Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) > Bogota, Colombia > Firm Profile
Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) Offices
CALLE 67 NO. 7-35
Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) > The Legal 500 RankingsGómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) is widely revered for the breadth and depth of its offering, with clients commending its ‘deep knowledge‘ as well as its ‘excellent service‘. A preferred choice to advise local and international lenders on Colombian finance issues, the team also leverages its premier corporate relationships to shine in borrower-side mandates. Practice head Ricardo Fandiño is a go-to specialist in banking and finance and routinely assists major international banks, and other lenders and borrowers, on financings, capital markets and derivatives matters — both transactional and regulatory. Among his high-profile mandates, Fandiño led the firm’s representation of Avianca MidCo 2 (a subsidiary of Avianca Group International) on the local aspects of a $1.6bn exit financing, as part of Avianca Holdings’ reorganisation plan. José Luis Suárez is also sought after for his senior experience and recently acted as local counsel to Banco Santander and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation in a secured financing to Proyectos y Desarrollos Viales del Pacífico, as majority shareholder of Concesionaria Vial del Pacífico, to support the construction, operation and development of the 4G Conexión Pacífico 1 toll road project. Other key names at top level include Daniel Londoño, who specialises in advising local borrowers and domestic and multinational lenders on financings and securities matters, and Adriana Moreno, who is highlighted as ‘spectacular‘ by sources and is noted for her experience in banking, securities and funds. The department also fields an enviably deep bench of up-and-coming associates including Jimena González, who is developing a strong reputation for project finance work; Catalina Prieto, who maintains a broad corporate finance practice; the prolific Tonia Orozco; and Daniel Flórez.
‘The firm possesses deep knowledge and provides excellent service.‘
‘Adriana Moreno is spectacular.‘
JP Morgan Chase Bank
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Goldman Sachs Specialty Lending Group
Itaú Corpbanca Colombia
Concesionaria Vial del Pacífico
Fondo de Capital Privado Inmobiliario Salud Compartimento 1
Deetken Asset Management
- Acted as Colombian counsel to Avianca MidCo 2 (a subsidiary of Avianca Group International) on obtaining $1.6bn worth of financing, as part of Avianca Holdings’ plan to exit its Chapter 11 reorganisation.
- Advised JGDB Holdings, part of Grupo Gilinski, on the financing granted by First Abu Dhabi Bank for the acquisition of shares of Grupo Sura via an unsolicited tender offer.
- Advised NUGIL on a financing granted by First Abu Dhabi Bank for the acquisition of shares of Nutresa through an unsolicited tender offer.
Colombia > Capital markets Tier 1Lawyers at Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) are highlighted as ‘experts in capital markets, debt markets and corporate governance in Colombia'. Fielding one of the deepest benches in the market, the capital markets group possesses enviable experience in representing issuers, purchasers, subscribers and underwriters across the full spread of major domestic and cross-border transactions, where it frequently proposes ‘creative and disruptive solutions‘. Ricardo Fandiño, director of the practice, has a pioneering record in pathfinder deals and has a hand in many of the market’s marquee mandates; he recently acted as local counsel to the underwriters —Citigroup Global Markets, JP Morgan Securities, Santander Investment Securities and Scotia Capital (USA) — on Ecopetrol’s dual-tranche $2bn notes offering. Other senior names include high-profile firm managing partner José Luis Suárez, Daniel Londoño (‘one of the best financial and stock market attorneys in the market'), and Medellín office head Adriana Moreno. The group also leans on a sizeable band of talented senior associates, including Catalina Prieto Núñez, Tonia Orozco Araújo, Jimena González Alarcón and Daniel Flórez Linero.
‘In addition to being experts in capital markets, debt markets and corporate governance in Colombia, many of its lawyers have worked outside of Colombia, meaning it can offer a truly international understanding in cross-border transactions and bring original ideas to the process. The latter differentiates it from other law firms in Colombia.’
‘At all times we value lawyers’ attention, availability and excellent client service, particularly in transactions which require attention to detail and long hours, as well as short response times.’
‘A strong and coherent team, which is recognised in the market. Lawyers always demonstrate the best disposition.’
‘The team possesses very deep experience, displays dedication to the client and is committed to clarity in both technical and commercial processes.’
‘The team is of the highest professional and personal quality. Lawyers are always available to address client concerns and propose creative and disruptive solutions. GPA stands out from other firms due to the high quality and knowledge of its team members.’
‘Daniel Londoño, partner in the banking and finance team, is available 24/7 to assist us. His in-depth knowledge makes him one of the best financial and stock market attorneys in the market.’
Credit Suisse Securities (USA), JP Morgan Securities, SMBC Nikko Securities America
Emso Asset Management
Fondo de Capital Privado Cattleya – Compartimento 1
Citigroup Global Markets
Inter-American Investment Corporation (IDB Invest)
Wells Fargo Securities
Instituto Colombiano de Crédito Educativo y Estudios Técnicos en el Exterior ‘Mariano Ospina Pérez’ (ICETEX)
- Advised Nugil, a Colombian company owned by the Gilinski family, on its unsolicited tender offer for Grupo Nutresa.
- Advised JGDB Holding, a Colombian company owned by the Gilinski family, on its unsolicited tender offer for Grupo de Inversiones Suramericana.
- Represented Credit Suisse Securities (USA), JP Morgan Securities and SMBC Nikko Securities America, as underwriters, in AI Candelaria (Spain)’s $600m notes offering.
City focus > Medellín Tier 1‘An exceptional firm‘, national heavyweight Gómez-Pinzón Abogados is highlighted by sources for possessing ‘the experience and local and regional knowledge that is required‘. The firm’s capable Medellín offering is led by corporate finance partner Adriana Moreno Márquez , whose broad practice focus is the perfect fit for a lean eight-lawyer strong office; with experience in banking, finance and capital markets, corporate and M&A, and infrastructure, Moreno Márquez is equipped to advise on transactions across all key sectors throughout the region. The group is further supported by a sizeable band of Medellín-based associates, including experienced senior and IP specialist Catalina Arango and intermediate Antonio Elcure , who handles banking, finance and capital markets. Other active practice areas for the office include tax and customs, dispute resolution and project development. Additionally, the group is distinguished by its ability to lean on its Bogotá office for support on complex or large-scale matters. Associate María Clara Palacio left in December 2021 to become a senior manager at BDO Colombia.
‘Lawyers are extremely specialised. Clients seek this type of specialisation, especially when they are global companies that operate in different territories, and Gómez-Pinzón Abogados has the experience and local and regional knowledge that is required.’
‘An extraordinary team: professional, dedicated and close. Exceptional skills, supported by state-of-the-art technology platforms.’
‘Gómez-Pinzón is an interdisciplinary team, with legal excellence in multiple fields and excellent customer service. The firm is ready to deeply understand the client’s needs and seeks the best recommendation to safeguard its interests.‘
‘It is an exceptional firm, the results are excellent, its lawyers are of the highest level and it has specialised knowledge of each subject that we have required.‘
‘The firm’s response times are great! Regardless of the nature of the matter, or the simplicity of the query, lawyers are always willing to resolve doubts in the shortest possible time and give a timely response to doubts or advice.’
‘The service we received from GPA was prompt, practical, and accurate. The secret of its success is undoubtedly the brilliant human talent that joins its ranks, and the fact that M&A transactions receive the direct attention of partners and senior lawyers, which, unfortunately, is not as common as one would like in the national market.’
‘The firm’s team is of the highest professional and personal qualities. It is always available to address customer concerns and propose creative and disruptive solutions. It stands out from other firms due to the high quality and knowledge of its team members.’
‘The team in general is very professional, organised, well-led and fulfils the commitments acquired during the consulting or advisory relationship.’
Art Mode – Maaji Mas
Fondo de Capital Privado Inmobiliario / Grupo Pegasus Colombia Fondo I
- Acted for Vitol on the negotiation of the transaction documents and on the granting of a Colombian pesos credit facility to the successful bidders in a tendering process held by Trasmilenio.
- Advised Isagen on an indexed loan with Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation.
- Advised Inverfam on the matters required by Fondo Nacional de Garantías (FNG) for the granting a partial guarantee for a bonds issuance on the Colombian Second Market pursuant to the governmental programme, ‘Unidos por Colombia’.
Colombia > Corporate and M&A Tier 1‘A force in the market since its foundation‘, Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA)‘s corporate and M&A team stands out for its ‘prompt, practical and accurate‘ advice. A strong performer in infrastructure deals of late, the group also shines in transactions in the energy, technology and aviation sectors, among others. Lina Uribe García spearheads the practice and enjoys strong relationships with private equity clients, evidenced by a clutch of recent mandates in this field. Most notably, Uribe advised Acon Latam Management on its acquisitions of Glassfarma Tech, Avefarma and Panamerican Pharmaceutical Holdings (holding companies of Grupo Ave); she also paired up with talented up-and-coming star Natalia García Arenas to advise KKR on its $500m acquisition of Telefónica Colombia’s fibre optic assets. The team also benefits from seasoned specialist Patricia Arrázola, who possesses over three decades of transactional experience, with impressive records in the energy and natural resources spheres. Arrázola acted alongside Juan David Quintero to advise EnfraGen — jointly owned by Glenfarne Group and Partners Group — on the acquisition of natural gas-fired plant, Termovalle. Other recommended names are: dual-qualified (Colombia/New York) Ana Cristina Jaramillo , who joined in November 2021 from Merqueo, where she was LatAm general counsel; Felipe Mariño, who is noted for his ‘experience, knowledge, and most importantly, emotional intelligence‘; and 30-year veteran counsel María Fernanda Restrepo. Additionally, director María Isabel Romero de la Torre and senior lawyer Daniel Fajardo joined in 2021 (April and October respectively) from Holland & Knight. Capable support is provided by senior associates Paola Valderrama (corporate and M&A), who joined in October 2021 from Garrigues, Emanuela Guevara (corporate and M&A) and Juan Pablo Caicedo (corporate, M&A, infrastructure). Talented senior associate Natalia Villamizar is currently an international visiting attorney at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP.
‘GPA is one of the largest Colombian firms and it has been a force in the market since its foundation.’
‘The secret of its success is undoubtedly the brilliant human talent that joins its ranks, and the fact that M&A transactions receive the direct attention of its partners and senior lawyers, which, unfortunately, is not as common as one would like in the national market.‘
‘The advice we have received from GPA has been prompt, practical, and accurate.’
‘Partner Felipe Mariño demonstrates a mix of experience, knowledge, and most importantly, emotional intelligence. In addition, he has fun in transactions and is a trustworthy person.‘
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts
Acon Latam Management
Partners Telecom Colombia
Macquarie Capital (USA)
Enfragen Energia Sur
Didi Mobility Information Technology
CTG Colombia Holdings
Bell Flavors & Fragances Colombia
Jetblue Airways Corporation (sucursal Colombia)
Glenfarne Asset Company
Encore Capital Group
- Advised Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co (KKR) on the $500m acquisition of the fibre optic assets of Telefónica Colombia (Coltel) by a new entity incorporated in Colombia by KKR (Infraco), and the subsequent participation of KKR and Telefónica Colombia in another company (Infraco Holdco).
- Acted for Ashmore Group on the negotiation of a share purchase agreement regarding the sale of 100% of its participation in toll road concession company, Concesión Santa Marta Paraguachón, to BlackRock.
- Advised Ashmore Group on the sale of its participation in Termo Mechero Morro to the Colombian Infrastructure Equity Fund.
Colombia > Environment Tier 1Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) houses a comprehensive environmental law practice, which advises on the full spectrum of contentious and non-contentious matters from licensing and permitting, through to environmental liability, remediation processes and environmental punitive proceedings. While the practice sits as part of the firm’s wider energy and natural resources department, it supports clients from all industry sectors and is also involved in the environmental due diligence aspects of corporate transactions. Environmental law expert Lina Uribe is well versed across the full range of regulatory and judicial procedures, including the management and disposal of waste and hazardous substances and due diligence investigations. Uribe co-heads the practice together with energy and natural resources specialist Patricia Arrázola. Talented senior associate Lina Correa provides focused environmental law support.
Patricia Arrázola; Lina Uribe
Gases Industriales de Colombia
Hitachi Power Grids
Softys (CMPC Company)
Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation and World Wildlife Fund
Acciones y Valores
- Advising the World Wildlife Fund and the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation on agreements with the Colombia Government in relation to the Herencia Colombia programme, which aims to expand the National Protected Areas System.
- Acting for Acciones y Valores on the drafting of different agreements for the purchase of current and future carbon credits by its private investment fund for carbon projects aimed at reducing greenhouse emissions.
- Advising Pluspetrol Colombia on compliance with pending compensation obligations derived from its operation of three oil blocks in Colombia.
Colombia > Tax Tier 1Among Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA)'s key differentiators, sources praise the tax group’s ‘strong knowledge of the client’s business' as well as its ‘ability to provide an overview of regulations throughout the region'. The sizeable department grew to four partners in January 2022, following Carolina Bobillier's promotion to the partnership, and the breadth-and-depth of the practice is evidenced by a broad offering spanning tax planning, transactional tax structuring, transfer pricing and tax litigation. Mauricio Piñeros continues to head the group and is recognised for his adept handling of corporate and finance-related tax matters, foreign investment and tax litigation. Other senior names include tax litigation specialist Álvaro Andrés Díaz and tax consultancy and planning partner Ignacio Vélez. The ‘professional team' also draws upon senior associates Alejandro Sanabria, who focuses on international tax law and business structuring; and Alejandro Sotello, who sits in the tax and customs practice.
‘We highlight the team’s skills, extensive knowledge of taxes and ability to provide an overview of regulations throughout the region. It is a team with high seniority and experience in various industries.’
‘In comparison to other offices, GPA is very specific in its opinions; this is achieved because it takes time to understand the business before giving advice.’
‘GPA fields a professional team with extensive experience, not only in private practice but also in other roles such as tax director, which helps the team to understand the specific needs of clients.’
‘The team’s ‘plus’ is that its lawyers’ experience is not exclusively in signing; it helps that they understand the management details and how plans should be executed. Strong knowledge of the client’s business, customer service and availability.’
Fondo De Capital Privado Nuevo Mundo – Compartimento 1
Greenyellow Energía De Colombia
Alvarez & Marsal / HH Global Colombia
Cosco Shipping Lines Colombia
Booking Com International
Aerovias Del Continente Americano (Avianca)
Productora De Alimentos Concentrados Para Animales Contegral
Partners Telecom Colombia
- Advised Fondo De Capital Privado Nuevo Mundo – Compartimento 1 on tax structuring concerning the $127m sale of Centro Comercial Calima to Mall Plaza.
- Advised Greenyellow Energía de Colombia on tax planning and structuring matters concerning the acquisition of Termonorte, a Colombian renewable energy source RES project SPV.
- Provided tax advisory to Alvarez & Marsal in relation to structuring the reorganisation of the investments of HH Global in Colombia.
VIP Green Mobility
The Middleby Corporation
Guangdong Galanz Household Appliances Manufacturing Co (Galanz Appliances)
Gases de Occidente
Skadden, Arps Slate, Meagher & Flom
- Advised KKR before the SIC on obtaining clearance for the acquisition of a 60% controlling stake in ColTel’s existing fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) network to create a joint venture between KKR and ColTel.
- Advised HP on the Colombian aspects of its acquisition of HyperX, the gaming division of Kingston Technology Corporation.
- Acted for VIP Green Mobility on the merger control aspects of its acquisition from Celsia Colombia of 100% of its shares in Celsia Move.
William Araque; David Ricardo Araque
‘Gómez Pinzón is an interdisciplinary team, with legal excellence in multiple fields and excellent client service. They are ready to deeply understand the client’s needs and seek the best recommendation to safeguard their interests.’
‘We appreciate the team’s total dedication and knowledge.’
‘The dispute resolution partner David Ricardo Araque is in charge of the client: he tends to legal and administrative requirements, attend meetings, provides legal advice and actively leads the lawyers.’
‘The team stands out for its deep knowledge and availability.’
‘Loredana De Trizio is an excellent professional, especially in the contentious-administrative branch. She cares deeply about understanding the issues and seeking solutions that favour the client’s interests.’
Energía para el Amazonas (ENAM)
Enel green power
Arista de Colombia
Grupo Patria Re (Mexico)
Refinería de Cartagena
Forestal Monterrey Colombia
Procesadora de Cales – Carmeuse Lime Stone (US)
Agrupación Guinovart Obras y Servicios Hispania (Spain)
MGM Ingeniería y Proyectos
- Acted for Cine Colombia on a $5m arbitration against Construcciones Planificadas related to a lease agreement on a major area of El Edén Centro Comercial.
- Advised Enel Green Power, as claimant, on a $9m arbitration against Quanta Services, connected to a contract for the construction of a 200 MW wind farm.
- Advised Generadora y Comercializadora de Energia del Caribe (GECELCA) on initiating arbitration -under the rules of the Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce of Barranquilla- against Termobarranquilla.
William Araque; David Araque
‘It is an exceptional firm, the results are excellent, its lawyers are of the highest level and it has specialised knowledge of each subject that we require. The response is immediate to each requirement.’
‘The GPA litigation team is highly committed to the client: it cares about listening carefully, understanding the clients’ interests and designing the legal strategies that best suit them.’
‘I think it is one of the few teams in Colombia that understands arbitration and judicial dynamics very well; this allows you to better integrate your practice and be more effective. It is a young team, willing to take reasonable risks, and with a lot of creativity.’
‘Strengths: clarity of information, understanding of the sector, specialisation and diversity in terms of the team. (Right now they are approximately 50% women and 50% men, from different regions of the country and from different universities other than the traditional ones.)’
‘Lawyers are available to attend to our urgent issues, demonstrate simple language when they relate to the commercial team and have a high level of technical knowledge, which they put at the service of our company. They quickly build a relationship of trust and are allies of our business in dispute prevention.’
‘David Araque is a very solid lawyer, has knowledge of our industry and a strong common sense that, combined with his legal knowledge, offers us the best advice. He is a methodical and analytical lawyer who understands the needs of our legal department.’
‘Partner David Araque, being a lawyer and engineer, has a very complete profile for litigation related to construction and infrastructure. Samuel Hernandez-Lizarazu (senior Associate) has in-depth knowledge of Colombian substantive law, which he combines with his excellent skills in procedural law.’
‘Loredana de Trizio, the senior associate in charge of public law issues, is a rising star, determined, creative and always concerned with understanding what the client wants.’
Schematrentasette (Benetton Group)
Huawei Technologies Colombia
- Representing Carcaice in a cassation appeal before the Supreme Court of Justice in connection with a dispute against the Pacheco Family regarding a breach of a commercial lease contract.
- Acting for OHL Colombia against Géminis Consultores Ambientales on a cassation appeal before the Supreme Court of Justice.
- Acting for Bioenergy against Fabio Fonseca on an appeal related to administrators’ liability.
‘Exceptional. The team is always very willing to solve the client’s needs in a timely manner. Provides constant support in the company’s business. Provides confidence in investment decisions to the Board to successfully carry out and conclude business in Colombia. Very good organisation, rigour and quality in the services provided by the team.’
‘The firm, specifically Patricia Arrázola, has supported us since the company’s creation more than 20 years ago. The interdisciplinary team attends to, and resolves, our queries effectively.‘
‘Lawyers have a lot of experience and knowledge in the area of energy and natural resources, which conveys confidence to the decision committee. We also value their willingness to work together with the company team as well as their availability to attend to urgent matters at any time.’
‘The group’s response times are great! Regardless of the nature of the matter, or the simplicity of the query, lawyers are always willing to resolve doubts in the shortest possible time and provide a timely response.’
‘Patricia Arrázola, more than our head lawyer, is an ally who knows the company, who goes far beyond simple advice since she understands our practical day-to-day needs and manages to land the regulations and other legal issues to the practicality of business dynamics.‘
‘Patricia Arrázola and José Luís Palacios make this group unique. Both are extremely pragmatic lawyers who, although they understand the regulation in detail, are always looking for practical answers to raised questions. In addition, they understand the business, therefore their advice and support are not limited only to matters in their area of practice.’
Carlyle / SierraCol Arauca Energy
CTG Colombia Holding
Actividades de Instalaciones y Servicios Cobra
Enfragen / Glenfarne
- Acted for Colibri Energy on the structuring of an energy project through which the company will provide renewable self-generated energy to all beer production plants owned by Bavaria.
- Advised Petropolar, part of Russia’s IGS Group, on all matters related to the landing of IGS in Colombia.
- Advised Frontera Energy on the due diligence and transaction documents connected to its acquisition of Petróleos Sudamericanos.
‘A team of extremely proactive professionals', Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA)'s practice ‘seeks to be at the forefront of IP issues', according to sources. Widely recognised as a prolific filer of trade mark and patent applications, the multidisciplinary group’s focus spans a broad range of contentious and non-contentious IP — with its ability to lean on the wider full-service firm standing as a key asset in complex or multi-layered matters. Department head Mauricio Jaramillo has over two decades of experience in advising on trade marks, patents, copyrights and franchises, including litigation. Juanita Pérez specialises in domestic and regional IP protection strategies and IP portfolio management. Senior associate Catalina Arango is also noted for her involvement in contentious and non-contentious matters.
‘The firm is noted for the quality of its professionals, both personally and professionally.’
‘A team of extremely proactive professionals, available at all times and providing effective solutions. A firm that seeks to be at the forefront of IP issues.’
Fundación Valle del Lili
The Walt Disney Company
AB InBev (Bavaria)
Helm Banca de Inversión
Tequilas El Mexicano
Valentus Inc (sucursal Colombia)
Mazda de Colombia
Gas Propano de Colombia Esp
Sierracol Energy Condor
Sancho Bbdo Worldwide
Talma Servicios Aeroportuarios
Jafer Enterprises R&D
Banco de la Republica
- Advised Almacenes Éxito on securing the trade mark “PROMONLINE ÉXITO” (mixed), which was previously denied based on the already registered trademark “PROMOLINE”.
- Designed the defence strategy for DiDi’s companies in Colombia and abroad, in relation to an unfair competition action with a request for precautionary measures, initiated by Comunicación Tech y Transporte on behalf of the taxi drivers’ union.
- Advised Jho Intellectual Property Holdings on initiating trade mark infringement and unfair competition actions.
Colombia > Life sciences Tier 2Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) houses a robust regulatory affairs practice, which specialises in advising on regulatory filings with authorities, health legislation, drug pricing strategy and other regulatory and compliance matters. The firm also routinely advises its impressive roster of life sciences clients on patent matters. IP and competition law specialist Mauricio Jaramillo co-heads the department alongside senior associate Andrea Pieschacón, whose practice focuses on healthcare, regulatory issues and IP.
Mauricio Jaramillo; Andrea Pieschacón
Procesadora Nacional de Cereales (Pronalce)
Drypers Andina (Softys)
Beijing Hanmi Pharmaceutical
María Fernanda Escobar Vidarte MD and Juan Pedro Kusanovic Pivcevic MD
Fundación Valle Del Lili
Mercado Libre Colombia
- Advised Drypers Andina (Softys) on regulatory matters relating to the company’s entire portfolio in Colombia.
- Advised María Fernanda Escobar Vidarte MD and Juan Pedro Kusanovic Pivcevic MD on achieving the granting of a patent application for a medical device that consists of a haemostatic balloon for the control of haemorrhages or bleeding in the uterine cavity.
- Advised Seipel Group on the granting of a patent application related to a treatment method for improving sleep and social interaction and consisting of the administration of a composition, something not patentable in Colombia.
Colombia > Projects Tier 2Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) houses a broad projects practice, which brings together strong skill sets in finance, public law, energy and corporate matters. The group regularly advises multinational banks, funds and corporations on projects, and also acts for leading domestic and regional players. Paola Larrahondo, who was promoted to partner in January 2022, co-heads the department; she recently led the firm’s advice to road concessionaire, Concesión Santa Marta Paraguachón, on negotiations with the National Agency of Infrastructure regarding compensation claims resulting from the impact of Covid-19 and the measures taken by the National Government to contain the pandemic. José Luis Suárez, noted for his finance expertise, co-heads the team. Other experienced contacts include Ricardo Fandiño and Felipe Mariño, who specialise in banking and finance, and real estate transactions respectively. Senior associate Juan Antonio Ucrós is also recommended for his emphasis on administrative law and infrastructure matters.
José Luis Suárez; Paola Larrahondo
Concesión Santa Marta Paraguachón
Itaú Corpbanca Colombia
Deetken Asset Management
Cal y Mayor and Jajomar
Corporación Andina de Fomento (CAF)
VIP Green Mobility
- Advised VIP Green Mobility on its incursion into the Latin American sustainable transport market, by means of the awarding of a concession in Bogotá for the provision of 196 electric buses.
- Acted for Deetken Asset Management on the financing of the Bayunca I solar photovoltaic plant located in Bayunca, Cartagena.
- Advised Fondo Ashmore Andino II on the sale of 100% of the shareholding of the concessionaire in charge of the main toll roads of the north of Colombia.
Colombia > Real estate Tier 2Combining strong skill sets in development, transactional and contentious real estate, Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) houses a full-service practice that packs a punch in urban development matters. It is also distinguished by its ability to work alongside its top-tier corporate, environmental and finance teams to comprehensively resource large-scale real estate mandates. Paula Samper Salazar is recommended for her broad experience spanning real estate investment funds, project development and transactions; she co-heads the team alongside Felipe Mariño, who specialises in transactional work. Experienced senior associate María Camila Parra has an emphasis on regulatory issues and real estate development plans.
Paula Samper Salazar; Felipe Mariño
World Olivet Assembly
Colinsa Real Estate
Procter & Gamble Colombia
Almacenes Generales De Deposito Almaviva
Titularizadora Colombiana, Hitos
Black Horse Developments
Fundación Colombiana De Rehabilitación
Fundación Oftamológica Nacional
Sura Im Gestora De Iversiones
Fondo De Inversión Colectiva Inmobilairio (Inmoval)
Mobiliare Latam (Odema Capital)
- Advised Colinsa Real Estate on the due diligence, structuring, negotiation and drafting of all legal documents for the acquisition of the ownership of a colonial house.
- Acted as legal counsel to Mercado Libre Colombia in the due diligence procedure and negotiation of a lease agreement to secure a strategic logistics location in the municipality of Yumbo.
- Advised Almacenes Generales De Deposito Almaviva on the implementation of legal urban actions that allow the development of real estate projects and the operation of the company.
Colombia > TMT Tier 2Lawyers in Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA)'s TMT group are valued by sources for their ability to ‘anticipate and mitigate negative results'. The practice draws on strong regulatory lawyers who bring to bear experience in media, internet and new technologies, with notable expertise in data protection, contracts and regulatory affairs. Practice director Andrés Fernández De Castro leads the group and specialises in telecoms, data protection and technology. Other key contacts include IP, competition and TMT partner Mauricio Jaramillo Campuzano; and TMT-focused associate Andrés Meza.
Mauricio Jaramillo Campuzano; Andrés Fernández de Castro
‘The team in general is very professional, organised, well-led and fulfils the commitments required during the consulting or advisory relationship.’
‘The lawyers and associates of the Gómez-Pinzón firm stay close to the client, offer alternatives and, in our case, have identified “red flags” that have allowed us to anticipate and mitigate negative results.’
Didi Chuxing Technology / DiDi Mobility Information Technology
Carvajal Soluciones de Comunicación
The Walt Disney Company
Sumitomo Banking Corporation
Industria Colombiana de Llantas (Icollantas) / Michelin
- Advised Anheuser-Busch InBev on IT matters in relation to the launching of its fintech project in the region, including negotiating contracts with financial partners and launching platforms/apps in Colombia.
- Advised Honeywell international on regulatory obligations concerning the provision of telecoms services in Colombia and also advised on compliance with data protection regulation.
- Advised the The Walt Disney Company on carrying out various productions, including ‘A Tus Pies’ and ‘Siempre Fui Yo’.
Nicolás Potdevin Stein
‘In my opinion, the most important ‘plus’ of Gomez Pinzón Abogados is that it is an interdisciplinary team that has lawyers specialised in different areas. For example, they have been our advisers on tax, customs, labour, foreign trade and corporate issues.’
‘I consider that customer service is one of the strengths of the firm. Lawyers care about understanding and acting according to the needs of the client. The knowledge and experience in the issues is also another strength that the firm demonstrates. We particularly highlight Nicolás Potdevin Stein for his client service.’
‘I consider all the lawyers I worked with to be full-fledged professionals with great experience in the issues we have dealt with. Additionally, they are always willing to help and provide good recommendations to prevent us from having future legal problems.’
Cenit Transporte y Logistica de Hidrocarburos
Hitachi Energy Colombia
Sociedad Portuaria Terminal De Contenedores De Buenaventura
Kuehne + Nagel
Depósito De Medicamentos Emes
Comercializadora Internacional de Llantas
Motul Iberica (sucursal Colombia)
Bavaria & Cia
- Advised Cenit Transporte y Logistica de Hidrocarburos on customs and free trade zone matters.
- Acted for Celsia Colombia on the structuring of an electric power purchase and sale operation in compliance with free trade regime rules.
- Advised Onelink regarding the free trade zone regime.
Colombia > Public law Tier 3The public law group at Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) finds favour for its ability to ‘make use of the other specialities of the firm to respond to cross-practice issues'. Co-led by managing partner José Luis Suárez, whose broad practice spans administrative and constitutional law, banking and finance, and infrastructure, the group advises on bidding processes, public procurement, concession agreements and administrative sanctioning issues. Paola Larrahondo, who was promoted to partner in January 2022, co-heads the group. Senior associate Juan Antonio Ucrós provides support on administrative law and infrastructure matters.
José Luis Suárez; Paola Larrahondo
‘We recommend the firm for its knowledge, experience and proactivity.’
‘An extraordinary team, which is professional, dedicated and close. Lawyers demonstrate exceptional skills, supported by state-of-the-art technology platforms.’
‘All the partners are very special; great human beings and outstanding professionals.’
‘This practice is very beneficial, since it has deep and practical knowledge about the issues that concern us. And the team knows how to make use of the other specialties of the firm to respond to cross-practice issues.’
‘The lawyer in charge of our contract has very relevant previous experience in public transportation in Bogotá, which makes him a very suitable person to co-ordinate our work. This lawyer is also in charge of training junior lawyers so that they understand the particularities of the business.’
Instituto Colombiano De Bienestar Familiar
Procter & Gamble Colombia
Olam Agro Colombia
Cámara De Comercio De Bogota
BT Latam Colombia
Banca De Inversion Bancolombia, Corporacion Financiera
Sierracol Energy Arauca
- Advised the Bogotá Chamber of Commerce on the initiative ‘Vaccination for Reactivation’, to meet the demand of private sector companies interested in the acquisition and application of vaccines against Covid-19 for the benefit of their employees and their family members.
- Advised the Colombian Institute for Family Welfare on risk management in public procurement contracts and the corresponding risks matrixes.
- Advised IGT on day-to-day matters concerning the execution of the Baloto concession agreement, including preparing legal opinions on regulatory matters.
Adriana Bueno Buitrago
‘Lawyers are extremely specialised and clients value this type of specialisation, especially when they are global companies that operate in different territories. Gomez-Pinzon has the experience and the local and regional knowledge required.’
‘Gomez-Pinzon’s team is highly qualified and accessible. Lawyers have a strong notion of teamwork and are deeply involved in the client’s affairs.’
‘The advice in general is good: comprehensive, fast and efficient.’
‘The team understands local requirements and how to transmit them to international investors.’
‘Professional and reliable are probably the words that best describe the firm. Adriana Bueno Buitrago is a top-level professional, she gets deeply involved in the client’s affairs and does not delegate responsibility for her analysis or follow-up, which clients appreciate.’
‘Adriana Bueno Buitrago is an excellent lawyer; very attentive to our questions, very practical and provides good solutions.’
‘Although this is an existing practice in Colombia, it has become a more in-demand practice. Adriana Bueno Buitrago, who leads the practice, is uniquely qualified and takes a very holistic approach.’
‘Associates Anguie Castro and Nathaly Acero provide the perfect support to the senior lawyer and to our company.’
IGT Foreign Holdings
Reckitt Benckiser Colombia
Mazda de Colombia
Innova Capital Partners (Goldman Sachs)
Eolos Energía/Vientos del Norte (EDPR)
- Advised IGT Colombia on the implementation of a compliance system.
- Advised VG Mobility Perdomo on the implementation of an anti-money laundering and transparency programme.
- Advised Partners Telecom Colombia on compliance with Colombia’s SAGRILAFT (System of Self-Control and Management of the Comprehensive Risk of Money Laundering, Financing of Terrorism, and Financing of Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction) regulation.
‘The team provides a comprehensive and personalised service.’
‘GPA’s team, particularly Mauricio Montealegre, provides a lot of security in the advice it gives us. It has a practical vision of labour law — very adjusted to the current labour reality — which allows us to navigate the uncertainty that exists in this area. The quality is exceptional.’
‘The team has a high knowledge of labour legislation and its practical application. Its knowledge translates seamlessly into hiring realities for digital native companies with specific needs related to their industry.’
‘The team leader, Mauricio Montealegre, has exceptional knowledge and constant availability to solve the issues that arise.’
‘A strong group in handling the cases that we present, and it aligns its resolution with the company’s culture. The team has extensive knowledge of labour and immigration law issues, which allows us to resolve cases and queries in a complete and appropriate manner. It is an inclusive and diverse team, mostly made up of women.’
‘The consultants maintain good relationships with the client: respectful and assertive. The availability of the lawyers is an added value, as it facilitates communication with the people on the team.’
‘We highlight the management of Maria Angelica Pulido, her professionalism and the quality of her work.’
IGT Foreign Holdings Corporation
Didi Mobility Information Technology
Cofco International Colombia
Lexmark International Trading Corporation
Metro De Bogotá
- Represented Chemonics in a labour claim initiated by a former employee seeking severance pay for unjust dismissal and moral damages.
- Advised Congelados Agricolas on collective bargaining matters.
- Advised KKR on due diligence and employment matters concerning Colombia Telecomunicaciones in relation to their establishment of a joint venture.
Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) > Firm Profile
Gómez-Pinzón is a law firm that provides multiple legal services in the different areas of the law to help clients make the best choice for their businesses.
In Gómez-Pinzón we interpret the law in a responsible and innovative manner, and always offer a reliable service with the highest quality of standards. Our team reflects this, and our experience confirms it.
As a multi-service law firm, we are recognized by clients and international publications as a leader in banking, finance and capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, and dispute resolution counsel, among other key practices in the local and international market.
Our cross-border capabilities and ability to combine multidisciplinary leading teams in these areas allows the firm to provide a comprehensive service according to the needs of our clients. The firm has recognized top-tier experts in corporate, antitrust, intellectual property, administrative, constitutional law and infrastructure, labor law and natural resources.
GPA is not only committed to excellence in service, but also to facilitating the needs of its clients by combining creativity with responsibility. The firm is proud of the unparalleled number of international transactions and disputes in which it has assisted local and international clients, but its main pride and added value come from the undisputed landmarks that the firm has set in arbitration and litigation, and ground breaking advice it has rendered on capital markets deals and corporate transaction structures.
The firm’s clients include the largest Colombian economic groups, companies and financial players that operate throughout the Americas, Latin America, US, European and Asia-based multinational companies, government organizations and state-owned entities. The firm also has multijurisdictional skills, with several lawyers trained at US and European universities and firms, and with capabilities in English, French, Spanish, German and Portuguese.
GPA is also member of the Affinitas Alliance, based in Latin America and composed of four leading law firms in each of the jurisdictions where they operate. The firms conforming the Affinitas Alliance are: Barros & Errázuriz in Chile, Mijares Angoitia, Cortés y Fuentes in Mexico, and Miranda & Amado in Peru.
The firm has a strong social commitment to the practice of law and has been repeatedly recognized as a pioneer and a leader of pro-bono practice in Latin America, as well as a supportive ally for the local entrepreneurs with GPA Impacta, a program to provide specialised legal counsel to promising start-ups in Colombia.
|Managing Partner||José Luis Suárezemail@example.com||57 1 3192900|
|Partner||Ricardo Fandiño De La Callefirstname.lastname@example.org||57 1 3192900|
|Partner||Andrés Hoyosemail@example.com||57 1 3192900|
|Partner||Patricia Arrázolafirstname.lastname@example.org||57 1 3192900|
|Partner||Paula Samperemail@example.com||57 1 3192900|
|Marketing Director||María Clara Alvaradofirstname.lastname@example.org||57 1 3192900|
|Mr David Araque||Partner.||View Profile|
|Mr William Araque Jaimes||Partner of the Firm and head of Dispute Resolution & Investment Protection…||View Profile|
|Mrs Patricia Arrázola Bustillo||Partner, head of the Energy & Natural Resources practice group, member of…||View Profile|
|Mr Álvaro Andrés Díaz Palacios||Partner.||View Profile|
|Mr Ricardo Fandiño De La Calle||Partner, head of the Banking, Finance & Capital Markets practice, and member…||View Profile|
|Mrs Natalia García Arenas||Partner.||View Profile|
|Mr Andrés Hoyos Ramírez||Partner, head of Corporate/M&A Practice Group and member of the Firm’s Executive…||View Profile|
|Mr Mauricio Jaramillo Campuzano||Partner, head of the Intellectual Property, Competition, Life Sciences, and Technology, Communications…||View Profile|
|Mrs Paola Larrahondo||Director of the Infraestructure and Administrative & Constitutional practice groups.||View Profile|
|Mr Daniel Londoño Pinzón||Partner, member of the Banking, Finance & Capital Markets, Corporate / Mergers…||View Profile|
|Mr Jose Luis Suárez||Managing Partner of the Firm, co-leads the Banking, Finance & Capital Markets…||View Profile|
|Mr Felipe Mariño Dueñas||Partner.||View Profile|
|Mr José Luis Palacios Verswyvel||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Juanita Pérez Botero||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Mauricio Piñeros Perdomo||Partner, head of the Tax & Customs practice area, member of the…||View Profile|
|Mr Nicolás Potdevin Stein||Director of the Customs area of the Tax & Customs practice group.||View Profile|
|Mr Juan David Quintero Sánchez||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Pablo Rabelly Mendoza||Partner of the Corporate/M&A practice.||View Profile|
|Mrs Paula Samper Salazar||Partner, head of the Real Estate practice and of the Pro Bono…||View Profile|
|Mrs Lina Uribe García||Partner, member of the Energy & Natural Resources and the Corporate/M&A practice…||View Profile|
|Mr Ignacio Vélez Vergara||Partner.||View Profile|
|Mrs Patricia Vergara Gómez||Director, head of the Labour practice.||View Profile|
|Mr Germán Villamil Pardo||Partner.||View Profile|
Staff FiguresTotal staff : 250
LanguagesEnglish (fluent) Spanish
OtherPartners : 20
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- City focus > Medellín
- Corporate and M&A
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Competition and antitrust
- Dispute resolution > Arbitration
- Dispute resolution > Litigation
- Energy and natural resources
- Intellectual property
- Life sciences
- Real estate