Commercial property: elsewhere in the West Midlands in West Midlands
Higgs & Sons is a reputable Midlands-based firm with notable expertise in mixed-use schemes, student accommodation schemes and major regeneration projects. Richard Saxton heads up the growing property finance practice, with further expertise in the retail, leisure and hospitality sectors. Department head Cherry Elliott advises investors, private and public companies and banks on transactions involving landlord and tenant matters, portfolio management issues, acquisitions and disposals. Kevin Joynes is recommended for residential development mandates.
La Maison Bleue
Tyseley Energy Park
- Advised La Maison Bleue, a French childcare provision operator, on its acquisition of The Old Station Nursery Limited.
- Advising On the Tools Ltd in connection with its leasehold acquisition of new office premises within Fort Dunlop, Birmingham.
- Advised Duchy Homes on its purchase of land at Chipping Campden School, Gloucestershire.
Lodders Solicitors LLP
Lodders Solicitors LLP fields a sizeable regional practice, which is a go-to name for residential and commercial developers, land promoters, logistics companies, investors and owner-occupiers for strategic land development matters. Mark Miller has over 25 years experience in property development transactions relating to manufacturing and processing plants, commercial offices and residential schemes, care homes and renewable energy installations. Residential development expert James Mottram is 'exceptional'; Nick East, property investment expert Paul Mourton and the 'very efficient' Victoria Longmore are also highly recommended.
‘James Mottram is exceptional. Quick detailed and accurate. Always quick to respond and a safe pair of hands.’
‘Victoria Longmore is very efficient and always chases up outstanding matters, to get matters resolved ASAP.’
Cameron Homes Limited
Spitfire Bespoke Homes Limited
St Modwen Developments Limited
IM Properties PLC
Craigard Property Trading Limited
- Advising charity, Henry Doubleday Research Association, on the preparation for sale and subsequent sale of a multi-use and multi-let site partially designated as an asset of community value in Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Warwickshire.
Wright Hassall LLP
The commercial real estate team at Wright Hassall LLP is 'extremely knowledgeable' with a strong offering in development work led by Claire Waring, who advises landowners, developers and registered providers on developing green and brownfield sites as well as urban regeneration projects. Barry Sankey is a specialist in science and technology park developments; and David Slade focuses on investment property and finance work, while department head Andrew Jones is 'knowledgeable on all matters relating to commercial landlord and tenant issues'. Robert Sprake has a well established reputation in high-value commercial and residential developments; James Polo-Richards has a strong relationship with national and regional housebuilders. Emma Adams joined from Fieldfisher LLP, while Joanna Deffley departed to Shakespeare Martineau LLP.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Commercial Real Estate team and the individuals are extremely knowledgeable, particularly regarding Landlord & Tenant matters. They are a team I very happily recommend to clients for their capabilities, proactivity and reliability.’
‘Andrew Jones is extremely knowledgeable on all matters relating to commercial Landlord & Tenant, highly reliable, personable and the solicitor I always recommend first to any clients seeking a solicitor for commercial transactions.’
‘I have worked with David Slade on many transactions and have always found him to be able to deal with each one efficiently and effectively within the timescales required and provide us with the advice we need as a business. This type of long-term relationship is key to us in helping to manage and grow our business.’
Rosconn Strategic Land Limited
Spitfire Bespoke Homes Limited
Westleigh Partnerships Limited
Deeley Group Limited
AC Lloyd Homes Limited
Orbit Group Limited
- Advised Walsall Housing Group, a registered provider, on a development agreement for the acquisition of 77 affordable housing units on a development site on a golden brick basis.
- Advised Newcore Capital Management LLP on the acquisition from Imperial College London of its innovation and technology park in Ascot.
- Instructed by Bromford Home Ownership Ltd to conclude a complex deed of mutual easement involving six landowners and third parties with interests in four parcels of land to enable the acquisition of and to facilitate a development site.
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP
David Grove is the lead partner at FBC Manby Bowdler LLP's Wolverhampton commercial property department, where he has over 20 years experience handling large residential portfolios and landlord and tenant matters. Andrew Wynne has particular expertise in ecclesiastical law. Key clients include developers of residential and commercial properties, investors, landlords and private clients.
Other key lawyers:
George Green LLP is an established regional practice with a good track record in property sales and acquisitions, and landlord and tenant matters. Kevin Styles, who divides his time between the Cradley Heath and Wolverhampton offices, is the lead partner for site acquisitions and all ancillary work relating to development sites alongside a strong level of expertise in secured lending transactions. Alex-Jayne Lowe and associate Paul Kettle are recommended for transactions, corporate support issues and secured finance work, and Paul Woodman is a key name for residential developments.
St Francis Group
Telent Technology Services Limited and Telent
Eriks Industrial Services
C G Murray & Son Limited
Ortus Secured Finance I Limited and OSF (UK)
Dudley College of Technology
- Advised Stondon Capital Limited, a short term lender, on a secured loan facility to fund the acquisition of an iconic Grade I listed building in Essex.
- Advised the Dudley College of Technology on the acquisition of the properties from which a local arts and design college was operating, including one leasehold property and the main site.
- Advised Ortus Secured Finance on the provision of a facility secured over a high end London property for the purpose of refinancing a loan advanced by Punjab National Bank.
Lanyon Bowdler is instructed by a diverse group of clients encompassing regional developers, landowners, farming companies, landlords and tenants. Group head Praveen Chaudhari is based in Telford and primarily focuses on commercial and agricultural property transactions including sales, acquisitions and commercial work. Shrewsbury-based Andrew Evans has a notable practice advising developers and landowners, and has been recently active in promotion agreements in the region.
Other key lawyers:
Coly Anchor Developments Limited
The Wynne-Finch Estate Trust
Wynne-Finch Farms Limited
Border Oak Design and Construction Limited
Galliers Homes Limited
- Advised Gallier Homes on an unconditional contract for the purchase of development land with the benefit of outline planning consent for a residential development in excess of £3m.
- Advised landlord, Coly Anchors Developments, on granting a lease of a Grade II listed premises to be used as a public house.
- Advised Wynne-Finch Farms in connection with the lease and purchase of a site in Anglesey together with an option to purchase within the lease and the related purchase of adjoining land.
MFG Solicitors LLP
Spread across Birmingham, Worcestershire and Shropshire, MFG Solicitors LLP has a broad presence in the region and offers advice on property investment and development mandates, regeneration projects and landlord and tenant matters including acquisitions, disposables and leases for developers and corporate occupiers. Team head Clare Regan specialises in investment deals and commercial and retail developments. In Kidderminster, Sarah Astbury and Maynard Burton are the key partners.
‘Very approachable, friendly and honest. An understanding of the instruction and immediate action.’
‘Maynard Burton, Chairman. Very experienced and sound; a leader in the market. A very good lawyer and a sound businessman.’
H2O Real Estate
Chessgrove Park Day Nursery Limited
Goldthorn Properties Limited
Evesham Properties Limited
- Advised H2O Real Estate Limited on its acquisition of an office park for £5m.
- Assisting Chessgrove Park Day Nursery with the asset purchase of new nursery premises with plans to redevelop the same and expand the existing nursery business.
- Advised seller, Goldthorn Properties, on the sale of two factories to Wyre Forest District Council for £4.9m, subject to an occupational lease.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP is recognised for its strong presence in the Midlands' real estate market. It fields a 'diverse team with a range of experiences' and is also singled out for its credentials in residential and commercial developments, finance and investment matters, and property portfolio management issues. Practice leader Caroline Irvine is 'astonishingly quick and reliable' and is supported by associate Elizabeth Wright.
Other key lawyers:
‘Shakespeare Martineau has a diverse team with a range of experiences that responded to all of my property purchase/development/letting/sale needs and I will continue to utilise and recommend them going forward.’
‘Excellent team communication. If one team member is away, a colleague will pick up the traces without delay. Very good at rapid response. None of the usual conveyancing delays, excuses and prevarication.’
‘Caroline Irvine (partner): astonishingly quick and reliable. Excellent client communications. Has a talent for galvanising the other side’s legal team into much prompter action than they are used to!’
‘Elizabeth Wright went beyond what was either required or expected to ensure that nothing was going to derail the transaction.’
- Advised a client on the purchase of a commercial shop unit with a residential flat above.
- Advised Horizon 10 Ltd on the purchase of a nursing home which the client was to turn into a children’s home.
Ansons expanded its regional presence with the opening of a full-service office in Sutton Coldfield in mid-2019. Richard Saum, who divides his time across the Lichfield, Cannock and Sutton Coldfield offices, acts for occupiers of commercial property and handles landlord and tenant matters; he also advises on the acquisition and disposal of land for development. Associates Neil Faunch and Laura Pyatt are also of note for property developments and secured lending work, respectively.
‘Ansons is a niche firm with a very high profile in Staffordshire. The property team has a wealth of experience and very good clients.’
‘Very personable and easy access to partners and associates.’
‘The overall ethic adopted by Ansons is one of understanding, and making you feel that they are an extension of your business. All the team demonstrate a thorough grasp of their core areas, and that you are their number one client, and they will support you whatever. ‘
‘Richard Saum has been fantastic in the support of our business, and its continued growth, showing a real understanding for what we do, and the risks we may face on contract negotiations.’
Portal Construction NW Limited / Andrews Property
LPR La Pallet Rouge
- Assisted Boningale Homes with the set-up of a two phased development comprising 120 residential plots.
- Advised clients on a highly complex transaction granting an option agreement for lease and easements across two parcels of land in separate ownership, for the purposes of a gas peaking power station site.
Band Hatton Button LLP
Band Hatton Button LLP is 'technically very good' with a diverse range of expertise in the the purchase and sale of commercial, industrial and investment property, landlord and tenant management issues, estate development work and agricultural property mandates. Key figures in the Coventry office include Philip Costigan, team head Daniel Blood and Dina Parmar.
‘Technically very good and also very client focused.’
‘Nothing is too much trouble, all issues explained to help all stakeholders.’
Sisk Construction Group
Talk Talk Mobile Phones Limited
Heart of England Co-Operative Society Limited
Irwin and Wilcox Support
Allied Irish Bank
- Advising Coventry Boys and Girls Club Limited on the relocation of the club from the old site to the new three-storey, 4,000 sq ft building.
- Advised a private client on the sale of a development site (of circa 140 acres) to a national developer for £4m.
- Acted for landlord, Foregreen Ltd, on the preparation and negotiation of a 10 year lease which included an option for the charity to acquire the freehold property.
Hawkins Hatton Corporate Lawyers Limited has a notable regional practice with expertise in all manner of property transactions including overage deeds, sub-sales and option agreements. Key partner Colin Rodrigues has a substantial track record acting for major banks on real estate lending transactions.
‘Very strong client ethic and outstanding service which is why I recommend clients to Hawkins Hatton. Once a client has been landed with them, the communication from partners and team is first class. This is why I am comfortable in recommending, and as a boutique firm Hawkins Hatton are far more agile than competitors.’
‘Straight talking, no nonsense approach to every deal. The partners seem to arrive at sensible compromises for clients in a prompt, professional manner.’
‘Colin Rodrigues is just consistently world class; the transfer of trust when introducing clients is never in doubt.’
‘Colin has built a team around him, that ensures all aspects I could ever need as a business are covered.’
Royal Bank of Scotland
HSBC Bank Plc
Lloyds Bank Plc
THL (UK) Holdings Ltd
Lansdowne Group Limited
Jhoots Healthcare Limited
- Advised THL Holdings Limited on its acquisition of a portfolio of eight properties from administrators.
- Acted for HSBC Bank Plc on a £6m loan for the acquisition of a well-known Camden-based public house.
- Acted for HSBC Bank PLC on a £2m loan to Jhoots Pharmacy for its acquisition of a portfolio of eight properties.
At Brethertons LLP, senior associate and key figure Bejul Lakhani-Lever assists corporate and individual clients with acquisitions, disposals, secured lending issues and landlord and tenant matters. Tom Ansell heads up the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Hatchers Solicitors LLP
The real estate department at Hatchers Solicitors LLP is led by Valerie Edwards, who is a commercial partner with a wealth of experience in commercial real estate transactions, development work and refinancing issues. Matthew Bowering is the other key figure in Shrewsbury, specialising in transactions, landlord and tenant matters and mandates involving agricultural law.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising a client on the refinancing of its security arrangements involving five properties, three lenders, four separate legal representatives and security documentation including charges, debentures and personal guarantees.
- Acting for the lender on a £4m facility by securing fixed charges on two multi-let freehold properties.
Pickerings Solicitors has a key presence in the Tamworth and Sutton Coldfield area, where its team is praised for being 'welcoming, accessible and professional'. Sue Albini leads the practice with over 22 years experience in commercial property transactions, acting for individuals, developers and corporate clients. Kate Pearce is recommended for landlord and tenant matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The whole team at Pickerings Solicitors work well together to ensure their clients receive the best possible advice. If the partner you are dealing with does not have the knowledge they will pass you on to the partner that does. Not all practices are willing to do that.’
‘The team are welcoming, accessible and professional.’
- Acting for a developer of a new hotel near an airport, negotiating and completing a s.106 agreement for a multi-million pound development.
- Acting for a developer making a loan to a landowner for the development of a site for residential development with a view to a joint venture being agreed.
Talbots Law impresses clients with its 'knowledge and second-to-none can-do attitude', which it leverages on commercial real estate transactions and the related areas of work. Team head Nicola Reeve has developed a specialisation in advising franchisees in the food and drink sector, while Paul Reed is lauded for his 'work ethic and exceptional knowledge'; he is regularly instructed by residential developers on acquisitions, plot sales and refinancing issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are excellent. They are very helpful and approachable. The wide span of knowledge available from the practice means that we can go to Talbots for any legal matter and know that they will be able to accommodate our needs. Their knowledge and can do attitudes are second to none.’
‘Paul Reed’s work ethic and knowledge is exceptional. He is always willing to help and will do his upmost to deliver for you as his client.’
- Acted on the acquisition of 24 fast food restaurants from a leading global chain.
- Advised on a promotion agreement relating to the release of land from the Green Belt and future planning permission in isolation or in conjunction with adjoining parcels of land.
- Acting for a client on the acquisition of a site in the middle of a city regeneration area conditional on planning permission for development into a residential or mixed-use development.