Beswicks Legal's team head is Karen Elder, who is particularly strong in construction and engineering disputes. The team's broader workload also includes shareholder and partnership disputes, M&A-related matters and warranty claims.
Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the West Midlands in West Midlands
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP advises clients on high-complexity cases under the leadership of its practice head Guy Birkett, who has over 25 years of commercial litigation experience. Gareth Ruddock, who is a well-known name among a number of key insolvency practitioners, manages specialist groups focusing on insolvency and debt recovery. Brian Aikman specialises in property litigation. Charlotte Clode undertakes commercial and contractual disputes, with a notable strength in IP litigation and media law matters.
‘The best team (by far) in Wolverhampton.‘
‘Guy Birkett is a high quality litigator with great client care skills. Provides good pragmatic advice and a fair cost. Great person to work with.‘
‘I have mostly worked with Charlotte Clode, and she has instructed me on a number of matters in the last year. Charlotte is an excellent lawyer. She balances excellent legal knowledge with being pragmatic and approachable. I have been consistently impressed with her commitment to her clients. Charlotte manages to make every client feel that they are her absolute priority, which is no easy feat when you are as busy as she is.‘
‘FBC properly advises as to how each point will affect us, with clear advice on cost.‘
‘Guy Birkett is efficient, knowledgeable and is able to advise and carry out work on a variety of topics.‘
‘Matches the level of service offered by Birmingham city centre practices at significantly lower cost. High level of partner engagement in all matters.‘
‘Guy Birkett is thoughtful and pragmatic. A good tactician who is always calm and negotiates good deals.‘
Cerus Engineering Ltd
Whitlock & Lowe Ltd
The Entertainment Department (UK) Limited
LXA Construction Limited & LXA Projects Limited
Prime Oak Buildings Limited
Dudley Building Society
Tipton & Coseley Building Society
Leonard Curtis Business Solutions
Newell Palmer Group Holdings Limited and its group of companies
Core Five LLP
- Advised Cerus Engineering Limited on a claim arising from the termination of a contractor, which was connected with serious health and safety issues on a multi-million-pound contract.
- Advising Whitlock & Lowe Limited on a series of substantial and linked contractual disputes concerning multiple contracts on a private estate for wealthy and titled individuals.
George Green LLP's practice, which is led by Neil Williams, handles corporate and commercial disputes for both UK and international clients. Its wide-ranging experience includes professional negligence claims, commercial contracts disputes, public procurement claims and directors’ disqualification proceedings. In 2019, Morgan Rees represented TIA (GB) Limited in court proceedings against a businessman who had received funding from the client for an unfair prejudice petition, and against the client's solicitors who had drafted the funding agreement. Solicitor advocate Liam Owen joined from Bell Lax Limited in 2019.
‘Morgan Rees has been honest in responding to our requests and suggestions, advising us when our desired strategies could have adverse consequences. This means that we trust him implicitly to advise us well.’
thyssenkrupp Materials (UK) Limited
Sims Group UK Limited
Medequip Assistive Technology Limited
Imperial Worldwide Limited
TIA (GB) Limited
Olive Communications Solutions Limited
Inenco Group Limited
RGB P&C Limited
Jeeves Estates Limited
- Acted for Medequip Assistive Technology Limited in a challenge of the intended award of a contract to a competitor by a county council, pursuant to a procurement tender exercise.
- Acting for Colin Poole, the former CEO of Claims Direct plc, in successfully challenging a £21m proof of debt.
- Acting for the defendants in a complex multi-entity high-value corporate dispute concerning a number of care and nursing homes. The claimant has issued a series of claims including derivative claims, applications for freezing injunctions and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
Harrison Clark Rickerbys demonstrates strong capabilities in high-profile and business-critical claims spanning a multitude of areas, such as mis-selling claims, guarantee and indemnity claims, banking disputes and fraud claims. In 2019, Elizabeth Beatty and senior associate Tom Williams acted for Amada United Kingdom Limited in a dispute involving allegations by a customer of defects in machinery. Over the past twelve months the practice has undergone significant expansion; Emma Morgan, who joined from the British Army, is an expert in defence sector disputes. Also notable is wills, trusts and inheritance disputes expert Beth King-Smith 's arrival from Higgs & Sons. Beatty co-heads the practice with Richard Morgan and Hefin Archer Williams.
Pertemps Group of Companies
J Hoots Healthcare
The Paragon Group of Companies
Amada United Kingdom
Precision Castparts Corp
Network Sales and Marketing
- Acted for Precision Castparts Corporation as defendant in a $76m warranty claim relating to the sale of an aerospace component manufacturing business based in the UK and Thailand.
- Acted for a tenant farmer of agricultural land in First Tier Tribunal proceedings against a local authority landlord, which sought to re-take possession by serving a notice to quit, which was subject to the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986.
- Acted for the defendants in a partnership dispute arising from a partnership and trust deed entered into concerning the ownership of a farm.
Higgs & Sons' standing in the market is underpinned by its outstanding track record representing clients in a wide variety of complex claims. Led by 'formidable litigator' Julia Lowe, the team advises on matters involving breaches of restrictive covenants, warranty claims, shareholder disputes, and breaches of statutory and fiduciary duties. Lowe has 25 years of experience representing clients in proceedings before the Court of Appeal, the High Court, county courts and IPEC. She is also experienced in arbitration and mediation. The 'highly respected' Matt Dudley is another key partner - he is praised for his 'expert and consultative approach.'
‘Matt Dudley has been a star – helping us recover losses after a contract went south.’
Matt Dudley is a highly respected partner – his robust and highly supportive approach has been exactly what was required. Once Matt has agreed a course of action with us, through his expert and consultative approach, outcomes are highly effective.’
‘Julia Lowe is our main contact at Higgs. Julia provides an excellent service to her clients. Julia is very knowledgeable about our group of businesses and the markets within which we operate. We consider Julia to be a formidable litigator and a solicitor that protects our interests at all times. A thoroughly great service year after year from Julia Lowe and her team.‘
‘Professional, approachable, technically very good, pragmatic, responsive and value for money.‘
- Acting for the respondent in action by liquidator concerning allegations of directors misfeasance, transactions at an undervalue and preferences in respect.
- Acting for litigation funders in pursuing two former directors of a company in liquidation for directors misfeasance.
Wright Hassall LLP
Wright Hassall LLP excels in a wide variety of general commercial disputes, including shareholder and partnership matters, professional negligence claims and cases involving breaches of directors' duties. It is also a strong performer in technology-related disputes, financial services litigation and contentious matters involving the manufacturing sector. Sarah Perry is another notable individual in the team, which is led by Gemma Carson.
Other key lawyers:
‘Any lawyer we come into contact with at Wright Hassall always gives us the service and solutions that work best for us.’
‘Pragmatic, coherent and commercial advice – and fast‘
‘Iain Colville – very accesssible and quick to respond. Flexed means of providing advice and the tone to suit our business needs‘
‘Under the very skilful guidance of Sarah Perry, managing partner, Wright Hassall offers the level of expertise that you would expect from a City firm, together with the kind of personal commitment to the client more commonly found in smaller firms‘
‘Sarah Perry is a very good lawyer and a great litigator. She has excellent judgment, knowing when to be tough and when flexible‘
South Staffordshire Water
Coventry Building Society
Jaguar Land Rover
TATA Technologies Europe Ltd
AL-KO Kober Ltd
Merchant Money Ltd
Epwin Group Plc
Board MIT Ltd/Board International SA
- Assisted Henry Spain Investment Services Limited with enforcement of post-employment restrictive covenants by obtaining an injunction and claiming damages of £250,000 against an ex-employee.
- Represented Inperio Finance Limited/Inperio Limited/Confiar Limited and directors in proceedings against previous tax advisers, accountants and financial advisers who had advised them on the implementation of a Contract For Difference/spread betting tax avoidance scheme known as Alchemy.
- Advised South Staffordshire Water Plc on a private prosecution pursuant to the Water Industry Act 1991, whereby the defendant had used an unauthorised standpipe to extract water whilst operating in South Staffordshire Water’s area.
Dudley-headquartered firm Hawkins Hatton Corporate Lawyers Limited opened a London office in 2019; this development has strengthened the firm's capacity to serve clients across a wider range of contentious matters. The dispute resolution practice is led by managing director Harminder Sandhu, who acted for Sovereign Risk Management in a £1.5m shareholder dispute. The team also has experience of advising clients on matters such as trade mark infringements, contractual disputes, breaches of restrictive covenants and professional negligence claims, among various others.
‘A fantastic team working all hours to help the client‘
‘Extremely professional with great advice, and one of the main things for me was being able to contact them at any time‘
Ellen Group Limited
Veenak International Limited
Sovereign Risk Management
WM Plant Hire Limited
Borger UK Ltd
R & R W Bartlett Ltd
Inshore Support Ltd
- Acting for the sole shareholder/director of All Safe Scaffolding Limited in a £2.5m unfair prejudice petition against his brother and equal shareholder.
- Acting for family partnership Gohil Developments Limited in a £5m dispute with an exiting partner.
- Defending an architect against a £2m claim arising from the renovation of a property in Devon.
One of Lanyon Bowdler's areas of strength is the agriculture sector; the firm is on the NFU panel for Shropshire, Herefordshire and Staffordshire. Its practice is also highly active in the manufacturing, construction and engineering industries. Practice head Andrew Pegg acts for a mix of West Midlands-based clients, and national and international companies. Pegg's team covers a wide range of contentious commercial matters, including shareholder and partnership disputes, professional negligence claims and breaches of contract.
Poplar Trees Ltd
JP Bull Transport Limited
- Assisted Twenty20One Ltd with negotiating the retention of IP rights following the termination of a distribution agreement.
MFG Solicitors LLP
MFG Solicitors LLP provides a full dispute resolution service, with its team's strong capabilities in litigation being matched by its notable experience of handling mediations. The group's varied workload includes warranty claims, shareholder and partnership disputes, breaches of contract and professional negligence actions. Samuel Pedley recently acted for All Trade (Printers) Limited in its application to distrain a winding up petition. Tom Esler leads the team, which also includes associate Rebecca Rogers.
‘Attention to detail and immediate response to questions. Value for money and attempts to keep costs sensible for ordinary small businesses. Ability to negotiate a satisfactory settlement‘
‘Sam Pedley’s amendments to my various drafts were timely, very helpful, and in my view, went a long way towards persuading the other side that they didn’t have a case and that we wouldn’t back down. Also, as previously mentioned, my fellow director and I were particularly appreciative of the way he kept our spirits up (presumably because he had seen these sorts of claims many times before). He was professional, reassuring and strong throughout‘
‘Their response has always been very quick and the information has been, by all accounts, precise‘
Ruskim Seafoods Limited
John Needham t/a John Need Associates
Butcher Woods Limited
All Trade (Printers) Limited
Tony Round – On-Power Electrical Services Limited
L G Harris Limited
Liquid Fleet Services Limited
- Acting for Ruskim Seafoods Limited as the claimant in a contractual dispute with a business involved within the manufacturing, supply and installation of a refrigeration unit.
- Acted for John Needham t/a John Needham Associates as the claimant in a contractual dispute involving allegations of breach of duty and negligence.
- Represented trustee in bankruptcy and liquidator in an action for preference, transaction at an undervalue and transaction to defraud creditors.
At Thursfields Solicitors, senior associate Stephen Rome handles a diverse variety of contentious matters for clients, such as those involving breaches of fiduciary duty, misrepresentation and fraud, among others. The firm acts for owner-managed businesses and high-net-worth individuals from throughout the West Midlands, as well as banks and listed companies. Rome works with Tim Lawrence, who has 30 years of dispute resolution experience, and is a first port of call for many clients in litigation, arbitration proceedings and mediations. Director Jon Clifford, who specialises in agricultural disputes, joined from Wright Hassall LLP in 2019.
Aphex Engineering & Fabrication Services Limited
Birmingham Hebrew Congregation and Charitable Institutions
Black Pear Software Limited
Birmingham Botanical Gardens
Bhopal Ford and Parmar Limited
Brix and Morta Limited
Consult Avila Limited
CPC et Associés
CJP Homes Limited
Durkan Cahill Limited
Freemans Event Partners Limited
International Riding Company Limited
Kuka Systems UK Limited
Love Your Postcode Limited
M.J.Grosvenor (Motors) Limited
Makro Labelling UK Limited
Marches Bottling and Packaging Limited
NDC 2000 Limited
Network Catering Limited
Permat Machines Limited
Probyn Miers Limited
Ridgewood Homes Limited
Secure Legal Services Limited
Serfis Constructions & Engineering Limited
Simplisim Group Limited
Smartbox Assistive Technology Limited
Stockwood Community Benefit Society Limited
The Coventry Charity
United Trust Bank
Ward Sheldrake Consultancy
Wilkinson Dynamics Balancing Limited
Worcester Car Sales Limited
At Ansons, senior associate Jacob Rickett joined from Wright Hassall LLP in 2019. Rickett handles regulatory matters connected with areas such as environmental law and health and safety, and is also experienced in professional misconduct investigations. The dispute resolution department is led by Martin de Ridder, who has been instrumental in its growth. Another name to note is senior associate Adam Pike, whose experience includes shareholder disputes, contractual disputes and matters involving breaches of fiduciary duties by directors.
Walter Tippers (building suppliers)
St Philips Care Limited
Walton Homes Limited
- Defending furniture wholesaler Seconique Furniture Limited in ongoing proceedings following termination of the lease on its long- term rented warehouse and retail premises.
- Advised Gainlive Ltd (as a long-term investor and benefactor) on the receivership of a local sports club.
Band Hatton Button LLP
Band Hatton Button LLP's practice head is Jonathan Wilby, who has a strong profile in commercial property and construction disputes. He generates work from commercial clients and individuals in sectors such as education, retail, leisure and healthcare. The team also includes Malcolm Thomas and John French, and its other work includes professional negligence claims, partnership disputes, contractual matters and probate disputes.
- Represented sole company shareholder/director in contested company ownership dispute; successful at trial.
- Advised a professional rugby club on the termination of an exclusive kit supply contract.
- Assisted a leisure sector business with successful negotiations to resolve a potential claim by one of its escape room business franchisees.
Enoch Evans LLP
Stephen Nixon is the head of Enoch Evans LLP's commercial litigation practice. His wide-ranging workload includes cases arising from breaches of commercial contracts, partnership and shareholder disputes, professional negligence actions and intellectual property matters.
‘There are some exceptionally bright lawyers there, and I always get the impression they have a certain pride being part of this particular firm‘
‘Andrew Pointon is a real powerhouse, extremely bright , very robust. He will thoroughly fight his clients’ corner and leave no stone unturned‘
‘Offer very clear and precise advice, respond well to requests for information and keep you appraised of developments in your case‘
‘Andrew Pointon was very measured in his approach to matters and always remained calm throughout. Gave honest and appropriate advice at all times‘
Led by Stephen Hadley, Freeths LLP's dispute management team in Stoke-on-Trent has been increasingly active in shareholder and corporate acquisition disputes. Elsewhere, other drivers of activity include mining subsidence and minerals disputes, as well as professional negligence claims. Hadley has more than 25 years of litigation experience.
‘Always fully to the point.’
‘Stephen Hadley was always responsive and down to the point. His technical knowledge went hand in hand with his commercial awareness and acumen for our business.’
‘Freeths has a unique approach to the way it engages with its staff – putting their skills, expertise and wellbeing at the heart of its approach and this spills out into how it deals with its clients. It is engaged, committed and completely focused on the best outcome for customers.’
‘Freeths has a tremendous sense of loyalty to the areas in which it operates; a national firm with deeply local roots.’
‘Stephen Hadley has provided excellent support and helped make difficult issues relating to inheritance and will disputation clear and easy to follow as well as providing, as the rest of the firm, excellent communication to clients.’
Bird & Sons / Yarrows Aggregate Ltd
Brand Energy & Infrastructure Services UK Limited
Travis Perkins Plc