Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP has a full-service competition law offering, including procurement, state aid and subsidy control capabilities. Nicola Holmes and Charlie Markillie co-head the team; Holmes has particular expertise in firm trading and pricing practices, while Markillie has a broad practice that covers commercial agreements, trade practices, investigations and compliance-related matters. Elizabeth Marshall acts for a wide range of public bodies, with particular expertise handling procurement mandates. Kate Newman has recently departed the firm.
EU and competition in Yorkshire And The Humber
Nicola Holmes; Charlie Markillie
Other key lawyers:
‘Charlie Markillie has outstanding attention to detail. A sharp mind and very quick to develop a deep understanding of our sector. Very willing to help and readily available when needed. Took a balanced and pragmatic view and challenged us where necessary.’
‘Clear and concise advice, dealt with promptly where needed, and fully understand our business and the sector.’
‘Nicola Holmes is approachable and accessible, provides clear and concise advice, and has a very good understanding of our business.’
‘Charlie Markillie was very effective and supported us well through a number of clearance and approvals process.’
‘Eversheds Sutherland have a diverse client base and the team have a really good knowledge and understanding of many different industries and sectors, which is invaluable when it comes to navigating industry wide issues. Their lawyers are technically first class and their advice and guidance is always on point, they really stand out as leaders in their field.’
‘Eversheds Sutherland are really taking the time to get to know our internal team and understand our business, which enables them to better support us and act as a true extension of our in-house team. It also enables them to focus on the big picture and deliver pragmatic business solutions to complicated legal issues.’
‘The team have an excellent understanding of our business, the challenges we face and our attitude to risk. This ensures that we get advice tailored to meet our needs.’
‘Nicola Holmes has worked with our company for many years and provides us with excellent legal support on competition law matters, especially recently on exclusive distribution and sales agreements. She provides pragmatic advice and gives clear guidance to us all, which is valued.’
Pentland Group plc
Walker Morris LLP has demonstrable experience across a wide spectrum of competition matters, spanning from merger control and foreign direct investment, to competition litigation. Its client base includes national and international corporates across a range of sectors, as well as foreign law firms. The team is headed up by Sarah Ward, whose practice covers competition law investigations, merger control, and subsidy control matters. Gwendoline Davies is noted for her expertise in litigious competition law matters, including in relation to cartels and competition damages claims. Former practice co-head Trudy Feaster-Gee retired in February 2023.
Other key lawyers:
‘Sarah Ward is an excellent lawyer who responds quickly and gives practical, actionable advice on competition law matters.’
‘My experience of the WM competition team is that it provides city quality competition advice, relevant to our sector, and is commercial in its outlook.’
‘We enjoy working with Walker Morris. Sarah Ward is a key contact and can provide city level advice at regional fee rates.’
‘Sarah Ward provides practical and insightful advice and is a “go to” lawyer for us in this area.’
Audax Private Equity
- Advised Audax Private Equity on the competition law, merger control and FDI aspects of over ten corporate transactions this year.
- Acting for Danish-headquartered Arla Foods in its multi-million pound claim for damages against the EC truck cartel.
Addleshaw Goddard’s competition team is well regarded in the market, offering an impressive breadth of expertise, including in antitrust, merger control, state aid, and competition litigation matters. It is also active across a range of regulated utility sectors, including the water, transport, and telecoms sectors. Mark Molyneux heads the firm’s wider competition practice from London. Elizabeth Turner left the practice for a position at the CMA in May 2023.
Road Haulage Association
NKT Verwaltungs GmbH
Access to Cash
- Advising Allergan regarding the CMA’s investigation for competition law breaches in relation to the supply of hydrocortisone tablets, which culminated in multi-million fines for excessive pricing and other competition law infringements.
- Advising the Road Haulage Association on an opt-in class action, seeking to represent more than 17,000 class members and £1bn+ in damages.
- Advising Co-op on the competition law aspects of the sale of its petrol forecourt station business, Arthur Foodstores Limited, to Asda.
McCormicks is frequently entrusted by sport sector clients on competition law matters, with a particular focus on the football industry. Beyond that, the firm is also active in the construction and entertainment sectors. The team is led by Peter McCormick from Harrogate, who has experience in handling large-scale competition investigations. Philip Edmondson has recently departed the firm.
GMI Construction Holdings PLC
GMI Construction Group PLC
Andrew Hindle, Serving Sport Ltd and Venue Hospitality Ltd
Leeds United Football Club
- Represented GMI Construction Holdings PLC and GMI Construction Group PLC in a successful appeal against penalties imposed by the OFT, totalling £2.7 million, in an investigation related to bid rigging.
- Represented the Premier League in a high-profile arbitration brought by Leyton Orient.
- Represented the Premier League as interveners in a case brought by HMRC to challenge the football creditor rules regime.