Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. > Washington, United States > Firm Profile
Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. Offices
800 17TH STREET, NW
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20006
Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. > The Legal 500 Rankings
Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing) Tier 2Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. advises on the international portfolios of a diverse global range of active trademark clients. The team is headed in Dallas by David Bell, who builds protection plans and trademark enforcement strategies for clients across the financial services, music, apparel, consumer products, restaurants and telecoms sectors. Supported by Jeffrey Becker, who has extensive brand management experience, and advertising and social media issues specialist Erin Hennessy in New York, the group’s comprehensive service extends to international trademark clearance and brand launches and prosecutions around the globe. In Dallas, Purvi Patel Albers handles tech and television and film clients and Tiffany Ferris, who brings expertise in brand promotion, was promoted to partner in January 2022.
‘Very friendly attorneys who are excellent at advising clients.’
‘Partner goes to great effort to provide top quality service and establish good relations.’
‘Purvi Albers, Tiffany Ferris – both amazing lawyers, who know our business, and tailor their practice to our needs. They are the best of the best.’
San Antonio Shoe Company
Halliburton Energy Services
Hachette Book Group
VP Racing Fuels
- Acting as primary trademark counsel for AT&T and representing the company for more than two decades in trademark prosecution and counseling as well as trademark litigation, TTAB oppositions and proceedings.
- Acting as primary outside trademark counsel to the Dallas Cowboys, handing trademark prosecution and clearance for the company.
- Acting as primary trademark counsel to oil field service company Halliburton, managing its trademark clearance, preparation and filing of new trademark applications, defense of oppositions before the Trademark Office. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and overall strategy.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have not come across another firm that has both the depth and breadth of expertise that Haynes and Boone has in the field of structured finance. It is invaluable to our business to have a go to firm that we can trust and rely on without a second thought.’
‘Alex Grishman, Matthew Frankle and Brian Sung are the cornerstones of this group. Each one of them has deep subject matter expertise, impeccable work ethic and a perfect combination of legal skills and business sense to get the work done that is need. I do not think that there is a better firm for this kind of work.’
Craig Stahl; Michael Mazzone
‘Subject matter expertise. Very practical. Know the business extremely well.’
Ovintiv USA (formerly: Newfield Exploration)
Oasis Petroleum North America
Mewbourne Oil Company
Shell Oil Company
Burlington Resources Oil & Gas Company
- Succcessfully represented Shell Oil Company in a five-week jury trial concerning environmental contamination claims; the plaintiffs claimed personal injury and property damage from an alleged neighbourhood cluster of asthma, lupus and autoimmune diseases.
- Representing Burlington Resources Oil & Gas Company in a putative class action alleging late royalty payments on thousands of leases in North Dakota.
- Representing Newfield Exploration Company (now Ovintiv USA) as lead counsel in two cases: the first, a putative class action alleging improper post-production royalty deductions on royalty payments now pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma; the second, a precedent-setting matter in which the State of North Dakota claims that it was underpaid royalties on state oil and gas leases in which a take-nothing judgment was secured against the State.
‘We had a huge issue with a payer source to Haynes Boone. They assembled the right team and built a case and worked with the payer to solve the issue . We appreciated their guidance and explanations of the legal issues involved. ‘
‘Honesty to tell you the legal options with the consequences of each in a way that was easy to make decisions. They were respected by the payer.’
Boy Scouts of America
Clinical Pathology and Sonic Healthcare USA
Curtis Park Group, LLC
Lundberg LLC and LDX Solutions
Lamacar, Inc. d/b/a Kelli’s Gift Shop Suppliers
Hertz Global Holdings, Inc.
Pioneer Natural Resources
Genesee & Wyoming Railroad Services, Inc. and Atlas Railroad Construction
Balfour Beatty Communities, LLC
TD Williamson, Inc.
Leslie Thorne; Ben Mesches
Other key lawyers:
Jason Jordan; Andrew Guthrie
‘The team is highly experienced in energy and one of the best I have ever encountered.’
‘The team at Haynes and Boone has a deep industry knowledge that comes from years of experience across the conventional power space. This experience spans financing, insolvency, regulatory, corporate and disputes practice areas and they draw on this experience in an integrated manner to provide insight and strategic solutions. They are unique because they are able to apply this skill-set in a client-focused way.’
Panda Power Funds
Papalote Creek II, LLC (this is a joint venture with RWE)
Southwest Power Pool, Inc.
South Texas Electric Cooperative, Inc. (STEC)
EDP Renewables North America, LLC
RWE Renewables Americas, LLC
- Representing Panda against ERCOT in a case of first impression with respect to Capacity, Demand and Reserves reports relied on for the financing of three gas-fired generating units.
- Represents multiple clients in relation to mass tort litigation arising out of Winter Storm Uri in Texas.
- Representing Ormat’s subsidiary Viridity Energy Solutions, a qualified scheduling entity (QSE), in commercial litigation arising out of ERCOT’s demand response programs.
Roger Kuan; Jason Novak; Benjamin Pelletier; Randy Peak
Other key lawyers:
‘I’ve enjoyed my time with Jason Novak. He is a caring, empathetic, and committed source of counsel. Jason brings in the right people for our needs at the right time. He is transparent with expectations and clear in direction.’
‘Michael Smith has displayed the same level of professionalism.’
Berkeley Lights, Inc.
- Represented TeneoBio, Inc. in connection with its acquisition by Amgen.
- Advised Volumetric in its sale to 3D Systems to help advance research in life science technology and 3D printing.
- Advising InterVenn Biosciences on ongoing patent portfolio management, prosecution, and counseling.
Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional Tier 5Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. counts domestic and multinational companies across the food and beverages, financial services, retail and energy sectors among its key roster of clients, and handles the executive compensation and employee benefits aspects of high-value acquisitions. From the firm’s Dallas office, Susan Wetzel leads the group and has experience in equity incentive benefit plans, while Chris Kang acts for financial institutions in ERISA-related matters. Houston-based Jesse Gelsomini focuses on tax-qualified pension, 401(k) and ESOP plans.
Texas Capital Bancshares, Inc.
Paycom Software, Inc.
Performance Food Group Company
Tuesday Morning Corporation
- Represented Arcosa in its acquisition of StonePoint Ultimate Holding, LLC and its affiliated entities from an affiliate of Sun Capital Partners.
- Represented CSW Industrials, Inc. in its acquisition of TruAire, Inc.
Other key lawyers:
Giorgio Bovenzi; Craig Unterberg; LeAnn Chen
‘The team has an outstanding grip on the market and has a deep knowledge on banking regulatory matters. They distinguishes themselves from their competitors by virtue of their client-oriented approach, in addition to being extremely technically strong and always on top of the latest regulatory developments in the market.’
‘Giorgio Bovenzi is an absolute star, with truly outstanding regulatory and industry knowledge. He is a very smart individual, and an excellent lawyer who can swiftly grasp and resolve any issue. Giorgio has a well-deserved, sterling reputation with regard to his broad knowledge and in-depth understanding of cross-border banking and financing transactions. I would also like to emphasize the hugely impressive talent for providing precise and detailed technical advice of Craig S. Unterberg, who stands out for his a profound understanding of fund financing matters. He is a real specialist in the field.’
‘Giorgio Bovenzi is a major asset. Not afraid to tackle the most complex issues head on.’
‘LeAnn Chen is the person I work with most often. She is flexible, demonstrates excellent depth of expertise in several different areas, and always responds in a timely manner. She does not hesitate to raise issues that might be relevant even when not asked specifically to address those issues. Her writing and editing skills are top-notch and she is a pleasure to work with.’
‘Haynes and Boone have throughout the years shown exceptional qualities when it comes to their financial services practice, including being thorough in their analysis and solution-oriented.’
‘Giorgio Bovenzi is highly talented in this field, provides prompt and detailed advice and has an extraordinary network of non-US law firms that can provide relevant advice for the large number of foreign markets in which we provide custody services to our customers. In most cases he is the sole attorney we rely upon.’
‘What makes the Financial services regulation of Haynes and Boone unique is in my view that they are at the forefront of advising financial institutions on how regulatory reform will impact their business. They combine regulatory experience with practical insights.’
‘Craig Unterberg and LeAnn Chen are true experts in their fields. They are responsive, they do a great job identifying issues and coming up with commercial solutions. They are also very knowledgeable on industry practice.’
Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. > Firm Profile
Haynes and Boone, LLP is an international corporate law firm with offices in Texas, New York, California, Charlotte, Chicago, Denver, Washington, D.C., London, Mexico City and Shanghai, providing a full spectrum of legal services in energy, technology, financial services and private equity. With 600 lawyers, Haynes and Boone is ranked among the largest US-based firms by The National Law Journal, The American Lawyer and The Lawyer. It was recognized for excellence in the BTI Consulting Group’s 2021 “A-Team” report, which identifies the law firms that in-house counsel commend for providing superior client service.
|Managing Partner||Taylor Wilsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||214.651.5615|
|Administrative Partner - Austin||Rob Laueremail@example.com||512.867.8505|
|Administrative Partner - Charlotte||Todd Cubbagefirstname.lastname@example.org||980.771.8250|
|Administrative Partner - Chicago||Laura Beth Milleremail@example.com||312.216.1625|
|Administrative Partner - Dallas||Tom Harrisfirstname.lastname@example.org||214.651.5630|
|Administrative Partner - Denver||Dan Maloneemail@example.com||303.382.6218|
|Administrative Partner - Fort Worth||Karen Precellafirstname.lastname@example.org||817.347.6620|
|Administrative Partner - Houston||Ricardo Garcia-Morenoemail@example.com||713.547.2208|
|Managing Partner - London||William Cecilfirstname.lastname@example.org||+44 (0)20 8734.2837|
|Administrative Partner - Mexico City||Edgar Kleeemail@example.com||+52.55.5249.1873|
|Administrative Partner - New York||Craig Unterbergfirstname.lastname@example.org||212.659.4987|
|Administrative Partner - Orange County||Greg Michelsonemail@example.com||949.202.3022|
|Administrative Partner - Palo Alto||Gary Edwardsfirstname.lastname@example.org||650.687.8842|
|Administrative Partner - Dallas-North||Dustin Johnsonemail@example.com||972.739.6969|
|Administrative Partner - San Antonio||Diana Liebmannfirstname.lastname@example.org||210.978.7418|
|Chief Representative and Administrative Partner, Shanghai Office||Liza Markemail@example.com||+86.21.6062.6183|
|Administrative Partner - The Woodlands||Craig Stahlfirstname.lastname@example.org||713.547.2304|
|Administrative Partner - Washington, D.C.||Phil Lookadooemail@example.com||202.654.4510|
|Administrative Partner - San Francisco||Brian Kwokfirstname.lastname@example.org||415.293.8901|
Staff FiguresPartners : 249 Other Lawyers : 341
LanguagesArabic Armenian Chinese (various dialects) Dutch Filipino French German Greek Hebrew Indian Gujarati Hindi Malayalam Urdu Indonesian Italian Japanese Korean Persian Portugese Romanian Russian Serbo-Croatian Spanish Thai Taiwanese Vietnamese
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Insurance: advice to policyholders
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: conventional power
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional