Labour and employment in Vietnam
The full-service employment practice at Baker McKenzie is led by the highly-regarded Thuy Hang Nguyen and has a strong track record in advising on contentious and non-contentious work for both local and international clients. The team acts on complex restructuring, labour litigation, and compliance matters. Quy Hoai Nguyen handles litigation work for clients operating in the oil and gas and construction areas, among others.
Other key lawyers:
Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers has a large employment offering and excels in labour-related litigation work for its global client base which includes well-known international businesses. Practice head Vu Thi Que regularly supports Chinese, Taiwanese and Japanese investor clients on matters pertaining to joint venture programs and day-to-day advisory work. Other co-head Chau Huy Quang is the key name for cross-border dispute resolution work. The team handles termination matters, COVID-related business downsizing, and work permit issues. Logan Leung handles contentious mandates.
‘We find the firm to be highly professional. We have engaged them on a retainer arrangement and they provide excellent services at a reasonable cost.
Que Vu provides excellent practical advice and input.’
Tilleke & Gibbins 'very knowledgeable' employment practice has expertise across the contentious and non-contentious spectrum and is headed by Kien Trung Trinh. The team handles staff restructuring, labour-management relations and litigation matters for global clients across sectors including technology. Experienced associate Chuyen Le has sector strength in the pharmaceutical industry whilst Thomas Treutler provides advisory work on Vietnamese labour law to foreign companies.
‘The Tilleke & Gibbins team is very knowledgeable about this area of law and has been a great resource for our firm. They are extremely responsive and professional and great about following up and providing updates when needed.’
‘Everyone weve worked with at Tilleke & Gibbins has been very helpful and professional.’
FMC Corporation/FMC Vietnam
Merck, Sharp & Dohme
MIMS Pte. Ltd.
- Regularly advise Lenovo as preferred local counsel in Vietnam on all matters related to labor and employment.
- Advised Chemonics on their policy manual, assisted with registering their internal labour regulations, drafted and reviewed employment agreements, and advised on other labour matters.
- Advised a high-profile international school on options for reducing personnel expenses when the firm was forced to close during the COVID-19 pandemic.
ATS Law Firm's labour practice advises clients on transactional and dispute resolution matters pertaining to employee exits as well as a range of non-contentious employment work. Vu Thi Thu Ha leads the group and acts for state-owned companies and international investors.
Frasers Law Company is skilled across a broad spectrum of employment matters, handling contentious and non-contentious work for a range of national and international clients. Practice head Mark Fraser acts for foreign investors and companies on labour legislation compliance, contractual work, and on the employment law implications of transactions. Justin Gisz is also active, and employee-employer IP ownership disputes remain a strength of the team.
Other key lawyers:
PRGX Global, Inc.
NVT Consulting Co., Ltd.
Origin Energy Australia
- Handling all of the employment aspects of Navitas’ restructuring of its business presence in Vietnam.
- Assisted PRGX Global, Inc in undertaking legal due diligence with respect to a proposed purchase of Profectus Vietnam Company Limited.
The Ho Chi Minh City-based employment team at VILAF advises domestic and foreign clients on all aspects of labour matters including complex restructuring, terminations and labour litigation. Led by Tung Ngo, the practice handles advisory work to leading clients in the tobacco, food and beverage, and pharmaceutical industries. Quynh Pham is a key contact for multinational companies who are involved in litigation, whilst Hien Tran has transactional employment law expertise.
- Advised Vietnam Singapore Industrial Park J.V., Co., Ltd on employment termination matters concerning companies operating in the park.
- Advised LOGOS Investment Manager Pty Ltd on establishing and operating a company in Vietnam.
- Advised a company on reports of sexual harassment direct at two female employees.