Estudio Olaechea > Lima, Peru > Firm Profile
Estudio Olaechea Offices
BERNARDO MONTEAGUDO 201
Estudio Olaechea > The Legal 500 Rankings
Peru > Insurance Tier 2
Estudio Olaechea has valuable expertise in this area under lead partner Jesús Matos, who brings additional M&A and banking and finance know-how to the table alongside deep regulatory experience. Clients include a range of insurance brokers, agents, insurers, reinsurers and claims adjusters, while global companies and international law firms also seek the team's counsel. The practice handles compliance and insurance coverage disputes, as well as product development and representation before the Peruvian insurance authority. Satisfied clients highlight the teamwork, concise advice and high level of client care.
Peru > Real estate Tier 2
Real estate is a key area of practice at Estudio Olaechea which handles sophisticated transactions on behalf of investors, developers and manufacturers, among others. While the practice is comprehensive, it also offers more unique services such as title clearance on rural or rustic property and negotiating with indigenous communities. Head of the practice Rossana Natteri is praised by clients and is particularly strong in transactions; she led advice to Pimera Visión on the $22.9m sale of a 51% participation in the class A+ corporate office building called 'Primera Visión' to FIBRA Credicorp. Associates Alberto Meneses and Paloma Hoyos are integral members of the team.
‘I was pleasantly surprised with the speed, dedication, analytical skills and out-of-the-box solutions shown by the team led by Rossana Nateri to close a complex buy-and-sell operation in a very short period of time.’
‘I highlight the commitment of the entire team, the anticipation and capacity for analysis shown in the face of possible contingencies, the thinking outside the box to find solutions that satisfy all the parties involved, as well as the closeness and openness they showed at all times.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable on the subject, they are proactive and very close to the client.’
‘Rossana Natteri is always attentive to any questions or doubts. The response is quick and concise.’
‘Direct and assertive communication with the firm’s lawyers make this practice a real tool to make decisions based on the interests of the company. The result is legal advice that is not based on a mere review of the regulations, but rather provides real guidance on the line of business development.’
‘I have had a very good relationship with Rossana Natteri, who within the real estate area of the firm understands perfectly that the development of real estate projects determines the knowledge and practice of different areas of law, and of other disciplines, in such a way that the legal advice is transversal to the business as a whole.’
‘Rosana Nateri is a professional with solid legal knowledge.’
Inmobiliaria Swiss Capitals
Boston Consulting Group
Cushman & Wakefield
NCR Del Perú
Green Dreams Inmobiliaria Y Constructora
La Gloria Propiedades
Corporación La Sirena
- Completed advice to Saint-Gobain in real estate matters related to the merger and acquisition of the tile-fixing business of Cerámica Lima (Celima), including the transfer of real estate located in Lurín for the price of $2.8m and the regularisation of all the municipal and registry procedures resulting from said transfer.
- Advised Primera Visión on the sale of a 51% participation in the class A+ corporate office building called ‘Primera Visión’ for $22.9m; the purchase was made through a securitisation trust for real estate rental investment, FIBRA Credicorp, which placed certificates with a participation of $25.8m on the market.
- Acted for Inmobiliaria Swiss Capitals on the structuring, negotiation and drafting of the necessary contracts to acquire 99% of the shares and rights of a property located in Villa El Salvador for $1.1m.
Estudio Olaechea has traditionally been involved in landmark and high-profile antitrust disputes, both before the regulatory bodies and the courts, and currently awaits the decision of the Supreme Court on behalf of client Clorox Peru concerning alleged vertical collusive practices. The small but capable team, led by versatile partner Martín Serkovic, advises a number of household name international companies on compliance, leniency proceedings and a variety of other anti-competitive behaviours' issues - they include Google Peru and Michelin Del Peru. The practice's sector focus includes technology, life sciences, media, retail and aviation.
Compañía Sudamericana De Vapores (CSAV)
Michelin Del Peru
Amcor Rigid Plastics
Booking Del Peru
- Advising Clorox on an anticompetitive charge filed by two competitors, Dispra and Gromul, before the Peruvian Competition Authority against both the company sodium hypochlorite supplier, Quimpac, due to an exclusivity agreement signed by the two companies.
- Assessed the client on the implementation of a new strategy on one of its platforms in order to grant access to several users; the advisory included analysis of the Peruvian antitrust framework and the rulings of the competition agency.
- Ongoing advice to major regional sipping corporation, Compañía Sudamericana De Vapores, in the first leniency case handled by the antitrust authority in Peru
Peru > Corporate and M&A Tier 3Estudio Olaechea showcases a steady practice of transactions and corporate advisory work on behalf of some well-known international companies, as well as local enterprises and public bodies. French multinational Saint-Gobain is a key client, which the firm is advising on the $70m acquisition of 55% of the shares of Soluciones Constructivas Volcán and sale of 45% of the shares of Saint-Gobain Productos para la Construcción to Grupo Volcán. The firm enjoys a loyal base of satisfied clients, who appreciate the ‘deep analysis and personalised attention‘ as well as ‘professionalism and availability of its lawyers‘. An experienced leadership team comprises: Martín Serkovic, who provides ‘excellent legal analysis‘; Carlo Viacava, who brings private equity experience to the team; and energy and infrastructure specialist José Antonio Honda. Since publication, the practice group has been considerably strengthened with the promotion of both Joanna Dawson (corporate, compliance, contractual, regulatory and securities market matters, along with corporate governance) and Patricia Castro (incorporations, reorganisations, M&A and spin-offs, along with company law, contracts and commerical matters), to the partnership – effective as of February 2022.
Carlo Viacava; José Antonio Honda; Martín Serkovic
‘What makes this practice unique is being able to count on the lawyer Martin Serkovic as a strategic partner, who is aware of our needs. He is alert to new regulations that could affect us and provides solutions and timely responses. Among its strengths I can highlight punctuality, quality of work and the way in which Martin Serkovic’s team provides its services. The professionalism and availability of its lawyers provides security to us with each response received. His advice has always been clear and precise. I can also point out the response capacity of the team led by Martin Serkovic, a team that is aware of the new law, its deep analysis and personalised attention. I cannot compare Estudio Olaechea with another firm. We have been working with them since 2012 and they have proven to be a modern, highly specialised firm with high ethical standards.’
- Represented Qatar Airlines as one of the Tranche C Lenders, in the review of the structure of the reconstruction of stock capital of the local LATAM Airlines entities, which decreased due to the consequences of the pandemic caused by COVID -19.
- Assisting Saint-Gobain with the negotiations for the $70m purchase of 55% of the shares of Soluciones Constructivas Volcán, as well as on the sale of 45% of the shares of Saint-Gobain Productos para la Construcción to Grupo Volcán.
- Advising Colombian debt-collection company, Sistemcobro, on the structuring and negotiation of warranty contracts for the loans requested from Davivienda Colombia and IFC (International Finance Corporation).
Peru > Environment Tier 3
Environmental, M&A and infrastructure partner José Antonio Honda leads a small team at Estudio Olaechea, advising some high-profile companies and public bodies with respect to all aspects of environmental law. Work includes authorisations, licences and permits, environmental audits, enforcement and administrative sanctioning procedures, as well as transactional and project support. Sector strengths include ports, agriculture, aquaculture, mining and manufacturing. Senior associates Ricardo Barrantes, a corporate and regulatory lawyer, and the mining and regulatory focused Fiorella Wismann, are both key members of the practice.
Jose Antonio Honda
Peru > Intellectual property Tier 3
A solid practice at Estudio Olaechea handles some high-stakes matters for market leaders through to fledgling enterprises: it is advising Telefónica subsidiary Tuenti Technologies in long-running litigation against Entel regarding similar trade marks in Peru, and steering Indian pharmaceutical start-up Troikaa Pharmaceuticals through its patent and trade mark filings. Partner and practice lead Mónica Germany has over 25 years' experience and is well-known amongst IP professionals. She leads a team of two associates that includes experienced Cristina Fernandez, who advises on patent and trade mark prosecution, copyright and related disputes. Grifith Food International and Little Caesar Enterprises are recent client gains.
The Clorox Company
Universidad del Pacifico
AIDS Healthcare Foundation
Larenon Healthcare PVT
Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research
Alliance Tire Americas
TUMI Contratista Mineros
OCI South America Holdings
Honda Motor Company
Grifith Food International
Little Caesar Enterprises
- Advising Universidad del Pacífico regarding the registering and protection of its brand portfolio in Peru, including litigation before the Peruvian Trademark Office.
- Representing Tuenti Technologies, part of Telefónica Group, in litigation concerning its opposition to the trade mark application filed by Empresa Nacional de Telecomunicaciones (Entel).
- Acting for Indian pharmaceutical start-up Troikaa Phamaceuticals in the filing of different patent applications before the Peruvian Invention Office, and in the registration of trade marks in Peru.
Peru > Tax Tier 3
Advising on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious tax, Estudio Olaechea reports a busy year, advising on tax planning, double taxation agreements, cross-border partnership agreements, customs issues and disputes, among other matters. An effective partnership duo comprising Jorge Dávila and Carolina Rodríguez, particularly strong in corporate tax and customs matters respectively, lead half-a-dozen associates in representing an enviable client list including: Google, BlackRock and Mattel. Among current mandates the team is advising Netflix regarding potential new Peruvian legislation relating to VAT on services provided through digital platforms.
Jorge Davila; Carolina Rodriguez
‘They investigate all the scenarios that could be generated before a query, and keep the answers open. As an example, we have had tax consultations that have another legal effect and for this we are supported not only by the tax team but also by the corporate team that joins the consultation meetings.’
‘We need a multifunctional team that can handle the different requirements of our company, in the different legal, municipal, and fiscal spheres. Olaechea perfectly fulfills these requirements, so it compares favourably with the other firms.’
‘Martin Olaechea, who assists us directly, has vast experience on the laws, decrees, regulations, etc., of Peru, and if necessary from other countries, and has the necessary contacts and advice to support us in our daily operations. Jorge Davila has complete knowledge of the tax legislation of Peru, and with this his advice in all tax matters he has become invaluable to our company.’
Forest Stewardship Council
Alcatel-Lucent del Perú
Ola & Montaña
Imerys Chile – Minera Montparnas
Gol Linhas Aereas
ACS (a Xerox Company)
National Oilwell Varco (NOV)
Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation
Peruvian Andean Trout
- Advised Desarrollos Terrestres Peru on the most tax-efficient legal structure to carry out their operations with ATM Towers in the country.
- Advising Netflix in relation to a new tax issue in Peru which has not yet been regulated in the country, concerning the application of VAT on services provided through digital platforms.
- Advised Google with regard to diverse consultations related to applicable taxation in the country.
Peru > Dispute resolution Tier 4
Estudio Olaechea has a versatile practice, handling a broad range of matters including disputes related to real estate, IP rights, telecommunications, infrastructure, ports, antitrust and tax, among others. It handles high-volume litigious work for some significant clients, such as key practice client Caterpillar Leasing Chile. Other clients include APM Terminals Callao, Viettel Perú (BITEL) and Nokia Solutions and Networks. The ten-lawyer team is also able to advise on significant domestic arbitrations led by experienced partners Manuel Villa-García, Cecilia Catacora and Carlos Martínez, who also co-lead the practice.
Manuel Villa García, Cecilia Catacora and Carlos Martinez
‘I have hired them in litigation matters and they are experts in this field. They provide excellent service with practical recommendations at reasonable rates.’
‘What I appreciate a lot is that if any jurisprudence or news comes out, they are very open and they explain it to you and they do not charge you.’
Caterpillar Leasing Chile (member of transnational Caterpillar Inc)
WMS Gaming Peru
APM Terminals Callao
Telecom Business Solution
Viettel Perú (BITEL)
IQF Del Perú
AP Miller – Maersk
Toyota Del Perú
ACS Solutions Peru
Latam Hydro and CH Mamacocha
Mar Andino Perú
Nokia Solutions and Networks
S & L Andes Export
Tecnología De Materiales
Noatum Logistics Perú
- Representing Caterpillar Leasing Chile in 20 processes per month amounting to approximately 240 warranty execution processes per year.
- Advising Bacilio Amorrortu, a businessman operating in the oil and gas sector, who initiated a direct negotiation with the Peruvian State to be awarded a contract to operate Blocks III & IV of the Talara Refinery.
- Acting for APM Terminal Callao in proceedings to obtain the nullity of a decision of OSITRAN (Supervisory Board for Investment in Public Transport Infrastructure).
Estudio Olaechea > Firm Profile
Estudio Olaechea is a full-service law firm committed to high quality, creative and efficient legal advice, sensitive to the particular needs of every individual client. Since 1878, we have always worked on every case with unwavering work ethics, which makes us one of the most prestigious and renowned firms in Peru.
Estudio Olaechea’s biggest responsibility is to look after our clients’ best interests and encourage their business development in an organized and strategic manner. People, companies and organizations receiving our legal services have the support of a long-term strategic consultant with more than 140 years of legal experience through innovation, deep industry knowledge and adapting to the changing customer needs and market demands.
Estudio Olaechea has as policy a team approach from a broad and interdisciplinary perspective to develop solutions at a competitive cost with practice areas that have national and international recognition.
We represent buyers, sellers, investors, shareholder groups and financial advisers in structuring, negotiating and consummating complex business matters. The firm has long-standing and valued professional relationships with banks, financial institutions and industries, representing clients from all around the world. Furthermore, we offer our clients worldwide solutions working together with the most important law firms in the world. We are the Peruvian exclusive members of international associations of independent law firms such as Lex Mundi, Club de Abogados, The Interlex Group and First Law International, this allows us to provide our clients with swift, cost-effective legal services world-wide as well as to keep updated with legal trends and our clients’ industry developments.
Our practice areas:
- Administrative Law
- Aviation, Maritime and Ports
- Banking & Finance
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Compliance
- Customs and Foreign Trade
- Data Protection
- Healthcare Law
- Infrastructure and Public Utilities
- Insolvency and Restructuring
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Intellectual Property
- Labor & Immigration
- Litigation and Arbitration
- Private Equity / Asset Management
- Real Estate, Urban Planning and Hotels
- White-Collar Crime
|Corporate/M&A||Jose Antonio Olaecheafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Banking & Finance - Coporate M&A - Investment Funds||Carlo Viacavaemail@example.com|
|Aviation Law - Regulatory Law||Maria Eugenia Yabarfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate Law - Competition / Anti trust - Bankruptcy||Martin Serkovicemail@example.com|
|Insurance - Banking & Finance||Jesus Matosfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Labor and employment||Jose Antonio Valdezemail@example.com|
|Labor and employment||Lucianna Polarfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dispute resolution - Arbitration||Manuel Villa-Garcíaemail@example.com|
|Dispute resolution||Cecilia Catacorafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dispute resolution - Arbitration||Carlos Martínezemail@example.com|
|Energy and natural resources - Corporate M&A||Jose Antonio Hondafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Intellectual property||Monica Germanyemail@example.com|
|Real estate||Rossana Natterifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|White-Collar Crime & Compliance||Diego Abeoemail@example.com|
|Corporate/M&A and Startups||Joanna Dawsonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Maritime and Ports||Patricia Castroemail@example.com|
|Mr Diego Abeo||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Licy Benzaquén||Partner||View Profile|
|Miss Patricia Castro||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Cecilia Catacora||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Jorge Dávila||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Joanna Dawson||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Mónica Germany||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr José Antonio Honda||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Carlos Martínez||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Jesús Matos||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Michael Morales||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Rossana Natteri||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr José Antonio Olaechea||Managing Partner||View Profile|
|Miss Lucianna Polar||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Martín Serkovic||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr José Antonio Valdez||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Carlo Viacava||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Manuel Villa-García||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs María Eugenia Yabar||Partner||View Profile|