Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in the West Midlands in West Midlands
George Green LLP advises businesses and entities of all sizes on matters such as management buyouts, acquisitions, disposals and shareholder agreements. Senior partner Paul Bennett is a central figure in the team and predominantly represents family businesses and owner managed business on cross-border transactions. Another key figure is Philip Round who covers the spectrum of corporate transactions for clients in the financial services sector. Private equity specialist Guy Green is also highly recommended. Kam Jahal joined the team from FBC Manby Bowdler LLP.
Paul Bennett; Philip Round
Ortus Secured Finance
Olive Communications Solutions Limited
Saltus Partners LLP
People Solutions Group Limited
St Philips Care Group
DMW Environmental Safety Limited
Blue Sky Cosmetics UK HQ Limited
- Advising Bakkavor Foods on the sale of its Anglia Crown division (supplier of hospital meals) to its management.
- Acted for the shareholders of Connects2 Limited on its sale to AAMP.
- Assisted the management of Radius Worldwide with its sale to Vistra USA Inc.
- Advised Saltus Partners LLP on its acqusition of Lorica Wealth Management.
- Worked for Scrivens Limited on its acqusition of opticians branches from the Co-op.
Harrison Clark Rickerbys
The practice at Harrison Clark Rickerbys handles MBOs, acqusitions, disposals and joint ventures, led by Arpinder Dhillon, who has a strong record in transactional work. Managing partner Rod Thomas is also very active on deals and has particular experience on cross-border transactions. Also highly recommended are Alison Scott, Charlotte Thornton-Smith, Rebecca Leask, Robert Capper, David Ashcroft , Clare Emery and senior associate Helen Higginbotham.
Other key lawyers:
Sixways Holdings Limited
Next International Ltd
DVV Media International Ltd
W.E Dowds Shipping Ltd
Stone Ventures Partners Ltd
Morgan Motor Company Ltd
Gemini Repairs Limited
Shareholders of Leach Group
- Advised Sixways Holdings on its sale of WRFC Trading Limited (Worcester Warriors Rugby Football Club).
- Advised UK-based software company AbacusNext International on a contract with an automotive company for the supply of document automation software.
- Advised DVV Media International Ltd on the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of SmartRail World Limited.
- Advised on the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of FarmcareTop Fruit Limited.
Higgs & Sons has a track record of experience of advising on acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures, restructuring, private equity and compliance. Nick Taylor, who leads the team, has expertise in M&A and joint ventures. Other key figures on the corporate side include Richard Griffiths and Adrian Cutler, while Paul Hunt focuses on commercial matters.
Wright Hassall LLP
Wright Hassall LLP has a broad corporate and commercial practice with notable strengths in the retail, healthcare and education sectors. Robert Lee heads up the corporate team, advising on corporate finance, management buyouts and M&A deals. He is supported by: Steven Halkett, who is an expert in M&A, turnarounds and restructurings; and Keith Ainsworth, who handles venture capital and M&A transactions. Senior associate Nathan Lapsley is experienced in both corporate transactions and disposals. On the commercial side, technology procurement specialist Lindsay Ellis is a key figure, as is commercial contracts expert Christine Jackson. Also highly skilled in handling commercial contracts are Pete Maguire and Jo Goodworth.
Other key lawyers:
‘Wright Hassall is small enough so that they are very personable and approachable yet large enough to have all the expertise needed.’
‘Bespoke working relationship with local relationship teams.‘
Hilco Capital Limited
Denby Holdings Limited
Cad Cam Automotive Limited
Cleansing Service Group Limited
Scholastic LimitedWasps Holdings Limited
Gestamp Automocion SA
Lloyds Bank plc
Abbey Tax & Consultancy Services Limited
- Undertook legal due diligence on the English subsidiaries of the Gestamp group in respect of a €400m bond issue.
- Advised on a series of key strategic acquisitions for for Scholastic Limited to increase the group’s EBITDA after a restructuring exercise.
- Advised shareholders of Cell:CM Limited on the sale to AP Wireless (UK) Limited, a subsidiary of a UK investment company.
- Acted for Cleansing Service Group Limited on its purchase of Remondis UK Limited, from Remondis Medison GmbH.
- Advised on acquisition of Fenix Global Limited and Fenix Signalling Limited.
Stoke-based Beswicks Legal is a popular choice for corporate and commercial work in the North Staffordshire and South Cheshire areas, and also acts for a number of clients further afield. Corporate transactions specialist Peter Ellis works at the helm of the team and is notably skilled in acquisitions, disposals and reorganisations.
‘Professionalism, attention to detail and great client care.’
‘The team are extremely thorough and work to a very tight timeframe from offer through to completion.’
- Acted for the shareholders of NAL Developments in its sale to CRH plc.
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP
FBC Manby Bowdler LLP runs the gamut of corporate and commercial work with offices situated across the West Midlands. Key figures from the firm include Telford-based David Preece , who is an expert in corporate transactions; Shropshire- based Stuart Rea, who works on general corporate and commercial services; and corporate transactions specialist James Sage, who is based in Wolverhampton.
David Preece; Stuart Rea; James Sage
Healthcare, technology and events are three core area of focus for Thursfields Solicitors' corporate and commercial team. Corporate director Gareth Burge leads the practice while also handling work including M&A, equity fundraisings and corporate reorganisations. Commercial director Tim Edwards handles M&A and corporate finance work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gareth Burge brings technical excellence and City experience to the team.’
‘A very commercially aware team well capable of converting legalese into everyday speak and then driven to delivering the solution in a most cost effective way.’
‘This firm consistently provides a more timely and approachable service.’
Allied Irish Bank
- Advised Airband Community Internet Limited on its investment by the National Digital Infrastructure Fund (NDIF) and the sale of a substantial minority interest to NDIF.
- Advised shareholders of Smartbox Assistive Technology Limited and Sensory Software International Limited on the sale of the companies to Swedish high-technology company Tobii.
Ansons' growing corporate and commercial team handles M&A, disposals, restructurings, commercial contracts, shareholder agreements and joint ventures, typically acting on deals valued between £1m and £20m. Hilary D’Cruz, who jointly leads the team, has particular specialities in sales and purchases in the pharmacy and manufacturing sector, as well as matters relating to biofuel supply agreements. Fellow corporate co-head Neil Jones also acts for dental clients and handles private equity work.
Hilary D’Cruz; Neil Jones
Hawkins Hatton Corporate Lawyers Limited is led by founding partner Colin Rodrigues who has extensive experience of all types of corporate transactions. He has particularly experience of advising clients in sectors such as manufacturing, engineering, pharmaceuticals, healthcare and technology.
‘Very approachable and personable. They make complicated processes far easier to understand by taking you through a step-by-step approach.’
‘Hawkins Hatton focuses on providing commercial advice in a timely manner at a sensible price. They focus on corporate matters and don’t try to be all things to all people – they stick to what they know they can deliver.’
NFM Group S.A
Alan and Joanne Read
HSBC Bank PLCC
PLAS Mouldings Limited
Coast 2 Coast Limited
Rinik Pharm Ltd
- Acted on behalf of NFM Group on its acquisition of the Cannock-based Brock Metal Company.
- We acted for Ames and Kestrel in their £3m sale to Rollins UK Holdings Limited, a UK subsidiary of a US group.
- Acted on a £2m MBO for Wiseman Threading Tools Limited.
- Advised Coast 2 Coast Limited on its acquisition of Ayr St Ives Limited, which owns the Garrack Hotel in St Ives.
- Acted for Cooga on the takeover of Central Extrusions Limited.
Lodders Solicitors LLP
Stratford-based Lodders Solicitors LLP handles corporate matters for a range of clients which include SMEs, owner managed businesses, family businesses, startups and charities. Kim Klahn leads the team and is experienced in M&A, disposals, management buyouts and reorganisations. Also recommended is Victor Matts, whose practice includes a focus on shareholder agreements and company formations.
Other key lawyers:
- Acted for ehB Residential on the share purchase of Reeves & Partners Ltd.
- Advised the sellers on the share purchase of aerospace company Tenencia to an American company, with the contingency that Paul Johnson maintained the position of CEO.
MFG Solicitors LLP has a track record of advising on M&A and private equity deals, restructurings and joint ventures. The practice, which is led by Stephen Wyer, was boosted in 2018 by the arrival of Clare Lang from George Green LLP. Other important figures in the team include James Hayes, who has significant experience of international transactional matters.
- Advised Optimec Limited, a Midlands based global leader in contact and intraocular lens metrology, on the expansion of its business into Canada, North America, Europe, and the Far East.
- Acted for Worcester YMCA in connection with its purchase of Little Treasures Nursery from its owners.
Tamworth-based Pickerings Solicitors' commercial practice predominantly serves SMEs in the Staffordshire area. Craig Davies leads the team and is an expert in commercial contracts and shareholder agreements. Another notable name is Keri Pointon, who handles acquisitions and disposals.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP's Stratford-upon-Avon practice primarily focuses on mid-market M&A, joint ventures, MBOs and restructurings. The team is led by Andrew Smith, who focuses on corporate and finance transactions for startups, SMEs and public companies.
‘Personable yet highly professional standard of legal support.’
‘Availability, in-depth knowledge and empathetic manner.’
Three Ways House Hotel
Document Insights The Extracare Charitable Trust
Walsall Housing Group
- Acted for Whitworth Bros on the purchase of two of Hovis’ flour mills in Selby and Manchester.
- Advised shareholders of Watbio Holdings on the company’s sale to listed counterpart Filta Group.
- Acting for Galliford Try on its acquisition of special-purchase vehicle Bouygues Development-Thomas Vale Limited, the owner of two Wolverhampton housing development sites, from Bouygues (UK) Limited.
- Advised Westerly Media, which provides training support on Microsoft Office 365, on its sale to CoreView.
Aaron & Partners LLP is a popular choice for businesses looking for corporate and commercial advice across Shropshire, Mid-Wales and Staffordshire. Stuart Scott-Goldstone, who heads up the team, has experience in M&A, disposals, MBOs and commercial contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Hugh Strickland; Stuart Haynes
‘A specialist legal team that can translate into understandable terms for clients. Helpful and suggestive.’
‘Hugh Strickland and Zoe Lloyd have shown a deep appreciation of commercial issues which we have found extremely helpful and reassuring. Deep understanding of legal matters is expected, but this commercial awareness is a welcome bonus.’
Blue Prism Software Limited
Tudor Griffiths Limited
MTD Acquisitions Limited
A P Wireless Limited
YEE Group Limited
TSB Returns Limited
Thomas Thomas & Co Limited
Ellis Whittam Limited
Heaven Health and Beauty Limited
- Advised Heaven Health and Beauty Limited on new distributorship in China.
- Advised MTD Acquisitions Limited on negotiation and completion of equipment supply to Real Madrid.
- Advised East Midlands business YEE Group Limited on acquisition of Shropshire business Cool Services Limited.
- Acted for SHA Holdings Limited on its acquisition of a company dental practice with practices in Stoke on Trent and Crewe.
Band Hatton Button LLP
Band Hatton Button LLP covers the spectrum of corporate and commercial work and is particularly strong in sectors such as construction, agriculture, technology, insurance, retail and gaming. Practice head Sean Byrne advises on matters relating to financing, commercial contracts and joint ventures.
‘The team at Band Hatton Button provide a quality of service at the equivalent level to that we deliver to our clients. They are always very prompt in responding and don’t use unnecessary legal terms – they are welcoming and approachable.’
‘Sean Byrne provides well reasoned and practical advice – he uses his wide knowledge and experience to provide pragmatic solutions to legal agreements and negotiations.’
Brindley Twist Tafft & James
Brindley Twist Tafft & James's work in the corporate and commercial sphere covers acquisitions, disposals, restructurings, shareholder agreements and commercial contracts. Samantha Wright leads the practice and has extensive experience of advising on commercial contracts and shareholder agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Walsall-based Enoch Evans LLP handles corporate transactions, management buyouts, corporate finance and disposals. Corporate and commercial head Sukie Shermar has expertise in the aforementioned areas, with a notably strong emphasis on clients in the healthcare sector.
Hatchers Solicitors LLP
Shrewsbury-based Hatchers Solicitors LLP's practice is led by Ann Fisher , who also serves as company secretary of the Shropshire Chamber of Commerce. She primarily advises SMEs on transactions, shareholder agreements and joint ventures, and her most active sectors include manufacturing, agriculture and charity.
‘Good attention to detail, thorough understanding of the work required, always someone available to speak to.’
Telford-based Lanyon Bowdler offers 'strength in knowledge and experience' for clients in the West Midlands and further afield. 'Consummate professional' Grainne Walters heads the team and has primarily handles high value corporate transactions. Also recommended is partner Edward Burrell, who is skilled in drafting corporate transactions documents.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gráinne Walters has an excellent knowledge and understanding, with the ability to address every skill level without ‘dumbing down’ the content.’
‘Gráinne Walters is a consummate professional who doesn’t give us a hard sell, makes efficient use of time and resources and is a pleasure to deal with.’
- Assisted client with acquisition of a large care home in North Wales at the foot of Mount Snowdon.
Thomas Horton LLP
Thomas Horton LLP, which has three offices in Bromsgrove, Redditch and Worcester, serves clients based in the UK and further afield in Europe. The team is led by Jeff Taylor and has expertise in commercial contracts, acquisitions, disposals and insolvencies.
‘Good cohesion, excellent teamwork and punctual with predictable outcomes.’