Anthony Harper > Christchurch, New Zealand > Firm Profile
Anthony Harper Offices
Level 9, Anthony Harper Tower
Anthony Harper > The Legal 500 RankingsAnthony Harper‘s corporate practice has bolstered its offering with the arrival of corporate and securities expert Andrew Wallace, who joins as a consultant from Lowndes Jordan in Spring 2021, and Matt Smith has been promoted to partner. The practice continues to perform strongly in public M&A, private equity transactions, corporate structuring, joint ventures and capital raisings. The practice is particularly well regarded for its retirement village expertise, which is among the largest specialist practice in New Zealand. Christchurch based ‘standout corporate lawyer’ David Gould ‘has a good mix of intelligence, humility and commerciality’ and managing partner Malcolm Hurley is noted for his M&A expertise, particularly within the retail sector. Alex Campbell and Jenny Baldwin, who is the key partner for retirement village-related mandates, as well as senior assistant Jordan Wright , make up other key figures in Auckland. Chris Dann leads the practice from Christchurch. Sam Wilson joined the team from DLA Piper New Zealand in August 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘Anthony Harper’s David Gould is an excellent legal partner on any acquisition or divestment that we have been involved in. He is a very clever lawyer but more importantly he is practical and commercial. David seems to manage his team well in that he is typically always available to take on work when required by us. He also has a very good reputation in the market so can talk to a lot of other corresponding legal teams with ease and also knows or has good relationships with industry participants.’
‘In my 20 years of commercial experience David Gould has been the standout corporate lawyer that I have used or come up against. He has a good mix of intelligence, humility and commerciality.’
‘Alex Campbell – pragmatic, commercially minded lawyer who consistently delivers high quality work.’
Rhenus Logistics Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
Scales Corporation Limited
IE Money Limited
- Advised the NZX listed international milk nutrition company on its strategically important acquisition of major cheese producer, Dairyworks Limited for NZ$112 million.
- Advised the court-appointed Receivers over the shares in Worldwide Leisure Limited on the sale of world-renown Huka Lodge to US private equity client.
- Advised global logistics provider, Rhenus Group on its acquisition of 100% of the Malcolm Total Logistics Group.
‘The firm is nimble, creative and extremely good with clients and advocacy alike. Dan Hughes is the stand out performer.’
‘Dan Hughes is a tough but sensible litigator. He is responsive, efficient and clearly well liked and respected by his clients. He can see clearly the right route for successfully resolving problems, and is decisive.’
Auckland International Airport Ltd
Avior Consulting Pty Limited
First Credit Union
Lyttelton Port Company Ltd
Mercedes-Benz New Zealand
Ngāti Awa Group Holdings Limited (Ngāti Awa)
- Acting for the liquidators of CBL Insurance on a breach of directors’ duties claim following the collapse of the company. The collapse of the CBL Group (with trading arms across the world) has been widely publicised with an estimated loss of NZ$747 million arising as a result of the collapse of parent company, CBL Corporation. It is the first case in New Zealand involving the collapse of an insurance company.
- Acting for Mr Tu’isila, Matai (chief) of the Tu’isila tribe in Samoa, in respect of his claim for the reclassification and return of customary land on the island of Namu’a in Samoa.
- Acting for McGrath Nicol as Court-appointed receivers to the shares of the company which owns internationally renowned Huka Lodge and Dolphin Island in Fiji.
‘The team is great, cannot fault them. There overall knowledge is fantastic, they are effective and timely with responses, the team always deals with all matters promptly. They have good client knowledge and understanding of how the business works. The seminars the firm holds for upcoming changes are informative and extremely beneficial.’
‘Kathryn McKinney is recommended for her professionalism and pragmatic advice.’
Naylor Love Construction
McConnell Dowell Constructors
Waste Management NZ
- Representing Flick Anticimex in an investigation in which a worker was hospitalised with symptoms arising from exposure to methyl bromide.
- Advised a specialist access equipment hire and installation business on an application to WorkSafe for an enforceable undertaking, resulting from an incident in which a roofing contractor was seriously injured.
- Represented McConnell Dowell in an investigation and prosecution into the death of a member of the public who was struck by a concrete truck controlled by a joint venture between McConnell Dowell and Downer New Zealand.
‘High-quality work, technical expertise, problem-solving and access to partners.’
‘We often work with Ed Dunphy. He is very practical, listens and focuses on the important issues.’
‘Very well-informed and in touch with all segments of the property market. Very proactive in terms of highlighting risks/opportunities etc, rather than only responding to requests. Very adept at handling parties on the other side of transactions, in a respectful, non-confrontational, but authoritative manner. ’
‘Tim Barclay stands out as he is not only an experienced and outstanding lawyer, but also has the talent to understand his clients’ commercial interests which is so rare among lawyers. Tim goes all the way to support client needs, is very quick on the uptake, has an excellent memory, and is highly detailed in his analysis of legal issues without wasting time on superfluous elements.’
‘Anthony Harper provide us legal advice across a number of verticals including real estate and construction. Having the versatility to provide a breadth of expertise is advantageous to us.’
‘Nothing is ever a problem. Always keeps in contact with progress. Provides excellent advice and practical solutions to any problems and clearly identifies risks for our company.’
Goodman Property Trust
The Fletcher Construction Company
Stride Property Group
Otautahi Community Housing Trust
CDL Land New Zealand
Huadu International NZ and its development subsidiaries, HREF Health Precinct Limited and Cranmer Gardens Limited
Fulton Hogan Limited
Pacific Radiology Limited
University of Canterbury
CPB Construction Pty Ltd
- Acting for Heredium Group on the acquisition of four youth hostels (Rotorua, Wellington, Tekapo and Wanaka) from Youth Hostels Association of New Zealand for a combined purchase price of $22m+, and the lease back of those properties to the YHA.
- Acting for Woolworths New Zealand Limited on the development of a significant new Distribution Centre in the lower North Island.
- Acting for HREF Health Precinct Limited (a subsidiary of Huadu International Construction (NZ) on the sale of a new office building in Christchurch, setting a record price for the sale of a single asset office building in the city.
‘Very experienced team who are readily available and quick to respond. Offer well thought out, clear and concise advise which includes options as to steps that can be taken along with their recommendation as to which course to follow. The team are regarded as experts in their field and very commercial in their thinking.’
‘Crispin Vinnell is the partner we deal with. We have used his services for over 10 years and value his legal knowledge and the ability to practically apply this in a commercial situation to obtain the best possible outcomes. He is readily available and returns calls promptly and can be relied on to meet deadlines.’
‘The Anthony Harper team are a very experienced, knowledgeable and highly skilled group of Solicitors. The proactively seek innovative solutions to solve, at times, complex legal issues. They also use the breadth/depth of the entire Anthony Harper team whom work in a collaborative manner in order to deliver solutions.’
‘Crispin and Chloe are personable yet highly professional individuals. They constantly strive to exceed our expectations in regards to turnaround times, standard of advice and innovative solutions. Crispin and Chloe are constantly keeping us up to date with advancements in legal precedents and pending changes to law, which is greatly appreciated.’
Westpac New Zealand Limited
Ernst & Young
Heartland Bank Limited
- Acting for the liquidators of CBL Insurance, McGrathNicol, on a breach of directors’ duties claim following the collapse of the company.
- Acting for the liquidators of Decmil Construction New Zealand (Decmil) in a high profile, contentious liquidation which involved a range of novel issues, including retention trust funds under the Construction Contracts Act.
- Acting for the Court appointed receivers to the shares of Worldwide Leisure to facilitate the sale of Huka Lodge and/or Dolphin Island in Fiji to realise US$25m for payment into Court.
‘Detailed knowledge of the Port and Maritime industry. Significant history of providing legal advice and support in this specialist area. This includes international transactions for sale and purchase of expensive equipment.’
‘Chris Dann provides very high quality advice and has a high attention to detail.’
Auckland International Airport
China Eastern Airways
First Global Logistics
Hellmann Worldwide Logistics
Kings Transport and Logistics
Lyttelton Port Company Limited
Mercedes-Benz New Zealand
Scales Storage and Logistics
- Advised Hilton Haulage on the establishment of its global logistics and freight forwarding business division.
- Advised Lyttelton Port Company Limited on a range of template and bespoke port and logistics services agreements.
- Advised Rhenus Group on the purchase of shares in three separate companies comprising Malcolm Total Logistics Group.
ASB Bank Limited
Bank of China (New Zealand) Limited
Bank of New Zealand
China Construction Bank (New Zealand) Limited
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (New Zealand) Limited
Mainland Capital Limited
Mutual Credit Finance Limited
Westpac New Zealand Limited
- Acting for Synlait Milk Limited for the acquisition funding for Synlait Milk Limited’s acquisition of the shares in Dairyworks Limited.
- Acted for MaxCap Group, one of Australasia’s largest non-bank commercial real estate lenders and investment managers, on its NZ$30m funding to development to the Safari Group for the construction of a hotel and apartment building in Wellington. This was MaxCap group’s first lending transaction in the New Zealand market.
- Advised Electra Limited on US$125m note issue by a United States prudential fund. The transaction involved a complex deal structure with two creditor groups with separate securities.
‘Great understanding of New Zealand financial regulator the FMA with a practical approach to issues. Easy to work with and understanding of business drivers.’
‘Nick Summerfield is an expert in the field.’
AIA New Zealand Limited
Westpac New Zealand Limited
Silverfin Capital Limited
New Zealand Funds Management Limited
Mainland Capital Limited
First Credit Union Incorporated
Midlands Funds Management Limited
- Supporting AIA New Zealand, NZ Funds Management, and others on their transition to the new financial advice regime which commenced in March 2021.
- Assisting Mainland Capital Limited with the establishment of the Mainland Capital Growth Fund, a bespoke growth-oriented property development fund.
- Assisting Third Age Health Services with its successful NZX listing.
New Zealand > Tax Tier 3
‘Top flight team, lateral thinkers, very deep legal knowledge, personable, switched on, practical, cost conscious.’
Deep Down Wines
Much Moore Ice-cream
- Acting for Caterpillar in a trade mark opposition to an application by Tigercat Inc for TIGERCAT which is part of an ongoing worldwide dispute between Caterpillar and Tigercat.
- Advising Deep Down Wines Limited and providing assistance in clearing a new wine brand on a global level which involved clearing multiple alternatives and finally settling on DEEP DOWN.
- Acting together with Corrs Chambers Westgarth on an application to remove WATCHES OF SWITZERLAND trade mark registered in New Zealand by the Singaporean operator of Watches of Switzerland.
Anthony Harper > Firm Profile
Anthony Harper is one of New Zealand’s oldest-standing law firms, with a proud history that spans more than 150 years. Today the firm has more than 150 people based in Auckland and Christchurch, with internationally recognised and award-winning specialist lawyers working for a wide range of clients (from large corporates to individuals), across a range of sectors and services.
We work throughout New Zealand, and through ALFA International partners can arrange legal support in 65 countries.
Lawyers at Anthony Harper are industry experts across key sectors and services. These are high growth areas for the national economy, and the ones to which we can add the greatest value, through our clients and the direct contributions we make. Our precision, attention to detail and clarity allows us to quickly analyse complex problems and get to the heart of the issue.
Practice Areas – Services
- Cross Border Investments
- Corporate Advisory
- Intellectual Property
- Banking and Finance
- Health and Safety
- Insolvency and Corporate Recovery
- Resource management
- Trust and Asset Planning
- Financial Services
Practice Areas – Sectors
- Logistics and Transport
- Manufacturing and Exporting
- Food and Beverage
- Retirement Villages
- Emerging Companies
|Corporate Advisory | Logistics and Transport | Manufacturing and Exporting | Technology||Chris Dann - Head of Practiceemail@example.com||+64 3 964 5835|
|Corporate Advisory | Automotive | Food and Beverage | Retail||Alex Campbellfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 356 2625|
|Corporate Advisory | IP | Litigation | Food and Beverage | Automotive | Privacy||Mark Gavinemail@example.com||+64 9 984 4233|
|Corporate Advisory | Manufacturing and Exporting | Tourism||David Gouldfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 3 364 3811|
|Corporate Advisory | Cross Border Investments | Technology||Geoff Hoskingemail@example.com||+64 9 920 6478|
|Corporate Advisory | Food and Beverage | Retail||Malcolm Hurley - Managing Partnerfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 920 6476|
|Corporate Advisory | Cross Border Investments | Manufacturing and Exporting||Ewe Leong Limemail@example.com||+64 9 920 6468|
|Corporate Advisory | Financial Services||Nick Summerfieldfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 984 4234|
|Banking and Finance | Financial Services||Nigel Oliver - Head of Practiceemail@example.com||+64 3 364 3813|
|Banking and Finance | Automotive||Grant Goldsmithfirstname.lastname@example.org||+649 920 6477|
|Insolvency and Corporate Recovery | Banking and Finance||Crispin Vinnellemail@example.com||+64 3 364 3814|
|Property | Hotels||Tim Barclay - Head of Practicefirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 3 364 3829|
|Property||Tim Bunkeremail@example.com||+64 9 356 2641|
|Property | Cross Border Investments||Sylvia Cheahfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 920 6467|
|Property | Construction||Ed Dunphyemail@example.com||+64 9 920 6460|
|Property | Hotels | Retail | Cross Border Investments | Tourism||Daniel Frenchfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 3 364 3824|
|Property | Hotels||Alistair Lawemail@example.com||+64 9 356 2648|
|Property||Murray Weakleyfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 3 364 3801|
|Resource Management||Gerard Clearyemail@example.com||+64 3 364 3809|
|Litigation | Insolvency and Corporate Recovery||Dan Hughes - Head of Practicefirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 920 6472|
|Litigation | Construction||Karen Kempemail@example.com||+64 9 920 6466|
|Health and Safety | Litigation||Grant Nicholsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 356 2621|
|Litigation | Construction | Insurance||Richard Smedleyemail@example.com||+64 3 364 3825|
|Litigation | Insurance||Peter Woodsfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 3 364 3816|
|Employment||Kathryn McKinney - Head of Practiceemail@example.com||+64 9 920 9267|
|Retirement villages||Michelle Burke - Head of Practicefirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 356 2626|
|Retirement villages||Jenny Baldwinemail@example.com||+64 9 356 2628|
|Trust and Asset Planning||Simon Weil - Head of Practicefirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 920 6470|
|Mr Tim Barclay||Partner – Head of Practice | Property||View Profile|
|Ms Pip Breitmeyer||Senior Associate | Banking and Finance||View Profile|
|Mr Gerard Cleary||Partner, Resource Management||View Profile|
|Mr Chris Dann||Partner – Head of Practice | Corporate Advisory | Logistics and Transport||View Profile|
|Mr Daniel French||Partner | Property||View Profile|
|Mr David Gould||Partner | Corporate Advisory||View Profile|
|Ms Jessica Hanning||Senior Associate | Litigation||View Profile|
|Ms Chloe Jolliffe||Special Counsel | Insolvency and Corporate Recovery||View Profile|
|Mr Nigel Oliver||Partner, Head of Practice | Banking and Finance||View Profile|
|Mr Richard Smedley||Partner | Litigation||View Profile|
|Mr Crispin Vinnell||Partner – Insolvency and Corporate Recovery||View Profile|
|Mr Murray Weakley||Partner | Property||View Profile|
|Mr Peter Woods||Partner | Litigation||View Profile|
|Ms Jordan Wright||Associate | Corporate Advisory||View Profile|