Mayne Wetherell > Auckland, New Zealand > Firm Profile
Mayne Wetherell Offices
LEVEL 5, BAYLEYS HOUSE
30 GAUNT STREET, PO BOX 3797
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
Mayne Wetherell > The Legal 500 Rankings
New Zealand > Banking and finance Tier 2The ‘competent, dedicated and responsive’ Auckland-based team at Mayne Wetherell has a ‘strong capability in the capital markets space’, working with a range of domestic banks, financial institutions, and blue-chip companies on structured finance, syndicated and bilateral financing, and acquisition finance matters. ‘Client-focused’ Mei Nah focuses on securitisation and debt capital markets, while practice head Will Tipping is noted for his capabilities in acquisition financing. Dave Wetherell has a long-standing reputation as one of New Zealand’s leading banking and finance experts, Daniel Meikle advises on structured funding matters, and Cameron Peachey focuses on acquisition, structured and property finance work.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have strong capability in the capital markets space, both in the local and offshore markets. Very up-to-date with market developments. A very competent, dedicated and responsive.’
‘Mei Nah is very competent, responsive and client-focused.’
‘Mayne Wetherell provides holistic advice, taking into consideration the business objectives of their clients. The firm delivers commercial advice in a user friendly manner’
‘Will Tipping and Cameron Peachey both excel in delivering bespoke commercial advice. Their ability to clearly articulate their advice and deliver it in an efficient and effective manner is exceptional and market-leading.’
Auckland International Airport
Bank of New Zealand
Westpac New Zealand
Latitude Financial Services
- Advised Auckland Council in its offer of NZ$300m of fixed rate green bonds.
- Advised the financiers to a securitisation warehouse to acquire LeasePlan New Zealand Limited’s receivable assets immediately on completion of SG Fleet Group’s acquisition of LeasePlan.
- Advised Bank of New Zealand in respect of facilities it made available to Whakatane Mill Limited, which allowed the Mill to diversify its business and continue trading.
New Zealand > Corporate and M&A Tier 2Praised by its blue-chip client base for providing ‘a professional and well-structured approach to M&A deals’, Mayne Wetherell is also well regarded for its capabilities in structuring and executing foreign direct investment into New Zealand and on the Overseas Investment Act regime. Primarily based in Auckland, the team has demonstrable experience across the financial services, healthcare, private equity, primary industry and technology sectors. Both Matthew Olsen and Michael Pritchard, who jointly lead the practice, handle public and private M&A transactions, as well as private equity mandates, foreign investments and corporate advisory. Consultant Simon Horner notably focuses on capital markets and securities matters.
Michael Pritchard; Matthew Olsen
Other key lawyers:
‘MW provide a professional and well-structured approach to M&A deals. They slowly worked through the process with us and were able to escalate resources , adjust to the natural course of the deal dynamics with ease and little fuss.’
‘We felt the same level of skill and professionalism with all the MW team, from junior associates right through to partners.’
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and/or affiliates and related/managed funds (KKR)
Intermediate Capital Group
Waterman Private Capital
The Warehouse Group
Shareholders in Ziwi
Shareholders in Papinelle
Masthead (the private office of the Stewart Family)
Tokio Marine HCC
- Acted as primary counsel for 2degrees through an IPO process, and subsequent private sale process, prior to 2degrees merging with Orcon Group.
- Acted for ZIWI in its acquisition by FountainVest.
- Acted for KKR in its acquisition of 100% of the ordinary shares in Ritchies Transport.
New Zealand > Tax Tier 2Housing ‘a tight-knit team of experienced and skilled tax lawyers’, Mayne Wetherell advises on the tax aspects of M&A transactions, real estate investments, as well as financings and securitisations, and has demonstrable experience in tax disputes. In the firm’s Auckland office, practice leaders Brendan Brown and Chris Harker form ‘a formidable team’ who are praised as ‘standout partners’. Brown specialises in corporate and international taxation, while Harker focuses on M&A transactions, restructurings, and financing arrangements, in addition to tax audits and related disputes. ‘Reliable and responsive’ special counsel Tim Stewart operates from the firm’s Wellington office and advises on corporate taxation and customs and excise issues, while Auckland-based senior associate Mitchell Fraser is praised as a ‘strong emerging talent’.
Brendan Brown; Chris Harker
Other key lawyers:
‘The MW team has a proven track record of advising on and informing practical and pragmatic policy development, achieving great outcomes for tax law in NZ. The MW team has a very high standard of service, which reflects a thorough and commercial understanding of the client’s business combined with expert knowledge of the law and how it applies in the client context.’
‘The partners are strong leaders, very practical and pragmatic in approach. Really well connected and respected in the NZ tax profession. Always very balanced and well considered, articulate positions strongly, clearly and with respect. Brendan Brown and Chris Harker are stand out partners and Mitchell Fraser is a very strong emerging talent.’
‘Brendan Brown, who leads Mayne Wetherell’s tax practice, is an experienced tax professional. He distinguishes himself from other practitioner’s in NZ due to his deep technical knowledge combined with a calm and considered approach to providing advice. He is well respected across the New Zealand tax community.’
‘A tight knit team of experienced and skilled tax lawyers with a highly responsive and collaborative approach to client engagement.’
‘Brendan Brown and Chris Harker are simply a formidable team.’
‘Brendan Brown is a leading tax lawyer in NZ, clear logical analysis and communication, exceptional accessibility and turnaround under tight deadlines, expertise in range of complex areas, ability to propose workable commercial solutions to client issues.’
‘Tim Stewart has strong technical analysis of issues and identification of solutions, is thoroughly reliable and responsive.’
Corporate Taxpayers Group
Avanti Finance Limited
Deutsche Bank AG
Westpac New Zealand Limited
- Acting as sole legal advisor to the Corporate Taxpayer’s Group in relation to corporate tax issues.
- Advised Avanti Finance Limited on its largest RMBS transaction.
- Advised Deutsche Bank, Westpac and Bank of New Zealand on the tax aspects of Bluestone’s NZ$250m RMBS transaction.
New Zealand > Restructuring and insolvency Tier 3Counting leading domestic banks and accounting firms among its key roster of clients, Auckland-based Mayne Wetherell handles large-scale public and private transactions in New Zealand, and subsequently receives restructuring and insolvency mandates arising from these deals. Will Tipping leads the team, and has demonstrable experience in acquisition financing and special situations.
Westpac New Zealand Limited
Bank of New Zealand
- Acting for Calibre Partners, the receivers, in respect of the receivership of the Van Leeuwen Dairy Group.
Mayne Wetherell > Firm Profile
Mayne Wetherell is a leading New Zealand law firm, known for advising on significant and often complex commercial transactions. Having long been recognised for its market-leading corporate and finance practices, the firm has recently added tax law to its offering, having been joined in 2021 by a team of tax specialists from another New Zealand firm.
MAIN AREAS OF PRACTICE
Mergers & Acquisitions: Mayne Wetherell advises on the full range of M&A activity, including listed company takeovers, cross-border transactions, distressed assets, industry consolidations and major divestments. Mayne Wetherell’s lawyers are experienced across a range of sectors, including food and beverage, TMT, property, infrastructure, primary industry, private equity, financial services and healthcare.
Mayne Wetherell’s lawyers are experts in structuring and executing foreign direct investment into New Zealand, including advising on all aspects of New Zealand’s foreign investment consenting regime (the Overseas Investment Act).
Recent transactions include:
- Acting for global investment firm KKR in relation to a number of its transactions in New Zealand, including the acquisitions of Ritchies (a New Zealand bus and coach business), Education Perfect (a New Zealand based online education business), Argenta (a leading animal health-focused pharma services platform) and Natural Pet Food Group (a New Zealand-based premium pet food business).
- Acting as lead counsel to the vendors in relation to their sale of Ziwi, a leading New Zealand-based pet food exporter and the global leader of air-dried pet nutrition, to Fountainvest Partners a Hong-Kong based private equity firm.
- Acting for Waterman Capital on its acquisition, aggregation and subsequent divestment of Provincial Education Group to Busy Bees Australia.
Contact: Michael Pritchard
Tel: +64 9 921 6073
Banking & Finance: Mayne Wetherell has acted for all the major banks; the firm has also provided all banking and finance related advice to New Zealand’s largest company, Fonterra Co-operative Group Limited, as well as to Auckland International Airport, 2degrees and Transpower.
Recent transactions include:
- Acting on multiple transactions for global credit funds, such as Goldman SSG, Varde, Merricks, M&G, Blackstone, KKR and others.
- Acting for Auckland Council, Auckland International Airport, Fonterra and Transpower and other corporates in relation to their treasury-related work, including bilateral and syndicated facilities, various issuances of debt securities in New Zealand (both retail and wholesale; and listed and unlisted), various Australian MTN issuances, US private placements and other offshore issuances, including green bond issuances.
- Acting for originators, financiers and independent trustees (as applicable) in relation to multiple warehouse and term securitisation transactions. Mayne Wetherell’s clients on these transactions have included Avanti Finance Limited, Bank of New Zealand, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Westpac New Zealand Limited, Deutsche Bank AG, M&G Investments, Goldman Sachs and other originators, global banks and investment funds and independent trustee companies.
Contact: Will Tipping
Tel: +64 9 921 6074
Tax: Mayne Wetherell’s Tax team was formed when a team of tax lawyers joined from another New Zealand firm in 2021. The team has advised on:
- Tax disputes, including numerous cases before the courts (involving tax avoidance, transfer pricing, capital/revenue, depreciation, and judicial review of the exercise of Inland Revenue’s powers) and in the MAP process.
- Obtaining Inland Revenue rulings.
- Regulatory capital-raisings for banks.
- M&A transactions, demergers and other corporate restructurings.
- The formation of investment funds.
- Customs and excise issues.
- Tax issues for individuals and family trusts.
- Tax reform initiatives, in which the team has advocated for clients and industry bodies.
While providing support to Mayne Wetherell’s transactional teams, the Tax team is also instructed directly by clients across a range of industries and has worked alongside transactional lawyers in a number of other firms.
One attribute setting the team apart is its involvement in the tax reform process. This helps the team to advise not only on the ‘black letter law’ aspect of an issue but also on the broader policy context and Inland Revenue’s approach, which is critical to determining the best strategy and achieving practical outcomes.
The team also has an in-depth understanding of international tax issues, including the BEPS reforms enacted since 2017 and latest OECD proposals. The team has advised on several transfer pricing cases including cases that led to litigation or referral to MAP. The team has an in-depth knowledge of New Zealand’s Tax Treaty network and has co-authored the New Zealand chapter of the IBFD Global Tax Treaty Commentaries.
Contact: Brendan Brown
Tel: +64 4 260 2231
|Banking & Finance; Special Situations & Restructuring; Structured Finance & Securitisation; Private Equity & Venture Capital||Will Tippingfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 921 6074|
|Structured Finance; Special Situations & Restructuring; Mergers & Acquisitions; Capital Markets||Daniel Meikleemail@example.com||+64 9 921 6015|
|Leading and project managing major transactions; Mergers & Acquisitions; Private Equity & Venture Capital; Structured Finance & Securitisation; Banking & Finance; Special Situations & Restructuring; Capital Markets||Dave Wetherellfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 921 6003|
|Capital Markets; Structured Finance; Banking and Finance; Financial Services Regulation||Mei Nahemail@example.com||+64 9 921 6005|
|Mergers & Acquisitions; Corporate Advisory; Private Equity & Venture Capital; Capital Markets||Matthew Olsenfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 921 6097|
|Mergers & Acquisitions; Commercial Services; Capital Markets; Private Equity & Venture Capital; Corporate Advisory||Michael Pritchardemail@example.com||+64 9 921 6073|
|Tax||Brendan Brownfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 4 260 2231|
|Tax||Chris Harkeremail@example.com||+64 9 921 6004|
|Acquisition finance; Structured finance; Project finance; General corporate and property finance||Cameron Peacheyfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 921 6013|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 32 Number of partners : 9
- Banking and finance
- Corporate and M&A