Yousaf Amanat & Associates > Islamabad, Pakistan > Firm Profile
Yousaf Amanat & Associates Offices
435 ST 01
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Notable Cases
- Client Testimonials
- Press Releases
- Legal Developments
Yousaf Amanat & Associates > The Legal 500 RankingsYousaf Amanat & Associates has a stellar reputation for its work on the full range of contentious and non-contentious labour and employment matters. It frequently advises mining and oil & gas companies in addition to donor agencies, telecom companies, banks and government agencies. Managing partner Yousaf Amanat is based in Islamabad, and Karachi-based Noman Zahid is another key figure and regularly acts for banks and shipping lines.
‘I have worked with Yousaf Amanat and I have found him to be empathetic and understanding of the actual scenario from the client’s perspective and therefore is able to offer appropriate solutions’.
‘A professional team with in-depth knowledge of the regional legal frameworks. They will go out of their way to help the clients to deliver beyond expectations. The support during the pandemic has been phenomenal and the flexibility in the dealings is appreciated. Yousaf Amanat understands the problem and then can provide an optimal solution. Very thorough in his working and appreciate his attention to detail’.
‘The team we worked with is quite experienced and professional at the same time. The knowledge and grip on the subject make them stand out from the rest of the companies. The individual currently dealing with us is cooperative with quick responsive behaviour. We have built trust over the period of time because of the honest and workable advice consistently regarding different matters we came across‘.
‘Dedicated and hardworking team which puts its best efforts to ensure that the client gets optimum results. Focused, honest and straightforward‘.
‘Extremely timely legal support and very knowledgeable of the local context and the sector. Yousaf has been wonderful to work with‘.
‘Flexibility, prompt response and easy to work with. Highly approachable‘.
‘I have referred three labour cases and all three of them were dismissed in our favour on the legal grounds without touching the merits, which shows the legal understanding that the firm has. I have worked with Yousuf Amanat and Noman Zahid and both of them are very sound lawyers‘.
Adva Comm UK
Agility International Logistics Singapore
E & Y UAE
HMD Global Oy (Nokia Phones)
China Railway Construction
Marriot International Hotel
Voluntary Services Overseas UK
- Advised Clifford Chance on the termination of employment of senior management at Citi Bank.
- Successfully handling for the Marriot International various employee related litigation and criminal complaints.
- Successfully represented HMD Global Oy in a labour related regulatory litigation.
Yousaf Amanat & Associates > Firm Profile
Employment Law and Tax: Also Ranked now in Chambers and Partners
[ WE JUST ADVISED APPLE ON DATA PROTECTION!]
[ The trusted partner for Blue Chip law firms and Companies]
THE ONLY EMPLOYMENT LAW/LITIGATION SPECIALIST FIRM IN PAKISTAN: WE HANDLE HIGH PROFILE EMPLOYMENT LITIGATION
We are the No 1 contact for GCs and law firms looking for advice in employment law in Pakistan: Clifford Chance, Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP, Greenberg Traurig LLP, Herbert Smith Freehills, Baker Mckenzie, Addleshaw Goddard, Apple, Gaming Innovation Group, China Three Gorges, Daily Motion, KPMG Legal, E & Y Law, PWC, HMD Global OY (Nokia Phones), Citi Group, ENI, Ericsson, Daily Motion, Telecure Technologies, Gaming Innovation Group, Field Fisher, Adva Com, Oxfam, Marriott International, SABIC, GIZ, GROHE, Ministry of Foreign Affairs Denmark, Hearst Corporation are just some of the organizations for whom we are the No 1 employment law firm for Pakistan.
We are part of an elite international European body of employment and HR lawyers
Offices: The firm maintains offices both in Islamabad and Karachi but represents clients in all major cities of Pakistan. We currently have a staff of 20 which spans the Islamabad and Karachi offices and includes two partners and 18 lawyers.
Team: The Firm is a one window operation for all employment matters from employment litigation specialist Mr. Yousaf Amanat in Islamabad & Noman Zahid in Karachi, employment tax specialists Sheraz Aslam and Sheikh Saif, to civil and criminal litigation specialists Shafique Dab and Syed Khawar (Supreme Court) respectively. Mr. Amanat is also known for his advice on Data Protection.
We have developed our data protection, tax, criminal litigation, civil litigation, finance and arbitration practice in order to cater better to our strength which is employment law. This is our vision and this is what sets us apart from our competition. In instructing us on employment matters, clients do not have to search for separate firms for criminal, tax, data protection, civil, finance and arbitration.
A lot of firms in Pakistan work in employment law however we are the only ones contacted specifically to handle sensitive high profile employment matters for clients based abroad. GCs and law firms trust us worldwide. We are known for our technical know how of employment law. Be it getting a matter: dismissed on applicability of a law to an organization, classification of the employee, the law of limitation, employers rely on us in getting them out of a sticky situation.
- Advised China Three Gorges on the inquiry of the Compliance Advisor Ombudsman of the World Bank for the Karot Power Project.
- Represented HMD Global OY (Nokia Phones) in an Appeal in the Labour Court Karachi when the Labour Court decided to summon the Chairman of the HMD Global OY (Nokia Phones) from the US.
- Presently representing ENI Spa Rome in a workman compensation litigation in Karachi which we hope to have dismissed on a technicality.
- Advised Karot Power Project on Trade Unions and handling of Illegal Strikes.
- Representing Telecure Technologies Inc US in a cyber crime complaint lodged with FIA.
- Represented Oxfam successfully in the main case and the resulting Appeal filed in Pakistan by a Country Director of Pakistani Origin for Oxfam’s Kenyan Program. The Country Director filed against the worldwide head of Oxfam.
- Handled the termination of the CEO of an international financial group with offices in Pakistan. The matter saw us constantly in conference sessions with GCs of the organization.
- Representing Telecure Technologies Inc US in a Civil Injunction before the Lahore Civil Courts.
- Presently handling the employment/criminal complaint filed by approximately 900 employees of Marriott International and Pearl Continent Hotels in Pakistan against their alleged wrongful termination during covid-19.
- Representing Marriott International in the bail before arrest, police investigation and court trial of employees.
- Represented HMD Global OY (Nokia Phones) in a complaint under Employment Law for registering of workplace.
- Represented the employees of an international hotel chain successfully in a sexual harassment claim.
- Advised China Railway and Construction on its proposed 2,000 strong employee workforce for a project.
- The firm in July 2020 became part of a large consortium of employment law firms that are advising ABB/Hitachi. In July 2020, ABB divested its Power Grid division to Hitachi. The law firm of Elmzell Advokatbyra AB Sweden is the instructing firm in this matter. The consortium which is predominantly European has around 40 law firms and also includes names such as Tamimi & Co., Lewis Silkin and the Chinese firm Fang Law.
Whistle blowing investigation: In a recent assignment which the firm undertook for ENI Spa Rome, the firm was tasked with investigating a whistle blowing allegation regarding corruption and workman compensation. The firm investigated the matter, conducted interviews of employees and examined the matter under purview of applicable laws on whistle blowing, anti-corruption and workman compensation. The firm treated the matter as a potential litigation threat for the company and advised the company on per-litigation protocols.
ILO and the World Bank: The Firm has recently taken on work which involves advising clients specially Chinese companies working in the energy sector in Pakistan on compliance with the Labour Standards set by the ILO and the Compliance Advisor Ombudsperson. A lot of the Projects are financed by the IFC and the World Bank hence mandatory compliance of labour standards to the ILO and World Bank standards is important.
Data protection: We consider data protection law to be the future of law. With covid-19 we foresee that more and more emphasis worldwide will be placed on data protection. We are presently engaged in assisting Addleshaw Goddard in advising an identity monitoring service provider on the aspects of data protection found within the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act 2016 and the Electronic Transactions Ordinance 2002.
Covid-19: Covid-19 has predominantly had a lot to do with the workplace, be it restructuring or remote working. We have been busy from March 2020 with GCs contacting us from aboard for advice on employment law in the covid-19 scenario.
- We advised Agility Logistics Singapore on employment law regulations during the covid-19 period in Pakistan.
- We are presently representing Marriott International and Pearl continental Hotels in an employment/criminal complaint regarding terminating workers during the covid-19 period.
- We rendered advice to E & Y law on the termination of employment contracts for over seas workers during covid-19 in Pakistan.
Development in Pakistan on employment law:
- Pakistan enacted its federal law on employment for persons with disabilities. The law is quite comprehensive and has added to the provincial laws on the same. The law fixes specific quotas for hiring of persons with disabilities and sets out the terms and conditions for their employment and termination as well as redundancy.
- A draft law on data protection made the headlines back in August but the same has not been enacted as yet. We may very well see the law being enacted soon. A data protection law will require major overhaul in compliance for companies.
- A draft law for maternity leaves too is in the process.
Employment related practices: For us employment law isn’t just going to court and getting employee claims dismissed. That is what employment law is looked at as in Pakistan. We’ve gone one step further and made employment law our specialization. We advise and work with international clients in the following areas of employment law:
- Government compliance
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Background checks
- Business restructuring with a particular focus on work force
- Corporate compliance and ethics
- Discrimination and harassment
- Employee benefits
- Sexual harassment
- Employment practice audits
- Employment taxes
- Executive compensation
- Global mobility
- Hiring, performance management and termination
- Labour management relations
- Policies procedures and handbooks
- Litigation and trials
- Data protection
- Union activism
Criminal civil law litigation: The firm specializes in high end civil litigation both in Karachi and Islamabad. In Islamabad, Mr Yousaf Amanat and Mr Sahfiq Dab are known for their expertise in handling litigation matters whereas in Karachi Mr Noman Zahid is known for his successful conclusion to cases both at the District level and the High Court. Employment matters are complex in the sense that the statute governing majority of them also allows criminal courts at the Magistrate level to preside over them. The firm would be handicapped thus if we did not have resources in criminal law. Mr Khawar Shah who is a senior associate with the firm’s Islamabad office and is an advocate of the Supreme Court of Pakistan handles matters related to bail and white-collar crimes. The firm has also thus rendered advice on issues such as money laundering law and sexual harassment law.
The firm specializes in advising international clients on the legal requirements for their operations in Pakistan. We also offer services allied with the field of law such as advice on tax, government relations and handling matters with various government agencies. We have a specialized team for working on tax and matters related to government agencies.
- We specialize in handling matters related to labour unions. We negotiated a golden handshake with the 300 strong labour union for TCC which enabled the company to close up its camp site before exiting Pakistan.
- We have advised MoL Pakistan Oil and Gas B.V with regard to their labour union.
- The firm has been engaged by CGGC the main CPEC contractor to advise on their dealings with their union.
Other practices: International client’s reliance on the firm has over the years grown for matters regarding their dealings with the government in Pakistan both at the federal and the provincial level. Our advice on such matters includes various sensitive issues which the firm prides itself in handling confidentially for its clients.
The Karachi office of the firm apart from employment law, specializes in Admiralty law and banking law. The Karachi office acts for a number of regional banks and shipping lines.
Mr Amanat holds a distinction in postgraduate in commercial law from the UK and is also affiliated with various universities as a visiting faculty member. Mr Amanat also acts as an arbitrator and undertakes research assignments in various fields of law.
The firm has lately started taking up advisory and contentious work in tax matters. The firm is representing various power projects in tax matters.
The firm also advises clients on regulatory issues matters pertaining to the SECP and customs authorities. Recently the firm has provided advice to SABIC Saudi Arabia on matters pertaining to SECP and the customs authorities.
Staff FiguresPartners : 02 Associate Lawyers : 18 Government Relations : 01 Manager Taxation : 01 IT : 01 Finance : 01
LanguagesEnglish (fluent) Urdu Punjabi Sindhi
MembershipsIBA (International Bar Association)
- The Firm in July 2020 became part of a large consortium of Employment Law Firms that are advising ABB/Hitachi. In July 2020, ABB divested its Power Grid division to Hitachi. The Law Firm of Elmzell Advokatbyra AB Sweden is the instructing Firm in this matter. The consortium which is predominantly European has around 40 law firms and also includes names such as Tamimi & Co., Lewis Silkin and the Chinese Firm Fang Law.
- The Firm in an ongoing matter has been advising Clifford Chance UK on a highly sensitive employment matter in Pakistan since November 2019. The matter along with employment law has also seen us advising Clifford Chance on Data Protection law, the regulations of State Bank of Pakistan and provisions of the Electronic Transactions Ordinance.
- This year also saw us rendering advice to Herbert Smith Freehills LLP on the law regarding employment for persons with disabilities in Pakistan.
- In September 2020, the Firm was referred to by the Danish employment law specialist firm of Norrbom Vinding referred a matter for the Embassy of Denmark in Islamabad.
- November 2020 we became part of another consortium of European law firms when the Italian Firm of Toffoletto De Luca Tamajo e Soci asked us to review and update the HR Policy Manual pertaining to a client of theirs having offices in different parts of the world including Pakistan.
- The firm became a part of the PWC group in rendering advise to a social sector organization based in Pakistan. The advice is specific to employment law and review of the organizations HR Manual.
- For some time now the Firm has been advising CGIAR organizations on matters regarding employment law and taxes in Pakistan. CGIAR is a global partnership that unites international organizations engaged in research about food security. CGIAR research aims to reduce rural poverty, increase food security, improve human health and nutrition, and sustainable management of natural resources.
- The Firm recently rendered advise to Tetra Tech International USA on an employment law matter for Coffey International in Pakistan. The instructions for the matter were coordinated through the GC of the organization.
- The Firm provided legal assistance in Pakistan to Sagardoy Abagados in advising Everis Spain.
- The Firm also recently advised Grohe on the termination of a senior management personnel for Pakistan.
- The Firm advised the Hearst Corporation New York on an employment and tax matter for Pakistan.
- The Firm advised SABIC Saudi Arabia on a Customs and Company Law matter for Pakistan.
Covid-19 & Employment Law:
Starting from March 2020 the Firm has had a lot of queries on employment law in the back drop of Covid-19 in Pakistan.
- The Firm rendered advice to EY Law Dubai with regard to employment matters in the backdrop of Covid-19 in Pakistan. The client was an oil & gas company with offices in Pakistan.
- The Firm advised Agility Logistics Singapore on the restrictions with regard to terminations in employment in Pakistan during Covid-19.
- The Firm specialises in Data Protection matters. The Firm recently advised the law Firm of Addleshaw Goddard on Data Protection.
- The Firm has advised GIZ on Data Protection.
- The Firm has advised Oxfam International on Data Protection Law.
- The Firm has advised Ericsson on Data Protection Law.
Cross Border Litigations:
- During 2018 the firm acted for Oxfam International in an employment litigation involving the jurisdictions of UK, Kenya and Pakistan. The matter was a highly sensitive matter which saw us constant contact with the GCs and HR directors based in UK and Kenya.
- During 2018-2019 the Firm also acted for HMD Global Oy (Nokia Phones) in an employment complaint before the Labour Court in Sindh.
- The Firm has presently been engaged by ENI Italy in a workman compensation claim.
Whistle Blowing Employee Investigations:
- The Firm recently handled a whistle blowing investigation for ENI Italy. As part of the investigation the firm was tasked with interviewing employees, examining the site and correspondence.
Alternative Legal Service Providers:
- The Firm advised KPMG Legal Germany in a cross border employment and immigration matter which involved developing employment contracts for employees for work in Germany.
- The Firm was part of an international PWC consortium for advising a multinational company on Employment Law.
- The Firm advised E & Y UAE in a merger and acquisition matter in Pakistan.
The firm prioritises the professional growth of students. Last year Mr. Amanat organized a variety of workshops by the International Finance Corporation on the issue of Corporate Governance at universities in Islamabad. These workshops provided an opportunity for students to understand the growing diversity which the sector of Corporate Governance is undergoing at international level. Mr. Shafiq Dab and Mr. Amanat also organised a seminar on Intellectual Property at the International Islamic University in Islamabad. The event was attended by various lawyers and also brand companies. The event enabled students to learn first-hand the importance of Intellectual Property both in Pakistan and abroad. Mr. Khawar Shah who teaches Criminal Law at the International Islamic University in Islamabad goes out of his way to show students the practical side of trial law.
Mr. Amanat regularly contributes to newspapers on issues on politics, social issues and legal developments. Mr. Amanat has penned articles on the need for stricter legislation regarding smoking, rights of teachers within the ambit of Employment Law in Pakistan, the vacuum of data protection law in Pakistan, the legalities surrounding sexual harassment law in Pakistan, the alternative venues for justice such as the Office of the Ombudsman.
The Firm also dedicates a substantial portion of its time to pro bono cases both in Islamabad and Karachi. Mr. Noman Zahid in Karachi has set up a primary level school for street children. He contributes both financially to this school as well as spends a quality portion of his time in personally nurturing children towards personal growth and education. Mr. Noman Zahid also teaches law at the post grad level t various universities in Karachi.
Since the Firm works with various charitable organizations in Pakistan, we also aid the advocacy portions of the programmes of these organizations. The firm aids these organisations on advocacy programmes for children and women rights. Often the Firm also has its members organise and attend free legal clinics for these programmes.
Mr. Yousaf Amanat and Mr. Noman Zahid are often invited as panellists and guest speakers on various seminars and workshops on law. At such seminars and workshops, we participate on a pro bono basis with the singular understanding that the organisers of the events will allow university students taught by us to attend the seminars free of cost. We are proud of the fact that this has tremendously added to the growth and learning of our students.
The Firm represents various multinationals and national companies in litigations regrading employment matters. The Firm is noted for having matters dismissed at a preliminary stage on technical grounds thereby preventing any unwanted exposure that clients may suffer from a pro longed litigation. Some of our recent noteworthy matters are mentioned below in various cities in Pakistan.
On 24.04.2019 the Sindh Labour Court in Karachi dismissed a complaint that had been filed against one of our clients who are the leading producers of cell phones internationally. The complaint was regarding the registration of the Client in respect of a legalisation of the Employment Law in Pakistan. We had argued against the applicability of the law to the Client. Whereas the complaint was dismissed however the judge on his own accord showed his intention in pursuing a criminal complaint against the Chairman of the Client domiciled in USA. The Firm was success full in filing a revision application in respect of the earlier judgement only to the extent that the matter does not proceed against the Chairman of the Group. On 27.05.2019 the Firm was able to successfully demonstrate on technical grounds to the learned Appellate Court that the Chairman of the group did not fall within the definition of Employer as provided within the law thereby paving the way for the quashing of the criminal proceedings.
On 15.07.2018 an application was filed in a civil court in Islamabad by the Country Head of an African Country of Oxfam International against the Word wide Head of Oxfam International challenging his removal from service. The Firm was successfully able to have the stay application dismissed citing grounds against territorial jurisdiction and more importantly the technical fact that an employment matter cannot be agitated in a civil court in Pakistan. On 20.08.2018, the stay application by the Petitioner was turned down and the matter was awarded in favour of Oxfam International. The matter was challenged in Appeal by the Petitioner which too on 10.10.2018 was decided against the Petitioner.
On 10.01.2018 a civil suit was filed by an employee against MoL Pakistan Oil and Gas B.V in Peshawar KPK. The employee challenged his termination from the organization. Acting for MoL Pakistan we filed an application challenging the territorial jurisdiction of the court hearing the matter. When our application was rejected, we filed a Revision Application which was successful. Through our Revision Application we were able to show that the employee in question was a workman and hence the proper forum for the matter should be the Labour Court. The Petitioner subsequently filed an application before the Labour Court in Peshawar which too was on 10.08.2018 was successfully decided in favour of our client MOL Oil and Gas B.V.
At present the Firm is handling multiple litigations for Marriot International where the Firm is representing the Hotel chain against a criminal and employment claim regarding the termination of around 900 employees.
On 12.05.2020 successfully represented a hotel chain’s employees in a sexual harassment matter.
CLIENT: Varun Menon
COMPANY/FIRM: HMD GLOBAL OY (NOKIA)
TESTIMONIAL: We had engaged with Yousaf Amanat & Associates for certain labour related matters and advice in Pakistan and were very pleased with the professionalism and levels of service we received. Yousaf and his Partner in Karachi Noman were always on call to help and provide prompt advice and execute related actions. They had a very good and practical understanding of the local laws and practices.
CLIENT: Sara Daraziger
TESTIMONIAL: Yousaf has just been top notch with his advice and availability.
CLIENT: Alistair Woodland
COMPANY: Clifford Chance LLP
TESTIMONIAL: We can confirm that the Firm of Yousaf Amanat & Associates has rendered advice to Clifford Chance LLP over an employment and data protection issue concerning Pakistan. We found them to be helpful.
CLIENT: Anna Ducco
COMPANY: KPMG LEGAL GERMANY
TESTIMONIAL: Yousaf Amanat & Associates has assisted us recently in an employment and immigration matter concerning Pakistan.
CLIENT: Vincent Collins
Company: Commonwealth War Graves Commission
TESTIMONIAL: We found the Firm in particular Mr. Amanat to be very responsive and helpful.
CLIENT: Javier Alonso
COMPANY: Sgardoy Abagados
TESTIMONIAL: The Firm of Yousaf Amanat & Associates assisted us n providing advise to Averis. We found them to be very helpful and thorough in their advice.
CLIENT: Nigel Schilling
COMPANY: HEARST CORPORATION NEW YORK
TESTIMONIAL: The Firm advised us on employment law and tax. We found Mr. Amanat to be very prompt and thorough in his advice. He is available to reply to emails 24/7!
CLIENT: Mrs Qasmi Qamar
COMPANY: ENI PAKISTAN
TESTIMONIAL: The Firm of Yousaf Amanat & Associates is presently representing the Company in a litigation matter. The Firm has also in the past assisted us in an investigation on a whistle blowing matter. Mr. Amanat is very technical in legal advise.
CLIENT: Megan Smith
FIRM: Addleshaw Godard
TESTIMONIAL: The Firm of Yousaf Amanat & Associates provided us advice on a Data Protection matter recently. We found them in particular the partner Noman Zahid to be very detail oriented in his advice.
CLIENT: Jean Padden General Counsel-Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo
TESTIMONIAL: As a public international organization, CIMMYT works to ensure its continuous compliance with labor and employment matters. In this regard, CIMMYT values the benefit it has received from the responsive and expert services of Yousaf Amanat & Associates in Pakistan.
CLIENT: Nurul Ayu
FIRM: Herbert Smith Freehills
TESTIMONIAL: Yousaf Amanat & Associates provided us with advice on an employment matter. The Firm is very research oriented.
CLIENT: Liu Zhonghai
COMPANY/FIRM: CHINA RAILWAY CORPORATION
TESTIMONIAL: The Firm has been instrumental in our bidding process for the Orange Train Line. The Firm advised us on the bidding process, employment matters, tax matters, contract. We found them to be very responsive and their advice to be very helpful.
CLIENT: Zeeshan Sajjd Ali
COMPANY/FIRM: MARRIOT INTERNATIONAL
TESTIMONIAL: The Firm has been advising our hotel business for some time now on matters related to Labour and Employment matters for our various hotels all over Pakistan. The Firm has provided advice on critical labour law matters and has also successfully concluded various employment litigations in courts and before labour tribunals for our company. We are most satisfied with the level of expertise we have received from the Firm.
CLIENT: Simon Fasterkjaer
COMPNAY: Embassy of Denmark
TESTIMONIAL: Mr. Yousaf Amanat has been providing us assistance for the past 01 year on matters related to Employment Law. We have found his advice to be very useful. He tends to bring out of the box solutions to us which cater to our style pf working.
CLIENT: Lynn Rutter Director HR Oxfam International
COMPANY/FIRM: Yousaf Amanat & Associates
TESTIMONIAL: The Firm recently advised and successfully handled a very sensitive litigation for the organization. The litigation involved multi jurisdictions of Kenya, UK and Pakistan. Both Partners in Islamabad and Karachi, Yousaf and Noman are most reliable and attentive to our needs. Yousaf has the ability to take charge of situations and has an incredible eye for detail. Noman has often provided us with local laws applicable to our operation in Sind. The Firm has advised the organization since 2012 and this advice has also often included advice on matters regarding sexual harassment law in Pakistan.
CLIENT: Colt Resources-Middle East
COMPANY/FIRM: Yousaf Amanat & Associates
TESTIMONIAL: The Firm has advised us on our mining concessions in Pakistan. The firm was involved in negotiating a Shareholder Agreement and a Joint Venture Agreement between the Company and the Government of Pakistan. We were particularly impressed with the negotiation savvy Mr. Amanat who is quick on his feet and can reason commercial terms along with legal terms.
CLIENT: Mr. Wang Jun Project Director China Electric and Power Construction Corp
COMPANY/FIRM: Yousaf Amanat & Associates
TESTIMONIAL: Yousaf Amanat & Associates has advised the Company on its M4 Motorway Project. The Advice the Firm rendered to us included on Employment Law, Tax, Litigations, Criminal Law, contract and Government Relations. We found the advice of the company to be very helpful for our projects in Pakistan.
CLIENT: Yvonne Frederikson
COMPANY: Norrbom Vinding
TESTIMONIAL: Our Firm is part of Ius Laboris. As such when we were asked by the Royal Danish Embassy in Islamabad to refer an employment law firm for Pakistan, we checked with Ius Laboris and referred the Firm of Yousaf Amanat & Associates. We think the Embassy has been satisfied with them.
CLIENT: Shan Dong Hi Speed Group
COMPANY/FIRM: Yousaf Amanat & Associates
TESTIMONIAL: Yousaf Amanat & Associates has been instrumental in advising the Company on import export and customs issues for the Company’s project in Pakistan.
CLIENT: Indemnis Marine (Pvt.) Ltd., (Local Correspondents of P&I Clubs)
COMPANY/FIRM: Yousaf Amanat & Associates
TESTIMONIAL: The firm has been providing legal services to P&I Clubs, Ship Owners, Ship Operators and ships’ local agents since 2016 while defending various (around more than 300) oil shortage claims filed by consignees, claimants and insurers in the lower and high courts at Karachi.
CLIENT: Chief Executive (Cosmic Transportation & Chartering Network (Pvt.) Ltd.)
COMPANY/FIRM: Yousaf Amanat & Associates
TESTIMONIAL: We’re glad to corroborate that recently the Firm succeeded in obtaining decree to the tune of US$ 670,710.6 against the vessel and ship owners of M.V. MISKI against the claim for supplying necessaries to it and crew from the date of its arrival in Pakistan till consequent arrest and judgment / decree.
CLIENT: Mr. Qazi Shujaat Director HR MoL Oil & Gas B.V
COMPANY/FIRM: Yousaf Amanat & Associates
TESTIMONIAL:. The Firm has provided advice to the company on its operations on matters related to Employment and Contract. The advice of the Firm has been for both contentious and non-contentious matters. The firm has successfully concluded various litigations and Trade union disputes for the Company.
Press Releases29th June 2022 The Firm recently advised Apple on Data Protection Law.
29th June 2022 The Firm recently advised Nokia Phones on the change in regulations in Pakistan on manufacture of cellphones.
28th June 2022 The Firm recently advised Apple on Data Protection Law. The advice was provided in conjunction with the Law Firm Herbert Smith Freehills. Pakistan at present does not have a specific Data Protection Law however the law in Pakistan which provides against cyber-crime Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act 2016 also to a large extent caters to Data Protection. The Firm has been providing advise on Data Protection Laws recently. We have seen an uptake on advice on Data Protection Law particularly in conjunction with Covid-19 regulations. The Firm was recently also instructed by Herbert Smith Freehills to provide advise to Bloomberg on Covid-19 regulations with regard to workplace and employees.
Yousaf Amanat & Associates is advising the USD 1.42 Billion Karot Power Project on Employment and Labour Law7th February 2022 The Firm is advising the USD 1.42 Billion Karot Power Project on Employment and Labour Law. The advice also includes reviewing the guidelines of IFC and ILO on Labour. Formation of Trade Unions. Application of various Labour Laws on the operations of the Project.
7th February 2022 The Firm recently advised the social media video platform giant Daily Motion on the applicability of the Removal and Blocking of Unlawful Online Content (Procedure, Oversight and Safeguards) Rules, 2021. The Firm also advised Daily Motion on the applicability of Data Protection Law to its operations in Pakistan.
REMOVAL AND BLOCKING OF UNLAWFUL ONLINE CONTENT (Procedure, Oversight and Safeguards) RULES 2021. A LAW IN FURTHERANCE OF THE MAIN DATA PROTECTION LAW IN PAKISTAN, THE PREVENTION OF ELECTRONIC CRIMES ACT 2016.29th June 2022 The Removal and Blocking of Unlawful Online Content (Procedure, Oversight and Safeguards) Rules 2021 (“Rules”) have been enacted in furtherance of sections 37 and 51 of the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act 2016 (“PECA”). Section 37 and 51 of the PECA provide that the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (“PTA”) may promulgate rules for the blocking and regulating of online content on social media forums. The section further provides that such content shall be blocked ad removed when PTA considers the same to be violative of the glory and interest of Islam, defense, security and integrity of Pakistan, public order, decency or morality, or in relation to contempt of court or commission of or incitement of an offence relating to data protection or cybercrime.
22nd June 2022
1. THE LAW
1.1. Key legislation and regulationsIn the main Employment Law or Labour Law as it is more commonly referred to in Pakistan is applicable to lower cadre employees who may be skilled or unskilled. Examples of lower cadre unskilled workers are drivers, gardeners whereas skilled lower cadre employees can be technicians, clerks, bank tellers, receptionist. Such lower cadre employees whether skilled or unskilled are referred to as “Workmen”. All other employees may simply put be not Workmen. The reason behind categorising an employee as a workman or as a non-workman is the simple fact that the Labour Law will only be applicable to a Workman. Thus if an employee is not a workman he will not be able to seek the protection accorded to a Workman under Labour Law and will also not be able to seek the assistance of courts for the enforcement of the labour rights.
- Labour and employment