TSMP Law Corporation > Singapore, Singapore > Firm Profile
TSMP Law Corporation Offices
6 BATTERY ROAD
TSMP Law Corporation > The Legal 500 RankingsTSMP Law Corporation is led by Stefanie Yuen Thio, one of the firm’s founding partners; her practice sees her engaged on high-end M&A, general corporate transactions and initial public offerings and the wider team is also engaged for publicly listed takeovers and privatisations. A key differentiator for the group is its long-standing expertise in representing REITs.
Singapore Life Pte. Ltd.
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
YTL Power International Bhd
Yinson Acacia Limited, Yinson Boronia Consortium Pte. Ltd.
Dynamic Colours Limited
Firstcorp Pte. Ltd.; Firstcorp Global Pte. Ltd.; Firstcorp International Pte. Ltd.; Firstcorp Partners I Pte. Ltd.
GEMS Global School Limited GEMS Education (East Asia) Pte. Ltd.
MM2 Asia Ltd
- Advised Credit Suisse, financial adviser to CapitaLand Commercial Trust Management (as manager of CapitaLand Commercial Trust) in the S$22.9bn merger of CapitaLand Mall Trust and CapitaLand Commercial Trust.
- Acted for the shareholders of home-grown insurer Singapore Life Pte. Ltd. (Singlife) in its merger with Aviva Singapore in Singapore’s largest insurance deal, with a combined business valued at S$3.2bn.
- Acted for Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited, the financial advisor to Temasek Holdings, in the S$2.1bn recapitalisation of Sembcorp Marine through a rights issue, and the demerger of Sembcorp Industries and Sembcorp Marine.
Thio Shen Yi, SC
Other key lawyers:
Kelvin Koh; Pei Ching Ong; Melvin Chan; Adrian Tan
‘Good team of lawyers and very good in handling litigation’.
‘Outstanding advocacy through intuitive and innovative thinking. Energetic, sharp thinking and unrelenting.’
‘Synergistic team, responsive, and a very holistic approach when it came to handling cases. Proper and thoughtful advice was always given even if it was not optimal for revenue generation. This was especially true for Kelvin Koh.’
Compagnia de Navegacion Palomar, S.A.
Cosmopolitan Finance Corporation
Dominion Corporation S.A.
John Manners & Co Pte Ltd
Peninsular Navigation Company Pte Ltd
Straits Marine Company Pte Ltd
Peter Tan Shou Yi
Tedi Fly River Development Foundation Ltd
Eight members of communities living in the Western Province of Papua New Guinea
YTL PowerSeraya Pte. Limited
Seraya Energy Pte Ltd
The Kheng Chiu Tin Hou Kong and Burial Ground
Royston Moh Tai Suan
16 owners of 12 shop units in Macpherson Mall
ERC Unicampus Pte Ltd
Avery Strategic Investments Pte Ltd
Chengdu Ding Feng Real Estate Development Co., Ltd. Taicang Ding Feng Real Estate Development Co., Ltd. Xiamen Pacific Estate Investment Co., Ltd
- Successfully acted for Peter Tan, a former Prudential senior financial services manager, in defending a S$2.8 billion claim by Prudential over alleged mass poaching of agents.
- Acting for the communities in Papua New Guinea that were affected by the country’s biggest environmental disaster in recovering monies amounting to US$1.48bn meant for the benefit of said communities.
- Successfully acted for an electricity generator in Singapore and its electricity retailing arm in pursuing S$32 million liquidated damages from their customers, two Singapore subsidiaries of Japanese materials manufacturer Denka Co Ltd, in relation to the termination of an electricity contract.
Other key lawyers:
‘The employment law team is very responsive and very reasonable in terms of cost.’
‘Very responsive, deep understanding of the subject matter, detailed and yet practical solutions provided.’
‘Ian Lim is our go-to person in Singapore. He is terrific.’
‘Ian Lim is very good with great ideas and professional advice. Combined with a very human touch, I find the services provided excellent.’
‘Ian Lim – level headed professional, an expert in his field, great to work with.’
- Acted for Singlife in relation to employment and compensation matters arising from its $3.2bn merger with Aviva.
- Acted for Singapore Exchange-listed TEHO International in its High Court claims against the ex-MD of its subsidiary for his wide-ranging breaches of his fiduciary and contractual duties, misconduct and copyright infringement.
- Acted for multinational energy infrastructure contractor Entrepose in a post-acquisition $6.26m dispute with former owner and director Alain Dambron, involving claims for breaches of warranties and indemnities including for tax liabilities in Turkmenistan.
Thio Shen Yi, SC; Derek Loh; Melvin Chan
‘The team are designed to handle any kinds of issues including disputes in relation to the construction industry. They are well organized, extremely punctual and productive.’
‘Melvin Chan is very well organized and he also gave us various best results in various disputes in court litigation and adjudication.’
‘Technically competent and articulate in presenting arguments/rebuttals.’
‘Senior Counsel Thio Shen Yi needs no introduction.’
‘It is the firm’s wide knowledge in the Construction sector and their passion to deliver good and effective advice.’
‘Derek Loh He is creative thinker who finds solutions to the most difficult issues or problems we have had. He consistently gave us best results in various disputes where we initially had weak positions before he represented. He knows what his client wants.’
‘I would name Mr Melvin Chan, who has really engaged in our discussions and he offers good and effective advice. Mr Chan possessed very good knowledge of the Construction industry and he is very professional in his advice.’
CSYA Pte Ltd
Euro Assets Holding (S) Pte Ltd
Hyundai Engineering & Construction Co. Ltd
Hafary Pte Ltd
Boustead Projects E&C Pte Ltd
Blu World Pte Ltd
- Defending CSYA Pte Ltd and Chan Sau Yan (formerly trading as Chan Sau Yan Associates) against a S$13 million claims of fraud, conspiracy, negligence, and breaches of duty against an architect in the construction of three good class bungalows.
- Acting for Euro Assets Holding (S) Pte Ltd in a S$2 million compensation claim against the architect, engineer and contractor for damages related to addition and alteration works on the said shophouse.
- Acting for main contractor Hyundai Engineering & Construction Co. Ltd in defending a claim by Taishi-Tech (S) Pte Ltd in respect of the construction of the Watertown integrated development project in Punggol.
Thio Shen Yi, SC; Stefanie Yuen Thio
Other key lawyers:
‘Kelvin Koh – very knowledgeable legally and has a good commercial sense.’
Mizuho Bank of Japan
Agritrade International (Pte) Ltd
Former director of ZenRock
Hontop Energy (Singapore) Pte Ltd / Wanda Holding Group Co Ltd
Dr Goh Jin Hian
Parkway Holdings Limited
Creditors of Victoria Medical
Noteholders of Pacific International Lines Private Limited
Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Advised JP Morgan as one of the top 15 creditors (in value), being owed $46m, in the Hin Leong insolvency
- Advised Mizuho Bank of Japan, which is Hyflux’s second largest creditor and the largest non-secured creditor, in Hyflux’s restructuring.
- Advised Esprit on its Asia (ex-China) voluntary restructuring exercise, as Singapore counsel, in relation to its 12 retail stores in Singapore.
Jennifer Chia; June Ho
‘Good teamwork, responsive and professional’
‘Jennifer Chia is knowledgeable, responsive, meticulous and efficient’
‘We have worked together with June Ho on several international financings during the last year, and find her to be very responsive, excellent quality of work, pragmatic and pleasant to work with.’
INEOS Styrolution APAC Pte. Ltd.
Pan Asia Realty Advisors (Singapore)
Oxley Beryl Pte. Ltd. (“Oxley”)
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited
- Acted for Oxley Group in its discharge of securities securing the loan facilities of S$483m from HSBC and Maybank in relation to 30 Raffles Place, Chevron House
- Acted for OCBC and DBS on the grant of S$446m to 71 Robinson Pte. Ltd. for the acquisition of 71 Robinson Road from its affiliate.
- Acted for DNB Bank ASA in the US$2bn refinancing of Norway’s largest offshore company Solstad.
Stefanie Yuen Thio
INEOS Styrolution APAC Pte. Ltd.
- Advised Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited, the financial advisor to Temasek Holdings, on the S$2.1bn recapitalisation of Sembcorp Marine through a rights issue, and the demerger of Sembcorp Industries and Sembcorp Marine.
- Advising OUE Limited and its subsidiaries in OUELH’s S$190m recapitalisation to repay loans to OUE.
- Advised Halcyon Agri on its proposed S$174.7m rights issue.
TSMP Law Corporation > Firm Profile
Established in 1998, TSMP Law Corporation is recognised as Singapore’s top corporate boutique law firm. It specialises in complex dispute resolution and cutting-edge transactions for a wide range of clientele, spanning from Fortune 500 companies to private wealth individuals, from Singapore and countries all over the world. As an independent law firm, TSMP is experienced in working with top-tier global firms on cross-border deals. TSMP’s work in M&A, dispute resolution, international arbitration, real estate, construction and employment is regularly recognised by leading legal journals. The firm also prides itself on its community engagement.
|Mr Melvin Chan||Partner, Co-head of Construction & Engineering||View Profile|
|Ms Jennifer Chia||Partner, Head of Banking & Finance and Corporate Real Estate||View Profile|
|Ms June Ho||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Kelvin Koh||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Ian Lim||Partner, Head of Employment & Labour||View Profile|
|Mr Derek Loh||Partner, Co-head of Construction & Engineering||View Profile|
|Ms Pei Ching Ong||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Adrian Tan||Partner; Head of IP & TMT||View Profile|
|Ms Felicia Tan||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Shen Yi Thio, SC||Joint managing partner, Head of Dispute Resolution||View Profile|
|Ms Stefanie Yuen Thio||Joint Managing Partner, Head of Corporate||View Profile|