Corporate tax in Yorkshire And The Humber
Pinsent Masons LLP's practice has extensive experience assisting clients with a range of property tax matters, including tax structuring, property investments, property joint ventures and funds, as well as handling mid-market M&A, share plan and incentives work and assisting private equity clients. Peter Morley joined the team from Squire Patton Boggs and leads the practice following John Christian's retirement; he has a breadth of experience across business tax with a focus on M&A transactions, restructurings and IPOs. Associate Andrew McCarthy acts for a number of private equity clients, with expertise in the dental and care home sectors, and also handles real estate-related work for local authorities, funds, investors and universities.
Other key lawyers:
Mayfair Capital Investment Management
UDG Healthcare plc
University of London
Imperial Brands PLC
- Assisted Equistone Partners Europe with the tax aspects of the sale of Travel Counsellors to Vitruvian Partners.
- Advised Cargill on its joint venture with Faccenda Foods including the tax structure.
- Provided tax structuring advice to the shareholders of Morgan Kai on the £20.5m acquisition of its entire issued share capital by Ideagen.
- Advised Grainger on the tax aspects of its acquisition and forward funding of a private rented sector development.
- Acted for Halma on its £42m acquisition of Navtech Radar, which included advising on a number of complex tax issues and tax structuring matters.
The tax strategy and benefits team at Squire Patton Boggs advises on a range of commercial tax issues including matters relating to corporate, finance and property transactions, employee share incentives, employment and pensions, and VAT, and also has contentious expertise. Practice head Mark Simpson has particular experience assisting developers, investors, public sector bodies and funders with real estate transactions, while Timothy Jarvis focuses on private equity, banking and corporate finance transactions
Other key lawyers:
‘The corporate tax team at Squire Patton Boggs has a wide range of corporate expertise, which is delivered with authority in a professional and business-like way.‘
‘Timothy Jarvis has a deep knowledge of tax and is able to communicate very complex tax issues in layman’s language. He combines the expertise with a human touch.‘
‘Timothy Jarvis has encyclopedic tax knowledge and is able to explain the issues in non-technical terms.‘
‘Senior associate Louise Parker provides very thorough and professional support on legal documentation.‘
FORE Advisors LLP
Six Degrees Group
Leeds City Council
Sussex County Cricket Club
- Acted for Fore’s investment club on the tax aspects of two UK property acquisitions.
- Advising Leeds City Council on its strategic partnerships relating to HS2.
- Advised Team 17 on its AIM flotation with a market capitalisation of £217m.
- Advised Inflexion on its investment in Kilmacow.
- Instructed by Live Nation on a range of tax issues.
DLA Piper UK LLP is instructed to advise on the tax elements of regional, national and international corporate transactions. Practice head David Smith handles corporate and employment tax matters, while senior associate Richard Johnson focuses on advising clients on corporate M&A transactions and Lynda Finan specialises employee incentives.
‘DLA Piper UK LLP‘s tax team is fantastically good at articulating complex legal texts and rules in a way that in-house non-lawyers understand. It is also incredibly responsive and has a real depth of commercial knowledge.‘
‘DLA Piper UK LLP offers tax support in acquisition processes that is absolutely invaluable.‘
‘The tax group at DLA Piper UK LLP provides clients with excellent advice and is always available at short notice.‘
NCC Group plc
ZOO Digital Group plc
i-nexus global plc
Henry Boot plc
CVS Group plc
Tyde Group Worldwide, LP
Sytner Group Limited
- Advised i-nexus Global on its £23m IPO.
- Advised Tyde Group Worldwide on the international tax issues relating to its sale of Bundy Refrigeration.
- Advised Menzies Aviation on its purchase of the de-icing, aircraft presentation and ground handling divisions of Airline Services.
- Advised a client on the extension of its share schemes to newly acquired group companies.
- Advised on the sale of Cutwel, a UK supplier of cutting tools based in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire.
The tax team at DWF has expertise, which spans the full cycle of tax-related advice from investments to disputes. The group has a particular focus on real estate transactions, acting for local authorities and private equity firms and their management teams; it also advises on customs and excise duties, and handles private capital and family tax planning instructions. John Toon heads up the practice.
National Pension Service of Korea
Alumno Developments Limited
Commercial Development Projects Limited
West Lancashire MDC
- Advised the National Pension Service of Korea on its acquisition of Goldman Sachs’ newly-developed central London headquarters.
- Acted for the shareholders of Crisp Thinking Group on a partial divestment to and substantial investment by Baird Capital.
- Assisted Wirral Council with a joint venture for the development and letting of over 500 dwellings at a regeneration site at Wirral Waters.
- Advised Assura on the £30m acquisition of Stratford Healthcare Centre.
- Advised Conwy CBC on the tax aspects of its completion of the development and letting of the first phase of the city centre regeneration project at Colwyn Bay.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP assists clients with transactional and structuring tax advice with particular expertise in corporate tax matters, real estate transactions and fund structures, VAT and employment tax. The team frequently leverages its international network in handling cross-border matters and counts the renewable energy, education, waste and local authority sectors as notable areas of strength. Leeds-based David Jervis jointly heads up the firm's global tax practice; other key names to note include recently promoted partner Colin Askew, who handles transactional and private equity tax work and recently joined the Leeds-based team from the firm's London office, and principal associate Amanda Dodsworth, who is a key name for employment tax advice.
- Acted for SPX Flow on the tax aspects of its European reorganisations.
- Advised Network Rail on the tax elements of its £1.5bn disposal of its arches property portfolio.
- Advised Diamorph Group Holdings on the tax aspects of its disposal to and reinvestment with Epiris.
- Advised Lloyds Development Capital on its £800m disposal of the National Exhibition Centre.
- Acted for the shareholders of WTS Holco 1 on its strategic disposal.
Walker Morris LLP's tax group provides its impressive client roster with a range of corporate, real estate and employee tax planning and transactional advice . Directors Sarah Bruce and Nicola Parkinson jointly lead the practice and handle a range of corporate and property tax instructions, with particular expertise in stamp duty and student housing taxation respectively. Parkinson also has experience assisting clients with employee incentive arrangements.
Sarah Bruce; Nicola Parkinson
‘The team has very good specialist knowledge and experience of various sectors.‘
Shareholders of Pipers Crisps Limited
Wright Leisure Limited (t/a Xercise4less)
Servelec Group plc
Avacta Group plc
Renew Holdings plc
Real Good Food plc
Fulcrum Utility Services Limited
Total Capital Partners LLP
- Acted for Endless on its MBO acquisition of Menzies Distribution.
- Acted for Pipers Crisps on the disposal of its business to PepsiCo.
- Advised Wright Leisure on a tax-efficient reorganisation.
- Advised Avacta Group on the availability of benefits under the Enterprise Investment Scheme for potential investors under a proposed placing.
- Assisted Augean with the preparation of a bespoke performance-based cash long-term incentive plan.
Addleshaw Goddard's tax and structuring team advises on a range of corporate tax issues with particular expertise in the private equity, real estate, energy and asset finance sectors. Group leader Justine Delroy splits her time between Manchester and Leeds and specialises in advising on the structure of private equity transactions. The team also includes Martin Griffiths, who recently joined the Leeds office from Charles Russell Speechlys LLP; he has a breadth of tax expertise encompassing the private equity sector and property and funds structuring work.
Other key lawyers:
J Murphy & Sons
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Car Finance 247
North West including ECI
Phoenix Equity Partners
- Acted for the selling shareholders on the sale of Deep Sea Electronics to a purchaser, which is majority-owned by Caledonia Investments.
- Provided William Jackson Food Group with structuring and tax advice on the strategic re-positioning of the group, including the acquisitions of Richard Wellock & Sons and The Fresh Olive Company.
- Advised Pirtek’s management team on the disposal of shares in the company and equity stake in the buyout vehicle, which is backed by US private equity house PNC Riverarch Capital.
- Advising Aberdeen Standard Investments on a number of transactions in the real estate sector involving alternative asset classes.
- Advised Rcaf E-Learning Holding (a Riverside portfolio company) on its acquisition of Atlas Knowledge.
Freeths LLP's tax practice is instructed on the tax elements of a range of corporate and real estate transactions including M&A, project finance work and the structuring of private equity funds. It benefits from the ability to leverage its national network in large instructions. Nottingham-based Bob Neal heads the team, which includes Adrian Hackett in Sheffield.
Other key lawyers:
Linley & Simpson
Hague SR Limited
Xceed Group Limited
JGA Group Limited
Majenta PLM Limited
- Advised Eddie Stobart Logistics on the acquisition of The Pallet Network.
- Acted for Linley & Simpson on the £10m investment from LDC.
- Advised Fleetondemand on a £5m investment from a private equity fund.
- Acted for Hague SR on its acquisition of Venture Business Forms Group.
- Assisted Xceed Group with its sale of shares to Wavestone.
Lupton Fawcett frequently advises clients on the tax-related aspects of corporate and real estate transactions and also has experience handling disputes against the HMRC. Julian Moran splits his time between the Leeds, Sheffield and York offices, and heads up the practice.
Shareholders of Independent Content Services Limited
Shareholders of Smart Buildings Limited
Shareholders of Smyle Creative Ltd
Shareholders of Event Solutions Limited
Atlas North Holdings Limited
Top Treads Limited
Ian Ducker and John Ducker
- Advised the vendor shareholders of Independent Content Services on its sale to the venture capitalist owner of the Racing Post.
- Advised the vendor shareholders of Smart Buildings on its sale to Engie Services Holdings.
- Assisted the vendor shareholders of Smyle Creative and its management buy-in and buy-out team with its acquisition, backed by Rockpool Investments.
- Advised Atlas North Holdings on its simultaneous acquisitions of Air Cat and Special Air Services, with funding support from NatWest.
- Advised on the management buy-out of Top Treads Limited, by way of capital reduction and demerger followed by a share sale.