Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP > Beijing, China > Firm Profile
Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP Offices
BEIJING KERRY CENTRE SOUTH TOWER, SUITE 823, 8TH FL
NO 1 GUANGHUA ROAD, CHAOYANG DISTRICT
Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsMorgan Lewis & Bockius LLP offers clients a ‘holistic‘ approach and a service which encompasses every aspect of the employment relationship. The ‘responsive and commercially minded team‘ is noted for its knowledge of the intricacies of Chinese labour law, the market climate and for its ability to respond to new developments in each – in this, highly experienced practice head Lesli Ligorner leads by example. She and her team assist with complex terminations, the implications of supply chain alterations and sanctions, compliance with data protection regulation and handbook updating. Hong Kong-based Charles Mo has an extensive track record of handling employment disputes and has particular expertise in matters involving executives in the finance and securities sectors; Mo works jointly with Ligorner on matters pertaining to China. Todd Liao and Qian Nie are further key names to note.
‘They provide not only excellent legal advice, but are also very solution-oriented. They provide advice clearly with how to practically apply that advice within the unique aspects of the local environment. They provide very holistic advice. As a General Counsel, I find that to be invaluable. They take client service commitment very seriously. They are always very responsive. They are an excellent team.’
‘Lesli Ligorner is outstanding. She really is unique in how responsive and practical she is with her legal advice, and her availability. As a General Counsel based outside of China, I know that Lesli will give me advice that is relevant and will help me assess and mitigate the legal risk of doing business in China from an employment perspective. I always feel like I am her only client and priority. She is one of the best partners I have ever worked with.’
‘Responsive, commercially-minded team.’
‘Lesli has strong APAC knowledge which is invaluable for our business.’
JP Morgan Chase
Bristol Myers Squibb
Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China
- Advised global life sciences conglomerate on the strategy to defend the legal proceedings fueled by one former senior executive (Executive) for unpaid equity grants (RSUs).
- Advised a global company that provides technology support on termination of all employees based on the Company’s closure of its entities in PRC.
- Advised a global beauty care company on the employment and data privacy issues relating to the sale of certain cosmetic brands to a buyer.
Ning Zhang; Alex Wang
‘What really impressed me was the quality and speed of response and their ability to provide practical advice which is really important to me as a general counsel. They provided the best level of responsiveness I have had to date from a law firm. The collaboration they provided with all of our team members was also very helpful and they were able to work well with our business people. Billing is also very prompt. It has been a long time since I have experienced such excellent customer service from a law firm. I cannot recommend them enough.’
‘Alex Wang’s responsiveness is incredible as well as his perfect bi-lingual skills. However, it is not just that the reponse is so timely but so clear. The quality and level of service provided by Alex Wang is the best I have encountered in my career.’
Silk Road Fund
China Distance Education
Lake Bleu Capital
- Advised the Silk Road Fund, a sovereign investment fund in China, on its participation in an EIG lead global investor consortium’s acquisition of a 49% stake in Aramco Oil Pipelines Company from Saudi Arabian Oil Co.(“Aramco”) for US$12.4 billion. This transaction is one of the largest energy infrastructure transactions globally.
- Advised Sequoia Capital in its Minority Investment in SSENSE, the first round of external funding in the company’s 18-year history, giving the company a post-money enterprise value of more than CAD$5 billion.
- Advised Velvet Investment Pte. Ltd (GIC) in connection with the going-private transaction of Cellular Biomedicine Group (CBMG).
Ning Zhang; Maurice Hoo
Other key lawyers:
Meten International Education Group
China Distance Education
Silk Road Fund
Lake Bleu Capital
- Advised Velvet Investment Pte on the going-private transaction of Cellular Biomedicine Group.
- Advised Silk Road Fund on its participation in an EIG-led global investor consortium’s acquisition of a 49% stake in Aramco Oil Pipelines Company from Saudi Arabian Oil Co.
- Advised China Distance Education on its $308m going-private transaction, led by the buyer group of CEO and co-founder Zhengdong Zhu, co-founder Baohong Yin, and their affiliated entity.
Lesli Ligorner; Todd Liao; Charles Mo
‘Lesli Ligorner is an exceptional attorney, who is my go-to for any matters in China.’
China > TMT: foreign firms Tier 3Housing TMT specialists from offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius’ broad practice routinely acts for major technology sector players, along with investment funds and financial institutions that are active in the TMT sector. In Hong Kong, Maurice Hoo, who is highly focused on technology companies that conduct business in Asia (particularly China), is experienced in advising private equity and venture capital investors, along with multinationals and strategic investors; and Edwin Luk's sector expertise covers technology media and telecoms companies.
Brad Fagg; Michelle Pector; James Dragna
Other key lawyers:
Ella Foley Gannon; Bryan Killian; Winstol Carter; John Gisleson; Rick Rothman
SoCalGas and Sempra Energy
Mitsui E&P USA
- Acting as coordinating and litigation counsel for SoCalGas and Sempra Energy on more than 394 individual and government complaints -involving 48,000 individual plaintiffs, class actions, six derivative lawsuits etc- and related appeals to the Court of Appeal and the California Supreme Court, arising from the 2015 natural gas leak at the Aliso Canyon storage facility.
- Assisting ConocoPhilips with the filing of two IP-lawsuits in the US District Court for the Southern District of Texas – one asserting a Lanham Act claim, the other asserting infringement of two patents related to compressive seismic imaging.
- Representing Noble Energy in a putative statewide class action involving claims that Noble underpaid natural gas royalties to royalty owners in a breach of leases.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Gilligan; Laura Shortall
Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP > Firm Profile
The firm: From the firm’s *30 offices in North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, Morgan Lewis attorneys provide comprehensive litigation, corporate, finance, restructuring, employment and benefits, and intellectual property services in all major industries. The team encompasses more than 2,000 legal professionals, including lawyers, patent agents, employee benefits advisers, regulatory scientists, and other specialists who work with clients ranging from established, global Fortune 100 companies to enterprising start-ups.
Greater China: Morgan Lewis’ capabilities in Greater China have been carefully shaped to meet the complex needs of the most sophisticated clients. The firm’s lawyers – almost all of whom are native Chinese with extensive practical experience operating in China – have worked for many years both on behalf of and even inside global companies, advising on structuring and overseeing transactions and operations in the US, Latin America and Europe, as well as in China and other parts of Asia. The firm also increasingly applies a globally-grounded set of disciplines to assist leading state-owned, as well as emerging privately owned Chinese companies whose businesses are expanding into the United States, Europe, and other parts of Asia (including Central Asia and Russia).
*Its Beijing and Shanghai offices operate as representative offices of Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP. In Hong Kong, Morgan Lewis operates through Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, which is a separate Hong Kong general partnership registered with The Law Society of Hong Kong as a registered foreign law firm operating in Association with Luk & Partners.
Areas of practice: The Beijing office is a key location for Morgan Lewis clients in Asia. The firm’s lawyers in China specialise in FCPA investigations and training, government regulatory approvals, compliance, and investigations in front of different government agencies. As China continues to grow in prominence as a world economic powerhouse, the firm’s lawyers in Beijing will leverage their market knowledge with the Morgan Lewis global network to create a significant business advantage for clients doing business in China and in the region.
With a focus on inbound mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general corporate and regulatory matters in China, the firm advises Chinese companies on outbound expansion into the United States, Europe, and Japan. Sectors include life sciences and healthcare, food and drugs, media and technology (including Internet, cloud, and mobile industries), consumer goods, financial services (including banking, the burgeoning ‘non-banking financial institutions’, private equity, and investment management), and energy and infrastructure.
|Mergers and acquisitions|
|International tax planning|
|Intellectual property creation and protection|
|Intellectual property litigation|
|Antitrust investigation and litigation|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 1,884 at this office : 19
OtherContacts : K Lesli Ligorner, office managing partner
- Labour and employment: foreign firms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Corporate and M&A: foreign firms
- Private equity: foreign firms
- Regulatory/compliance: foreign firms
- TMT: foreign firms