With over 30 years experience, DLA Piper's Nigel Howard is a leading name for advice on regeneration schemes, where he acts for developers, public bodies, landowners, multinational corporates and financial institutions. He also acts for housebuilders, commercial developers and public bodies on developments in the leisure, logistics and education sectors. Stephen Blacksell is active in student accommodation developments. Mark Keeling handles sales and acquisitions, landlord and tenant, and large portfolio corporate and finance work.
Commercial property: Sheffield, South Yorkshire in Yorkshire And The Humber
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Blacksell; Mark Keeling
‘Mark Keeling – responsive, practical, commercial. Always a pleasure to deal with.’
‘Great work and support with the right level of guidance.’
‘DLA Piper are able to offer both a comprehensive range of partners and associates, as well as being expert and local to my organisation. They are extremely responsive and have provided an excellent service over many years.’
‘Nigel Howard has provided a great service and continues to do so. Nigel is very helpful, supportive and responsive, providing both a comprehensive and high quality service.’
Tata Steel UK Ltd
Langley Properties Limited (MAS REI)
University of Sheffield
ITM Power Plc
Sheffield Wednesday Football Club Limited
- Advising Tata Steel UK on a wide variety of issues in relation to its property portfolio and as part of that mandate acting on the 1300 acre Llanwern production facility in South Wales.
- Acted for the University of Sheffield on a number of AMRC sites, including the advanced manufacturing and research centre at Broughton, which involved negotiating and completing the letting documents between the Welsh Government (as owner of the site) and Airbus as the University’s tenant.
- Advised CA Ventures on acquisition of a site in Hackney Wick London with the benefit of a planning permission for mixed-use development comprising offices on the ground floor and over 200 student beds on the upper floors.
CMS demonstrates 'great strength and depth' of expertise in managing diverse portfolios of assets across the retail, industrial and office sectors. Practice head Chris Chambers is particularly active in the management of light industrial, logistics and retail sites. Tanya Holt supports institutional investors and large occupiers on their commercial real estate requirements, while Rebecca Kitchingham specialises in healthcare and large-scale purchase and funding work. Sarah Meldrum focuses on retail commercial property transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Tanya Holt; Rebecca Kitchingham; Sarah Meldrum
‘The people – an excellent combination of differing styles and skill sets across a small team. Accessible and practical, whilst maintaining high standards of due diligence and compliance.’
‘Tanya Holt and Chris Chambers – Excellent combination of skill sets, practical and diligent execution of instructions.’
‘The CMS Sheffield team has great strength and depth. The type of work that the team undertakes is diverse and CMS can support that. They have the capabilities to deal with run-of-the-mill asset management work through to complex agreements for lease on our developments.’
‘Sarah Meldrum heads up our team in Sheffield and her client service is excellent. She goes out of her way to help and, with her involvement on industry bodies, also has up-to-date and useful intel and know-how at all times.’
CBRE Global Investors Limited
Columbia Threadneedle Property Investments
Blackrock UK Property Fund
Sidley Austin LLP
Sheffield City Council
Aviva Life & Pensions UK Limited
Basildon Borough Council
Cordatus Property LP
Dunedin Property Asset Management Limited
Glasgow City Council
MS Amlin Limited
National Grid UK Pension Scheme Trustee Limited
NewRiver REIT plc.
Tarmac Cement and Lime Limited
The Crown Estate
The University of Sheffield
Travelex UK Ltd
Vestas-Celtic Wind Technology Ltd.
Wolseley UK Limited
Battersea Project Phase 2 Redevelopment
Battersea Project Phase 3A Development Company Limited
- Advised Civitas Investment Management on the acquisition of one of the UK’s largest care providers, comprising of 72 healthcare facilities across the UK.
- Acted for Vita Group on the acquisition and development of the canal side site at St Johns, Manchester to create two co-working/co-Living towers that are set to become a key residential component in Manchester.
- Advised Sidley Austin LLP on the pre-letting of the upper eight floors of 70 St Mary Axe, one of the newest additions to the London skyline.
Irwin Mitchell is a reputable national name for all manner of land development, regeneration and mixed-use development schemes and finance work. Martyn Holland has over 30 years of experience in investment and development projects, as well as commercial landlord and tenant matters. Danny Revitt leads the contentious side. James Knowles and Michelle Beaumont are also recommended. Andrew Wallis departed for Clyde & Co LLP.
Martyn Holland; James Knowles; Michelle Beaumont
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent availability, excellent knowledge of our sector and organisation, good responsiveness, particularly during the past year with the challenges of COVID and the restrictions on working.’
‘The team members I have worked with have all been responsive, very knowledgeable, thorough and commercial.’
‘In addition to all the qualities mentioned above all are approachable and build an excellent working relationship making communication simple and enjoyable.’
Henry Boot PLC
Wilton Developments Limited
Rula Developments Limited
Furnival Quay Limited
Sheffield Hallam University
Vistry Partnerships (Yorkshire) Limited
Jones Lang LaSalle Limited
Newmarket Lane Limited
Gravity Fitness Limited
Jackson and Jackson Limited
Micklegate Developments Limited
Fusion Global Management LLP
Dobbies Garden Centres Limited
Dyson Industries Ltd
HSBC Bank PLC
Artisan Real Estate
Strata Homes (Yorkshire) Limited
Excel Parking Services Limited
Country Style Foods Ltd
Christeyns (UK) limited
St Paul’s Developments Ltd
Crescent Developments (York) Limited
Heworth Green Developments Limited
- Advised Newmarket Lane Limited (a Joint venture between Henry Boot Developments and Yorkcourt Properties) on development of the 200 acre logistics development site, ‘The Wakefield Hub’ at J30, M62.
- Advised Tawnywood Ltd on re-gear and reversionary lease of Odeon Cinema, Nuneaton.
- Advised Rula Developments on purchase and forward sale of Chadderton development.
Shoosmiths LLP continues to grow its regional client portfolio with new instructions from Doncaster Borough Council and South Yorkshire Housing Association. Thomas Hall specialises in strategic land transactions, and regularly acts for Hallam Land Management on their national portfolio, as well as other housebuilders. Kellie Hatton has 'excellent management skills' and focuses on development and investment transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Collaborators. Both with us as clients and also internally as a unit. This is fundamental to helping us achieve our goals effectively and efficiently.’
‘Kellie Hatton. Excellent management skills. This extends to management of us as a client, the internal team at Shoomiths and our matters to get things done on time and to a budget. Minimum fuss.’
Ackroyd & Abbott
ATN Farms Limited
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
Blue Deer Limited
Commercial Estates Group
Countryside Properties Plc
ETEL (Kwik Fit)
Hallam Land Management Limited
Harworth Group Plc
Henry Boot Developments Limited
Invesco Real Estate
James Hall and Company Limited
Litton Properties Limited
Select Property Group/Vita
The Brook Group/ Quest Property
The Restaurant Group (UK) Limited
Underwood Meat Company
Doncaster Borough Council
South Yorkshire Housing Association
- Advising Hallam Land Management, which is the strategic land and planning promotion arm of Henry Boot PLC, who promote and deliver land opportunities through the UK. Advised Hallam on a number of significant disposals to national plc housebuilders, including a mixed-use scheme in Faversham, Kent, a residential scheme in Hamstreet, Kent (Vistry) and on a number of planning promotion agreements, which has involved securing the promotion of approximately 8,000 acres of strategic development land nationally.
- Acting for Buccleuch Property on all aspects of their development portfolio, including handling new acquisitions and then advising on the development, pre-letting, funding and sale of those assets.
- Advising Harworth Group PLC on some of their flagship schemes, including the mixed use scheme at Waverley and Bardon Hill. Advise on a range of matters including, planning promotion agreements, disposals and overage arrangements, and direct development projects of residential and industrial led schemes.
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited acts for GPs and healthcare specialists, care home providers, developers and banks. Its team offers expertise in acquisitions, disposals and commercial healthcare property work. Neil Salter is noted for retail investments, regeneration and development work. Paul Gibbon acts for private individuals and commercial property landlords on disposals and acquisitions of all types of commercial properties.
Other key lawyers:
‘Wake Smith provided the quality of service and professionalism you would expect from a larger firm of solicitors whilst keeping the accessibility of a local business. Every aspect from dealing with reception to invoicing was clear, accurate and professional and we were made to feel like a valued client. We also felt that the cost was extremely competitive for the level of expertise provided and the excellent service we were given.’
‘Timely and professional advice is given.’
London & Associated Properties
Salvation Army Trading Company Limited
Sheffield Diocesan Board of Finance
Westfield Contributory Health Scheme Limited
HSBC Bank PLC
Turner Investments Limited/First Degree Investment Management Limited
Vauxhall Tavern London Limited
Campbell Homes Limited
Eastco Homes Limited
Steps Rehabilitation Limited
Wantage Development Limited
J.A.B. Short Ltd
Sheffield Property Association
- Represented Ponsford Limited in the grant of a reversionary lease in favour of Ponsfords at a rent in excess of £300,000 per annum to Homebase.
- Acted for a private commercial property investment company on the disposal of a specialist industrial facility let to a single occupier with a foreign guarantor. Buyer was a significant player in the national industrial investment market.
- Acted for Pimoroni Limited in relocating from two smaller premises in to this new large commercial unit as part of their expansion.