Firm Profile > Rokas Law Firm > Athens, Greece
Rokas Law Firm Offices
25, 25A BOUKOURESTIOU STREET
106 71 ATHENS
Rokas Law Firm > The Legal 500 Rankings
Insurance Tier 1
At Rokas Law Firm, the practice has ‘in-depth knowledge and experience’ in insurance matters, acting for clients including life insurers, general issuers and reinsurers, mutuals and composites, first insurance and international reinsurance brokers, regulators and government bodies. The team handles all areas of insurance law including regulatory matters, law drafting, product developments, policy wordings and litigation. Ioannis Rokas has experience in drafting insurance legislation in Greece and other Balkan countries including Romania and Serbia; he leads the practice alongside Christos Theodorou and Alkistis Christofilou. Qatar Insurance Europe recently instructed the team to assist with issues arising from its passporting of insurance services into Greece. Senior associate Viktoria Chatzara is recommended for policy legislation and regulatory advice.
‘I could characterize Rokas Law Firm as the expert of insurance. The partners involved in insurance have in depth knowledge and experience. The provision of services is quite high and specialized. More specifically, the firm provides consulting services as well as representation before courts.’
‘Ioannis Rokas, Christos Theodorou, Alkistis Christofilou are all very experienced professionals that can provide end to end legal advice and assistance. Christos Theodorou provides advise and insight in very complex legal issues and has the capacity to address any issue that might be involved to the case. Alkistis Christofilou can provide business oriented and professional legal advise in relation to corporate matters while in the same time she can think outside the box finding solutions in different situations.’
‘The insurance team is extremely knowledgeable and responsive.’
‘Alkistis Christofilou: she clearly knows what she is doing: responsive, knowledgeable and pragmatic.’
Employment Tier 2
Rokas Law Firm fields a ‘very experienced team’ with ‘expertise in the local regulatory framework’. Key areas of work encompass employment-related M&A, restructurings, individual and collective redundancies, employment agreements, employee benefits and executive remuneration. Christos Theodorou is ‘well prepared and experienced’ and oversees the team, which also excels in trade union and work councils’ issues, collective bargaining agreements, data protection work and immigration matters.
‘Good expertise in the local regulatory framework and very experienced team.’
‘Christos Theodorou is very resourceful and well prepared and very experienced.’
Roche Hellas Pharmaceuticals SA
LG Electronics Hellas SA
Heracles Group of Companies / Lafargeholcim Group (AGET)
Rokas Law Firm is particularly focused on regulated markets, specifically the establishment, operation, regulatory compliance, transformation and winding-up of all forms of legal entities. Its experience on the M&A front encompasses privatisations, business portfolio transfers and corporate transformations within regulated markets. In addition, clients are provided with the full range of day-to-day legal support and expertise is held in relation to various privatisation initiatives. Alkistis Christofilou, Christos Theodorou and Harris Synodinos head the practice which is active in industries such as energy, pharmaceuticals and diagnostics, telecommunications, data protection. Senior associate Viktoria Chatzara 'provides swift responses'.
‘The firm has shown deep knowledge of the applicable law, significant practical experience on relevant cases and thorough understanding of the relevant market. The feedback we receive is quick, providing practical solutions to any issues arising.’
‘We have been cooperating with Prof Rokas on a number of cases. He has a deep academic knowledge of the law combined with significant practical experience, resulting in an efficient approach against any matter arising. We have also been working with Viktoria Chatzara. She provides swift responses to our requests for assistance, outlining in a clear manner any possible actions, along with their advantages and disadvantages, in order to achieve a successful outcome in all cases.’
‘Alkistis Theofilou is very capable and reliable.’
‘Haris Synodinos is one of the best energy law lawyers in the country.’
‘We work together with the team on telecommunications law matters in the course of multi-jurisdictional projects that we set up and manage centrally on behalf of a large number of clients (both traditional telecoms providers as well as clients from other sectors). The team delivers solid advice in a timely manner.’
‘Our main contact is Viktoria Chatzara. We are very pleased with her work.’
Astir Palace Hotel
Roche Hellas S.A.
LG Electronics Hellas S.A.
ETVA VIPE Industrial Sites
Dispute resolution Tier 3
Rokas Law Firm ‘understands disputes in broader business terms’ and has a ‘thorough understanding of the issues at hand’. The team is primarily active in insurance-related litigation and arbitration, though has recently expanded its presence in the energy and pharmaceuticals sectors. Christos Theodorou is also adept in pharmaceuticals and administrative litigation with a noteworthy track record in the Greek Civil and Administrative Supreme Courts. He heads up the practice with Antonios Tsavaridis, who is an expert in international trade, insurance and investment law, and also leads the firm’s international arbitration practice, which is spread across the SEE.
‘Thourough understanding of the issues at hand.’
‘Approachability, availability and clarity in explanations.’
‘Cross-functional team with deep understanding of various aspects of law. Experience in understanding disputes in broader business terms and always willing to provide options to clients with emphasis on objectives.’
‘Top-of-the-line knowledge of European dispute resolution across countries. Extensive knowledge of insurance laws, practices and developments. Significant experience in arbitration and dispute resolution practices. Messrs. Tsavdaridis and Rokas inspire confidence and excellent guidance.’
Fonds de Garantie des Assurances Obligatoires de Dommages, of France
Auxiliary Fund for Insurance of Liability Arising out of Motor Accidents, of Greece
Consap – Concessionaria Servizi Assicurativi Pubblici S.p.A.
Sunlight Systems S.A.
Motor Insurers’ Fund (MIF) Cyprus
Public Power Gas Corporation (DEPA)
Generali Hellas S.A. – Assicurazioni Generali
AXA Insurance S.A.
Aegeon Insurance Co.
AGET Heracles – LafargeHolcim
Roche Hellas SA / Hoffmann La Roche AG
Public Power Corporation (PPC) Renewables S.A.
Lloyd’s of London
Hellenic Petroleum S.A.
Ethniki Insurance S.A.
Energy Tier 3
At Rokas Law Firm, practice head Mira Todorovic Symeonides is highly-regarded for her ‘deep industry knowledge and actionable solutions’. The team possesses specialist knowledge of regulatory matters and, thanks to the firm’s footprint across the SEE region, has also developed a strong reputation for cross-border matters. Day-to-day support is provided to a number of clients with other key areas of expertise extending to licensing procedures, start-ups in the energy sector, litigation, transport and supply work, environmental matters and acquisitions.
‘Their knowledge of our sector and the people within the sector are unparalleled.’
‘Mira Todorovic Symeonides was exceptional. A pleasure to work with. Deep industry knowledge and offered actionable solutions.’
‘They have expertise in civil, commercial and energy law.’
‘Mr Theodorou is a very good expert in civil law. Mrs Teodorovic is a very good expert in Energy law.’
NRG Trading House
Rokas Law Firm > Firm Profile
The firm: Rokas was established in early 1977 and has since grown to the first Greek law firm that is active in 10 European countries and holds to the vision of providing world-class solutions in the region to a worldwide clientele through its international network. We value our international perspective as our critical advantage regarding the business-oriented approach and the quality of services offered to clients who plan to expand, run and develop their business in an increasingly globalised market economy.
Areas of practice: Rokas is a full-service firm and specialises in several market sectors with an advisory and litigation/ADR practice. Rokas’ clients include corporations active in finance, insurance, banking, energy, telecommunications, technology, construction, real estate, hotel & leisure; also, businesses in the aluminium, steel and gas sectors, pharmaceuticals, tobacco and courier companies, state institutions and regulators.
The firm has acted as project leader and has participated in consortia in law and regulation drafting projects in several market sectors of central and SE Europe, and of the former USSR states. The projects concerned the strengthening, modernisation and regulation of the insurance, energy and environment, and telecommunications sectors, the supporting of public administration and justice reforms.
Rokas is the leading Greek firm in insurance and reinsurance law. The firm’s partners are widely recognised as academics and as litigation and regulation practitioners in insurance law in Greece and in the region where Rokas expands. Having published landmark textbooks and articles on the subject in Greece and in other countries, they often participate in law drafting committees.
Rokas is also a top choice for complex litigation and arbitration, as well as non contentious work, in all aspects of commercial law, including energy, e-communications, infrastructure practice, and in M&A deals including privatisations, such as the recently completed unbundling of the Greek electricity transmission system operator.
Indicative work highlights of the firm include:
M&A / Privatisations / Corporate and Commercial: (4 partners; 6 associates)
- Cross border merger by absorption of Greek commercial company by a Luxembourg international company;
- Advising on corporate and contractual issues, for an extremely prominent hotel and resort complex on the Athens Riviera;
- Advice to a Greek systemic bank on corporate governance issues and potential conflicts of interest arising from multiple appointments of the senior manager within the bank’s group;
- Advising clients from various market sectors, including shipping, insurance, pharmaceuticals, on the GDPR; acting as DPO;
- Advice on the provision of cross-border electronic communications services in Greece mainly with respect to automobiles;
- Licensing and launching of an e-scooter sharing system in Athens;
- Advising on equity and cash-based plans for Greek employees of large multinational companies of the financial and industrial sector;
- Legal assessment of the contemplated post-Brexit operational schemes for a number of UK-based companies active in regulated market sectors;
- Acted for sellers in the electricity supplier’s NRG shares sale to the Motor Oil group;
- Represented the electricity incumbent in the divestiture of the power grid company via the sale of shares to China’s SGID and to a state owned SPV and indirect listing of the rest of stock;
- Acquisition of a prestigious hotel and residential complex in the center of Sofia, Bulgaria and hotel management agreements;
- Divestiture of a Greek systemic bank’s subsidiary in North Macedonia;
- Advising and representing clients on several business law and regulatory issues, including the update to the reformed law on societes anonymes, company transformations, commercial agency and distribution, business transactions, et.al.;
- World Bank Subnational Project “Registering Property, Starting Business and Enforcement of Contracts” it launched for six cities in Greece, including the review of the Questionnaires, the organisation and monitoring of the expert teams in each city, providing response instructions, receiving feedback from the expert teams, and cooperating with World Bank.
Energy: (2 partners; 3 associates)
- Support to a foreign investor in acquisition and subsequent development of a developing 12 solar PV plants of total 284 MW, project which has been characterised as a project of Strategic Interest;
- Support to a foreign investor in a green-field development of above 250 MW PV plant in Greece;
- Advising the client regarding the EFET and ISDA agreements; support regarding the compliance for its participation in the wholesale electricity and gas markets, as well as energy derivatives markets, particularly those arising from EMIR, REMIT and other;
- Providing legal support, review and comments to the Engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) with the German company of the framework agreement and sample individual agreement for the project Kozani, a cluster of photovoltaic power plants with a total licensed capacity above 200 MW;
- Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund: development of an underwater gas storage tank located in South Kavala – the first of its kind in Greece;
- Support to a foreign investor in licensing and development of 6 SPVs for production of electricity from wind;
- Representation of the major Greek natural gas supplier in a dispute against the Greek Natural Gas TSO regarding to charges for booked gas transmission capacities;
- Representation of major Greek energy-intensive industrial client in a dispute against the Greek electricity TSO regarding charges imposed to auto-producers with high efficiency cogeneration of heat and power (CHP);
- Advice regarding the acquisition of 5 SPVs containing 10 PV projects for small PV with the total capacity of 5 MWs.
Dispute Resolution & ADR: (4 partners; 10 associates)
- Representing the incumbent gas distribution company in two ad hoc international arbitrations against a Greek insurer for claims originating from non consumption of agreed gas quantities by incumbent’s clients (electricity producers);
- Representing the French, Greek and Italian Guarantee Funds against the Motor Insurance Bureau of the UK, in the first ever international arbitration between Motor Insurance Bureaus, in a dispute related to the insolvency of a Gibraltar insurer;
- Advised a leading hotel resort in a complex construction dispute involving ICC arbitration in London, against a leading Greek construction company;
- Complex litigation and arbitration cases, for an extremely prominent hotel and resort complex on the Athens Riviera;
- Representing Generali and QBE in a series of claims litigation originating from the closure of the main Greek Motorway connecting Athens and Thessaloniki owing to rock fall;
- Representing the Greek subsidiary of the world leading cement producer in a unique dispute before the Administrative Supreme Court, involving the recovery of state aid;
- Representing one of the world’s leading batteries’ manufacturer in the largest ever casualty claim in Greece;
- Representing the leading Greek oil refinery in a large casualty claim involving a cutting-edge Flexicocking technology;
- Representing several insurers in claims against the Hellenic Republic due to unlawful conduct of the police during the December 2008 riots;
- Representing a world leader in pipe manufacturing in a jurisdiction and product liability dispute over an irrigation project in the island of Crete;
- Representing one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies, a major biodiagnostics company and a major factoring institution in claims against public hospitals for unpaid invoices from supplies of pharmaceuticals and other products.
Insurance: (5 partners; 5 associates)
- The firm maintains a recognised leading practice in insurance, reinsurance and insurance mediation law. It supports Greek and international clients including regulators of Eastern Europe countries in all related aspects including establishment, licensing and run-off, M&As and portfolio transfers, passporting of services, regulatory and compliance issues and provides consultancy for a number of important global players of the insurance sector.
Pharmaceuticals and Diagnostics: (3 partners; 3 associates)
- Representing a number of globally leading pharmaceutical companies and diagnostics company against the HR in litigation over clawback disputes and over the collection of public hospitals debt;
- Provision of day-to-day legal support to major pharmaceutical companies with regard to various regulatory issues;
- Preparation and review of clinical trial agreements for various arrangers.
Employment: (1 partner; 2 associates)
- Representation of a major commercial company as employer and as insurer concerning the calculation of the pension benefit (lump-sum) that is provided to its employees who exit for full or early retirement;
- Representation of AGET Herakles, the Greek subsidiary of Lafarge Holcim, on a collective redundancy dispute before the Supreme Administrative Court and the European Court of Justice that led to the amendment of the collective redundancies legislation in Greece;
- Provision of ongoing advisory support to one of the world leading pharmaceutical companies on employment-law matters, as well as in relation to a restructuring plan project;
- Provision of legal assistance to a leading Korean electronics manufacturer concerning all aspects of individual labour law;
- Representation of a major insurance company before Court on a pilot case concerning the existence or not of obligation on the part of the employer, deriving from a Group insurance contract, for the payment of a lump sum benefit to its employees during their exit, in view of the fact that the relevant reserves are not sufficient.
|Banking and finance||Prof Dr Ioannis Rokas|
|Banking and finance||Alkistis Christofilou|
|Capital markets||Prof Dr Ioannis Rokas|
|Capital markets||Dr Christina Tarnanidou|
|Competition – M&A||Prof Dr Lambros Kotsiris|
|Competition – M&A||Dr Charalampos (Harris) Synodinos|
|Construction and real estate||Christos Theodorou|
|Corporate and commercial||Christos Theodorou|
|Dispute resolution and ADR||Dr Antonios Tsavdaridis|
|Dispute resolution and ADR||Nick Boutsikos|
|Energy and environment||Mira Todorovic Symeonides|
|Energy and environment||Dr Charalampos (Harris) Synodinos|
|EU law||Dr Charalampos (Harris) Synodinos|
|Insolvency and restructuring||Nick Boutsikos|
|Insurance and reinsurance||Prof Dr Ioannis Rokas|
|Insurance and reinsurance||Alkistis Christofilou|
|Intellectual property and trade marks||Prof Dr Lambros Kotsiris|
|Labour and employment||Christos Theodorou|
|Privatisation||Dr Charalampos (Harris) Synodinos|
|Shipping and transport||Dr Antonios Tsavdaridis|
|Telecommunication and technology||Alkistis Christofilou|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 87 at this office : 32
LanguagesAlbanian Bulgarian Czech English French German Greek Italian Romanian Russian Serbian Spanish Ukrainian
MembershipsAIDA HILA IBA INTERLAW
OtherOther offices : Belgrade Other offices : Bucharest Other offices : Prague Other offices : Skopje Other offices : Sofia Other offices : Thessaloniki Other offices : Tirana Other offices : Kiev (representative office) Other offices : Podgorica (associated office) Other offices : Sarajevo (associated office) Other offices : Zagreb (associated office)
Legal Developments28th April 2020 The Greek Parliament will soon be called upon to vote on a bundle of new legislative measures on the modernization of environmental legislation which will significantly amend the current licensing procedure for RES power plants.
18th February 2020 General on DEPA Privatisation The current legal ground for DEPA privatization was established in the law no 4643/2019 on Liberalisation of the energy market, modernization of the Public Power Corporation (PPC), privatization of the Public Natural Gas Company S.A. (DEPA), and support of RES, passed in December 2019 (OJ A’ 193/2019).