Personal injury: claimant in West Midlands
Irwin Mitchell undertakes a substantial caseload of personal injury matters for children and adults who have sustained brain injuries or other injuries, such as spinal cord injuries and multiple orthopaedic traumas. Its child abuse team also has an excellent reputation. Other core areas of expertise include industrial disease/workplace illness and international personal injury claims. In addition, the group advises on a multitude of cases for claimants who have suffered illness as a result of substandard food safety and hygiene. Regional managing partner Lisa Jordan is highly recommended.
Stephen Nye; Alida Coates; Clive Garner;Amandeep Dhillon; Luke Daniels;
Other key lawyers:
Stuart Henderson; Hilary Wetherell
‘Excellent and well known team that acts quickly and is a pleasure to work with’.
‘Has a national network of experts and specialists who have seen it all and done it all. The team has an excellent profile nationally and internationally and for many clients are the ‘go-to’ lawyers for complex and high value PI claims’.
‘The group has a particular focus on ensuring clients’ rehabilitation needs are met, in addition to securing appropriate compensation. They have a strong client care ethos‘.
‘This team is unique because of the consistency of legal quality amongst all of its members‘.
‘Stuart Henderson is extremely thorough and highly intelligent‘.
‘Hilary Wetherell is excellent for serious injuries, she is technically excellent and has very good client handling skills as she is very down to earth‘.
‘Hilary Wetherell is a very experienced solicitor who commands respect from her peers and provides a first-rate service to clients while supporting families with compassion and understanding‘.
‘Luke Daniels tends to train the majority of his team members and it shows – they are all bright, articulate and hard working. He is one of the country’s top historic abuse lawyers: he tends to achieve higher settlements than most other abuse lawyers, and really cares for the clients‘.
‘Stephen Nye can be relied upon to deliver a stand-out performance in complex cases’.
‘Clive Garner is pre-eminent in the field of cross-border personal injury field‘.
- Advised the personal representative of an estate on an asbestos related disease claim.
- Advised a claimant on an asbestos related claim.
- Advising a claimant on a case involving a traumatic brain injury, spinal injury and other orthopaedic / soft tissue injury.
- Retained by over 50 claimants in relation to an action against their tour operator, Thomas Cook Tour Operations Limited following an all-inclusive holiday to the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hugharda in Egypt in 2018 where many hundreds of holidaymakers suffered severe gastric symptoms which in some instances led to hospitalisation in the resort and upon return to the UK.
- Appointed to represent a family of 8 claimants who travelled to the El Paso Hotel, Port Aventura in Spain in the summer of 2013 who experienced an undiagnosed gastric illness during the holiday.
Anthony Collins Solicitors LLP has built up an excellent reputation in the personal injury arena, thanks to its strong track record of handling a wide range of claims. Areas of expertise include road traffic accidents, accidents at work, as well as in other public places. The group is also adept at handling claims suffered as a result of crime, among various other matters. Rankeshwar Batta is a prominent name in the market.
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Huntbach;Victoria Fullilove; Ann Houghton
‘The team was all really supportive, knew exactly what the other was doing and kept me completely up to date with the proceedings‘.
‘The team is excellent at understanding customer requirements‘.
‘All team members are caring, intelligent and competent‘.
‘Rankeshwar Batta is very personable, has lots of common sense and has a good touch with clients‘.
‘Rankeshwar Batta is very professional‘.
‘Rankeshwar Batta works very hard to get the best outcome for his clients; shows real understanding and empathy for the difficulties his clients face‘.
‘Rankeshwar Batta is wonderful with clients, a great tactician with superb judgment and carries the respect of his opposite numbers‘.
‘Victoria Fullilove knows every detail of her cases and is also keen to help her clients get their lives back on track‘.
‘Ann Houghton has a wealth of experience and knowledge, with a genuine caring attitude to the client she supports‘.
- Secured a settlement for the client’s wife who was killed as a result of a road traffic accident.
- Acting for the claimant (a 16-year-old young girl) who suffered serious head injuries as a result of an accident when she was crossing the road.
- Acting for the claimant who was about to pull out of her drive and was waiting for traffic to pass when suddenly an ongoing vehicle collided with her at speed by way of a side impact.
- Acting for a catastrophic injury client who is a minor and is bringing a claim by way of her mother and litigation friend.
- Recent instructions on a catastrophic personal injury claim that was a result of a road traffic accident that took place in Ireland.
Lanyon Bowdler has an enviable reputation in serious injury cases, such as those involving spinal, amputee and brain injuries. Its focus is almost entirely on high-value cases of maximum severity and on catastrophic injury cases, in addition to key specialisms in military and international cases. Team head Neil Lorimer is highly experienced in dealing with complex brain injury cases. The team continues to grow at a senior level with the recent promotion of Debbie Humphries to partner.
Other key lawyers:
Dawn Humphries; Debbie Humphries; Louise Howard; Phillip Roberts
‘A consistently professional, efficient and empathetic team who have worked tirelessly to help me. They respond to all queries within the hour no matter how trivial and re-assure me that no questions are trivial‘.
‘The personal attention given to each case by the partners and associates is exceptional. The team has great strength in depth but the leadership comes from the very top. As a regional firm they are easily on a par for delivering a service with the best firms around‘.
‘The team does not just look at the claim they look at the individual’s life and lifestyle. They look at the bigger picture and how they can help in ways other than just the legal things that need to be tackled‘.
‘Neil Lorimer is a very experienced, highly organised and efficient Head of PI who knows how to run a successful claim’.
‘Neil Lorimer was outstanding & very professional. I would recommend him and his team 1,000%!‘.
‘Neil Lorimer has an exceptional eye for detail and will leave no stone unturned. He is highly experienced and has pursued many high value cases to trial’.
‘Dawn Humphries is a very knowledgeable spinal injury specialist who has a good understanding of this complex subspecialty of PI and is a key advocate for improved services‘.
‘Debbie Humphries is a first-class litigator with excellent soft skills when it comes to managing client expectation and navigating a difficult case through to a conclusion‘.
‘Clear communication is key and Debbie Humphries nails it every time we chat‘.
‘Louise Howard has gone beyond the extra mile to support me and can be relied upon for accurate, timely and eminently pragmatic legal advice. Her attention to detail and proactive attitude are very good‘.
- Representing the claimant in a road traffic accident (RTA) claim in which he sustained a below knee amputation, a serious head injury and multiple injuries.
- Represented the claimant in a RTA claim in which she sustained a severe traumatic brain injury.
- Represented the claimant in a RTA claim in which he sustained a severe brain injury, a pneumothorax and an injury to his right shoulder.
- Represented the claimant in relation to an accident at work in which he suffered an amputation of his left foot and a psychiatric injury.
- Representing the claimant in relation to an accident at work in which he was crushed and sustained multiple injuries including a psychiatric injury.
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP
Tim Gray heads up the practice at FBC Manby Bowdler LLP, which covers both serious injury and multi-track/catastrophic injury cases. It has a well-established reputation for handling complex and severe high-value brain and spinal injury cases, as well as industrial disease cases. The firm generates work from clients locally, regionally and nationally. Susan Todhunter is renowned for her experience in brain injury cases.
Other key lawyers:
Susan Todhunter; Adam Wilson; Rachel Lomas
‘Excellent group of specialists who are very knowledgeable and very approachable’.
‘Susan Todhunter and Tim Gray in particular stand out as experts in their own right and great colleagues to work alongside in complex litigation. They empathise with their clients, are able to get to the nub of an issue and have a good relationship with their experts‘.
‘Susan Todhunter is responsive, approachable, extremely knowledgeable, reassuring and fair‘.
‘Susan Todhunter is a very experienced and well regarded solicitor with a razor sharp mind‘.
‘Adam Wilson is very approachable and has a lovely manner with clients‘.
‘Rachel Lomas is thorough and professional’.
- Representing the family of a deceased individual, who became trapped in an air cupboard during the night at a time share apartment, sadly dying of hypothermia having broken cold water pipes in her attempts to escape.
- Represented a pedestrian who was struck by a taxi as she crossed the road – 55% liability was secured by negotiation.
- Represented the claimant motorcyclist who suffered serious orthopaedic injuries.
- Represent a child claimant who suffered severe brain injury when she fell from an upstairs window. Council worker found negligent at trial.
- Represented a front seat passenger who suffered very serious brain injury in a head on collision.
Higgs & Sons has a dedicated team, which advises on catastrophic injuries, as well as injuries at work and road traffic accidents. It also advises on industrial diseases caused by asbestos, noise, vibrating equipment and chemicals. In addition, the group advises on injuries suffered while abroad. Andy Shaw, who heads up the team, has a particular focus on head injuries and fatal accidents.
Other key lawyers:
Claire Burnell; Steven Santy
‘What sets the team apart is its client care and attention to detail. The team leaves no stone unturned and isn’t not afraid to take on difficult cases‘.
‘It is a strong team, with a high proportion of experienced practitioners who provide an outstanding level of service to their clients. They focus on rehab and have a collaborative working style, this is what marks the team out‘.
‘It is the foremost medium-sized claimant personal Injury specialist solicitors in the West Midlands‘.
‘Andy Shaw is a great lawyer and tactician. He has a fantastic manner with clients and is able to see the ‘wood for the trees’ and thus able to address the real issues in a case and guide clients to them. He is a tough negotiator who is not afraid to push points to trial‘.
‘Andy Shaw is down to earth, dynamic and pragmatic with realistic expectations from his cases‘.
‘Andy Shaw always has a great command of his claims and has a meticulous approach to case preparation. He is a very shrewd negotiator’.
‘Steven Santy is tireless and is always working to find the game changing point in the case. He is brilliant with his clients who clearly value and like him and is able to express complicated principles of law clearly and succinctly‘.
‘Steven Santy is a wily litigator, who knows the highways and byways of RTA litigation through and through‘.
‘Steven Santy is a super litigator. He is very well prepared, has very good judgment and is always prepared to go the extra mile to get the best result he can for his client‘.
‘Claire Burnell: not entirely sure where Claire manages to find the time to put in the amount of work she does. She leaves no stone unturned in preparing a case‘.
- Advised on a matter where the claimant suffered a stroke as a result of a road traffic accident.
- Advised the claimant who had been involved in a serious motorbike accident when his helmet dislodged at the time of the accident.
- Advising another claimant who was involved in a serious motorcycle accident.
- Acted for a front seat passenger in a head-on collision.
- Acted for another claimant who was involved in a head-on collision.
Slater and Gordon undertakes the full spectrum of cases ranging from multiple fatality claims involving children to paralysis, traumatic amputation and brain injury matters. Richard Langton has a wealth of experience of complex personal injury claims, and also advises on other areas such as road traffic accidents, injuries at work and public liability cases. In addition, Langton runs group litigation claims.
Other key lawyers:
YY + XX
- As a result of serious accident the team is now campaigning with Poppy-Arabella’s parents, their MP and safety organisations to introduce a compulsory rule in the UK that all clinicians must notify DVLA if a patient is unsafe to drive, so their licence can be revoked.
- Advising on a RTA where there are multiple claimant injuries – including a fatality.
- Acting for a claimant who was a bus driver and was severely injured when a roadside tree fell on his bus due to its roots being diseased.
- Advising on a motorcycle accident where there was an amputation injury.
- Advising on a fatal RTA.
Philip Edwards, leads the serious injury team at Clarke Willmott LLP, and has a particular focus on adult and child brain injury cases. The wider group's expertise includes matters involving complex psychiatric disorder issues, spinal cord injuries, industrial disease cases and amputation injuries. It is also experienced in fatal accident claims.
Chris Thorne (Taunton)
Other key lawyers:
‘Philip Edwards is highly experienced in neuro trauma and cases of the utmost severity. His personal attention to his cases rather than simply overseeing team work marks him out as a first-class practitioner‘.
- Advising on a complex future loss of earnings claim in a multiple orthopaedic injuries case.
- Successfully resolved a case for a client where an allegation of fundamental dishonesty was made.
- Settled a fatal claim for an elderly man who had been killed when hit by a car based on his family’s dependence on his child care duties.
- Pursuing a complex liability issue following an accident on a corporate team bonding event.
Sydney Mitchell LLP advises local clients on matters involving very minor injuries (as a result of minor road traffic accidents) to accidents resulting in very serious injury. Practice head Mike Sutton is skilled at representing clients who have suffered injury as a result of accidents at work, on the road or any other public place.
Other key lawyers:
David Lydon; Adam Hodson
‘David Lydon stands out as a very experienced, hands on and pragmatic practitioner who is very well able to handle substantial and high value claims across the range of personal injury cases‘.
‘Adam Hodson is very thorough and fights hard for his clients. He leaves no stone unturned and has superb attention to detail’.
- Representing a claimant in a high value claim where the claimant has had some fingers amputated as a result of a work accident and who is likely to require prosthetic fingers to improve appearance and function of hand.
- Acting in a claim for compensation for a pedestrian who was knocked over as a result of an accident involving an uninsured driver and who suffered a traumatic brain injury.
- Represented a client who suffered a brain injury as a result of a road traffic accident and whose claim was settled.
- Settled a claim for the claimant who was involved in a serious motorcycle accident who suffered a serious shoulder injury resulting in him being unable to return to his pre-accident employment.
- Acting in a claim for a motorcyclist who suffered significant leg injury, described as a “de-gloving” injury and which required extensive surgical management.
Thompsons Solicitors LLP
Thompsons Solicitors LLP acts for members of trade unions and private clients on a wide range of mandates. The team is led by Karl De-Loyde, who has more than 20 years of experience. It advises on diverse matters such as severe brain injuries, spinal cord and amputation cases, as well as polytrauma, amputations and fatalities. Dave Fisher is the practice lead for asbestos-related claims.
Karl De-Loyde; Dave Fisher ; Linda Millband
‘Karl De-Loyde is diligent, hardworking and experienced‘.
Unite the Union
Fire Brigade Union
- Mr W was involved in a head on collision between a bike and car, liability was disputed but with expert evidence the firm was successful at trial.
- Acted for a 55 year old pedestrian who was struck by a van whilst crossing the road late at night, he suffered a severe brain injury.
- Represented Mr Lewis who was pursued and ran over by an uninsured farmer, the accident happened on private land.
- Acted for Mr M who was fatally injured whilst working for National Grid, he was assisting to unload a lorry when he was crushed by the crane attachment to the lorry.
The wide-ranging scope of DBS Law's practice covers road traffic accidents, employer liability, public liability and mesothelioma disease cases, among other areas. It regularly advises on various serious injuries, such as head injuries, spinal injuries, amputations of limbs and fatal accidents. Practice head Shairoz Ahmed divides her time between Nottingham and Birmingham.
- The team recovered £22,500 in damages for a client who sustained a severe injury to the right ankle and left elbow following a road traffic accident.
- The team secured over £60,000 for a road traffic accident victim out-of-court after a string of serious injuries to the foot and shoulder, as well as psychological trauma.
GHP Legal has a strong capability in multi-track cases and it is often sought out in cases of the utmost gravity and complexity, including major psychiatric injury cases and sexual abuse claims (where it represents adult survivors). Workplace stress cases are another mainstay of the practice. John Hulme leads the team.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP's Tony Hannington, who handles injury claims for individuals and insurers, has significant experience of dealing with fatal accidents and brain injuries. Other areas of expertise include industrial disease claims, and cases involving amputations and spinal cord injuries. Adam Parry is experienced in high-value matters, and represents clients who have sustained life-changing injuries as a result of serious accidents.
Shoosmiths LLP's team is best known for its expertise in serious injuries, including industrial disease cases, spinal cord injury, brain injury, amputations, fatalities, as well as severe and psychological trauma cases. Department head Sara Hunt handles accidents at work, road traffic accidents and accidents in other public places.
‘As a team the members are collectively and individually very knowledgeable, polite and courteous‘.
‘Provides an outstanding service with a caring attitude’.
Thursfields Solicitors advises on the full range of injuries from road traffic accidents to tripping/slipping accidents. It also routinely advises on workplace accidents, criminal injuries, product and public liability cases and industrial disease claims. Senior associate Bernadette Mackie leads the department.
‘Bernadette Mackie’s handling of cases is exceptional‘.
- Advised the claimant on a claim for damages arising from a road traffic accident when he was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle, the driver of which suffered fatal injuries.
- Advising the client injured in a slipping accident in JD Sports in a claim for damages for personal injury.