Bevan Brittan LLP is a leading choice among Yorkshire-based and national registered providers for advice on all types of property acquisitions and disposals, finance work and claims involving housing disrepair, anti-social behaviour and possession issues. Richard Stirk is assisted by Julie Cowan-Clark on housing developments, securities and property transactions on behalf of local authorities.
Social housing in Yorkshire And The Humber
Other key lawyers:
‘Knowledge of the social housing sector is a key strength.’
‘Ably led by Richard Stirk, the team has outstanding sector knowledge and a “hands-on” commercial approach.’
‘Julie Cowan-Clark was always available at short notice to respond to requests and help solve issues.’
‘They are a personable and customer-focused team. They are using technology to provide reports to support our work internally, we don’t have to chase them for replies, the billing is accurate, transparent and on time.’
Karbon Homes Limited
Together Housing Association Limited
Yorkshire Housing Limited
Leeds and Yorkshire Housing Association Limited
Unity Housing Association Limited
Derwent Housing Association Limited
Connect Housing Association Limited
Broadacres Housing Association Limited
Leeds Federated Housing Association Limited
Arches Housing Limited
- Advised Together Commercial Limited on the setting up of a Joint Venture Company with a private developer and Together Housing Association Limited in its acquisition of the affordable homes from the JV.
- Acting for Karbon Homes Limited on its programme of acquiring affordable housing through s106 Agreement across Yorkshire from various private developers including advising on s106 Agreement, mortgagee exclusion clauses and likely security value.
- Advising Unity on the amendments to their Yorkshire Bank loan agreement, extending the term of the revolving facility for a further five years and updating the loan agreement to include a specific permission to on lend funds and bring it in line with the Banks current lending terms and in relation to their first ever THFC Loan from the proceeds of a public bond issue, including advising on the associated securitisation of housing stock to support the THFC Loan.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP's national housing practice is best known for its partnership with Homes England, as well as its extensive work for regional and London borough councils, for whom it handles the structuring of joint ventures for housing delivery and regeneration schemes. Practice head Anne Bowden is working with Bristol City Council on the procurement of Hengrove Park housing development project.
London Borough of Wandsworth
London Borough of Lambeth
London Borough of Haringey
Places for People Housing Association
Bristol City Council
Westminster City Council
London Borough of Hackney
London Borough of Brent
London Borough of Ealing
- Advising the London Borough of Wandsworth Council on their two largest Council estate regeneration projects, delivering 3500 homes.
- Advising the London Borough of Haringey on its High Road West housing regeneration scheme which will deliver 2500 new home (including 850 affordable homes) in a scheme valued at up to £1bn.
- Advising the Leeds City Council on its major East Leeds Orbital Route – Leeds’ largest road scheme for 50 years, which will enable 5,000 new homes to be delivered including significant affordable housing in the East Leeds Extension.
Walker Morris LLP has a longstanding relationship with Homes England, often advising on development, asset management and funding schemes. The practice handles the full gamut of housing services, encompassing landlord and tenant, housing management and regulatory compliance and litigation. Karl Anders acts for social and private sector landlords in housing management and litigation, which is complemented by Chris Woodthorpe's asset management and development work.
Karl Anders; Chris Woodthorpe
‘Very thorough in assessing risk and advising on mitigation to protect our position’
‘The team is very well led and all those I have had dealings with are exceptionally efficient with a client-focused outlook to social housing litigation. ’
‘Karl Anders is approachable, highly knowledgeable and a superb solicitor and leader of his team. I have recommended him consistently to clients looking for top notch, practical and sensible representation.’
Berneslai Homes Limited N
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
Management Company (for Kier Property)
First Choice Homes Oldham
St Leger Homes Doncaster
- Advising Anchor Hanover Group on an asset register review of part of its portfolio to ensure compliance with the requirement of the Regulator of Social Housing.
- Advising Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council in relation to entering into a flow-down agreement with a developer which mirrored the terms of the grant funding agreement between Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council and Homes England.
- Advising Efficiency North, a collaborative consortium of social housing providers in the North of England with a focus on procurement/supply chain, training and skills as well as affordable housing, across a range of real estate, construction and commercial/procurement matters.
Forbes Solicitors acts for a growing number of regional and national registered providers, focusing on housing litigation that often involves disrepair and rent possession claims. The team also handles injunctions necessitating access for repairs and unlawful eviction claims, among other matters. The head of the Leeds office is Siobhan Hardy, who is advising on a large claim relating to asbestos exposure following a stock transfer of local authority housing. Stuart Penswick and Justine Hunkins are recommended for housing and asset management, as well as litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Stuart Penswick; Justine Hunkins
‘Fantastic solicitors that are really easy to deal with.’
Together Housing Association Limited
The Guinness Partnership Limited
The Riverside Group Limited
Trafford Housing Trust Limited
Lincolnshire Housing Partnership
Mosscare St Vincents
EMH Housing and Regeneration Group
South Kesteven District Council
Based in Bradford, Schofield Sweeney's team is led by Andrew Hurst, who is experienced in acting for registered social landlords and their funders. The practice undertakes work in relation to funding, governance, development and regeneration projects. Simon Petchey advises housing associations on refinancing, while Manjit Virdee acts for lenders and social housing borrowers on facility and security negotiations.
Other key lawyers:
Manjit Virdee; Simon Petchey
Quality Social Housing (QSH)
Horton Housing Association (HHA)
Chartford Housing Limited (CHA)
3h York Limited
Wakefield District Housing
- Advising QSH Property LLP on the sale of over 30 social housing units in the West Yorkshire and Southern Region.
- Advised Chartford Housing Ltd on acquisition of 18 flats for rent at a development at Shipley.
- Advising 3h York Ltd alongside other firms and funders a procedure for acquiring and improving properties on the open market for use of clients of the Home Office.
John Murray, who leads the Leeds-based group at Ward Hadaway, has over 31 years of experience in the social housing sector. He is often instructed by local authorities and registered providers in disrepair claims and leasehold disputes. He also advises on property disposals, tenure issues and anti-social behaviour.
‘The service we receive from Ward Hadaway provides us with great legal services that are speedy, proactive and value for money. We have used the practice for several land and property transactions and planning services. Information is provided in a timely manner in easy to understand formats describing any risks to the organisation.’
South Lakes Housing
Byker Community Trust
Mosscare St Vincent’s
Believe Housing Limited
- Acted for Livin Housing who acquired a 60 unit site to fulfil the affordable housing requirements on a larger development, on a land led basis supported by HE grant.
- Acted for Bracewell Homes Limited, an entity set up by Harrogate Borough Council and also for the Council in the acquisition and delivery of affordable housing.
- Acting for Yorkshire Homes Limited on s.106 acquisitions and disposals across a number of sites.