Firm Profile > Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH > Vienna, Austria
Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH Offices
Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH > The Legal 500 Rankings
Employment Tier 3
Formed in 2018 after a split from Kunz Wallentin Rechtsanwälte GmbH, the employment practice at Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH hosts a large team taking on cross-border work, such as advising a global gaming group and an international oil and gas company. The practice is headed by Georg Schima, who specialises in directors' and officers' liability and corporate governance issues, and Birgit Vogt-Majarek, who led the team in representing Austrian Airlines in 120 salary reduction claims. Work includes collective and individual employment law, restructurings, manager employment contracts and pensions.
Austrian Railways (ÖBB)
EMC Computer Services
EntServ Enterprise Services Austria GmbH
Johnson & Johnson
Salinen Austria AG
SSP The Food Travel Experts
EU and competition Tier 3
Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH entered the market in 2018 following the merger between Starlinger Mayer and employment experts Kunz Schima Wallentin. Christian Mayer heads the EU and competition department with notable sector expertise in tourism, media and energy. He is well versed in handling immunity applications, on-site inspections, merger filings and anti-trust cases. Christoph Bezemek joined as of counsel in January 2019 to advise on state aid and competition matters.
‘The team’s pragmatic and goal-oriented approach makes it the go-to firm in competition law in Vienna.’
‘Moritz Am Ende is the go-to person for bullet proof antitrust advice.’
‘Christian Mayer and his team are very responsive, efficient, and provide excellent legal advice.’
‘Christian Mayer clearly stands out. He is a very likeable, charming individual. He knows what he is talking about, he does not digress in his advice into irrelevant or only theoretically/hypothetically relevant matters.’
‘Christian Mayer’s expertise in competition and antitrust law is excellent.‘
‘Christian Mayer is devoted to go the extra mile; exceptional knowledge and experience in all aspects of competition law.‘
Mediaprint Zeitungs- und Zeitschriftenverlag GmbH & Co KG
Trans Austria Gasleitung GmbH
Sri Trang Agro-Industries Public Company Limited
Montana Tech Components AG
Association of Austrian Hoteliers
Snow Space Salzburg Bergbahnen Aktiengesellschaft
Projects and energy Tier 3
The projects and energy team at Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH is renowned for its expertise in energy law, and 'outstanding' group head Thomas Starlinger is highly praised by clients. Work highlights include representing an energy infrastructure provider in a dispute relating to the validity of long-term contracts regarding EU and Austrian energy law, successfully representing an energy infrastructure provider in an appeal against a decision by Austrian energy regulator E-Control relating to infrastructure development plans, and advising a market participant on the restructuring of the Austrian gas balancing regime. Moritz Am Ende and Christian Mayer are key contacts for competition mandates.
‘Very good team, excellent network in the energy sector, very well known in the market’.
‘The competence of this team especially in energy law, competition and antitrust law is impressive’.
‘The practice is particularly strong in the energy sector where it combines excellent institutional and commercial knowledge with its legal expertise’.
‘Thomas Starlinger, and Christian Mayer are both excellent lawyers in the energy and competition law sector’.
‘Thomas Starlinger is an outstanding energy law expert’.
‘Thomas Starlinger is the preeminent energy lawyer in Austria with particular insights in the gas sector. he has worked in the energy field throughout his career. Christian Mayer is a brilliant competition lawyer with experience in Austria and at EU level’.
Trans Austria Gasleitung GmbH
Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH > Firm Profile
Schima Mayer Starlinger (sms.law) was founded in November 2018 as a merger of two law firms (Starlinger Mayer Attorneys‑ at‑Law and the team around Georg Schima and Birgit Vogt-Majarek, partners of the former law firm Kunz Schima Wallentin), each well-established in their respective fields.
Today, we have a dedicated team of more than 50 people, half of which are lawyers. As a modern, service-oriented law firm, Schima Mayer Starlinger not only offers first-class legal advice, but is also committed to finding economically viable solutions for the concerns of our clients. Strength is found in our team which possesses long-standing experience, excellent know-how and combines efficiency with effectiveness. To find the perfect solution for our clients and to communicate as clearly and easily as possible is our highest premise. Therefore, in addition to competent legal advice personal needs take centre stage for us. Our team always develops special and individual representation strategies that are completely in line with clients’ current needs. Together, the experience and competences will be bundled and strengthened as well as expanded in the long term. Further details can be found on our website www.sms.law
Business law is our area of expertise.
- Employment Law – Leading in the area of employment law especially Georg Schima and Birgit Vogt-Majarek are named as highly renowned experts. In Austria we are the sole partner of worldwide and unique lawyer network Ius Laboris. Our services include, inter alia, Collective and individual employment law, Operational restructuring and business transitions, justification and termination of employment, Manager employment contracts and variable compensation models for executives, Design and adaptation of working time models, Company pension schemes and pension fund law, Collective agreement special subjects, Cross-border personnel deployment, immigration, Wage and social dumping as well as representation in proceedings before national and international courts as well as administrative authorities.
- Energy Law – Our team, especially Thomas Starlinger, has many years of relevant industry experience, both from an industrial and consultant perspective. Our strength is advice regarding energy law in combination with our competition and European law expertise.
- Competition and Antitrust Law – Christian Mayer and Moritz am Ende are well-known experts and help clients to avoid risks and exploit opportunities. When needed they assist clients before national and international competition authorities and courts. Antitrust risk analysis, transaction planning and monitoring, development and implementation of compliance programs, contract review and contract design, merger applications – to give an example – are essential parts of our legal advice.
- Corporate Law, Corporate Governance, M&A – The teams around Georg Schima, Stephan Schmalzl, Christian Mayer, and Birgit Vogt-Majarek are very experienced legal experts, providing our clients with corporate advice tailored to their goals. We offer a wide range of services, inter alia, mergers, demergers, restructuring and reorganizations, Due Diligences, Corporate Governance-Legal Issues (Organ-Conflicts of Interest, related party transactions, delimitation of responsibilities, stock-option programs etc), creation and amendment of articles of association or company and syndicate contracts, rules of procedure and much more.
- Dispute Resolution, Litigation – Dispute resolution starts with avoidance of dispute. If a process cannot be avoided, we first analyse opportunities and risks. With all our international experience and a well-rehearsed team around Georg Schima, Christian Mayer, Thomas Starlinger and Stephan Schmalzl always try to enforce the interests of our clients without lengthy and costly trials,
- Banking and Finance – Austrian and international financial institutions and companies of all size ranges rely especially on Stephan Schmalzl’s expertise and solution-oriented consulting approach in all areas of banking and finance law.
- European and State Aid Law – Our expert Moritz Am Ende advises clients on all aspects of Austrian and EU competition law, including State aid law, as well as general EU and EEA law.
- IP/IT, Unfair Competition, Data Protection Law
- Public Law – We assist companies regarding public law issues, in particular in connection with regulatory and employment law, procurement law etc. particularly noteworthy are Thomas Starlinger and Birgit Vogt-Majarek.
- Real Estate Law – Our legal experts provide legal advice in all matters relating to real estate and construction projects: from the selection procedure through development and management to the transfer of payment or gratuitous transmission.
|Dispute resolution||Thomas Starlinger|
|Dispute resolution||Christian Mayer|
|Real estate||Markus Dax|
|Real estate||Thomas Starlinger|
|Banking and Finance||Stephan Schmalzl|
|Competition||Moritz Am Ende|
|Europe||Moritz Am Ende|