The 'responsive, authoritative and professional' team at Berry Smith provides 'effective and timely' advice to public and private sector clients across a diverse range of property disputes, including as it relates to adverse possession, rights of way, dilapidations and nuisance. Team head Simon Care is 'knowledgeable and diligent in his thought process', enabling him to provide 'cost-effective solutions for even the most complex matters', including professional negligence-related property disputes, as well as core property litigation involving rights of way. Appreciated for his 'professionalism and approachable nature', former team head Iwan Doull continues to be very active in the space, including for local authorities and central government on disputes arising out of CPOs.
Property litigation in Wales
Other key lawyers:
Iwan Doull; Jane Rees; Harry Moyle
‘The team is very professional and efficient.’
‘The practice does the simple things very well. I have found them responsive, authoritative, and professional.’
‘The team always manages to get to the heart of the issues quickly, providing cost-effective solutions for even the most complex matters.’
‘Simon Care deserves particular mention. Ever-courteous and prompt in responses, I have found his advice authoritative, altogether reassuring and I trust in him completely.’
‘Simon Care is not only knowledgeable but diligent in his thought process, leaving no stone unturned. When facing difficult situations, Simon is always robust in his approach giving you confidence you’re in safe hands.’
‘Working along side Iwan Doull was an utter pleasure and easy process. His professionalism and approachable nature made the case that much easier. He was available to answer all of our queries, even the most minor.’
‘Jane Rees is patient, helpful and efficient.’
Denbighshire County Council
VONE Developments LLP
Johnsey Estates (UK) Limited
Storage Giant Limited
- Defending the Welsh Government against two separate claims brought by the landlord and tenant of adjoining land which they claim was flooded because of major development works undertaken on the land owned by the Welsh Government.
- Representing Misha Manson-Smith, a BAFTA-nominated film and television director, in a High Court action brought against the freeholder of the building he lives in, alleging breach of quiet enjoyment, nuisance, and harassment.
- Defending Denbighshire County Council against a £1.2m claim for compensation arising out of the compulsory purchase of a substantial, but long-derelict property in North Wales.
Led by the 'excellent' Sian Jones, Blake Morgan LLP's team provides a 'highly efficient, engaging and knowledgeable' service to landowners, tenants, developers and property companies across a wide range of disputes, including on the enforcement of covenants, lease renewal proceedings, dilapidation claims and adverse possession matters. Public sector instructions, however, remain a core driver of the practice, including work for the Welsh Government in the defence of CPO claims, from local authorities on lease renewal disputes, and from housing associations across a range of matters, including disrepair claims and anti-social behaviour breaches.
Other key lawyers:
Adam Carbis; Tanya Barrett
‘The team is highly efficient, engaging and knowledgeable.’
‘Sian Jones and Adam Carbis are both excellent at their jobs. Their ease with clients and clear explanation of facts is invaluable.’
Canary Wharf Group
Milford Haven Port Authority
Wales & West Utilities Limited
Swansea County Council
Royal National Institute for the Blind
- Advising Canary Wharf Group, on its retail portfolio management including challenges to CVAs, rent recovery; implications of regulations introduced as a result of the pandemic.
- Advising a landlord council in opposing the grant of a new lease of a significant local business and subsequent forfeiture of the lease to enable the council to deal with the health and safety issues and keep the site operational.
- Acted for a housing association landlord in successfully contesting a Section 20 challenge to the recovery of roof replacement costs through the service charge for two blocks of flats.
Forming a key part of the firm's overarching national offering, as well as being a compelling proposition in its own right, Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's six-strong Cardiff-based team excels in handling a range of strategic risk management and contentious matters, for corporates, developers and public sector entities, which often own extensive property portfolios. Team head Kathryn Cook has an excellent track record across a range of property disputes, including as it relates to tenant default and dilapidations issues, work which she very effectively handles for major retail clients, financial services/pension providers and transport and infrastructure clients.
Legal and General
Annington Property Limited
Thames Water Utilities Limited
RWE Generation UK
Associated British Ports
Transport for London
HMV Retail Limited
Namulas Pension Trustees Limited
Wales and West Utilities Limited
- Continuing to represent Industrial Property Investment Fund Limited across a range of property disputes, including tenant default and dilapidations issues, associated with the fund’s extensive portfolio of industrial units.
- Acting as sole legal adviser to Thames Water Utilities Limited across its diverse portfolio, dealing with all contentious property and property management issues and property litigation.
- Acting for HMV (through its new owners) across its portfolio of retail properties dealing with all contentious property and property management issues including strategic advice in terms of its portfolio in the Covid pandemic.
Adopting 'sensible approaches to resolution' but unafraid to be 'firm and forthright where necessary', Geldards LLP's team provides 'commercial advice' to a varied mix of public and private sector clients, including numerous major retail clients with sizeable property portfolios. Team head Ed Meggitt is 'very pleasant to deal with' and has developed niche expertise advising water utility companies on the protection of assets/infrastructure either through common law remedies or under the Water Industry Act 1991. Nicola Lawrence is the other partner in the group and provides a 'very reassuring experience' to clients on commercial and residential landlord and tenant matters, as well as rights of way and nuisance claims.
Other key lawyers:
Nicola Lawrence; Llinos Davies; Laura Alliss
‘The team has dealt efficiently and diligently with any legal work I have required.’
‘It is an excellent property litigation team, both in terms of its understanding of the issues and in the commerciality of its approach.’
‘Continuity of service provided throughout a long and drawn out case. Excellent use of experts to provide technical input which the team took time to understand. Aware of risk and rather than be completely risk adverse they provided commercial advice in lieu of all factors affecting the case.’
‘Ed Meggitt provides an efficient management of difficult cases and is pleasant to work with.’
‘Pragmatic and adoption of sensible approaches to resolution but firm and forthright where necessary. Ed Meggitt and Nicola Lawrence have stood out as key adopters of this mantra.’
‘Laura Alliss is a very competent and resourceful layer with a great scope of knowledge in all matters relating to her field of expertise.’
Boots UK Limited / Boots Opticians
Western Power Distribution PLC
National Procurement Service
EUI / Admiral Group plc
Dwr Cymru / Welsh Water
Edinburgh Woollen Mill Group / Peacocks Stores Limited
S.A. Brain & Co Ltd
Knightsbridge Property Development Corporation (UK) Limited
Woden Park Limited
- Continuing to advise Boots UK on a variety of matters (including dilapidations disputes) arising from their extensive property portfolio.
- Representing Woden Park Limited on a high-profiile case which has very significant ramifications for the interpretation of rent review clauses.
- Instructed in relation to a number of both opposed and unopposed lease renewal matters and dilapidations matters in relation to premises occupied by Peacocks/Edinburgh Woollen Mill.
The 'very hardworking and knowledgeable' team at Hugh James represents private and public sector entities across a myriad pure disputes work (including as it relates to rights of way, landlord and tenant and planning law), in addition to strategic land management matters. A significant volume of litigation is generated from the firm's developer side relationships, both for private sector housebuilders, as well as for social housing clients, an area that 'friendly and approachable' team head Robert Phillips excels. In addition to his conventional property litigation workload, Phillips has also developed niche expertise defending landowners, including Natural Resources Wales, in the growing area of contested mineral rights ownership. Jo Brown is the other partner in the team, and has particular experience advising telecoms and hospitality clients on property disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very hardworking and knowledgeable.’
‘Robert Phillips is friendly and approachable and provides excellent case management.’
Natural Resources Wales
AP Wireless II (UK) Limited
Pobl/Coastal Housing Association
Isle of Anglesey Council
Talbot Green Developments Ltd
Brackley Investments Ltd
- Advising the Welsh Government on litigation involving the scope and extent of yielding up obligations in commercial leases which has developed the law in this important area.
- Defending Natural Resources Wales against a claim to the ownership of mineral rights over large areas of forestry land in mid-Wales.
- Representing Witham Town Council in judicial review proceedings challenging a decision made by Braintree District Council to grant planning permission on a site known as Gimsons which is protected as ‘Visually Important’.
Under the leadership of commercial litigator Hugh Hitchcock , Acuity Law has vastly increased its commercial litigation credentials in recent years, work which had already thrown up a not inconsiderable volume of construction and real estate litigation. However, it was the 'outstanding' Neil Morgan's arrival in May 2019 from Darwin Gray LLP that was the real game-changer for the firm and has led to to a step change in quality and quantity of pure property litigation instructions. Most of Morgan's work continues to flow from the social housing sector, where he is appreciated for his willingness to provide 'practical advice on how to navigate difficult situations'. The team's ability to provide specialised property litigation advice was also recently enhanced by the arrival of senior associate Jennifer Butcher from Hugh James in May 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Neil Morgan; Jennifer Butcher
‘Acuity is a progressive firm with a laser focus on clients and a diverse, capable and engaging team culture. Refreshingly for a professional services firm, it has a friendly and approachable atmosphere whilst never compromising on quality.’
‘Acuity’s lawyers are friendly, approachable and expert; a rare combination. They are expert without being arrogant and are responsive to their clients needs. This doesn’t mean they shy away from providing robust counsel, even if that means they have to challenge a client’s view.’
‘Neil Morgan is outstanding. He is always available, wholly imperturbable and always willing to offer practical advice on how to navigate difficult situations.’
Elim Foursquare Gospel Alliance
Coastal Housing Group
Wales & West Housing
Redwave Films(UK) Limited
Merthyr Tydfil Housing Association Limited
Lemon Pepper Holdings Limited
RIghtacres Property Company Limited
- Representing Coastal Housing on all of its real estate disputes involving land and residential and commercial premises.
- Acting on behalf of the trustees of the charity, Elim Foursquare Gospel Alliance, in relation to a dispute concerning the performance of an option agreement to purchase the client’s freehold property.
- Representing Melin Homes on the defence of their disrepair claims.
Under the leadership of the 'impressive' Stephen Meade, Capital Law Limited has developed a reputation for being 'heavy-hitters' across a range of litigation, including a considerable and growing volume of work within the property sphere. A good deal of this work flows out of the healthcare sector, and the firm's role as one of the outsourced legal advisors to BMA Law has seen it involved in numerous property landlord and tenant disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Capital Law are heavy hitters when it comes to litigation. The instructions they get are impressive and high profile. They are exceptionally organised and communicative.’
‘Stephen Meade’s legal experience and knowledge is consistently impressive. He is always on top of the detail while keeping in mind the practical and tactical considerations, which will ultimately get the outcome the client wants.’
‘Clare Good is an exceptionally talented lawyer with experience and knowledge well beyond her junior years.’
British Medical Association
Valleys to Coast Housing Ltd
Associated British Ports
Welsh Language Commissioner
Bron Afon Community Housing
The Gambling Commission
Dusty’s Pizza Company Limited
Howard Tenens Group
Newydd Housing Association
- Represented Chainbridge Medical Partnership its referral to the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care regarding NHS England’s proposed abatement of its notional rent reimbursement.
- Representing the BMA and five test claimant GP practices in their High Court claim against NHS Property Services Ltd challenging the basis of these demanded service charges.
- Advising Newydd Housing Association on all disrepair claims they receive from tenants across their portfolio.
Led by Philip Bradley , Dolmans' team is well-versed in pursuing and defending a range of property litigation, including cases involving trespass, boundary disputes and covenant breaches. Leveraging its deeply rooted public sector ties, the firm's sweet-spot, however, continues to lie in its representation of local authorities, including in the defence of public nuisance claims arising from issues such as flooding, light pollution and Japanese knotweed infestation.
Other key lawyers:
Simon Evans; Peter Bennett; David Boobier; Claire Thomas
Bridgend County Borough council
Merthyr Tydfil CBC
Rhondda Cynon Taf CBC
Powys County Council
Somerset County Council
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council
Atlantic Recycling Ltd
The 'approachable, thorough, knowledgeable and experienced' specialist property litigation team at Douglas-Jones Mercer is well-versed across the spectrum of contentious property matters, including as it relates to boundary disputes, dilapidations, break notices and rights of way claims. Recognised as an 'excellent property litigation solicitor', team head Russell Price provides 'sound, sensible and practical advice', primarily to public/third sector clients (including health boards, local authorities and housing associations), which appreciate his willingness 'to offer his view on matters which are often subjective in nature'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Approachable, thorough, knowledgeable and experienced. Confident in their ability to manage the disrepair claims upon which we instruct them to act on our behalf.’
‘The team provides an excellent service and good sound legal advice.’
‘Russell Price is an excellent property litigation solicitor who provides sound, sensible and practical advice and is not afraid to offer his view on matters which are often subjective in nature.’
Public Health Wales NHS Trust
Pembrokeshire County Council
Coastal Housing Group
Four Counties (Holdings) Ltd
Longford Investments (No.1) Ltd
Players Industrial Estate LLP
Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust
Pobl Group (including Gwalia Housing Association)
Sanlam Life & Pensions UK Limited
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
Cardiff & Vale University Local Health Board
Carmarthenshire County Borough Council
Swansea Bay University Local Health Board
Personal Pension Trustees Limited (Division of JLT Group PLC)
Powys Teaching Health Board
Velindre NHS Trust
JLT Group PLC
Toast Mail Order Limited
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board
Jehu Project Services Limited
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Capital Valley Plastics Ltd
Picture House Management Company Limited
- Advised NHS Wales Estates (on behalf of various NHS Trusts/Welsh Boards) on various strategic matters related to hospitals, field hospitals and vaccination centres throughout Wales – related to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advised Pobl Group on a dispute with Vodafone regarding vacation of a £2m+ development site.
- Advised Picture House Management Limited in relation to a multimillion-pound claim concerning the defective conversion of a former cinema to an apartment block in Streatham, London.
The 'effective, efficient and commercial' Sarah Davies leads a team at JCP Solicitors that has 'depth and experience at all levels of property disputes', enabling it to provide tailored and cost-effective advice to a range of primarily private sector clients (including developers, landlords and tenants) on local work, as well as on matters extending beyond the region. Davies provides a 'dogged determination to fight her client's cause' across a range of both commercial and residential property disputes, while her part time role as a Deputy District Judge enables her to impart 'practical insights to clients as to how cases are likely to approached in court'. 'Exceptional' associate Jonathan Flynn is also a key member of the team and is particularly noted for his growing expertise at handling residential property disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Flynn; Benjamin Davies
‘A strong team across the board with depth and experience at all levels of property disputes.’
‘The firm has an excellent varied team that covers all areas of the law. Their legal knowledge is of the highest standard, yet they maintain a very friendly and approachable style.’
‘Sarah Davies – careful and diligent in preparation, with a dogged determination to fight her clients’ cause. Commercially astute with a pragmatic lean.’
‘Sarah Davies is one of the most remarkable solicitors I have come across; she is effective, efficient, commercial, has an instant understanding of her clients. Nothing fazes her, she keeps her client on track, her insight and knowledge is second-to-none, she has a remarkable memory and goes the extra mile to achieve the desired outcome. ’
‘Sarah Davies is thoroughly knowledgeable and well known locally for her expertise in this field. Sarah’s experience sitting as a deputy district judge allows her to provide practical insights to clients as to how cases are likely to approached in court.
‘Jonathan Flynn is enthusiastic and meticulous, with a keen eye on compliance and thorough on procedure.’
‘Jonathan Flynn is an exceptional associate. His in-depth knowledge of the practice area for his level of seniority is impressive and he provides an excellent value service.’
The 'excellent and dynamic' team at Morgan LaRoche provides 'efficient and proactive advice' to local businesses, private individuals and public/quasi public sector entities across a range of property disputes. Praised for his 'business-minded approach', team head Jason Williams has 'significant experience in property litigation', and has been involved in numerous reported landlord and tenant cases (including a high-profile Supreme Court case regarding the interpretation of service charge clauses). 'Highly knowledgeable and easy to work with', Ashley Davies is also a key member of the team and since his arrival from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP in January 2020 has hit the ground running, handling work for a varied array of existing and new clients, including businesses, property investors and private individuals.
Other key lawyers:
‘An excellent and dynamic team with diverse experience in property litigation.’
‘The team is efficient and proactive. Their understanding and application of procedural rules is excellent, always ensuring their client’s position is protected and advanced in the strongest terms.’
‘Jason Williams leads the team with significant experience in property dispute litigation and acts with a business-minded and helpful approach.’
‘Jason Williams has a careful, analytic approach. The impression I have is that he is able to focus his client on the real issues, and obtain the clearest instructions.’
‘Ashley Davies has significant experience in property litigation and acts for a diverse range of clients. He is highly knowledgeable and very easy to work with.’
AMP Energy Services Limited
Ameco Properties Limited
Enzo’s Homes Limited
Hallmark Care Homes
Culina Ambient Limited
Ynys Ystrad Cyf
Innkeeper UK Limited
Welsh and English Property Partnership
- Succesfully obtained and enforced an urgent injunction on behalf of a UK energy company in relation to trespass by a neighbouring landowner intended to delay client’s property development in the hope of extracting a ransom.
- Defending a residential estate owner in a claim brought by 13 property owners for refunds of rent-charges levied over a number of years.
- Advising a company operating in the restaurant and public house market in a prescriptive right to drain effluent into a watercourse against a local authority.
Led by 'diligent and helpful' Rhys Evans , Newport-based firm RDP Law handles a range of property litigation, including landlord and tenant disputes, boundary disputes and adverse possession claims. A significant amount of property-related disputes are on behalf of the firm's loyal roster of farming/rural clients, including the Farmers Union of Wales.
‘Rhys Evans is diligent and helpful.’
Farmers Union of Wales
- Appointed as a legal partner to the Farmers Union of Wales, its agents across Wales as well as the Union’s membership as a provider of legal services covering all aspects of commercial, agricultural and property litigation services.