Allen & Gledhill LLP > Singapore, Singapore > Firm Profile
Allen & Gledhill LLP Offices
ONE MARINA BOULEVARD
Allen & Gledhill LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsAllen & Gledhill LLP has a highly developed antitrust and competition practice with a large team of competition specialists and a team of dedicated economists within its ranks. It continues to have a significant market share of merger control engagements, advising on 11 out of 12 mergers publicly reviewed by the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore in 2021. The group is also active in the cartels space and has landed an impressive client base. Eminent practitioner Daren Shiau is regional co-head of the competition and antitrust practice, alongside chief economist Elsa Chen. Scott Clements is another experienced contentious and non-contentious competition specialist, and Desiree Lim is a key senior associate.
‘The Allen & Gledhill team is unrivalled in its skill and experience in competition law in Singapore and ASEAN. It is the only practice where all lawyers and economists are 100% focused on competition law, just as you would expect from the top antitrust practices in Brussels and Washington DC.’
‘Allen & Gledhill is head and shoulders above its competitors in expertise and executions.’
‘Veteran Daren Shiau is the most well-established and pedigreed lawyer in the industry; he is polished, articulate, and unsurpassed in his ability to deliver results. Anecdotally, when contentious competition issues arise, clients rush to instruct him first. I do not know of anyone who exceeds his knowledge of the law and the regulators.’
‘Partners Elsa Chen and Scott Clements are both very highly-ranked competition practitioners. This team has the deepest competition bench in Singapore and the region.’
‘Their star associate is Desiree Lim.’
‘I was impressed by Elsa Chen in particular. She is very responsive, excellent in addressing client’s questions and good at handling complex issues with care and sensitivity. She has a wealth of experience to draw on and is able to give insights on matters and add significant value based on recent deal experience. She also offers sound advice on complex issues.’
‘Elsa Chen’s star continues to rise. She has her finger on the pulse of cases and manages to cut through the issues and zooms into what matters. Brings a fresh perspective on competition matters from her economist background.’
‘Scott Clements is exceptional, with a strong strategic sense and ability to guide complex matters through the CCCS. Daren Shiau likewise is extraordinary.’
- Advised Aon, as lead Singapore antitrust counsel, on the $30bn proposed business combination of Aon and Willis Towers Watson.
- Advised Cargotec Corporation and Konecranes as lead antitrust counsel on a merger agreement entered into between the parties.
- Advised Korean Air Lines and Asiana Airlines on the $1.6bn acquisition by Korean Air of a majority stake in Asiana.
‘Leading firm with well-established and wide scope of practice areas. The team is at the forefront of industry trends and developments and is renowned for being the go-to firm for landmark transactions.’
‘Partner Lim Wei Ting is an outstanding counsel with unique combination of sharp legal mind and astute understanding of commercial considerations. Profoundly impressed with his rigorous analysis and comprehensive consideration of issues. An industry-leading practitioner who provides valuable perceptive advice. Possesses strong work ethic.’
‘Efficient, precise, able to advise and provide solutions, prompt turnaround, responsive / adhere to timelines.’
‘Key lawyers that made the difference : Mark Hudspeth, Lim Wei Ting and Aloysius Ng.’
‘Arguably the most pre-eminent player in the Singapore market. The team is dynamic with a strong penchant for distilling legal considerations into commercial decision points especially vis-a-vis their other competitors.’
‘Our go-to partner in A&G is Lim Wei Ting. We value his ability to think quickly on his feet and sound advice based on his understanding of the underlying issues / considerations. He is always available for discussions and provides good turnaround time for his engagements.’
- Advised DBS Bank Ltd. and United Overseas Bank Limited on the S$6.45bn term loan facility to CLA Real Estate Holdings Pte. Ltd.
- Advised DBS Bank Ltd., United Overseas Bank Limited and Sumitomo MitsuiBanking Corporation Singapore Branch, as mandated lead arrangers and bookrunners, on the S$1.8bn term loan facility to Boulevard View Pte. Ltd. to finance its acquisition of the Marina View white site located in Singapore’s Central Business District.
- Advised ARA Asset Management Limited on the US$1bn facility agreement with DBS Bank Ltd., Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation Singapore Branch, Malayan Banking Berhad, Singapore Branch, The Bank of EastAsia, Limited, Singapore Branch and Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has exceptional and unique qualities in client services delivery. In particular, the team has very strong industry knowledge and experience in the REITs sector and hence is able to carry out advisory work on any corporate actions or general matters with proficiency, competence and professionalism.’
‘Jerry Koh (Managing Partner) is very dedicated and committed in ensuring that the client’s needs is well taken care of. He would always ensure that lines of communication remain open and he is very responsive and attentive to his clients. He is an exceptional leader with great personality and a wealth of knowledge.’
‘Long Pee Hua (Partner) has been very helpful in addressing the client’s needs. She has displayed professionalism and expertise in all our engagements with her.’
‘Tze Gay Tan and her team are professional, prompt and on top of their craft. A pleasure to work with them, especially with their commercial mindset to assist clients.’
‘Gave practical and prompt advice. Strong execution ability.’
‘Margaret Chin and Fabian Tan are recommended.’
- Advised two cornerstone investors S$200m initial public offering and listing of Vertex Technology Acquisition Corporation Ltd on the Mainboard of the Singapore ExchangeSecurities Trading Limited.
- Assisted Digital Core REIT Management Pte. Ltd. in the US$977m initial public offering of Digital Core REIT.
- Advised National Environment Agency on the establishment of its S$3bn multicurrency medium term note programme and issue of S$350m 1.67per cent. notes due 2031 and S$1.3bn 2.50 per cent. notes due 2051 under the Programme.
- Advised Bayfront Infrastructure Capital II Pte. Ltd. , a wholly owned subsidiary of Bayfront Infrastructure Management Pte. Ltd., on the issue of five classes of investment grade rated notes.
- Advised United Overseas Bank Limited, as arranger and programme dealer, on the establishment of a S$500m secured medium term note programme, and the issue of S$109m 2.85 per cent. Class A1 sustainability-linked notes due 2026, and S$36m 3.65 per cent. Class A2A sustainability-linked notes due 2026 by M&T Investments Pte. Ltd.
- Assisted Astrea 7 Pte. Ltd., as transaction counsel, on the issue of S$526m Class A-1 Secured Fixed Rate Bonds due 2032, US$175m Class A-2 Secured Fixed Rate Bonds due 2032, and US$200 million Class B Secured Fixed Rate Bonds due 2032.
‘Allen & Gledhill’s construction lawyers are sincere and helpful. They are readily available to listen and answer to you queries that fall outside the matter.’
‘Both Ho Chien Mien and Lim Dao Kai are frank and honest, and care very much for their clients. They have this extra-ordinary flair of speaking their minds with clarity.’
‘Sathiaseelan Jagateesan grasps clients’ concerns very quickly and gives swift advice that is easy to understand and use.’
‘The firm is professional, up to date with industry practices and able to balance the various considerations while underpinning this with solid legal advice. Partner-level handling and understanding of our business and stakeholder management issues is a huge positive.’
‘Allen and Gledhill is a full-service pre-eminent Singaporean firm with an expanding presence in Asia. It is excellent both technically and to deal with the full range of matters. Operates seamlessly as a team. As a client, you are never left with the feeling of being passed from one team to another.’
‘Ho Chien Mien leads a world-class construction law team. He is utterly dedicated to supporting his clients, is wonderfully responsive and has an excellent team of associates in place. He combines the rare ability of being a technically excellent lawyer, much appreciated by legal teams for his drafting skills and legal knowledge, with an ability to translate legal issues into relatable advice to non-lawyers and a vast knowledge of the commercial aspects of construction projects. Ho Chien Mien, always delightful to deal with, inspires absolute confidence – his legal erudition and pre-eminence coupled with his commercial pragmatism, wisdom and experience lends a calm and reassuring presence to any client involvement.’
‘The construction team which I have worked with has gained client’s strong trust and confidence over the years. They are able to comfortably manage both routine and complex matters, as well as non-contentious and contentious matters. They have good resourcing in order to address matters with urgent timelines without compromising legal quality and work accuracy. Their billing arrangements have also been fair.’
‘Sathiaseelan Jagateesan is an outstanding construction practitioner. His legal skills and knowledge are outstanding. He is commercially savvy and makes the effort to understand technical issues. He is able to bridge the communications gap with engineers and other non-legal professionals to find practical solutions in sensitive disputes. He is a great asset to have on your side.’
- Advising Mandai Park Development on the project documentation relating to the rejuvenation of Mandai into an integrated nature and wildlife destination in Singapore.
- Acting as project counsel to Cambodia Airport Investment, the joint venture responsible for developing the new airport for Phnom Penh in the Kandal province which, when completed, will be one of the largest airports in the world covering 2,600 hectares of land.
- Acting for Dragages as the 1st Defendant in the quantum tranche of a suit in the Singapore High Court brought by a landmark office complex owner in connection with the dispute over the construction of Centennial Tower, a 35-storey Grade 1 prime office building.
Other key lawyers:
‘Extremely strong in resolving intricate legal issues through a combination of (a) deep expertise and intellect of the partners involved, and (b) strong rapport with securities regulator.’
‘Lim Mei is among the most highly respected M&A legal advisers in the country, sitting at the very peak of the legal profession. Her advice is always accurate, complete and commercial in outlook. Clients have deep trust in her abilities. Lim Mei is accessible to clients and absolutely trustworthy.
‘Christopher Koh is valued for his tenacity, cogent advice, calmness under pressure, and patient demeanor.’
‘Great and seamless teamwork across the different disciplines led by the account partner, Richard Young. The team is very responsive and effective with practical advice.’
‘Richard Young provides practical legal advice, and does not shy away from providing out-of-the-box commercial considerations to guide the clients to reach win-win solutions and deals.’
‘A&G is the top corporate/ M&A firm in Singapore. They are held in high regard by the Exchange and Commission. Successful applications for rulings on exceptions have been obtained by them which greatly helped the transaction/ costs. They are fairly accurate on budget estimates unless due to protracted negotiations. The firm also ensures there are no commercial conflicts as they can China wall a full team.’
‘Christopher Koh. He is good at giving a holistic and clear view and readily understands the commercial priorities of the client. He has a professional negotiating style that gets him respected at the table and he is adept at handling different personalities with clear view of the objectives at hand. He gives good practical advice that is concise and usable.’
- Advised CapitaLand Limited, as transaction counsel, on the demerger of CapitaLand Investment Management Limited and subsequent take private by CLA Real Estate Holdings Pte. Ltd, the existing controlling shareholder of the CapitaLand, by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Advised SCM, as transaction counsel, on its combination framework agreement with Bayberry Limited and Keppel Corporation Limited, pursuant to which the parties have agreed to take certain steps to effect the combination of the businesses of SCM and Keppel Offshore & Marine Ltd, such that SCM and KOM will be held as wholly-owned subsidiaries of the Combined Entity.
- Advised SPH, as transaction counsel, on the S$3.8 billion privatisation offer by Keppel Pegasus Pte. Ltd. and the S$3.9 billion competing privatisation offer by Cuscaden Peak Pte. Ltd.
Other key lawyers:
‘An excellent team, strong mix of highly knowledgeable individuals, works extremely hard in addressing clients’ interests. Practical and timely legal advice, commercially astute, professional and dedicated.’
‘William Ong is very approachable and people friendly. He communicates his ideas simply and clearly. Melissa Mak is especially adept at handling complex legal problems. Benjamin Koh has an eye for details and extremely conscientious.’
‘The team led by Vincent Leow is solution-oriented without compromising on legal technicalities. They are able to decipher complex transactions and extract relevant points to prepare our case. They are able to grasp our commercial concerns and propose clear, definitive and workable options as solutions for us to consider.’
‘Ramesh Kumar is able to provide advice not just on the issue at hand but also provide insight and strategic directions.’
‘Tan Xeauwei and her team are dependable, offer solid legal advice and can be counted on to problem-solve. You don’t have to worry about whether an idea is practical or will work in the commercial world – because Xeauwei has already done that for you. She thinks 10 steps ahead and brings her A-game – all the time!’
‘We appreciate Dinesh Dhillon’s straightforward approach, intricate knowledge of procedure and ability to formulate an effective strategy.’
‘The experience and depth of Senior Counsel Stanley Lai’s legal expertise was clearly a major factor in the excellent outcome that was acheived. He was strongly supported by a capable team.’
‘Vincent Leow is particularly good at giving practical, crisp advice while taking into account practical considerations. He understands the business well.’
- Represented ARR, a Hong Kong incorporated creative studio and art exhibitions organiser, in a dispute relating to the organisation of the KAWS:HOLIDAY Singapore exhibition.
- Acted for one of the two Deputy Public Prosecutors, who faced disciplinary proceeding following a high-profile acquittal in a criminal case.
- Represented the liquidators of PHCQ, the operator of the former Park Hotel Clarke Quay, in a claim against the former sole director and chief executive officer of PHCQ, for breach of fiduciary duties, breach of trust and transactions defrauding creditors.
‘Adrian Ang is our go-to counsel for all compliance matters. He is always able to offer solutions that help us achieve our business needs while complying with all regulations. He draws from his vast experience with MAS and financial regulatory matters to offer the most sound advice on which we can always rely.’
‘Alexander Yap is highly astute and very much up to date/in tune with latest constructs/practices.’
‘The depth of institutional knowledge about regulatory matters and strong relationship with the MAS sets the firm apart. Heads and shoulders above the competition in this practice area. Karen Tiah and Catherine Neo are practical, solution-oriented and approachable.’
‘Ability to address a wide range of legal issues in the fintech space. Adrian Ang is knowledgeable and responsive.’
‘We rely on Allen & Gledhill (A&G) for all of our corporate and compliance needs. It serves as our corporate secretary. It advises us on all our compliance matters and represents us in all matters dealing with MAS. A&G is always able to offer practical advice that is considerate of our business needs and concerns.’
‘A&G always responds very quickly and concisely to any questions we ask. In particular, Adrian Ang is a very reliable and competent lawyer. Adrian offers more than cost-effective legal services with an excellent service spirit. He is also an outstanding leader.’
‘Excellent practical and commercial legal advice even in light of complex and/or frontier regulatory issues. Solid industry knowledge and marketing sensing.’
‘The Allen & Gledhill fintech and financial regulatory practice consists of highly talented individuals, mostly from prestigious UK universities. They have abundant experience in dealing with key regulatory bodies (including the MAS), as well as key clientele in the fintech space. As fintechs endeavour to pursue business models which are new (hence may not have a fixed framework in terms of regulation), while explaining and persuading these new businesses to regulatory bodies are challenging, the A&G team provides clear guidance in navigating Singapore’s laws.’
- Advised consortium of financial institutions on the setting up of Climate Impact X, a marketplace and exchange that allows a customer to browse, compare and buy carbon credits directly from a curated selection of high-impact projects.
- Advised the DBS group on the setting up of a digital exchange, enabling institutional investors and accredited investors to tap into a fully integrated tokenisation, trading and custody ecosystem for digital assets.
- Advising HSBC on the Singapore regulatory issues arising from its acquisition of 100% of the issued share capital of AXA Insurance Pte. Ltd.
‘Dr Stanley Lai SC always provides his excellent professional advice in a timely manner.’
‘The firm has practical know-how in providing solutions and is a full-service firm. They hear out our feedback and concerns and factor these into consideration when rendering their advice. The firm actively organises webinars to keep their clients abreast of the latest developments in the legal arena and other topics of interest. Members of their firm’s trademark/IP team have also been named in legal journals as being experts in the field.’
‘Generally reliable and responsive service from Low Pei Lin, Partner, which leverages on the firm’s understanding of our business and trademark portfolio gained over the years through the firm handling our matters.’
‘Works on every detail to support the case with very strong IP law knowledge’
‘Stanley Lai, with his very strong IP law knowledge.’
‘Their deep understanding of technologies in the context of the specific business industry and each client’s strategy.’
- Advised Allrightsreserved on a dispute relating to the organisation of the KAWS:HOLIDAY Singapore exhibition.
- Advised AbbVie Operations Singapore on the commencement of an action in the High Court of Singapore against its former employee Ho Rongzan for, among other things, unauthorised use of AbbVie’s confidential information / trade secrets, and breach of the non-competition clause and non-solicitation clause in his employment contract.
- Acted for SingNet in proceedings before the High Court of Singapore for alleged copyright infringement in relation to the use of musical works in programmes shown on channels on the Singtel TV television service.
‘The investment funds team generally provides prompt advice and high quality work product. Where required, the investment funds team is able collaborate with other practice areas within the firm to provide holistic advice.’
‘Lai Shieh Lin is knowledgeable about the relevant laws and regulations, as is to be expected. What we really appreciate as a client is the practical advice she provides for more complex issues based on her experience. Shieh Lin is also good at client management – she is responsive and ensures the delivery of quality work product from her team.’
‘The knowledge base and experience levels are high. But what really differentiates A&G from others is their proactivity, the quality of proposed solutions to problems, consistency of service and the relationship management is very high.’
‘Lai Shieh Lin is a very good listener and understands the needs and risk appetite of ours. Further, the tailoring of solutions for us whenever we have needed it is one of the key reasons we value her work.’
‘The team at the senior level has been stable and are very experienced in their subject matter. This translates into practical and constructive legal advice for the business. It is clear there is collaboration within the team.’
‘The A&G team is very commercial. It understands the needs of global asset managers and is able to give practical and actionable advice.’
‘Jonathan Lee’s team is always responsive and never fails to meet the deadlines. First rate team when it comes to REIT and fund transactions and structuring.’
‘Victoria Leong was very impressive even though she is a relatively young partner.’
- Acted as lead fund counsel to DBS Bank on the establishment of the DBS I.D.E.A. Fund.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to GLP on the establishment and final close of its flagship Japan logistics development fund, GLP Japan Development Partners IV.
- Advised GMO on the recognition and offer of the GMO Climate Change Investment Fund to the retail public in Singapore.
‘The members of the team work seamlessly together and delivery is always excellent, no matter which member handles the work.’
‘The partner I work with is Vincent Leow. He is very sharp, spots and addresses the issues promptly and consistently and is very solutions oriented. I appreciate the fact that he is always available and very prompt in his reply.’
‘We exclusively used Tay Yong Seng, who has a 100% success rate over nine different, contentious litigations, so I have no desire to use any other firm or individual.’
‘Tay Yong Seng and his team are extremely sharp, with a high level of commercial intelligence and perspective.’
‘Tay Yong Seng is precise, informed, and is able to quickly pick up cultural and commercial cues from clients, allowing him to best communicate and calibrate his advice.’
‘Strong and collaborative team. Keen to understand needs of the client and provide solutions from a practical point of view, looking into balancing the requirements of the law and the corporate environment.’
‘Vincent Leow is particularly good at combining good legal advice with practical considerations. He understands business realities very well.’
- Acted for IP Investment Funds in Singapore’s first Civil Court action for personal data breaches by an employee under the Personal Data Protection Act.
- Acted as lead counsel for BGC in an ongoing commercial dispute in the Singapore High Court, relating to the defendants tendering their resignation to ICAP, but subsequently refusing to join the BCG.
Other key lawyers:
‘A great team of lawyers with diverse domain expertise ready to come together to provide a holistic solution to issues.’
- Advised Keppel Telecommunications & Transportation Limited on a sale of indefeasible right of use to Converge ICT Solutions.
- Advised responsAbility Access to Clean Power Fund S.A., SICAV-SIF and Global Climate Partnership Fund S.A., SICAV-SIF, with their investment manager on impact investing.
- Acted in the original project financing for the Lenders in 2015 for the S$1.5 billion restructuring of Hyflux’s debt.
‘The team has a wealth of experience handling complex legal structures. The team has strong technical knowledge and industry expertise. Partner, Ernest Teo, is supported by a team of associates who are well trained and technically sound.’
‘Ernest Teo is very capable and commercially minded. He is responsive and able to tackle complex legal structures and considerations effortlessly. Ernest is fully on top of all legal developments and keeps us updated of changes. Ernest consistently provides commercially driven solutions and communicates in a clear and concise manner.’
‘Smart, knowledgeable, easy going, disciplined and efficient members.’
‘A&G’s Real Estate practice is one of the largest in Singapore and as a result, they have experience in wide spectrum of work including complex real estate transactions. Their drafting standards are very high as their lawyers are generally very well-trained. They are also technically very strong and because of the breadth of their experience, they have a good feel of what is market and hence are able to advise clients in a commercial manner.’
‘The A&G Real Estate team led by Ho Kin San is our first choice of law firm in real estate work. Ho Kin San is supported by a team of very competent partners, namely Shalene Jin, Tan Boon Wah, Lyn Wee, Eudora Tan to name a few.’
‘A&G is a full service firm that provides industry-leading standards across corporate and real estate work.’
‘Good depth and breadth of knowledge with a good team mix available at short notice to provide assistance to us with holistic global solutions.’
‘Hoo Sheau Farn has a deep domain knowledge of all areas related to her work and has a broad commercial perspective which she applies with a very customer-centric lens to every issue we face in our projects. Practical, efficient and effective advice always.’
- Advised CapitaLand Singapore on its joint venture with HSBC Institutional Trust Services (Singapore), in its capacity as trustee of Ascendas Real Estate Investment Trust, in relation to the acquisition of the leasehold interest in 1 Science Park Drivefrom A-REIT and the redevelopment of the Property.
- Advised Soilbuild Group Holdings on the S$900m acquisition of all the issued units in Soilbuild Business Space REIT by way of a Trust Scheme of Arrangement and forward sale of certain assets held by SBGH entities.
- Advised Frasers Logistics & Commercial Asset Management, as manager of Frasers Commercial Trust, on the S$810m divestment by Frasers Commercial Trust of its leasehold interest in and to the whole of Lot 617A of Town Subdivision 4 together with the development known as Cross Street Exchange to SCC Straits.
‘Forward thinking, handles complex issues with ease. Provides out of the box solutions.’
‘Alexander Yeo is top notch when it comes to considering issues with a 360 view point and anticipating next moves. Strategically brilliant.’
‘The A&G team has deep experience in this area which we heavily rely on, They are very responsive and while strong in the law, are also very pragmatic.’
‘Tham Hsu Hsien is my go-to person and I an always rely on him to provide strong and practical advice. He is very responsive and easy to work with. He takes the time to understand the issues from a commercial perspective and finds solutions.’
- Advised multiple major bank and non-bank creditorsvin relation to the judicial management of Hin Leong Trading, Ocean Tankers and Xihe Holdings, and the subsequent liquidation of HLT and OT.
- Advised an informal steering committee of lenders holding $1.34bn of debt on the restructuring of Pacific International Lines.
- Advised various creditors on the S$1.5bn restructuring of Hyflux.
‘Allen & Gledhill is the Rolls Royce of law firms. Service minded, impeccable quality and efficient. They understand the commercial drivers and run a truly unique practice.’
‘Kenny Yap – I have been working with Kenny for close to a decade. He has got significant on-the-ground experience and is knowledgeable, accessible and responsive. Also provides pragmatic advice not just academic. He will also patiently explain the concepts and reasons for his advice.’
‘Erik Widjaja – I have been working with Erik since he was the senior associate and now partner. Kenny Yap and Erik are a great team! Similar to Kenny, Erik is very experienced and knowledgeable. With his Bahasa capability, he is also well equipped for the Indonesia aspect, if need be. Like Kenny, he’s also very accessible and responsive. Erik will also include his recommendation instead of just providing academic advice which some law firms do.’
‘A&G’s shipping department possesses a good mix of deep understanding of shipping laws, the ability to distill the relevant bits (and explain these to a lay person) and the ability to render business-friendly legal advice. Terrific value for money legal advice and the lawyers there are a pleasure to work with. Very responsive and on-point legal advice. With the scope and breadth of the various matters that they had experience dealing with, all these translate to a good understanding of the client’s businesses and what would be in a client’s best interests.’
‘Kenny Yap is the joint-head of the shipping department and he epitomises all that is good with A&G. Very professional and has the rare ability to “level” with the client when it comes to business concerns/considerations. Very often, he is able to help identify the clients’ blind spots in the commercial decision-making process and he plays the role of a business partner very well.’
‘The A&G team provides very timely, comprehensive and actionable advice. The partners have deep in-depth knowledge of the shipping industry and are always available to respond to queries. They can be trusted to provide the best advice for the client’s best interest in the transaction.’
‘Gina Lee-Wan has tremendous in-depth knowledge of any shipping transaction and always takes great effort to make sure that the best commercial advice is provided in the best interest of the client. Soh Yin Chuin also possesses in-depth knowledge of a shipping transaction and will respond to clients’ queries expeditiously and will professionally and efficiently “hold the client’s hands”.’
- Advised multiple major bank and non-bank creditors with high-value claims, in relation to the then judicial management and presently the liquidation of Hin Leong Trading, Ocean Tankers and Xihe Holdings.
- Acted for an oil major and its former authorised trader, in defending claims made by a Canadian company and its alleged financier arising out of fraudulent and/or non-existent contracts which the Canadian company alleged it had entered into with the defendants.
- Advised an informal steering committee of lenders holding $1.34bn of debt on the restructuring of Pacific International Lines.
‘As a relatively young company, we value them for giving valuable insights, they know venture capital very well. They also gave a proper guide throughout the transaction.’
‘Julian Ho understands venture capital very well. He has very sharp thinking with excellent communication skills.’
‘This team is strong and has a deep bench, including three partners focused on this sector.’
‘Of the local firms, this is clearly the strongest team in terms of numbers and profile in the market, acting for all the major investors in the VC space.’
‘Christian Chin and Nicholas Soh I rate very highly. Christian is one of the leading individuals in the VC sector in Singapore, with a deep knowledge of negotiations and technical acumen. Nicholas has exceptional technical skills and a deeply commercially focused approach to lawyering.’
‘Nicholas Soh in particular was phenomenal in getting things done. His attention to detail and availability to answer queries helped in moving things along quickly.’
‘Very much aware of industry practices on both the buy and sell sides.’
‘Julian Ho is highly technical and reliable.’
- Advised Ivanhoe, a NYSE-listed special purpose acquisition company, on its business combination agreement with SES Holdings Pte. Ltd.
- Advised Smash Capital and Insight Partners on their US$690m investment in Coda Payments, a digital content monetisation platform based in Singapore.
- Advised Softbank Vision Fund 2, who co-led the Series D financing round of Advance AI which raised more than US$400m.
Singapore > Tax: local firms Tier 1The tax practice of Allen & Gledhill LLP provides broad expertise across all areas of Singapore tax, with a particular focus on tax advisory, structuring and planning services for major corporate and institutional clients, as well as resolution of tax issues, controversies and disputes with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (“IRAS”). The firm also has experience seeking advance rulings and clearances from IRAS in relation to proposed schemes or transactions to be undertaken. Sunit Chhabra is practice head and specialises in tax and revenue law. Another key name in the team is Pek Bur Lim, who focuses on tax and wealth planning for ultra-high-net-worth clients.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Grab on various tax risk factors and other related issues to be highlighted to potential investors and shareholders in the offering documents and prospectus, related to its listing on NASDAQ.
- Advised SIA on the renounceable rights issue of mandatory convertible bonds (“MCBs”) to raise approximately S$6.2 billion (“Rights Issue”).
- Advised on tax issues related to the issue of US$2.5 billion guaranteed notes by Temasek Financial (I) Limited.
Singapore > TMT: local firms Tier 1The technology, media and telecommunications practice at Allen & Gledhill LLP has extensive experience in the full range of tech-related transactions involving disruptive technologies, cloud deployment and strategy, global data protection compliance and outsourcing projects. The team regularly negotiates and drafts contracts relating to outsourcing, e-commerce and biotechnology. Tham Kok Leong heads the technology and corporate IP practice, while head of telecommunications Tan Wee Meng is well-versed in employment matters in that sector. Stanley Lai specialises in IP litigation and information technology disputes. Alexander Yap and Eugene Ho focus on cybersecurity and collaboration agreements.
‘Practical, sound legal advice. Great value for money.’
‘Responsive, accommodating and a safe pair of hands when in crisis.’
‘This practice has a substantial team of tech-savvy lawyers that are knee-deep into cutting-edge legal work of anything that involves technology or intellectual property. They are adept at servicing clients in the technology sector given the breadth of complex legal issues they manage for their clients.’
‘Not only is the advice provided commercially sensible, I always appreciate how the team is always able to contextualize and comprehensively outline legal risks such that we are able to make decisions effectively and confidently. They have always demonstrated dedication, and produced a thorough and thoughtful work product.’
‘Having worked with the team for approximately 2 years, I’ve had the privilege of working with several partners and associates. I find it rare to find this level of consistently high quality individuals that make up the whole team. Further, even though the team is fairly large, they are always synchronized and up to speed on the various issues at all levels.’
‘Kok Leong as the lead partner on my matter is very involved in the day-to-day work that the team advises me on. Kok Leong and his team of associates, with special mention to Jean Chan and Daniel Ling, have always been able to guide the approach in understanding complex legal issues in a way that is systematic, comprehensive, and commercially sensible.’
‘I’ve also worked with other partners in the team such as Alexander Yap and Liew Wan Lin who are extremely knowledgeable and tech-savvy.’
‘Provides succinct, actionable advice on complex multi-jurisdictional matters. Hungry, responsive, yet always manages to keep the client’s needs in mind.’
- Advised the Government Technology Agency on Singapore’s national digital identity project and SingPass.
- Advised Keppel Telecommunications & Transportation Limited, through a wholly owned subsidiary on a sale of fiber.
‘Lee May Ling and her team are consistently knowledgeable and responsive. They are able to advise on a wide range of issues dealing with criminal investigations, regulatory reporting obligations, and trainings on dealing with unannounced government visits. The team has been flexible in accommodating a range of different work arrangements, and has the pragmatism and communication skills to deal with business stakeholders directly.’
‘The team closely collaborates with us and is timely in their advice and identification of issues. They are also decisive in their opinion and have a very good commercial understanding of the business. The team takes both a strategic view of the matter, but goes into the details for analysis.’
‘Vincent Leow is extremely approachable and is always available. He is very sharp and able to identify the issues and analyses them well.’
‘The partner I work with is Vincent Leow. He is very sharp, spots and addresses the issues promptly and consistently, and is very solutions oriented. I appreciate the fact that he is always available and very prompt in his reply.’
‘Strong legal expertise in both the technical and practical sense. Able to give invaluable guidance with good knowledge and familiarity with processes in investigations. Advice rendered is always clear, balanced and fair.’
‘Vincent Leow has excellent communication skills in being able to distil explanations of legal analyses in white collar legal investigation matters in terms that are effective for business persons to understand. This also gives clients the reassurance that the matter is in good hands. He demonstrates a strong sense of commitment in the matter and his analysis of the legal issues is always clear and logical.’
‘Sanjiv Rajan is fantastic to work with. He is incredibly knowledgeable, a straight shooter and is particularly skilled at understanding his clients.’
‘The white-collar crime desk at A&G will appear on the top list of go-to firms in Singapore as they are a full service outfit. They are very responsive and have good understanding of the processes of the relevant authorities, related employment and disciplinary processes. They also understand and proactively advise on the client’s media strategy in conjunction with internal PR and are adept at handling/ hand holding senior stakeholders throughout the process. They offer blended rates for the voluminous review process and options to minimise costs where practicable.’
- Acting for Essilor International SAS, the Paris-listed eyewear conglomerate that is the largest player in the eyewear market, in a transnational fraud case.
- Acted for Steep Rise, a company incorporated in the British Virgin Islands, in a challenge against the scope and validity of foreign restraint orders that were made against its bank accounts in Singapore.
‘A&G’s arbitration team is very well-versed in the principle and practice of international arbitration, and do a very professional job. Their written work is well-researched; well-organised; and very much to the point.’
‘Chong Yee Leong is a very polished and persuasive advocate.’
‘The firm’ pre-eminent status for corporate / commercial work carries through into dispute resolution.’
‘Clear, direct, commercial and calm.’
‘All of the lawyers I have worked with are passionate and committed to the task at hand. Their attention to detail and command over legal nuances is remarkable. They are easy to work with and flexible in their approach in every sense, be it their role in a matter or fee structures.’
‘Corina Song is a very well respected and regarded lawyer in the shipping community. I recently had the privilege of working with her at the recently concluded IBA Maritime conference which was organised and helmed by Corina and her colleagues at the IBA and SCMA. I value my association with A&G and look forward to continue working with them in the future.’
‘Ankit Goyal – Ankit is my point of contact at A&G. He is amiable and very easy to work with. Ankit has a solution oriented approach and priorities relationship over everything else.’
‘Vivekananda Neelakantan’s command over legal nuances is remarkable. He is also a great draftsman.’
- Acting for two subsidiaries of a US multinational company engaged in hydrocarbon exploration and production in proceedings before the Singapore High Court to enforce an arbitral award in excess of $400million.
Indonesia > Foreign firms Tier 2Allen & Gledhill LLP acts for domestic and international corporates on market entry strategies, corporate restructurings, acquisitions, technology ventures and divestments, as well as disputes, in Indonesia. On account of its association with Soemadipradja & Taher, the team is well-placed to handle cross-jurisdictional cases and provides an integrated service to regional clients. Oene Marseille splits his time between the firm’s offices in Singapore and Indonesia, and acts for international corporations and private investors on corporate and M&A transactions. Marseille jointly leads the practice alongside Prawiro Widjaja, who advises on M&As, restructurings and equity capital markets mandates in Singapore and Southeast Asia, with a focus on Indonesia. Aris Budi Prasetiyo is another key figure in the team, acting as international counsel.
Oene Marseille; Prawiro Widjaja
Other key lawyers:
- Acted for venture capital firm Square Peg, who led the US$35 million series B round investment in Pluang Technologies Pte. Ltd. and venture capital firm Accel, who led the US$55 million series C round investment in Pluang.
- Advised PayU on its participation in Ayoconnect’s Series B round of US$15 million, led by Tiger Global.
- Advised on the US$10 million Series A funding of AI Rudder, a voice AI start-up based in Singapore.
Retno Muljosantoso; Emalia Achmadi; Denia Isetianti Permata; Robert Reid; Oene Marseille
Capitaland Investment Ltd.
- Advised Capitaland Investment Ltd. on the Indonesian capital markets law aspects of an option agreement, including conducting due diligence exercises on the client’s subsidiaries in Indonesia.
Rahmat Soemadipradja; Retno Muljosantoso; Emalia Achmadi; Denia Isetianti Permata; Oene Marseille; Robert Reid
Square Peg Capital and Susquehanna International Group
Softbank Ventures Asia Corp
- Advised Byggfakta Group on a due diligence exercise involving one of its subsidiaries.
- Assisted Square Peg Capital and Susquehanna International Group with regards to the Series B investment in Pluang, a wealth-tech start up, by conducting a red-flag review of the five Indonesian entities as well as reviewing the transaction documents such as the convertible notes subscription agreement for compliance with Indonesian laws.
- Advised Softbank Ventures Asia Corp on a due diligence exercise pertaining to its Indonesian subsidiaries.
Retno Muljosantoso; Emalia Achmadi; Denia Isetianti Permata; Robert Reid; Oene Marseille
Allen & Gledhill LLP > Firm Profile
Allen & Gledhill is an award-winning full-service South-east Asian law firm which provides legal services to a wide range of clients. Established in 1902, the Firm is consistently ranked as a market leader in Singapore for every major practice area, having been involved in numerous challenging, complex, cutting-edge and significant deals. The Firm’s Partners are specialists in their areas of practice and many are widely recognised as leading legal experts by clients and peers.
Allen & Gledhill is renowned for delivering exceptional legal services in Singapore and South-east Asia. The Firm’s reputation for high-quality advice is regularly affirmed by its strong rankings in leading publications, and by the various awards and accolades it has received from independent commentators and clients. The Firm is consistently ranked tier one with the highest number of practice areas in the ranking exercises of leading publications, and is also one of the firms with the highest number of lawyers recognised as leading individuals during these ranking exercises. Over the years, the Firm has been named ‘Regional Firm of the Year’ and ‘Singapore Firm of the Year’ by many prominent legal publishers.
With its offices in Singapore, Myanmar and Vietnam, as well as its associate firm in Malaysia, Rahmat Lim & Partners, and its network firm in Indonesia, Soemadipradja & Taher, Allen & Gledhill is one of the largest law firms in South-east Asia with over 650 lawyers in its network across the region, and is well-placed to advise clients on their business interests in Singapore and beyond, particularly on matters involving South-east Asia and the Asian region.
Its associate firm in Malaysia, Rahmat Lim & Partners, located in Kuala Lumpur, is a full-service corporate and commercial law firm. Rahmat Lim & Partners is one of the fastest growing law firms in Malaysia. Its team of approximately 90 local lawyers is well-positioned to provide an invaluable combination of Malaysian law and practice, local insight of the Malaysian environment and context, as well as international best practices.
The Firm’s Myanmar office is based in Yangon. It is a fully licensed law firm which provides Myanmar legal advice, and issues Myanmar legal opinions. Both Myanmar and foreign qualified lawyers are familiar with the business environment, laws, regulations and practices of Myanmar to provide value-added advice and service to clients across key industry sectors.
Its network firm in Indonesia, Soemadipradja & Taher, based in Jakarta, is one of Indonesia’s largest independent full service law firms. Established in 1991, the firm is consistently ranked in the top tiers of legal publications and directories.
The Firm’s Vietnam office is based in Ho Chih Minh City. It is a fully licensed law firm which provides Vietnam legal advice, and issues Vietnam legal opinions. Both Vietnam and foreign qualified lawyers are familiar with the business environment, laws, regulations and practices of Vietnam to provide value-added advice and service to clients across key industry sectors.
Furthermore, Allen & Gledhill has strong working relationships with leading law firms worldwide, and serves both local and international clients on multi-jurisdictional transactions in South-east Asia, China, India, the Middle East, the United Kingdom, continental Europe and the United States of America. This experience allows the Firm to take on an effective lead counsel or project manager role in cross-border transactions.
Apart from providing legal services, the Firm is committed to acting as a responsible corporate citizen and to do good to effect positive changes in the ASEAN community. A principal focus is working in partnership with, or supporting, community and charitable organisations by providing them with expertise and skills, which brings an added dimension to its practice of the law. In addition to helping charities, it helps individuals through existing pro bono initiatives, where its lawyers volunteer at the Law Society of Singapore’s community legal clinics or take on criminal cases through the Law Society’s Criminal Legal Aid Scheme.
Allen & Gledhill collaborates closely with its clients, employees and the wider community in its CSR activities and initiatives.
Christina Ong (Chairman and Senior Partner)
Jerry Koh (Managing Partner)
|Corporate & Commercial||Kelvin Wongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+65 6890 7644|
|Corporate & Commercial||Daren Shiauemail@example.com||+65 6890 7612|
|Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions||Lim Meifirstname.lastname@example.org||+65 6890 7732|
|Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions||Christian Chinemail@example.com||+65 6890 7616|
|Corporate Real Estate||Ho Kin Sanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+65 6890 7928|
|Financial Services||Christina Ongemail@example.com||+65 6890 7700|
|Financial Services||Kok Chee Waifirstname.lastname@example.org||+65 6890 7724|
|Financial Services||Francis Mokemail@example.com||+65 6890 7786|
|Intellectual Property & Technology||Dr Stanley Lai, SCfirstname.lastname@example.org||+65 6890 7883|
|Litigation & Dispute Resolution||Andrew Yeoemail@example.com||+65 6890 7850|
|Litigation & Dispute Resolution||William Ongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+65 6890 7894|
|Mr Adrian Ang||Co-Head of the Firm’s FinTech and ESG & Public Policy Practices||View Profile|
|Ms Vivian Ang||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Andrew Chan||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Jason Chan, SC||Co-Head of the Firm’s White Collar & Investigations Practice||View Profile|
|Ms Elsa Chen||Co-Head of the Firm’s Competition & Antitrust Practice and ESG & Public…||View Profile|
|Mr Sunit Chhabra||Head of the Firm’s Tax Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Christian Chin||Partner and Co-Head of the Firm’s Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions Department||View Profile|
|Ms Margaret Chin||Head of the Firm’s Debt Capital Markets team||View Profile|
|Mr Leonard Ching||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Boon Leong Chong||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Yee Leong Chong||Co-Head of the Firm’s International Arbitration Practice and Head of the Firm’s Restructuring…||View Profile|
|Mr Jonathan Choo||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Bor Jern Chua||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Kee Loon Chua||Co-Deputy Head of the Firm’s International Arbitration Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Scott Clements||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Dinesh Dhillon||Co-Head of the Firm’s International Arbitration Practice||View Profile|
|Ms Goh Eng Cher||Partner, Co-Head of Private Wealth Practice||View Profile|
|Ms Kah Yan Fock||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Rhys Goh||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Penny Goh||Senior Adviser||View Profile|
|Ms Gloria Goh||Counsel||View Profile|
|Mr Ankit Goyal||Partner (Foreign Law)||View Profile|
|Mr Kin San Ho||Head of the Firm’s Corporate Real Estate Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Eugene Ho||Co-Head of Cybersecurity & Data Protection||View Profile|
|Mr Julian Ho||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Chien Mien Ho||Co-Head of the Firm’s Construction & Engineering Practice||View Profile|
|Ms Sheau Farn Hoo||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Mark Hudspeth||Co-Head of the Firm’s Banking & Finance Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Sathiaseelan Jagateesan||Co-Head of the Firm’s Construction & Engineering Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Tan Kai Liang||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Kelvin Kek||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Jerry Koh||Managing Partner and Head of the Firm’s REITs and Investment Funds Practices||View Profile|
|Mr Christopher Koh||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Chee Wai Kok||Co-Head of the Firm’s Financial Services Department and separately, Co-Head of the…||View Profile|
|Mr Ramesh Kumar||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Sanjiv Kumar Rajan||Co-Head of the Firm’s Employment, Health & Safety Practice||View Profile|
|Ms Shieh Lin Lai||Partner||View Profile|
|Dr Stanley Lai, SC||Head of Intellectual Property and Co-Head of Cybersecurity & Data Protection||View Profile|
|Mr Jonathan Lee||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Aaron Lee||Co-Head of the Firm’s White Collar & Investigations Practice||View Profile|
|Ms Bik Wei Lee||Deputy Head of the Firm’s White Collar & Investigations Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Bernie Lee||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Kee Yeng Lee||Partner||View Profile|
|May Ling Lee||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Kim Shin Lee, SC||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Gina Lee-Wan||Consultant||View Profile|
|Ms Victoria Leong||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Magdalene Leong||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Vincent Leow||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Wei Ting Lim||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Dao Kai Lim||Deputy Head of the Firm’s Construction & Engineering Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Kenneth Lim||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Sophie Lim||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Pek Bur Lim||Partner, Co-Head of Private Wealth Practice||View Profile|
|Ms Mei Ann Lim||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Andrew M Lim||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Pee Hua Long||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Hilary Low||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Pei Lin Low||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Lim Mei||Partner and Co-Head of the Firm’s Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions Department||View Profile|
|Mr Francis Mok||Co-Head of the Firm’s Financial Services Department and Co-Head of the Financial…||View Profile|
|Ms Catherine Neo||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Aloysius Ng||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Jafe Ng||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Christina Ong||Chairman and Senior Partner, and Co-Head of the Financial Services Department||View Profile|
|Mr William Ong||Co-Head of the Firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Department||View Profile|
|Ms Jeanne Ong||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Harold Or||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Aik Hin Peh||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Ramesh Selvaraj||Co-Deputy Head of the Firm’s International Arbitration Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Steven Seow||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Daren Shiau||Co-Head of the Firm’s Corporate & Commercial Department and Co-Head of the…||View Profile|
|Ms Julie Sim||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Yin Chuin Soh||Co-Head of the Firm’s Maritime & Aviation Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Nicholas Soh||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Corina Song||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Su-Min Song||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Charmelia Sugianto||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Boon Wah Tan||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Xeauwei Tan||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Wee Meng Tan||Head of Telecommunications as well as a Partner in the Energy, Infrastructure…||View Profile|
|Ms Eudora Tan||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Su May Tan||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Tze-Gay Tan||Head of the Firm’s Equity Capital Markets team||View Profile|
|Mr Yong Seng Tay||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Christine Tee||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Hoe Yue Teh||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Sarah Teo||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Kok Leong Tham||Head of the Firm’s Technology & Corporate Intellectual Property Practice||View Profile|
|Ms Karen Tiah||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Edward Tiong||Deputy Head of the Firm’s Restructuring & Insolvency Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Vignesh Vaerhn||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Yeo Wico||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Prawiro Widjaja||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Erik Widjaja||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Kelvin Wong||Co-Head of the Firm’s Corporate & Commercial Department and Head of the…||View Profile|
|Mr Alexander Yap||Co-Head of the Firm’s FinTech Practice||View Profile|
|Mr Yin Soon Yap||Co-Head of the Firm’s Maritime & Aviation Practice and Co-Head of the…||View Profile|
|Mr Kenny Yap||Co-Head of the Firm’s Maritime & Aviation Practice and Co-Head of the…||View Profile|
|Mr Andrew Yeo||Co-Head of the Firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Department||View Profile|
|Mr Boon Kiat Yeo||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Richard Young||Partner||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers in Singapore : 450+ Number of lawyers in regional network : 650+
LanguagesEnglish Chinese (Mandarin) Bahasa (Malay and Indonesia) Myanmar Tamil
One of South-East Asia’s leading and largest law firms, Allen & Gledhill seeks to be a responsible corporate citizen and do good to effect positive changes in the ASEAN community. The firm collaborates closely with its clients, employees and the wider community in its CSR activities and initiatives. As part of its commitment to continue using its resources and capabilities to benefit the wider community, the firm and the National University of Singapore Faculty of Law jointly established the A&G-NUS Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (CLAS) Pro Bono Internship Programme in 2016. The programme is the first formal partnership between a law firm and the NUS Law Faculty focusing on pro bono work.
- Antitrust and competition: local firms
- Banking and finance: local firms
- Capital markets: equity and debt: local firms
- Capital markets: structured finance, derivatives and securitisation: Local firms
- Construction: Local firms
- Corporate and M&A: local firms
- Dispute resolution: local firms
- Fintech and financial services regulatory: local firms
- Intellectual property: Local firms
- Investment funds: local firms
- Labour and employment: local firms
- Projects and energy: local firms
- Real estate: local firms
- Restructuring and insolvency: local firms
- Shipping: local firms
- Start-up and venture capital – Local firms
- Tax: local firms
- TMT: local firms
- White-collar crime - Local firms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Indonesia > Foreign firms