Commercial property: Sheffield, South Yorkshire in Yorkshire And The Humber
The team at CMS counts landlords, developers, asset managers, investors and occupiers as clients, handling a wide range of matters at both a local and national level. Chris Chambers focuses on asset management work, primarily in relation to shopping centres, industrial estates and offices; Sarah Meldrum specialises in portfolio transactions, Rebecca Kitchingham handles development and investment work, and Tanya Holt has advised on developments, landlord and tenant issues, and property sales and purchases.
While leveraging the firm's global network to handle international mandates, DLA Piper UK LLP is also active in the local market, acting for regional property companies and developers on a range of issues. Nigel Howard leads the department and focuses on development work, industrial asset-related matters and the public sector; Stephen Blacksell heads up the firm's EMEA student accommodation sector group, and Mark Keeling primarily acts for manufacturers and corporate occupiers.
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts and Round Hill Capital
Harrison Street Real Estate
Langley Properties Limited (MAS REI)
Tata Steel UK Limited
J F Finnegan Ltd
Laver Regeneration Ltd
URBO Regeneration Ltd
Wavin Ltd (Mexichem)
University of Sheffield
- Advising a KKR and Round Hill Capital joint venture on the initial purchase of four purpose-built student accommodation assets in London, Glasgow and Coventry.
- Assisting the University of Sheffield with an agreement for the development and lease of an advance manufacturing research institute in Wales.
- Advising Harrison Street Real Estate on its joint venture with Uliving, a subsidiary of Bouyges, to develop a £40m PBSA scheme at Bath Court Birmingham.
- Acting for Langley Properties Limited on the regearing of leases to create a high-value technology park.
- Assisting Tata Steel UK Limited with the management of its UK assets.
Irwin Mitchell's Sheffield team handles the full range of property issues, with substantial experience in strategic land and site assembly issues, investment and management work, student accommodation matters, real estate finance and development, while the team also has strength in the retail, local authority, education, charity and care sectors. Andrew Wallis heads up the group and also leads the firm's national housing, student accommodation and private rented sector team; Steven Richardson focuses on residential developments, Martyn Holland handles investments and development projects, and Kevin Fox specialises in the manufacturing and education sectors.
Henry Boot Developments Ltd
Sibelco UK Limited
Fusion Global Management LLP
Hallam Land Management Limited
Sheffield Hallam University
Select Property Group
The University of Sheffield
Commercial Estates Projects Limited
Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust
Keepmoat Homes Limited
Strata Homes Limited
Persimmon Homes Limited
J F Finnegan Limited
Dobbies Garden Centres Limited
Laver Regeneration Limited
Dyson Group Limited
Larkfleet Homes Limited
The International Mutual Fund
Sheffield City Trust
River Island Clothing Co Limited
Countrywide Residential Lettings
MBM Asset Management
St Paul’s Developments
Outokumpu Stainless Limited
- Advising Fusion Students on its acquisition of a £100m development site in Sheffield.
- Assisting New Era Developments with its £100m development of Sheffield’s new ‘China town’ district.
- Acted for Arora Hotels on the £40m sale of Premier Inn Gatwick Airport and Holiday Inn Stanstead Airport.
- Acting for a retirement living developer on the transfer of a living apartment scheme to an operator company.
With a strong regional client base, Keebles advises clients on development and investment work, and banking issues across the retail, hotel and leisure, healthcare, motor dealer, manufacturing and construction sectors. Team head Richard Smith has particular expertise acting for investor clients, Paul Goel leads the Doncaster-based practice, and Craig Law focuses on hotel and leisure acquisitions and disposals. The team was recently boosted by the hire of HSR Law Solicitors commercial property head Paul Russell.
‘Dealings with Keebles are nothing but excellent. On every occasion the team is knowledgeable and provides accurate advice which is delivered in a professional but personable manner. Truly a first-class service‘.
‘The team takes a commercial view which allows clients to appreciate the risks without going over the top‘.
‘Keebles fields a personable, well-respected team, which provides excellent straightforward advice to its clients‘.
‘The entire team at Keebles is personally committed to providing the most appropriate advice, which is tailored to each individual clients requirements and budgets‘.
‘Clients 100% trust Richard Smith’s ability to ensure legal work is carried out in the best possible way, leaving no grey areas‘.
St Pauls Developments PLC
Sheffield Business Park Limited
Coalfields Regeneration Trust/CRT Property Investments Limited
Designer Contracts Limited
Jaguar Estates Limited
Ackroyd & Abbott Limited
Rockliffe Homes Limited
- Advising Harworth Group on the pre-letting of Unit 3 AMPlify at the Advanced Manufacturing Park Rotherham to McLaren Automotive Limited.
- Assisting Suon Developments Limited with the sale of two industrial units to Threadneedle.
- Acting for HSBC Bank on the provision of a facility to Coppergreen Developments Limited for the purchase of two leisure sites.
- Assisting CRT Property Investments Limited with the refinancing of its property portfolio with Handelsbanken.
- Advising Ashgate Property Developments Limited on the refinancing of its property portfolio with Handelsbanken.
While still relatively new to the Sheffield market, Shoosmiths LLP handles complex matters throughout the local region under the leadership of Thomas Hall, who specialises in strategic land transactions. The team, now counts developers, promoters, local authorities and investors as clients. Kellie Hatton focuses on large-scale regeneration projects and mixed-use developments.
Other key lawyers:
‘Shoosmiths has brought a new edge to the commercial property sector in Sheffield, changing the feel of the traditional law practitioners from a staid and steady persona to a much more inclusive and progressive outlook. The team is strong and consists mainly of local staff who are known in the market, are engaging and are competent in their work. They stand out for their willingness to help, practical advice and personal touch‘.
‘Tom Hall and Kellie Hatton are ever present and hugely resourceful‘.
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
Clugston Developments Limited
ECOM Agrotrade Limited
Hallam Land Management Limited
Henry Boot Developments Limited
Litton Properties Limited
Palmer Capital Partners Limited (and Angle Property)
The Brook Group/ Quest Property
Underwood Meat Company
- Advising Hallam Land Management Limited on the developments at Market Harborough including homes, a shopping centre and a primary school.
- Assisting Hallam Land Management Limited with the promotion of a site at Favershem for new homes, a care home, a supermarket and other commercial space.
- Acting for Buccleuch Property and Litton Properties Limited on the site assembly and development proposals for a new student development in Sheffield.
- Assisting Buccleuch Property with the development of Kettering Busines Park.
- Handling the development of a site in Olney for Angle Property.
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited
Sheffield firm Wake Smith Solicitors Limited handles the full spectrum of property issues at a local and national level with niche strength in the healthcare sector, residential development schemes, and the investment and management of mixed-use schemes. Neil Salter leads the group and has expertise in retail investment, regeneration and development work; Paul Gibbon handles property disposals and acquisitions, and Lisa Davison is an expert in mixed-use properties.
‘Individuals at Wake Smith provide advice which ensures the client has coincidence in the decisions, and have an effective manner of dealing with a variety of property-related matters‘.
London & Associated Properties
Salvation Army Trading Company Limited
Sheffield Diocesan Board of Finance
Steps Rehabilitation Limited
HSBC Bank PLC
Turner Investments Limited
Campbell Homes Limited
Wantage Development Limited
Westfield Contributory Health Scheme Limited
Vauxhall Tavern London Limited
Eastco Homes Limited
J.A.B. Short Ltd
- Acting for an investment company on its acquisition of an office space in Darlington.
- Advised Analytical Properties Limited on the refinancing of its retail property portfolio.
- Assisted Turner Investments Limited with the disposal of land for a major residential development scheme.
- Advised Turner Investments Limited on the sale of multi-let premises.
- Acting for Yorkshire Bank PLC on the acquisition and development funding of the construction of a new regional specialist neurocare facility.