García & Bodán > San Salvador, El Salvador > Firm Profile
García & Bodán Offices
83 Avenida Sur, No 403
segundo Nivel, Colonia Escalón
García & Bodán > The Legal 500 RankingsGarcía & Bodán leverages its regional strength, coordinating with the firm’s offices in Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica to manage and protect the trade mark, copyright and patent portfolios of major household-name multinationals, including PepsiCo, Sky International, Armani and United Airlines. Led by respected IP enforcement expert Julio Vargas, who has key expertise in complex administrative and judicial litigation, the team handles anti-piracy and anti-counterfeiting actions, the procurement and maintenance of health registrations, and compliance matters. The team’s client base includes well-known names in the food and beverages, retail, consumer products, entertainment, education and aviation sectors, and it has seen substantial growth in the apparel and food delivery spaces. Senior associate Fermina Bolaños Meardi, a specialist in regulatory affairs and IP tech issues related to cybersquatting, data privacy and consumer protection, is also noted.
‘We have used García & Bodán for years for the quality of the service they offer us and the speed and accuracy with which they respond to our requirements.’
‘The personalised service they offer stands out above others.’
The Kraft Heinz Foods Company
PedidosYa (Delivery Hero)
- Advised Mattel on anti-piracy measures to protect its IP rights from importations from China (which infringed the client’s copyright over the “Barbie” doll) and from trade mark infringement of the “Uno” game.
- Advised PedidosYa on the registration of its trade mark portfolio and defended the brand against infringements by bringing opposition proceedings against similar trade marks.
- Acted for Sky International in administrative litigation in defence of its “Sky” trade mark.
Logística Comercial El Salvador (Herbalife Distributor)
First Cash Financial Services
Industrias La Constancia
Stanley, Black and Decker
Novae Aliados Agroindustriales El Salvador
- Advised Pan-American Life Insurance Group (PALIG) on the creation and authorisation of a new Salvadoran insurance company named Pan American Life Seguros de Personas, with the purpose of migrating its operations.
- Advised Scala Higher Education on its day-to-day operations and the legal, corporate and tax structure required to provide services to universities in Central America.
- Advised Novae on the process of opening operations in Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua.
Carnes Procesadas (Grupo Capsa)
Sky International (The DirecTV Group)
- Acting for Mattel in various IP-related cases, including filing criminal claims before the Attorney General’s Office in Sonsonate to secure the seizure of counterfeit products and prosecute the infringers.
- Representing Sky International in administrative litigation to protect the “Sky” trade mark.
Graciela Cruz; Julio Vargas
Comlade – Lala
- Advising Mexican and Argentinean pharmaceutical companies Laboratorios Bagó, Bago Group and Armstrong Laboratorios de México on the management of their trade mark portfolios.
- Acting for Fox in several actions seeking to enforce its IP rights against local cable operators which are transmitting Fox programming without the proper licences or payments.
- Advising Cargill on the procurement and maintenance of various Honduran health registrations and licences for its products.
‘García & Bodán provides clients with clear, direct and transparent communication, offering an excellent service.’
‘Lía Incer stands out for her ability to solve problems quickly and efficiently.’
‘Julio Vargas has extensive experience in managing brand portfolios for local and international clients, anticipates our needs as clients and provides us with a broad vision of possible solutions for our cases.‘
‘Lia Incer is always quick and precise in her answers to our questions.’
‘The García & Bodán team stands out for its mastery of IP issues. The team provides exceptional follow-up on the matters entrusted to it and provides useful and valuable information that allows clients to make decisions not only on day-to-day matters, but also those that are more sensitive and unusual.’
‘Lía Incer stands out for her helpful, immediate and courteous responses.’
‘The team is very responsible, committed and punctual in its responses.’
Laboratorios La Santé
Grupo América Móvil/Claro
Bagó Group Alltech
Yara Costa Rica
- Advising Yara Costa Rica on the health registration of its fertiliser products in Nicaragua and El Salvador, as well as its registration as an authorised manufacturer of fertilisers for agricultural use.
- Assisting PepsiCo with the procurement and maintenance of all required Nicaraguan health registrations and licences for its cereals and snacks product lines.
- Advising Juul Labs on the protection of its trade mark portfolio and copyright issues relating to its accessories designs.
García & Bodán > Firm Profile
García & Bodán ensures uniformity and excellence in its legal services. It is a full-service law firm with eight offices in Central America, located in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
García & Bodán has a team of highly qualified attorneys, who graduated with honours from prestigious national and international universities; recognized for their expertise in complex transactions in a context of rapid change and a competitive business environment and well known for their pragmatic and business-minded approach to the legal issues brought forth by clients.
García & Bodán’s team not only serves and supports its clients in all legal activity required in accordance with their businesses, but also guides foreign investors when entering a new country.
The firm’s main policies are:
- Fast response in a maximum of three hours during office hours and not more than 24 hours during non-office hours.
- Observance of conflicts of interests at regional level, not at an individual office.
- Answers always well founded in law, making reference to the applicable law or disposition.
Main areas of practice
Corporate and transactional: García & Bodán has participated in complex transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring and elaboration of due diligence in a variety of industrial sectors.
Tax: this practice area is one of the supporting pillars to clients in their investments and businesses in Central America. García & Bodán elaborates and develops tax planning services to maximize clients’ profitability, all in accordance with the laws in force in each country.
Banking and finance: the team provides advice on both unique and complex financial transactions, such as: syndicated bank financing, structured finance, sovereign bond issues, private bond issues, project finance, financing of acquisitions and derivatives, purchase and sale of debt portfolios, trusts, among others; as well as in the area of current regulation of financial markets.
Capital markets: our capital markets practice focuses on advising public and private companies seeking to raise capital, and assisting them in structuring alternative forms of financing, advising them on the best capital structures to meet their business objectives.
International trade: this area is characterized by providing support to national, regional and international companies in matters derived from their commercial activity, the efficiency of their import, export and transit processes, as well as the relationship that the companies sustain with the different public-private representatives, contributing together to strengthen their competitiveness and access to markets.
Intellectual property: this practice focuses in litigation of patents and actions against trademark infringement, handling of brand portfolios, brand monitoring, health records and legal advice on copyrights and other IP rights.
Litigation and arbitration: this practice group is in the capacity of solving disputes through the use of dispute resolution mechanisms or, if necessary, through litigation before courts of all the jurisdictions, including specialized courts.
Real estate: it is characterized by its active participation in the most important tourism-related transactions, especially in Nicaragua, Guatemala and Honduras. It provides advice to real estate developers, hotel operators and condominium developers, among others.
Labor: García & Bodán provides labor law services in general, including preventive legal advice, ranging from individual to collective issues, and from administrative labor law to full-fledged litigation.
Energy and natural resources: the firm’s expertise covers all areas and activities of the energy and natural resources sector, including oil and gas.
|Rodrigo Benítez Nassar||Associate||View Profile|
|Fermina Bolaños Meardi||Senior Associate||View Profile|
|David Claros Flores||Senior Associate||View Profile|
|Mauricio Orellana Caballero||Senior Associate||View Profile|
|Oscar J. Torres Cañas||Partner||View Profile|
|Julio C. Vargas Solano||Managing Partner||View Profile|