Property litigation in Yorkshire And The Humber
Addleshaw Goddard handles the full spectrum of contentious property work for a client base spanning blue chip tenants, investors, developers and infrastructure providers with notable expertise advising on the contentious aspects of the management of shopping centres, litigation arising from company voluntary arrangements in the retail sector and trespasser evictions. Leeds-based Julie Middlemass heads up the national team, working with managing associates Elizabeth Cape and Chris McGrath, who handles landlord and tenant matters, and associate Louise Minshull, who focuses on mixed-use development mandates.
‘Addleshaw Goddard is very strong nationally and in Yorkshire and fields an excellent team‘.
‘Julie Middlemass is clearly one of the go-to names in the country for property disputes‘.
‘Elizabeth Cape is truly incredibly and stands out among the crowd‘.
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Associated British Foods/Primark Stores Limited
Travelodge Hotels Limited
- Acting for a range of institutional landlords affected by company voluntary arrangements including Carpetright, New Look, House of Fraser, Mothercare and Prezzo.
- Assisting a property company with its strategy to prevent encroachments impinging on a potential development.
- Acting for Promontoria (Henrico) Limited in a possession claim relating to residential buy-to-let properties.
- Acting for a joint venture between a developer and landowner in securing a possession order and a High Court writ over a large development site, which is susceptible to entrance by travellers.
- Advising a property company on a vacant possession strategy to enable the future development of a shopping centre.
Stephen Scott heads up the team at CMS, which attracts praise for its development and site assembly work, asset management disputes, landlord and tenant matters, party wall disputes and issues relating to the telecoms, mines and minerals sectors. Scott also handles matters relating to vacant possession strategies, dilapidations, rent reviews, service charge disputes, possession cases and squatters issues. Senior associate Edward Gamble is the key contact for landlord and tenant issues and senior associate Martin Garner focuses on the telecoms sector.
‘CMS stands out in Sheffield for its experience, industry knowledge and strategic approach‘.
National Grid Pension Fund
CBRE Global Investors
The Crown Estate
- Handling all real estate dispute matters across The Crown Estate’s regional retail portfolio including shopping and retail parks, shopping centres and a leisure centre.
- Acting for the Mayfair Partnership on the contentious issues relating to the redevelopment strategy of a site in Manchester City Centre.
- Acting for Sainsburys Supermarkets Limited in opposed and unopposed lease renewals, dilapidations and break notices.
- Representing Segro Plc and Airport Property Partnership in various contentious real estate matters relating to its industrial and airside properties.
- Acting for Threadneedle in multiple asset management issues including lease renewals, possession claims against squatters, dilapidations and property notices.
DLA Piper UK LLP's team of property litigators in Leeds and Sheffield includes specialists in a myriad of sectors including retail, healthcare, financial services, transport and leisure. The team handles matters at both a local and national level for regional and global clients. 'Inspirational leader' Petra Billing and the 'extremely knowledgeable' John Kittle lead the teams in Sheffield and Leeds respectively; Billing has specialist knowledge of mining and minerals litigation and Kittle focuses on commercial landlord and tenant matters and portfolio management work. Senior associate Rob Shaw is also well regarded. Long-serving partner Matthew Lonergan left to join Shoosmiths LLP in mid-2018.
Petra Billing; John Kittle
Other key lawyers:
‘DLA Piper has profound knowledge of its subject matter and deep specialisms, which is unusual for a firm in its location‘.
‘The team is very experienced and dedicated with an impressive client list. It also takes the time to get to know its clients so it understands the key drivers and internal process which impact its approach to issues‘.
‘Petra Billing is an inspirational leader. Her knowledge of the mines and minerals world, its law and practices is unrivalled‘.
‘Rob Shaw is one of the best technical landlord and tenant solicitors around‘.
‘John Kittle is extremely knowledgeable and has excellent judgement‘.
‘Petra Billing is a reliable and trusted adviser. She is always available when urgent support is needed and pulls together high-quality and concise advice on short notice‘.
J.D. Sports Fashion Plc
Dixons Carphone Plc
British Airways Plc
The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc
Aggregate Industries UK Limited ( UK subsidiary of LafargeHolcim Limited)
Heineken UK Limited
- Representing Telereal Trillium in the Court of Appeal against a non-domestic rating decision of the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) affecting one of its properties.
- Handling all property litigation work for Debenhams Properties Limited including defending service charge claims brought by landlords of shopping centres and acting in hostile lease renewal proceedings.
- Acting for Telereal Trillium in a case relating to the interpretation of an RPI rent review clause, which increases the rent at double the inflation rate.
- Advising Heineken UK Limited on all the disputes arising from its property portfolio.
- Representing Tata Steel UK Limited in multiple dilapidation disputes, tenancy terminations, overage agreements and break option issues.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's Leeds team, which forms part of the global firm's national practice, includes experts in the retail, transport, education and telecoms sectors with practitioners focusing on niche areas of expertise. Team head Damian Hyndman is highly regarded for telecoms-related property disputes, Alison Oldfield is a key name nationally for reputationally sensitive disputes and protester and campaign group-related issues; and insolvency specialist Andrew Todd has recently handled a number of high street company voluntary arrangements (CVAs). Associate Charlotte Miller is noted for her portfolio management expertise.
‘The team at Eversheds Sutherland really puts its clients first and utilises its expertise to handle a broad range of complex matters‘.
‘Charlotte Miller is a bright star and one to watch for the future‘.
WM Morrison Supermarkets Plc
The Peel Group
Legal & General
Sportsdirect.com Retail Limited
Hammerson UK Properties Plc
- Advising Network Rail Infrastructure Limited on issues relating to raising revenue from the sale of its commercial estate.
- Representing Harcourt Developments Unlimited Company in a dispute in the Business and Property Courts affecting residential development land including defending the presentation of a winding-up petition.
- Acting for Clydesdale Bank Plc in high-value possession proceedings.
- Representing Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc in the judicial review of the planning permission for the demolition of its store in Brentford.
- Handling all property litigation matters for Sports Direct including break notices, lease renewals and vacant possession issues.
Pinsent Masons LLP's expertise spans the full spectrum of property litigation work including dilapidations, lease renewals, tenant defaults, judicial reviews, easements, trespass work and town and village green matters. Team head Matthew Baker is a expert in the right to light and assisted the Law Commission with a review of the law in this area. Other key practitioners include senior associate Nicola Charlton, who handles rights to light and landlord and tenant disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Pinsent Masons isn’t afraid of a fight and will support its client’s position and always puts the best foot forward in a strategic and efficient way. It fields a team of genuine specialists in real estate litigation‘.
‘The firm fields a strong and competent practice which is always available and very responsive‘.
‘Matthew Baker is determined on behalf of all his clients to extract the best outcome possible, a real pleasure to work with, calm and self assured, and a great negotiator‘.
United Utilities Water Ltd
Whitbread Group PLC
RR Wing Portfolio Limited
Milton (Peterborough) Estates Company
Sterling Capitol PLC
London & Associated Properties PLC
Crown Student Living
University of Manchester
University College London
London School of Economics
University of London
- Defending United Utilities Water Limited in litigation brought by Manchester Ship Canal Company Limited relating to the right to discharge water into private watercourses.
- Acting for Rachel Securities Limited in a dispute relating to a rent review arbitration.
- Representing United Utilities Water Limited in its first promotion of a compulsory purchase order relating to the proposed construction of a new outfall into the Manchester Ship Canal.
- Acting for Analytical Properties Limited in a claim for the possession of premises currently operating as a nightclub in Brixton.
- Representing Market Row Limited in claims for unpaid additional rent under service charge provisions in leases.
Walker Morris LLP's client base encompasses national retailers and occupiers, landlords, public sector companies and energy sector clients. The group has a notable reputation for handling contentious matters relating to developments, particularly housebuilding work. Other areas of expertise include portfolio management issues, contentious disposals and acquisitions, residential lease forfeitures and enfranchisements; the team is also growing its contentious defective title insurance work. Andrew Beck and Martin McKeague jointly lead the department, Malcolm Simpson focuses on developer clients and Karl Anders handles residential landlord and tenant matters.
Andrew Beck; Martin McKeague
‘The team works closely with in-house counsel to try and identify creative solutions that strongly advocate for its clients, but simultaneously aims to achieve a mutually agreeable solution‘.
‘Walker Morris fields experts in the field who succeed in their key areas and provide an outstanding service at a reasonable price‘.
‘Martin McKeague and his colleagues approach litigation from the client’s perspective. The advice is sound from a legal viewpoint and also commercial. Martin gets to the bottom of the problem quickly and provides real commercial directions, which is unique in the field‘.
Secretary of State for Defence
Department of Health
- Acted for Ramsgate Estates Limited and Torquay Estates Limited as landlord on issues arising from New Look’s CVA.
- Representing The Coal Authority in a claim for the recovery of royalties payable under an agreement for the extraction of minerals and the importation of waste.
- Acting for Plesvale Limited as landlord in the High Court in a claim against its tenant seeking declaratory relief.
- Acting for the landlords of a large distribution centre in a rent review arbitration.
- Defending the Walker Family Trust in the High Court against claims alleging guaranteed tenant obligations in a lease of a department store for a tenant, which is now in liquidation.
Gordons LLP's strengths in the retail sector have recently seen the firm called upon to handle a substantial number of matters relating to company voluntary arrangements. Team co-head Richard Cressall also has notable experience in the institutional property sector and fellow co-head Graeme Davy is a key name for debt recovery litigation. Richard Jobes also has experience in judicial review challenges and compulsory purchase matters.
Richard Cressall; Graeme Davy
Other key lawyers:
‘Gordons is the go-to name for clients in the retail space and has developed a national reputation for this type of work‘.
The Fragrance Shop
- Acting for The Fragrance Shop in the High Court in a landmark case relating to the security of business operation and rights to stay in properties at the end of a lease.
- Advising Limes Developments on the CVA insolvencies of Carpetright and Homebase at its retail parks.
- Representing OneSubsea UK Limited in a possession order and injunction to prevent trespass following damage to one of its sites by a criminal gang in a co-ordinated attack.
- Acting for Iceland Foods Limited in multiple disputes including the removal of trespassers and handling the contentious decommissioning of telecoms equipment.
- Acting for B&M Retail Limited on all its property matters including lease work and estate management issues.
Irwin Mitchell's specialist team, which acts for a range of both local and national clients, has notable expertise in property portfolio management-related work and is increasingly acting for landlords. The group's client roster also encompasses investors, developers, retailers, corporate occupiers, local institutions, banks, estate agencies and charities. The 'extremely impressive' Danny Revitt heads up the department and focuses on landlord and tenant disputes, while senior associate Lisa Stratford handles national property portfolio management mandates.
Other key lawyers:
‘Danny Revitt heads up a very successful nationwide property litigation team, which has broad experience in disputes of all kinds, gets on with it in a proactive way and gives clients confidence in the decisions being made‘.
‘The team is extremely knowledgeable and sets out its advice and tactics in an ordered and logical way, which makes it easy to make decisions on the next steps and the way forward‘.
‘Danny Revitt is extremely impressive and is to be highly recommended. He is an excellent communicator, extremely thorough and a true pleasure to work with‘.
‘Danny Revitt understands the client’s business and quickly gets to grip with risks and the problems being presented‘.
Artisan Real Estate Investors
Tobermory S.A.R.L /Trilogy Property
Real Estate Investors PLC
Clugston Estates Limited
BNP Paribas Real Estate Advisory and Property Management UK Limited
New Era Development (UK) Limited
Redwood (Light Industrial) Propco SARL (part of Logicor Group)
River Island Clothing Co Limited
Jones Lang LaSalle Limited
RGIS Inventory Specialists Limited
The University of Sheffield
Sheffield Hallam University
Henry Boot Developments Limited
Hallam Land Management Limited
Lloyds Pharmacy Limited
Dobbies Garden Centres Limited
A&J Mucklow PLC
Peveril Securities Limited
Devonshire Green (Broomgrove Road) Limited (part of City Estates Group)
M&M Asset Management
Sheffield International Venues Limited/Sheffield City Trust
Sheffield Methodist Church Circuit
Orkney UKCO Limited
Countrywide Residential Lettings Limited
Dyson Industries Limited
Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation
- Acting for a global professional services business in successfully exercising a break option in an office lease.
- Representing Clugston Estates Limited in the exercise of a break option to obtain vacant possession of a large serviced office complex.
- Acting for BNP Paribas Real Estate and Advisory UK Limited on issues arising from the relocation of its city centre office.
- Represented an international property investment company in opposing an attempt by a beneficiary of a covenant from restricting the use of premises on a business park by a retailer.
- Advising a national retailer on compliance by its franchisees in its network of premises.
Shulmans LLP is recognised nationally for its expertise in claims relating to dilapidations and telecoms, and regularly acts for property investors and developers, local authorities, shopping centres, retailers and manufacturers. Team head Michael Watson specialises in the team's key areas and counts national companies as clients. Helen Hill has a niche expertise in party wall and and neighbourly matters, acting for housebuilders and commercial developers, while newly promoted partner Richard Robinson assists developers, funds, public sector bodies and corporate occupiers.
‘Although based in Leeds, Shulmans is definitely competing with the big City firms for quality of work and clients. It is excellent, very focused and thorough. It has particular expertise in the areas of dilapidations and telecoms work and is at the very top of its game in these fields‘.
‘Both Michael Watson and Richard Robinson are top notch. They really understand what the matter is about and how to get the best for their clients. They are also very straightforward to deal with‘.
Commercial Estates Group
Princes Quay Estates Limited
Trust Inns Limited
Costcutter Supermarket Group
Barratt David Wilson Homes
Town Centre Securities Plc
- Acting for Greggs Plc in portfolio management work including defending opposed lease renewal proceedings and property disrepair issues.
- Acting for Commercial Estates Group in telecoms removal issues, dilapidations claims, tenant arrears work and insolvency matters.
- Handling portfolio management work for Princes Quay Estates Limited including lease renewals, terminations and dilapidations.
- Representing Trust Inns in all its contentious real estate work including tenant insolvencies, rent recovery work and terminations.
- Defending Saint Gobain in a dilapidations claim brought by one of its landlords.
Squire Patton Boggs
With notable expertise in compulsory purchase and land compensation cases, Squire Patton Boggs also has a strong track record in the retail, leisure, utilities and charities sectors across the full range of commercial landlord and tenant matters. David Holland leads the national team 'with gravitas and mature authority' from the Leeds office and is a specialist in land compensation matters.
‘Squire Patton Boggs fields a team of professionals who have an excellent commercial understanding, which is crucial, alongside strong but sensitive management of the client’s expectations for a successful outcome. The team meets clients needs throughout‘.
‘David Holland listens, understands the situation and makes recommendations as to the strategy and actions with a balanced command and forcefulness. He leads the team with gravitas and mature authority‘.
Manchester Airport Group
Birmingham Airport Limited
United Utilities Group plc
Provident Financial plc
Reach plc (formerly Trinity Mirror Group plc)
American Greetings (Clinton Cards)
Signet Group plc
Cancer Research UK
The Mansion Group
Henry Boot plc
Six Degrees Group
2 Sisters Food Group
Mr Richard Hartle
TIP Trailer Services UK Limited
London Borough of Redbridge
Western Power Distribution plc
Electricity North West Limited
S P Manweb plc
- Representing United Utilities Group plc in a range of compulsory purchase and land compensation matters.
- Acting for Manchester Airport Group in land compensation claims relating to public works at Stanstead Airport.
- Handling all contentious real estate matters for Reach plc including landlord and tenant matters, break clauses, dilapidations and development disputes.
- Acting in landlord and tenant matters for AG Retail Cards Limited relating to its 400 Clintons Cards stores nationally.
- Representing Provident Financial plc in a range of landlord and tenant matters including dilapidations and service charge disputes.
Blacks Solicitors LLP's recently expanded property litigation group handles the full spectrum of contentious matters, from development disputes to landlord and tenant matters. The group has built a reputation for acting for lenders and LPA receivers in property disputes, and solicitor Aimee Hutchinson is a key contact for holiday and home parks clients. James Teagle leads the department, while associate solicitor Rachael Donnelly has specialist knowledge of agricultural law and enfranchisement issues.
‘The team at Blacks is always readily available and the instructions received are always clear and concise. It also includes approachable individuals, particularly at partner level‘.
‘Blacks is a unique firm due to the communication between client and professional. Clients experience a high level of expertise and never feel let down by the team‘.
‘James Teagle goes above and beyond the call of duty‘.
‘Rachael Donnelly is quick to respond on matters requiring urgent attention and is available at all times‘.
‘Aimee Hutchinson is extremely knowledgeable in the park industry. No matter what the question, issue or problem, she can always be relied on for professional, detailed and knowledgeable advice. Her industry knowledge is outstanding and she is a real credit to Blacks‘.
Aura Finance Limited
HNW Lending Limited
West One Loan Limited
- Representing HNW Lending Limited in a claim against a borrower and personal guarantors for a breach of mortgage terms.
- Representing a lender in a recovery claim.
- Acting for a client in a dispute relating to a conditional break clause.
With a niche focus on the pub industry, Gosschalks also has notable expertise in the high street retail sector and fields a separate residential team. Rob Hastie heads up the practice and is a lead adviser for Pubs Code work. Victoria Quinn specialises in landlord and tenant issues for high street shops and betting offices, Julia Williams handles possession claims, injunctions and opposed lease renewals for pubs, and Rachel Garton focuses on service charge disputes, long leaseholds and residential possession claims.
‘Gosschalks undoubtedly stands out for its expertise in the pub industry – no other firm comes close‘.
Ei Group plc
William Hill Plc
Wellington Pub Company plc
Wilko Retail Limited
Costcutter Supermarket Group
W H Brakspear & Sons Limited
Greene King Plc
- Acting for Ei Group plc in a judicial review of the Pubs Code Adjudicator’s advice.
- Representing Ei Group plc in a tenant’s challenge to the enforceability of the beer tie.
- Acting for Ei Group plc in a Pubs Code case.
- Representing Unique Pub Properties Alpha Limited in a possession recovery by opposing the tenant’s application for a new lease.
- Acting for Wilko Retail Limited on a lease renewal and a dilapidations claim.
At Lupton Fawcett, Rob Cooke leads the teams in Leeds and Sheffield. Cooke excels in housebuilding and pub-related matters. The firm leverages its pan-Yorkshire presence to advise on regional matters including contested commercial lease renewals, easement and covenant disputes, possession claims and tenancy issues.
‘Lupton Fawcett is a good full-service firm, which provides reliably high-quality advice with a real sense of how to meet commercial clients’ needs with a personal touch‘.
‘The team is extremely knowledgeable, approachable and technically excellent. It really cares about getting the best results and is a delight to work with‘.
Victoria Hall Management Limited
Redhall Group Plc
The United Reformed Church
Scott Albion Property Limited
Mr Marcus Heaney
Leeds Building Society
- Acting for an individual in the Court of Appeal in an adverse possession case.
- Acting for a landowner in a dispute over title deeds dating back to the 17th century.
- Obtaining an injunction for individuals enabling them to proceed with a residential development.
- Representing a client in a claim against a party wall surveyor.
- Acting for an international company in multiple arbitrations arising from a construction project in the food manufacturing sector.
Shoosmiths LLP, which launched in Leeds in late 2016, is continuing to expand in the city, and the team now includes experienced property litigator Matthew Lonergan - who joined after more than 20 years at DLA Piper UK LLP - and senior associate Michael Gaughan. The team forms part of the firm's national practice and regularly handles development constraints work, development agreements, portfolio management issues and insolvency and distressed property matters.
Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP focuses its efforts on the retail sector and regularly acts for retail tenants, as well as property investors and owners. The firm's other sector expertise includes food, renewables and healthcare, while the group is also noted for its port expertise, which it leverages to advise on local Hull matters. Stephen Kell and Nick Dean jointly lead the group; Kell acts for owners of investment properties and business tenants, and Dean handles landlord and tenant work.
Stephen Kell; Nick Dean
‘Andrew Jackson is a key firm in the East Yorkshire and Hull region for contentious property matters‘.
Associated British Ports
Carpetright plc/Storey Carpets Limited
Wykeland Group Limited/Bridgeland Developments Limited/Watergate Developments Limited
Bretby (GP) LLP/Centurion Asset Management Limited
Kick School Group
Coopland & Son (Scarborough) Limited
Sheffield Investment Company Limited
Greyhawk Propco No. 1 Limited
Gleeson Generation Limited
Wren Kitchens Limited/The West Retail Group Limited
- Acting for a farmer in a right of access dispute.
- Representing an individual and the trustees of the Westerby Pension Fund in a construction dispute involving a dilapidations claim.
Clarion moved into real estate litigation work in mid-2017, and the team is now made up of two fee-earners, a trainee and a paralegal. The practice sits within the firm's real estate group and focuses on landlord and tenant work and estate management issues, particularly dilapidations. Legal director Sophie Morley leads the team, drawing on her experience of development issues and disputes relating to tenant insolvency and mortgage arrears.
‘The team at Clarion is very responsive to client needs, provides clear advice and comes up with solutions for a speedy and successful conclusion to matters‘.
‘The individuals in the team really do understand what is needed for a claim to succeed‘.
FDS Informal Foods Limited (Honeymonster) part of Benecol Ltd
Heritage Care Villages Limited
TFG Capital Limited
AllScripts Healthcare (UK) Limited
Leeds City Council
- Acting for Asics UK Limited in a conditional break clause issue and subsequent dilapidations claim.
- Representing Allscripts Healthcare (UK) Limited in various estate management issues including break notices and the operation of a conditional break.
- Representing a developer in a High Court application for pre-action disclosure under an option agreement.
- Acting for FDS Informal Foods Limited in a dilapidations claim.
- Representing TFG Capital Limited in numerous secured lending default scenarios.
At DWF, Stephen Green heads up the practice across the North East, Yorkshire and the Midlands out of the firm's Leeds office. His work focuses on both commercial and residential landlord and tenant law, including disputes relating to service charges and dilapidations, lease renewals and repossessions.
The newly established team at Gateley Plc primarily focuses on the housebuilder market through the expertise of practice head Gavin Winter. Winter, who joined the firm from Watson Burton LLP in late 2017, also advises landlords and tenants on disputes over dilapidations, service charges, break notices, rent reviews and lease renewals. Other clients include corporates, investors, asset management companies and retailers. Simon Ingham is also recommended for residential development disputes, Gerard Khoshnaw is a mediator, and Andrew Johnson is another name to note.
‘Gateley has a good, commercially aware team, which has some good partners and provides a one-stop-shop which results in a seamless approach to resolving complex legal problems‘.
‘The team at Gateley is happy, professional and motivated and it shines through in the work it does. It keeps the client regularly updated, provides robust professional advice and achieves the desired results‘.
‘Gavin Winter manages cases well and ensures that processes are managed effectively and communicated well‘.
‘Gerard Khoshnaw is an experienced partner who is on the client’s side and very good to deal with‘.
‘Simon Ingham is very good commercially and a technically capable partner‘.
‘Andrew Johnson is down to earth, a good leader, professional and understanding of his client’s needs‘.
Bovis Homes Limited
Taylor Wimpey plc
Crest Nicholson plc
Miller Homes Limited
Spinney Homes Limited
Avant Homes (England) Limited
Bloor Homes Limited
Avignon Capital Limited
- Acting for Crest Nicholson Plc in the contested valuation of a plot of land in the South East.
- Representing a farming family in a dispute with a developer relating to the terms of an overage agreement.
- Advising a housebuilder on long stop provisions in a conditional contract relating to the purchase of residential development land.
- Acting for Bovis Homes Limited in a claim for damages and injunctive relief for nuisance against an occupier of a neighbouring site.
- Acting for the landlord of a multi-tenant commercial property in Norwich in a claim brought by a tenant for damages and injunctive relief.
LCF Law is noted for its leasehold enfranchisement strength alongside expertise in other landlord and tenant work, acting for clients at both the local and national level. Ragan Montgomery leads the team from the firm's Bradford office and associate Tom Edwards acts for clients in the County and High Courts.
Other key lawyers:
South Western Trains
Yorkshire Building Society
Citi Space Ltd
London Property Investments
Woodhead Group of Companies
International Society for Krishna Consciousness Limited
Grovehall Estates Limited
- Acting for Indomito Properties LLP in a dispute relating to the interpretation of a rent review clause in its lease.
- Representing Omavale Limited in a commercial lease renewal claim relating to the termination of French Connection (UK) Limited’s lease in Central London.
- Handling multiple property disputes for a charity including lease termination issues.
- Acting for Yorkshire Building Society in several dilapidations claims and the recovery of commercial rent arrears.
- Representing London Property Investments Limited in multiple dilapidations claims and contested lease renewals.
McCormicks handles the full range of contentious real estate work with particular knowledge of commercial landlord and tenant work; the group also leverages the firm's strength in the sports arena to acts for clients in the sector on property disputes. Philip Edmondson leads the group and Heather Roberts specialises in retail work; Roberts' expertise also includes development-related issues, shooting rights work and lease mandates.
Other key lawyers:
The Premier League
John Strutt Conservation Foundation
Executors of John Herbert Strutt Deceased
Leeds United FC
John Strutt Centre for Parrot Conservation
John Strutt Memorial Foundation
GMI Holdings PLC
- Acting for the Premier League in a dilapidations claims made by its former landlord.
- Handling all property management issues for the estate of the late John Strutt, including forfeiture issues, right of way work and adverse possession claims.
- Representing Leeds United FC in contentious property issues relating to the Elland Road Stadium and the club’s training ground.
- Representing the John Strutt Centre for Parrot Conservation in a boundary dispute.
- Acting for GMI Holdings PLC in multiple property disputes including a boundary dispute and development issues.
Raworths' expertise focuses on complex land disputes across the rural and agricultural sectors. Clients include SME and owner-managed businesses, entrepreneurs and high-net-worth individuals. Matthew Hill heads up the department and acts for institutional and commercial landlords and tenants, landed estates and individuals.
‘The team at Raworths deals with high-quality work at all levels of the court system and has a practice of a much larger firm but without the prices associated with Leeds practices‘.
‘Raworths fields an approachable and sensible team, which has the ability to deliver on promises‘.
‘Matthew Hill is equally adept at fashioning a careful settlement when appropriate, or taking a very robust approach if the matter is one which needs to be litigated‘.
The Trustees of the Rockspring Hanover Property Unit Trust
Parkmount Estates Company (Allerton) Limited
The Yorkshire Agricultural Society
The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes
H. & F.N. Smith (Ellis Laithe) Limited
- Handling a range of property litigation matters for Parkmount Estates (Allerton) Limited including rights of way issues, adverse possession of development land work, and rent recovery matters.
- Acting for The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes in various issues arising out of the disposal of its national property portfolio.
- Acting for individuals in a development dispute.
- Representing a client in a claim for interference with a right of way over commercial land.
The practice at Rollits LLP is particular recognised for its specialist knowledge in dilapidations, contentious lease renewals and restrictive covenants issues. Chris Drinkall leads the practice and commercial litigator Ralph Gilbert handles contested break clauses, easements and restrictive covenants work.
Other key lawyers:
University of Hull
Hull City Tigers
SuperStadium Management Co
East Riding College
At Schofield Sweeney, associate Laura Salvati heads up the Leeds property litigation team and has notable strength in estate management issues relating to lease renewals, break clauses, rent recovery and dilapidations; she also regularly acts for developer clients. James Staton leads the group in the firm's Bradford office.
Laura Salvati; James Staton
‘Schofield Sweeney is a well-known medium-sized firm which has a solid practice in real estate and commercial landlord and tenant work‘.
‘Laura Salvati is an absolute perfectionist in all she does. She is on top of all the legal points that arise in a matter and produces first-rate instructions; a real team player who is a joy to work with‘.
Games Workshop Limited
Shearings Group Limited
Trafford Centre Limited
Dilbag Cloth House Limited
Kingston Unity Friendly Society
Up and Running (UK) Limited
Thomas of York Limited
Closegate Hotel Group
Persimmon Homes Limited
- Representing a national retailer in a dilapidations claim.
- Acting for a property investment company in multiple lease renewals.
- Advising a pension trustee company on the interpretation of a payment clause in an overage deed.
- Acting for an industrial occupier in a dilapidations claim.
- Assisting a house developer with the purchases pursuant to option agreements.
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited's practice is one of the key names for property litigation in the Sheffield market and is led by Elizabeth Shaw, whose work spans landlord and tenant disputes, dilapidations, professional negligence claims, contested lease renewals and possession actions. Nick Lambert is also a key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Wake Smith employs some of the best in the profession for the level of work it undertakes and has an excellent reputation in Sheffield. The team is very knowledgeable on key issues put to it and, thanks to a variety of different specialisms, can deal with all property matters with ease‘.
‘The team as Wake Smith has tremendous knowledge, excellent communicators who are highly efficient at their work, and a strong desire to see a project through while maintaining a high standard‘.
‘The stand-out practitioner is Elizabeth Shaw. She is always approachable and willing to assist, she rapidly assesses a situation for a client and offers clear and simply understood advice. Clients are put as ease by her manner and her judgement is sound‘.
‘Elizabeth Shaw is extremely approachable and down to earth and it is easy for clients to form a relationship with her‘.
‘Nick Lambert is ready and willing to give help on some of the most complicated issues‘.
Salis Properties Limited
Salvation Army Trading Company Limited
Nottingham One Limited
Westfield Health Contributory Scheme
G I Group Recruitment Limited
Shrewsbury Hospital Estates
London & Associated Properties Limited
Turner Investments Limited
- Acting for a landlord in a damages claim for failure to repair.
- Representing a client in a complex right of way claim.
- Acting for a client in a dilapidations claims relating to a listed building.
- Assisting a landlord with serving section 20 notices on a mixed use building.
- Handling issues relating to dispute over quasi-easements of parking.
The dedicated team at Ward Hadaway primarily acts for commercial and public sector clients with particular expertise assisting NHS trusts and other healthcare clients, and handling portfolio management issues. Sharon Mathieson leads the group and splits her time between Leeds and Newcastle; she specialises in dilapidation claims, service charge issues, break notices, lease renewals and possession matters. Associate Simon Thirtle advises clients including landlords, tenants and private individuals.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Ward Hadaway is always very responsive to clients’ needs and delivers practical advice in a timely manner‘.
Canal & River Trust
County Durham & Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
Northumberland Tyne & Wear NHS Foundation Trust
- Acting in arbitration proceedings relating to the price payable for development land.
- Representing a university in an application of rights of pre-emption in favour of the freeholder on the disposal of the university’s leasehold interest in several properties.
- Acting for an occupier client in possession proceedings.