Corporate and commercial: Hull and East Yorkshire in Yorkshire And The Humber
Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP’s corporate and commercial team has an established reputation as a market leader in the shipping, ports and estuaries fields, while also having a solid client base of SMEs in the dairy and food sectors. Regarding the latter, practice leader Andrew Funnell works closely with Philip Ashworth in York to handle complex regulatory issues concerning imports and supply chains. Nicholas Scott regularly advises on M&A, demergers and management buyouts with a typical deal value of £5m-£10m, and recently promoted partner Jody Horth has a solid practice in commercial contracts, particularly in the renewable energy sector. Other recent highlights involved deals in the software and IT sectors. The team also has niche expertise in garden centre acquisitions. Martin Frost joined the team from Lupton Fawcett in late 2019.
‘My most recent dealings with Andrew Jackson have been around the sale of my business. On this subject, I found them to be excellent, in particular Jody Horth who led the sale particulars’
Woodthorpe Hall Garden Centres Limited
Integra Buildings Limited
H&R Healthcare Limited
Ideal Boilers Limited
PhD Nutrition Ltd
CPD Direct Limited
Bostonair Group (including Boston Energy)
Thompson Commercials Group Limited
East Coast Construction (N.E.) LTD
John Good Group
Blended Products Limited
Modular Movements Ltd
Broady Valves Limited
Lincoln & York
BW Industries Limited
- Advised Woodthorpe Hall Garden Centres on acquiring numerous garden centres from Wyevale, thus considerably expanding its national footprint.
- Acted for Steven Stansfield in his sale of shares in Flatfish to Nippon Suisan Kaisha.
- Advised Richard Lake on the acquisition of Eastern Airways Limited from Bristow Helicopters Limited.
Gosschalks has a strong portfolio of private equity clients which engages the firm's corporate and commercial team on portfolio acquisitions and investment matters. Andrew Tarbutt is a go-to name on this side, while practice head Nigel Beckwith and Paul Plaxton assist owner-managed businesses (on both a local and national level) on M&A, reorganisations, demergers and partnership arrangements, most notably in the construction and property sectors. James Phinn leads on commercial mandates – including high-value supply and trade agreements – for clients across the renewable energy, telemarketing, hotels and pubco sectors; of note are the numerous publicly listed clients on his roster.
ABS Media Limited
Ei Group plc
Massarella Catering Group
Andrew Mackenzie and Julian Pitts (Begbies Traynor) as the Joint Administrators of the Burningnight Group
- Advised Imagesound Limited on the acquisitions of Freedom Music and Amazing Instore.
- Advised Ei Group (formerly Enterprise Inns) on negotiations for a three-year beer and drinks supply agreement with Budweiser Brewing Group for supplies across its UK pub estate.
- Advised the joint administrators of the holding company of the Burningnight Group in relation to the sale of the business and assets of Burningnight Limited and other subsidiary companies.
Rollits LLP is a preferred name for a range of corporate and commercial matters; practice head John Flanagan and Richard Field have particular expertise in mergers and governance issues in the education sector (Julian Wild also specialises in this field). Commercial expansion projects for international food manufacturers and strategic acquisitions for a broad range of SMEs are routinely handled. As the head of the banking practice, Field also provides advice on corporate financing matters. The team also works with the firm's private client lawyers to handle complex succession planning engagements, often drawing on external tax counsel to provide a full-scope service. Also particular to the team is the advice it provides on large-scale employee share and incentive schemes.
‘We have worked alongside Rollits for many years and the ethos of their partners and staff is closely aligned with ours. They have great technical knowledge but are also pragmatic in working towards solutions which they help to deliver.‘
Allam Marine Limited
Hull City Tigers Limited
Rix Petroleum Limited
Donaldson Filter Components
Springfield Solutions Limited
Vantage Motor Group Limited
The Retreat, York
AAK International AB
- Advised Cranswick on its acquisition of Katsouris Brothers.
- Advised reprographics company Springfield Solutions on a partial management buy-out of the company.
- Provided legal advice to RSM Restructuring Advisory as administrator of Summerbridge Doors on its disposal of property and assets.
Wilkin Chapman LLP
Wilkin Chapman LLP’s corporate and commercial team has expanded its capabilities over the past two years under the leadership of Nasim Sharf, who has an established reputation in the local market. The team is particularly strong in handling demergers and spin-offs, with recent engagements coming from logistics and farming companies. Clients in the utilities, food, renewables and plant-tech fields have recently instructed the team on commercial contract negotiations, while other expertise includes succession planning, employee share schemes and incentive structuring.
Other key lawyers:
RMS Group Holdings
John Good Group
Peak Health Distribution
L. A. Hall
- Acted for administrators of Bowler Group on the sale of its business and assets to Jaguar Land Rover.