Able to draw upon a range of specialisms, including advice on Section 106 agreements, compulsory purchase orders (CPOs) and environmental impact assessments, Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP is well-positioned to assist clients on standalone matters, as well as in conjunction with the firm's broader real estate function. 'Very knowledgeable' team head Kee Evans 'demonstrates excellent commercial awareness', particularly in the context of planning issues pertinent to transport, renewables and education-related projects. Senior associate Stephen Jefferson 'provides excellent advice which is pragmatic and robust'; he handles the day to day planning work for core client Thames Water Utilities.
Planning and environment in Wales
Other key lawyers:
‘The advice I receive is always very well tailored to my needs and audience, and they are always quick to draft and respond to urgent issues.’
‘A diverse team with a range of specialisms, who pride themselves on their resourcefulness.’
‘Kee Evans is very knowledgeable and demonstrates excellent commercial awareness.’
‘Stephen Jefferson – very responsive, provides excellent advice which is pragmatic and robust, always willing to discuss and debate complex matters and gives definitive yet balanced views which ultimately allow important decisions to made.’
National Highways Limited (formerly Highways England Company Limited)
University of Reading
Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
Welsh Government NINRG Solar (Little Crow) Limited
Thames Water Utilities Limited
Network Rail Infrastructure Limited
EDF Renewable Energy Limited
Transport for Wales
Annington Property Limited
Drawing upon a 'good understanding of the law in Wales and a very detailed knowledge of the working of Welsh Government and the administrative sector', Geldards LLP's three-strong standalone team is best-known for its work on behalf of central and local government across a range of contentious and non-contentious planning matters. 'A highly experienced adviser on planning matters in Wales', team head Charles Felgate with local planning authorities regularly turning to him in their toughest cases. Senior associate Tomos Phillips is also a key member of the team and has recently worked alongside Felgate helping several local councils secure CPOs to facilitate regeneration and transport/infrastructure projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘It is a highly versatile practice with an especially strong reputation in Wales.’
‘The team has a good understanding of the law in Wales and a very detailed knowledge of the working of Welsh Government and the administrative sector in Wales.’
‘They combine a keen commerciality with a deep commitment to public sector work.’
‘Charles Felgate is a great team leader who provides first-class advice.’
‘Charles Felgate is a highly experienced adviser on planning matters in Wales – local planning authorities turn to him regularly when they hit a brick wall in their toughest cases. He is a keen tactician and active litigator.’
Brecon Beacons National Park Authority
Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority
Snowdonia National Park Authority
Cheshire East Borough Council
Calderdale Borough Council
Derbyshire County Council
South Derbyshire District Council
Caerphilly County Borough Council
Worcestershire County Council
Leeds City Council
- Advising the Welsh Ministers in relation to the application for a declaration that the development authorised by a Development Consent Order for the Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon – a £1.3bn infrastructure proposal of national significance – had “begun” and that the Order was capable of being extended.
- Defending Snowdonia National Park Authority against an application for a declaration by a developer to the effect that they could continue to implement a planning permission from 1967.
- Advising South Derbyshire District Council in relation to the section 106 agreement and subsequent judicial review of a reserved matters approval at Drakelow Park, a circa 2000 home strategic development site.
Drawing upon the expertise of commercial property and property litigators, in particular, Hugh James adopts a multidisciplinary approach to planning and environmental work and is well-placed to provide a holistic service to house builders and development consortia; social housing and public sector developers; and renewable energy developers. Senior associate Shelley Ikram is the main contact for planning matters, including for developer cients on village green matters.
Ely Bridge Development Company Limited
Parc Eirin Development Limited
Persimmon Homes Limited
Bellway Homes PLC
Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
Curo Enterprise Limited
BDW Trading Limited (Barratt Homes)
Natural Resources Wales
Newydd Housing Association Limited
Pennant Walters (Holdings) Limited and Enersyst Limited
Coastal Housing Group
Ely Mill Development Company Limited
Ffos Las Limited
- Advising Persimmon Homes regarding a Judicial Review of the decision of the Welsh Ministers (October 2020) to dismiss its appeal in connection with planning permission for 300 dwellings at Heol Y Cefn, Caerphilly, an area with a chronic shortage of new affordable housing.
- Advising Cardiff and Vale NHS Trust in relation to land earmarked for the construction of a cancer centre (Velindre) which has attracted much local opposition although planning has been approved.
- Advising on a key strategic collaboration between two major RSLs (Pobl Group and Coastal Housing) on their large-scale innovative project in Gwynfaen to bring a sustainable zero carbon development to fruition, providing the blueprint for partnership working in the social housing sector and energy efficient development.
Much of JCP Solicitors' planning and environment work is on behalf of its impressive roster of farming clients. Appreciated for his ability to provide 'practical solutions', rural head Rory Hutchings has particular expertise in the field, including work for NFU Cymru on various matters. Hutchings is also well-versed in advising on the planning implications associated with proposed renewable energy projects, much of which relates to common land.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have strong legal knowledge tied with a personable manner providing bespoke solutions in a complex area.’
‘Rory Hutchings provides excellent assistance in this area, tailoring their advice to ensure practical solutions for the client are always key to their thinking, whilst working through the complexity of planning and environment law.’