Alerion > Paris, France > Firm Profile
137 RUE DE L'UNIVERSITÉ
Alerion > The Legal 500 Rankings
France > Construction Tier 2Alerion‘s practice is co-lead by one of the firm’s founders, Philippe Mathurin, who has over three decades of experience in contentious and non-contentious public and private law matters and regularly attracts major real estate operators for complex construction matters. Co-lead Nathalie Dupuy-Loup also handles advisory and litigation work, mainly in private law, with a specialty in constructors’ liabilities and construction insurance. Gérald Lagier left the firm at the end of 2020.
France > Insurance Tier 3Alerion
‘Excellence in the analysis, advice and processing of entrusted files is a constant at Cabinet Alerion, in construction law as well as in insurance law.’
‘Several files in management with a partner of the firm – very professional, impactful in his analysis, in the strategies proposed. Knows his cases perfectly and has a very good relationship with the insured, very good results obtained in legal proceedings for sometimes complex cases.’
‘Strong reactivity, ingenuity, creativity, understanding of business issues, adaptability, quality work, pedagogy.’
La Belle Vie
- Advised Step Pharma on a €35m Series B fundraising.
- Assisted BMI System with a new investor.
- Assisted Siparex with its minority stake in MC3 with a mezzanine debt.
France > Insolvency Tier 4Alerion hired Gilles Podeur in the Summer of 2020 from Clifford Chance to launch its practice. Podeur has experience advising debtors or creditors and can rely on complementary corporate and finance law support available within the firm. He recently acted in several prominent insolvency and restructuring cases, spanning various sectors, including the retail, manufacturing and real estate sectors. Podeur is also well versed in advising investors presenting bid offers for assets and recently completed a major acquisition in the retail sector that allowed to save almost a thousand jobs.
‘Very fine knowledge of cases and sound advice.’
‘Proximity in exchanges, great availability and pedagogy on complex and infrequent cases (as far as we are concerned). Detailed invoicing which allows the verification and measurement of the work provided.’
‘We only work with Gilles Podeur. We appreciate our collaboration for its great availability, the respect of deadlines, the pedagogy provided in the explanation of the files.’
- Assisted the new company created by the existing shareholder of Alinea with its successful bid to acquire Alinea.
- Assisted BTSG in its capacity as court-appointed creditors’ representative with the insolvency proceedings of River Plaza.
- Assisted the bondholders with the restructuring of Enensys Technologies.
Pierre-Olivier Brouard; Christophe Gerschel; Vincent Poirier; Antoine Rousseau
The Blockchain Group
Bee up Capital
- Assisted Santarelli and its shareholders with an LBO in the process of creating the Santarelli group.
- Assistance to Groupe Bolloré with the acquisition of a majority stake of the French start-up Ovrsea.
- Acted for Médiamétrie Group Capital on the acquisition of 2.4 % stake by Orange.
France > Tax Tier 5Alerion
Christophe Gerschel; Philippe Pescayre; Stanislas Vailhen
‘Tax law specialty with an affordable price quality of service.’
‘Responsive and competent team.’
‘Simplicity, responsiveness, transparency.’
‘Very responsive team – broad expertise in French taxation and litigation – good value for money.’
‘Stanislas Vailhen – always available – competent and responsive – pragmatic.’
- Advised the INSEEC Group – A2G on a tax dispute before the Administrative Court of Appeal of Lyon.
- Advised Santarelli on an LBO.
- Advised Pochet on general tax issues and a restructuration.
Alerion > Firm Profile
Alerion is an independent law firm created in 2003, specialising in international business. Constantly growing, it now has 18 partners and a total of over seventy lawyers. Based in Paris, the firm works both for French clients who are expanding internationally and foreign clients investing in France, advising them and assisting them in disputes. Over time, the firm has developed skills in the main areas covered by business law. The firm’s partners advise clients operating in most sectors of French and international economic life. Over the years, they have also developed specific and cross-disciplinary knowledge of certain areas of activity such as sports, pharmaceuticals & biotechnology, the digital economy, real-estate, and aerospace. The firm works for a wide variety of clients (large French and international groups, French subsidiaries of large international groups, listed companies or small and medium-sized businesses, start-ups, investment funds, associations, public institutions, local authorities, family offices, etc.). To fulfil its client’s foreign law requirements, Alerion has correspondents in most countries.
Staff FiguresNumber of partners : 18 Number of lawyers : 70
LanguagesFrench German Spanish English
MembershipsIBA (International Bar Association)
Since its creation, Alerion has always been leaning toward international business. In the firm, we have lawyers who are members of international bars. In total, at Alerion it is possible to work in 4 different languages: French, English, German and Spanish, which facilitates communication with all clients. Alerion assists foreign clients with their various requirements, whether it is for setting up a business abroad, for the realization of a transaction or for the restructuring of a company.
Our dual-qualified lawyers
Alerion have 3 lawyers in our firm who are dual Bars registered: Nicola Kömpf is a member of the Paris and Berlin Bars, Friedriech Niggemann is a member of the Paris and Düsseldorf Bars, Jacques Bouyssou is a member of the Paris and Madrid Bars.
Also, Alice Bastien, admitted to the Paris Bar as of 2022, is currently awaiting her admission to the New York Bar.
Active member of the IBA (International Bar Association)
Alerion has been a member of the IBA for more than 10 years and regularly participates in the many events organised by the IBA. Jacques Bouyssou, partner at Alerion, is co-chair of the IBA litigation committee, and several lawyers at Alerion are also members of different IBA committees.
A firm with a strong international focus
The firm has active German and Spanish Desks that provides German-speaking and Spanish-speaking clients with legal services in their own languages, adapted to their cultural specificities. Alerion has also developed extensive experience on the African continent where it has a network of reliable referral firms. The firm also has a long-time partnership with the Canadian-based law firm Lette.
Alerion, aware of the need for local beekeepers, is committed to the preservation of the ecosystem by sponsoring a beehive in the Paris region thanks to the association Un toit pour les abeilles.
The firm has also implemented several practices within the firm:
- Providing our team with recycled paper.
- Using an external service provider to collect used paper and recycle it.
- Paper consumption has been significantly reduced thanks to the successive lockdown that have accelerated the digitalisation of processes and we didn’t go back to the way it was before.
- Thanks to a partnership with Le Cercle, the meal trays are environmentally friendly. Indeed, Le Cercle recovers the meal trays to reuse them, all in order to be part of a more eco-responsible approach.
- The firm distributes mugs to its team members to encourage them to stop using single-use cups and bottles.
- The Christmas tree is originated from France and horticulturally grown.
The firm’s approach to society
Alerion acts for its co-workers’ well-being at work:
- The firm carried out sessions on the prevention of work-related illnesses by videoconferencing with an external service provider.
- Following the coronavirus crisis, a remote working policy was established.
- A fruit basket is available to employees twice a week in the office.
- The firm has a fair gender ratio : we have 50.6% women and 49.4% men as of 2021.
- Career and development opportunities are encouraged. Since its creation, Alerion has seen seven associates become partners and continues to see its associates evolve within the teams.
- In addition, a quality commission is held every two months to discuss and improve well-being within the firm.