Corporate tax in Yorkshire And The Humber
Pinsent Masons LLP
Peter Morley heads up Pinsent Masons LLP’s corporate tax practice, working in tandem with the corporate department to provide tax structuring advice on high-value M&A deals, public takeovers, IPOs and corporate restructurings. The team also receives direct instructions on employee remuneration issues and matters concerning property tax. Regarding the latter, Morley and senior associate Andrew McCarthy recently handled several complex instructions involving the forward funding of residential property developments. The team also has niche expertise in NEST auto-enrolment work.
Other key lawyers:
UDG Healthcare plc
Imperial Brands plc
CH & Co Catering Group Limited
Lloyds Development Capital
Premier Technical Services Group plc
- Provided tax-structuring advice to MML Capital on three investments from its new fund.
- Provided tax support to DCC on the disposal of its generic pharmaceuticals business to Duke Street.
- Provided tax structuring advice to Primary Capital on its investment into British engineering company Foster + Freeman.
Squire Patton Boggs’ corporate tax practice advises on the breadth of transactional matters, from high-value private equity deals, cross-border M&A and corporate restructurings to IPOs and financing and funding rounds. The group's client roster comprises a cross section of corporates, private equity funds and pension schemes. As head of the national real estate tax practice, Mark Simpson is an expert in commercial property transactions, acting for developers, public bodies and investors. Timothy Jarvis is the go-to name for VAT planning issues and the administration of employee share schemes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Proactive multidisciplinary team that provides practical advice.‘
‘They clearly know their stuff and can easily explain difficult theoretical concepts in a practical way.‘
2 Sisters Food Group
Burton’s Biscuits (Frontier Acquisitions)
- Advised 2 Sisters Food Group on the £67m disposal of Bakery Foods Limited, makers of Matthew Walker Christmas puddings.
- Advised FORE Partnership on its real estate investment portfolio, including the disposal of a retail investment property and the development and financing of numerous UK and German properties.
- Advised Catalis on its sale to Project Sword Bidco for £90m.
High-profile domestic and international clients instruct DLA Piper’s corporate tax experts on the full-scope of regulatory issues and tax planning work; practice head David Smith has extensive knowledge of IR35 tax legislation. The team regularly advises on high-value, international M&A transactions and reorganisations, with recent deals involving complex employee share ownership work and benefits scheme issues; director Lynda Finan is a leading name in this field.
‘Richard Johnson is by far, the best tax lawyer I have had the privilege of working with. He is diligent, responsive and hugely practical, so a joy to work with on any deals, big or small. Fantastic guy to have fighting your corner and very personable too.’
‘David Smith and Sally Robertson assisted us with our tax work and were really excellent.’
NCC Group plc
ZOO Digital Group plc
Henry Boot plc
Sytner Group Limited
Dentsu Aegis Network
Firth Rixson Limited
- Advised publishing company Reach on the forthcoming changes to the IR35 off-payroll working regime.
- Advised Firth Rixson Limited on the disposal of its aerospace and defence industry forgings business, including complex tax issues concerning the company’s import and export activities.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP covers the breadth of corporate tax matters under the leadership of the firm’s global tax co-head David Jervis. Recently promoted partner Colin Askew handles complex tax structuring mandates, with a focus on advising private equity clients, while Amanda Dodsworth leads on employment tax issues relating to flexible benefits, pensions and employee share incentives. The team also has expertise in tax litigation under Matthew Cummings, who also provides advice on HMRC investigations, leveraging his previous experience as an in-house litigator.
‘Great technical skills, practical approach, and responsiveness to client needs.’
‘Colin Askew – a pleasure to work with.’
SPX Flow, Inc
Lloyds Development Capital
Lion-Beer, Spirits & Wine
DER Touristik Group
Pollen Street Capital
- Provided tax advice to SPX Flow on the restructuring of its European operations.
- Provided tax structuring advice to Silverfleet Capital on its strategic acquisition of Microgen Financial Systems Limited, a provider of trust and fund administration software to the trust and corporate services industry.
- Providing tax structuring advice to LDC on its acquisition of US-based corporate apparel business Tailored Brands.
Directors Nicola Parkinson heads up Walker Morris LLP’s corporate tax practice with a focus on corporate and real estate transactional work. The team also provides regulatory assistance as well as advice on employee incentive schemes and VAT tax planning issues.
The Management Team of Servelec Technologies Ltd
Avacta Group plc
Fulcrum Utility Services Limited
Lloyds Development Capital (LDC)
ICP Construction Inc
Evo Business Supplies Limited
- Provided tax advice to the management team of Servelec Technologies Limited on the acquisition of the company by Laurel Solutions Holdings.
- Implemented a growth share incentive plan for FutureLearn Limited in connection to its acquisition by SEEK Limited and the Open University.
At Addleshaw Goddard’s Leeds office, corporate tax issues are handled by Martin Griffiths, who has a broad client roster ranging from owner-managed businesses and high-net-worth individuals to private equity funds and larger corporates. The group also provides tax advice on private equity acquisitions and investments, company disposals and real estate transactions.
Marks & Spencer
Alpha FX Group Plc
Primark Stores Limited
Aberdeen Standard Investments
- Provided tax structuring advice to the selling shareholders of Veincentre Limited to a subsidiary established by Palatine Private Equity.
- Advising Growth Capital Partners on the sale of IT consultancy Infinity Works, including providing tax advice relating to the private equity structure of the deal in addition to negotiating the tax deed and warranties.
- Acted for Dean Hoyle on the sale of Huddersfield Town Football Club.
DWF’s corporate tax practice is particularly active in the real estate sector. Practice head John Toon advises pension funds, local authorities and developers on funding issues, joint venture developments and high-value property acquisitions. The team is also instructed by commercial clients to advise on group restructurings, pension funding vehicles, customs duties, employee incentives and private equity transactions.
National Pension Service of Korea
Assura Group Plc
Inflexion Private Equity
- Acting for the National Pension Service of Korea on its acquisition and leaseback to Goldman Sachs of its headquarters.
- Advising Wirral Council on a joint venture for the development and letting of over 500 dwellings at a regeneration site.
- Acting for property group Countrywide on the disposal of its commercial property consultancy Lambert Smith Hampton.
Adrian Hackett is a key Sheffield-based name in Freeths LLP’s national tax practice, advising on the full range of corporate, capital markets and real estate transactions, fund formations and corporate restructurings. Notable recent engagements included advising on the high-value reorganisation of multijurisdictional property portfolios.
‘Highly skilled and diligent with a commercial understanding of your business.‘
‘Adrian Hackett takes the trouble to understand you and your business.‘
Industrial Personnel Limited
Pebbles Care Limited and Care Holdings Limited
Altana Wealth Limited
Arkk Consulting Limited
The selling shareholders of Gnosys Global Limited
Integrity Print Group
- Advised Altana Wealth Management on structuring and building a social impact fund, with investments sourced from local authorities across the UK.
- Advised the management team of Clean Bidco on the Mobeus Equity Partners-backed investment in Star Brands.
- Advising Industrial Personnel Limited on its £2.5m management buyout and refinancing round.