Fangda Partners > Hong Kong, Hong Kong > Firm Profile
Fangda Partners Offices
26/F, One Exchange Square
8 CONNAUGHT PLACE, CENTRAL
Fangda Partners > The Legal 500 RankingsFangda Partners is particularly well-positioned to advise China-based investors seeking to develop infrastructure and power projects as part of the Belt & Road Initiative. Michael Tam has vast experience across a range of energy, infrastructure and power projects throughout Asia and leads an ‘impressive‘ team that also includes Joe Biqing Zhou, a specialist in cross-border M&A, infrastructure and energy outbound investments.
Other key lawyers:
Shenzhen Energy Group
China Merchants Group
The Airport Authority Hong Kong
CRRC Corporation Limited
Yanchang Petroleum Group (Hong Kong) Co., Ltd.
China Merchants Port Holdings Company Limited
China-Africa Development Fund
International Djibouti Industrial Parks Operation FZCO
Hongkong Electric (Natural Gas) Limited
China Harbour Engineering Company Ltd.
CGN Capital Partners Infrastructure Fund III L.P.
State Grid Corporation of China
Taihu Holding and Greenland Group
Beijing Urban Construction Group
HOPU Fund Management Company Limited
- Advised Shenzhen Energy Group on the development, financing, construction and operation of the 180MW Ramu II Hydropower Plant in Papua New Guinea.
- Advised a China Merchants Group entity on the redevelopment of a historical port in Djibouti into the East Africa International Special Business Zone.
- Advised on the financing, construction, development and operation of a deep-water port terminal and related development in Myanmar.
Other key lawyers:
‘Colin Law has strong professional skills, can respond to various consulting questions of the company in a timely manner, and has a scholarly demeanor.’
JW (Cayman) Therapeutics Co. Ltd
Southwest Securities (HK) Capital Limited
Agricultural Bank of China Limited
Jinxin Fertility Group Limited
Shandong Fengxiang Co., Ltd.
WuXi Biologics (Cayman) Inc.
WuXi Biologics Holdings Limited
Ant Group Co., Ltd.
Cheshi Holdings Limited
Haina Intelligent Equipment International Holdings Limited
Shanghai Fudan-Zhangjiang Bio-Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
C-MER Eye Care Holdings Limited
Shandong International Trust Co., Ltd.
Bawang International (Group) Holding Limited
G-Resources Group Limited
Dialog Group Berhad
Dialog Corporate Sdn Bhd
CITIC Private Equity
‘The team provides a great example of smart collective and coordinated work, the client feels understood and proactively supported, things are fluid and simple. Impressive reactivity. Individuals are all available and pleasant to work with.’
‘Colin Law has extensive knowledge of the regional markets and practice, provides most adequate advice on deals structuring and negotiations, comes across superbly with the M&A and finance teams, is accessible, fully available and very pleasant to work with.’
‘Team members, especially the leading lawyers, have rich M&A experience.‘
‘Colin Law has extensive experience in M&A, which is not only reflected in his knowledge on relevant legal provisions, but also in his judgement and control of project situations. He has excellent communication and coordination skills, understands the demands of all parties, and properly balance the interests of all parties in the given solution, thus effectively promoting the progress of the project.‘
‘Colin Law has extensive experience in M&A especially transactions under the takeovers code. He is one of the preferred lawyers.‘
‘The team is able to operate well both in Mainland China and Hong Kong capital markets, especially in the service of M&A transactions of Chinese listed companies in Hong Kong, and understands Mainland capital market, regulatory requirements as well as Hong Kong capital market requirements, so as to provide excellent “one-stop” solutions for clients. They also offer a package of competitive fees of Mainland + Hong Kong.‘
‘Fangda Law Firm has excellent strength in Mainland China. In recent years, it has also increased personnel investment in Hong Kong capital market, further enhancing the comprehensive strength of Fangda Mainland and Hong Kong‘.
Haier Electronics Group Co., Ltd.
TCL Technology Group Co., Ltd.
EF Education First
ASM Pacific Technology Limited
Sunny Sea Global Limited
Shanghai Wanye Enterprises
Ever Harmonic Global Limited
Brilliance International Holding Limited, Golden Fair (Holding) Limited
Jinxin Fertility Group Limited
Huadian Fuxin Energy Corporation Limited
Suez (Asia) Limited
- Advised Moonton Technology on its acquisition by ByteDance, one of the largest and most influential deals in the video games industry history.
- Advised Haier Electronics Group Co., Ltd. (1169.HK) on its privatisation by way of a scheme of arrangement, which is the largest privatisation transaction of a Hong Kong-listed company in 2020.
- Advised TCL Technology Group Co., Ltd. and its subsidiary in its strategic acquisition of Samsung’s 8.5th generation LCD production line in Suzhou.
Hong Kong > Private equity Tier 4With a number of offices in mainland China, Fangda Partners is well placed to handle work in the Greater China market and is well regarded for public company transactions led out of its Hong Kong office. It advises on a number of large private equity and venture capital financing transactions under the leadership of Colin Law.
Other key lawyers:
Wei Chen (Hong Kong/Beijing)
Aspex Master Fund
Softbank Vision Fund
CICC Culture Consumption Industry Equity Investment Fund (Xiamen) Partnership (Limited Partnership)
- Advised PAG on its pre-IPO investment in China Youran Dairy Group Limited.
- Advised Alibaba and Aspex Master Fund in the pre-IPO investments of Xpeng, one of China’s leading smart electric vehicle companies.
- Advised IDG Capital as a lead investor in its participation in the Series B financing of Voyager Group Inc., being the autonomous vehicles development arm of Didi group.
‘Very knowledgeable while can also deliver practical advice.’
‘Responsive and responsible.’
‘They are very experienced and resourceful.’
‘Very creative at coming up with solutions.’
‘They have rich experience and deep expertise.’
‘Very resourceful. They can help connect us with helpful contacts.’
Vision Knight Capital
- Represented Morgan Stanley on the structuring and formation of its third flagship RMB Fund in China.
- Advised Sequoia Capital on the structuring and formation of its first, second and third qualified foreign limited partnership (“QFLP”) funds in Hainan.
- Assisted Boyu Capital with the structuring and formation of its fourth flagship RMB Fund, Boyu RMB Fund IV.
Fangda Partners > Firm Profile
The firm: Founded in 1993, Fangda Partners is a full-service law firm advising on PRC and Hong Kong laws.
One firm approach; We have approximately 700 lawyers in our five offices in major Chinese cities: Beijing, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Shenzhen. We operate as a single, integrated partnership, not as an alliance of lawyers in different locations.
Our lawyers collaborate seamlessly across practice groups and locations to provide our clients with exceptional service, sophisticated advice and practical solutions founded on our legal expertise, sound knowledge of market practice, deep understanding of the industry landscape and proven ability to assist our clients achieve their business objectives.
Firm of choice for the most difficult legal issues; We are the firm of choice for businesses requiring solutions to their most difficult and complex legal issues. Leading companies and financial institutions in China and around the world turn to us for legal representation or counseling on their most significant legal and business challenges, whether transactions or disputes.
Cross-border capabilities with a China edge: We are known for our cross-border capabilities with a China edge.Our team consists of lawyers qualified in Australia, England and Wales, Singapore, US, Hong Kong and the PRC.
The diversity of our professionals and our strong local law capabilities enable us to bridge legal, regulatory, language and cultural differences that clients inevitably face in transactions and disputes involving multiple jurisdictions.
At the forefront of Chinese commercial practice: We have been at the forefront of the development of commercial law practice in China for over two decades.
We have a proven track record advising clients on groundbreaking transactions or defending them in unprecedented disputes. Some selected notable matters on which we have advised include:
- First initial public offering by a Chinese company involving an international underwriter
- The first domestic listing by a company incorporated outside the PRC (so-called red chip company)
- Formation of the first open-end mutual fund in China
- First foreign acquisition of a controlling stake in a Chinese public company
- First FRAND litigation in China
- Representing the claimant in obtaining the first injunction in an IP litigation under Chinese procedural law
- First public interest environmental litigation brought by an NGO against a multinational company in China
Areas of practice: The firm serves both PRC and international clients in various industries. Practices include
- Asset-backed securities
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Compliance and government enforcement
- Dispute resolution
- Energy and infrastructure
- Financial institutions
- General industries
- Insolvency and restructuring
- Intellectual property
- Investment funds
- Investment management
- Labor and employment
- Life sciences and healthcare
- Private equity
- Real estate and construction
- Technology, media and telecommunications