Tax in Vietnam
At DFDL Legal & Tax, the practice handles an assortment of tax-related work on corporate transactions, disputes, and broader compliance issues. Key names in Ho Chi Minh City include senior tax practitioner Lan Hua , who advises domestic and international clients on tax matters, and Phan Thi Lieu, who splits her time between the commercial capital and Hanoi, is the primary contact for cross-border tax issues. Jack Sheehan supervises the team from Laos.
B. Grimm Power Public Company Limited
- Assisted B. Grimm Power Public Company Limited in Vietnam in claiming successfully a significant amount of tax refunded from the local tax authority
- Advised Airbus on international tax structuring, tax benefits and tax risks for a well-known global aviation company in relation to its contemplated investment into Vietnam
- Advised Chemonics on tax implications and tax exemption entitlements of a service provider under the Economic and Technical Cooperation Agreement between the Governments of Vietnam and the US.
Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers has strength in contentious tax-related matters and is led by dispute resolution lawyer Chau Huy Quang. The practice handles a significant amount of tax-related litigation mandates and non-contentious tax matters for local and foreign firms. Logan Leung supports on cross-border tax investigations and is active in the corporate space. Tran Xuan Chi Anh left the team.
The tax practice at Baker McKenzie advises clients on local and international tax planning, litigation and compliance work, including customs duty matters. Frederick Burke oversees the team and services clients across the energy, infrastructure, and financial services spaces. Thanh Vinh Nguyen handles contentious tax matters whilst special counsel Thanh Hoa Dao provides corporate tax advisory work to clients. In Hanoi, Ngoc Trung Tran is also notable.
Frasers Law Company handles tax structuring of key transactions and cross-border tax planning for an international client base. Practice head Mark Fraser oversees a cross-disciplinary team that has expertise in the tax elements of M&A deals, while Justin Gisz advises major manufacturing companies on anti-counterfeiting and customs duty matters. Tax specialist Tran Lan Chi is the name for market entry advice, and the team has sector strength across retail, power, and infrastructure.
PRGX Global, Inc.
- Advising an Italian brand active in the fashion and retail sectors and carrying out “triangular” chain transactions between China, Italy and Vietnam.
- Advised Kimball Electronics Group in relation to fiscal matters, specifically a dispute on capital transfer tax as a result of the acquisition of GES VN by Kimball.
Operating since 2014, the tax practice at ACSV Legal handles tax and estate planning issues for private clients and foreign companies in Vietnam. Hieu Pham manages the team and advises on tax planning, asset management, and cross-border transfers of assets.
The tax group at ATS Law Firm in Hanoi provides a full-service taxation practice for local and international clients, particularly on tax disputes and transactional advice. Vu Thi Thu Ha leads the team which also handles compliance work and transfer pricing matters, while in Ho Chi Minh City, Vo Thi Nhu Ma is the main contact.
IDVN’s international trade and customs practice has broad expertise covering anti-dumping, investigations, and counter-vailing duties. The team led by trade specialist Nguyen Thi Phuong Thao has considerable cross-border experience and advises foreign manufacturers on anti-dumping investigations instigated by the Vietnam Ministry of Industry and Trade. Co-head and managing partner Dinh Anh Tuyet has over two decades of expertise and specialises in international trade law and trade disputes.
- Advised a major Chinese exporter of pre-painted galvanized steel in relation to an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Vietnam Ministry of Industry and Trade.
- Advised a major Malaysian exporter of stainless steel coils in relation to the sunset review of anti-dumping duty order imposed Vietnam Ministry of Industry and Trade.
- Advised two major Thai exporters of MDF board in relation to an anti-dumping duty investigation initiated by the Vietnam Ministry of Industry and Trade.
LNT & Partners’ tax practice offers a multidisciplinary approach for clients covering both contentious and non-contentious revenue work. Headed by Net Le and Minh Vu in Hanoi, the group advises foreign businesses on the tax consequences of their entry into the Vietnamese market, as well as advising large brands on taxation disputes. Thuy Nguyen in Ho Chi Minh City is also recommended and advises a number of household name businesses on their tax issues.
- Represented a multinational peer-to-peer ridesharing and ride service hailing app provider, in a tax dispute against the Ho Chi Minh City tax authority.
- Advised one of the largest consumer goods manufacturers in Vietnam on tax disputes with the government in relation to a claim of $40m in back taxes.
Vision & Associates
The tax team at Vision & Associates advises big-name clients on corporate transactions, income tax matters and foreign investments. Managing partner Quynh Anh Le oversees the group and advises on transactional and employment-related tax issues, and senior associate Vuong Son Ha is another core member of the team.