Steven Thiru & Sudhar Partnership > KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia > Firm Profile
Steven Thiru & Sudhar Partnership Offices
UNIT A1-12-01, ARCORIS MONT KIARA
Steven Thiru & Sudhar Partnership > The Legal 500 Rankings
Malaysia > Dispute resolution Tier 4The dispute resolution team at Steven Thiru & Sudhar Partnership has a diverse client roster, including state-owned entities, blue chip corporations, public utilities providers and insurers. The practice has experience in litigation and arbitration proceedings, with notable expertise in the construction and energy sectors. Steven Thiruneelakandan, who has a strong track record in employment disputes, leads the practice alongside arbitrator Sudharsanan Thillainathan.
Steven Thiruneelakandan; Sudharsanan Thillainathan
Great Eastern Group
KSK Group Bhd
Malaysian Institute of Accountants
Persatuan Hainan Selangor
Tenaga National Bhd
Landmark Property Sdn Bhd
Damai City Sdn Bhd
Austin Powder Asia Pacific Inc.
AAX Leasing Two Ltd
- Acted for Damai City Sdn Bhd, the the employer of the 8 Conlay Project in a construction contract case.
- Represented Landmark Property Sdn Bhd in a judicial review application against the assessments raised by the Director General of Inland Revenue.
- Represented AirAsia Berhad and AirAsia X Berhad as counsel in action against Malaysia Airports (Sepang) Sdn. Bhd.
Malaysia > Labour and employment Tier 4Steven Thiru & Sudhar Partnership’s employment offering is co-led by Janice Anne Leo and Steven Thiruneelakandan. The practice has experience in advisory work, assisting clients on matters concerning the transfer of employees during change of business ownership, as well as unfair dismissal and termination of contracts. David Ng Yew Kiat has expertise representing clients in employment disputes at the Industrial Court and the High Court.
Steven Thiruneelakandan; Janice Anne Leo
Other key lawyers:
David Ng Yew Kiat; Gregory Das; Adrienne Sena
Achi Jaya Plantations Sdn Bhd
Bank Negara Malaysia
Agarcorp Sdn Bhd
Sapura Secured Technologies Sdn Bhd
Weatherford (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Sapura Thales Electronics Sdn Bhd
Tenaga Nasional Berhad
Measat Broadcast Network Systems Sdn Bhd
Agrifood Resources Holdings Sdn Bhd
Affin Bank Berhad
Malayan Banking Berhad
British International School Kuala Lumpur
The MUI Group
Dagang NeXchange Berhad
IBM Malaysia Sdn Bhd
British American Tobacco
- Advised Achi Jaya Plantations in the change of business ownership of a luxury hotel in Kuala Lumpur and advising on the transfer of employees from one entity to another pursuant to Malaysian law.
- Representing Agarcorp Sdn Bhd in an unfair dismissal representation at the Kuala Lumpur Industrial Court.
- Representing Affin Bank in an unfair dismissal representation at the Kuala Lumpur Industrial Court.
Steven Thiru & Sudhar Partnership > Firm Profile
Established in May 2018, Messrs Steven Thiru & Sudhar Partnership is a young firm that is not short on experience. The two Senior Partners are well known in the legal profession. Steven Thiru was the 31st President of the Malaysian Bar and T. Sudhar was a former President of the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators.
The firm can lay claim to a solid pedigree in terms of the range and breadth of work, experience and track-record in litigation matters .The firm prides itself on its ability to represent clients at all levels of the courts including providing advisory / pre-trial advice and conducting trials and appeals in a range of litigation and dispute resolution work.
Over a short time the firm has gained a formidable reputation for its advisory, litigation and arbitration work in the main in general litigation , competition and anti-trust, digital and data protection law, employment law, human rights and public law, judicial review, land acquisition and reference , regulatory /compliance , tax and revenue matters. The firm is based in Kuala Lumpur but undertakes work nationwide and is able to handle cross-border work as well.
Litigation and dispute resolution highlights to date include:
- Successfully dismissing a Plaintiff / Main Contractor’s Originating Summons for interim measures against the Defendant / Employer pending arbitration in respect of construction assets on Site consequential to the termination of a construction contract. The value of the entire project is estimated to be in the region of RM5.4 billion.
- Representing the major transport system developer in a RM300 million claim for breach of contract/ misrepresentation and negligence.
- Successfully defending the public utilities electricity supply vendor in a claim for wrongful termination of supply against a counterclaim of RM99 million.
- Representing a government-owned water asset management corporation in an arbitration matter involving the development of a water treatment plant and water reticulation system. The RM993.8 million dispute is the first of its kind to be heard in Malaysia.
- Representing the Malaysian Institute of Accountants in the first completed disciplinary proceedings involving the auditors of 1MDB.
- Successfully obtaining judgement against an employee for tort of conversion and dishonest assistance for the sum of US$5,361,200 (RM21 million).
The firm also boasts a solid track record in employment and industrial relations. It’s expertise includes consultation on employment terms and conditions, employee misconduct, retrenchment and all aspects of employment and industrial relations including representing clients in employment disputes.
Highlights of the Employment and Industrial Relations Section:
- Defending the decision by a client to dismiss an employee who had been accused in the media of sexual grooming and being a sexual predator
- Providing advice to a major transportation company on acts of insubordination and for a breach of fiduciary duties owed by employees to its employer, and the appropriate disciplinary action to be taken against senior employees
- Establishing the principle that failure to furnish an employee facing disciplinary proceedings with all relevant and material evidence amounts to a fundamental breach of procedural fairness and natural justice.
- Advising and representing an employer in a suit brought by an employee who was dismissed for participation in political activities contrary to the employer’s Code of Ethics.
- Advising an international school on steps to manage a senior employee experiencing mental health issues, and the proper procedures to medically board out the employee, if necessary.
- Assisting both local and international corporations realign their manpower and human resource capacities in the light of the Covid-19 pandemic in compliance with labour and employment law and regulations.
Steven Thiru sums up the firm’s philosophy, “We subscribe to time-tested values, these include a commitment to professionalism and mutual respect. When it comes to representing our clients, we will leave no stone unturned. We are relentless in pursuit of our client’s interests and bring the best of our knowledge and experience to every matter we handle.”
|MANAGING PARTNER||Steven Thiruneelakandanemail@example.com||+60123158395|
|SENIOR PARTNER||Sudharsanan Thillainathanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+60122930795|
|Appellate Matters & Judicial Reviews||Steven Thiruneelakandanemail@example.com||+60123158395|
|Arbitration and Alternate Dispute Resolution||Sudharsanan Thillainathanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+60122930795|
|Competition & Anti Trust||Sudharsanan Thillainathanemail@example.com||+60122930795|
|Data Protection and Security||David Matthewfirstname.lastname@example.org||+60122603337|
|Employment, Labour and Industrial Relations||Janice Ann Leoemail@example.com||+60193304625|
|General Litigation||Steven Thiruneelakandanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+60123158395|
|Land and Real Estate including Land Acquisitions||Steven Thiruneelakandanemail@example.com||+60123158395|
|Public Law and Human Rights||Steven Thiruneelakandanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+60123158395|
|Tax and Revenue Disputes||Tania Kat-Lin Edwardemail@example.com||+60123371540|
|Regulatory and Compliance||Sudharsanan Thillainathanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+60122930795|
|Tax and Revenue Disputes||Sudharsanan Thillainathanemail@example.com||+60122930795|
|Arbitration and Alternate Dispute Resolution||Dawn Wong Keng Jadefirstname.lastname@example.org||+60123919193|
|Administrative, Company, Constitutional, General and Civil Litigation (including contractual disputes, land disputes and trust related matters), Industrial Relations, Land Acquisition||David Ng Yew Kiatemail@example.com||+60173375898|
|Administrative, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Company, Constitutional, General Litigation, Housing Law, Industrial Relations, Media and Medical||Gregory Dasfirstname.lastname@example.org||+0123150620|
|Civil and General Litigation (including contractual disputes, negligence cases, statutory claims and land disputes); Administrative Law; Employment Law||Hadi Mukhlis Khairulmainiemail@example.com||+0122232104|
|Mr Gregory Das||Partner Practise Areas: General Litigation (including appellate matters and judicial reviews) Public…||View Profile|
|Ms Tania Kat-Lin Edward||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Hadi Mukhlis Khairulmani||Partner Areas of Practice: General Litigation (including appellate matters and judicial reviews)…||View Profile|
|Ms Janice Anne Leo||Partner Practise Areas: Employment, Labour and Industrial Relations||View Profile|
|Mr David Mathew||Partner Practise Areas: General Litigation Corporate & Securities Litigation Public Interest Law,…||View Profile|
|Mr David Yew Kiat Ng||Partner Practise Areas: Employment Law & Industrial Relations Real Estate & Property||View Profile|
|Mr Sudhar Thillainathan||Senior Partner Practice Area: Dispute Resolution (including arbitration, anti-competition and tax and revenue…||View Profile|
|Mr Steven Thiruneelakandan||Managing Partner Practise Areas: General Litigation (including appellate matters and judicial reviews)…||View Profile|
|Miss Dawn Wong Keng Jade||Position: Partner Practice Areas: General Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Corporate & Securities…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresSENIOR MANAGEMENT : 2 PARTNERS : 9 SENIOR ASSOCIATES : 3 ASSOCIATES : 10
LanguagesEnglish (fluent) Bahasa Malaysia Chinese (Mandarin and dialects)
MembershipsMember of Chambers Asia-Pacific
CLIENT: Datin Yam & Grace
COMPANY/FIRM: LBCN Development Sdn Bhd
TESTIMONIAL: Our firm’s legal cases have been well taken care of by Messrs Steven Thiru & Sudhar Partnership since 2018 and we have full confident that the firm will continue to do so in protecting our interest as well as doing their very best to win the cases/suits for us. All the partners and staffs who handle our cases are very well trained and professional. They are very friendly which resulted in a good client relationship which are very important and crucial for court proceedings as the flow of ideas and discussions will accumulated into good defence for the cases. Most importantly, the lawyers put in their greatest effort in understanding the case and come up with a good case structure to help the client to win the legal suit. Besides, they are also very willing to provide their advice & extend their assistance without hesitation in other matter as well.
Admission as Partner: Tania Kat-Lin Edward5th July 2022 Messrs Steven Thiru & Sudhar Partnership is pleased to announce that Ms Tania Kat-Lin Edward is admitted as a Partner of the Firm with effect from 1st July 2022.
FEDERAL COURT OF MALAYSIA DECIDES ON THE AVAILABILITY OF JUDICIAL REVIEW TO CHALLENGE THE IMPOSITION OF RATES UNDER THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 197630th March 2022 The Federal Court in the recent case of Majlis Daerah Segamat v. Tenaga Nasional Berhad decided that the imposition of rates by a local authority under the Local Government Act 1976 (“LGA”) can be challenged by judicial review in circumstances where the objection to the imposition of rates does not fall under Section 142 LGA. This is despite the appeal procedure to the High Court provided under Section 145 LGA.
HIGH COURT AWARDED RM200,000.00 IN GENERAL DAMAGES AGAINST DEFENDANT AS A RESULT OF DEFAMATORY STATEMENTS PUBLISHED ON FACEBOOK23rd March 2022
- On 10th March 2022, the High Court allowed an appeal filed by a public utility against the decision of the Deputy Registrar which awarded RM60,000.00 in general damages against the Defendant in respect of defamatory postings published on his Facebook page.
- Dispute resolution
- Labour and employment