Raja, Darryl & Loh > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia > Firm Profile
Raja, Darryl & Loh Offices
Level 26, Menara Hong Leong
6, Jalan Damanlela, Bukit Damansara
Raja, Darryl & Loh > The Legal 500 RankingsRaja, Darryl & Loh handles litigation across a broad range of sectors, spanning the construction, consumer goods and services, infrastructure and healthcare industries, as well as the technology, telecoms, energy and real estate sectors; medical negligence claims are also a niche specialism. Ng Sai Yeang leads the group; she focuses on finance and corporate litigation, handling shareholder disputes, boardroom claims and receivership and insolvency litigation. Raja Eileen Soraya has extensive experience in civil and commercial litigation, dealing with professional negligence, corporate fraud and breach of fiduciary duties cases, defamation and media litigation and administrative law proceedings.
Petron Malaysia Refining & Marketing Bhd
Petron Oil (M) Sdn Bhd
The Edge Media Group
- Represented creditors of AirAsia X Berhad (AAX) in respect of the application by AAX to the High Court for an order to convene creditors’ meetings under a scheme of arrangement pursuant to the Companies Act 2016.
- Won an appeal in the Court of Appeal representing a consultant plastic surgeon in a claim against him for medical negligence.
- Successfully defended a company and some of its directors/shareholders in an action in the High Court pursuant to section 346 of the Companies Act 2016 premised on alleged oppression, unfair discrimination and prejudice.
Other key lawyers:
- Defended four insurance companies before the Malaysian Competition Appeal Tribunal against a decision of the Malaysian Competition Commission regarding their cartel behaviour.
- Acted for a manufacturer of consumer goods in respect of an investigation by the Malaysian Competition Commission and by the Competition regulator of a foreign jurisdiction.
- Conducted a competition audit for a large pharmaceutical company.
‘We would go to Raja, Darryl & Loh for any IP assistance in Malaysia. They are highly professional, reliable and responsive. They are always be able to offer the most practically effective solution to the IP issues we are seeking to resolve for our clients in Malaysia.’
‘Yvonne Ong is the senior partner of the firm who has extensive experiences in all IP areas. She is always be able to offer the reliable, creative and practically effective solutions to our IP issues.’
‘Sharon Lai has high expertise and experience providing responsive and outstanding support in IP matters before the Trademark Office of Malaysia. ’
‘We engage their IP team in respect of prosecution and enforcement of IP matters in Malaysia. We recommend Ms. Yvonne Ong (Partner, Head of Intellectual Property) and her team for their professionalism and swift service.’
‘Creative solutions, sufficient number of partners specialised in their respective fields’
‘Ms Yvonne Ong – creative and commercially minded. Able to grasp engineering concepts quickly’
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Vitally Sdn Bhd
- Represented a technology company in its action in the High Court against another company for copyright infringement of our client’s computer programs.
- Advised a client in regard to its long-term trademark licensing agreement covering Malaysia and Brunei for the use of certain fashion brands and conducting due diligence in respect of the said trademarks.
- Advised a client and drafted relevant documentation in respect of its proposed new business venture to operate retail stores specialising in the sale of fertilisers.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team provides very personalised service for employment matters .’
‘Li-Vyen Tham is highly competent and my trusted employment lawyer when I have contentious employment matters in Malaysia. She’s quick to respond and offers practical advice that’s easy to understand and implement for corporates.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable and approachable with a dedicated partner. They are client-centric in their approach and always very responsive. ’
Baker Hughes Group
- Successfully defended a leading company in the food and beverage industry in two appeals to the Court of Appeal resulting from claims for unfair dismissal that had originated in the Industrial Court.
- We secured the dismissal of an application for Judicial Review before the High Court where an employee’s claim for unfair dismissal had previously been dismissed by the Industrial Court.
- Arising from the adverse effect of the Covid-19 pandemic and the Movement Control Order, we advised the client on changes to be made to its employees’ compensation and benefits structure (including collective agreements with employees).
Other key lawyers:
Petron Malaysia Refining & Marketing Bhd
Petron Fuel International Sdn Bhd
Marriott International Group
- Obtained a favourable decision against a developer in the Court of Appeal relating to the validity of a certificate of non-completion, how to deal with retention sums post-termination and the right of an assignor to terminate a contract.
- Succeeded in the High Court in defending a decision of an arbitral tribunal to strike out an arbitration on the ground of non-compliance with a condition precedent to the commencement of arbitration.
- Succeeded in defending, in the Court of Appeal, a High Court decision on questions of law arising from an arbitral award, and subsequently in procuring the dismissal of the application for leave to appeal to the Federal Court.
Malaysia > Tax Tier 2Raja, Darryl & Loh‘s broad tax offering includes litigation and structuring; its advisory work spans income tax, real property gains tax, sales and service tax and customs duties. practice head Vijey Krishnan regularly handles both contentious and non-contentious work, including significant cases in the real estate, infrastructure and technology sectors. William Wong assists with tax advice in relation to business structures and e-commerce platforms, as well as appearing in court. It has focused on advisory work recently for new clients from a range of sectors, such as food, insurance, energy, education and banking, as the courts recover capacity restricted during the pandemic.
Other key lawyers:
‘Vijey R. Mohana Krishnan is a complex problem solver. He is able to read and interpret legislation in a way that provides grounds to support our position. Accessible and available for consultation.’
- Represented a property development company in an appeal to the High Court from the Special Commissioners of Income Tax, securing a decision that payments made by the client as a developer to the Lembaga Perumahan dan Hartanah Selangor to reduce the Bumiputera sales quota are tax-deductible.
- Secured the dismissal of an appeal to the Court of Appeal for a subsidiary of a public-listed company that a bill of demand from the Director General of Customs to collect goods and services tax (GST) on service that was zero-rated was unlawful.
- Acted in an appeal for a public-listed infrastructure company to the Customs Appeal Tribunal against a decision of the Director General of Customs disallowing the zero-rating of the client’s services for the Light Rail Transit system for the purposes of GST.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good partners and knowledge. Understands business and client considerations‘.
‘Tong Lai Ling is an outstanding lawyer with excellent client service standards‘.
Sime Darby Berhad
MAA Group Berhad
CapSphere Sdn Bhd
- Advised a licensed Microsoft reseller on the master services agreement with the Government.
- Advised a public-listed pharmaceutical company on its medical applications for the development, hosting and maintenance of medical mobile applications for diabetic and cancer cases.
- Acting for a financial services company that is entering into a joint venture with the Malaysian subsidiary of a US financial technology company with the objective of making a joint application to the Central Bank for a digital banking licence.
MAA Group Berhad
Capsphere Sdn Bhd
- Advised the lenders which was a consortium of eight international banks, from a Malaysian law perspective, on credit facilities amounting to $520m extended to six borrowers incorporated in Singapore for the acquisition of assets.
- Advised A leading aircraft leasing and management company on the financing and securitisation for an Airbus aircraft.
- Advised a Malaysian bank on an arrangement with an approved peer-to-peer (P2) financing platform operator that will expedite and facilitate the financing of asset acquisitions by small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Malaysia.
Malaysia > Corporate and M&A Tier 3The corporate and M&A practice at Raja, Darryl & Loh is best known for transactions in the healthcare and technology industries; other notable experience is in aviation, financial services and manufacturing. The group regularly advises on both domestic and cross-border M&A and disposals, including multijurisdictional acquisitions. Department head Chew Phye Keat's practice encompasses corporate and commercial transactions, notably joint ventures in the telecoms and IT industries.
‘We worked regularly with RDL given their ability to offer comprehensive legal services. We are able to rely on them to give us the support as needed for all matters arising in Malaysia.’
‘The firm has a broad range of capabilities, and the various partners work well together to provide solutions to clients.’
‘RDL are possibly the best Malaysian corporate firm I have worked with and are my go-to firm for all M&A, corporate and regulatory matters. The level of competence is top notch and they are also very innovative in finding solutions for clients.’
‘Joyce Teh is my go-to for corporate and commercial work. She is responsive, very competent, gives clear advice, and is reasonable on pricing. She also always makes herself personally available.’
‘The Corporate M&A team at RDL is a pleasure to work with and generally very responsive.’
Aspen Pumps Ltd
MAA Group Berhad
Silverlake Axis Ltd
- Acted for the creditors of Malaysian Airlines Berhad and MAB Leasing Ltd in respect of the recent debt restructuring involving RM16 billion of debts of the airline group, effected pursuant to new English companies legislation.
- Advised Mega First Corporation Berhad in its proposed acquisition of the entire issued and paid-up capital of Stenta Films (M) Sdn Bhd for a total cash consideration of RM205 million.
- Advising on the liquidation/disposal of the Group’s assets which include investments, franchises and intellectual property rights in numerous countries.
Other key lawyers:
‘Choon Hon Leng provides quick, in-depth responses to problems with solutions driven by years of experience.’
- Advising the asset owner and operator of the pending Johor Bahru – Singapore Rapid Transit System, on the tender and award of all the packages for the construction of the system and consultancy works.
- Advised the owner of the light Rail Transit 3 (LRT3) Project on all matters pertaining to and arising from the conversion of the Project model to a Turnkey Contractor model.
- Advised the owner of the Rapid KL Monorail on all matters pertaining to the operation of the Rapid KL Monorail.
Raja, Darryl & Loh > Firm Profile
Raja, Darryl & Loh, a full-service legal firm in Malaysia, was established in 1964 and is one of the larger law firms in the country. With a network of legal and other professional firms in other jurisdictions, the firm has the capacity to procure international professional assistance and referrals for its clients.
Clients range from conglomerates, multinationals, public listed companies, banks and other financial institutions, fund and asset management companies and corporations in a broad spectrum of industries to high-net-worth individuals.
The firm’s lawyers comprise practitioners who have been trained in Malaysia as well as abroad, including other common law jurisdictions such as Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. Many are barristers who have been admitted to the Bar of England and Wales. They are proficient in many languages – English, Malay, Tamil, Mandarin and various Chinese dialects.
Some partners are members of the Panels of Arbitrators, Adjudicators and Mediators of the Asian International Arbitration Centre.
Most of the partners of the firm have been recognised over many years by legal publications as leading practitioners in their respective areas of expertise.
Banking, corporate, commercial law, construction, foreign investment, intellectual property, medical law and healthcare, mergers and acquisitions and real estate may be said to constitute the core practice areas. Whether in regard to dispute resolution, issuing legal opinions or drafting, vetting and negotiation of documents, these areas of law have been part of the bedrock of the firm’s practice for decades.
In addition to the above, the firm includes in its domain quite a number of other areas which may be considered specialist, notably: aviation, competition, energy, e-commerce, financial technology, insolvency, employment and industrial relations, personal data protection, technology, multimedia and telecommunications, tax and unit trusts and investment funds. Over the years, the respective partners have built up experienced teams, gaining a solid reputation for quality work.
At the heart of it all, over and above the areas of expertise, the firm believes that its strength, the thing that may well make it stand out from the crowd, is its emphasis on professionalism and integrity, coupled with its practical, innovative and holistic approach to help clients achieve the results they require.
|AntiTrust & Competition, Intellectual Property, Technology, Multimedia & Telecommunications||Chew Phye Keatfirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9873|
|Dispute Resolution, Banking & Finance||Ng Sai Yeangemail@example.com||603 2632 9877|
|Labour & Employment, Dispute Resolution, Wills, Probate & Administration||Ravindra Kumar Rengasamyfirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9863|
|Dispute Resolution, Medical law & Healthcare, Media law||Raja Eileen Soraya Bt Raja Amanemail@example.com||603 2632 9890|
|Tax, Foreign Investment||Vijey M Krishnanfirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9868|
|Insolvency & Restructuring, Dispute Resolution, Banking & Finance||Mark La Brooyemail@example.com||603 2632 9865|
|Technology, Multimedia & Telecommunications, Personal Data Protection & Privacy, E-Commerce||Tong Lai Lingfirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9878|
|Capital Markets, Corporate and M&A, Insurance||Tai Chu Weiemail@example.com||603 2632 9891|
|Corporate and M&A, Medical Law & Healthcare, Foreign Investment, Banking & Finance||Joyce Teh Yen Yenfirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9882|
|Arbitration, Dispute Resolution, Construction, Energy & Infrastructure||Choon Hon Lengemail@example.com||603 2632 9888|
|Aviation, Banking & Finance, Corporate and M&A, Foreign Investment, Unit Trusts & Investments||Chong Kok Sengfirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9889|
|Intellectual property||Yvonne Ongemail@example.com||603 2632 9886|
|Financial Technology, E-Commerce, Banking & Finance, Money Services Business, Real Estate||Chong Mei Meifirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9887|
|Arbitration, Dispute Resolution, Construction, Energy & Infrastructure||Ooi Huey Miinemail@example.com||603 2632 9893|
|Banking & Finance, Real Estate, AntiTrust & Competition||Wong Quan Seanfirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9869|
|Arbitration, Dispute Resolution, Construction, Energy & Infrastructure||Hor Shirleyemail@example.com||603 2632 9880|
|Labour & Employment, Dispute Resolution, Wills, Probate & Administration||Tham Li Vyenfirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9875|
|Arbitration, Construction, Energy & Infrastructure||Joshua Chongemail@example.com||603 2632 9876|
|Dispute Resolution, Medical Law & Healthcare||Charlaine Adrienne Chinfirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9904|
|Intellectual Property||Leong Ooi Lingemail@example.com||603 2632 9903|
|Tax||William Wongfirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9905|
|Tax||Chang Ee Leenemail@example.com||603 2632 9911|
|Arbitration, Construction, Energy & Infrastructure||Zack Tan Zhang Weifirstname.lastname@example.org||603 2632 9927|
|Dr Syed Adam Alhabshi||Partner – Islamic Finance||View Profile|
|Ms Ee Leen Chang||Partner, Tax||View Profile|
|Ms Charlaine Adrienne Chin||Partner; Dispute Resolution; Medico-Legal||View Profile|
|Mr Joshua Chong||Partner; Dispute Resolution; Construction, Infrastructure & Energy||View Profile|
|Mr Tai Chu Wei||Partner; Capital Markets; Mergers & Acquisitions||View Profile|
|Mr Choon Hon Leng||Partner; Dispute resolution; Construction, Infrastructure and Energy; Intellectual Property||View Profile|
|Ms Shirley Hor||Partner; Dispute Resolution, Construction, Infrastructure & Energy||View Profile|
|Mr Ooi Huey Miin||Partner; Dispute Resolution; Construction, Infrastructure & Energy; Arbitration||View Profile|
|Mr Chong Kok Seng||Partner; Aviation, Banking & Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions||View Profile|
|Mr Vijey Krishnan||Partner; Tax||View Profile|
|Mr Mark La Brooy||Partner- Dispute Resolution; Insolvency; Banking and Finance;||View Profile|
|Ms Tong Lai Ling||Partner; Head of Technology, Multimedia & Telecommunications||View Profile|
|Ms Tham Li Vyen||Partner; Dispute Resolution; Employment & Industrial Relations||View Profile|
|Ms Chong Mei Mei||Partner; Fintech; Banking & Finance; Real Estate||View Profile|
|Ms Yvonne Ong||Partner; Head of Intellectual Property.||View Profile|
|Ms Leong Ooi Ling||Partner – Intellectual Property||View Profile|
|Mr Chew Phye Keat||Managing Partner; Head of Corporate and Commercial; Competition law.||View Profile|
|Ms Wong Quan Sean||Partner; Corporate & Commercial; Real Estate||View Profile|
|Ms Raja Eileen Soraya Raja Aman||Partner; Dispute Resolution; Medico-legal; Media Law||View Profile|
|Mr Ravindra Kumar Rengasamy||Partner; Dispute Resolution;Head of Employment and Industrial Relations.||View Profile|
|Ms Ng Sai Yeang||Partner – Head of Dispute Resolution; Banking & Finance; Insolvency||View Profile|
|Mr Yeong Tat Tan||Partner – Technology, Multimedia and Telecommunications||View Profile|
|Mr Jed Tan||Partner – Technology, Multimedia and Telecommunications||View Profile|
|Mr Zack Tan||Partner; Construction, Infrastructure and Energy||View Profile|
|Ms Joyce Teh||Partner; Corporate; Mergers & Acquisitions; Healthcare||View Profile|
|Mr William Wong||Partner – Tax||View Profile|