Seyfarth Shaw LLP > Chicago, United States > Firm Profile
Seyfarth Shaw LLP Offices
233 SOUTH WACKER DRIVE
CHICAGO, IL 60606 - 6448
Seyfarth Shaw LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsSeyfarth Shaw LLP fields a fully integrated immigration team handling all business immigration matters at the intersection of employment law. Senior partners Russell Swapp and James King jointly manage the team out of Boston and Atlanta, respectively and are key contacts for high-volume, complex immigration legal issues for some of the largest companies in the US. As former director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services, and former Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the Civil Rights Division, Washington DC-based Leon Rodriguez is well-positioned to advise clients in immigration regulatory and policy development, and is a sought-after counsel to clients on strategic business decisions concerning immigration and global mobility. Gabriel Mozes is an experienced business immigration advisor with specialized expertise in PERM program counselling, H-1B third-party placement and right to control issues, as well as high-volume TN cross-border work. For foreign nationals’ immigration matters Sharon Cook is the key contact in Atlanta. The vastly experienced Angelo Paparelli works out of Los Angeles, and is a specialist in employment and investment-related immigration law. With Dawn Lurie, also in DC, recommended for her extensive expertise in immigration compliance and EB-5 investment strategy, Michelle Gergerian assists in global mobility matters out of the Boston office. Jacob Cherry joined the New York office from Ogletree Deakins in April 2022.
Russell Swapp; James King
Other key lawyers:
‘Team is always thinking holistically about the immigration program and willing to revisit/amend any immigration processes to make things easier for both our firm and our employees. They also have an immigration platform they are consistently upgrading.’
‘Gabriel Mozes is the Partner on our account and is very involved in day-to-day matters. He is just as involved in mundane tasks like prepping H-1Bs or assisting with PERM certifications in addition to any complex immigration issues. Our foreign national employees trust and enjoy working with him which makes for a much smoother experience when dealing with deeply personal matters like immigration.’
‘The team works well together and are able to provide the holistic advice we need in a timely fashion, which helps lead to positive outcomes. They bring insight into how the US government handles these matters, which has proven invaluable. They proactively provide webinars and blog posts on the latest immigration law news that are helpful.’
‘Leon Rodriguez, Dawn Lurie, and Jason Burritt. Leon has provided help on compliance matters and litigation, Dawn has provided help on I-9s, Jason has provided general business immigration advice. They present potential solutions that take our business needs into account and proactively reach out when new immigration news may impact us.’
Glenn Smith; Molly Gabel
Other key lawyers:
Bryan O’Keefe; Arthur Telegen; Karla Sanchez; Brian Stolzenbach; Joe Damato; Stuart Newman; Jeff Berman
‘Seyfarth is a top-notch firm in this practice area and a great value in light of their reasonable billing rates.’
‘Jeff Berman is one of the country’s top experts in the field and can be counted on for thorough and practical advice.’
‘Arthur Telegen is extraordinary. He has deep expertise and is a very strong advocate and great strategist. Would look to him on the most complex and high-stakes matters.’
‘Lots of knowledge and experience at this firm. Very well connected so they are on top of any developments and trends in this practice area.’
‘Larry Lorber is outstanding. Very knowledgeable and experienced. He is an excellent counselor who has great judgment and very practical instincts.’
‘Our internal HR compliance team has worked with a few groups within Seyfarth and we are consistently happy with the level of service and care we are given, the expertise offered, and the resources that Seyfarth shares with clients. We particularly appreciate the news alerts and the topical webinars. They are critical resources we rely on heavily in the execution of our duties. Awesome job, Seyfarth!’
‘Josh Seidman is a standout. We’ve worked with him on many of our complex leave policies across multiple jurisdictions and he has been consistently responsive and thorough in his reviews/edits. Josh always provides commentary in a way that makes it easy for us to understand the issues, make policy decisions/determinations and clarify our intent. Josh is able to assist across all those jurisdictions and he is always patient, professional and friendly.’
New York Life Insurance Company
Suzanne Saxman; Andrew Lucano
Other key lawyers:
Paul Pryzant; Stanley Bloch; Aaron Gillett; Whitney Schmidt; Moshe Berliner
‘The team has an exceptional level of knowledge and experience in M&A transactions. They are responsive and provide practical advice. They have strong attention to detail and are indispensable.’
‘Our lead partner is Andrew Lucano. He is an exceptional attorney and person, second to none in his M&A knowledge and experience. He provides practical guidance in a timely manner and bills efficiently.’
‘Aaron Gillett is one of the best lawyers to partner with you can ask for. He made complicated matters simple, represented the company’s best interest, and was always available to work through issues. He went above and beyond, and would recommend working with him to anyone.’
‘Suzanne Saxman and Aly Reedy are a great team to work with! They were efficient with all agreements and focused on completing the deal over billing hours. Will recommend to any future colleague looking for counsel.’
‘Seyfarth is an experienced team. They have a straight forward writing approach which results in documents that are not overly lengthy yet get the job done. I have been particularly impressed with Aaron Gillett. Aaron did a great job in the negotiations in helping us maximize our price and memorializing the terms such that our escrow was protected.’
‘Seyfarth has been a pleasure to work with. I am impressed with how high-touch, flexible, strategic, and urgent they are with our needs. Despite the amount of work and complexity of the needs, they consistently go above-and-beyond while treating us as if we were their own business. We consider Seyfarth to be true advisors and partners.’
‘This firm’s partners and associates are obviously competent, but it is their combination of relevant experience, rapid turnaround and appropriate responses to specific issues that makes them unique. At Sayfarth, we always received the relevant expert assistance for our specific problems.’
‘Suzanne Saxman- Whether it was for an straightforward contract, employee matter or for a game changing M&A contract, we always received exceptional service.’
Northern Wind, Inc.
Dawn US Holdings LLC
- Acted for Northern Wind, Inc. and its owners in connection with a sale of the company for $60m to ACON Investments, a private equity firm based in Washington, DC which completed a roll-up of Northern Wind and other seafood businesses.
- Assisted Cars.com in the asset acquisition of Accu-Trade and its related businesses which provide vehicle appraisal and valuation data technology.
Alison Ashford; Michael McKeeman
‘Seyfarth Shaw LLP has a very deep team with extensive construction knowledge as well as experts in related fields such as government contracting and business organization.’
‘The team I work with includes very capable people with government contracting, legal research and writing, trial presentation and construction practices experience. It is a great combination of talent.’
‘The team has taken time to get to know us and learn how important our success is to our entire community. They are passionate about our case and have mastered new subject matter in a way that is extraordinary.’
‘Seyfarth’s team is collegial, intelligent, direct and adaptable. They are timely, responsive and business-like. Most in our small shop have a very god working relationship with the people we work with regularly.’
‘Jason Smith has provided excellent support to us on a contentious matter which has been drawn out and difficult. He is very responsive, considered and makes himself available with a challenging time zone difference. His strategic insights are invaluable and has been instrumental in putting us in a very strong position.’
‘The team at Seyfarth Shaw LLP is extremely knowledgeable in construction law. Ryan Gilcrest is one you can count on for his expertise. I would definitely recommend this law firm.’
‘Ryan Gilcrest knows the laws and how to articulate them to the other parties. He stood out for us in our most recent pre-litigation and was able to turn it around before having to proceed down the formal route.’
‘Meghan Douris is exceptional. She has a great understanding of construction and is well connected and organized. Her ability to quickly grasp our scope as well as our needs provides us with great service.’
Municipality of Anchorage
PGP Development LLC
Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Commission
Watts Constructors, LLC
International Monetary Fund
Transbay Joint Powers Authority (TJPA)
Panther Residential Management, LLC
The Hall Group
Terramar Retail Centers
Vance Brown, Inc.
Ventana Property Services, Inc.
RMC Constructors, Inc.
Square Peg Construction, LLC
Level-It Installations Group
Redpath USA Corporation
- Represented the Municipality of Anchorage with the court first issuing an opinion that the United States had breached its contract with Anchorage, and then two months later entering judgment against the United States and awarding the client $367.4 million.
- Represented the Transbay Joint Powers Authority on all construction-related matters pertaining to the development of a $4.5 billion transit center in the heart of San Francisco.
- Acted as special counsel to the Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Commission (HRTAC), a regional transportation financing agency in Virginia.
Michael Wexler; Robert Milligan; Katherine Perrelli
‘High-quality of service, very responsive and very quick turn around. Also very friendly.’
‘Dawn Mertineit is absolutely amazing; super friendly, sharp and clear, she provides a high-quality of work and service.’
‘The Seyfarth team effectively communicated the issues of our case as well as multiple options for resolution in a clear and concise way which allowed our company to make informed and timely decisions. The Seyfarth team was very efficient with their communications and recommendations which allowed us to make decisions and to prioritize appropriately.’
‘Dawn Mertineit and James Yu were easy to work with. They were respectful of time and communicated in an effective and efficient manner. They possessed the necessary business acumen to not only provide meaningful guidance but also to appreciate and value our time.’
Capstone Logistics, Inc.
SeneGence International, Inc.
Whittier Trust Company
Panda Restaurant Group
Lonza Houston, Inc.
- Represented Karma Automotive in a major trade secret matters in the United States involving electric vehicle technology against a competitor and former employees related to various claims including the misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented Capstone Logistics, Inc. in a trade secret and non-compete dispute involving several former executives who misappropriated valuable logistics software.
- Represented Stryker Corporation in trade secret and non-compete matters to protect its intellectual capital and workforce throughout the US in matters valued in the millions of dollars.
Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design Tier 2Seyfarth Shaw LLP has particular expertise in handling ongoing employee benefits needs, handling the design and implementation of such plans and agreements. The firm is consistently involved in retirement plan design, handling issues such as the legislative compliance of plans, as well as health and welfare plan design. The firm represents large and well-known businesses engaged in notable industries, such as manufacturing, retail, health care, insurance and financial services. Based in the firm’s Chicago office, ‘valued and trusted advisor’ Diane Dygert has deep experience regarding the rules and regulations surrounding employee benefits, alongside considerable expertise in regard to the health and welfare space. Also based in Chicago is Jennifer Kraft, who advises clients on retirement and benefit plans, and ‘standout’ Jon Karelitz, who is experienced in executive compensation matters, as well as cutting-edge pension de-risking projects. Seattle-based Liz Deckman plays an important role in building the employee benefits capabilities for the firm on the West Coast.
‘Jon Karelitz is a standout partner, conveying complex information in a client-focused, practical manner.’
‘Diane Dygert is very knowledgeable in the defined contribution and welfare benefits space and is a valued and trusted advisor to our internal teams.’
Kathleen Cahill Slaught; Ian Morrison
‘Strong blend of legal and practical advice during the litigation process to ensure that the client can undertake proper risk assessment without unnecessary spending.’
‘Ian Morrison is very strong presenting to clients, insurers, and other interested parties to make sure key information is conveyed succinctly and effectively.
‘Sam Schwartz-Fenwick is a tireless advocate who provides behind-the-scenes advices that keeps matters running effectively.’
The ‘very efficient and effective’ team at Seyfarth Shaw LLP continues to be highly regarded for its experience in defeating class certification and for its successes in wage and hour cases. The team, headed by large-scale class actions and multi-plaintiff cases expert Laura Maechtlen in San Francisco, is able to draw on its national team to work on cases across the country, and is experienced in a variety of industries including healthcare, hospitality, energy, and retail. Camille Olson, valued by clients for her ‘incredible experience’ as a complex litigator, is based in Chicago and is a co-chair of the firm’s national complex litigation practice group. Also in Chicago is Noah Finkel, who has a particular specialism in representing clients in collective or class action matters, as well as advising and litigating on class action waivers in arbitration agreements. Sacramento-based Coby Turner is a key contact for compliance counseling. Gerald Maatman, Jr. left the firm in September 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘I worked with Ray Baldwin and Chrissie Constantino. Under Ray’s leadership, they were a very efficient and effective team in responding to a Fair Labor Standards Act class action complaint.’
‘Lynn Kappelman & Ariel Cudkowicz – great partners and collaborators who are super responsive and help me find the best solution to thorny problems. Emily Miller – super associate who takes great care and attention to detail to managing our matters.’
‘Camille Olson is the best attorney I have ever worked with. I appreciate her incredible experience, but I also value her wisdom and the common sense advice she provides when I ask.’
‘Bob Stevens – amazing relationship manager who learns our business and is able to provide thoughtful counsel that matches our business goals.’
‘I thoroughly trust Ben Briggs, my primary contact. Then when I have an issue in any part of the country, Ben often brings on someone with expertise in actually talking to the people on the other side of the matter that are just as trustworthy and capable. The team listens to my goals in each, individual matter and go after them from what I really think is a place developed from my point of view. All this while Ben maintains contact and continues to learn about and support my overall strategy for the types of matters we work on across the country.’
‘Team leader Annette Idalski is a very experienced and serious litigator and advocates hard for her clients. She is always professional, and knows the law.’
‘The tight attention to and capability around ensuring subject matter expertise and practical guidance, with both legal and project management capabilities designed to both advise, but also assist with practical solutions, whether investigations, audits, training, or litigation support.’
‘Linda Schoonmaker knows our business, is very efficient, and seeks practical resolutions of disputes.’
Allstate Insurance Company
Prudential Insurance Company of America
UnitedHealth Group Incorporated
US Foods, Inc.
The Walgreen Company
Wells Fargo Bank
- Successfully defeated a motion for preliminary injunction brought by eight named plaintiffs on behalf of approximately 230 employees, challenging the denial of their exemptions from a health care system’s vaccine mandate.
- Successfully represented an international hotel company in a wage and hour lawsuit involving the issue of whether or not the client was required to immediately pay accrued vacation and paid time off wages to its employees when they were furloughed at the outset of the COVID 19 pandemic.
- Obtained a landmark ruling from the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court on behalf of a broker of door-to-door sales services that established the standard for joint employment in Massachusetts.
Douglas Mancino; Ofer Lion
‘Good expertise. Easy to deal with. Fast responses.’
‘Arnold Brown is super responsive. Friendly, comprehensive and educative. He is super sharp and has expertise on relevant matters.’
The ‘energetic and creative’ government contracts team at Seyfarth Shaw LLP is highly regarded for offering ‘any federal contractor a “one-stop shop” for all their needs.’ The group is noted for its strong litigation practice, with a proven track record in bid protests, cost accounting disputes and False Claims Act cases. The practice was boosted in July 2022 with the arrival of former K&L Gates practitioners and Washington DC-based Amy Hoang, counsel Erica Bakies and associate Sarah Burgart, bringing a wealth of experience in bid protests and internal investigations. Hoang, who is well regarded as ‘very hands on and knowledgeable’, co-leads the department with Donald Featherstun in San Francisco and Seattle-based Adam Lasky, whose practice covers bid protests, international procurement matters and SBA regulatory compliance. Another key name is contract claims and bid protest expert Edward Arnold in Washington DC.
Donald Featherstun; Adam Lasky; Amy Hoang
‘I have personal experience working with several of the group’s partners, including Edward “Teddie” Arnold, Ashley Sherwood, and Adam Lasky. All of whom are capable, thoughtful and practical attorneys. I also am familiar with Amy Hoang, who like the others is an emerging leader in the field and I regard her highly.’
‘Amy Hoang is a very hands on and knowledgeable partner. She has the unique talent of simplifying complex government contracts concepts. She is very personable and meets all deadlines without exception. Her professionalism is second to none.’
‘Adam Lasky is the most knowledgeable government contracts attorney we have worked with in the industry. Adam consistently delivers solid legal advice, whether it is a bid protest, SBA issue, or government compliance concern. He is also quick to respond to client emails and phone calls.’
‘The government contracts team at Seyfarth has an excellent understanding not only of government contracts law and litigation, but also the manner in which the DOJ handles the litigation.’
‘Amy Haung, Erica Bakies and the rest of the team are simply top notch. What makes them different is the way they approach issues in a practical way and truly listen to my business needs and goals.’
‘Amy Hoang and Sarah Burgart are outstanding attorneys who not only possess subject matter expertise in government contracting generally, but specifically are a tremendous resource in pursuing bid protests. They provide timely and effective business-oriented advice and work seamlessly with inside corporate counsel.’
‘I value the swift responsiveness and candid dialogue I receive from Amy Hoang and Sarah Burgart. Both are masters of their craft when it comes to bid protests. In every instance they have achieved the desired results, and in each matter their predictions have been entirely accurate.’
‘I have been working very closely with Adam Lasky for several years on different cases. Adam makes himself available at all times, whether it’s a late night call or weekend. He provides detailed advice and outlines various courses of action. Always very detailed oriented and challenges ‘normal’ thinking. He does not simply assumes but always questions and provides reasoning behind his thought process. Definitely would recommend his team to others.’
J&J Worldwide Services
Vectrus Systems Corporation
Municipality of Anchorage
Textron Systems Corporation
ManTech International Corporation
American Roll-on Roll-off Carrier Group
- Successfully represented the Municipality of Anchorage at the US Court of Federal Claims, with the court holding that the United States had breached its contract with Anchorage.
- Acted for Raytheon Technologies on several government contracts engagements.
- Successfully represented a contractor in a bid protest at the US Court of Federal Claims challenging the US Navy’s award of a $88.5m 8(a) set-aside base operations contract.
Real estate Tier 3Seyfarth Shaw LLP routinely represents REITs, leading developers, institutional landlords, and operators of hospitality, industrial and retail centres in all transactional, financing, development and leasing activities. Recommended lawyers in Boston include Catherine Burns , Andrew Pearlstein and Eric Greenberg, who stands out for his leasing portfolio work. New York’s key figures include real estate finance partner Daniel Evans and Cynthia Mitchell , who specializes in assisting healthcare clients in acquisition and disposition of the assets, and obtaining mortgage financing. Paul Mattingly chairs the practice from Atlanta.
Other key lawyers:
‘Seyfarth serves as our primary real estate counsel. It adds value and brings innovation through the use of technology and alternative fee arrangements to the portfolio of work.’
‘Seyfarth’s Real Estate group is heavily relied upon for their professionalism, creativity, innovativeness and leadership. Seyfarth’s expertise, insight and judgment have been essential to our success, and proven to be highly capable of responding to shifting demands, often anticipating significant directional changes in advance. ‘
‘Experienced team and trust their legal expertise for real estate equity and finance transactions. Responsive, understands what we need, are business savvy and efficient to work with. High level of confidence in the team. ‘
‘Seyfarth is very client focused. They have a broad bench which makes them a one-stop-shop. Their bench is also deep, the quality of service and advice is well worth the cost.’
‘They understand our business and what clients need, and have the legal expertise, and understand the key issues most important to us. They are easy to work with and I have a high degree of confidence in them. They are proactive and bring issues to our attention that at times are not even on our radar. Good follow through.’
American Life, Inc.
Battery Global Advisors
John Hancock Life Insurance Company
BentallGreenOak (U.S.) Limited Partnership
Invesco Real Estate
United Legwear Company LLC
NorthBridge Partners LLC
- Represented LBA Realty in a $922.16 million acquisition and financing of a six-property portfolio of ground leased warehouse buildings.
- Represented John Hancock Life Insurance Company in a $173.45 million sale of a luxury multifamily community in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Represented UC Regents in a $145 million multi-step transaction, which included a buyout of its existing joint venture partner and entry into a new joint venture for the redevelopment of an existing office park into a cutting edge life sciences campus in San Diego, California.
Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco) Tier 4With lawyers spread across its national footprint of offices, Seyfarth Shaw LLP receives a regular pipeline of high-quality work for a range of consumer-facing clients both in relation to product liability matters, as well as consumer fraud-related class actions. A number of the lawyers have a core grounding in advertising law, including Boston-based partner Joseph Orzano whose client base includes food and cosmetic companies, who seek his advice from a risk management perspective on labeling as well as in litigation invoking the protection statutes of multiple jurisdictions. Chicago-based Kristine Argentine chair’s the national consumer class action group, with a considerable volume of her work emanating from alleged infractions of the TCPA. Washington DC-based Thomas Locke co-heads the product liability team alongside Orzano and has earned a reputation over the years for his skill in achieving favorable early settlements for clients.
Kristine Argentine; Thomas Locke; Joseph Orzano
Other key lawyers:
William Prickett; Esther McDonald; Giovanna Ferrari; Aaron Belzer; Renee Appel
‘They display great professionalism and attention to detail.’
‘They are sensitive to costs and advise accordingly then leave the decision to the informed client. They do not disappoint.’
JM Brands LLC
First Advantage Background Services Corp.
Callaway Golf Company
American Armed Forces Mutual Aid Association
Personal Care Products Council
The Middleby Corporation
- Representing JM Brands LLC in a class action lawsuit alleging that the company engaged in false advertising through its use of the phrase “Natural Hair Care,” while its products contain some synthetic ingredients, including those used to preserve the product.
- Representing Personal Care Products Council, in 2,000 Federal Product Liability Lawsuits.
- Representing Pharmacare against a nationwide consumer class action alleging that Pharamacare’s Sambucol products violate the Federal Food, Drug & Cosmetics Act, as well as California, Missouri, and Massachusetts consumer statutes.
William Prickett; Gregory Markel; Vincent Sama
Other key lawyers:
‘A great litigation team.’
‘Greg Markel has been a trusted advisor for years and is very knowledgeable about all areas of litigation, especially securities litigation and special committees.’
‘Strong team up and down the line – no gaps.’
‘Christopher Robertson was incredibly calm through a difficult tumultuous time and led us to victory.’
‘Top ten all around. Impressive breadth of knowledge and experience.’
‘Gregory Markel is among the most respected, learned and admired lawyers in the field of securities litigation. Top Ten without a doubt. His annual CLEs at the City Bar are required for any attorney who hopes to succeed in this area. You miss them at your peril. Greg has been involved in some of the most important cases you ever heard of and even many you never have. He is a fierce advocate for his clients. He is also, perhaps most importantly, a gentleman.’
Rising Tide I and Rising Tide II and Abdo v. Individual Officers and Directors
AAC Holdings, Inc.
Special Committee of ArborWorks
Prudential Financial, Inc. and Eric Schwimmer
Assurance, Inc. (“Assurance”), which was purchased by Prudential, Inc. in 2019
Special Committee of Board of Large United States Bank
Expert Witness report for foreign litigation
Large foreign based international bank and its subsidiary United States bank
- Represented individual directors and officers in two similar but separate securities actions filed alleging violations of Rule 10 b-5 and state law. Plaintiffs claim that nine individual defendants affiliated with a bankrupt e-commerce and t-commerce company, made misrepresentations and omissions concerning the prospects for the company.
- Representing AAC Holdings, Inc., a Tennessee based company that provides inpatient and outpatient substance use treatment services for individuals with drug addiction, alcohol addiction, and co-occurring mental/behavioral health, in a securities class action and a related litigation-trustee matter arising out of the company’s bankruptcy. The matters are currently in the discovery phrase.
- Performed a broad scale investigation into a cyber-security attack, multiple instances of wire fraud and allegations of self-dealing by members of senior management on behalf of the special committee of the company.
Industry focus > Cannabis Tier 4Seyfarth Shaw LLP routinely assists cannabis industry clients on intellectual property, contractual enforcement, and employment law issues as well as environmental compliance. The practice also advises on the use of ETFs, M&A, taxation, and venture capital. Head of the department Stanley Jutkowitz is located in Washington DC and routinely assists clients on cannabis risk assessments, real estate lending and corporate transactions.
Other key lawyers:
AdvisorShares Pure Cannabis ETF
Viridescent Realty Trust
- Advised AdvisorShares on its latest ETF, AdvisorShares Psychedelics ETF.
- Advised lender Viridescent on various issues related to lending against cannabis use real estate.
Daniel Evans; Jay Wardlaw
‘Seyfarth’s Real Estate Finance Practice goes the extra mile for their clients to ensure results are consistency delivered in a way that meets (if not exceeds) expectations. The Real Estate Finance Group quickly navigates complex, novel legal issues by providing creative, results-oriented solutions. They enable deals to be done and goals to be accomplished, rather than simply identifying obstacles, risks and blockers.’
‘The Real Estate Finance Group has an uncanny ability to maintain proper perspective when considering risks and obstacles associated with a transaction. They work collaboratively with their clients, even when at inconvenient times or on short notice, to move deals forward. They are vigilant in identifying real risks, while quickly setting aside issues of no lasting consequence. They understand each client’s business goals and objectives and help client’s identify and pursue options that are tailored to optimize their chances for success.’
‘Dan Evans is an outstanding resource who is both extremely knowledgeable, client service driven and a great negotiator who is able to keep temperatures down.’
‘Exceptionally knowledgeable and skilled personnel that connect the dots from legal to business management. A broad and deep bench that can bring the right resources to the task at hand.’
‘Seyfarth’s team is very client focused. They provide useful business advice, not just complex legal advice and documents that then require additional legal hours to help the business manager decipher what was provided.’
‘The real estate finance team at Seyfarth has broad depth of experience, with a large network of supporting specialties to address any issue that may arise.’
New York Life Insurance Company
Bain Capital/Oliver St. Capital
RAL Development Services LLC
G Peg I, LLC
Auburn Building Associates LP
Summit Gold Inc.
NexGen Housing Partners LLC
Kensington Development Partners Inc.
Acadia Realty Trust
- Advised Bain Capital/Oliver St. Capital in a thirteen-property industrial portfolio refinancing provided by KKR in the amount of $285.5 million, which was secured by a number of large industrial properties in the Greater Boston area.
- Represented New York Life Insurance Company in a $188.4 million loan secured by an office building in Washington, DC.
- Represented RAL Development Services LLC in a $170 million refinance of a construction loan for an office building located at 124 E. 14th Street in Manhattan.
Robert Bodansky; Steven Richman; Patricia Poglinco; Robert Van Grover
‘The team is deep, broad, and pragmatic, assisted by helpful technology.’
‘Robert Bodansky is an unflappable lawyer and leader of the investment management team.’
‘The firm is nimble and able to get up to speed very quickly. They treat clients with the level of interaction the client decides. They understand current and novel issues and do not bring in additional counsel unless necessary. For our work with them, that’s very important. The team that we work with is all white males, but they are very inclusive from discussions we have shared. Most of the other law firms we work with also have mostly or all male teams who work in our area. Something that really sets them apart from other firms is the respect colleagues have for each other. The junior lawyer, on the team we work with, frequently shares his opinion (even if differing) in meetings with senior partners. This dynamic is wonderful, efficient, and I find very refreshing.’
‘The two I’ve worked most with are Robert Bodansky and Trevor Tullius. Trevor is fast-paced and thorough. He is good at keeping discussions focused on pertinent points. He’s kind and deliberate and skilled at delivering bad news to opposing counsel. I respect the way he speaks up, even when a senior partner is present. And even if his opinion or ideas are different. Robert is a calm spoken, unshakeable force that works very effectively for the type of work we do. Opposing counsel may get furious during a discussion, but Robert doesn’t crack or show any emotion. He’s respectful, but consistent and steady. He’s great with client relations, but not in a fake way. He also impresses me with how he talks up other teammates. Finally, Robert allows, or even encourages junior colleagues to speak up in front of the client and that is great in my opinion.’
‘Seyfarth Shaw created a buy-side/limited partner-focused investment practice by hiring Michael Jordan and Evan Sarosi from Ice Miller. Seyfarth has empowered the team to continue its excellent practice. I consider them the best in the industry at what they do. Again, the team is small. They do not over-produce deliverables. As an example, most law firms are able to use associates for contract reviews by having them fill out a standard, gigantic excel template and ten deliver it to the client, along with many hours billed. Seyfarth has more senior attorneys spending far less time doing that, and delivering a more efficient review work product. If I could use them for every item we have, I would.’
‘Seyfarth attorneys Michael Jordan and Evan Sarosi both stand out. They are excellent at communicating with both the client and counterparty counsel. When reviewing documents, they are very detail-oriented but excel at identifying materials items and more efficient with timing. More than any other firm we have ever worked with they function as a seamless part of our team, they already know what want, how to adjust communication on our behalf, in what format we would prefer deliverables. It makes for a pleasant, fast, and high-quality legal process.’
Steve Meier; John Napoli
Other key lawyers:
Rotem Bar-Kokhva; Douglas Mancino; Ofer Lion
‘The team offers a mix of substantive knowledge and practical deal-making expertise. They are technical, but their approach is always practical, which makes them extremely pleasurable to work with.’
‘John Napoli is a senior member of the real estate tax bar and a very well-respected deal maker.’
‘Rotem Bar-Kokhva is a rising star within the real estate tax bar and is an extremely talented lawyer.’
Seyfarth Shaw LLP > Firm Profile
Seyfarth Shaw LLP is a full-service international law firm, serving Fortune 1000, Global 500 and other companies worldwide through more than 900 attorneys and dedicated professional staff (including certified project managers, legal technologists, practice managers and other paraprofessionals). Seyfarth has been widely recognized for its leadership in designing innovative, client-focused solutions for the delivery of high quality legal services.
- Earned “Law Firm of the Year” in Litigation – ERISA in the US News – Best Lawyers® 2022 edition of ‘Best Law Firms’. As well as, 15 Tier 1 national rankings in the areas of commercial litigation, construction law, employee benefits (ERISA) law, employment law – management, franchise law, health care law, immigration law, labor law – management, litigation – antitrust, litigation – construction, litigation – ERISA, litigation – intellectual property, litigation – labor and employment, patent law and real estate law.
- Recognized by The Financial Times among the world’s most innovative law firms for the eleventh consecutive year in its annual FT Innovative Lawyers series.
- Named a 2022 “Trailblazer” for Legal Technology by the National Law Journal. The firm was recognized for its new advanced immigration management platform, Caribou.
- BTI Consulting named Seyfarth ‘Most Recommended Law Firms’ in 2021. Seyfarth Shaw was named one of 21 law firms recommended by general counsel. These recommendations directly reflect the longstanding dedication to exceptional client service and innovative solutions, which continue to set the firm apart.
- Earned a perfect score of 100 in the annual Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index and was named a ‘Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality’ for the 14th consecutive year.
- Achieved Gold Standard Certification from the Women In Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF) for 2021. Seyfarth was among only 29 US law firms to earn this distinction in 2021.
- Largest US labor and employment practice in a full-service firm, with over 400 attorneys exclusively engaged in labor and employment law in the United States.
- Recognized by Law360 as ‘Practice Group of the Year’ in employment law for ten years.
- Specialist international employment law practice with experience covering more than 160 countries, including matters on which we have advised on up to 150 countries at one time, acting for some of the world’s largest multinational companies.
- One of the largest real estate practices in the United States with more than 150 attorneys.
- One of the largest employee benefits and executive compensation practices in the US, serving clients across 30+ industries.
- 165+ business litigators across a global platform, offering a full-service litigation practice.
- Proactive litigation strategies in the rapidly changing legal services landscape.
- Handled more than 200 corporate M&A transactions across a diverse range of industries over the past two years.
Main areas of practice
- ADA title III and public access
- Antitrust and competition
- Bankruptcy and restructuring
- Capital markets
- Class and collective actions
- Commercial contracts and outsourcing transactions
- Commercial finance
- Commercial litigation
- Construction and development projects
- Construction claims and disputes
- Consumer financial services litigation
- Corporate counseling and governance
- eDiscovery and information governance
- Employee benefits
- Employment litigation
- ESG, corporate citizenship and human rights
- Executive and equity compensation
- Financial products and technology
- Financial services
- Franchise and distribution
- Government contracts
- Government contracts litigation
- Government relations and policy
- Health care, life sciences and pharmaceuticals
- Hospitality and leisure
- Infrastructure and project finance
- International dispute resolution
- Institutional investors
- Intellectual property counseling and prosecution
- Intellectual property litigation
- International employment law
- Labor management relations
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Post-pandemic recovery and renewal
- Privacy and cybersecurity
- Product liability and complex tort
- Real estate
- Real estate finance
- Real estate litigation
- REITs and real estate capital markets
- Remote workforce
- Retail, wholesale and distribution
- Securities and fiduciary duty litigation
- Tax controversies and litigation
- Technology, mobility and connectivity
- Trade secrets and non-competes
- Transportation and logistics
- Trusts and estates
- Trusts and estates litigation
- White-collar defense and investigations
- Workplace arbitration and ADR
- Workplace safety and environmental
International experience: Seyfarth Shaw’s international service model is custom-built to deliver an integrated, cross-border legal and commercial solution. Seyfarth’s model relies exclusively upon cohesive partner-led teams of highly experienced international attorneys who focus solely on helping multinational clients deal with their international business issues, regardless of location. Central to the firm’s international department is Seyfarth’s award-winning, specialist international employment practice, which is acknowledged as one of the world’s leading practices in the area. Our team also offers multidisciplinary corporate, commercial, and real estate advice to multinational clients with needs across the globe.
|Mr David Baffa||Mr. Baffa is Chair of the Workplace Compliance Solutions Group at Seyfarth…||View Profile|
|Tracy Billows||Ms. Billows is a partner in the Chicago office of Seyfarth Shaw…||View Profile|
|Jay Carle||Partner and Deputy Chair, eDiscovery & Information Governance Practice Group||View Profile|
|Mr Scott Carlson||Mr. Carlson founded and Chairs Seyfarth Shaw’s eDiscovery and Information Governance practice…||View Profile|
|Mr Mark Casciari||Counsel, Seyfarth Shaw, LLP.||View Profile|
|Ms Joan Casciari||Joan Casciari is a partner in Seyfarth Shaw LLP’s Chicago office. Her…||View Profile|
|Mr Brent Clark||Mr. Clark is a partner in the Firm’s Labor and Employment Department…||View Profile|
|Mr Benjamin Conley||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Christopher DeGroff||Chris DeGroff is the national Co-Chair of the firm’s Complex Discrimination Litigation…||View Profile|
|Ms Pamela Devata||Pamela Devata is a Labor and Employment Partner at Seyfarth Shaw LLP…||View Profile|
|Kenneth Dolin||View Profile|
|Ms Ada Dolph||With nearly 20 years of experience as a labor and employment litigator…||View Profile|
|Mr Jake Downing||Co-Chair, Defined Contribution Plans Practice Group||View Profile|
|Ms Diane Dygert||Partner and Chair of the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Department||View Profile|
|Noah Finkel||View Profile|
|Mr Robert Flanagan||Mr. Flanagan is a partner in the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation…||View Profile|
|Mr Matthew Gagnon||Matt’s practice focuses on defending employers against complex class and collective action…||View Profile|
|Aaron Gilltt||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Adam Greetis||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Linda Haynes||Co-Chair, Institutional Investing Practice Group||View Profile|
|Mr Cory Hirsch||Co-Office Managing Partner of the Firm’s Chicago office||View Profile|
|Valerie Hoffman||Ms. Hoffman is a partner at Seyfarth Shaw LLP where she has…||View Profile|
|Ms Christina Janice||Christina Janice is a senior counsel of Seyfarth Shaw. Her practice focuses…||View Profile|
|Jonathan Karelitz||Partner||View Profile|
|Kyllan Kershaw||View Profile|
|Ms Jennifer Kraft||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Ronald Kramer||View Profile|
|Mr Richard Lapp||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Bradford Livingston||Brad Livingston is a partner in the Chicago office and long-serving former…||View Profile|
|Gerald Maatman, Jr.||Gerald (Jerry) L. Maatman, Jr. – is a partner with the firm’s…||View Profile|
|Mr Condon McGlothlen||Condon McGlothlen is a partner at Seyfarth Shaw LLP in Chicago. For…||View Profile|
|Ms Ellen McLaughlin||Ellen McLaughlin is a partner in Seyfarth Shaw LLP’s Chicago office. She…||View Profile|
|Mr Steven Meier||Partner, Chair of Corporate Department, Co-Chair of Tax Practice, and Co-Leader of…||View Profile|
|Mr Ian Morrison||Ian Morrison has extensive experience representing employers, employee benefit plans, and fiduciaries…||View Profile|
|Ms Camille Olson||Camille Olson is a partner at Seyfarth Shaw LLP and Chair of…||View Profile|
|Ms Karla Sanchez||Partner, Seyfarth Shaw, LLP.||View Profile|
|Suzanne Saxman||Partner||View Profile|
|Whitney Schmidt||Partner||View Profile|
|Sam Schwartz-Fenwick||Mr. Schwartz-Fenwick is a partner in the Labor and Employment Practice Group…||View Profile|
|Mr Andrew Scroggins||Andy Scroggins is a member of the firm’s Complex Discrimination Litigation and…||View Profile|
|Ms Amanda Sonneborn||Amanda Sonneborn is a partner in the Labor and Employment Department of…||View Profile|
|Mr Brian Stolzenbach||Partner||View Profile|
|Annette Tyman||Partner||View Profile|
|Michael Wexler||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Shawn Wood||Mr. Wood is a partner in the Chicago office of Seyfarth Shaw,…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresPartners : 426 Other lawyers : 505 Professional staff : 1,280
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions)
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Government > Government contracts
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Industry focus > Cannabis
- Real estate > Real estate finance