Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the West Midlands in West Midlands
Stoke-on-Trent firm Beswicks Legal handles a range of work including shareholder and partnership disputes, as well as tax and sports-related litigation. Karen Elder co-heads the team and is notably strong in contractual disputes, as well as having a particular focus on the property sector. Elder works in tandem with fellow co-head Gareth Wilkinson , who has carved a niche in sports litigation.
Karen Elder; Gareth Wilkinson
‘The team at Beswicks are client-focused and approachable.’
‘Beswicks has the breadth of specialists to offer the best advice on many subjects, whilst retaining a close relationship with is clients.’
‘Karen Elder is hugely proactive – communicating with her is a pleasure.’
‘Karen Elder offered succinct advice that has been useful, provided in a time-sensitive manner and helped me to make good decisions which take into account a balanced view of any risks.’
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP has a strong commercial litigation offering, primarily in contractual disputes. Guy Birkett leads the team and is an expert in shareholder and partnership disputes, as well as construction litigation. Other key members include Gareth Ruddock, who has a focus on property disputes, and contractual disputes specialist Charlotte Clode .
Technology and engineering are two standout sector specialities for George Green LLP. Neil Williams is a key figure in the team, handling contractual disputes, corporate warranty claims as well as shareholder and partnership disputes. Morgan Rees is another name of note and handles shareholder disputes and professional negligence cases.
Neil Williams; Morgan Rees
thyssenkrupp Materials (UK) Limited
Sims Group UK Limited
Medequip Assistive Technology Limited
Imperial Worldwide Limited
TIA (GB) Limited
Olive Communications Solutions Limited
Inenco Group Limited
HOPPE (UK) Limited
- Defended Synergy Biologics’ former CEO against claims of fiduciary duty breaches valued at £50m.
- Acted for Medequip in a public procurement dispute concerning the intended award of a 5 year contract to a competitor.
- Advised TIA on its recovery of loans and uplifts from a manufacturing company, which was pursued through litigation.
Harrison Clark Rickerbys
Richard Morgan, Elizabeth Beatty and Hefin Archer-Williams jointly lead the team at Harrison Clark Rickerbys. Firmwide disputes chief Morgan heads up the firm's defence, security and forces offering, while Williams, who joined from Slater and Gordon in early 2018, is in charge of the Wye Valley operation. Beatty, who leads the Worcester team and also sits as a deputy district judge at the Birmingham Civil Justice Centre, also heads up the firm's 24/7 in-house lawyers services practice. Well-regarded senior associate Tom Williams handles disputes arising out of corporate transactions.
Richard Morgan; Elizabeth Beatty; Hefin Archer-Williams
‘Each lawyer I deal with provides unswerving support and pragmatic and commercial advice.’
‘Elizabeth Beatty invests time to understand the client’s personal and business issues, and provides frank and pragmatic advice.’
‘Richard Morgan is a real pleasure as he is dynamic and responsive.’
Gemco Limited Elonex Sports Plc
The Paragon Group of Companies
Amada United Kingdom Limited
Pertemps Group of Companies
Network Sales and Marketing Limited
Paragon Banking Group PLC
Rockline Industries Limited
- Acted for Precision Castparts Corporation, a US-based industrial manufacturing corporation, in a $76m warranty claim relating to the sale of an aerospace component manufacturing business based in the UK and Thailand.
- Successfully acted for Amada United Kingdom Limited in a dispute in which a customer alleged defects with a machine and refused to make payment.
- Advised Paragon Banking Group Plc, a financial services provider, in relation to a multimillion-pound claim brought by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme alongside 14,000 consumers to recover monies paid by FSCS to consumers as compensation for PPI mis-selling.
Julia Lowe is head of dispute resolution in Higgs & Sons' Brierley Hill practice. Her areas of expertise within this space include shareholder and partnership disputes, product liability matters and injunctive relief orders. She works alongside a team including Matt Dudley, whose wide-ranging disputes practice covers shareholder disputes, claims relating to business or share sales, as well as matters relating to the enforcement of restrictive covenants.
Other key lawyers:
Wright Hassall LLP
Wright Hassall LLP has particular strength in disputes in the technology, tax and financial services sectors. Managing partner Sarah Perry, who jointly leads the practice, is 'a force to be reckoned with' and an expert in shareholder disputes, commercial contract issues and fraud claims. Also heading the practice is Gemma Carson, who has a similar focus on commercial contract disputes and handles professional negligence claims. Associate Matthew Goodwin is notably skilled in financial services litigation.
Sarah Perry; Gemma Carson
‘A strong commercial team frequently instructed in very high value disputes in High Court commercial centres.’
‘A young, enthusiastic team which has great expertise across the board.’
‘City firm service, but from a regional firm – local, personable and cost-effective.’
‘An excellent law firm and one of the best regional firms I work with. They are commercially minded, give sensible advice and have a very good practical sense for how litigation should be handled.’
‘Wright Hassall has a small but highly effective media law team who punch above their weight in running significant pieces of media law litigation, including injunctions, committal applications and trials. They are experienced litigators who offer good value in this specialised field.’
‘Sarah Perry is genuinely a force to be reckoned with in the relentless pursuit of the best outcome for her clients.’
Coventry Building Society
Jaguar Land Rover
TATA Technologies Europe Ltd
AL-KO Kober Ltd
Merchant Money Ltd
Epwin Group Plc
Hawkins Hatton Corporate Lawyers Limited handles seven-figure commericial disputes, advising clients across a range of sectors including manufacturing, engineering, IT and insurance. Managing director and firm founder Harminder Sandhu leads the team, handling major meditation work alongside litigation for key clients. Recent cases handled by the firm include shareholder disputes, property-related matters and product liability issues, as well as wider claims relating to professional negligence.
‘The Hawkins Hatton team are always very professional while still being friendly and approachable.’
‘Harminder Sandhu is extremely professional and on point with all issues.’
‘An approachable and supportive team who always respond quickly, often in layman’s language and remove the mystique of the legal process.’
‘A unique law firm in that you are not only treated as client but a friend. The team is very approachable at any time and are more than happy to give you sensible advice that helps you make sensible decisions before you even engage their services. A fantastic team.’
‘Harminder Sandhu is very good with clients, efficient and gets to grips with matters quickly.’
‘Harminder Sandhu is meticulous and thorough and represents her client’s interests with diligence and determination.’
‘Harminder is a true professional in her role and has vast experience in corporate litigation and has always provided very good guidance while still listing to our own concerns and issues.’
Sovereign Risk Management Limited
Siren Furniture Limited
Meridian Metal Trading Limited
GF Simmons Architectural Services
Borger UK Limited
Bespoke Global Resourcing Limited
Oxford Blue Ltd
- Undertook an independent review for Sovereign Risk Management Limited following breach of its data protection policy by an employee.
- Acted for a client on a shareholder dispute with his brother, featuring serious allegations of unfair prejudice, fraud and misconduct being made on both sides.
- Acting on behalf of a second defendant in a claim being brought by a wealthy individual in relation to substantial building works on a significant property located on a cliff face in Torquay.
- Acting on a shareholder dispute between two equal shareholders in a company who are father and son. A deal was struck whereby the company will buy back the son’s shares. The deal is being implemented by the firm’s corporate department.
- Acting for Sovereign Risk Management Limited on a claim against a former director/shareholder for breach of restrictive covenants and warranties given in a settlement agreement.
Lanyon Bowdler is particularly prominent in shareholder and partnership disputes, as well as professional negligence. Andrew Pegg leads the practice and has a strong emphasis on the manufacturing, construction and engineering sectors.
Fletcher Homes Ltd
The Dodd Group (particularly Dodd Group (Midlands) Ltd and Dodd Group (South) Ltd
Christian Haines (director/shareholder in Assured Healthcare Solutions Ltd and Liberty Healthcare Solutions Ltd)
Allenby Douglas Ltd
Plastic Omnium Automotive Ltd
R S Coaching Ltd
Lower Ailey BioGas Ltd
D B Roberts & Partners Ltd
James & Nicholas Prince (directors/shareholders in M H Elcock & Son Ltd)
Nicholas Morgan (director/shareholder in Technical & Development Services Group Ltd and associated companies)
Central Taxis Ltd
Go Carz Country Fresh Pullets Ltd
- We assisted the client with his acquisition of a large care home in North Wales at the foot of Mt Snowdon operated through Plas Garnedd Llanberis Limited. This matter was complicated by the fact the client’s lender required the seller to retain a stake in the company post-completion. Various issues arose during the due diligence process and we had to work closely with our commercial property team to ensure that matters were handled appropriately. The matter also involved the negotiation of detailed completion accounts together with arrangements for deferred consideration (along with the retained equity stake).
MFG Solictors LLP
MFG Solictors LLP's work within the disputes space covers litigation involving commercial contracts, shareholder agreements, civil fraud, construction and issues relating to financial services. Tom Esler, who leads the team, has a particular focus on litigation involving breach of director's duties and shareholder and partnership agreements. Another key figure is Samuel Pedley, who is an expert in contractual disputes, intellectual property and insolvency.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised John Needham Associates on high-value multi-track claim and counterclaim concerning intricate allegations of breach of duty, negligence and breach of contract.
- Acting for a trustee in bankruptcy and a liquidator against a former director in commencing a preference, transaction at an undervalue and transaction to defraud creditors.
- Advised Adam Carpets Limited on a significant historic contractual claim/rebate for surface water drainage for trading estate.
- Advised Native Web Limited on an unfair prejudice dispute between shareholders.
- Acting for Ruskim Seafoods Limited on a high value contractual dispute.
Thursfields Solicitors has a general commercial litigation practice that serves the Worcestershire and surrounding areas of Birmingham. Director Tim Lawrence is a key figure in the team and focuses on commercial disputes, financial recoveries and franchising issues.
Tim Lawrence; Michelle O’Hara
‘Their client care, legal ability, team ethos and fair and reasonable fees ensure clients obtain a superb service and achieve great results.’
‘Very loyal client base and a broad range of commercial clients.’
‘Tim Lawrence has a strong following and works tirelessly to achieve his clients’ objectives. An excellent commercial litigator.’
United Trust Bank Limited
Freemans Event Partners
Worcester Carsales Limited
Bennetts Farms and Foods Limited
Frank Salt & Co Limited
Ridgewood Homes Limited
MPS Networks PLC
College of Osteopaths
Samuel Leeds Limited
Ansons focuses on contractual disputes, shareholder disagreements and professional negligence claims. Martin De Ridder leads the team and handles disputes in the aforementioned areas, primarily for owner-managed businesses in the Staffordshire area. Other key names include senior associate Jason Alcock, who is experienced in construction and property disputes, and associate Adam Pike, who acts on professional negligence claims and shareholder disputes.
Martin De Ridder
Band Hatton Button LLP
Coventry-based Band Hatton Button LLP is a popular choice for commercial litigation within the region and is particularly known for its advice on disputes relating to property and facilities management. 'Excellent commercial litigator' Jon Wilby leads the team and primarily focuses on property and tenancy disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Malcolm Thomas; John French
‘John French is pragmatic, commercial and meticulous and always fights in his client’s corner with commitment and determination’.
‘Excellent client care and commercially minded lawyers.’
‘Jon Wilby is very down to earth and easy to work with. He has the confidence of his clients and their loyalty. An excellent commercial litigator.’
‘John French is very friendly and commercially minded. He always goes the extra mile to achieve his clients’ objectives.’
Oasis Dental Care
- Advised manufacturer of and distributor of copper tube on a claim against a demolition contractor for delay in completing demolition and asbestos decontamination works.
- Advised ex-director of a nursing company on a dispute over a personal guarantee on a commercial lease.
- Advised an accountancy practice on a commercial loan dispute over whether the company or an ex-director of the same company owes £50,000.
Walsall-based Enoch Evans LLP's commercial disputes team is led by Stephen Nixon, who is experienced in disputes pertaining to commercial contracts, property and professional negligence. He also handles employment and intellectual property litigation, as well as shareholder and partnership disputes.
The Stoke office of Freeths LLP is primarily known for advising on disputes in the property and energy sectors. Stephen Hadley leads the team and has extensive experience in corporate and property litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Bird & Sons / Yarrows Aggregate Ltd
Pickerings Solicitors' skillset in this space focuses on disputes relating to debt collection, commercial contracts, professional negligence, as well as shareholder and partnership matters. Simon King leads the practice and focuses on the aforementioned areas, acting as both a litigator and mediator. Associate Katie Maxwell Stewart focuses on contractual and commercial disputes.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Glyn Williams Contracts, a provider of construction support services based in the Middle East, on proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court in Birmingham to recover unpaid fees in the region of £165,000 from a UK-based contractor specialising in the installation of utility services.
- Acted for a private client who had not been aware of proceedings before judgment in default had been obtained by the claimant.
- Instructed by a defendant who had received a default judgment in circumstances where he had no knowledge or notice of the claim.