The ‘responsive and experienced’ Sheffield-based team at CMS excels in advising clients on commercial property transactions. The team enjoys close relationships with property investors, large holding bodies, and major occupiers, which it frequently assists with acquisitions and disposals, and is also active on corporate leasing matters. Led by Tanya Holt, who regularly works with institutional investors such as BlackRock, the team’s offering is bolstered by asset management expert Chris Chambers as well as key contacts Rebecca Kitchingham and Sarah Meldrum. The arrival of Helen Balliger from DWF further strengthened the practice’s offering for logistics clients.
Commercial property: Sheffield, South Yorkshire in Yorkshire And The Humber
Other key lawyers:
Rebecca Kitchingham; Sarah Meldrum; Helen Balliger; Chris Chambers
‘The CMS Sheffield office provides a cost-efficient, responsive and experienced commercial property service.’
‘Sarah Meldrum: very hands-on, hard-working, personable and a capable team manager.’
ARA Dunedin and The Carlyle Group (JV)
Arrival Automotive UK Limited
Aviva Life & Pensions UK Limited
Basildon Borough Council
Blackrock UK Property Fund
CBRE Investment Management
Columbia Threadneedle Property Investments
Dunedin Property Asset Management Limited
Glasgow City Council
MS Amlin Limited
National Grid UK Pension Scheme Trustee Limited
NewRiver REIT plc.
Orchard Therapeutics (Europe) Limited
Primary Health Properties PLC
Sheffield City Council
Sidley Austin LLP
Tarmac Cement and Lime Limited
The Crown Estate
The Metrocentre Partnership
The University of Sheffield
Travelex UK Ltd
Verity Trustees Limited
Vestas-Celtic Wind Technology Ltd.
Wolseley UK Limited
- Advised BlackRock UK Property Fund on the acquisition of the prime central London office building Saffron House for £95m.
- Advised The Crown Estate on its sale White Lodge Business Park, a major multi-let industrial and warehousing estate in Norwich for £39.2m.
- Advised ARA Dunedin on a range of purchases, including the £55m acquisition of 10 Yodel sites across the UK.
DLA Piper’s Sheffield real estate practice is very active in portfolio management work and counts national and regional names such as Tata Steel and the University of Sheffield among its key clients. The team, which frequently works alongside the corporate and restructuring practices, handles acquisitions, disposals and broader asset management advice for large corporate entities, and also actively assists with occupations and development projects. The Sheffield team is led by location head Nigel Howard, a key contact for large-scale development schemes and transactional matters. Other names to note include consultant Stephen Blacksell, who manages the team’s close relationships with major student accommodation providers, and Mark Keeling, who is noted for his property portfolio advice.
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Blacksell; Mark Keeling; Marc Harvey; Sarah Sprenger
CASL New Cross (London) Property Owner Limited
Canon Medical Systems Limited
EQT Real Investments Sarl
Heygate & Sons
ITM Power (Trading) Limited
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts
MAS Real Estate Inc
Miller Homes Limited
Rhodia UK Limited
Sheffield Wednesday Football Club Limited
Tata Steel UK Limited
Tes Global Limited
University of Sheffield
- Advised Tata Steel UK Limited, one of Europe’s largest steel producers, on a wide variety of issues relating to its diverse property portfolio across the UK and Europe.
- Acted for the University of Sheffield on a number of AMRC sites, including AMRC Broughton, AMRC Samlesbury, and AMRC Derby.
- Advised Vaillant Limited on the construction and taking of a lease of new manufacturing premises at St Modwen Park, Derby.
The ‘extremely knowledgeable’ commercial property practice at Irwin Mitchell is noted for its portfolio management advice. Corporate clients and property developers regularly instruct the practice to handle the lettings and transactional aspects of property estates. The team also assists with flagship development projects, including major infrastructure and regeneration schemes. The practice is led by Leeds-based contact James Knowles, while the Sheffield office is home to key contacts Martyn Holland, who advises on real estate investments, and Ben Rogers, who is noted for his development expertise. Anastasija Beard is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Ben Rogers; Martyn Holland; Anastasija Beard; Guy Whitehead
‘Excellent responses to general and specialist queries.’
‘Irwin Mitchell takes time to understand our organisation and overall direction.’
‘Guy Whitehead is on your side.’
‘They are extremely knowledgeable in their field. Always available to answer queries, big or small. Client portal is very useful. We have a great working relationship. If we need advice from other specialisms, it is always on hand.’
‘Anastasija Beard is an outstanding individual. Highly efficient and knowledgeable in her field.’
Al Ain Holding LLC
Arcam Developments Management 1 Limited
Artisan Real Estate
Artium Group Limited
Christeyns (UK) limited
Country Style Foods Ltd
Crescent Developments (York) Limited
Dobbies Garden Centres Limited
EE Ventures Limited
Excel Parking Services Limited
Ferrero UK Limited
Furnival Quay Limited
Fusion Global Management LLP
Gravity Active Entertainment
HSBC Bank PLC
Henry Boot PLC
Heworth Green Developments Limited
Jaynic Properties Ltd
Jones Lang LaSalle Limited
Keepmoat Homes Limited
Manor Oaks Property Limited
Newham Sixth Form College
Newmarket Lane Limited
Pennine Property Partnership
Persimmon Homes Limited
Peveril Securities Limited
Rula Developments Limited
Sheffield Hallam University
Strata Homes (Yorkshire) Limited
Summit Learning Trust
Swallowfield Homes Limited
The Dyson Group PLC
University of Maryland
Vistry Partnerships (Yorkshire) Limited
Wilton Developments Limited
- Advised Dobbies Garden Centres Limited on the development of its new flagship garden centre in Tewkesbury, which opened its doors in November 2022.
- Advised Rula Developments Limited on the conditional purchase of Plot 6 and Plot 6a comprising 18 acres of land at the former Hatfield Main colliery (currently known as Unity).
- Advised Dobbies Garden Centres Limited on a network deal with strategic partner, CVS Group Limited, one of the largest integrated veterinary service providers in the UK.
The real estate practice at Shoosmiths LLP continues to expand its presence in the strategic land and regeneration spaces, maintaining close relationships with clients such as Hallam Land Management. Developers, property holding entities and investors frequently instruct the team to advise on property portfolios, in the context of which it regularly acts on acquisitions and disposals as well as major development projects. Sheffield’s national head of strategic land Thomas Hall heads up the practice, while Kellie Hatton leads on many development projects. David Goy, who advises on transactional matters, and Kate McGoverne, whose expertise lies in portfolio management work, are also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Kellie Hatton; David Goy; Kate McGoverne
‘The team covers the whole spectrum of real estate, with each person or point of contact seamlessly calling on others for advice when required.’
‘Tom Hall is a calm, composed and well-rounded adviser with a willing attitude and guiding advice.’
‘A committed, commercially aware, close-knit bunch which work hard to deliver an exceptional cost-efficient service.’
‘Kellie Hatton leads the Shoosmiths team and acts across our UK residential portfolio. The work has covered complex restructuring issues, and various development and asset management challenges, such as guiding us through the Building Safety Act, ensuring infrastructure is brought on stream for our new developments in a timely manner, and advising on the interface between the fund and our property managers across the portfolio. Kellie takes a very commercial approach, and is always on hand to direct us to the relevant expertise within Shoosmiths, no matter what the issue.’
‘Extensive knowledge of freehold and leasehold property purchase contracts. Their willingness to contact by phone and their availability/prompt replies.’
‘Kellie Hatton’s professional and expeditious attention to the contract format and inquiries, together with her own experience led input, puts her ahead of all the legal personnel we have dealt with.’
ATN Farms Limited
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
Commercial Estates Group
Countryside Properties Plc
Doncaster Borough Council
ETEL (Kwik Fit)
Hallam Land Management Limited
Harworth Group Plc
Henry Boot Developments Limited
Invesco Real Estate
James Hall and Company Limited
Litton Properties Limited
Property Capital Plc
Select Property Group/Vita
South Yorkshire Housing Association
The Greater Manchester Youth Federation
The Restaurant Group (UK) Limited
Underwood Meat Company
- Advised Hallam Land on the sale of land at Valley Park, Didcot to Persimmon and Taylor Wimpey for the development of up to 4,254 new houses with ancillary sports pitches, primary schools, and community facilities including new healthcare provision.
- Advised Buccleuch Property (Kettering) Limited on the ongoing residential development at Westhill, Kettering.
- Advised Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council on the proposed development of the Rockingham development in Barnsley.
Lupton Fawcett’s Sheffield-based real estate practice is ‘very good at strategic planning’ and primarily focuses on residential and commercial development projects. Claire Mayfield-Tulip, the team’s resident development specialist, maintains close relations with developers across the region, which she assists with all development and letting activities. She co-leads the practice with Julian Rowden, who is a key contact for clients in the agricultural space. The team is also active in advising on commercial sales and leases, for which Sophie Telling is another name to note.
Claire Mayfield-Tulip; Julian Rowden
Other key lawyers:
‘This team is very professional and knowledgeable. They are very good at strategic planning and due diligence, giving us maximum confidence when purchasing development sites.’
‘They are willing to go the extra mile. This often puts us ahead of the game in negotiations.’
Ackroyd & Abbott Limited
Blue Deer Limited
Magnetic Systems Technology Limited
Pennine Lubricants Limited
Silvergate Residential Limited (t/a Dorsia Homes)
Sky House Co
- Advised Walshaw Homes on the funding, development and onward sale of a new 22 house residential estate named “Valley View”.
- Advised Silvergate Residential Limited on the development and sale of Moorcrest Mews.
- Advised Blue Deer Limited on the commercial development of, and ongoing lettings at, The Glass Yard at Chesterfield.
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited maintains a Sheffield offering concentrated on the corporate occupations space, where the practice advises regional and national clients such as the Salvation Army on portfolio management issues, headquarter purchases and leases, and disposals. Practice head Neil Salter is a key contact for investment matters, while Paul Gibbon advises corporate occupiers and Ben Spencer expands the team’s expertise in real estate finance and lease management matters. At the associate level, Laura Saul, who specialises in landlord and tenant work, is also highly recommended for her ‘outstanding attention to detail’.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Gibbon; Ben Spencer; Laura Saul
‘Wide range of commercial property skills with sensible and straightforward advice.’
‘Neil Salter is available and innovative, offering practical solutions to protect the interests of the client.’
‘Sound professional advice.’
Campbell Homes Limited
Eastco Homes Limited
GI Group Recruitment Limited
HSBC UK Bank PLC
J.A.B. Short Limited
London & Associated Properties PLC
Proact IT UK Limited
Salvation Army Trading Company Limited
Sheffield Diocesan Board of Finance
Sheffield Property Association
Toon Properties Limited/Kitchen Craft Design Limited
Turner Investments Limited/First Degree Investment Management Limited
Wantage Development Limited
Westfield Contributory Health Scheme Limited
- Acted for London & Associated Properties PLC and reported to QIB (UK) PLC’s solicitors on its refinancing – a £13.6m senior loan facility affecting over 90 properties, including 10 parades of shops across the country and a Cheshire industrial estate.
- Advised GI Group Recruitment Limited on the lease of its new head office, a 10 year lease at a rent rising to £113,600 per annum.
- Advised LabLogic Group Holdings Limited on its purchase of an office building for £1.25m.