Nixon Peabody LLP > Washington DC, United States > Firm Profile
Nixon Peabody LLP Offices
799 9th Street NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20001-5327
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Nixon Peabody LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsNixon Peabody LLP has longstanding experience in acting as national litigation counsel for aviation manufacturers. Clients regularly look to the team to represent them in National Transportation Safety Board, FAA and foreign accident investigations. The practice also assists manufacturing, aviation and other transportation clients with regulatory matters, as well as the establishment of risk management and product integrity procedures. In New York, Joseph Ortego routinely handles aviation sector-related litigation, and regulatory and compliance issues. San Francisco-based Brian Dalrymple, whose is noted for his 'talent and expertise...backed up by engineering knowledge and pilot experience‘, acts in the co-ordination and defense of complex, multi-district and class action litigation, while counsel Tracey Scarpello in Buffalo regularly defends and counsels aviation industry clients.
‘This practice offers a very good combination of legal and technical skills.‘
‘Their experience in aviation litigation and regulatory matters is a great asset.‘
‘Brian Dalrymple’s legal talent and expertise are backed up and improved by his engineering knowledge and pilot experience – these render his advice and support outstanding in relation to both the strategic and tactical aspects of aviation litigation.‘
Daher Socata d/b/a Socata North America
Avions de Transport Regional
- Represented Daher-Socata Aerospace in securing a unanimous defense verdict in Broward County in Florida which concluded that pilot error caused the crash of the single-engine TBM 850, and that the plane was safe and free of any defect.
- Represented Avions de Transport Régional (ATR) in the CTSB investigation and litigation arising from the December 2017 accident of West Wind Aviation’s Flight #280 at Fond-du-Lac in Saskatchewan.
- Represented Avions de Transport Régional in hull subrogation litigation arising from the March 2014 landing accident of Calm Air International’s Flight MO515 at Churchill in Manitoba.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Langan; Gregory O’Shaughnessy; John Partigan; Eric Tanck; David Brown; Gary Levenstein; Sam Kim
‘For our M&A transaction we worked primarily with Gary Levenstein and Samuel Kim. They are both exceptional. The process of going through an M&A transaction is grueling. Knowing that we had someone of Gary’s level and expertise looking out for us was amazing and very reassuring. From day one, Gary Levenstein has been our main contact, and he has always been accessible whenever we needed him. We were fortunate that Gary was able to have one of his best people as our day to day contact in Samuel Kim. He is sharp and tough when needed while always professional.’
‘We started working with Nixon Peabody in 2016, and we have always been impressed with every person with whom we interacted. They are a firm of extremely talented attorneys across a range of fields. Our main reason for working with Nixon Peabody was for their M&A legal services. Their expertise and dedication is unparalleled. It is a joy to have a company on your side whose motives and integrity are never in question. Working with Gary Levenstein and his team has been outstanding and a highlight of my professional career.’
‘The Nixon Peabody team provided expertise on the transaction and a key understanding of my firm’s size by focusing on key transaction issues that could harm the selling shareholders and less focus on more routine transactional matters. This helped us move quickly and keep our costs down. The team was excellent at collaboration and worked tirelessly no matter the day/time.’
‘The key partners on the team were excellent to work with and really focused on educating me, as the lead selling shareholder, on the transaction, areas I need to focus on, trade-offs, and strategy. I felt they put our needs first and worked each day to make sure the transaction got done in a reasonable manner. Gary Levenstein as the lead partner was fantastic and just a suberb advisor.’
Constellation Brands, Inc.
Refresco Beverages US Inc.
Northfield Medical, Inc.
Colony Display LLC
Health Catalyst, Inc.
- Represented Constellation Brands, Inc. in four significant transactions as part of CBI’s strategic business transformation efforts to focus on higher-end wine brands including an agreement to sell approximately 30 of its wine brands and related assets to E. & J. Gallo Winery for approximately $1.03bn.
- Represented Health Catalyst, Inc. (NASDAQ: HCAT) a leading provider of data and analytics technology and services to healthcare organizations in connection with their acquisition of Twistle, Inc. through a merger. Twistle, Inc., provides automated patient communication software, including personalized, step-by-step guidance to improve outcomes, safety and satisfaction, to healthcare organizations.
- Represented ThoughtWorks, a global software consultancy in connection with its acquisition of Gemini Solutions, Inc. a privately-held software development and consulting services firm.
Other key lawyers:
Brookhaven National Laboratories
CSX Transportation (Railroad)
- Serve as national counsel for pest control companies in chemical and health effects litigation.
- Represent Brookhaven National Laboratories in a contamination class action, where hundreds of plaintiffs were seeking property and personal injury damages related to alleged migration of various chemicals and other toxic material from the Lab. Successful in defeating class certification and narrowing the claims to property damage only.
- Advising a subsidiary of a Fortune 500 company in responding to a subpoena and developing a defense to claims of negligence, strict liability, and nuisance regarding a product liability MDL action pending in South Carolina concerning Aqueous Film-Forming Foam.
Other key lawyers:
- Represented Shutterfly/Lifetouch LLC and Lifetouch National School Studios in a lawsuit against its former employees and its competitor Walsworth Publishing 8 in Connecticut federal court alleging a conspiracy to misappropriate Lifetouch’s trade secret and confidential information.
- Represented 250ok, Inc. in a lawsuit against a former reseller and competitor alleging misappropriation of trade secrets under the Delaware Uniform Trade Secrets Act, breach of contract, and unjust enrichment, in connection with its development of a competing product.
- Representing Validity, Inc. and 250ok, Inc. in a lawsuit filed by a company from whom it licensed an email rendering engine to power a feature in its software product.
‘Jill Gordon and Alex Busto are great partners to us. They have a deep understanding of healthcare transactions and the regulatory landscape in California.’
‘Rebecca Simone is a Partner in the Healthcare practice. She is consistently available, thoughtful and adept at handling issues as they arise.’
New York Presbyterian Hospital
Providence St. Joseph Health
Affinity Dental Management
University of California Board of Regents
Cook County Health and Hospitals System
Kaiser Foundation Health Plan
Sentinel Capital Partners
LIFEPlan CCO NY, LLC
- Advised RIP Medical Debt on tax-exemption, contract negotiation, corporate governance, and health information privacy matters.
- Advising a large not-for-profit healthcare system in its ongoing affiliation discussions with a regional health care system.
- Representing a digital health company with a major pharmaceutical manufacturer to purchase and conduct rapid tests for COVID-19.
David Vicinanzo; Hannah Bornstein
Other key lawyers:
‘I found David Vicinanzo to be an extraordinarily talented lawyer with great skills.’
‘David Vicinanzo stood out because of his responsiveness, creativity, and high ethical standards.’
City of Boston
Phillips Exeter Academy
Diocese of Rockville Centre
Phillips Andover Academy
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Representing multiple individuals in the “Varsity Blues” DOJ prosecution.
- Represented National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) as amicus curiae in an appeal to the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court that raises questions concerning applicability of attorney-client privilege and work product doctrine to internal investigations.
- Represented MIT Professor Gang Chen, a high-profile professor and distinguished scientist, in relation to a DOJ counterintelligence investigation.
Jeffrey Brenner; Vernon Johnson
Other key lawyers:
‘NP is probably the most technologically advanced outside counsel we’ve come across. They utilize various cloud and file share systems to allow for seamless document transfer/archiving. It also allows for an efficient and timely work product.’
‘Anthony Barron, Mathew Richards, and Brooke Anderson are our representatives and they each have been fantastic. Our firm has used all three at initial negotiation level representation all the way through jury litigation.’
The Board of Trustees of the California State University
Biosar USA LLC
Toray Plastics (America), Inc.
Regents of the University of California
RA Nelson & Associates
NAG Investments, LLC and NJG Investments, LLC
- Represented Biosar America in an owner claim for over $60m after a six-week arbitration hearing.
- Represented Marathon Construction in multiple breach of contract lawsuits related to Essex Sports Center in Middleton, Massachusetts.
- Advising The Regents of the University of California and another university system in cases involving claims for breach of contract and negligence against contractors and manufacturers and suppliers of utility piping arising from the failure of underground utilities distribution piping systems at multiple campuses.
Nixon Peabody LLP > Firm Profile
At Nixon Peabody, we deliver sophisticated legal services to our clients and our communities by combining high performance, entrepreneurial spirit, deep engagement, and an unwavering commitment to a culture of collaboration, diversity, and humanity.
Main areas of practice
Litigation and dispute resolution: National, co-national, and regional counsel represent clients in federal and state courts, the US Supreme Court and US Courts of Appeals.
Health care: A cross-disciplinary team experienced in health care delivery, corporate organization, government programs, emerging payment programs, managed care models, and a vast array of other cutting-edge issues impacting health care clients.
Public finance: One of the most active US public finance practices, providing innovative counsel to clients in public works and infrastructure, including P3.
Real estate: A dynamic team assists clients nationally with financing, restructuring and workouts, acquisitions, dispositions, leasing and development, financing, foreign investment, joint ventures, and land use.
Business and finance: A growing group of corporate lawyers collaborating across multiple disciplines and geographies on financing municipal and infrastructure projects, M&A, IPOs, financing structures, long-term tax planning, and business strategies.
Intellectual property: Lawyers with strong technical backgrounds and insightful industry-specific business knowledge that strategically manage patent portfolios, advise fashion and entertainment clients on trends impacting brands, and vigorously defend IP rights.
|CEO and Managing Partner||Stephen D Zubiago|
|Chief Operating Officer||Lauri Walker|
|Department Head, Litigation||Anthony Barron|
|Department Head, Project Finance, Infrastructure & Real Estate||Michael J Goldman|
|Department Head, Business & Finance||Christopher P Keefe|
|Chief Talent Officer||Stacie B Collier|
|Director of Diversity and Inclusion||Rekha Chiruvolu|
|Management Committee, Strategic Impact Partner||Jill H Gordon|
|Management Committee, Strategic Impact Partner||Gregory N Doran|
Staff FiguresNumber of Partners : 286 Number of Other Fee-Earners : 275 Total Staff : 664
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - litigation and regulation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: toxic tort
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)