Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría > Bogota, Colombia > Firm Profile
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría Offices
CARRERA 9 74-08
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría > The Legal 500 RankingsPhilippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría impresses with its strong lender-side relationships, which include major regional and multinational banks, multilateral finance organisations and alternative lenders, such as private equity funds. The team is also consistently active on the borrower front. Among its industry sweet spots, the firm’s formidable projects practice ensures that infrastructure-related financings remain a core source of mandates. In a recent example, it advised a group of structuring banks, including international and local lenders and hedge providers, on a COP$2.76bn financing granted to Autopista Río Magdalena — Juan Fernando Gaviria co-led the deal alongside the infrastructure and projects department. Gaviria also spearheaded the team’s representation of Societé de Promotion et de Participation Pour la Coopération Economique (Proparco) and Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional, as senior lenders, in a financing to Electribus Bogotá Fontibón II and Electribus Bogotá Usme I for the purchase of a fleet of 259 electric buses. Hernando Padilla, who recently advised Deutsche Bank on a $100m loan to Distrito Especial y Portuario de Barranquilla to finance infrastructure projects, and corporate and finance specialist Claudia Barrero co-head the team together with Gaviria. Senior associate Paula Buriticá provides capable support on banking and finance and capital markets matters. Additionally, the group was boosted at junior level by the arrivals of rising star Daniela Mejia, who joined from Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas in 2021, and associate Camilo Ballesteros, who joined in April 2021 and was formerly an in-house lawyer with merchant bank, Corficolombiana.
Juan Fernando Gaviria; Claudia Barrero; Hernando Padilla
‘The team is very good and knows the industry. The way lawyers approach issues gives customers peace of mind due to their experience.’
‘We highlight the experience of the partners and lawyers who serve us.’
Credit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
Sociéte de Promotion Et de Participation Pour la Coopération Economique
Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional
GIC Private Ltd / Softbank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Instituto de Crédito Oficial
Banco de Crédito del Perú
Siemens Financial Services
Fondo de Deuda Senior para Infraestructura en Colombia CAF-AM
Banco de Bogota
- Advised a group of structuring banks, including international and local lenders and hedge providers, on a COP$2.76bn financing — comprised of bonds issued in the international capital markets, USD loans and COP loans — granted to Autopista Río Magdalena.
- Counsel to Societé de Promotion et de Participation Pour la Coopération Economique and Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional, as senior lenders, in a financing to Electribus Bogotá Fontibón II and Electribus Bogotá Usme I for the purchase of a fleet of 259 electric buses.
- Acted for BTG Pactual and Banco Santander, as bookrunners, on the offering of COP$760bn of Rule 144A/Reg.S social bonds, issued by Patrimonio Autónomo Montes de María.
Colombia > Corporate and M&A Tier 1The top-flight corporate practice at Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría ‘stands as an example in Latin America’, according to some. The team’s ability to ‘adapt to the needs of the client‘ is a recurring theme among sources, with its lawyers’ commercial and legal knowledge combining to ensure that the firm ‘can do super structured transactions in record time‘. Managing partner Martín Acero is widely revered for his enviable track record in major local and cross-border transactions — and his ability to advise holistically on both corporate and tax-related matters. Acero recently led the firm’s advice to Intergrupo on the sale of its share in IG Services to SoftwareONE. Claudia Barrero, highlighted for her ‘intelligence, experience, knowledge, way of leading and communicating‘, is a transactional powerhouse, whose practice encompasses corporate, M&A, finance and capital markets. Barrero recently advised Century Energy Corporation and Latin American Renewable Energy Income Fund I on the sale of seven hydroelectric plants to Isagen. Elsewhere, Felipe Cuberos teamed up with the competition department to advise Puratos on its acquisitions of T-Vapan 500, Puratos Dominicana and Levapan’s distribution operation in Ecuador. The deep bench also fields real estate and corporate specialist Juan Carlos Rocha, corporate and capital markets partner Hernando Padilla and increasingly prominent up-and-coming specialist Nicolás Tirado, who is also the Colombian office’s member of the firm’s China desk initiative. Among the firm’s talented band of younger corporate lawyers are principal associates Luz María Mercado (corporate, M&A and capital markets), David Beltrán (corporate, M&A, governance, reorganisations) and Paula Buriticá (corporate, finance, capital markets). Additionally, Juan José Castaño, a ‘young lawyer with extensive knowledge‘, returned to the team in August 2021 after a stint at associate firm Uría Menéndez. Juan Guillermo Nur and Alejandro Medina are also active associates.
Martín Acero; Juan Carlos Rocha; Claudia Barrero; Felipe Cuberos; Hernando Padilla; Nicolás Tirado
‘The attention we received in our transaction was excellent: a very professional team, with excellent negotiation skills that allowed us to achieve all the objectives that we set for ourselves as sellers. The level of PPU’s lawyers was above expectations and far exceeded the counterparty’s lawyers.’
‘Billings are correct. Lawyers are very customer friendly, always listening and extremely strong from a technical point of view. For me, the firm stands as an example in Latin America.’
‘A multidisciplinary firm with a good geographical footprint. Professionals are top-level in technical and commercial aspects and adapt to the needs of the client.’
‘We value the team’s commitment, knowledge, understanding of our needs and its ability to anticipate and execute in each situation. Its way of teaming up with the client is special: all lawyers are at the forefront of the deal, executing and making things happen. It can do super structured transactions in record time.’
‘Claudia Barrero is exceptional. Her intelligence, experience, knowledge, way of leading and communicating, sagacity, simplicity and commitment make her unique.’
‘Felipe Cuberos, head of the department, is an excellent lawyer.’
‘Nicolás Tirado, who was in charge of the transaction, is a highly trained lawyer. He allowed us to negotiate the most critical points of the transaction in a very simple and educational way for both parties.‘
‘Associate Juan José Castaño is a young lawyer with extensive knowledge , very willing to serve us at all times. Thanks to his commitment to the transaction, we managed to finalise it quickly, exceeding all our expectations.‘
Lactalis (formerly Parmalat)
Leonis & Cia
United Parcel Service
Bolsa de Valores de Colombia
Bridget Management International Corp
- Advised Intergrupo on the sale of its share in IG Services to SoftwareONE.
- Advised Bolsa de Valores de Colombia, Bolsa de Comercio de Santiago and Bolsa de Valores de Lima on their business integration operation amid the envisioned consolidation of a single securities market for Colombia, Chile and Peru.
- Acted for Puratos on its acquisition of manufacturing and distributing companies T-Vapan 500, Puratos Dominicana and Levapan’s distribution operation in Ecuador – notably, the firm led the multi-jurisdictional co-ordination of the deal.
Héctor Hernández; Julio César González
‘A team with extensive knowledge and strong leadership. Lawyers are always attentive, respond in a timely manner to any requirement and consistently update the client on any news related to the process. The cost, compared to similar firms, is quite competitive.’
‘We value the team’s knowledge of the subject and good communication.’
‘I would recommended associate Juan Sebastián Aria due to the speed and depth of his advice.’
‘Santiago Cruz Mantilla (associate) is a lawyer who has extensive knowledge and proposes innovative and timely procedural strategies.’
Servicios Postales Nacionales
Aeropuertos de Oriente
FSQ Group (Sandwich Cubano)
Hyundai Doosan Infracore
Comercializadora Nacional (Pepsico Group)
Philip Morris International
- Representing USG Corporation in a judicial proceeding related to a distribution agreement to sell the client’s products in Colombia.
- Acting for Oxígenos de Colombia in a contractual dispute derived from the allegedly wrongful termination of a contract to provide transportation to support its logistical operation to distribute goods.
- Defending SAP Colombia in a claim brought by Mtbase, which alleges the existence of an agency relationship between them based on a software license distribution contract entered into by both parties.
‘The PPU team is a cohesive team that offers advice and comprehensive support to its clients. Lawyers are quick and thorough in their responses, have great knowledge of both legal and technical issues and an excellent customer service vocation, adapting to needs and providing alternatives that allow the client to make the best decisions.’
‘Associate Mateo Sinisterra excels in the team. He is a great connoisseur of the mining industry in all its phases and minerals, both in technical, economic and legal aspects. He is an exceptional, deep, comprehensive professional who provides a high-quality service committed to the interests of the client.’
‘We value the team’s knowledge of the market and its ability to lend that knowledge to the contracts we develop. Sandra Manrique and associate Juan Pablo Gutiérrez perfectly understand the details of the market and translates those into contracts. In negotiating PPAs with other law firms, the difference in knowledge is noticeable.’
‘The PPU team, and in particular Sandra Manrique and associate Johanna Cajigas, are experts in the legal and regulatory framework for natural gas and electricity. They provide analysis, not only from the legal point of view, but also including a business vision that favourably impacts decision-making.’
‘These lawyers are experts on the issues they are consulted on and have business experience. Sandra Manrique and associate Johanna Cajigas are the best option to consult and provide an external opinion on the issues under analysis.’
‘PPU’s team in the energy and natural resources practice is exceptional. Always willing, very knowledgeable about the issues and with creative ideas aligned with the business.’
‘Sandra Manrique is without a doubt one of the best lawyers in the country in the matters she handles. Her service is impeccable. She remains close to the client and is always prepared.’
‘Johanna Cajigas and Juan Pablo Gutiérrez, as directors of the area, are excellent. They know the issues in detail, they are courteous and creative when proposing solutions.’
CNE Oil & Gas
Morgan Stanley / Bank of America Securities / Canaccord Genuity Corp (Canada)
Minera de Cobre Quebradona
Agencia Nacional De Hidrocarburos (ANH)
Acciona Energía Chile
Cenit Transporte y Logística de Hidrocarburos
Lewis Energy Colombia
Steag Renewables & Services Colombia
Mineros Aluvial and Mineros
Ultracem, Ultramin and Juan Manuel Ruiseco & Cia
Deep Mining Coal
- Acted as local counsel to BHP on the $588m sale of its shares and participation interest in the Cerrejón coal project to Glencore.
- Advised Cenit Transporte y Logística de Hidrocarburos on various matters, including analysis related to the recent review of the remuneration methodology for crude oil transportation assets.
- Advised Trina Solar on the development of five generation plants, including controversies with the grid operator in relation to the commercial operation date of the generation plants and the fulfilment of the requirements necessary to inject energy into the grid.
Colombia > Environment Tier 1Among Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's key assets, sources highlight its ‘technical knowledge regarding regulation' as well as its ‘constant availability and very good response times'. The firm excels in all key pillars of environmental law, from permitting and compliance issues, through to litigation and sanctioning processes. The group’s development of a new sanitary law sub-practice is also worthy of note; it is adjusting to new public health regulations created in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. Department head Luis Fernando Macías is widely hailed an expert in his field, particularly in regard to contentious matters. The practice also houses an impressive group of associates, with principals Ivan Paez and Alexander Acosta noted for litigation and advisory work respectively. Additionally, senior associate María Alejandra Gómez garners rave reviews from clients for her ‘deep knowledge of environmental law'.
Luis Fernando Macías
‘We highlight PPU’s speed in its responses to our queries, its technical knowledge regarding regulation and the advisory capacity of the team. We are very satisfied with the support the firm provides, the professionalism with which lawyers address our concerns and the kindness of the team.’
‘We appreciate the firm’s constant availability and very good response times.’
‘It has a qualified team, with extensive knowledge in the field, which always seeks to provide the best advice to the client.’
‘Lawyers are always willing to collaborate to advise on the issues on which they are consulted and demonstrate good knowledge of the project undertaken.’
‘We have built a close relationship with the advisors who assist us, particularly with María Alejandra Gómez, who clearly understands the needs of our business and assists us quickly, kindly and wisely.’
‘María Alejandra Gómez is an excellent professional, with great knowledge. She provides us with options to solve problems and always maintains a good disposition.’
‘Principal associate Ivan Paez perfectly understands the issues and is always available to provide legal support as required. He looks for practical solutions within the legal framework to help our company.’
‘María Alejandra Gómez offers excellent service and demonstrates deep knowledge of environmental law and its applicability to the infrastructure industry.’
Mansarovar Energy Colombia
Concesionaria Vial del Pacífico
Sociedad Aeroportuaria de la Costa
Compañía Nacional de Levaduras, Levapan
Transmisora Colombiana De Energía
Autopistas del Nordeste
Concesionaria Vial Del Oriente
Aes Chivor & Cia
Productos Naturales de la Sabana – Alquería
- Advised Bayer on designing a strategy to authorise the production of agrochemical products, such as glyphosate, through the modification of the environmental licence by Resolution 1044 of 2020.
- Represented Mansarovar Energy Colombia on the submission before the Environmental National Authority of the updating of the obligation related to the forced investment of 1% of the value of the total project, as an opportunity to avoid overruns to the client.
- Successfully represented Holcim Colombia before the Tribunal de Boyacá in the judicial process of Reparación Directa, with regards to accusations of negative impacts on water resources linked to the occurrence of floods in the lands surrounding the plant.
Colombia > Projects Tier 1‘Unquestionably within the top two firms in this space in Colombia', Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's projects practice attracts praise from sources for its ‘strong market share and deep bench'. The team covers the waterfront on projects matters, with enviable offerings in public procurement, public law, infrastructure and project finance. A popular choice to represent leading banks and funds, the group also acts for domestic and multinational sponsors, government entities and multilateral credit agencies on the full range of transport, social, public utilities and real estate infrastructure projects. Jorge Di Terlizzi is highly regarded for his infrastructure and public law expertise, while banking specialist Juan Fernando Gaviria is recognised for his strength in project finance; they are highlighted together as ‘outstanding practitioners‘. Corporate finance partner Hernando Padilla and up-and-coming partner Carlos Padilla co-head the department alongside Di Terlizzi and Gaviria. Associate Camilo Forero is noted for his focus on state contracting and litigation.
Jorge Di Terlizzi; Juan Fernando Gaviria; Hernando Padilla; Carlos Padilla
‘An excellent team. Lawyers are experts in the development of projects, and they know the interests of their clients.’
‘Juan Fernando Gaviria has a lot of knowledge and experience; he looks for solutions and not problems.’
‘The team compares favourably to to other firms; it is efficient and dynamic.’
‘Lawyers stand out for their efficiency, their knowledge of the contracted matter, their leadership in the search for alternatives to proposed solutions.’
‘A very strong team technically. The team is extremely knowledgeable in this area, unquestionably within the top two firms in this space in Colombia. Strong market share and deep bench. Excellent client service.’
‘I have worked extensively with Juan Fernando Gaviria and Jorge Di Terlizzi and they are outstanding practitioners.’
‘We value the team for its dedication and interest in the projects under its management. Strong monitoring and control in each activity that it develops.’
‘Lawyers are attentive to all the needs of the project, contributing ideas and participating very actively. They are always ready.’
Grupo Aeroportuario del Caribe (Barranquilla Airport Concessionaire)
Sociedad Aeroportuaria del Caribe
Royal Boskalis Westminster Group and Mercantil Colpatria
Concesionaria Vial Ruta del Cacao (sponsors Cintra, Mercantil Colpatria, Ashmore, John Laing)
Credit Agricole – Ca CiB
Aeropuertos de Oriente (North East Airports Concessionaire)
Royal Boskalis Westminster Group
Inter-American Investment Corporation – IDB Invest
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG)
China Harbor Engineering Corporation
Mexican Infrastructure Partners (MIP)
China Construction America (CCA)
Corporación Andina de Fomento
Sociéte de Promotion Et de Participation Pour la Coopération Economique and Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional
- Acted for the structuring banks, international and local lenders and hedge providers in a COP$2.7bn financing comprised of bonds issued in the international capital markets, USD loans and COP loans granted to Autopista Río Magdalena.
- Advised the lenders and the initial purchasers on the $1.7bn refinancing granted to EnfraGen Spain, Prime Energía, and EnfraGen Energía Sur; the proceeds will be used to refinance the existing debt of the EnfraGen group and invest in new projects in the short term.
- Acted for BTG Pactual and Banco Santander as bookrunners on the COP$760bn offering of senior secured Rule 144A/Reg. S social bonds issued by Patrimonio Autónomo Montes de María; the first social bond linked to an infrastructure project in Latin America.
Colombia > Tax Tier 1‘In tune with the client’s needs', Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's tax team impresses sources for its ability to join up with other areas of the full-service and multi-jurisdictional firm to provide ‘comprehensive tax advice that takes into account almost all of the possible implications'. Standing as one of the most dominant tax practices in the market, the group routinely advises on tax planning, transactional tax structuring and tax litigation — it also benefits from a thriving transfer pricing unit. Key figure Martín Acero is noted for his experience in corporate, transactional and private client tax and co-heads the department alongside Carolina Rozo, whose practice takes in tax consultancy, tax planning and litigation. The group additionally includes Barranquilla office head Héctor Ramírez, who was promoted to partner in January 2022 and specialises in tax and international trade. Principal associates Leonardo Cote and Verónica Barone are also recommended.
Martín Acero; Carolina Rozo; Héctor Ramírez
‘The law firm has at its disposal all the areas of law that I need as a client; this is a great advantage as it has all the resources required to provide comprehensive tax advice that takes into account almost all of the possible implications. It also has excellent contacts with the relevant authorities.’
‘The team is always cohesive and in tune with the client’s needs. The team is very well integrated and comprised of lawyers with different skills.’
‘Martín Acero and his tax team are clear in their assessments. Lawyers are practical in presenting solutions when things look difficult; they are orderly and fulfil the commitments acquired in the delivery of the advice.’
‘In general, the partners of the firm are people who have high national recognition, therefore they are very well informed.’
Organización Ardila Lulle
Cepsa (Sucursal Colombia)
Fondo de Capital Privado Fintra
Latam Logistic Propco
Auteco and Auteco Mobility
- Designed the tax structure of the corporate integration of the Colombian, Peruvian and Chilean stock exchanges.
- Advised CMPC Tissue on the design of a regional transfer pricing policy, consistent with the overall corporate strategy of the multinational group and its interest to enter into the regional market.
- Advised Tekni-Plex on designing the tax structure for its acquisition of Grupo Phoenix operations in Colombia, Mexico and USA, through the acquisition of an offshore holding company.
Colombia > Capital markets Tier 2Over the past year, Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's capital markets practice has been particularly active on behalf of underwriters. In a highlight example, it represented BTG Pactual and Banco Santander as bookrunners on Patrimonio Autónomo Montes de María’s $209m issuance of Rule 144A/Reg.S social bonds — banking, corporate and capital markets partner Hernando Padilla co-led the work alongside the projects and infrastructure practice. The group also benefits from the expertise of transactional generalist Claudia Barrero and banking, finance and capital markets specialist Juan Fernando Gaviria — together, they co-lead the capital markets group alongside Padilla. Recommended names at senior associate level include Luz María Mercado (corporate and capital markets), Paula Buriticá (corporate, finance and capital markets), and new arrival Daniela Mejía, who joined as an associate co-ordinator from Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas in December 2021.
Claudia Barrero; Hernando Padilla; Juan Fernando Gaviria
Bolsas de Valores de Bogotá, Lima & Santiago
Canaccord Genuity Corp (Canada)
JP Morgan Chase Bank
- Acted for BTG Pactual and Banco Santander, as bookrunners, on Patrimonio Autónomo Montes de María’s $209m offering of Rule 144A/Reg.S social bonds.
- A cross-office team advised the stock markets of Bogotá, Lima and Santiago on the legal feasibility, and potential requirements, that would allow an integration of the infrastructure and services of the three entities.
- Advised BofA Securities, Canaccord Genuity Corp (Canada) and Morgan Stanley & Co, as the initial purchasers, joint lead managers and bookrunners, on the Colombian law aspects of a $300m Rule 144A/Reg.S notes offering by Gran Colombia Gold Corp.
‘Diego Cardona is a very good and pragmatic lawyer.’
‘The firm is highly professional, with expert lawyers in the field. Very committed to providing highly competent, results-focused, first-rate advice.’
‘Lawyers explain, with dedication and detail, the facts and the legal aspects that apply to each situation.’
‘This team is dedicated to the client. They respond to every inquiry we make in a timely manner.’
‘In this area, Philippi, Prietocarrizosa & Uría fields a highly technically trained team to deal with different and diverse competition and antitrust issues — practice areas in which a high degree of expertise is needed. Its response times are efficient and its quality of service is outstanding.’
‘Diego Cardona attends to our matters personally, which is a big plus for us. In addition to continuous monitoring until the issue is resolved, on several occasions, he has addressed our concerns with our parent company directly, which has demonstrated credibility and professionalism in his area of expertise.’
‘We particularly highlight Diego’s experience and knowledge of our company, as well as our industry.’
Toyota Financial Services Corporation
Boston Scientific Corporation
Arthur G. Gallagher & Co
- Represented Arthur G Gallagher & Co in the merger control procedure of its acquisition of the treaty reinsurance business of Willis Towers Watson.
- Acted for Yumbo Limpio, the waste management operator in the municipality of Yumbo, in a highly sensitive ongoing antitrust investigation into the awarding of the waste management contract in the municipality.
- Acted for Boston Scientific Corporation on the Colombian merger control procedure concerning its acquisition of the global surgical business of Lumenis.
Héctor Hernández; Julio César González
‘We recommend the team due to its availability and practicality.’
‘Lawyers demonstrate total commitment to the dispute and provide comprehensive support.’
‘Héctor Hernández has assisted us constantly and directly in judicial processes. He stays close to the client and his experience brings great peace of mind.’
‘Associate Juan Sebastián Arias is very professional and always ready to resolve our concerns.’
‘I highlight Juan Sebastián Arias for his good disposition, simple explanations and ability to provide clear advice.‘
Fondo de Capital Privado Fondo Inmobiliario Colombia
Canacol Energy Colombia
Sociedad Portuaria de Buenaventura
Mota-Engil Engenharia e Construcao
- Successfully represented state-owned Gecelca 3 in an international arbitration brought by Chinese consortium CUC-DTC related to the construction of a thermal power generation plant in Puerto Libertador.
‘An excellent team, which is characterised by its lawyers’ professionalism and practicality.’
‘We recommend the practice for its quality and knowledge.’
‘The team led by Carolina Porras is by far the best prepared on labour law issues in Colombia. It has proven experience and knowledge of the different topics, including the design of labour litigation strategy.’
‘Carolina Porras and, in general, her team of lawyers are diligent, accurate in their analysis of the issues consulted and, particularly, very quick to respond. The experience and knowledge of the downstream industry and corporate issues makes them stand out in Colombia.’
‘A trained team, which is very well oriented towards corporate labour advice.’
‘Up-to-date knowledge concerning applicability of the most recent decisions of the Superior Courts (Labour Chamber and the Supreme Court of Justice). Periodic communications via email of the legal provisions issued in labour matters.’
CI Colombian Natural Resources
Nokia Solutions and Networks Colombia
BRC Ratings – S&P Global
Abbott Laboratories de Colombia
Te Connectivity Colombia
Command Alkon Colombia
Repsol Oil and Gas Colombia
Alexion Pharma Colombia
Center for International Private Enterprise
- Advised a bank on the modification and elimination of a housing allowance union benefit, agreed before a corporate transaction took place.
- Advised Alpha Holding on the termination of labour agreements following the bankruptcy of the client’s controlling corporation in the US.
- Represented Nokia Solutions and Networks Colombia in several labour proceedings filed by former managerial employees who claimed their reinstatement.
Colombia > Public law Tier 2Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría is valued by sources for its ‘great experience and knowledge of the infrastructure sector’. Indeed, its public law practice is particularly recognised for its experience in representing concessionaires in the full range of related matters, from bidding procedures through to operational issues and litigation. Department head Jorge Di Terlizzi specialises in public law and infrastructure and oversees a team that also draws upon projects and infrastructure partner Carlos Padilla and litigation specialist Hector Hernandez . Additional support is provided by associates Diana Botero (corporate and administrative law), Camilo Forero (infrastructure, projects and public law), and Santiago Cruz (dispute resolution).
Jorge Di Terlizzi
‘The service provided by PPU is excellent in every way. First of all, they have extensive knowledge and, on the other hand, they are proactive and take a very practical approach.’
‘PPU offers the following advantages: as a firm that has been involved in many of the large infrastructure projects in Colombia, its technical and market knowledge is unbeatable; it is a firm oriented to the needs of the client, providing practical solutions to problems that arise; high availability; extremely efficient.’
‘Without a doubt, I highlight the good work of Carlos Padilla.’
‘An excellent work team, with great experience and knowledge of the infrastructure sector.’
‘We recommend the group for its comprehensiveness, knowledge, respect, and independence.’
‘Dispute resolution partner Héctor Hernández and principal associate Santiago Cruz work seamlessly with us on a very large international arbitration matter. Its strong team of English-fluent attorneys and its ability to explain civil law concepts to the client makes it stand out.’
China Harbor Engineering Corporation
Banco Agrario de Colombia
Grupo Aeroportuario de la Costa (Barranquilla Airport Concessionaire)
Sociedad Aeroportuaria del Caribe (Cartagena Airport Concessionaire)
Royal Boskalis Westminster Group
Ruta del Cacao
Aeropuertos de Oriente SAS (North East Airports — 5 — Concessionaire)
Metro Línea 1 (leading sponsor China Harbour Engineering Corporation)
Vinci Highways and Vinci Concessions
- Advising China Harbour Engineering Company on the unsolicited PPP proposal for the construction of the second tunnel of the La Línea Project, among the largest road tunnels in Colombia.
- Advising Grupo Aeroportuario del Caribe on the performance of the concession agreement of the Barranquilla International Airport, including on the negotiation of the rebalancing of the concession agreement due to the negative economic effects caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advising Sociedad Aeroportuaria del Caribe on the performance of the concession agreement of the Cartagena International Airport, including on the extension of the concession agreement term.
Colombia > Real estate Tier 2The ‘highly creative‘ real estate and urban law team at Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría stands out for its ‘practical and rigorous‘ lawyers. A strong performer in both transactional and regulatory matters, the firm represents Colombian and international clients on an array of construction agreements, sale and purchase transactions, lease agreements and administrative law issues. Department head Juan Carlos Rocha is a go-to real estate specialist and is equipped to advise major industry clients on the full range of urban, rural and agroindustry projects. ‘Detail-oriented‘ senior associate Diana Lozano and associate Jaime Ramírez are also noted for their dedicated practice support.
Juan Carlos Rocha
‘We have received excellent advice from the real estate practice at PPU. Lawyers are practical and rigorous at the same time.’
‘Juan Carlos Rocha and his team are wonderful lawyers; great experience and very responsive. The best lawyers I have ever met.’
‘The firm has a lot of knowledge, resources and experience.’
‘The team stands out for its agility, commitment, and attention to detail.’
‘We recommend Juan Carlos Rocha. We have received constant support in our businesses from him; he is a very close partner and fully participates in the business.’
‘We highlight the team’s knowledge and dedication. Lawyers’ maintain excellent relationships with their clients. They connect with customer needs.’
‘Associate Diana Lozano is detail-oriented, results-oriented and her presentations are impeccable. She tracks all activities.’
‘It is a highly creative firm and, due to this, it manages to formulate different solutions to the needs of clients.’
Carvajal Propiedades e Inversiones
Grupo Energía Bogotá
Fondo Inmobiliario Colombia (FIC)
Fondo de Inversión Colectiva Inmobiliaria Sirenta
Agroindustrial de Palma Aceitera (sucursal Colombia)
Abbott Laboratories de Colombia (Lafrancol)
Minera de Cobre Quebradona (Anglogold Ashanti)
Centro Comercial Santa Fe
Cardenas Marketing Network
Latam Logistic Col Propco Cota 1
Sociedad Aeroportuaria de la Costa (SACSA)
Century Energy Corporation; Latin American Renewable Energy Income Fund I
Unión Temporal Edificio Carrera 13
- Advised Carvajal Propiedades e Inversiones on the redevelopment of a strategic asset near to El Dorado Airport; on the negotiation of the termination of a previous lease agreement; and on the execution of a redevelopment agreement with Patrimonio Autónomo Estrategias Inmobiliarias (PEI).
- Acted for Fondo de Inversión Colectiva Inmobiliaria Sirenta on a real estate acquisition process, including real estate and urban law-related due diligence, deal structuring, and the negotiation of agreements pursuant to the acquisition of leased commercial premises.
- Advised Centro Comercial Santa Fe on the negotiation of a long-term lease agreement with H&M to open a new shopping store in Santa Fe Shopping Centre.
Juan Carlos Forero; Pamela Alarcón
‘These lawyers do an exceptional job. They are professionals with extensive experience, very high availability to attend to priority and relevant matters, very friendly client service and reliable and timely deliverables.’
‘It is excellent in the matters it is in charge of; its lawyers make things happen, they are always attentive to any need in the most friendly and respectful way.’
‘The firm made the best decision when it added this criminal practice. Compliance and criminal issues are increasingly important focuses for any company in the world due to globalisation.’
‘Companies must be protected and this team – which includes people with the best experience – ensures that we are up-to-date in our processes, so we can protect our shareholders, employees and transactions.’
‘I work with Pamela Alarcón and Juan Carlos Forero. They are impeccable in their work, their experience is very robust (in all sectors), their response is immediate, they go beyond what is necessary for prevention and protection.’
‘The team maintains a 24/7 availability and closeness to the client that is priceless. They are excellent lawyers — among the best in the country.’
‘Andrea Succar is a lawyer with extensive knowledge of criminal law. She always responds in a timely manner. Her briefs are complete and very good. She is also a very kind person, always providing the necessary support.’
‘Pamela Alarcón, a partner in the area, has extensive knowledge that makes her a benchmark in the field. Always attentive and willing to find a solution in these complex issues.’
Prosegur Vigilancia y Seguridad Privada
KPMG Advisory Tax & Legal
Concesionaria Ruta del Cacao
Gestion De Servicios Globales (GSG)
Sociedad Aeroportuaria de la Costa (SACSA)
Fundación Santo Domingo
Asociación Probienestar de la Familia Colombiana (Profamilia)
Grupo Energía Bogotá
Sociedad Interamericana de Aguas y Servicios (INASSA)
Adelante Soluciones Financieras
- Represented Abbott Laboratories (Chile), as a victim, in a fraud-related case.
- Acted for Prosegur Vigilancia y Seguridad Privada, as a victim, in multiple cases concerning fraud and misconduct.
- Represented Diana Corporación, as a victim, in several fraud and misconduct-related cases.
‘PPU handles our intellectual property matters for us. Lawyers have extensive knowledge of the IP area and keep themselves up to date. Good at conflict resolution and preventive law.’
‘The team is comprised of good business associates, who help define the company’s strategy in matters of management.’
‘Lawyers are timely and accurate in their recommendations. Excellent flexibility in billing issues.’
‘Principal associate Camilo Suárez certainly stands out. He responds to multiple queries in a complete, efficient and timely manner. He understands the client’s needs very well.’
‘Invoicing is fast and proactive; it is a good way of invoicing since it allows you to keep track of processes and costs. The knowledge of lawyers in intellectual property matters is very good.’
‘The PPU team is exceptionally good. Lawyers are always willing to help and accommodate the needs of clients. As a novelty, in the event of any doubts regarding a client’s matter, the firm’s lawyers — particularly Camilo Suárez — take the time to meet not only with the client’s lawyer, but also with people from other areas of the company.’
‘We highlight the quality and dedication in the work offered. There is unconditional dedication and commitment from advisers, in order to provide favourable solutions to customers.’
‘Camilo Suarez is a successful lawyer in his concepts and comments; he acts quickly and with excellence. He is always available and his recommendations denote great knowledge of the market and the client’s vision.’
Kirkland & Ellis / Delta Airlines
Societé Des Produits Nestlé
Cardenas Marketing Network
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosatti Professional Corp / Spotify
CPA Global Group Holdings
McDermott Will & Emery
The Sensory Lab – Radio Ambiente Musical
Command Alkon Incorporated
Drinker Biddle & Reath
- Advising Delta Airlines on a trade mark conflict, involving trade marks registered or applied for by Marriott Worldwide in two jurisdictions (Colombia and Peru), in the context of a worldwide case.
- Acting for Cardenas Marketing Network on all IP, real estate, advertising, consumer protection and corporate matters for the construction of “ARENA BOGOTA”, a ticketing service platform.
- Advising Command Alkon on entering the Colombian market with master service level agreements and software licensing agreements.
Martín Acero; Carolina Rozo; Héctor Ramírez
Sociedad Aeroportuaria de la Costa (SACSA)
Cogent Communications Colombia
Compañía Envasadora del Atlántico
Several private clients
- Advised Diaco regarding foreign exchange regulations in Colombia.
- Advised private clients in relation to the foreign exchange aspects of their foreign investments.
- Advised CI Girdle & Lingerie on several foreign exchange matters, including on a legal and foreign exchange analysis of its corporate structure and operations.
Colombia > Life sciences Tier 3Traditionally weighted towards IP law, Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría‘s life sciences offering is increasingly involved in regulatory work, including sanitary matters in the pharma, foodstuffs and cosmetics sectors. The team is also distinguished by its ability to act as a regional hub for multinational life sciences clients and frequently provides support on matters involving Andean countries, Central America, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay. Department head Mauricio Patiño specialises in IP, competition and dispute resolution. IP-focused principal associates Gerardo Flórez and Camilo Suárez provide support.
Alpina Productos Alimenticios
McDermott Will & Emery / Google
Grupo B Braun Colombia
Econnabis / Plena Global Holdings
Alimentos Polar Colombia
- Managing Mondelez Colombia’s foodstuffs portfolio (around 250 items), including modifications, renewals and new applications, promotional activities, consumer protection and advertising campaigns.
- Managing Brinsa’s foodstuffs and cleaning products portfolio (around 78 items), including modifications, renewals and new applications, promotional activities, new product launches, consumer protection and advertising campaigns.
- Representing Skeletal Dynamics on obtaining the health registration of a new line of medical devices including high-risk products with INVIMA and consumer protection authorities as to labelling and advertising.
Colombia > Insurance Tier 4Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría finds favour with clients for its ‘very deep knowledge of the insurance industry in Colombia at all levels'. The team specialises in defending the interests of insureds, insurance companies and insurance and reinsurance brokers, but it also handles regulatory and product structuring matters. Counsel Rebeca Herrera -who is noted for her ‘creative and problem-solving attitude'- steers the team.
‘We value the firm for its knowledge in various insurance lines, in our case the financial and cyber spheres. Lawyers are always willing to resolve concerns with opportunity and quality.’
‘PPU has an exceptional team in the insurance field, accumulating many years of experience in serving significant clients in Colombia, including its continuous attention to one of the largest oil and gas companies in Latin America.’
‘The lawyers of this firm possess superior experience in tending to the most complex insurance and reinsurance programmes in the country. Rebeca Herrera demonstrates superior professionalism and legal expertise, as well as strong relationships with each of her clients.’
‘A very efficient team, which draws upon members with extensive experience and solid knowledge in the field.’
‘The professional quality with which all matters are addressed is remarkable, as is the response to queries. Another very important characteristic is the personalised and integrated follow-up from various areas, which is a differential feature in relation to other firms — there seems to be very good communication between departments.’
‘Rebeca Herrera and her team provide immediate responses, even outside office hours, and always in a clear and concrete manner. In the face of any inconvenience inherent to legal procedures, we always have an appropriate, clear and timely solution.’
‘The firm has a very deep knowledge of the insurance industry in Colombia at all levels, from regulatory aspects through to dispute resolution. It also has solid relationships within the sector, and an excellent reputation. Its relationships with international firms also gives it a global footprint.’
‘I have known Rebeca Herrera for many years, and have always been very impressed with her. We have worked together on several complex insurance losses. Rebeca is very knowledgeable, and her creative and problem-solving attitude have been essential for the successful resolution of our cases.’
Mapfre Seguros Generales de Colombia
Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional
AON Corredores de Reaseguro
Protección Agropecuaria Compañía de Seguros
- Advising Mapfre in an international arbitration against a reinsurer.
- Acting for Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional in an arbitration against an insurance company in Colombia that denied payments of dense expenses under a crime insurance policy.
- Advising Oneglobal Broking in several Latin American countries, and in Florida in the US, on its registration and incorporation as a reinsurance and insurance broker.
Colombia > TMT Tier 5Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's TMT offering is noted for its experience in providing ongoing regulatory and compliance advice to local and multinational media and technology companies. The firm also advises TMT clients on IP and corporate transactions. Department head Diego Cardona is a regulatory specialist and handles data protection matters.
Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Cartagena (SPRC)
Cardenas Marketing Network
- Advised SAP Colombia on various aspects of its operations in Colombia, including on compliance with cybersecurity and data protection laws.
- Advised Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Cartagena on the process of identifying protectable software developments, assuring the ownership over the economic rights, drafting of all transfer and licensing agreements, and securing registrations with the Copyright Office for over 30 specialised software and apps.
- Advised Cardenas Marketing Network on all IP, real estate, advertising, consumer protection and corporate matters for the construction of Arena Bogotá, a ticketing-service platform.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría > Firm Profile
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uria is the first major Ibero-American law firm, with offices in Chile, Colombia and Peru. Uria Menendez also brings to the firm its network of offices.
Areas of practice
Banking, finance and capital markets: advises banks on syndicated financing, asset financing and project financing and the development of the innovative financial structures and products, represents underwriters and issuers in the placement of bond and securities in Colombia and abroad.
Competition: antitrust, including investigations by authorities, litigation concerning cartels and abuse of dominance, consultations on M&A operations, settlements, audits on level of compliance and legal reports.
Corporate/M&A: all aspects of corporate law, including business integrations, tax matters, structuring and implementing public tender offers and the acquisition and sale of listed companies, restructurings, national and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, spin-offs and business reorganization proceedings.
Dispute resolution: prevention and resolution of civil and criminal disputes involving complex legal and technical issues for national and international clients spanning a wide range of industries.
Energy, mining and natural resources: highly specialized lawyers provide comprehensive advice on legal matters for the development of projects in different areas such as mining, industrial, energy, corporate, infrastructure and real estate, among others.
Infrastructure and projects: advising companies involved in toll roads and ports and purchasers and sellers; participated as counsel in financing; and on the privatization of public utilities and ports.
Intellectual property/life sciences: all aspects of intellectual property, patents, trademarks, industrial designs, utility models, copyrights, sports and entertainment matters, litigation, unfair competition, pharmaceutical licensing and health registrations.
Labor: litigation, collective bargaining, employee benefits, due diligence and audits, corporate restructuring, immigration, pensions, internal policies, wages and benefits, taxation, health and safety.
Private clients and family: long-term all inclusive legal advice, in accordance with the highest international standards, for business families on the development of estate planning structures.
Public law: long-standing public law department advising a wide range of clients from the private and public sectors, such as governmental entities.
Real estate: shopping mall planning and construction, superstore construction, real estate trusts and leasing, long term lease agreements, due diligence, real estate guarantees, regulatory issues and local permits.
Tax and international trade: structuring domestic and international operations and transactions involving foreign trade, customs and foreign exchange, tax planning, customs consulting and tax litigation.
TMT (technology, media and telecommunications): advising multinational media and technology companies in all their regional legal matters, from software licenses and TV formats to customs matters.
|Banking, finance and capital markets||JF Gaviria|
|Banking, finance and capital markets||C Barrero|
|Banking, finance and capital markets||H Padilla|
|Banking, finance and capital markets||J Valle|
|Dispute resolution||H Hernández|
|Dispute resolution||JC González|
|Dispute resolution||F Cuberos|
|Dispute resolution||M Patiño|
|Dispute resolution||M Carrizosa|
|Energy, mining and natural resources||S Manrique|
|Infrastructure and projects||J Di Terlizzi|
|Infrastructure and projects||JF Gaviria|
|IP/life sciences||M Patiño|
|Private clients and family||C Barrero|
|Public law||C Barrero Berardinelli|
|Public law||J Di Terlizzi|
|Public law||S Manrique|
|Real estate||JC Rocha|
|Tax and international trade||M Acero|
|Tax and international trade||C Rozo|
Staff FiguresOther fee-earners : 367 Total staff : 615
OtherPartners : 52
- Banking and finance
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution > Litigation
- Energy and natural resources
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets
- Competition and antitrust
- Dispute resolution > Arbitration
- Labour and employment
- Public law
- Real estate
- Compliance and white-collar crime
- Intellectual property
- International trade and customs
- Life sciences