE Healthcare on structuring and negotiating complex technology-driven deals including a strategic collaboration with a major technology infrastructure provider to expand GE Healthcare product offerings and better serve GE Healthcare customers.
- Advising Dura-Line on various transactional matters, including the negotiation of two technology-centric strategic alliance agreements.
- Represented a major provider of medical technology products in a technology collaboration deal to make innovative use of artificial intelligence (AI) to better serve patients and providers in the medical field.
James Hanks; Sharon Kroupa
Other key lawyers:
Brian Field; Carmen Fonda; Patricia McGowen; Christopher W Pate
‘James is the king of REITs work, very good.’
Rexford Industrial Realty, Inc.
Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc.
Essential Properties Realty Trust
CIM Real Estate Finance Trust, Inc.
Digital Realty Trust, Inc.
Kimco Realty Corporation
SmartStop Self Storage REIT, Inc.
Extra Space Storage, Inc.
- Represented the REIT in connection with its acquisition of a publicly traded mortgage.
- Advised VEREIT, Inc. (“VEREIT”) in connection with its merger with and into a wholly owned subsidiary of Realty Income Corporation.
- Advised a group of affiliated entities in their proposed acquisition of a publicly traded data center REIT, including corporate law arising out of the transaction, with a particular focus on the merger agreement and the treatment of preferred stock in the merger.
Dominick Conde; Justin Pierce; Frank Gasparo; Michael Sandonato; Megan Woodworth
FCA US LLC
Urschel Laboratories, Inc.
Schaeffler Group USA Inc.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
Currax Pharmaceuticals LLC
Prudential Financial Inc.
Candid Care Co.
- Managed claims on behalf of FCA US in the ITC seeking to exclude certain motorized vehicles made and sold by Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd of India and Mahindra Automotive North America, Inc. (sold under the name “Roxor”).
- Representing Melinta and its subsidiaries in ANDA litigation regarding Nexus’s proposed generic version of Melinta’s injectable Minocin antibiotic.
- Filed multiple lawsuits on behalf of Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. against multiple companies for infringing patents covering Entresto®.
Leonard Gordon; Jeffrey Knowles
Other key lawyers:
Alex Megaris; Melissa Landau Steinman
‘Very experienced team with easy to understand advice, and effective communication.’
‘Wicked smart – great perspective on the marketplace and market condition. Extremely practical approach and transparent in their strategy. Depth of the team is unique, they spend a lot of time hiring talent so their Jr’s are top-notch and can handle an onslaught of work in a moment’s notice tremendous care for the client, their interests and the outcomes.
‘Alex Megaris is a unicorn smart. Work ethic, strategy. She is very personable and gets to the nitty-gritty quick and can explain in simple terms. Len Gordon is top-notch, easy to work with, crazy smart, connected and understands the technical aspect.’
‘Melissa Landau Steinman seems to know the answer to virtually every question thre advertising and marketing. She is able to balance friendly and approachable with professional and competent in a way that so many lawyers never learn to do. ‘
Response Marketing Group
iStream Financial Services
Kairos and Bilt Technologies, Inc.
Support King LLC
Officers of Yellowstone Capital
Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB)
Digital Advertising Alliance
Coalition for Better Ads
Data & Marketing Association (f.k.a. Direct Marketing Association)
- Representing iStream Financial Services (ISFS) in litigation brought by the FTC, against allegations of deceptive marketing and advertising practices related to its billing practices for an online discount club in which the FTC seeks in excess of $40 million.
- Representing Response Marketing Group in a joint lawsuit filed by the FTC and the Utah Division of Consumer Protection seeking in excess of $1 billion that challenges the company’s advertising and marketing for real estate education services.
- Advising Pokémon on sweepstakes and gaming and privacy issues.
Paul Debolt; Scott Hommer
Connected Global Solutions, LLC (Crowley Maritime Corporation)
Leidos Holdings, Inc.
CEdge Software Consultants, LLC
Crowley Government Services, Inc.
Securitas Critical Infrastructure Services, Inc., Landmark Event Staffing Services, Inc., and Securitas Electronic Security, Inc.
- Represented Connected Global Solutions, LLC in protesting an award of a $20 billion contract by the U.S. Transportation Command for global household goods relocation services.
- Represented Leidos, Inc. against a GAO bid protest filed by General Dynamics Information Technology, Inc. challenging the Defense Information Systems Agency’s (DISA) decision to award a $6.5 billion contract for global solutions management – operations services to Leidos.
- Represented CEdge Software Consultants, LLC protesting the U.S. Transportation Command’s decision to award a contract for enterprise IT services to a tribally owned 8(a) concern on a sole-source basis after the agency had initiated an 8(a) set-aside competition in violation of 13 C.F.R § 124.506(b) (UpSlope Advisors, Inc., B-419036, Nov. 25, 2020).
Other key lawyers:
Steven Adducci; Matthew Field; Gregory Wagner
Airlines for America
Aircraft Service International Group
BP Products North America
Delta Air Lines
HollyFrontier Refining & Marketing
Husky Marketing & Supply Company (a subsidiary of Cenovus Energy)
National Propane Gas Association
Orlando Fuel Facilities
Phillips 66 Company
United Parcel Service
Valero Marketing and Supply Company
Valero Renewable Fuels
- Representing a large coalition of pipeline shippers in a combined cost and market-based rate challenge brought against the nation’s largest petroleum product pipeline – Colonial Pipeline Company.
- Representing Husky Marketing & Supply and Phillips 66 in a challenge to tariff filings by TransCanada Keystone Pipeline to increase its rates for committed service on its crude oil pipeline from the Canada-U.S. border to points in Nebraska, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Texas, and in a challenge to Keystone’s committed rates charged in prior years.
- Representing a coalition of shippers involving refiners and end-users -such as airlines- before the California Public Utilities Commission protesting pipeline transportation and energy storage company SFPP’s submitted system-wide intrastate rate increase.
Other key lawyers:
William Sloan; Kathryn Floyd
Utility Solid Waste Activities Group (USWAG)
Maryland Department of Transportation
Athletics Holdings LLC
American Forest Resource Council
State Water Contractors, Inc.
Skipjack Offshore Energy, LLC
Resilient Floor Covering Institute (RFCI)
Tri-Union Seafoods (dba Chicken of the Sea)
- Representing Utility Solid Waste Activities Group (USWAG) in a wide range of issues impacting utility operations and site clean-up, including site assessment and remediation of former manufactured gas plant (MGP) sites and other legacy utility assets.
- Serving as lead environmental counsel for Maryland Department of Transportation in multi-modal project development across the state.
- Representing Athletics Holdings LLC, the owner of the Oakland Athletics baseball team, as it confronts the historic legacy of environmental regulatory neglect in West Oakland that sited polluting facilities adjacent to residential neighborhoods.
Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design Tier 4
Kenneth Roberts; Heidi Rowe
‘This practice is a group of highly capable and experienced yet business savvy problem solvers that know how to get contracts done while still protecting their clients to the fullest.’
‘Heidi Rowe is an excellent legal advisor who knows how to quickly focus on the primary risks and weigh them against the benefits of entering into a given transaction. She is highly responsive and efficient, as well as very persuasive. When things get tough, she is not afraid to litigate and is a fierce advocate.’
Itinera Infrastructure and Concessions
Iowa-Illinois Memorial Bridge
Trump Village Section 3
Tammany Owner LLC
44th Drive Owner LLC
- Advising the Metropolitan Council on the multi-billion-dollar 14.5-mile extension of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Green Line light rail line.
- Assisting the Iowa Department of Transportation and Lunda Construction with commercial issues and advancing the construction schedule of the new Iowa-Illinois Memorial Bridge in the Quad Cities.
- Advising Chicago-based developer Sterling Bay on drafting and negotiating construction contracts for a number of projects, including Sterling Bay’s $5-6bn 50-acre mega development known as Lincoln Yards on the North Side of Chicago.
‘They are knowledgeable about all the current rules and regulations as well as the politics/politicians behind them. Their advice is practical and routed in understanding of the laws and prior case law. In other words, they really know their stuff and give great and practical advice.’
Alaska USA Federal Credit Union
Applied Data Finance, LLC d/b/a Personify
Blend Labs, Inc.
Carta, Inc. (formerly eShares)
Cavalry Portfolio Services, LLC
Clarion Capital Partners, LLC
ClearPath Lending, Inc.
Electronic Transactions Association
Financial Health Network
Midland Credit Management
Pagaya Technologies, Ltd
Verizon Communications, Inc.
- Advising Pagaya Technologies, Ltd, a leading fintech company, in the development of a comprehensive enterprise-wide compliance management system, day-to-day U.S. federal and state consumer financial services, legal and regulatory compliance, and privacy and information security. Pagaya announced in September 2021 that it will go public via an $8.5 billion SPAC in early 2022.
- Advising Carta on financial services regulatory issues.
- Assisting Alaska USA in fair lending reviews related to its auto finance, mortgage, and personal loan businesses and are helping the credit union build and implement a revamped fair lending compliance operation.
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Government > Government contracts
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)