Pinsent Masons LLP is well-regarded for its corporate tax expertise, with the team regularly acting for FTSE 100 companies, institutional investors and entrepreneurs, and government bodies. It has particular sector expertise in the technology, healthcare, infrastructure and energy, financial services, and real estate sectors. Peter Morley heads the Leeds team, and has extensive experience handling corporate transactions, including M&A, restructurings, and business tax-related matters. Other key practitioners include Andrew McCarthy, who is particularly active in handling matters for private equity clients, and Lois Dale, who has a broad practice that covers both corporate tax and property tax matters.
Corporate tax in Yorkshire And The Humber
Pinsent Masons LLP
Other key lawyers:
Andrew McCarthy; Lois Dale
‘We have had a long relationship with the team and they provide consistent and good quality of work. They have supported us across all parts of the business, whether from advising on M&A, commercial joint ventures, competition implications or financing arrangements, all of which are delivered excellently and with a pragmatic approach.’
‘A pleasure to work with – Andrew McCarthy is excellent.’
Jola Cloud Solutions
Rampion Offshore Wind
- Advised the shareholders of Jola Cloud Solutions Ltd, including its major growth capital investor, BGF Nominees Limited, on Jola’s exit and subsequent acquisition by Wireless Logic Limited, a Montagu backed global IoT connectivity platform provider.
- Advising Kids Planet Day Nurseries Limited (backed by Fremman Capital) on tax matters across its nursery portfolio and the acquisition of new sites.
- Advised on the £279m transfer of offshore transmission assets for the Rampion Offshore Windfarm for long-term client Rampion Offshore Wind Limited.
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs handles tax advice across a wide spectrum of areas, including in corporate finance, property, employee share incentives, employment and pensions, VAT, and private client-related matters. Mark Simpson heads the team, and has significant experience advising on tax planning matters in relation to property transactions, as well as on corporate finance transactions. Senior associate and chartered tax adviser Emma Perez is also noted for her experience in corporate tax matters, particularly in relation to M&A, private equity transactions, and employee incentives. Timothy Jarvis has recently departed the firm.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm always provides relevant, concise and useful advice tailored to our specific needs. It will indicate possible pitfalls and alternative options.’
‘Mark Simpson has a vast knowledge and a way of explaining it in understandable language. He provides quick yet thoroughly thought-out advice. He takes time to understand the background to the deal and outcomes required and provides advice on the options best suited to us.’
Xeros Technology Group plc
Prescient Healthcare Group
Campus Living Villages
- Advised Synova on structuring its investment into Mallcomm, a leading PropTech business.
- Advised FORE Partnership on the strategic investment by KKR in its Tower Bridge Court property in London.
- Advised Octopus Investments in relation to existing and new real estate funds.
Addleshaw Goddard’s tax and structuring team has considerable expertise acting on corporate M&A, real estate, and employment-related tax matters. Practice head Martin Griffiths has a broad practice, with particular experience in handling private equity transactions, focusing on sell-side and management mandates, as well as specialist expertise in acting for start-up and high growth companies.
‘The Leeds practice has a local/regional feel but offers the breadth and capability of a large international practice. The team were very collaborative for many years ahead of our major transaction.’
‘All the team members were capable and easy to work with. They all went the extra mile to get our transaction complete.’
Marks & Spencer Plc
The British Horseracing Authority
British American Tobacco
Alpha FX Group Plc
Deutsche Leasing UK
- Advising British American Tobacco on a wide ranging IR35 project, reviewing contracts with more than 300 suppliers and managing risk for BAT.
- Providing tax and structuring advice to Abrdn UK commercial property on a land acquisition, forward funding and development agreement for the development of a landmark new 12 storey Hyatt hotel in Leeds.
- Advising the sellers of Geoslam on the sale of significant local digital tech business Geoslam to Faro private equity investor Faro Technologies for £37 million.
The tax team at DLA Piper is well regarded in the employment tax arena, with demonstrable expertise in handling global mobility, status disputes, and employment intermediaries. Beyond that, it also is active in relation to M&A, private equity, management structuring, and buy-out transactions. Practice head David Smith has significant experience in handling a full spectrum of corporate tax-related matters, while senior associate Richard Johnson advises on domestic and international taxation mandates.
Other key lawyers:
‘Always make themselves available and are willing to listen and amend if the proposals don’t work in practice.’
‘David Smith is excellent and provides pragmatic, thoughtful and straightforward advice.’
Lloyds Development Capital
Robert Half Limited
Beck & Pollitzer Engineering Limited
DSV Road Limited
Version 1 Software Limited
Times Higher Education
Sytner Group Limited
- Advised the management team of GCX Holdings Limited on their sale and reinvestment as part of 3i’s investment in the GXC Group.
- Acted for TES Global Limited on their acquisition of the entire share capital of Orovia Group Limited from GHC Holdings Limited.
- Advised One Global Broking Services with an international employment tax matter relating to international secondment and joint venture arrangements relating to the United States, Singapore and Taiwan.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP handles a range of corporate tax matters, including corporate reorganisation, transactional tax, and advisory work. It is also noted for its cross-border tax capabilities. Colin Askew heads the group and has expertise in private equity tax-related matters. Other key practitioners include David Jervis, who has a broad corporate tax practice, Matthew Cummings, who is particularly involved in the charity and education tax sectors, and Emily Gaffney, who acts for both public and private sector clients.
Other key lawyers:
David Jervis; Matthew Cummings; Emily Gaffney
‘Colin Askew and his team is knowledgeable, accommodating and efficient in communications – they provide summaries and ‘layman’ terminology as required to enable quick comprehension of legal documentation.’
Pollen Street Capital
Valentia Partners Consulting Limited
Aurelius Investments Limited
Candid Group B.V.
Freeths LLP’s is well versed in handling tax litigation and tax structuring matters. The team is headed by Bob Neal from Nottingham; in Sheffield, Adrian Hackett is noted for his expertise in handling investment fund structuring matters, as is senior associate Alex Angelides. Director Claire Boyce handles tax issues in M&A transactions, exit planning, and corporate reorganisation and restructuring matters.
Other key lawyers:
Adrian Hackett; Alex Angelides; Claire Boyce
Stay Properties ApS
The Floow Limited
Napit Group Limited
BE Content Solutions Ltd
- Advised Stay Properties ApS on the demerger and wider reorganisation of the property-holding structure of the STAY Properties ApS group, which was comprised of the transfer of the UK care homes from Danish K/S entities to a common UK intermediary holding company.
- Advised The Floow Limited on the sale of Direct Line Insurance Group plc and other shareholders of the Floow Limited, to Otonomo Technologies.
- Advised and structured the sale of Napit Group Limited to Phenna Group Limited.
Walker Morris LLP handles a range of corporate tax matters for domestic and international clients, with demonstrable experience advising on M&A, real estate, employment, and litigation matters. Key areas of expertise include share schemes, SDLT and VAT advisory work, and corporate transactional work for private equity and sports sector clients. Nicola Parkinson leads the team and handles share scheme-related matters for international clients. Simon Slade and John Christian recently departed the firm.
‘There is always someone who can help you. If they do not have someone in their practice that can help, then they also work with many other overseas teams that they can draw on.’
‘They are always helpful and get back to you quickly. They work with us on projects which are new to us, but that they specialise in, so they explain things so we can understand them. Very friendly and also professional.’
Kirkland & Ellis
Willkie, Farr & Gallagher
Jigsaw Insurance Services plc
Avacta Group plc
- Worked alongside Kirkland & Ellis to provide clients in the UK and USA with due diligence advice relating to share schemes and incentives.
- Advised on the disposal of BSW Timber group to Binderholz.
- Advised Unite Students in connection with VAT and SDLT matters.