Venable LLP > Washington DC, United States > Firm Profile
Venable LLP Offices
600 MASSACHUSETTS AVE, NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20001
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Venable LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsVenable LLP‘s corporate group helps clients of all sizes, ranging from early-stage enterprises to Fortune 100 companies, navigate complex issues in the context of domestic and cross-border M&A, joint ventures, equity financings, SPAC transactions and corporate governance matters. Practice leaders Frank Ciatto, who splits his time between Washington DC and New York, and Robert Bolger in DC are experienced in the full spectrum of M&A transactions, and handle both buy and sell-side mandates. Charles Morton, a reference for M&A involving middle-market companies in the healthcare, technology and consumer products industries, is based between DC and Baltimore. Anthony Rosso in Baltimore often acts for publicly traded businesses, emerging growth clients and entrepreneurs in restructurings, M&A and commercial contracts, which are all core areas of activity for Daniel Straga in DC.
Frank Ciatto; Robert Bolger
Enterprise Security Solutions, LLC
Redwood Capital Investments
NavSight Holdings Inc.
Dechra Limited and Dechra Holdings US Inc.
GenRock Investment Fund II, LP
Glass House Capital Management Corporation
CorePoint Lodging, Inc.
CoreSite Realty Corporation
- Advised Dechra on five announced transactions.
- Advised ClassPass on its merger with Mindbody.
- Assisted ZeroFox in its acquisition of IDX and the creation of a publicly traded company via merger with L&F Acquisition Corp, a special-purpose acquisition company.
Stuart Ingis; Michael Signorelli; Emilio Cividanes; Julia Tama; Kelly DeMarchis Bastide
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm has deep relationships with regulators and legislators in various countries, which we are able to call upon when needed. This includes regulators in the UK, Ireland and Argentina among other countries.’
‘The firm and each one of the partners and associates with whom we work are incredibly well versed in our areas and focused on practical solutions.’
‘With Venable, you start off with great advice on day 1This is a testament to a terrific vetting and hiring process as well as a focus on cintinuing industry education by all the partners for incoming professionals.’
‘Mike Signorelli really does a great job.’
Privacy for America
National Business Coalition on E-Commerce and Privacy
Autonomous Vehicle Industry Association
- Advising Privacy for America in dialogue with Senate and House staff as well as other regulators to drive developments advancing comprehensive data privacy legislation in the US.
- Acting as general counsel for the Lidar Coalition on the advocacy for and drafting of landmark infrastructure legislation as well as other regulatory matters.
- Advising the National Business Coalition on compliance and privacy issues.
George E Constantine
Other key lawyers:
‘This practice has national reach and has been able to help us with federal tax-exempt issues as well as specific state campaign finance laws with a level of mastery we haven’t found elsewhere under one roof. They have helped us better understand our options given the risk landscape and simplify our approach to lobbying registration and how we create clear lines of work within and between our affiliated entities.’
‘Janice Ryan has an excellent understanding of the law, the application, and enforcement and how to guide clients through the nuances. She is extremely personable, an excellent listener, and very good at collaborating on solutions that match risk tolerance of her clients. She is very willing to make sense of tangles of facts to help spot and surface issues and find a way through to resolution with a steadying, analytical presence. She’s sensitive to deadlines and costs and never tries to overpromise or oversell.’
‘Lindsay Nathan and her team have been incredibly helpful resources to call on in times of need. As a nonprofit general counsel, there are a variety of nuanced governance- and compliance-related issues that Lindsay has helped us work through successfully. I also appreciate the fact that this team can refer other specialized questions to other teams within Venable when necessary.’
‘We’ve all been in situations where we need to put out an unexpected fire with only a moment’s notice – Lindsay Nathan is a person I have called during those times. She understands the balance between legal and business considerations. She communicates those considerations thoroughly. She is intelligent, knowledgeable, kind, and helpful.’
Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy
Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
Alliance of Nonprofit Mailers
Associated Universities, Inc.
The Common Application
DC Central Kitchen
Greater Baltimore Committee
Save the Children
- Assisted one of the nation’s largest membership organizations with concluding a multi-year Internal Revenue Service audit on extremely favorable terms, working through matters related to expense allocations and exposure to potential unrelated business income tax liability arising out of the organization’s massive royalty programs.
- Assisted DC Central Kitchen with negotiating and closing an innovative transaction for a new home in the district.
Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices Tier 2Co-headed by Kathleen Hardway and Jason Rose , Venable LLP‘s Baltimore-based product liability and mass tort team has a strong reputation in the life sciences space where it combines deep industry and technical knowledge with excellent strategic awareness and regulatory expertise to good effect in many big-ticket consolidated disputes. The team is commonly brought in to act as national counsel on MDLs and is very adept at working in a collegial fashion with other counsel in “virtual law firm” settings. A member of the American College of Trial lawyers, Craig Thompson is a key member of the team, particularly in the context of trial work, where he displays an excellent ability to distil complex scientific information into a compelling and simplified narrative for juries. The firm also has niche expertise defending vaccine manufacturers against claims of vaccine injury, an area that Dino Sangiamo is particularly accomplished.
Kathleen Hardway; Jason Rose
Other key lawyers:
Steve Marshall; Bruce Parker; Craig Thompson; Dino Sangiamo; John McCauley; Michaela Roberts; JaMar Mancano; Thomasina Poirot
Playboy Enterprises International, Inc.
Sargento Foods, Inc.
Vitamin Shoppe Industries, Inc.
Hubbell Power Systems, Inc.
Noble Foods Inc d/b/a The Happy Egg Co.
Premier Nutrition Corporation
E.T. Browne Drug Company, Inc.
Tri Union Seafoods LLC
- Represented Playboy in one of the country’s first cases involving NFTs, branding, and related intellectual property issues, in bringing an action on behalf of Playboy to stop the defendants’ fraudulent marketing use of Playboy’s world-famous branding and trademarks to deceive consumers into purchasing counterfeit NFTs.
- Represented Sargento in two actions related to Sargento’s label statement that its cheese is made from milk that does not contain antibiotics.
- Represented Vitamin Shoppe Industries, Inc. in Walters et al. v. Vitamin Shoppe Industries, Inc., a putative nationwide class action alleging that the labels of 44 different Vitamin Shoppe branded products were misleading.
James Nelson; William Russell; Armand Zottola
Caliza LLC (HelloLanding.com)
Glo Digital, Inc. (formerly YogaGlo, Inc.)
Shoshin Works, LLC
Electrify America LLC
- Advising GE Healthcare on technology collaboration deals, joint development deals, global distribution arrangements, technology and patent licenses, software licensing and SaaS/cloud transactions, artificial intelligence (AI) matters, and various other strategic alliances and ventures.
- Advising Caliza (a/k/a Hello Landing) in structuring and organizing its portfolio of customer and vendor agreements, as well as various advertising and trademark matters.
- Outside counsel to a global hospitality company in a variety of technology-related commercial transactions, including two private label arrangements for the online marketing and distribution of lodging accommodations and meeting space.
Other key lawyers:
Patricia McGowan; Carmen Fonda; Brian Field; Christopher W Pate
‘Venable is expert in its knowledge of the relevant MD statutes but equally commercial in giving advice. They aren’t solely academic in their approach, the way some local counsel can be. They apply commercial realities to their advice.’
‘The Venable team knows Maryland law as it relates to REIT corporate governance inside and out. Members of the team literally wrote much of it. By virtue of their expertise, they have seen every variety of REIT transactions and can give guidance on market terms as well as opining on legal issues. There is no better firm to advise on matters particular to Maryland REITs.’
‘The Venable REIT practice, lead by Jim Hanks, is extraordinary in their ability to work very well with other law firms and provide clear and helpful guidance, particularly guidance on how Maryland law differs from other jurisdictions, such as Delaware. There is no better firm to have as co-counsel as Venable. They are real and extremely helpful partners.’
‘Lead by Jim Hanks, the lawyers at Venable are all very smart, very diligent, very constructive and practical and most importantly very eager to help not only their clients, but also their co-counsel. They are very good team players. It is always a pleasure to work alongside them in any deal. The corporate and real estate lawyers also work very well with their other groups, and are able to problem-solve all aspects of a deal efficiently while achieving the best possible results for their clients.’
Rexford Industrial Realty
Alexandria Real Estate Equities
Essential Properties Realty Trust
CIM Real Estate Finance Trust
Kimco Realty Corporation
Digital Realty Trust
SmartStop Self Storage REIT
Extra Space Storage
Arbor Realty Trust
Ellen Berge; Andrew Bigart
Applied Data Finance
Clarion Capital Partners
Cavalry Portfolio Services
Electronic Transactions Association
First American Payments Systems
Greater Chautauqua Federal Credit Union
Boulevard Federal Credit Union
Greater Niagara Federal Credit Union
Midland Credit Management
- Advised Cavalry on regulatory compliance related to debt collection and debt buying.
- Advised Midland Credit Management on compliance, supervisory, and regulatory matters.
Dominick Conde; Justin Pierce; Frank Gasparo; Michael Sandonato; Megan Woodworth; Scott Reed; William E Solander; Timothy Carroll
Other key lawyers:
‘Great relationships and partner engagement’
‘Tim Carroll and Manny Caixeiro are immediately responsive and take a true “part of the team” approach to representative work. Valued partners.’
Bioverativ Therapeutics Inc., a subsidiary of Sanofi
Salix Pharmaceuticals, Bausch Health, and Alfasigma
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
MG Freesites Ltd
Simon Property Group
‘What makes this practice unique is that the Venable team are FTC experts, with extensive knowledge and experience of complex and challenging FTC cases.’
‘Eric Berman and Daniel Blynn are clearly experienced and knowledgeable, and can be relied on in a difficult and challenging case.’
‘The team at Venable stands out as having experienced and knowledgeable partners and associates, with significant experience dealing with the FTC at all levels including the commissioner level.’
‘Eric Berman stands out due to his extensive knowledge and market leading insights based on years of experience in this area.’
‘Eric Berman was a rock, he never wavered in his belief that he would achieve the best possible outcome for the client.’
‘Eric Berman and Daniel Blynn have extensive FTC experience and detailed knowledge, and so they can advise clients with authority and a detailed understanding that gives confidence that they will facilitate the best-case outcome that is available.’
‘Daniel Blynn talks with authority and compassion. He is able to talk through the intricacies of the case and what all the options would be for the client.’
‘Katherine Morrone who supported both Partners throughout a difficult and challenging case giving valuable insights and opinions when it really mattered. I always really valued Katie’s insights and found her to be considered and right at important moments.’
Response Marketing Group
iStream Financial Services
Gavin D. Southwell
Support King LLC
Data & Marketing Association
Kairos and Bilt Technologies, Inc.
- Representing Response Marketing Group, a national provider of educational training on how to invest in real estate and the stock market, against a joint lawsuit filed by the FTC and the Utah attorney general challenging the company’s advertising and marketing.
- Representing Active Network, LLC in litigation brought by the CFPB challenging the methods that Active uses to enroll consumers in its membership program.
- Advising ClassPass on advertising and regulatory compliance issues, including throughout its October 2021 merger with Mindbody, the leading experience technology platform for the fitness, wellness, and beauty industries.
Operating out of the firm's Washington DC, the energy team at Venable LLP acts as lead regulatory and litigation shipper counsel in crude oil, petroleum and NG pipeline cases before the FERC, with demonstrable experience in litigation surrounding market rates, ROE development and other major pipeline cost and revenue issues. Richard Powers leads the practice and focuses on crude oil, petroleum and NGL regulatory and litigation cases before the FERC and other public utility commissions. Steven Adducci frequently represents trade associations in the energy sector, while Matthew Field has experience litigating discrimination and jurisdictional issues before the FERC. Gregory Wagner has considerable experience in the regulated crude oil and petroleum products industries.
‘Accommodating to requests and knowledgeable with many years of relevant experience.’
‘Richard Powers, Joseph Hicks and Matthew Field are very knowledgeable. They work hard to support the issues at hand, to point out petitions that should be filed or actions/responses that should be taken. They draft strong, on-point briefs.’
Airlines 4 America
American Airlines, Inc.
BP Products North America, Inc.
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
HollyFrontier Refining & Marketing LLC
Husky Marketing & Supply Company (an indirect and wholly owned subsidiary of Cenovus Energy Inc.)
Metroplex Energy, Inc.
Monroe Energy LLC
National Propane Gas Association
Orlando Fuel Facilities LLC
Phillips 66 Company
Southwest Airlines Co.
Trafigura Trading LLC
TransMontaigne Partners LLC
United Airlines, Inc.
Valero Marketing and Supply Company
Valero Renewable Fuels LLC
- Representing a large coalition of pipeline shippers in a challenge brought against the transportation rates of the nation’s largest petroleum product pipeline – Colonial Pipeline Company, challenging Colonial’s cost-based and market-based rates. Together, the complainants are seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in damages and reduced transportation rate savings going forward.
- Representing the Husky Marketing & Supply Company and Phillips 66 Company in a challenge to tariff filings by TransCanada Keystone Pipeline, LP (Keystone) to increase its rates for committed transportation service on its crude oil pipeline from the Canada-U.S. border to points in Nebraska, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Texas, and in a challenge to Keystone’s committed rates charged in prior years.
- Representing Husky Marketing & Supply Company and BP Products North America Inc. in a challenge to an application by West Texas Gulf Pipe Line Company LLC (West Texas Gulf) to charge market-based rates for transportation of crude oil from the Permian region of West Texas to points in the Gulf Coast and East Texas.
With a core focus in bid protests, the government contracts department at Venable LLP is notably active in the defense and healthcare sectors in addition to logistics services. Paul Debolt co-heads the team from Washington DC and he is thoroughly knowledgeable of claims, data rights matters and internal investigations. Scott Hommer also co-leads the team and is located in Virginia, often engaged in administrative law issues as well as, contract and regulatory litigation. Rebecca Pearson in DC represents clients before the Department of Justice and federal courts on civil matters concerning government contractors. Also Virginia-based, James Boland is noted for his experience before the Court of Federal Claims and Government Accountability Office.
Paul Debolt; Scott Hommer
‘They are extremely well prepared. The technology used was updated, and ran without a glitch.’
‘They are strong attorneys with excellent judgment.’
‘I trust their judgment and ability to provide advice.’
Crowley Maritime, Inc.
PSSI Stadium, LLC
Global Elite Group
MetroStar Systems, Inc.
Analytic Services Inc.
- Succesfully protected the Department of the Air Force’s $83 million award for engineering and integration support for the Medusa system against a protest by Booz Allen Hamilton, Inc.
- Represented Crowley in challenging over $100 million in contract payments seized by the General Services Administration in connection with Crowley’s Defense Transportation Freight Services contract with the U.S.
- Acted for PSSI Stadium, LLC in successfully pursuing a SAFETY Act (Supporting Anti-Terrorism by Fostering Effective Technologies Act) application with the Department of Homeland Security.
Kenneth Roberts; Heidi Rowe
‘Heidi Rowe is our primary construction counsel at Venable. She consistently stands out for her zealous representation of our interests. She is obviously a subject matter expert with significant expertise in all areas of construction law, her deep knowledge is typically the factor that helps us achieve our best results in contract negotiation.’
Iowa-Illinois Memorial Bridge
Puerto Rico Fiscal Agency and Financial Advisory Authority
A major hospital
Tammany Owner LLC
Arisa Realty Co X LLC
Trump Village Section 3
- Advised the Puerto Rico Fiscal Agency and Financial Advisory Authority with respect to the Puerto Rico Transmission and Distribution System Operation and Maintenance Agreement (LUMA Contract).
- Acted as the primary construction counsel for the Metropolitan Council, advising on the 14.5-mile extension of Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota’s Green Line light rail line.
- Acted as outside construction counsel to Sterling Bay on several projects, including Sterling Bay’s 50-acre mega development known as Lincoln Yards on the North Side of Chicago.
Venable LLP > Firm Profile
Firm overview: Venable LLP is an American Lawyer Global 100 law firm headquartered in Washington, DC that serves as primary counsel to a worldwide clientele of large and mid-sized organizations, nonprofits, high-net-worth entrepreneurs, and other individuals. With more than 850 professionals across the country, including in California, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, New York, Virginia, and Washington, DC, the firm strategically advances its clients’ objectives in the U.S. and around the globe. Venable advises clients on a broad range of business and regulatory law, legislative affairs, complex litigation, and the full range of intellectual property disciplines.
Corporate and business transactions: Venable represents and advises individual and corporate clients on banking and financial services matters, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, banking regulations, corporate finance and securities, employee benefits and executive compensation, franchise and distribution, mergers and acquisitions, mezzanine finance, real estate and land use, strategic alliances and joint ventures, taxation, technology transactions and outsourcing, and trusts and estates. Venable represents and advises state and local governments and nonprofit organizations on municipal and tax-exempt finance and tax compliance. Clients include Fortune 100 corporations, entrepreneurs, family businesses, venture capitalists, underwriters, investors of all descriptions, state and local governments, and nonprofit corporations and associations, including healthcare and educational institutions.
Government and regulatory affairs: Venable advises clients on a wide array of issues related to pending legislation, government contracts, regulatory matters, and cybersecurity and risk management before state and federal authorities. The Venable team has extensive experience working with officials in numerous executive branch agencies, including the departments of agriculture, energy, defense, health and human services, homeland security, justice, treasury, and transportation. Venable attorneys and legislative advisors also work closely with the Environmental Protection Agency, Federal Trade Commission, Federal Communications Commission, Postal Regulatory Commission, US Postal Service, Food and Drug Administration, Consumer Product Safety Commission, OSHA, US Patent and Trademark Office, Federal Reserve Board, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and other financial services regulatory agencies. Venable provides its clients with a full complement of government affairs and legislative support, including political analysis, issue management and direct advocacy, and preparation of draft legislation, congressional testimony, and committee report language.
Litigation: Venable’s litigation practice is broad enough to handle virtually all areas of civil and criminal law, and deep enough to handle bet-the-company litigation. General counsel at Fortune 500 companies look to the firm’s trial lawyers on matters ranging from defense against class actions to internal investigations. Venable handles all major areas of litigation, including appellate, products liability and mass torts, commercial disputes, labor and employment, antitrust, intellectual property, class action, and SEC and white-collar defense. Venable’s many former federal prosecutors have considerable experience conducting internal investigations and representing clients in administrative and grand jury investigations.
Technology and intellectual property: Venable’s IP attorneys practice in every aspect of intellectual property law, including patent prosecution and litigation, trademark copyright, brand protection, trade secrets, antitrust, and unfair competition. With technical backgrounds and experience extending across a host of industries and technologies, the firm’s attorneys advise clients on all issues pertaining to domestic and foreign patents, trademarks, and copyrights. Venable also negotiates and drafts domestic and international licenses, joint venture and technology transfer agreements, and research contracts. Venable’s IP litigators represent clients before the International Trade Commission and aggressively enforce and defend intellectual property claims in venues across the country.
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: transactional and regulatory
- Energy > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Energy > Energy regulation: oil and gas
- Government > Government contracts
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)