DLA Piper maintains a national practice from its Sheffield office, with clients including property developers, commercial occupiers, heavy industry companies and multinationals; key local clients include Tata Steel and Sheffield Wednesday FC. Practice head Nigel Howard handles a diverse range of matters including town centre regeneration projects, residential and mixed-use developments, and portfolio sales and acquisitions. Stephen Blacksell advises funders and operators on development projects, with a particular strength in student accommodation matters.
Commercial property: Sheffield, South Yorkshire in Yorkshire And The Humber
‘I have worked with Mark Keeling for 2 years. I have found Mark to be excellent and very easy to work with – commercially-minded, concise and always available. He also has a thorough knowledge of my business, which is invaluable.‘
‘Good strong advice. Very balanced in their views. Very genuine approach.‘
‘Stephen Blacksell – Very switched on and sound legal adviser. Big supporter of our sectors and knowledgeable in it.’
Sheffield Wednesday Football Club
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and Roundhill Capital
Tata Steel UK
The University of Sheffield
Langley Properties Limited
J F Finnegan
University of Sheffield
Price Check Toiletries
- Acting for ITM Power on the acquisition of manufacturing facilities in Sheffield.
- Advised Watkin Jones on its acquisition of a large purpose built student accommodation and build to rent site in Sheffield and the subsequent back-to-back purchase and onward sale of the site to an AIG Fund.
- Acting for Tarmac on a lease agreement for a new port facility at Tilbury 2. This will be the UK’s largest multi-product deep water wharf and rail linked operation.
CMS advises developers, investors, landlords and occupiers at a regional and national level on a variety of matters, including property acquisitions, portfolio management issues and property developments. Key contacts include Chris Chambers, Rebecca Kitchingham, Tanya Holt and Sarah Meldrum.
Irwin Mitchell advises clients in Sheffield and at a national level on a range of matters, with particular expertise in retail-to-residential and mixed-use property redevelopments. The group's client roster encompasses national developers and financiers; the team also receives referrals from international firms. Steven Richardson focuses on strategic land matters, while senior associate Jennifer Ayris is noted for her landlord and tenant work.
‘The IM commercial property team are extremely diligent and provide commercially-focused, targeted advice.‘
‘Kevin Fox is a particular stand-out, being consistently available as required.‘
‘Good knowledge of the sector and detailed nuances. Responsive and flexible to needs of our business.‘
‘Very flexible to our way of working. Understands our resources and constraints.‘
Canal Road Urban Village
Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation
Commercial Estates Projects
Countrywide Residential Lettings
Dobbies Garden Centres
Fusion Global Management
Hallam Land Management
Henry Boot Developments
HSBC UK Bank
J F Finnegan
MBM Asset Management
National Westminster Bank
River Island Clothing Co
Select Property Group
Sheffield City Trust Group
Sheffield Hallam University
St Paul’s Developments
The International Mutual Fund
Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust
- Advised an offshore trust fund on the acquisition, refinancing and regeneration of a town centre in the Midlands.
- Advising Fusion Students on the acquisition, development financing and delivery of numerous sites across the UK.
- Advising Canal Road Urban Village on a £250m regeneration project for New Bolton Woods, Bradford.
Keebles handles a range of property transactions and development projects, advising lending banks, developers, and corporates, with matters spanning the healthcare, retail, development and banking sectors. The team works across Yorkshire and nationally on mandates including property transactions, commercial leasings, developments and financing matters. Practice head Richard Smith works closely with investors on the acquisition and disposal of properties as well as assisting corporate clients with commercial development projects.
‘The Commercial Property Team are personable, pragmatic and commercially minded, with a tenacity to get deals done.‘
‘I have worked with most of the team over the years, and they all share the same values.‘
Sheffield Business Park
St Pauls Developments
Coalfields Regeneration Trust/CRT Property Investments
Ackroyd & Abbott
Sky House Co
- Advising Howarth Group on the pre-letting of Unit 2A AMPlify at the Advanced Manufacturing Park Rotherham to the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority.
- Advising Sky House on the acquisition of part of an old Sheffield paper mill site from BDW Trading, forming part of a proposed 284-home development.
- Advising Empire Property Group on an £80m refinance and group restructure.
Shoosmiths LLP advises a wide range of clients in Sheffield and Yorkshire and has received new mandates from major developers, expanding beyond its work with prominent retailers, local authorities and investors. The Sheffield-based team also sits as part of the national real estate practice, which handles transactions and development projects. Practice head Thomas Hall specialises in strategic land acquisitions, and Kellie Hatton assists with property developments and investment transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very professional, friendly service.’
‘Diverse team willing to off load work to another colleague where they have more appropriate knowledge and skill than the main contact.‘
Ackroyd & Abbott
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
ETEL (Kwik Fit)
Hallam Land Management
Henry Boot Developments
Invesco Real Estate
James Hall and Company
Select Property Group/Vita
The Brook Group/ Quest Property
The Restaurant Group
Underwood Meat Company
Commercial Estates Group
- Advised Hallam on a number of significant acquisitions and disposals, including the sale of land at Melksham.
- Acting for Buccleuch Property on all aspects of its development portfolio including handling new acquisitions and advising on the subsequent development, pre-letting and sale of those assets.
- Advising The Gym on its lease acquisition of a Sheffield gym, where the previous tenant had entered administration.
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited advises businesses and local organisations around Sheffield and real estate investors with local and national portfolios on transactions, including financing high-value portfolio acquisitions and disposals. The team is also involved in local town centre regeneration projects and has niche sector expertise in healthcare property purchases and reorganisations through Lisa Davison. Practice head Neil Salter specialises in retail investments, regeneration projects and development issues, and director Paul Gibbon focuses on transactional work for office and industrial clients.
‘Ben Spencer – always get draft documents out within 24 hours of receiving instructions.‘
London & Associated Properties
Salvation Army Trading Company
Sheffield Diocesan Board of Finance
Turner Investments /First Degree Investment Management
Westfield Contributory Health Scheme
Vauxhall Tavern London
Eastco Homes Limited
Sheffield Property Association
Hill House School
- Advised Aestrom on the acquisition of the Old Town Hall in Sheffield as an asset of community value, with bank funding.
- Advised The Salvation Army Trading Company on entering into an agreement for the grant of a 15-year lease subject to the development of a new national distribution centre for the company.
- Advised First Degree Investment Management on the purchase of a city centre multi-let mixed-use office and retail investment property.