Charities and not-for-profit in Yorkshire And The Humber
Wrigleys Solicitors LLP has notable experience in the charity sector advising on governance matters both nationally and internationally, and frequently handles cross-border work. The charity and social economy practice advises on all charity related matters including charity bond issuances, corporate foundations, charity mergers, and health-based charities. Practice head Malcolm Lynch has a strong background in social investment work and charity mergers. Clients praise the team for its 'reassuring and comforting' approach.
‘The Wrigley’s team has specialisms in a number of areas which gives confidence that they are not generalists. Having access to a number of experts is reassuring and comforting especially in these times of increasing litigation.’
‘Their approach is that of flexibility, accessibility and recognising the importance of relationships so they are always easy to deal with and effective at supporting your business.’
‘Having the charity sector specialists within their legal team ensures that charities can approach the Wrigleys Solicitors team knowing that they have the right credentials and legal experience. It enables the charity team to think around the issues, rather than react to them as they progress the legal matter.’
Youth Futures Foundation
Evangelical Fellowship of Congregational Churches Trust Corporation Limited
Sisters of the Cross and Passion
Sherburn House Charity
Allia Limited and Allia Social Impact Investments Limited
Regent’s Park College
Chichester Students’ Union
Lions Clubs International MD105
- Offered a one-stop shop service to the trustees of Leeds Cares, advising on matters including governance issues, fundraising, charity property work, GDPR projects and employment matters.
- Instructed to advise the Evangelical Fellowship of Congregational Churches Trust Corporation on a range of issues including the appropriate governance structure for churches affiliated to EFCC. This has included advising on the structure of a sale to developers.
- Worked with Allia and its subsidiary, Allia Social Impact Investments, on the issuance of bonds.
Addleshaw Goddard excels at handling complex multi-disciplinary work for charities with commercial arrangements; the group also regularly advises on real estate and banking transactions concerning charity land. Other areas of expertise include advising on Charity Commission investigations and inquiry work. Practice head Pervinder Kaur has 'extensive' knowledge of charity law, and the team is praised for its 'collaborative' approach. Legal director Charlotte Smart and Yorke Eaton also contribute to the group; Eaton handles the establishment and registration of new entities and governance work.
‘The team are very collaborative and work with us to get the best overall results for our clients. Very high level of knowledge combined with practicality.’
‘Pervinder Kaur is a pleasure to work with. Her knowledge of matters is extensive and I know I can have full confidence in her work and advice.’
NFU Charitable Trust
Leeds Becketts University
- Providing pro-bono support to a high-profile charity in relation to its commercial arrangements with corporate supporters and sponsors.
- Provided governance advice to the trustees of a charity established by and connected to a large plc including analysing the charity’s current constitution, considering its current and future objectives and advising on the options for the future.
- Advised a charity on the appointment and retirement of trustees and advised on the distribution of significant funds to a large scale overseas charitable project in pursuit of the charity’s objects.
Hempsons has a high level of experience in social care and charity work, and advises a wide range of clients. The practice is capable of handling a broad range of charity related matters for its corporate and real estate clients through a strong multi-disciplinary approach. National practice head Ian Hempseed and 'exceptional' associate Helen Hirst jointly lead the practice.
‘An excellent team which provides advice and guidance in a pragmatic, useful way.’
‘They are approachable and provide considered expert opinions.’
‘Helen Hirst is an exceptional individual who provided a wonderful training programme to our Corporate Trustee, supporting them in understanding their roles and accountabilities.’
Zoological Society London
Outward Bound Trust
The Royal College of Emergency Medicine
Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists
Royal College of Paediatrics
Letchworth Garden City Heritage Fdn.
Energy Institute 7
The Christie Charitable Fund
York Conservation Trust
Henshaws Society for Blind People
Age UK North Tyneside
Autism Plus Limited
The Avalon Group
Avenues South East
The Avenues Trust Group
Battersea Dogs & Cats Home
British Home & Hospital for Incurables
Christians Against Poverty
Dame Alice Owen’s Foundation
Demelza House Children’s Hospice
DKMS Bone Marrow Donor Centre
Douglas Macmillan Hospice
European Assoc for Cardio Thoracic Surgery
Federation of Jewish Services
The Francis Crick institute Limited
Groundwork North East
Harrogate District Hospice Care
The Healthcare Management Trust
Int. Fed. Of Gynaecology & Obstetrics
Lowry Centre Trust
Macmillan Cancer Support
Manchester University NHS Foundation. Trust Charity
Maritime Educational Foundation
Musicians Benevolent Fund
National Childbirth Trust
North West Air Ambulance
Overseas Development lnslte
Pure Innovations Limited
ReVitalise Respite Holidays
Royal Exchange Theatre Company
Royal Marsden Cancer Charity
Royal Mencap Society
Royal Pharmaceutical Society of GB
Sheffield Hospitals Charity
St Gemma’s Hospice Leeds
St George’s Police Children Trust
St Luke’s (Cheshire) Hospice
Tees Valley Community Foundation
Trustees of the London Clinic Limited
WilfWard Family Trust
Wirral Autistic Society
Yorkshire Cancer Research
- Reorganised the Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations’ annual members’ meetings, modernising the process for electing its trustees, as well as how the chair and other officers are appointed.
- Advised The Society of Occupational Medicine on its incorporation, including preparing the application to the Charity Commission to register the company as a charity, obtaining all necessary permissions from the Charity Commission and the business transfer agreement.
- Advised on the incorporation and release of restrictions for a 200-year-old trust which owns the land for a primary school, and a youth centre in Harrogate, Yorkshire.
Irwin Mitchell has a strong presence in charity law and provides a wide offering to clients. The group advises on sports and leisure charities, religious and education charities, state aid matters, and funding issues. Practice head Laurence Gavin is 'extremely knowledgeable', and senior associate Graham Walker is also noted and specialises in advising charities on real estate matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘A true understanding of all the complexities involved regarding governance issues at a charity which is incorporated under a Royal Charter. Excellent knowledge of charity law combined with an understanding of the complications which arise with the charity also being a corporation.’
‘We have been advised by Laurence Gavin for some years. His personal knowledge and experience of charity law and the Charity Commission are second to none. He responds very quickly when we have an urgent need for advice and at all times meets whatever deadlines we have agreed.’
‘The team has a lot of charity specific knowledge and is proactive in providing advice. They are strong on the charity law implications of what seem to be ‘normal’ decisions and transactions. They are proactive on implications of charity law on property transactions. The team has depth.’
‘Laurence Gavin is extremely knowledgeable. His advice is well considered and explained with a view of options and potential consequences.’
Sheffield City Trust
7 Hills Leisure Trust
Cyrille Regis Legacy Trust
The Athlone Trust
Schools and Universities Polo Association Ltd
South Downs Planetarium
Meadowhall Education Centre
The Cathedral Archer Project
Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust
The Corn Exchange (Newbury) Trust
- Advised longstanding client Maltby Learning Trust on the transfer of Wath Comprehensive School to the trust.
- Assisted Cyrille Regis Legacy Trust with setting up a company limited by guarantee and registering the charity with the Charity Commission.
- Assisted The Athlone Trust with incorporating the charity as a charitable incorporated organisation.
Lupton Fawcett fields a strong charities practice and a specialist ecclesiastical team, which is led by Peter Foskett and provides advice to a wide range of religious charities. Mark Honeywell heads up the charities and social enterprise group, which assists with all legal matters concerning charities and not-for-profit organisations. The department specialises in advising on charity regulations and registrations, incorporations and governance matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are well aware of our requirements, communicate well and in a practical helpful way.’
‘Katie Dawson, senior solicitor has been very helpful and knowledgeable with practical advice.’
‘Katie Dawson has been our main point of contact. She is thorough and professional and nothing is too much bother for her.’
Province and Diocese of York
Leeds Diocesan Board of Finance
Diocese of Sodor and Man
The Grammar School at Leeds
St Leonard’s Hospice York
Laura Waddington Charitable Foundation
Bewerley Grange Chapel Fund
York Oratory Trust
McCormicks has demonstrated notable growth in the charity sector and maintains a substantial regional and national client base, which includes Harrogate International Festivals and the Premier League Charitable Fund. The practice also continues to advise the trustees of the Yorkshire Young Achievers Foundation on tax advice and regulatory guidance. Practice head Peter McCormick is a trustee of the Football Foundation, as well as several other organisations.
‘McCormicks are a friendly and approachable firm. They offer a range of expertise and are always capable of responding on a range of issues. They respond quickly and are receptive to client needs.’
‘The individuals who work for McCormicks are all highly competent and knowledgeable in their fields. They engage with clients, listening to our requirements and preferred approaches responding with good advice to enable us to reach our objectives.’
Harrogate International Festivals
John Strutt Centre for Parrot Conservation, John Strutt Memorial Foundation, John Strutt Conservation Foundation, John Strutt Charity
The Premier League Charitable Fund
War Memorials Trust
The Football Foundation
The Helen Feather Memorial Trust
The Harrogate Operatic Players
The Royal Horticultural Society
The Prince’s Trust
The Outward Bound Trust
- Continued to advise Harrogate International Festival on a widely varied range of legal issues covering employment law, commercial property law and other issues when they arose.
- Acting for the John Strutt Centre for Parrot Conservation and John Strutt Memorial Foundation along with other charities related to the estate of the late John Herbert Strutt.
- Assisting the Premier League with all aspects of its charitable work, including the Premier League Charitable Fund.
Mills & Reeve LLP has a national presence within the charity sector and acts as adviser to many leading UK charities including Children in Need, English Heritage and the British Council. The practice advises on registrations, governance issues, HR policies, funding work and IP matters, and has expertise in specialist areas including assisting health charities and sport and education organisations. National head Neil Burton and Yorkshire charity head Mark Ashton are noted.
‘Technical knowledge and commercial astuteness, in particular managing complex charities.’
‘Mark Ashton – considered, technical lawyer with strong handle of commercial side of things.’
Dove House Hospice Hull
National Railway Museum York
Clean Air Fund
The Countryside Restoration Trust
The Children’s Investment Fund Foundation
King’s College London
Institute of Conservation
Royal Society of Chemistry
- Provided a full-service retainer to the Royal Society of Chemistry including advising it on the governance of connected charitable trusts.
- Advised The Children’s Investment Fund Foundation global charity on governance and regulatory issues.
- Advised Clean Air Fund on the formation of a new £20m joint venture charity.
With substantial charity sector expertise, Rollits LLP is a long-term adviser for the Charity Bank. The practice has also grown its client base in the almshouse space. Regular mandates involve handling charity incorporations, governance mandates and regulatory compliance advice. Gerry Morrison heads up the practice and is a member of the Charity Law Association.
Goodwin Development Trust
Exceed Academies Trust
Leeds City College
University of Hull Students’ Union
St Cuthbert’s Roman Catholic Academy Trust
The Consortium Academy Trust
The Charity Bank Limited
Family Fund Trust
The Holbeck Charitable Trust
Pickering & Ferens Homes
Yorkshire Builders Federation
Scarborough Museums Trust
Bishop Burton College of Further Education
York Bridge Club
Leeds Bridge Club
Halifax Bridge Club
Tadcaster Magnets Sports & Social Club
- Advised The Consortium Academy Trust on its acquisition of Winifred Holtby Academy from Winifred Holtby Academy Trust.
- Provided ongoing advice on security documentation and completion of legal charges on related property matters to Charity Bank.
- Provided ongoing governance and employment advice to Absolutely Cultured regarding numerous charity law and employment issues including trustees’ legal duties and responsibilities in respect of the fulfilment of the charity’s objects.
Stone King LLP is a specialist charity boutique with a national presence. The firm acts for a broad range of charities and advises clients in the heritage and arts, religion and faith, and education sectors. Recent clients for the group include Blue Marine Foundation, Climate Action Trust and WeCare International. Tom Murdoch heads up the Leeds-based practice.
Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust
Society of Jesus
Queen Ethelberga’s (Leeds office)
Faithful Companions of Jesus
Education & Training Foundation (Leeds office)
Tom Murdoch as Interim Manager of the Central Gurdwara (Leeds office)
Resolution Foundation (Leeds office)
Sutton’s Hospital in Charterhouse
Brentwood Roman Catholic Diocesan Trust
English Province of the Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd CIO
The Royal Society (Leeds office)
Climate Advisers Trust (Leeds office)
Sisters of Christian Retreat
Society of the Holy Child Jesus
IMPRESS (Leeds office)
The Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain
Blue Marine Foundation (Leeds office)
Health Empowerment Project (Leeds office)
Charted Institute of Taxation (Leeds office)
Royal Society of Medicine
- Assisted the Resolution Foundation with obtaining the Charity Commission’s consent to widen the charity’s objectives.
- Appointed by the Charity Commission to act as interim manager of the Gurdwara, Europe’s oldest Sikh temple.
- Advised Bradford College on transactions involving the Fresh Start Grant Agreement.
Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP acts for a significant number of local and regional charities and not-for-profit organisations. The group has particular expertise in complex charitable status registrations, and provides advice on all matters to the Viola Trust, a key client for the firm. Daniel Hammond and Kevin Webster jointly head up the team.
The Alcohol & Drug Service
Bridlington Rugby Union Football Club Ltd
European Missionary Fellowship
Families for Individual Needs and Dignity
Forum: North Bank Forum for Voluntary Organisations
Hull IVF Trust
Hull & East Yorkshire Medical Research Centre (The Daisy Appeal)
St Paul’s Amateur Boxing Academy
The Viola Trust
Tigers Sport and Education Trust
Trade Right International
United Kingdom Association of Fish Producer Organisations
- Assisted St Paul’s Boxing Academy with its application for the registration of the organisation as a charitable incorporated organisation.
Schofield Sweeney displays particular expertise in education-related charity work, and handles a broad range of work from trustee appointments and removals, to tax and VAT issues. The group regularly provides seminars and training sessions for charities and not-for-profit organisations on governance, employment and other relevant topics. Chris Schofield heads up the practice.
Girlington Muslim Welfare Association
- Completed a joint development by Doncaster Culture and Leisure Trust and the local authority of a cycleway/track to be used in the World Cycling Racing championship 2020.
- Advised SLP College on the conversion of a privately-owned college for music and drama to a charitable status to ensure sustainability and continuance.
- Advised Bradford Live on issues relating to the redevelopment of the Bradford Odeon Cinema including an application for charitable status.